[Junk XIII] Toll Charge (K 2-5, S 2-5)

edited October 2013 in Junkworld XIII
It's late afternoon, and the radio is playing Junk Radio. Hump just finished strumming and singing a soft little tune.

Hump sings:
"Saw them gathering sticks from the ground,
By the thicket while assembling the nest.

On alert for any lingering threat,
Building frantically without rest.

Walls grew dense and blocked out the sun,
Caving in everyone.

Darkness fell, wiped a once joyous tone,
Then famished, like possessed ended eating their own."

Then the song ends, and after a pause, Hump says into the mic, "Love ya, sis." Kiddo, there were a few hiccups along the way, but he's getting better. What notes would you give him if you could?

KellyTires comes on after he finishes, "Thanks, Humphrey. That was beautiful. What do y'all think, hunh? A real star. Well, it's getting close to night now and our radio tech, who says hey to his favorite doc out there, says we're running low on petrol right now, so we're shutting down broadcasts at night for the next week. I know, I'm sorry! But don't you worry, things are looking up, we've heard that Radio Tower Two will begin construction any day now, and then we can push the signal farther."

"Speaking of which, our little caravan friends are probably reaching the end of our range pretty soon. Hey there Kodak, Svenja, Stitch, VB, Kiddo, Bank and Motel. Hope y'all are doing well. We can't wait to see y'all again in a few days."

That's when you see the brake lights for Kodak's truck come on, and he brings his truck to a slow stop. Both of you see that ahead the road is blocked by a large gate and maybe a dozen motorcycles, some with riders, others parked by the gate.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I'd make the crack about fingering again, but you've heard it at this point... We've all heard it. Really the only thing Hump needs now is some frakking confidence! There's nothing worse than listening to someone sing a song when they ain't sure they're gunna hit the notes. Hell, half the time the only reason they don't is 'cause they think they can't, yeah? Hump has the voice, and the skill, to really rock that shit... He's just gotta believe he can do it.

Sing into the mic like it called your Ma' a bitch! Or better yet, sing like you ain't got one to the folks on the other side of the room! It ain't hard.

Anyway, the break lights come on, and catch my by surprise. I had to grab the damn dashboard to keep myself from smacking into it! I hop outta the truck, my boomstick in hand, and approach the gate, "What the frak is this shit!? Clear the frakking road!"
  • Rinso hustles to get off the back of your truck and catch up with you. When you pass Kodak, he calls down, "Hey, Kiddo. Be careful. Don't stir up too much drek."

You're yelling ahead to the group when you realize that all of them are women. Alright, many of them are just girls, mostly teens. And ahead is one girl who is walking right towards you, wearing orange pants, a half-top and a weird gas/hockey mask thing.

When you get close enough to make out faces, she pushes the mask up and you see her. It's Omo:

She smiles wide, showing her missing upper tooth and says, "Hey HEY, Kiddo! How the frak you doin? Hells, what are you doing up HERE?" While she's all smiles, she's got a hatchet in her left hand, which looks used. Also, the six girls on bikes have mostly hand weapons, a few guns.

Rinso's coming up behind you, staying back enough to give you cover if needed.

What do you do?
  • I have to squint and look closer before I recognize the girl behind the mask, "Omo? " I'm a bit surprised, actually, that she'd even be up here with ... A bunch of armed women on motorcycles... Well that's just frakking flash... I stop a few paces back from the group. Far enough that shooting a pistol might be a bit of a gambit.

"I'm running security for this caravan," I answer back, the boomstick at the ready if these bitches decide talking isn't worth it anymore. I guess it's time to ask the obvious: "You ladies running together? What're you doing out here?"
  • Omo pulls up maybe a couple meters away. She's standing feet wide on the center of the road. "Yeah, Kiddo! This is my crew! And I'm not Omo no more!" She smiles wide, then proclaims, "I'm Spree! We're the new Candies, yo!"

She looks back at her girls, raising her hatchet. They catcall and whoop it up a bit.

