[SWAW] The Big Score (22)

1234568»

Comments

• Kelb-Header
    That gets a smile back. "I like your help." She starts patting herself dry again, "Maybe when you get your ship docked and hear all the horrible news, you can come visit me and I'll kriff your cares away."

Are you heading back to meet with your crew?

I am, yes. No reason to keep them waiting. When I arrive, I pull a glass of water and take a sip, then begin. "Okay. The Margin is going to need some serious loving care, and that worries me more than it does anyone, but I want to make a commitment to you. We're not just a ship's crew, not at all, and I promise I will do all I can to keep us together and employed, not just profitably but meaningfully. I know at least two of you have been approached by someone from Kelb's team. In future, please come to me if that happens. I think it's only fair." I pause for reactions.
  • Jojee
    Jojee scoffs a bit, "What? Pem always asks me to join his crew. He knows I'm the best pilot around. I wasn't even considering it."

Hosk glares at Jojee and then Amarath, "Amy?"

Amy shrugs, doesn't answer out loud.

I keep it level. Already vented some frustration on Kelb, so that helps. "I'm not throwing around accusations or anything, here. I'm just acknowledging that our current state might be a little discouraging, and I really hope any of you feel comfortable coming to me if you're worried or considering other options. Understood?" I'm not done, but I do want to make sure we're clear on this.
  • Jojee shrugs, not offering any argument. Amy nods. Hosk nods, but you can tell he's embarrassed this happened on his watch. They get it.

"That said... we're likely to be without the Margin for maybe six months, and a lot of our new reserves are going to be eaten up with the repairs. Unless... maybe it's time for us, for me..." I look to Hosk. "...to admit that I'm a Rebel. It may take some time, and it certainly won't be immediate, but what if we limp the Margin to a Rebel shipyard and sign on? I bet I could swing a frigate. Jojee, how do you think you'd look, at the helm of an X-Wing?"
  • Jojee
    That gets a pretty immediate, "I think I would look pretty amazing. But really, I was born for an A Wing. You think I could in one of those?"

Hosk chimes in with, "I'll sign up. It felt good punching those Imps in their karking kidneys."

Amarath seems a bit unsure, but doesn't offer up an objection.

I note Amy's reaction, consider glossing over it, but decide against it. "Amarath, I know you're not big on causes. I don't want to force you into anything. I'd like to hear what you have to say."
  • Amarath-header
    "I karking hate the Imps, like all smart folks." Amarath says quickly, looking around at the crew, and you. "I'm interested in helping out, especially if Squally's up for it. But I'm not... much of a soldier? I'm a warrior. I don't march. I don't hop to. I'd look awful in their unis."

Jojee
    "I'm kinda hot in orange."

Amarath-header
    "You're kinda hot in everything."
  • edited April 2015

I nod to Amy. "Yes, Jojee wears the clothes well... but to your point, what if you were leading a strike force of, say, 10 or 12? I see us as irregulars... striking hard and fast and then vanishing. Not marching in lockstep with an army. We would ALL..." I look at Hosk and shrug, "...mostly ALL be useless in a close-drill situation. I know I would be."
  • Amarath nods, seeming interested in being an irregular. Jojee has stars in her eyes about an X-Wing. Hosk gives you a solid nod, like "we've got this".

Anything else to discuss with the crew?

Nope. I think we understand each other. "Okay, we get it? It may take a bit, but we'll make it through. Please, though... if you have any worries or doubts, come to me. I am literally nothing without you."
  • Hosk gives a solid nod to that. It touches him deeply, you see that.
    Jojee seems like she's listening, but still imagining an X-Wing.
    Amarath is taken aback by that admission. It sort of freaks her out, your radical honesty.

I give everyone one last look, take another sip of water, and say, "Thanks, everyone. Any questions? Anything you need from me?"
  • Amarath-header
    "Who's your recruiter? Darkal? That hottie on Devaron?"

"I'll get a message to Alanna. She's got the network to put us in touch with the right people."
  • Amarath nods. Jojee peppers with a few questions about training, organization stuff, things you don't really know. Hosk offers his support, assuring Amy and Jo both that the crew will stick together, and that settles nerves.

Looks like your crew is on board with going Rebel.
  • The Nova Whisper brings your poor beaten up Profit Margin out of hyperspace near Raxus Prime. Kelb ferries the ship down to the surface of Raxus Prime, and you're able to use repulsors to fly to Hontu's hidden IsoTech base.

When you come in for landing, Squall is there with Norta. Ze waves excitedly, but then you come closer, and zir eyes tell the story of what you already know - your ship is in rough shape.

Captain Madak lands in the other bay at the same time, close enough for you to see the survivors trickling out of the ship. The Duros couple have been paid, they'll be taking off again soon. Kelb's already gone. Did you help her with anything before she left?

If you hadn't seen it from the cockpit, you'd never know Squally has noticed it, because when you drop the ramp and walk down, ze's there, all smiles. There's a small bandage around zir neck. Ze bounds up to hug, and kiss Amarath, then Hosk, ending with you (Jojee's doing post-flight checks). Squall puts an arm around Amarath, but asks you, "Captain! You saved so many people! I'm so proud of all of you, so glad you're safe."

Amarath is peeking at Squall's neck, curious about what's underneath.

I was perfectly willing, even eager, to give Kelb a little more help, but somehow the right time just never happened. I do surreptitiously slip Nill a packet of my mix of klava spices when I get a chance, though.

