[Junk XIII] Some Kind of Stomach Bug (K 4-1, S 4-1)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
You left Tradertown without any further incident, although you felt many eyes on you as you did. Kodak traded off as much as he could, even picked up some trade to bring back to Boomtown. Stitch, the work at the clinic was interesting, if not a little bit fun. What about Alehouse's clinic impressed you? Kiddo, the new ride is as good as your mom's, maybe better. Sleek, powerful, rumbles just right and looks very badass. The only problem with this custom job is if it breaks down, you certainly will have to find Tradertown again.

The little caravan stopped at Bubble City briefly, just long enough to refuel and for Metro to give Roma some advice and last words of encouragement. She seemed pretty sad to see you guys leave, but Metro told her he'd stop by periodically. Then Metro drove the van towards Boomtown to work on Tower Three. The prospects and Starburst rode with you, Kiddo. Have you ever had your own bike before?

Well over a month has passed since you got back. Metro began work on Tower Three immediately. With Logitech backing the project, Metro has taken on a few workers. He spends long hours working, but his schedule almost always aligns with your work at the clinic, Stitch. Recently, he's been waiting for you when you get off at night, heading off with you to get a drink at Loots, or go for a drive, or whatever you want to do. Did you move out of the apartment you've shared with Svenja and Caesar to live in Metro's van? Metro hasn't mentioned lime or Brillo, but you get the feeling he's up to something. Are you planning on asking him about it, or just letting him do his own thing?

Kiddo, you got back to Boomtown dead broke. Tech and Kodak haven't had work for you, and the Libs seem to be handling security for Grand Seville. With jingle tight, are you taking loaners from Rinso, who seems happy to give you enough jingle to keep afloat? Or have you started working for Loot as security for her "new operation"? What is up with Zagnut and the Prospects? They're still around, right? Are they sleeping in the front room? Who's got eyes for Rinso, and how are you handling that? Did you tell Rinso or VB about Lemi's offer?

Stitch, Metro's asked who in Boomtown would be a good DJ. Who did you put on his short-list? What kind of music do they like? How has training with Rinso gone so far? When do you go see him, and what the heck has he been teaching you? Svenja has burned through all of her jingle and she's looking for work. Have you done anything for her?

The Pilgrims have set up a small temple in town. Boomtown has quite a bit of construction going on, with the radio tower and some new businesses. Seems some folks came for Reunion and just stuck around. Crest's brew is selling well, he's even set up a small brewhouse with some money from 'Tech, Grande and a couple others.

Of course, the Libs aren't loving the idea that there are two small gangs in Boomtown now, the Pilgrims and... whatever Kiddo's crew is calling themselves. Do you all have a name?
Why don't you give me a Moonlighting roll while you're at it?

Kiddo, you woke up this morning feeling something awful. Feels like some kind of flu, or something. Hell, who knows, maybe you've got a parasite in you, you're feeling woozy and weak. You decided to head to the clinic to get some meds from Stitch. You're sitting on an exam table, a few other patients in here. It's quiet. You've been waiting for a while now.

Stitch, Kiddo came in half an hour ago, complaining about feeling nauseous. You know what it is, just ran a test to confirm it. Now what do you do?

Comments

• OOC: moonlighting roll. Roll+cool.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 1, 6. Total: 10)
  • I was impressed by Alehouse's clinic because not only was he helping sick or hurt people, he was seeing healthy people, and keeping them healthy. That just doesn't happen here.

I mostly have moved out of the apartment to live in Metro's van, but if Svenja and Caesar are having a hard time covering rent I'll still pay my share. I'm not so worried about Svenja, but I don't want to leave Cee hanging. If it was still cool with Kiddo, they can move in with her, maybe?

I haven't asked Metro about what he's working on. He'll tell me when he's ready. Doesn't mean I'm not thinking about it, but he wouldn't specifically hide stuff from me... right?

