[BtI] Date 1, Turn 7 (Active Player=Rich)

edited October 2014 in AnR
This turn starts with four attraction dice and two compatibilities (likes children, playfulness).

Comments

• zach
    We're in my big blue truck, some classic rock playing quietly as I drive. I'm driving slow, in no rush to get you home, but trying not to push my luck. Things have been weird since the ferris wheel, but I'm not giving up yet, Summer.

We stop at a red light right beside the bright lights of a CVS and I look over. "Do you have any early appointments tomorrow? It's a school day, so no kids, I bet, right?"

"No little kids," I agree, turning from the window with a smile. "But the high schoolers don't mind missing their first class. They're a lot less fun, believe me." A little embarrassed, I add, "You're going to think I'm terrible, but I didn't really look at tomorrow's appointments very closely. I was a little distracted at the end of the day." I was too busy thinking about our upcoming date to worry about tomorrow's appointments. I'd glanced over them, but, for the life of me, I can't remember anything about them now!

"What about you? Skywriting isn't something you do early in the morning, is it?"

Kids compatibility! Roll your dice!
  • Kids!
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 5, 4. Total: 9)
  • zach
    "You'd be surprised how much work there is to keeping a plane in good condition" I start off. Then I look over at you, chuckle, and add, "But yeah, I think I'll sleep in."
  • edited October 2014

I could imagine. Occasionally, they have a spot on the news or 60 minutes or something I leave playing in the background and generally ignore. (Until they say crash. Then, for some reason, it has my attention.)

The chuckle's pretty adorable, and, this time, my smile has more feeling behind it. Or, it might have something to do with how nice it is to sleep in once in a while. I'm a bit jealous! "Well, maybe you can show it off to me sometime."

All work and no play makes Zach a dull boy. Roll your attraction dice!
  • Attraction dice:
    (Rolled: 4d6. Rolls: 4, 1, 5, 1. Total: 11)
  • zach
    The red light turns green, and I slowly pull forward, out of the light. You're in darkness again, but I catch glimpses as the headlights of cars come past. "I have a couple evening jobs this week. If you're interested, I'd love to take you up with me. It's loud, and a little cozy, but with the headphones on, we can still talk." We can't kiss, though. I guess that's a plus, given our recent history.

"Are you allowed to do that?" The offer catches me completely off-guard. I don't know why, but for some reason I had assumed... Well, nevermind. It's a sweet gesture. And even though it's pretty dark, I nod slightly. "It sounds like fun." I've never been skywriting before -- because, really, who has? But I do like to fly!
  • zach
    I chuckle, "Yeah. I've got a pilot's license, and the guy who owns the airfield is a buddy of mine. Big hockey fan." Cool, so it sounds like we've got a second date. That's great!

I'm grinning now, excited that we've pulled out of the sharp dive that I thought was the death of getting to know you. "What about next Tuesday?" Shit, is that too soon?

Tuesday, Tuesday. Off the top of my head, there's nothing I have planned then. "Tuesday should be fine, I think." Awkwardness and dramatic tragedies aside, we did have fun, after all. I just need to figure out how to handle the kissing situation. "Don't worry," I add cheerfully. "I won't return the favor and make you come to work with me."
  • zach
    "I don't know," I say with a grin, "I've got some bridge work that needs a look..." I chuckle, letting you off the hook.

We're less than half a mile from your house. I'm thinking about how to end this night with you, Summer. I know I'm walking you to the door. Do I just hug? Should I try for another kiss? This is making me a little nervous.

"Well, I guess I did promise you a sticker. And a toothbrush," I smirk. I sort of feel like I should do something to make up for the amusement park and reassure you I had a good time...other than agreeing to a second date, anyway. Maybe when you drop me off...

Roll your playful dice!
  • Playful:
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 3, 4. Total: 7)
  • zach
    "Stickers and toothbrushes for the win!" I say as I slow down to turn onto a side street. "Although, I've always wondered why it's a toothbrush. I mean, it's used on more than one tooth. Shouldn't it be a teethbrush?"

That's when the truck does a shuddering gasp. And dies. My eyes widen in surprise and I try to start it, but it's not turning over. "What the hell?"

I actually know the answer to that. I don't really understand the answer to that, but I know the answer. Something about how nouns in compound sentences become adjectives -- you'd have to ask an English major for a better explanation. But I don't want to muck up the end of our night together by acting like a snob, so I give you the roughly the same answer I give to the kids. "Well, they say it's because people were trying to save their last tooth by brushing." Not historically accurate, really, but an entertaining thought, nonetheless. Also, brushing your teeth is important.