I return Squall's hug. "I'm glad to be safe, too. You'll be pleased to know that we did manage to get some octopus skins as well, and only one of us wound up covered in poodoo in the process." I pause, more serious. "I know the Margin looks rough... she is rough, but we can talk about that later. How are you? Recovering well?"
    Squall nods gently, "Yes, Captain, I'm recovering quickly. Lots of bacta and Dr. Cratala's smooth hand, it was a snap. I should be good to travel when you're ready." Ze looks at Amarath, "And before you ask, we can get re-acquainted in a couple days. Buuuut, there's some new stuff I think I can do that you're gonna liiiike."

Amarath giggles. Full on giggles at that. Hosk looks like he's going to die of embarrassment.

Hosk clears his throat, "Well, anyways. Lad, you mind if I book passage to Secundus for a couple days? You'd mentioned some furlough, that's still on, right?" Jojee's walking down the ramp to catch the tail end of that.

I consider that. It's going to take at least a few days to figure out our next step, and we've all had some heavy times. "Fine by me, Hosk. Jojee, you too, if you'd like. I'm sticking here to work out some things. Amarath, you're welcome to take a few days, too, if you want, but it sounds like Squall's not ready to travel yet."
  • Jojee
    Jojee chirps, "Let's wait for an estimate on the Margin, Hosk. Then I'll head to Secundus with you."

Amarath-header
    "Yeah, I'll stick around here with sickie."

Squall arches a brow, "Sickie? That's sickie poo to you, Amy. Sickie poo."

"Anyways! I agree, Jo. We'll see the repair estimate, then head out."

That works for me. "Well, let's get settled, then. I'll talk with Hontu and see what I can work out." Before I walk away, I turn and scoop Squall up into another hug. "It really is good to see you're doing well, Squall. I've been worrying. A lot."
    Squall snuggles into the hug and sighs lightly. Ze looks up at you, stars in zir eyes, "I'll be one hundred percent when we leave, Captain. Thanks for not giving up on me. Thanks for saving me. I love you." Ze snuggles in for another hug, squeezing tight.

Behind zir, you see Amarath watching. The expression on her face is like a kid trying to figure out a magic trick, about to give up.

You all head back to the ship, chat with Norta about the repairs. He estimates two to three months, and the price is just shy of Hosk's estimates, but not much. He can cut the repair time in half by hiring mechanics offworld, but that's a pretty penny. Squall suggests talking with the survivors, Cratala mentioned some mechanics were at The Retreat. You did see Rewna among them.

"None of us gave up on you, Squall, and all of us love you." I give Hosk a look over her shoulder... 'You don't have to agree, but don't comment.'

I nod agreement to talking with the survivors, seeing if they're willing to chip in. "Need to have my talk with Hontu first, but feel free to start mingling. Check in with Rewna, for sure. She's the only Lim I know of among the crowd."
  • Squall and Amarath head off to find and talk to Rena. Hosk and Jojee stay with the ship, moving a number of their things off it since it will be in dry-dock for a while.

Hontu-header
    You find Hontu reclining on a large couch built for his girth. He has a host of displays around him, he's keeping track of a host of spreadsheets, data feeds, recent cybernetic designs from Cratala and even a dirty movie. He looks over at you, "Ladro... Cratala is quite pleased with the number of survivors you brought back. Looks like our ship is worse for wear. Captain Madak reported the fight with the frigate was difficult."
  • edited April 2015

"I was glad we were able to help. The fight was a challenge—I'm afraid it will be some months before the Margin flies again—but the end result was worth it. Do you think you'll be able to help these people?"
  • Hontu-header
    Hontu flips a toggle on his console and the dirty movie switches off. He turns his focus to you, "There are several members of Cratala's staff, a skilled engineer and several soldiers who I would have work for immediately. The others would need some evaluation and as long as they're willing to travel and separate, I'm rather sure I can offer each of them something."

Hontu's dirty movie was intriguing, if a bit unlikely. On the whole, I'm glad he switched it off. "I'm glad to hear that. Cholganna almost killed me several times without even trying... I can't imagine how much guts and determination those people must have had to survive for so long there." Some of them might even still be mostly sane. "I'm hoping, by the way, that you won't mind me staying here for a week or so. I need to get our next steps lined up, and I'd appreciate it if you can help arrange transport to Secundus for two of my crew."
  • Hontu-header
    Hontu gestures with a welcoming wave of his hand, "Feel free to be my guest for a week. Passage to Secundus is no problem. I'll have Norta handle it when your people are ready." He checks a data feed, peering at it while leaning closer to the holoscreen, "Norta's repair estimates are... significant. What are your next steps?"

"Working on figuring those out. Since you've given me some time without payments hanging over my head, I've got a bit more freedom that I otherwise would have. Truth be told, I'm looking for a way to join the Alliance. I'm much better at what I do when I care about what I do."
  • Hontu-header
    That gets a ho-ho-ho Huttese laugh from Hontu, "I care about what I do, too. I like making credits and growing my power base." He presses a couple buttons on his console, then looks back to you, "I will continue to offer you work. I hope you will strongly consider it."

"Of course I will. You have been... a much more gracious patron than I expected or deserved. Thank you."
  • Hontu-header
    The Huttese chuckle happens again, "And for a sleemo who dropped my name and nearly got himself disintegrated, you're a very resourceful fellow. Good luck on your journey." With that, you're free to go.

Anything else to check up on, or shall we screen wipe and jump forward a bit?

I'll settle into whatever quarters are offered, and help unload whatever needs unloading from the Margin, but that's it. Jump away.
  • --END SCENE--