[Junk XIII] Leaving Trench (K 2-4, S 2-4)

edited October 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Stitch and Kiddo,

This fine morning, the pair of you are busy packing up your stuff to leave Trench. Sapphire is still asleep. The girl has barely even moved. She's still cut pretty bad, lost a good amount of blood. She should be blissed out for a week, really. Did you do that, Stitch?

The trucks are nearly done, Rinso is already sacked out on Betty, catching up on sleep. VB went out for a run around the walls of Trench this morning, she's feeling "super flash". Svenja as been helping with the cargo, so it's just the pair of you.

Comments

• I pull Stitch aside when she's got a free moment. "Stitch. Where in the name of frak did you find that girl." I say "that girl" with a knowing emphasis, because I know exactly who it is, and who was looking for her last night... Oh Sapphire. What the frak were you thinking?
  • Just so we're clear, I assume the scene begins in Stitch's room. You can head out into the hallway, if you like.
  • Yeah, I dosed Sapphire. I knew she'd bolt the moment she woke up and probably end up killing herself in the process.

"Outside Chedd's tent, near the wall. She fell." I explain. "Do you know her?"
  • I nod, "Yeah, I do... We go way back. Svenja told me you did your... Your thing on her, and you both passed out. Did you... Y'know... See anything? Like the last time we did it together?"
  • Some of it flashes before my eyes. "Yeah. Like last time. Except I didn't fix it this time." I say. I hang my head a bit.

I hesitate, not sure how much I should share. "I saw Hump, when he was younger. Her mom and dad. I saw... she killed a man last night- Paxo."
  • OOC: Just FYI. I presume we're in the room too.

Huh. I'd forgotten about that scuffle with Hump. Heh. Best I not bring that up with him again. He's still pretty sore about it all.

Shit... I look back down the hall of the tent and close the flap behind me. "A little birdie told me she killed Paxo for some VIP outside Trench... And I saw her coming in yesterday. Is she good to move around? Can she walk?" Frak... It sure doesn't look that way from here...
  • "She's gonna be out of it for a few days." I tell Kiddo. "We can put her in a truck- she shouldn't walk for a while. I'm not sure she's gonna like it if we take her with us, but I can't see any other options. Can't leave her here."
  • Kodak is gunna kill me. Doubly so if we get caught carrying her. Of course, I could always kill whoever gives me shit about it first... "She's gotta stay with us. Hidden from sight. I'm riding with you, in case shit goes down... OK?" I take a deep breath, and look over to Sapphire laying there on the ground... "You're right... She isn't going to like it — but I'm guessing she won't really give a shit until she wakes up, right?" Frak... Where the hell is her Ma'? It isn't right to just dump her somewhere when she wakes up...

"Did you know she hurt someone before you helped her, Stitch?"
  • "No, but she was covered in blood and holding a knife, so I put two and two together." I reply. "I healed her a bit, and then she asked for help."

I'm not in the business of judgement. If this girl killed someone she's going to need to answer for that. I couldn't just sit by while a kid died, though.

• I nod somberly. "Ok. Well... Can we move her? Rinso's already snoring up on Betty. Let's get her up with him, and you can jump behind the wheel, yeah?"
  • You work with Rinso to sneak the blissed out Sapphire in between a set of crates on Betty. Kiddo, you ride with Stitch and VB sticks with Kodak. In less than a half hour, the outer gates of Trench are open wide and you ride out.

So Stitch, you plan on healing Sapphire a few miles outside of town. How are you handling that? Just pulling the caravan over, slimbing back there and doing it? Kiddo, are you running interference?