Behind you, Rinso mutters, "Oh.... frak me running."

What do you do?
  • edited October 2013
    I smile widely at the message from Metro. I'm looking forward to getting back to Salt.

I stay in the damn truck, way back behind Kodak. I'm a coward and I know it.
  • I look back to Rinso with a big smile on my face, "cover me, hot stuff!"

I stray into the warzone, and stride right up to Omo with my Auntie Ruth's boomstick clutched firmly in my hands. I'm not breaking eye contact with her. Clearly, this bitch doesn't know what being a Candy actually means. When I'm close enough to talk comfortably, I walk and talk. "Funny," I say looking around the crowd, "I don't recognize anyone here except you who rode with the Candies. Maybe you girls should consider another name, yeah? I don't think the real Candies would appreciate you using their names."
  • Kiddo,

Spree is still smiling, the hatchet still up high, "Eh, the Candies are olllld, and they're all down south. We're like, an auxiliary branch or something!"

Then you're close and talking low and she drops her voice, "These girls, they're not so bad. And no disrespect to your ma. Plus... seen any Wendys up here?" She grins again, a little bit of pride.
  • Stitch,

VB comes skipping along from the front truck to yours. She pulls open the passenger door and climbs up, "Hey. Kodak wanted me to check on you. You okay, Stitch?"
  • "Yeah, I'm fine. What's going on up there?" Between the exhaustion yesterday and the drama between Kiddo and Saff, I just want to find a quiet corner of this planet and never hear anyone threaten to kill anyone ever again.
  • No disrespect? Somehow I doubt my Ma' would appreciate being called old by some spoiled kid with a hatched.

The Wendys comment catches me a little off guard, "You're saying you ladies kicked the Wendys out of the North? Have you noticed they're riding further south now?"
  • Stitch,

VB smirks, "Kiddo's gonna kill Omo, I think. Then, Rinso is gonna shoot a bunch of those ganger girls. And we'll punch it, and come right up on the roadblock, but veer off to the left and drive right around it. And the gangers will either chase us or let us go.... at least, that's what I'm guessing."

She snickers, "Not like flyin in big spaceships, eh?"
  • Kiddo,

Spree blinks, "Welllll, no. We don't ride south. But yeah, we took four of them down. Pretty flash, yeah? I'm teachin em to ride and drink an frak. It's pretty badass.... and the old thing, sorry about the old thing."
  • "Uh, no. And I didn't even fly the damn spaceship." I answer Vee.

I try and commit the plan to memory and keep my hands on the wheel.
  • Stitch,

VB replies casually, "Really? That stinks. I would totally complain." She starts picking through the bag beside you, the one Sapphire gave you, "What's this? Holy DREK, that's chocolate!" She doesn't grab it, just stares at it like it's a fabled artifact. Or a lightsaber or something.
  • edited October 2013
    Ah... I see. Twelve woman take down four Wendys on the edge of their territory, and suddenly she's Abba Zaba or something. "You girls are gunna get yourselve hurt," I offer, shaking my head, "best you stay away from those frakkers, yeah?" I sniffle, and look around the group again...

What a bunch of amateurs...

I motion back to the trucks, "we're coming through, yeah? Move the shit."
  • "Is that rare here?" I ask. Come to think of it, I haven't had any chocolate since waking up. I open up a bar and toss Vee half- that girl could use some empty calories.
  • Kiddo,

Spree laughs, "Hah, Kiddo... you're funny. Its the Wendys who will get hurt!" She turns to the other girls, a couple whoop.

She turns back to you, "Got three trucks, yeah? That's flash. Headin to Armour?" She says it like she's making conversation. Then she adds in, "There's a toll. I'll cut you a break, since we're old friends and all. One barter. And that goes both ways. Just don't tell the girls I asked for so little."

What do you do?
  • edited October 2013
    Stitch,

VB goggles at you, "Rare? Yeah!" She stops talking when you actually open the Hershey, stares at it, mouth agape. Then you hand her half and she keeps staring at it for a moment in dumbfound silence.

