[NOVA] Reunion (K/M 1.0)

edited July 2014 in NOVA
Mei and Ksenia

Mei, you have been aboard the Stalker Jane for about an hour, apparently the first to arrive aside from her owners. You introduce yourself politely, and the Captain, Zoo Dai, scowls theatrically when you announce that you were a pilot, but now report to Psi Corps. Dinah Lourdes, in ship's coveralls with the ghost of grease stains from many washings past, looks up from her tablet with a chuckle and a grin. She waves hello and goes back to some game that seems to involve a lot of random annoying noises.

Just as you're about to try and lay some diplomacy on the Captain, the hail comes from the main hatchway. Zoo clicks the intercom and you hear, staticky but distinct, "Ksenia Cribbage reporting. Permission to come aboard?" Zoo pushes the button and you hear the distinct clunk of the hatch release.

Seconds later, Ksenia heaves into sight with her duffle over her back. You both stop, frozen in the moment, as you see each other for the first time in 6 months. As soon as you got back to fully Corps-controlled space, the three of you were separated and never saw each other again.

Ksenia, that's right, I said three. Of the four of you that set out for the abandoned organic hulk, three returned. Who didn't, and what happened? (Was it your fault?)

Mei, this is your first assignment since your Psi Corps training, you came right from the Needle. During meditation exercises, you kept flashing back to one particular moment that happened after you were picked up by an alien ship. What was it? How did it change you?

Both, how do you react to seeing the other?

Comments

• edited July 2014
    [Ksenia]

Ylldel Sol didn't come back. Her orders. Someone had to hold the line while we made it out, I was ordered to get Mei out safe. I did just that. I hope Ylldel was right about communing with those beings. I like to think she's still out there, somewhere.

During my furlough, I went to the Sol Corp, met another Ylldel. I don't know why I felt compelled to do it, but there you go. We sat down, had klava together, chatted about her. I told her about her, ah, her sister. She probably didn't even know her, but she played it off.

It helped me put it to bed. Not like I can go out for drinks, eat bad ice cream or have random sex to deal with shit. Like my psyche adviser says, I have to find my own coping mechanism. It pretty much sucks.

There she is. Ensign Taban Mei. I knew she was on the roster. I figured she'd be here first. I am not surprised she's here. I was prepared to see her after six months apart. We left on good terms, we promised to check in when we got time. I didn't check in. Needed to get out, do things, get some space.

My jaw clenches. I give her a look, but I'm doing this shit by the book. I come up to snap off a solid salute to the cap, "Captain Dai. Ksenia Cribbage, SecOps, reporting for duty." She isn't Space Corps, but she's the cap. "Where should I stow my gear, cap?"

Only then, and only then, do I glance over. At the girl who must be Engineer Lourdes, and dammit, yes, then Mei. Strong, but casual. She looks up to you. Set the example. Follow regs.
  • [Mei]

Dai and Lourdes seem like an odd pair, so different. And I know I could fly loops around Dai! How long has she been a pilot, anyway? Hmph. I wonder if the ship has a zerogee workout room? I'll show her who's got the right stuff. I don't think I could bench press her, but I could take her in arm wrestling. But none of that is professional. I don't know how long this assignment will be, and I must keep my cool. I'm a guest in their home, and we are all a crew together. Lourdes seems cool, I hope she'll talk to me. I brush a little stray lock of hair behind my ear and stay polite. I've also got to focus to keep my thoughts in my head. I'm still getting used to the boost. "It's nice to meet you both. Thank you for the quarters. Do we get a tour of the ship?" A little flattery never hurt to break the ice.

Cora. The "Core" from the alien ship. I felt it... her... part of her... die on the way back. I just wasn't strong enough to keep the psionic matrix together. I tried, I tried so hard. But it... I... it didn't happen. I was working on instinct, trying to save an artificial alien life barely squeezed in between my own mind. Adenay tried to rig up a few gizmos to help, but it was on me, I just didn't have the training! It was horrible, like trying to hold on to monodiamond dust.

I still hear her voice in my head sometimes, but I'm not sure if it's memory or a ghost or a half-remembered dream. And yes, I dream more now. I still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night, crying. It's not nightmares.

It's loss. Grief. I'm sorry, Cora.

What the- Ksenia? It is Cribbage! I salute her with only the barest hint of insubordination. Plus a wide grin I can't conceal. "Good to see you again, Cribbage." I missed her! Once we got back, they kept me separate, almost quarantined. Plus endless, necessary debriefing. Some of it was... invasive. They censored all my communications to the point of near monosyllables. "Hello, Ksenia. [REDACTED] From Taban." I didn't want to risk stirring things up by writing more. It would look bad. I didn't need bad. The Needle is a strange and lonely place, somehow worse than the orphanage.

I'm glad to have a friend aboard.
  • edited July 2014
    [Ksenia]

I give Mei a curt nod, "You, too," I make like I'm checking her rank, even though I saw her promotion on the pre-flight roster details, "Ensign."

My mouth dries up. This was really as far as I got in my head knowing I'd see her again. I've missed the hell out of this girl. Spent too many nights wondering what she was doing in the Needle, if they tweaked her brain or whatever it is that PsiOps does.