I offered up Caesar's name to be DJ- he loves music, but he might be too busy working at Loot's. Motel6 is another option, though I seem to be the only one who likes his singing. Training with Rinso is ok- I've had some training, I just get scared when shit hits the fan, yeah? He's been helping me with my aim and also taught me how to hold that knife I picked up in Tradertown. I've been helping Svenja where I can- vouching for her and whatnot. I don't have the jingle to float her, but if I hear of work, I pass that along to her.
  • The first few days back were really tough. I was complaining to Rinny just how hungry I was one night, mentioning how I could have slept with Lemieux for the bike, and how stupid of me it was to blow my float. He seemed happy enough to keep me fed though. I wound up taking that job from Loot to compensate. The girls even helped out a bit! OOC: gig, security, 1-barter. Kiddo's gang is rich.

As for the bike, I think I remember mentioning that I used to have a dirt bike – like Saff had – but that was short lived, 'cause it was crap, but this machine is a straight up powerhouse! I brought Vee and Rinny out on rides when we got back to Boomtown, and someone must've been looking out for me or something, 'cause we watched a ship touch down that was filled with scrap metal. Rinny and I loaded up as Mich as we could and sold off the site location to the guys building the tower. We made a pretty penny that day! OOC: gig scavenging, 1-barter.

The girls are all here except Starburst, who I sent up north to get the rest of the "Northern Candies" – I figure it's high time we had a pow-wow about them being real Candies. I even offered up a spot to Zag while we sort this out. We don't really have a name, but. Folks have taken to calling us the Boomtown Candies.

The thing with Mirage... Yeah... She thought she thought the thing between Rinny and me was a flirty ordeal, cause she keeps seeing Vee and me trade off. I asked Rinny how he felt about the girls hitting on him, but truth be told I've been a little protective over him lately... I even slipped into his lap, and gave Mirage a cold look when they were all playing poker – to make a point. I didn't need to make it... I just... I just did it.

So anyways, I'm sitting on the exam table, impatiently rocking back and forth, trying to get this frakking nausea down. "C'mon Doc! I plead, "it was probably that street meat I had back in Redcliff last night... Brillo mentioned something about a tea that might help? Just give me that and I'll get out of your hair!"
  • "Kiddo." I say. I want to hold her hand or something. I can't even imagine what getting this news will do to her. Will she be happy? Terrified? I wouldn't want to raise a child in this place...

"Kiddo. It's not the food. You're pregnant." I tell her quietly, as gently as possible.
  • I stare at her blankly for a second, until my brain can process what she just said. A smirk spreads across my face, and I snort loudly, "that's not funny doc, I'm really hurting here... If you don't wanna give me pills that's fine, I'll take the tea."
  • I look her right in the eyes. "I'm not joking." I say, my voice full of concern. "This is morning sickness." I hold up a small device that looks a bit like a walkman- "May I? It's a heart monitor."

If she'll let me, I'll place it on her skin, below her belly button. It projects the baby's heart beat through small speakers.
  • Why would I stop her? I don't believe her. I watch her stick that little walkman thing on my stomach, and it takes me a minute to realize that the little squishy noise is a heart beating... And that it's not mine...

I go pale. There's a bin around here somewhere, yeah? 'cause I totally puke...

What.

The.

Frak.

I wish I could say puking made me feel better, but it totally doesn't... I wipe my mouth off, and sit back down — this time nervously hunched over. I look over to the device, then up to Stitch... I shake my head, and whisper, "I can't be pregnant, Stitch! This... I just can't!"
  • I get a pan in front of her in time and hand her a cloth to wipe her mouth off.

I sit next to her. "I..." I start hesitantly. "Believe it or not, I've been there." I put a hand on her back.
  • I look over to her, surprised, "You have a kid?"
  • I look forward. "No." I answer. I pull my shirt up, showing her my scars. "I would have."
  • The sight of those scars, and the implication that Stitch lost a kid is just depressing... I reach for the pan again, and take a few heavy breaths; but the nausea sort of subsides, and I start chewing on my lip nervously...