Or are you fessing up?
  • I'm not running interference. Frak, I don't give a shit if Kodak, or the boys see Stitch healing a kid. She's frakking hurt! I'm sitting on top of some crates with my boomstick in hand, watching Stitch do her work.
  • edited October 2013
    As you stop the truck, so does Motel and Kodak. Kodak starts walking back to see if anyone blew a tire. He gets to your truck first, since you're in the middle. Stitch, I assume you're heading back now, so Kiddo, he asks you, "Hey Kiddo. Did Motel stop, or did you? What's up?" He's got a bit of a I-really-don't-want-another-tragedy look on his face.
  • I'm swinging my feet innocently as he approaches. "We did. Doc has a patient we picked up in Salt that needs some attending to. She'll just be a minute."
  • edited October 2013
    Kiddo,

Kodak nods, "Ah...from last night, huh. Alright. How long will she be, you think?"
  • I shrug, "Shouldn't be more than a few minutes... Last time she did this it was pretty quick. What's left on the tour, Kodak? I told Hump we wouldn't be much longer than a week — does Ivory's temper tantrum last night set us back?"
  • edited October 2013
    Kiddo,

Kodak chews the inside of his cheek, "We hit Armour later tonight, fuel up there. Then we meet up with the buyers of our main haul in the morning, do the trade and head back." He seems pretty nonchalant about it.

Then he shifts, scratches the back of his neck, "Kiddo, the whole Ivory thing, that's gonna cost dad maybe a jingle. I was thinking... would it piss you off too bad if you and Stitch drove straight on past Trench, then waited out of sight for me and the crew to head into Trench and trade? We wouldn't lose much time, really, and it would make sure we turn a profit on this trip."
  • Bypass Trench with Sapphire all together? Hell yes! "Sure. You gunna be spending the night there? Watch will be a bit tight with just the two of us, but if you let me take Vee it wouldn't be so bad." I know I can't see it from here... But I crane my neck up in the direction of the Ascendant, in hopes I might catch a glimpse. It's a long ways from here, if I remember... Too far to try for it overnight...
  • edited October 2013
    Kiddo,

Kodak shakes his head, "Unless there's twice the line as yesterday, it should be half a day tops. So, you, VB and Stitch go on, while Rinso, Svenja, Bank, Motel and I head into Trench. That works for you?"
  • I nod, "That works. The sooner we can leave that place in the dust, the better. Just keep Rinny close, yeah? He'll keep you folks safe."
  • edited October 2013
    Kiddo,

Kodak nods. Then, he sort of makes this face like he's doing math. Then he cocks his head, glances up where Rinso was perched before you stopped, then back to you. "What's.... uh. What's the deal with you two now? Seems like. Well, things have changed."
  • Urgh... Kodak is the last man I'd expect to have this conversation with; but I guess there's no avoiding it, especially since Rinso's looking to make this "official" now. I stand up, and climb my way down the side of the truck to join him.

"Rinny and I," I say looking around cautiously, before looking back to Kodak with confidence, "are trying something." That came out kind of "matter of factly" — but then I guess I'm subconsciously kind of proud that I get to rub this in Kodak's face.

... OK. I'm more than proud. This is pretty frakking funny.

"We talked back at Salt. I heard some bad news about my parents, and he was there for me... One thing led to another, and now here we are." I take a deep breath, a bit giddy just thinking about it, "I was hesitant to lead him on, but we agreed to try and make what we have work... He loves me the way I am." I'm kind of beaming at that.
  • Kiddo,

It takes a moment for Kodak to get that this is aimed right at him. He sort of looks away, then says, "Well... I hope he makes you happy, Kiddo. I really do. I know you've been searching for someone special. And I, uh, I hope he's the one."
  • What? ... Is this the Kodak that called me a slut? The one that made me feel like shit for being myself? I think I've been staring at him skeptically for a while now... This just doesn't make sense...

OOC: read incoming.
  • OOC: Reading Kodak. Roll+Sharp. +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 2. Total: 7)
  • I can't help but wonder what Kodak is feeling right now...
  • Kiddo,

Right now, Kodak is annoyed. He's figured out that this Rinso thing is just something you're trying to throw in his face because he wanted you to be his and you slept around on him. Like now Rinso is the perfect man because he accepts you? Right. No, he's above this petty fight, he's said what he had to say, and who knows? Who the frak knows? In the one and a million chance you aren't full of drek, then go BE happy with Rinso.

And maybe, Kodak thinks, maybe he should hook up with VB. Would you like that? He could throw that in your face. Damnit. She hasn't frakked somebody at every single stop so far, and it isn't like he's even trying to pay attention to it. It's just so obvious.