And then your truck suddenly sputters and dies.

Timing is everything...and the date was just starting to get over awkward terribleness. You can reroll 3!
  • Re-rolls 1, 2 and 3
    (Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 4, 3, 2. Total: 9)
  • zach
    "Shit." I say it as I put the truck in Park. I glance over, apologetic. "Sorry. Let me see what's up."

I'm not a real mechanic, but I play one on TV. I pop the hood and head out to take a look. It will take a bit. "Hey Summer, can you grab the flashlight under your seat for me? Please?" I'm trying not to sound upset, but my truck is my pride and joy. This sucks. I think the radiator might be shot.

I thought I was done dating boys with crappy trucks when I graduated from high school. And now I have to hold the flashlight for you? It's my freshmen year all over again. You're lucky you're so cute, Zach.

I fish my cell phone out to use as a flashlight. It's easy enough to find, so it's not long before I hop out to join you under the hood.

"What's wrong with it?" I wonder as I shine the flashlight under the hood. I'm not really sure where you want it pointed, so I trust you'll guide me on that.

Aw, poor baby! Take your last three rerolls!
  • Re-rolls 4, 5 and 6:
    (Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 3, 6, 3. Total: 12)
  • zach
    I chuckle when you shine your phone. I actually have a flashlight, a maglite, but it's good enough. I check a few hoses, the battery, the regular easy-to-fix stuff. I can't say for sure it's the radiator, but it's late, and there's no way I can fix it.

I clap my hands, shake my head and look over at you, "I'm sorry, Summer." I gesture for you to move back and close the hood. "C'mon, I'll walk you home."

Well, at least it's a nice night for a walk. I tuck my phone back into my purse and step back to let you lock up the truck...or whatever it is you need to do with it.

"I guess that just ruined your plans for sleeping in tomorrow..."
  • zach
    "True.... damn." I joke as I pull my cane out and lock up the truck. "But it is a nice night for a walk with a pretty girl, so I'll call it a win anyway."

I offer you my arm so we can walk over to the sidewalk. There are some palm trees in yards, but the street's mostly clear and the sky is amazing. The saly in the air from the ocean has always been a great reminder of how close we are to the edge of the earth, so to speak.

I appreciate that you aren't walking too fast. I'm not having trouble keeping up with this pace. Before I can check myself, I say aloud, "I used to clock a six minute mile. It was high school cross country. I never loved running, but I miss it now." I glance over, a little guilty at the admission.

The admission makes me feel a bit bad for you, suddenly -- especially the way I first reacted to the cane's appearance. But it is pretty impressive, nonetheless. "Now you're just trying to impress me," I tease. But, well, it is working. I'd been somehow a bit afraid to bring it up before, for some reason, but now I tentatively ask, "What happened to your knee?"
  • zach
    I grin when you accuse me of trying to impress you. Guilty as charged.

When you ask about the injury, we walk along a couple steps. I have to avoid a wicked crack i the pavement with sandy grass. Would suck to fall while we're finally connecting. "Well, I'd been in the pros for a few years. Started off as a skill player, you know? But age and minor injuries happen, and so, coach asked me to become a bruiser."

I point at the upper bridge on my left side. "That's when this happened. Anyways, I stuck my nose into one too many fights, and Wierzbowski and Hadden decided to high-low me. My knee went high, then low. A couple reconstructive surgeries and I could barely walk."

After a few more steps, I admit, "I wasn't ready to hang up my skates." I look over, give you a rueful grin, "Not sure I ever would've been, though."

I don't know much about hockey, to be honest, but I can follow what you're saying. Ish. I offer you a smile and reach out to give your hand a squeeze. "You look like you get around alright now."

Okay, now roll your dice!
  • Conflict Dice:
    (Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 5, 5, 1. Total: 11)
  • zach
    "Thanks, Summer." I say with a bashful smile. That makes me feel like a million bucks.

Your place is right up ahead. We walk, hand in hand up the walk, smiling and not saying much, just enjoying the moment, and wondering if there will be a goodnight kiss.

(let's cut this part of the date here. If you like, we can "end the date" as well and skip to the next one and tell what happened at the end of this one as a bit of a flashback. Or, we can have one small last part where we handle the end of the date here. Your call)

I'm going to buy a Compatibility: "We roll with the punches" to reflect that even when something goes wrong, we found a way to become a little bit closer tonight.