"I'm... I'm so sorry Stitch, I didn't know... Was that before ... Before you came here?"
  • "It's... ok." I nod and sigh. "Yes. I joined to get away from him." I chuckle to myself a bit. "And it worked. I was frozen for over a hundred years."
  • edited November 2013
    I look down at the floor a little embarrassed, 'cause I had never imagined why someone would leave the old world for this craphole... I always imagined the old world was frakking awesome, with free food and booze, and everyone can have babies and crap... I can see how losing a baby would make you wanna run.

Frak, I can see how having a baby would make you want to run...

"My Ma' lost one before she knew for sure," I whisper, "she got into a fight with Sapphire's Ma', Fox, and Fox hit her real frakkin' hard... She made a little grave for him... Little Simon... That's why she went up North, and why I went into the Valley back at Salt... Babies make folks do weird things..."

I sigh, "Stitch... What am I gunna do?"
  • She's so young, my heart melts a little for her. I wrap an arm around her shoulder and half-hug her. I sigh. "You have some options. If you want, you have the baby and become a mom. If not... I can help- though I don't have the equipment I'd like."

I think about Rinso chasing around a little baby, cradling it in his huge chest and I laugh a single little laugh at the thought of it.
  • I frown in frustration at the thought of having only those two options. I'm not sure I like either of them... I definitely don't like the sound of the second one. The sad reality of it is, I don't have any options — I can't kill a baby. I can't. I won't. I saw what it did to Ma', and I could never do that — especially now that I know — and I can't abandon a baby... I might as well kill it.

I shake my head, "I'd make a horrible Ma', Stitch. Look at me! You know me better than most folks in Boomtown do! I can't sit still! I'd sooner jump into a burning jumpship than sit on the sidelines and watch folks get hurt! But I can't just... I can't ..."

Gods, I can't even say it.

"Nobody can know... I need to think about stuff... Nobody. Not even Rinny and Vee." I look over to her, and plead with her, "Please don't tell anyone!"
  • "I know. It'll be ok, you'll figure it out. Of course I won't tell anyone." I reply.

In truth I think she'd make a great mother. She's good folk and would protect the kid like nobody else. She's young, and her own parents are gone, but that child would be lucky to have her as a mom.
  • I turn and give Stitch a hug. I guess it's all I can do right now... After a few minutes silence, I pull away and wipe some tears from my eyes.

I can't be a Ma'. I just can't be. I've got to get up north. I've gotta find Ma' and Dad now.

"I uh... I've got the girls coming in from up North. I wanna try and get them all flying under one banner..." I sniffle, and rub my sore stomach, "can I take something for the nausea?"
  • I hug her tight, holding her to me.

When she asks what she can take, I go over to a cabinet and rummage around in it, pulling out a chunk of ginger. Kim does a lot of medicine with just plants, and we give it to women who have morning sickness. "It doesn't taste great, but it should help. Ginger ale, too, if you can find it."
  • Ew.

... If this is the kind of stuff I'm going to be doing as a mother, this kid had better appreciate it.

I take the ginger, and nod thankfully. "I guess we'll see you later? Thanks Stitch..."
  • Kiddo,

Please go here.
  • Stitch,

The now pregnant Kiddo heads on, and you finish up your shift. This one turns out to be a long day because right when you thought you might sneak out early, Jonamac and McIntosh carried in poor Idared. Someone beat Idared down, fierce. He was puking blood and had broken ribs. The Libs wouldn't talk about it, but you got the sense it wasn't an internal beef. Someone nearly beat one of their own to death.

As you were leaving, Kim told you, "Stick close, Stitch. I'm betting this is the beginning of some rough times."

With that on your mind, you head over to Tower Three. Metro is up in the booth doing sound checks on the board he wired. The booth, like Salt and Bubble City, has a spectacular view of the sunset.

Did you catch Metro's attention before coming up, or just head up the ladder? Either way, he's not surprised you're there, he might be surprised who it is, though. He looks over his shoulder from the small folding chair he's sitting on while playing with all the toggles of the board that sits on a presswood table built into the booth. The sun is brilliant orange and red across the horizon. "Hello, Stitch," he says with a sudden smirk.