But yeah, now Rinso is your big love. Good luck with that.

That's how he's feeling.
  • I did not frakking sleep around on him! We were over before I even slapped his jealous frakking face! We were over the minute that vile word hit his frakking teeth, and that he still frakking thinks that way is frakking bullshit! My nostrils flare, and I struggle not to slap him again.

"He is special," I whisper through clenched teeth. He isn't a chauvinist pig who degrades women! He doesn't call me on things I don't do! And if Kodak hurts Vee, I swear to frak I will make him hurt in ways he couldn't possibly imagine. She had more than enough shit when that asshole Ziploc was in her life — and I was more than happy to send that frakker a message when I found out what he was doing to her. "And for the record — frakking someone to prove a point is a good way to get labeled a slut in these parts."

I would frakking know, after all! Asshole!
  • Kiddo,

Kodak shrugs, "Listen, Kiddo. Let's leave the past in the past. Alright? We didn't work out. But now, we're working together." He glances past you, then back to you, "Let's not make it a thing, ok?"
  • I set up Sapphire as best I can and lay hands on her again.

OOC: Healing touch incoming.
  • OOC: Healing touch. Roll+weird. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 2. Total: 9)
  • Frakking hypocrite. Don't feel so high and mighty when someone calls you on your shit, do you? I narrow my eyes at him, and purse my lips. "Your Dad's a good man, Kodak — and I'm gunna do my job, 'cause I like him." I turn back to the truck, and start climbing up, "I'm not looking to relive my past, Kodak. Make this as big of a thing as you want, and I'll follow your lead."
  • OOC: Act under fire. Roll+sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 3. Total: 9)
  • Stitch,

You place your hands on Sapphire's tummy and begin to draw the wound together. This time, the pathways are easier to manage. You realize that the tag-a-long Sapphire is still here, still running the endless track of her own pained history. She didn't get the luxury of an escape, of Svenja pulling her out of it. She's been here, stuck like this, for torturous hours.

You heal her, you feel her body mend to perfect health. But you're going to need to lead her out of her own mental abyss, Stitch. They say you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Tell Sapphire one happy thing you've found about living here on Junk World. Something worth coming back to, even if she herself might not find it right away.
  • Kiddo,

Kodak lets you go, then heads around the truck, to the other side, walking down to Caroline, to check on Motel and Bank. Rinso's been hovering around near the back of the truck for a bit, wanting to help Stitch, but really, what the hell can he do?

As you shut the truck door, Rinso comes up and leans against the window sill. Since there's no AC in Betty, you rolled out with the windows down, so he looks in at you, "Hey Kiddo," He's smiling. "I couldn't help but, you know, overhear you and Kodak... you alright?" He's still smiling, but the question, the check-in, it's sincere.
  • In the landscape of our minds, I kneel down on the ground, waiting for tag-a-long Sapphire to come to me- when she's ready. If she's willing, I cradle her in my arms.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper to her. "This place is stone hard with sharp edges- but you know what? That means when you find people who care about you, they are easy to spot. Hey. It gets better- I'm actual living proof of that, ok?"

I show her some of my own scars- that day with the doctor, Ethan's face after I fractured his cheekbone and buried down deep- my own mother always pushing me, never satisfied with what I accomplished. It's not the same, but I hope it shows her that she is not alone.
  • I lean out the window, and plant a long kiss on Rinso. When that's done, I pull back and smile. "Don't change, Rinny. I'll be fine."
  • Stitch,

Yes, in this dream-state, hidden away from the world, Sapphire does let you cradle her. The warmth suffuses her, and a piece of her opens up to you. Stitch, she says in your mind, Thank you for bringing me back. I have to keep earning. I want to find good people. I do. But Branny took my little brother, I have to buy him back. Then I'll look for good people. Like you.

Then you're looking at her in the meat-space. And she opens her eyes and looks at you. For a flicker of a moment, that same innocent truth of the moment in her mind, it holds. But you see it, the world darkens her look, around her eyes first, then it passes to her lips, which tighten, the her jaw, neck muscles, even her shoulders shift to a defensive posture. She says hoarsely, "We're outside?"