I frakking hate PsiOps.

"What's the game, Engineer?" I ask, trying to regain some composure here, instead of pulling little Mei into a hug. Not gonna happen.
  • Lourdes looks up, looks you up and down, Ksenia, then dismisses you. "It's a 4-d tower defense game. You probably couldn't handle it." She turns back to her game.

The Captain, on the other hand, brightens at your salute, but as she starts to return it she realizes you have no insignia, that you're a civilian, Ksenia. She sighs, loud, but you see the wheels turning. She's evaluating you, looking for the angles and advantages. "You two will be bunking together. We've got four berths, plus my cabin, which Church is apparently commandeering. My advice? Read your contract close and keep both hands on your wallet, when you're dealing with Melzer-Togawa." You get the sense, though, that the little speech is for effect.

• edited July 2014
    [Ksenia]

I shrug to Lourdes when she blows me off. We'll have plenty of downtime, and my spatial relations scores are pretty frakkin' good. I think I recognize that game, in fact. Time to read up on the manual. Going to show that girl what is up.

We're bunking together? Shit.

I give a curt nod, chuckle when Cap bitches about Melzer-Togawa. "Yeah, fine print's hell." I don't like that she seemed disappointed that I'm civvie. She's a civvie! C'mon, that was a legit salute, just...

Shit, we're bunking together.

"Which berth, cap?" I ask, since she already knows I want to stow my gear. I really want to stow my gear.
  • [Mei]

I look at Lourdes. She's so causal, but a little rude to Ksenia. Do they know each other? Or is that just Cribbage? I think she could handle quite a lot, she's been in the trenches. But maybe real soldiers don't play war games. "What's its name? I haven't played any video games for months." Not video games for fun.

When the Captain says we're bunking together, I brighten a little. Relaxed, I look to Ksenia, casually smiling. "Thank you for the advice, Captain. Have you been burned by the Company before?" I'm trying to make conversation, I suppose, and I almost regret asking for a long-winded story as soon as I do. I don't even have any popcorn.

I'll take a step towards Ksenia, ready to follow, my duffle easily shouldered. I'm stronger than I look. Evenly, I say, "I appreciate you putting us in the same berth, Captain. Ofi—" A quick glance to Ksenia, mouth half-open, uncertainty in my face. I meet her eyes. Close my mouth. Really, Mei. Resolved, I straighten my back, and speak to Dai, "Officer Cribbage and I worked together on a previous mission. It will be good to catch up."
  • [Ksenia]

Mei almost calls me officer, but hitches up. It's sweet of her, I'd expect no less. Thoughtful, respectful. Still pisses me off to be reminded twice in the space of a minute that I'm a good-for-nothing contractor. I might as well have "load lifter" by my name on the roster. Did Mei request me on this mission? Church wouldn't say, the cagey bastard.

Cap gives us the berth number, and I head that way. Mei falls right in line. I slow so she's walking beside me. I'd forgotten that way that she pushes up on the balls of her feet at the last moment of each step, like she's springing. Like a dancer.

"Cribbage is fine, Ensign Mei," I tell her once we're out of earshot. "I don't have an official capacity here, no rank. Just Cribbage will do." I swallow, jaw tight.

"Or K. You know, if you're in a hurry."
  • edited July 2014
    [Mei]

Ksenia heads for the berth. Our berth. This will be like training days at the Academy again, having a roommate and study buddy. I smile a secret smile, reminiscing for two steps. I'm used to the ship gravity by now, moving easily besides Ksenia. I forgot how fast she walks! She's tall and always moves like she's got places to be. It's not like we're running out of atmo on an alien ship about to crash into a planet or anything. I wonder if she's spacelagged, just tired from travel.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you, Cribbage. Just trying to stay professional in front of the new crew. I'm glad you're here- it's really good to see a friendly face." I look at her while we walk, her face in profile. I look a little concerned that I offended her.

Softly, I say, haltingly at first. "Ksenia, you can still call me Taban when we're off-duty." That's a big deal to me, does she know about family names and familiar names? It's a big sign of respect and familiarity. Spanish even has a word for it, sort of: tutear, you may address me with familiarity. I haven't had any one close in months. Acquaintances, colleagues, adversaries. "I'd like that."
  • [Ksenia]

Mei starts apologizing to me when we're out of earshot. I don't look over at her, don't want to seem weak or, well, embarrassed. I respond with a curt little, "Don't worry about it. It is what it is." I feel her eyes on me, those wide, curious eyes that caught every detail on that damn alien ship, figured out how to jury rig our suits and a containment process, saved our ass at least three times on that mission. All from a kid who I wouldn't have thought twice about when the mission started.

Now, I think about her too much. And we're bunkmates. She thinks my face is friendly. That's a first. I need to file that away for later.

Our berth is nestled behind the port engines, which obscure a bit of the view, but not too bad. I drop my duffel on the bottom rack, since I'm heavier. Mei's talking to me like I'm mad at her. I probably look mad, but I'm not. On edge, yes. Mad, no. Just worried about how this is going to work.