There is a cold pot of coffee that smells lightly of cinnamon on the table.

What do you do?
  • I nod to Kim. She would know- I don't even know how long she's been doctoring in Boomtown. I'm glad Kim lent me an apron to wear at work so I wouldn't keep ruining clothes.

I know I can't sneak up on him, but I don't call up ahead to Metro- I want to see that smirk. The smirk he only does for me. I grin back at him.

"How's it going?" I ask, looking more at the sunset than the instruments. I help myself to some coffee.
  • "Better now," he says as he watches you pour the cup. "Caesar and Motel are both ready to get Tower Three up and running." He unfolds a chair, sits it beside him and goes back to checking a couple toggles.

"Their music tastes are quite different," he muses. "But they will work out who plays what and when." He waits for you to sit and have a drink before asking, "Long day?"
  • "Yeah. One of the Libs came in, beat near to death." I reply, sitting down next to him. "Kim says it'll be rough times ahead. I wonder if it was Candies or Pilgrims."

It's nice to sit down and relax. I'd prefer the coffee hot but it's still good- the view makes up for it.
  • You realize the coffee was probably hot an hour ago when you normally get here. Reheated coffee isn't so great. The news makes his smirk disappear. "Gang wars are dangerous. Does Kim have security? Sometimes clinics are caught in the crossfire."
  • "I don't know. Probably. Maybe she can hire Svenja." I make a mental note to talk to Kim about it. I'd trust Svenja to have my back and she could use the jingle.

"But Kiddo is sort of leading the Candies? Would the Pilgrims start something with the Libs?" I ask him.
  • Metro agrees, "Svenja is well trained, level headed. That is a good choice."

"I know little about the Pilgrims as they exist now," Metro says. "They were the knights templar for the temples that were built when the colonists first crashed here. Over the years, they became extremely violent until the pods fell. I would not trust them."
  • "Let's not worry about that right now." I stand up and move between Metro and the board.
  • Metro sits back in his chair, looks up at you. The smirk slips back onto his face, "What would you rather worry about, Stitch?" He reaches forward to take your hands in his.
  • "I'm very concerned about all those clothes you're wearing." I tell him with a smirk of my own. I sit down on his lap, working a button on his shirt loose.

I lean in to kiss his neck. "It's very worrying." I whisper in his ear, nibbling it.
  • edited November 2013
    He makes a hmm sound and slips his hands to your hips, resting them there, enjoying the sensation of holding you without getting in your way, "Stitch, you realize people can see us up here, right?"

He doesn't sound like he's saying no, mind you.
  • I stop, mid-kiss. I know he's a private guy and I don't want to press him. I sigh and pull back. "Ok. You have a lot more work here?"
  • Metro smirks, and takes his hands off your hips, moving them under the back of your shirt to lightly touch your lower back, "Nothing I can't put off for tomorrow." He leans his head forward to playfully nip at your lower lip.

"I am compelled to allay your concerns and worries, Stitch. You know, it is against the second law for me to say no to you." He pulls his hands to yours and pushes them back to the button on his shirt, and smirks. He's practically daring you now.

Oh, didn't you leave the trapdoor open, too?

What do you do?
  • I did leave the trapdoor open- I was preoccupied on my way up...

My hands still. "I don't want to compel you. I want you to do what you want to do." This has come up before- I absolutely do not want to take away his free will and have learned to choose my words carefully with him.
  • Metro gently releases your hands. He says in a serious tone, "I want to be with you, Stitch. I shouldn't have been coy. If you recall back at Salt, you, ah, you never finished those lessons on flirting." He starts to smirk, but realizes the mood is spoiled, and stops.

He puts his hands at his sides, relaxed, and even though you're sitting on his lap, he seems calm, "I have spent far more time alone than in the company of people I adore. We both know my work on Tower Three is complete. I have chosen to stay with you now, to enjoy these moments we have together. That's all that compels me."
  • "It's ok. I just... I don't ever want to force you, ok?" I look into his eyes.