"Gods... I think I love you, Stitch." She gingerly breaks off one square, sniffs it for a bit, then takes a nibble. Then another. Then she puts the rest in her mouth and makes nearly obscene noises of pleasure. Her eyes, they roll back in her head and she pants for a moment.

She has a second square and with half-lidded eyes, she says, "Oh Stitch, this is blowing my mind. I haven't... I haven't had chocolate since Zips gave me..." She shuts her mouth, like that was a gaffe, and she covers it by chewing.
  • I chuckle a little to myself, and smile. "I'm not paying your bullshit toll, Omo. Move your shit."
  • edited October 2013
    Kiddo,

"It's Spree," she responds curtly. "I don't wanna fight you... again, Kiddo. But Payday needs a doc, and my girls need to eat. We do the north a service, keepin the Wendys outta here. So I figure its only fair."

Behind her, you can see the girls are getting the message that you're not playing along. Most of them are soft, yeah. Amateurs. But one of them is a threat. What is it that you pick out about her?
  • That bitch behind Omo? You ever hear of a girl named Cherry? Ran around with an assassin named Ace. She was a good friend of lime's. Well that's her little sister — well, not by blood or nothing — but she was trained by Ace and everything. Cherry wasn't a Candy, but she's the only one of these bitches with the chops to do maybe do it. I wouldn't doubt for a second that girl's on par too.

Kodak's words run through my head, and I suddenly realize if I run this gate, these bitches just might be dumb enough to chase us down. I scowl hard at Omo, and get closer to her — looking real menacing. "Fair would be if you wiped those assholes the frak off this piece of shit rock — then maybe I'd consider paying your bullshit toll."

OOC: Read incoming.
  • OOC: Reading Omo (and totally not Spree). roll+sharp. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 5, 1. Total: 7)
  • OOC: How can I get Omo to let us ride through free of charge?
  • edited October 2013
    Spree smiles, showing her teeth (including the missing front tooth), "Think of it as a surcharge or somethin, Kiddo. We guarantee safe passage up to Armour and back. That's a good deal! You and your crew can relax for a bit, and I can get my girls somethin to eat and get some meds for Pay. Win win."

You can't. She's set up this damn roadblock and if she just lets you through, they'll lose faith in her. Plus, the way she's saying "my girls", you don't think she means "the gang of girls behind me". It has a more familiar, family tone. And she's really worried about Payday. So she means to get some jingle from this. She doesn't want to murder a bunch of folks, she knows that she'll lose some Candies if a fight breaks out, but well... that's the life, right? Least, that's how she sees it.

If you dropped Spree right here and now, though. You'd get a +1 Ongoing dealing with North Candies. Just so you know.

And in case it isn't clear. When I say "drop", I mean kill.
  • Frak... Frak! You just had to mention that didn't you?

I sigh, and move in closer to her... Whispering, "you've said that twice now... What do you mean by your girls?"

I'm gunna regret this...
  • Kiddo,

Spree beams, "My lil ones, Kiddo. Just a year old, they're fighters, though. Gave em Candy names, so they'll grow up badass. Abba an Zabba. After... you know, after her." Saying their names gives her a little resolve, sort of reminds her what she's got to fight for. "Been nice catchin up. But you an I both got drek to do. So, how does this play?"
  • edited October 2013
    I narrow my eyes and purse my lips into a straight narrow line. Omo has kids, huh? What a disgusting thought that is... Named after Abba, to boot... Idiot frakking bitch...

I really want to cap this idiot bitch... She's gunna get herself killed, and it might as well be sooner rather than later... But if that's true... I couldn't orphan her stupid kids...

Of course I don't have any jingle left. "Wait here," I growl, more than a little pissed off, "kids gotta eat..."