Kiddo,

Rinso returns the kiss, the smile still there. "I do love you the way you are, Kiddo. If you can't make this thing we're trying work, just tell me. I'm here for you." He brushes a hair out of your face and just smirks, like he could look at you all day.
  • "Yes." I answer her. "A little ways outside of Trench."

I want to tell her that I brought her out her so the guards wouldn't get her, but it doesn't matter- she's going to believe what she wants. I take my hands off her and give her space, trying to be as non-threatening as I can.

I want to ask what her brother's name is. Ask her to tell me about him. Ask her what I can do to help, but I stay quiet.
  • Stitch,

Sapphire looks around while sitting up. "I recognize these trucks. You're with Kiddo?" She's looking down at the now tiny white scar on her tummy, checking her once-broken arm.
  • I nod my head. "Yes."

OOC: Read a person incoming.
  • OOC: Read Sapphire. Roll+sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 3. Total: 7)
  • "What are you going to do?" I ask her.

OOC: What does your character intend to do?
  • Stitch,

"Get you your jingle," she says while rubbing her healed arm like it's tingly, "I buried it out here in the scrub." She stands up, walks to the edge of the truck, past you to look across the road and the area outside, trying to gauge where she is.

She looks over her little shoulder back at you, Stitch, "Wanna walk with me? It won't take long, really." She looks back at Caroline, up top at Svenja, then back to you, "I won't hurt you, Stitch. Pinky swear."
  • I keep smiling, a bit giddy that Rinso's above this crap. Someone has to be, I guess... I rest my forehead against his — 'cause it's not every day I'm tall enough for that — and whisper, "you'll be the first to know if something doesn't work, sweetie. Just stay professional with that asshole, OK? Our business is none of his business."

I give him another quick kiss, and look back into the bed of the truck. "Are they done back there? We should get going..."
  • Kiddo,

Rinso looks back, mumbles quiet, "Looks like spitfire is up." He huffs a little sigh, "This won't be fun. She's more prickly than Venger."
  • I frown a bit, "C'mon Rinny, she's just a kid — and it ain't like she had the most loving family, like I did..." I brush his cheek, and slip out of the truck, slamming the door behind me. "She's just living in the shadow of her Ma', yeah?"

I mean, what woman isn't? I slip a hand in Rinso's back pocket and walk over to the back of the truck, to see what's up.
  • "Yeah." I say, following Sapphire. "A couple minutes." I shout up to Svenja. When Sapphire says pinky swear, I break out in a huge grin and hold my pinky out to her, daring her to shake it.

"Ok, but I'm only gonna take one." I tell her. I frakked her up right good last night, it wouldn't be right of me to take two. If I could get away with taking nothing, I'd try, but I'm certain she'd take that the wrong way.
  • Stitch,

Sapphire walks two steps closer, looks down at your pinky, glances up to see if anyone's around, then does a little half smirk and reaches up to take it in her own pinky. "Didn't know that was a real thing. Just something my..." she trails off, breaks the contact, turns and hops down to the bumper, then the ground.

Kiddo,

Sapphire walks around to the edge of the truck, looks down to see you and Rinso. "Hey there." Then she looks back for Stitch.

What do you do?
  • I hop up on the side of the truck, and poke my head in. "You alright, Saff? Doc found you pretty messed up last night..."
  • Sapphire quips, "You should see the other guy."

She walks towards you, still lagging behind for Stitch, and looks along the trucks, like she's working a puzzle quietly. She asks, "Why didn't you guys trade? You have the same drek as yesterday. Just fueling up?"
  • I grin when she takes my pinky, a tiny part of my heart I thought was gone melting.

I follow Sapphire. "I.. uh. I sort of took a swing at Ivory." I admit sheepishly.
  • edited October 2013
    Heh. That makes me smirk. Somehow I doubt she's lying, too, which is kind of terrifying for someone her age... I shake my head when she asks what we were up to. "Let's be fair, Stitch," I say, holding out a hand, "Ivory got all up in my face, so Stitch put a fist in his. The boys'll hit the trade up on the way back south, and we'll chill outside the gates until they're done."