I stand up straight, look her in the eyes, still keeping my face neutral. Friendly to her, I guess. "Taban it is then." My eyes look down for a second, and there's this awkward moment. Should I shake her hand? Is she going to hug me? I'm not sure if we're hugging friends. The only time I held her is when she couldn't walk on her own power.
  • [Mei]

I nod once, decisively, accepting her declaration. I still think of her as a superior officer, and I probably won't tell her that. She's unquestionable more experienced, and she saved me a time or two back on that alien ship. I would've died if she didn't haul my ass when my suit ripped. You just don't forget an act like that. "You sure you don't want to be on top?" I point a thumb at the top berth. "You can probably reach it without jumping." I smile a little at her. She seems distant. I bite my lip. I didn't think we left on bad terms. Maybe she's just on the clock, being the professional.

I quirk my mouth, and say, "I hope you snore. I do," with a slight deference and a hint of playful apology.

But Ksenia's keeping things all business, it seems. "What have you been doing all these months?" I'm polite, curious. I don't want to pry if she's not feeling open.

• edited July 2014
    All,

Before Cribbage has a chance to reply, you hear the hail signal again, and through the open door of your quarters, the response to the Captain's challenge. "Church and Gaumata, Melzer-Togawa, along with two porters." One of the two women mutters something, just too low for you to make out, then thirty seconds later you hear the tone announcing the elevator's arrival.

What do you do?
  • [Ksenia]

I ignore her crack about her jumping up to the top bunk. It wasn't really a consideration. I get a mental image of her climbing up past me at night, push it away. Why do I think of those things? Regardless, I'm in the bottom bunk. That's how it is.

"I don't snore, but I've bunked with plenty who do, don't worry about it." I sound angry when I say it. Why am I angry? I'm not angry, I'm elated. She's happy, healthy, made rank, much better than I anticipated. I worried Cora messed with her head somehow. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Can she read my mind right now? God, I hope not.

Then the elevator announcement happens, so I head over to the doorway to look down the hall. Curious about the Science Officer.

"What have I been up to?" I repeat her question, mostly to buy time. "M-T contract work, mostly NDA stuff." I answer quickly. It's mostly true. Well, partly true. I did some guard work for a week. I did an ODST drop with a unit of troopers on the ass end of nowhere and put down a union revolt. That was another week.

Rest of the time? I read. I tried to learn how to paint. I tried to find some drug that would bypass my internal systems. Still looking.

Then, my mouth's working, and I didn't mean for it to, "I went to see one of the Yllldels." Well shit, that's out there. "She's nice," I add, like it matters. "You'd like her."
  • There's still conversation in the cockpit when the door from the vestibule opens and two burly men with gravpallets emerge. They move to the first set of crew quarters, next to yours, and begin unloading crates with the Melzer-Togawa logo. The crates are all high-impact plastic or metal, each with a full biometric recognition suite in addition to a keypad. Once unloaded, one of the men opens a last thin box and begins to install a similar lock on the door of the chamber. When finished, he taps a button on his wrist comm and stands back, waiting.

Ksenia, that is some serious security. The cost of each one of those locks (you counted nineteen crates plus the lock on the door) would feed a family on Mars for two years, three if they were frugal. Not that it's more than pocket change to Melzer-Togawa. Is this sort of security standard operating procedure on a corporate mission?

While the "porters" wait, two new people walk through the vestibule doors, followed by Dinah Lourdes. Ezekiel Church is dressed simply, comfortably, but you can imagine the elegance and texture of the fabrics. Loose black pants, appropriate for shipboard, a collarless shirt with a sort of gray-on-gray shimmer, and a light jacket that's either the deepest purple or black. He sees you looking through the door, Ksenia, and gives you a light nod of acknowledgement. You noticed that he's been promoted to Director, if the ruby in the Melzer-Togawa ring on his right hand is any indication.

The second person through the door is of a different cut altogether. Slender, with asymmetric hair and a suit that would be more appropriate for a cocktail party on one of the youth-oriented luxury orbitals. Ze seems to glide disconcertingly, as though zir hips aren't entirely built the way most are.

Each provides a palm, retina, and voice sample for the lock and punches in a code. Properly recognized, Church turns to the men behind him. "Thank you, gentlemen. If you would, please move our personal belongings to our quarters before leaving."

Turning to you, he says with sincerity but no particular warmth, "Ksenia Cribbage, it is good you were available for this contract. Is Ensign Mei with you?"
  • edited July 2014
    [Mei]

I nod and stand up. I'm a little let down she doesn't want to talk more. I look aside, thoughtful, and wonder if her time away was like my time in the Needle. Maybe she's scared of me. I feel that way sometimes. "Okay, Cribbage." I swallow. I look out the view port. I know it's not glass, but it's nice to pretend. The stars are nice, and you can just see faint colors if you look close. I wonder if this ship has a real observation bubble. I find myself fidgeting with the titanium studs in my right ear. I put my hands down and now I'm fidgeting with a zipper pull on my jacket. I stop.