I'm heading right past the lead truck to Stitch's stick. I don't like taking advances on pay... But I don't mind owing my crew. "Stitch!" I call out, when I'm club we enough, "You got any spare jingle for this road block? I'll owe you one..."
  • Rinso comes up behind you, Kiddo. He puts a hand on your shoulder. Then, Rinso is looking up at you, Stitch. "I got the jingle, Kiddo, it's no problem. But one of hers is sick. Can you help, Stitch?"

Oh Kiddo, VB has some brown drek on her cheek and she's sort of sitting there, chewing slowly, eyes closed and basically high as a kite, it looks like.
  • I don't ask about Zips, though I file the name away in my head- maybe I'll ask Kiddo about it.

I get out of the truck. "Yeah." I say to Rinso. It's funny because I'm a coward up until the point where someone needs a doctor, then I'd run into a firefight. I wouldn't mind some of that courage in my day to day life...
  • edited October 2013
    I take a finger and wipe off some of the brown stuff from her cheek, sniff it, and taste it... Where the frak did she get chocolate? "Vee, sweetie? You should probably clean yourself up, yeah? Looks like you've got shit all over your face." Gods... It's just like when Ziploc was around...

I look back to Stitch, "Ok, sweetie. Let's go deal with this." I guide her back to the "Candies," and offer up introductions. "Stitch, these here are the Northern Candies," I do little air quotes around that, "Northern Candies, this is Stitch. She's a doctor. She's offered to take a look at PayDay in exchange for passage." I look right to Omo, "Or, y'know, we exchange bullets. Your call."
  • edited October 2013
    Kiddo, VB ignores you pretty much. She stays in the truck, still "tripping".

As the three of you walk on the road, Rinso says low, "We got your back, Stitch. They won't hurt you."

The three of you, because Svenja is staying up on top of Betty now, watching with her rifle ready, head to to the roadblock. Kiddo does introductions, and they move the bigass metal fence they have wedges between a couple cars.

Kiddo, you recognize a girl from Salt, Del Monte, she's in here with them, probably the oldest of the gang. Also Starburst, one of Reese's kids, a couple years younger than you, she's here. She gives you a nod, even though she's trying to look tough.

In the back of a station wagon is Payday, thin, pale and sweating. Spree keeps a close eye on you, but you're able to examine her, Stitch. She's suffering from appendicitis, needs to be removed. The threat of infection after the surgery is as bad as cutting her would be. But if you don't do something, it may burst, and that would kill her for sure.

What do you do?
  • I nod at Rinso, thankful for the reassurance.

"Fuck." I whisper. "She needs surgery. Her appendix is gonna burst. But cutting her open puts her at risk for infection. If I don't operate, though, she'll die for sure." I outline it to Spree, not sugarcoating it.

I look around. "I need a clean space to operate. I think I have the tools."
  • Spree gets her girls to work, they move Payday to the hood of the station wagon, on top of some clean blankets. Spree says, "Best I got."
  • I have to stop myself from biting my fingernails like six times while they clear space. I wasn't a surgeon in my former life, but it's a relatively simple procedure. I take a few calming breaths as I knock her out. I'd like to give her a general, but I'm not set up for an iv and heart monitor, so I settle for a strong local with a dash of muscle relaxer and blissing her out. Best I can do.

OOC: Heal roll incoming.
  • OOC: Heal Payday. Roll+stock spent (+1 stock from angel kit).
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 12)
  • Spree has to get the girls to back the frak off, because they're all trying to watch you work, Stitch.

It's quick work, you even keep the incision tight, and of course, stitch her up, heh, couldn't resist. And in maybe fifteen minutes, this girl is done, the only risk being infection. What do you do with the appendix? :P

Kiddo, what do you do to keep Kodak from making a fuss?
  • If they've got a bag, I tie the infected organ off there, otherwise I tell them to bury or burn it- it's full of germs. I pull out a bottle of antibiotics and toss them over to payday- "Make sure she takes these, they will prevent infection."
  • edited October 2013
    Stitch,

Yeah, they had a bag, a little sandwich bag, seal-able one. Spree nods, catching the pills before they land. Then she steps in to you, throws her arms around you and hugs you, just once, steps back with an arm around you, "Good work! You know, I grew up near a Doc. Called himself Doc, he was a real asshole. I appreciate it... Rinso called you Stitch, right? Stitch. Nice name!" She turns to her girls, "Move the gate!"