She's a sharp one, yeah? "Where you headed Saff? If you're heading our way, we could give you a lift!"
  • Sapphire snorts at the bit about Ivory. "Hate that guy."

When you ask about where she's headed, she says, "I got my own bike, Kiddo." She huffs a laugh, "You think I walked out here?"

Then, Sapphire starts walking off the road, sort of a stroll, really. Heading out into the scrub, sort of towards Trench.

What do you do?
  • I turn to Stitch, kind of confused that she's letting her patient walk off like that... "Is she good to go? Is it really safe to let her?"
  • "Yeah." I answer Kiddo, nodding. "She's gonna pay me. We'll be right back."

As for safe... If someone paid her enough she'd go after anyone, I know that, but safe enough, I guess.
  • Let the only doc in the bunch walk off with someone wanted for murder in Trench? No... That doesn't sit well. "I'll go with. It's been a while since I've seen Sapphire."
  • Sapphire mutters, "Great. It's a frakkin tea party now."

Rinso gives you a look, Kiddo. Says low, "I'll keep a scope on you, kay?"

Kodak yells from Caroline, "Don't take long, alright?"
  • I groan. What I wouldn't give for tea...
  • "I like Tea," I say with a smile. I turn back to Rinso and give him a quick peck on the cheek, then nod to Kodak.
  • So yeah, you three gals stroll out into the scrub for a bit. Sapphire's not chatty, so really, any conversation here is on you.
  • Well frak, I'm chatty! I stride a few paces behind the group, and loudly ask, "What're you doin' this far up north, Saff? Last I heard your Ma' and Dad was running down south."
  • "Guess we're all abandoned now, hunh?" Sapphire says, squinting and looking up at you, Kiddo.
  • Ouch. I shut my trap, not having anything useful to say.
  • Was that a quip at me? I sure frakking hope not! How was I supposed to know she got abandoned? It's not like it's hard to find Fox and LeeValley if you're really looking. I look off vaguely down south, and bite the inside of my lip nervously. "I know folks down south if you're looking to find 'em... We're circling back down there in a day or two — we could take you with us."
  • "Got business to do up here." She says, looking back at you, Kiddo. "So, caravan guards, hunh?"

Then Sapphire looks to you, "Hey Stitch, that IV you stuck me with, that was a clean stick. My veins are hard to find sometimes."
  • "Nah, yours weren't too bad. I remember this one guy when I was in med school... stabbed that poor guy ten times before I could get it in. The other students called me Lizzy B. for the longest time!"
  • And I thought I was mouthy... Frak. I shrug off her comment — she should know more than anyone that jingle is jingle... When Stitch tells her story, I look at her funny. "Why Lizzy B?"
  • Sapphire snorts, but you're pretty sure she doesn't get the reference to Lizzy B either.
  • "Lizzy Borden lived on Earth way back when- killed her parents by stabbing them repeatedly with an axe. There's a rhyme..." Right, Stitch, because murder is HIGH-larious. I stop myself. The nickname was funny at the time.
  • That gets Sapphire giggling. Not snorting and whatever. Like giggling like a girl, putting her hand over her mouth and just laughing, genuinely laughing. It fades before long, and she points up ahead to a funky looking purple cactus. "My, heh, my gunna is over there. By the purple prick.... heh heh"

Which, now that she said it, that plant does resemble an erect penis. A little.
  • My jaw drops a little. Those aren't the stories I heard about the old world... Frak. "That's uh... That's pretty morbid, sweetie," I say with a chuckle, but I'm full on laughing when I spot the purple ... Cactus thingy. "If those are the pricks you've been seeing, Saff, you should come hang out with me for a bit. That looks right painful."
  • Sapphire still has her hand over her mouth when you suggest prick education and her smile evaporates. She picks up her walking pace to the purple cactus and says, "Paxo tried to frak me last night. I saw his prick. They're frakkin gross, Kiddo."

Then she reaches the plants and drops down to her knees in that un-self-conscious way kids do, need to hit the ground, just hit the ground. She reaches into the dirt and pulls up a blanket that she covered with brush, and starts lifting it up and over the stuff underneath.