I look up when she mentions the Ylldels, concern on my face. I'm not sure who I'm concerned for exactly. I lean to Ksenia, reach out a hand to her, and I start, "How did—" Then I hear someone calling me with a certain authoritative cadence.

I tuck a loose hair behind my ear and stand a little straighter, feet slightly apart, hands clasped behind my back. The picture of Space Corps readiness. Only a couple glances to Ksenia and a quick one at my shoes (not too scuffed from travel) really betray my unease.
  • edited July 2014
    Church steps up to the door to your quarters. As he holds out his hand to Ksenia for a shake, he looks past, into the room. "Ensign Mei, I have heard so much about you from... I have heard so much about you." The slip was intentional. You're sure of it, and his eyes confirm when he meets yours. He's testing you. Somehow, he's testing you.

"Allow me to introduce both of you to Dr. Su Gaumata, Lead Researcher for the Special Projects Directorate of Melzer-Togawa's Planetary Exploitation Division."

"Charmed." Gaumata is not charmed.

Mei, you get a flash from Cora, the clearest yet, when Gaumata appears in the doorway. What does that look like?
  • [Ksenia]

Of course I agreed that Ensign Mei was with me. Well, after I blink for a moment about the possible meaning of "with". "She's right here." I answered. I guess it came out annoyed. Probably.

Church is playing head games with Mei? Not the smartest move, Zeke. I'll let you figure that one out for yourself.

"Nice to meet you, Doctor." I offer. Neutral tone.
  • edited July 2014
    [Mei]

"Mister Church." I smile lightly. "I'm looking forward to this assignment." I think about rising to the bait and asking who up the food chain is so interested in telling a Director of Melzer-Togawa about a simple Ensign. But I'm not going to scan him. Maybe he thinks I would. I'm young but not dumb. I'm still at parade rest, I'm being judged. Ksenia is here, her presence gives me some much-needed backbone. Does she realize?

Ze looks very chic. "Dr. Gaumata." I hit the pronunciation as best I can.

Cora... she's like a outline of cold golden particles with a taste of copper and whiff of something acrid. She has a weighty sense of age about her, an almost mythic grandmother. But spry and canny when she chooses. And undeniably alien and artificial. I can't say it with words, but I could show you.
  • Cora is there very briefly, but the acrid scent is stronger than usual. She's looking at Gaumata, and you know if she had eyes, they would be sad. You hear just the faintest whisper of an alien lullaby, reassuring and disturbing at the same time. all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well

Formalities over, Church and Gaumata politely take their leave just as you hear the hailer once more. Ksenia, you assume this will be Sgt. Sung and PFC Weismuller, but what you hear over the intercom is, "Space Corps Marines, Sung and Sanchez, requesting permission to board."
  • [Mei]

I watch Church go. I feel like I didn't pass an oral exam. Cora's song make me feel cold, and a rash of goosebumps roll up my arms and neck as I watch Gaumata go. I take a step closer to Ksenia without realizing. I hope she doesn't push me away again. I'm holding my left elbow in my right hand and I look up to her, watching her reaction. "That could've gone better."
  • [Ksenia]

"Don't worry about it. Just a pissing match. You were fine." I tell her as I watch them walk away. "Co-op missions always have a bit of it at the start."

Hearing the name Sanchez on the comms is a bit of a surprise, but not a shocker. Reassignments happen. There are thousands of Sanchezes in the world, so I don't hope that it's Boots. I do think of him briefly. He'd be leading the op, though. By now.
  • [Mei]

"Ksenia?" I'll wait to see if she looks at me. Either way, I'll ask, trying to be casual, "Are you okay?" Is she upset? She doesn't seem to be glad to see me at all.
  • edited July 2014
    [Ksenia]

I look over at Mei. She seems lost right now. I feel guilty, like I hurt her or something. My expression softens for a moment, even though I'm completely aware that marines are about to come on board. I open my mouth to reply, but it hangs there for a moment, nothing comes out. So I snap it shut.

I exhale a little, a short, sharp breath. "I'm fine, Mei. You're rank here, understand? They're testing you. Be the badass I know you are, and don't let them frak with you."

Then, my mouth betrays me and I keep talking, "Let's talk later, alright? " I turn, whether she answers or not, stand at attention for the marines. I'm not Corps to them, but I'm Corps to me.
  • [Mei]

Ksenia thinks I'm a badass. I definitely flush with pride on that one. But she didn't call me Taban, and I notice.

But she's right, I'm an officer now. I'm not a cadet. I shake my head, eyes closed briefly. "Thank you, Cribbage. Just a little unusual me being over you." I catch myself. "Ranking over you. This is my first command post."

I tighten my stance, but I'm not at attention. "I would like to talk later, when we're not expecting company." A small smile. Then I sideways lean & whisper, "Shouldn't I go out to meet them?"

I'm the officer. They're going to salute me!
  • Ksenia, through the vestibule doors come two Marines, laden with duffels and pulling weapons crates behind on by-God wheels, the way they were meant to be pulled. In the lead is a heavyset man with a Sergeant's insignia and the name "Sung" on his pocket. Following is your old friend Boots Sanchez, wearing... PFC stripes? Really?