Kiddo,

What did Rinso slip into Omo's hand for payment? Why did it bother you that he actually gave it away?
  • What I told Kodak was simple. If he wants to pay these bitches their extortion fee, then I ain't gunna stop him. This is free, and it sets a better precedent. Besides, Stitch is crazy frakking good at her job... Did you see that shit?!?! She was like a ninja in there!

Rinso slipped a bunch of those frakking condoms into Omo's hand... He told me he didn't have anymore — which either means he lied to me back in Salt, or he got more from Svenja. It doesn't bother me if he's frakking her on the side... Not really... It just bothers me that he had them, and didn't want to use them.

I am not mother material, yeah? I have no frakking idea how my Ma' did it with me let alone Simon, Hump, and Vicky... And don't pretend like Simon and Vicky don't count! Losing a kid hurts no matter when you lose 'em! It hits you in places you can't understand. I'd rather just not frakking worry about it...

Someone's gotta carry the bloodline, and that can be Hump for all I care... At least he's dependable. Level headed. He'd make a decent frakking father one day. Not now obviously, but one day...

We're gunna have to talk about that... I'm real quiet walking back to the truck.
  • Kiddo,

Rinso walks up beside you, Kiddo, "Svenja pawned those off on me. I was gonna tell you, Kiddo, when we got to Armour. But did you see those babies?"
  • I'm not looking at him. It's the principle of the matter, yeah? "We could've used those, Rinny... You don't have to worry about getting knocked up and all that shit. I do! There's no check to see if you'd make a good Ma' when some guy knocks you up," I shake my head, "it just happens, and you could be an idiot like Omo, or someone like me..." I look up at him urgently, "I ain't suited to be a Ma' Rinso! I can barely keep my brother in line! I'd frak it up, and you know it! I don't wanna mess up kids, or bring 'em into this frakked up world!" I sigh loudly, and look back down at the ground. Kids...

I did see those babies though, while Stitch was working her magic... They were pretty cute... What the frak was Omo doing bringing her kids to a frakking shakedown, anyway? Stupid frakking bitch. There should be a test to reproduce or something... Frakking Omo...
  • edited October 2013
    Kiddo,

Rinso says, "Damnit, Kiddo. You would be a great mother, you're just scared of it. You're already Hump's ma, been one for years. Drek, you're half Vee's ma too." He motions to the back of the truck, "C'mon back and ride with me, let's talk, alright?"

Svenja slips back to Caroline. The trucks start up.

Stitch,

I assume you move past the little squabble, right? You make it back to see VB still sitting where you left her. She's eaten the whole half of her candy bar. She looks blissed out on chocolate, that perma-grin etched on her pretty face. She looks at you when you close the door.

What do you do?
  • "Uh, was I not supposed to give her chocolate?" I ask Kiddo.
  • I shake my head at Rinso's comments. I would not make a good Ma'. Are people not paying attention to what I do on a daily basis? Holy frak! I'd make a terrible Ma'!

I look over to Stitch, honestly a bit thankful that she's pulling attention from this, "You gave her the chocolate? ... Well, no. Not really. Her ex used to give her chocolate. He's a brain frakker, and she gets like this whenever she has chocolate. Watch her close, yeah? If she brings up a guy named Ziploc, you frakkin' tell her not to think about him!" Last thing we need is him trying to reconnect with her...