"So what now? Anything you want." I ask him, smiling at the last sentence.
  • "Well, first. Kiss me." he says, looking right back in your eyes in that unflinching way he has with you. You've seen him around strangers, always distant, quiet, aloof. But the last few weeks, the long time you've spent together, he's opened up to you.

Assuming you comply with his first request, he waits for you to come up for air, then he smirks and flicks a glance to the plywood floor, "Lie down."

What do you do?
  • I do ask he tells me to and kiss him passionately, pulling him in by his shirt.

I raise my eyebrows at his instruction, but do so after a second, intrigued.
  • Metro stands up, and doesn't follow you to the floor. He takes a couple steps over to flip the trapdoor closed with the toe of his shoe. It clatters down in place and he kneels down to slide the bolt, locking it. Then he stands back up and walks over to stand over you, one leg between your feet, the other to the left of your right foot. He smirks down at you, and says in a calm but clear tone, "Strip."
  • I smirk back at him, stalling for just a moment or two- biting my lip.

I lift my shirt up over my head slowly, but without flair.
  • He watches you with those piercing eyes, unflinching. He lowers down to a crouch, below the sight-line of the booth's window and looks down on your body, the smirk spreading. "Don't stop." He's only a foot away from you, but it feels farther, doesn't it?

Has he ever "bossed you around" before like this?
  • He does feel farther away, but I don't care. He's never acted like this before- I like it.

I unzip my pants and slide them down to my hips, and pause- looking at him with a wicked grin.
  • Metro narrows his eyes when you pause, and points a finger towards you. "Tsk tsk." Then he gestures with the finger down towards your hips and further down towards your feet.

"This is what I want, Stitch," he says in a calm tone that sounds a touch deeper. "You. You are what I want."
  • Anyone but Metro and I'd feel self-conscious. Too skinny. Too many scars. But with him, I feel beautiful.

I slide my pants the rest of the way down, slowly, taking my time. I take my shoes off while I'm at it.

"What next?" I ask.
  • Metro looks at you, just quietly eyes your body every inch of you. You realize he could easily paint a picture of you from memory with a glance, but this is deliberate. He's showing you something. What do you think it is, Stitch?

With eyes completely on you, he begins undressing himself quickly, then moves to hover over you, looking down into your eyes, "Now, tell me. Tell me what I mean to you, Stitch."
  • He's showing me that it is his choice. That he enjoys looking at me. That he trusts me.

I eye him appreciatively as he undresses.

"You mean everything to me." I start. I've struggled since waking up- I never thought I would want to love someone again, much less be capable of it- I was hurt so badly before and this place is not friendly to the vulnerable. I don't care about any of that, though. "I love you." I whisper, looking into his eyes, surprising myself a little.
  • edited November 2013
    He leans down to kiss you, accepting you and your words. He lowers himself down, onto you, into you. The smirk is gone, and as he begins making love to you, he asks, "Even though I'm not human? Even though you'll grow old and I won't ever change? Even then... you love me?"
  • "Yes. Even then." I tell him. "Always." I hold the sides of his face in my hands, kissing him tenderly between words.

I don't need him to be human, I just need him to be... him. The one who made me feel not alone anymore. The one who made me feel safe.

I wonder if he'll still want me when I'm old and wrinkley. I haven't thought much about the future in this place simply because so many people don't have a future here. I've been living from moment to moment, not all that interested is much past work. But Metro makes me want a future. I don't care if it's here or if he can build the towers and get a signal out and get us picked up. Wherever he is, I want to be.
  • That's enough. That was all the questions he had. He returns the kisses tenderly and he has no more words.

Or wait. Maybe four more words.

Half an hour later, laying together, spent from your passions, the air outside growing cold, only his body keeping the chill off, both of you looking out the open window into the night, looking at the stars together, Metro has his arm around you, pulling you close to him. He kisses the side of your forehead and whispers, "I love you, too."

--END SCENE--