Sung dismisses your posture, then does a Marine's version of a double-take as he recognizes the configuration of your cyber replacements. "Cribbage? I've heard of you." He continues past to the next berth and ducks in. Sanchez follows, giving you an embarrassed look. Whether it's due to your "condition" or his rank, you don't know.

Mei, they both salute you as they pass, despite the weight and awkwardness of their loads. How do you respond?
  • [Ksenia]

I don't salute. I'm at attention, but I don't salute. That would insult them. I'm paying respect. I'm glad Sung doesn't dress me down for "playing soldier". Truth be told, I am. He has every right to give me shit, but he doesn't. Odd that he recognizes me.

PFC?

Frakking P F C?!? Sanchez. I hope the frak he was busted down for something worth it. He better not have messed around for the last few years. He BETTER not have. I look to Mei. Salute, girl.
  • [Mei]

I return the salute, by the book, by instinct. It hasn't quite sunk in yet, but it feels good. I didn't expect my chevron to have a Psi Corp stripes, but I've got brass. I make sure to keep a fool look off my face for the men. Sanchez is kind of cute.

That's a lot of gear. What does Melzer-Togawa expect? Anything, I suppose. Remember what happened last time?
  • edited July 2014
    That's it. The full complement. Everyone's in quarters for now, settling in. Mei, Ksenia, do either of you have a particular memento or personal item that you always put somewhere in your quarters?

The Captain pages over the intercom, "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard the Stalker Jane. There is a backup in the clearance queue due to some freighter driver's inability to match velocity with the ring, so it will likely be a few hours before we start our little voyage of... whatever it's a voyage of. Please take your time to settle in, and meet in the common area for a quick orientation in 45 minutes. Thank you."
  • [Ksenia]

Doing as many FTL jumps and transitioning through several ships, I've learned to travel light. There are a few things I carry when I'm not going into combat.

* Yasukawa's dog tag. He was one of the four guys in my unit who died during that firefight where I lost my arm and leg. He didn't have any family, and I was on his will to get them. With a small stipend, which was nice. I used it to set up a little memorial for him last month. I carry his tag with me as a reminder of how you can lose friends at a moment's notice. He was a sour ass, really. But we had each other's back, we were mates. I miss him.

* A fingernail in plastic. It's a small, solid piece of plastic with the fingernail suspended in it. Lieutenant Brekus found it on the battlefield, told me it was mine. I don't know if I believe him, it's not like it had my frakking nail polish on it (hint - I don't use it). But man, that's a gross thing to lie about, so I accept it like a relic. It was a gift he handed me when I was told I was discharged from the Corps.

* My trusty datapad. It's the most expensive thing I own. Rated for zero-g, hard-coated, tough as all hell. I've thumbed through thousands of stories on it. I hope to read through thousands more. Trashy romance novels, sci-fi epics, biographies, gumshoe mysteries, I don't care. It's all good. I don't want to join some damn book club, write fanfic, see the movie version. I read it or I listen to it if I can't read it, like late nights when my arm aches or my legs burn and it won't go away and it's lights out. Anyways, it's my best friend.

* A little brown rock that looks like it has glitter on it. I picked it up off New Io. It was my third mission, a couple years before the accident. The science officer told me the rock was a casing for an actual seed. Supposed to grow some bigass tree. The pics of it I found are breath-taking. One of these days, when I retire, when I want roots of my own, I'm going to crack that damn thing open and see if it will grow. I'm a little worried it's dead already, though.
  • edited July 2014
    [Mei]

Growing up in the arcology and then straight to the Academy and then into Psi Corps, all of my personal effects can fit into a standard foot locker. It's in storage at ODS Janus next to thousands of others. I have a few things for this trip, though.

I brought a new paper sketchpad, a little bigger than a standard datapad, along with some pencils. I'm getting better. I've got a few sketches from the Janus while I was waiting. I look forward to drawing Ksenia. I want to do one for everyone on board, even Gaumata.

I brought my replica of an old star chart. The original must be a thousand years old, full of impossible to read Italian and golden swirls of color. I like to look at the creatures and people you can see in the stars. I have it pinned above my bunk. On a new assignment, sometimes I make up my own if the muse strikes me.

I've got a small wooden jewelry box- my titanium earrings, the Psi Corps brooch, a carved wooden hair clip with an small elephant on it, a few other pieces. Nothing outrageous, you know me. I don't care for rings- they usually fall off my fingers.

I have a small souvenir from the Dauntless mission, a dark palm-sized chunk of alien plastic with strange swirls on it. I know they change, but I can never catch the motion.

I also have a small glass eco terrarium, a gift from Connor, a good friend from Space Academy. It's a sealed diamond glass sphere about 15 or 20 centimeters in diameter, half full of water. There's some water plants with their stringy roots and water beetles, and tiny shrimps, GMO'd microorganisms and such. All it needs is light and it's rated to last a decade. This one has a small loop so you can hang it. It spins very slowly in the microcurrents of the air. I love it completely and it humbles me utterly and makes me a little sad. I could watch it for hours.