There's a long bag, you see the barrel of a sweet sniper rifle peeking out the top, plus there are saddle bags on her bike.

She reveals a well maintained red dirt bike, looks like this:

Kiddo, where have you seen this bike before?

She reaches down to pick up the bike by its handlebars, and grins up at you, Stitch. "Pretty flash, huh? Got it for a twofer."

What do you do?

• I snort and it dissolves into laughter.

"She's not kidding." I say to Sapphire. "She hangs with Rinso, who is plenty nice to look at."

What? I'm not saying anything anybody doesn't already know...
  • My face flames with embarrassment and I'm glad when Sapphire starts uncovering her stuff.

A... twofer? Like two jingle? Or killing two people... I don't think I wanna know. "Nice." I say
  • "When do you turn around and head back south?" Sapphire asks as he bends down to check over the bike.
  • I'm about to comment about how some dicks are better than others, and that — really — they aren't much to look at unless you know what you're looking for... But then, I know what it's like to have people treat you like meat, and do things against your will. I keep my mouth shut. "Paxo got what was coming to him then," I say coolly.

I remember that bike! Ma' and I found it with a stash of four others during a junkfall! Those things are frakking rare! I tried using one for a while, following Ma' around, but it's just not the same as a bike, yeah? I need that big, powerful rumble between my legs, or it just ain't worth it.

... Man, I miss riding with my Ma'...

Then Stitch comments about Rinso being nice to look at, and I stare at her blankly. That's twice today I've turned to Stitch and looked at her like she has two heads... Did Stitch just compliment Rinny? ... Whatever.

I sniffle, and watch as Sapphire sets up her bike. "We head to Armour tonight, deal a bit in the morning, then turn around and start the trip south. I've got some shit to take care of down in Boomtown, but then I'll be riding back north here a few days later... I've got some business of my own to take care of at the Ascendant."
  • Stitch, you see Sapphire freeze when Kiddo mentions the Ascendant. Like, she's got a little wrench and shes reattaching a hose and she just stops. She drops the kickstand, turns around while still hunched over, squinting up at you, "What're you doin at the Ascendant?"
  • "Got word my Ma' and Dad were there getting medical treatment for my Dad." I turn to Stitch, "for lung cancer, about a year ago. That's what I wanted to ask you about..." I look back to Sapphire, "If they're there, I'm gunna go bitchslap 'em for leaving Hump and I behind. If they're not, then I'm gunna go find out where they went."
  • "Branny needs a bitchslap." Sapphire says. Then coldly, "I'm gonna kill him. For free."
  • I take it Branigans is the business Saff mentioned earlier then... Fine by me. "If Branigans has anything to do with my parents being missing, then I'd hold him down for you." It's frakking creepy to hear her talk so casually about killing someone for free though... Killing is rarely personal for folks like Sapphire. Branigans must have done something really frakking stupid to piss her off that much.
  • Sapphire hops on her bike, then leans down to carefully pick up her gun bag, slips it on her back, "It's been a year, Kiddo. They're either dead or moved on. And we both know your ma and pa. They'd come back for you and Hump. So my bet is, they're dead." She reaches into a saddle bag, pulls out a pair of goggles and puts them on, "I'll take you up on the holding him down bit. Just learned about neckties recently."

Stitch, she looks over to you, "Want a ride back? It's a lil bike, can only carry one."
  • That's the last frakking straw. This mouthy little twat needs to be taught a lesson. My nostrils flare, and eyes narrow as I walk up to Sapphire's bike. I kick her shitty little bike over, staring her dead in the eyes, and tower over her miserable little frame. "You don't know nothing little girl," I growl, "so you best keep that in mind the next time you go betting on things."
  • I take one step to get in between them and get a death glare from the pair of them. Okay. I'm just gonna walk myself back to the trucks, shall I? Let them deal with each other.

I know I should probably stop them, but it's not my battle. "Catch you around, Sapph. Kiddo- I'm putting my foot on the gas five minutes after I get in that truck."
  • Sapphire didn't see that coming, so she goes down with the bike. As she's falling, she slips the gun bag off her shoulders and when she hits the ground, she's scrambling away from you, Kiddo.