I look back to Rinso, "What's there to talk about? So I can look after a couple grown adults? Hump's on his own right now, and Vee can take care of herself!" I climb into the back of the truck after him, and take a spot next to him by some crates.
  • Kiddo,

As the truck rumbles to life and starts moving, Rinso holds onto one of the large metal "ribs". He leans in to say in your ear, "You are just like your own ma, Kiddo. Tough as nails and mean as hell. But you're like your dad, too. You make people better, you like seeing them happy. I can't even imagine a better ma in the world."
  • Dammit Rinny... I narrow my eyes and pull him down onto the bench next to me. I scootch up closer to him. "You're just trying to get into my pants, aren't you?" I poke his nose, and shake my head. "Frakking hell. I dunno Rinny... What do you want me to say? Look at what my Ma' and Dad leaving did to Hump and me... We're a wreck! Look at what I do! Look at what that idiot Omo does! Either one of us could end up dead, and leave those poor babies orphaned."

I don't really see a way out of this life I'm living right now... I don't know the first thing about caring for kids. "I mean don't get me wrong... Omo's babies were pretty cute... But you're damn right I'm scared of being a Ma — would you wanna frak up beautiful kids like that?"
  • edited October 2013
    Kiddo,

Rinso glances up to Svenja, probably to make sure she's got eyes on the road watching, then sits down beside you. You see the North Candies putting their roadblock back in place. He chuckles when you ask if he's trying to get on your good side, "Kiddo, now that I've tasted the forbidden fruit, I think I ALWAYS tryin' to get in your pants."

Then you talk about the mess your parents have made and he listens. You talk about stupid Omo and he nods.But he grins when you talk about how cute Abba and Zabba are. "Kiddo, there are two kinds of people in this frakked up world. Wolves. And sheep." He puts an arm around you, "And a pair of wolves have a much better chance at bringin' up wonderful people like you than a pair of sheep."

Oh and by the way, one of the Candies you saw earlier, she's riding in the scrub alongside the trucks, like she's an escort or somesuch. Which one is it?
  • Why's Starburst ridin' with us? ... Urgh. Whatever. If they don't frakking trust us, then so frakking be it, yeah? I'd have expected more from Starburst though... We did grow up together after all.

I put a hand on Rinso's chest, and sheepishly sway with the rocking of the truck as we get underway. "Sweetie," I look up at him, "I get what you're saying... I just... I dunno. I never pictured myself as a Ma', yeah? It's something I'd have to think about, and now just isn't the right time... I dunno if it'll ever be the right time..." I mean, even Ma' admitted I wasn't really on the menu when I showed up, and she spent years frakking confused about how to be a Ma'.

After a while I add, "you'd make a decent Dad though... If you weren't always out shooting shit."
  • Kiddo,

Rinso shrugs, "I never pictured you all swole up, either. Kinda ruins the mood." He kisses your temple, "It's never gonna be the right time. But we can earn for a bit, then set up. Boomtown has your place, it would be a good start. Listen, I'm not tryin' to plan out your life for you, Kiddo. I swear."

He looks out at Starburst for a bit. You glance up to see Svenja staring at you, she looks a little, well, spiteful. In other words, normal. She looks away. Rinso adds, "I wouldn't mind being a dad. It's one of the reasons I went back into that ship with Venger. We got some good jingle off Remy, Kiddo. And they're cutting us in on the stuff that moves what they couldn't buy straight up offa us. I want to provide for my kids. And I'd love for you to be their ma. More than anyone."
  • I smack him playfully When he comments on me being the size of a beach ball. That brings me back to when Ma' was having Hump. It makes me giggle a bit, actually. Ma' has a tiny frakking frame, so she'd waddle around like a penguin pretty much as soon as she started showing. It always made Dad laugh.

"You don't know what you're missing, sweetie," I give him a peck on the cheek, "Ma' used to joke about her 'pregnancy boobs' and not fitting into her bras. The thing is, you get a hungry, screaming, poop factory after the fact, who depends on you for years after the fact. That's the problem." I mean, I get grumpy if I miss a few days sleep... I can't imagine doing it for weeks on end if a baby came along.

That Rinso's planning for kids, right now, is kinda scary actually. I shift uncomfortably in my seat, and look out onto the road... "Yeah, well... Maybe." That's not so bad, yeah? Maybe I'll have kids? "One day... I'll think about it."
  • --END SCENE--