It looked like this when I got it. There's more green in it now.
  • edited July 2014
    [Ksenia]

Once my gear is stowed away, I'll head over to check on Boots.

If he's got a minute to rap with me, I'll pull him into the corridor. "Tell me you were busted down for some bullshit. Right?"
  • Ksenia, Sgt. Sung looks up as you poke your head in. He doesn't scowl at you, nor does he smile. He has nothing like a poker face - you see respect for your service and contempt for whatever weakness led to your discharge fighting for dominance. He says, "I was just going to look over the gym, see what it'll take to keep trim on this bucket." He leaves with a glance at Sanchez.

The two ordnance crates take up a lot of room, but they're a convenient height to sit on, at least. Boots is arranging a few things on his shelf. A statue of the Virgin Mary, one of St. Michael the Archangel, a Unified Universal Catholic Church prayer book, a rosary. Was he religious when you knew him before?

At your question, he blushes under his olive complexion. "'Hey Sanchez, good to see you! What a nice surprise!' 'Yeah, you too, Cribbage. You're looking... different.'"

He looks up, still fiddling with the rosary. "Yeah, I got busted down. Was being considered for Staff Sergeant when I met a girl in a bar while I was on liberty. She was pretty. She was a good dancer. She was willing. Turns out, she was also the CO's daughter, visiting from the University. Almost worth it, though. Almost worth it."
  • edited July 2014
    [Mei]

Cribbage leaves. Once I'm closer to settled, I'll give my bunk a critical eye as a visitor would see it. Hmm, I'll readjust the terrarium so I see it over the porthole as I walk in. That will look interesting.

Alone, I'll take my tablet to wait in the common area, stopping first in the galley for a light snack or meal, depending on ship time. I'll also peek in the gym. I hope it can do zerogee.
  • Mei, you stop in the galley. Interesting. Apparently Dai or Lourdes isn't fond of eating the typical spacer food all the time. There's a rack of spices that goes beyond the usual salt, pepper and granulated Sriracha. There's even some honest-to-goodness fruit and vegetables. Of course they're the GMO hydroponic extended-shelf-life sort, not likely to be the tastiest, but you've never known the luxury of food grown in actual soil. There is a selection of the usual snacks and pull-tab-to-heat meals. It's about 1600 hours, ship's time, not really time for a meal, but close. What do you choose?

Sergeant Sung is in the gym when you arrive. You see the panel on the wall to zero out the gravity, but it would probably take nearly an hour to stow and secure everything in here and get it out of the way for a full zero-gee workout. The equipment's not bad, though, a few universal tension machines, some dial-a-weight grav dumbbells. Sung looks up when you enter, stands to attention and salutes. Is he going to do that every time you cross paths on this small ship? Do you want him to?
  • [Ksenia]

My scowl softens when Sanchez cops to making it with a CO's daughter. "You always did think with the little head, Boots." I clap him on the shoulder with my left hand. "Good to see you, man. At least you aren't fat." I chuckle, because he isn't. "Losing your hair though. I guess you can work the widow's peak for a decade or so."
  • edited July 2014
    Ksenia,

"Little? K, you never saw it. It's bigger than this widow's peaked beauty!" He slaps his temple for emphasis.

Suddenly serious. "K? I heard, I mean, I knew what happened, but... how are you dealing? The Corps was... well, it was you." He looks down at the rosary, thumbing it now purposefully.
  • edited July 2014
    [Ksenia]

Co-ed showers in Basic. I totally saw. It's not bad, but he shouldn't quit his day job. I'm not going to stand here and make dick jokes with him, though. Well, not today, at least.

He asks how I'm dealing and I kind of go cold. Not sad, not weepy, not angry. Or maybe a little testy, but not hostile. "They gave me the full treatment, then washed me out. How do you think I'm dealing?" I shrug.
  • [Mei]

I make notes of the spices. Something tells me that Dai is the cook- Lourdes seems somehow too devil-may-care to bother preparing food beyond pulling the tab. Now I have another reason to try for Dai's good side. It's not yet time for the group meal, so I grab a little fruit. A banana, a tomato, and a small handful of various berries. Just a taste to keep up the energy and blood sugar. Vitamins, carbs, and other important micronutrient goodness for the body. I don't mean to be selfish, but raspberries.

I return the salute with a relaxed but proper stance. "At ease, Sung. There's no need to salute so much that we can't get our jobs done." I pick up one of the dumbbells, casually turning the dial up to test it. A workout buddy once called me the "high efficiency" model: Compact yet powerful. I'm stronger than I look; I'm not showing off, just demonstrating. I'm not a desk pilot, Sung! I reset the dial and put it back. "I wanted to take a look at the gym. I prefer to work out before breakfast, what about you?" I look open and friendly. I hope I'll get a new workout buddy. It's nicer to talk with someone instead of only listening to music.

• edited July 2014
    Ksenia, Sanchez looks a little hurt, but covers quickly. "Shitty. Of course, shitty. But, K, we're... we've got history, right? What the fuck? Talk to me. May be a shitty PFC, but. But, I got ears? And a fucking heart. You gave it for the Corps. They took a dump on your sacrifice. And you're just, what? Cold? Irritated? K, I saw you tear apart an entire bar full of Space Cadets for calling us grunts. You giving up?"