Its obvious that she isn't completely healed because that drop hurt. She's got a strap from her bag and she doesn't have anything on her, but she's probably got a handgun in there. Of course, you've got the drop on her with your boomstick, Kiddo.

Stitch, you're not sure if Sapphire heard you, she's totally focused on Kiddo.

"Frak you, Kiddo!" Sapphire spits, "You've been down south, you don't EVEN know what that brain frakker does to people! You ask me, they're probably better off dead! Better than being Branny's little dolls! You think Ziploc was bad? He isn't drek!"
  • I'm just standing there, stone cold staring at her. Better off? They're better off? Does she frakking think this is about them? No. This is about Hump and me. This is about family, and what's better off for us.

I get down on my haunches, the sun at my back, and coldly whisper,"The frakker who kills my parents is gunna learn a whole new lesson in pain, Saff. If Branigans did anything to them — anything at all — other than get them back on their feet, I'm gunna trap him in that frakked up brain of his, and watch the crows eat him piece by piece." I stand there quiet a while, sizing her up. This bitch is lucky I don't kill kids.

Stitch is walking? Good. "Best you ride off then," I whisper as I rise to my feet, brushing the dirt off my shins, "When I come back up here, I'm bringing hell with me for anyone gets in my way." Then I'll turn and start the walk back to the trucks.

Frakking mouthy bitch.
  • Kiddo,

You're walking away, and Sapphire doesn't say anything for a few steps. She's heaving breaths, furious and scared all at the same time. Then she says just loud enough for you to hear, "He has Sunkist, Kiddo. I never saw your parents when I was there."
  • I want to tell them not to fight. That they want the same thing. But neither is gonna hear me right now.

I wait until Saff looks at me and I wave her goodbye, sticking my tongue out at her.
  • edited October 2013
    That gives me pause... I stop and turn to look at her over my shoulder.

"... I hadn't heard that," I answer, just above a whisper. That's not good... I dunno what it is Branny has on Sunkist — maybe he's trying to get to Fox — but Sunkist is way too young to be in his hands...

"I need time to sort some things out," I turn to face her, "when I'm done down south, I'm gunna ride back north with my crew. If you help me find my folks, I'll help you get your brother back."

That's the deal. A flat, one time offer.
  • edited October 2013
    Sapphire's eyes are slits when you talk down to her (literally, not in tone or anything). She hops up, walks over to her bike and picks it up, not breaking eye contact. You can just feel the anger burning off her, but she's heard your offer.

She pulls her goggles back down and before she starts up her bike, says, "If I haven't already paid Branny his frakking blood money to get Sunkist myself, then we got a deal.... you know, Kiddo. I used to think you were flash."

The bike whines to life, having that shrill high sound that little dirt bikes have. She rides off past you, Kiddo.

Stitch, Sapphire rides up close to you, slows down and she leaves the engine running but sort of walks the bike with her feet. She says loud, "Stitch! You ninny, you didn't take your jingle!" She tries to smile, but she isn't so good at smiling. She reaches into her saddle bag, pulls out a grocery bag, hands it to you, then nods, like she's marking it off her list.

As Sapphire kicks her bike up and zips across the scrub, you look int the bag, right? It's a Rainbow bag, a couple of them, actually, one inside the other. Ratty, one part scotch taped over a hole. Inside is a six pack of Hershey bars with almonds, still in their wrappers, a pack of Black Cat M-80 firecrackers, a pack of matches from some bowling alley, three pink ribbons, a set of little plasticy butterfly hair-bows. four AAA batteries, a stick of slightly used red lipstick and a girl Lego with fairy wings.

What do you do?
  • I smirk when she says she used to think I was flash — like that's some grand insult or something. It's the top shelf for kids — that you've changed, and not for the better. The truth is, nobody wants to be the kind of awesome kids think are flash — and I don't give a flying frak what Sapphire thinks of me. What I am, can get her little brother back.

Let's get the frak out of here.
  • --END SCENE--