[Junk XIII] First Broadcast (S 4-2)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
It's a pretty festive afternoon as people gather for the first broadcast of Tower Three. Now that Towers One and Two have been going for a couple months, word has spread. Like Logitech hoped, this is becoming a big deal. Growing a sense of community, letting voices be heard.

Sprite and Loot have both donated food for the ceremony. They're laid on tables at opposite ends of the open area below the tower. Kids are here with families. You recognize Ikea and others that you've treated. They're so excited and hopeful, it's a slice of wonderful.

Speaking of letting voices be heard, who is up there in the booth, the first DJ of Tower Three: Motel or Caesar? And what's the first song they're going to play?

Did you convince Kim to give you some time to go to this, or are you running a little First Aid tent like at Reunion?

Metro is with you. He refused to go up into the booth, but he spent several hours setting everything up. He even wrote a manual, eighty-seven pages long. He's there, with you, holding your hand when Logitech is coming over to you both. He's all smiles.

What do you do?

Comments

• Motel6 is in the booth- age before beauty, right? He's going to play Heart of Gold.

I was able to convince Kim to give me some time off, but she knows damn well that I'm there if someone gets hurt. Doctors are never off-duty, really.

Metro even showed me that damn manual! He was so proud of it!

"Hey, Tech!" I say, waving with my free hand.
  • Logitech comes up, all smiles, "Wow, Metro... did you see that?" Metro quirks a brow, confused. Logitech laughs, "Stitch's smile? Hell, I didn't know she had one! C'mere little girl, give me a hug."

Metro lets go and 'Tech brings you into a warm hug, then he turns to shake Metro's hand, "Fine work with the tower, son. That thing is solid."

"Uhm, thanks." Metro says, his body language turning in, he doesn't want the spotlight, he doesn't want to be seen or known. Too much attention, he worries. But he offers a polite smile.

Logitech doesn't seem to register, he looks at you, Stitch, "Did you try the little cakes Butter Nut and VB made? They're delicious!"
  • I grin like an idiot and hug Logitech. "Not yet! Don't eat them all!" I joke, trying to deflect his attention away from Metro.

I laugh so long as Logitech's laughing- I don't know him that well, but he seems like a jolly old guy.
  • Tech guides you two over to Butter Nut's table. It's nearly bare, but VB is standing there smiling, ear to ear. She stoops down, reaching under the cloth on the table and pulls out a small plate with two little cakes on it. "I saved you two a cake each. But I only saved one plate, though. You'll have to sharrrre." She puts the plate out for you.

Metro takes a cake and I assume you do, too. Tech and VB both watch you close as you take a bite. Metro seems to enjoy it immensely. And this cake, it's a chesscake, not too heavy, not too sweet, overall amazingly flakey crust.

As you're enjoying the food, Tech claps Metro on the back, "So, Metro. When are you heading down to work on Tower Four?"

Metro makes like his mouth is too full to answer. But that will only last for so long.

What do you do?
  • edited November 2013
    I stick my tongue out at VB when she says share like that.

When I bite into the chesscake? Yeah, it's hell good. Maybe I make a little show out of it? I've been enjoying the attention that damn muffin got me- so what? I smirk at Metro.

"Any day now." I answer for Metro, making a sad face. "What about you? How is business? How are things?" I ask Tech.
  • Logitech starts to answer, but Metro says with his mouth still a little full, "I'm not going."

Tech looks at him, gawking for a moment, "What?" He looks to you, Stitch.

What do you do?
  • My mouth falls open when Metro speaks. We hadn't really been talking about tower 4 lately, but this is a new development. I step over to Metro and whisper, "Because of me?" I glance over at Logitech and smile nervously.

"We're going to to talk. We'll be right back." I tell him, and pull Metro away from the group.
  • edited November 2013
    Metro puts the plate down and walks with you away from a troubled-looking Logitech. When you get slightly away from the crowd, before you speak, you hear Motel announcing to the crowd over loudspeakers that the broadcast will be starting soon. He starts thanking the Radio Committee, Logitech and all the work detail and then the tech crew.

"Yes." Metro answers.
  • I sigh. "When... You can't... Why..." I stammer. Of course I want him to stay- I've been happier in the last few weeks than I have in my entire life.
  • "Because of you. Of us," he explains. He takes your hands, "The communications array can wait. You can't, Stitch." He looks down into your eyes, "I will begin training a small team on the tower's construction, give them the van and the locations of all the supplies I've gathered. I'll just have to trust that they can do the job And, if I have to make a trek out to check on small problems, then we can go together. Also," he drops his voice a little, "I can work on lime while I'm here, and I owe it to her to help if I can. And, if you're in danger at the clinic, I can't just leave. I... I won't."
  • I reach my hands out, grabbing his. "The towers are important. Not just for you, but for them." I look back to the folk gathered to listen to Motel6. "You can't just stop working because of me." I duck my head down a bit, looking up into his eyes.

"I... I was going to ask if I could come with." I say, moving so our bodies touch.
  • "I don't want to reach out to the stars anymore, Stitch." The first sounds of Heart of Gold begins playing as he reaches up to touch your cheek, "Not when you're right here." He circles his left hand around your waist.

"But... if you're coming with me. Well, I could keep working. I mean... probably at a much slower pace, since you're so distracting."
  • "Oh, I could distract you all you like." I say, a smile spreading over my face. We slow dance a bit to the song.

My brain reminds me that I'll grow old and die and he will be the same old Metro, but I squash that part down. The only thing that matters is right here, right now.
  • Metro smirks, and dances with you. He leans down to your ear, "I do want to help lime. I doubt Brillo will part with her. Do you have any ideas to help there?"
  • "I keep meaning to have a drink with the guy, but you keep distracting me." I say, poking him playfully. "Maybe if she had a body she'd be more of a person and less 'his'? I dunno- sometimes I think he's just lonely, but sometimes..." I'm not even sure what I mean.
  • Metro chuckles when you goose him. He doesn't finish your last sentence, just let's it go, "Please have a drink with him. I can't... we can't leave until we sort out how I can help lime. What about your friends, Stitch? What about the clinic?"
  • "Kim will run the clinic. I will doctor wherever we go. I know I do a lot of good here, but people need help everywhere." I've thought about trying to train someone. I should talk to Kim about that. "Kiddo... I don't know. She was talking about going to the Ascendant, but now... it'll work out. As long as we're together, I don't care where that is."
  • A new song has come on, something not so danceable. Metro leads you towards Logitech, "Do you want to ride north with Kiddo and her crew? Those girls are in need of medical care, the new ones. Armour is on my list."
  • "I want to ride with you." I say, not answering his question. "Yeah. Let's go north- change of scenery, yeah?" I take his hand and start walking.

"You have a list?" I ask, curious.
  • Metro leads you away from the crowd, leaving the Tower behind you, heading towards the van. He shows you a map he's drawn of the area, goes over the towns along the route, then shows you a second map of the communications array, with all thirteen points. The thirteenth, is right in Wendy territory, you notice.

Someone comes a knockin', by the way. Please head here.