He drops the rosary on top of the prayer book and sits on one of the ordnance crates. "What the fuck is this mission, anyway?"
  • [Ksenia]

I put my hands, palms up out from my sides, "Giving up? No. Moving on. I don't know why the brass gave me a medical discharge, Boots. I didn't give up on them. They gave up on me." I cross my arms, which is a tell and I know it, but frak, he's poking an open wound. "Hell, I haven't gone anywhere, if you look close. Still here, still kicking ass and taking names, like you and me always did. Except now, I make six figures." I shrug again. Even I don't believe that line of bullshit.

I change the subject, "Don't know yet, man. Auditory hallucinations. Putting an Ensign in as ranking officer. Something's up. Mei's tough, don't get me wrong, but something is rotten in the state of frakking Denmark." I put up a hand, "I'll dig into it. Bunking with Mei, I'm sure she'll share. I'm not about to run blindly into some damn fubarred intel op."

I work my jaw a bit, thinking. Drop my voice, changing subjects again. "What you think about the mechanic, hunh?" I offer him a grin.
  • Mei, Sung reacts a little strangely, like you might be hitting on him, but, "Ma'am, it'd be a pleasure to have someone to spot me. I'm a Marine, not a Spacer, though. Time on a bucket's just time between doing my job. Gotta keep ready for the real mission. You think you can handle training with a Marine? Wouldn't you rather have Cribbage..." He trails off, clearly uncertain.

You remember him now, from the footage back when you were just entering the Academy. He was the only survivor of a disastrous mission to put down a rebellion on the moon Jamie's Triumph. It came out that his last, heroic and doomed action was to set the charge that ended both the rebellion and his comrade and lover, Park DeLong (Marine Corps Corporal). He's clearly familiar with notoriety out of tragedy, as Ksenia must be.
  • edited July 2014
    [Mei]

What? No, I'm not hitting on him. Just scheduling. "I don't think she needs to work out." I quick my mouth for a moment, thinking about how I could compete with her enhancements. It would be a good competition. I wonder of what he's uncertain? I think we're friends, or at least friendly, but Ksenia has been very closed to me so far. "You think you can handle training with me, Sung? I don't know what sort of Spacers you're used to dealing with, but I'm no slouch. I work for a living." There's a cheery grin there.

And he'll see that I recognize him, that flash of you-look-familiar to realization, but I wouldn't want to pry. I'll treat him just as a Marine.
  • Ksenia,

Sanchez looks thoughtful, almost downcast. "Intel op? I'm never gonna get my stripes back." He looks at you, that way he has, "Listen, K, you remember me talking about my little sister Marisol? The one who was born with the shriveled arm? She got a replacement last year, just in time for her Quinceañera. That was her gift from my folks. She was so excited beforehand, but after? She swore the cyber arm was trying to strangle her in her sleep. She was certain. You have any of that?"

Boots just looks at you. Waiting. That way he has.
  • Mei, Sung grins back. "Ma'am, if you'll pardon my language, I will train the shit out of you. You may be exceptional for a Spacer or a Psi, but you've never seen a bored Marine training on a long bucket-ride. Before breakfast, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch. Whatever your pleasure." He pauses at that. "...training-wise."
  • edited July 2014
    [Ksenia]

I wonder if Boots would like working for M-T? I could put in a good word for him. Maybe once this is said and done, I'll have a chat with him. File it away for later.

At first, I'm happy for Marisol, hearing about her fifteenth birthday and getting a new arm. That's expensive, her parents went all out. Then Sanchez talks about ghost signals, and I'm shaking my head right off, "The beta models a decade ago had some ghost signal issues during REM sleep, but that's been a non-issue for three gens. Problem is, there's a whole meme around it, and people get it in their heads." I put a hand on his shoulder, "Boots, man, we're probably still in comm range, at least for one-ways. I know some really good head docs, they helped me work through some shit. Why don't you send these names to your parents, have them set up an appointment. She'll be fine. She just needs to believe it."
  • [Mei]

"Language pardoned, Sergeant!" I'll put up my hand for a in-air strongarm grasp the way grunts do. Rise, meet, or fail, I am looking forward to his challenge! I am going to ignore the misplaced innuendo; he's off the market. There's cuter options on board for stray thoughts. With a nod and a relaxed stance, this isn't an order, "Let's get through the orientation before we fill our entire dance card. M-T has a hell of a lot of gear on board, and I suspect we'll need to learn how to use it." I'm not going to pry or ask a leading question. I'll let him tell me.
  • Ksenia, Sanchez seems grateful for the information. "K, thanks. Umm. We're gonna have lots of time to catch up. Mind if I make that call while we're still docked? Cheaper that way." Boots has always been the "have an idea, act on it immediately" sort.
  • [Ksenia]

"Go for it. That's why I told you now, man." I let him go on. I need to check in with Lourdes. Girl thinks I can't play a 4-D Tower Game? Hell yes I can!
  • Mei, Sung looks at your upraised hand for just a split second too long before returning the gesture, but his grasp is uncompromising when he does. "Permission to speak freely, ma'am?"

You cock your head slightly, still unused to the command role you assumed twelve minutes ago. One of your instructors was fond of saying, "Regardless of traditions and necessities of command, it is essential to cultivate the free flow of information within the unit, as far as possible."

At your nod, he continues with the ghost of a grin. "You're alright for a bucket-driver head case, ma'am. Looking forward to serving with you."
  • Ksenia, Dinah Lourdes is in Engineering, running some pre-flight checks. When you knock on the entryway, "Cribbage, right? Get the hell out of here. I'm working."
  • [Ksenia]

"Yeah, it's Cribbage." I answer. "Want any help?" I offer, and I'd help. Not much else to do with Mei out and about.
  • Ksenia, Lourdes swings around, ready to tear you a new one, but stops. "Actually, with Zoo entertaining the mucky-mucks, I could use a hand, and it looks like you've got one." Once she's gotten that out, she settles in to what's obviously usually a two-person routine, describing what she needs in concise, accurate sentences. She remains prickly, but keeps it professional. By the time you finish, it's nearly time for the orientation.
  • edited July 2014
    [Ksenia]

I hop in, thankful for something to keep my hands busy. She's a sharp worker, efficient. They run a tight ship, which is good. Might save our asses. I make mental notes on what she's doing, just in case. With a seventeen click range, they may end up in the line of fire.
  • edited July 2014
    [Mei]

Lieutenant Tylar had a lot of good advice. I suspect I'll need to use it all in this mission. Although this isn't my first rodeo, it's my first time in the wheelhouse. No, that's not right. I've been in the saddle before, but never the... No matter. The renowned Sung is dealing respect, and I focus to remember this, and match it.

I grin appreciatively, with honest pride. "And you're all right for a dirt-loving jarhead. I'm honored to lead you."

Something else Tylar said in the officers' class springs to mind. "Never forget that even though they work for you, you work for them."

• Ksenia and Mei, the common room has plenty of space for eight people to sit comfortably at tables and separate chairs. There's some entertainment gear in here, a decent-sized screen that can be slaved to a tablet, even a ping-pong table that looks like it also serves as a dining table. Once everyone is present (Dr. Gaumata is last to arrive, right on the dot of 45 minutes following the announcement), Zoo Dai stands to address you, Dinah Lourdes to her right and a step behind.

Zoo is striking even without her cyber headgear, which is stylish on its own. Beginning at the ears, it sweeps up winglike along the side of her head, then forward along her close-trimmed scalp to make a matte-silver widow's peak just below the hairline. On the right side, a thin extension runs from the ear along her jaw. When she speaks, it is clearly rote, but her intonation is affected, as if the words were a memorized speech from a stage play.

"This will be brief. Welcome aboard the Stalker Jane. I hope you have found your accommodations acceptable, as they are the only ones we have. Please do not enter operational areas of the ship without permission from Ms. Lourdes or myself. These include the cockpit, the computer room, the gun turret, and engineering, the portals of which are outlined in orange in case you forget. We will run an escape pod drill once we are underway." At this point, you notice that Lourdes' mouth is moving just slightly, her lips forming the words at the same time the Captain says them.

The speech runs another few minutes, all the standard operating procedures, nothing unusual or surprising. Finally, she looks around at all of you. "We run as a skeleton crew of two, with passengers free to spend their time enjoying our luxurious amenities. If we require your help, we will ask for it, and if we tell you that you're in the way, it's not to be obnoxious or grumpy, it's because you're in the way. Dinah and I know that many of you are highly qualified, but this is our boat, regardless of who is paying for the contract. Questions?"
  • [Ksenia]

I don't have any questions. Standard Operating Procedures, really. No concerns. I know Church won't object, either. He hired the boat knowing it going in.
  • [Mei]

I have plenty of questions, but I don't want to piss off Dai even more. Still, I offer, "Captain Dai, Ms. Lourdes, please do let me know if I can be of any assistance. She's a good boat." I'm not eager, really I'm not. I just haven't flown in far too long. Psi Corps is not exactly known for its high-pressure atmo deploys.
  • The pair from Melzer-Togawa keep silent. Nothing to be bothered with, all within scope. The Marines almost seem to relax. This is all basic common sense operational stuff, but now that it's been said, it's Regs, and they can follow Regs.

Mei, Dai gives you a thin smile. 'Thank you, Ensign Mei. I'll be sure to call on you if circumstances require.' It's pretty clear that circumstances will be extreme indeed before she willingly hands the helm to anyone other than Lourdes.

Ksenia, as the meeting breaks up, folks wandering off to their quarters or wherever else they might be going, Lourdes sidles over. "Saw you eyeing my game earlier. We've got a few hours, if you want to head to head." It winds up being epic, each of you challenging the other to some uniquely twisted abstract temporal-spatial improvisation. In the end, you win two out of three and Lourdes stomps off in a huff. She's over it the next time you see her, though, punches you in the flesh arm and calls you "Champ."
  • --END SCENE--