[FURY] Crossways at the Races (August, Dog 1.1)

Dog,

With Tin-Girl trailing and Hachiko up ahead, you all come up to the shadows of Safeco. Sounder's got her bleeding harpoon gun out, she's standing near the main entrance. People are shifting past her as she watches outside, probably for you. You spot Chance, too, she's sitting on her haunches on top of a streetlight, who knows how she got up there.

Sounder.png
"Bout time!" Sounder calls. A guy bumps into her as he walks past, she shoves him, hard, into a couple people, they stumble on, giving her dirty looks. "Lock and key! Put it under lock and key, right? Am I right, Tinnie! Yeah! You know I'm right. Lock! Key!" Tin-Girl snarls at her as she looks for a place to park her ride.

You spot August, she's pulling up in her ride.

When Admiral tells the Arrow pack to work security, do you work outside the gates or inside, on the track keeping the drivers in line, what?

August,

As you get closer, you hear Sounder, see Tin-Girl's reaction, she's got dried blood at over her hand, on her cheek, too. Her ride looks rough, it's giving off an odd whine, which is bizarre for her, she normally has the tip top. Hachiko and Dog are here, too.

When Admiral tells you to entertain, how do you normally work it? Are you like an announcer, do you head up to the suites and jibber jabber with the elites, something else?

What do you do?

Comments

• photo Dog3.png

Chance gets a laugh and a wave. That looks fun.

I pull at the little key on my collar with a grin at Sounder; it's on a thing that feeds line out and then pulls back, makes a little whizz sound. I never lose it this way, least not till someone's stomped me flat. "Sounder, you gonna borrow go-time with that thing?"

When we work security, we work the gates and outside where our bikes give us a good way to chase. Maybe patrol. Whatever.

I hop off my bike, hands still on the bars and walk off the last slide beside it. I'm happy to see August, so once my bike's on standby right I walk over, swing a leg over her front impeller before she steps off and lean on her handlebars to bump foreheads with her and see her eyes again. "Hey." I'm still troubled but it feels like I left it near the forest.
  • edited May 2015

Entertaining at the races is mostly being a pretty face, talking small and pleasant. And being the eye candy for the fat wallets, the ones flush in their pockets. Sometimes I tell rough neighbors stories about how tough Admiral is, or how clever Valentine is. Admiral never straight-up tells me to take em home, but if I fancy them I will bob my tail, same as for anyone else. He knows better, I think.

But Valentine's the one with the real flashbiz, I stay off the megaphones.

"Hey yourself," I say against Dog's cheek, tugging affectionately on the front of her jacket. Then I hop off, haul my bike over to where the other Arrows leave theirs. Tug my denim back into place on my hips, throw my satchel over my shoulder. I wave to Sounder, nod to Hachiko.

While I've got her ear, I let Dog know about Joey's run-in with Speed. Wipe a bit of blood off Dog's cheek with some spit. Then I jut an elbow towards the back of Tin-Girl. "What busted up her bike?"
  • photo Dog3.png

I get both legs on one side of the wheel and help August get her bike seated tidy next to mine and Sounder's. I take an arm if she'll let me; I like holding hands.

When she tells me about Joey I let go - I don't want to clamp down on her. I grip on my own wrists, make the little pops sound out. My jaw sets solid as I listen carefully. "Joey's just little. Speed feel like a big man doing that to him?" But Joey wants to handle it. Feel like he's grown. My gut says he isn't ready. And that old rotter sank an Arrow in water. Real bad.

August interrupts my thinking, wiping my cheek. I got some on me? Gross.

"Some moist-headed idiot caught Tin-Girl with her bike running and stole it. Got in a wreck chasing him down. She blooded him." I can't sound satisfied about it.

"Blooded him pretty rotten, but I think he was sick."
  • edited May 2015

Tin-Girl hops off her ride and starts fussing with the airfoil. Chance shimmies down the light and hops over to check on Tin-Girl, pulling out a bottle of water so she can wash off her hands. People are filing inside Safeco, dropping off bits of jingle to pay entrance at the motor duel. Admiral's "close gang" watches close for big weapons. Hand weapons, knives, clubs, whatever, that’s no big deal. But guns are checked or turned away

Sounder.png
    Sounder comes as you two start walking, ”Yo, August, lookin’ good!” She offers you a high five but doesn’t wait for one before turning to Dog. ”Hey Dog, the rest are keeping eyes on. You gonna hang at the gate or ride?”
  • edited May 2015

My hand fits in Dog's real easy-like. I keep stride with only a little extra effort on my part, returning Sounder's high five with my free hand.

Hey Dog, how long we been together like this? Does it bug you when you see me with other folks?

"Sick. Huh. Do you remember the story of Hadaly and the Madness?" Dog has heard me tell it before. It's a strange little story about a woman made from steel who lost herself to the metal. But when the Starmaiden cut her free from the tinny suit and the tinny brain and the tinny problem, there was nothing else left.

I circle back to Joey. "Want me to talk to the Admiral about Speed?" It's not a very good idea, but I feel like I should ask.

• photo Dog3.png

"I'm here for a while." I let Sounder know, then return my attention to August.

"Yeah? She did weird stuff she didn't mean to and then she died." I'm not sure I like the story. But it's only a story. I watch Chance help Tin-Girl get her hands clean.

August, we've been together since just a little before Bon got her infirmary set up. I don't tend to mind when you're with other people. They just have to treat you like pack treats you. If they act like they own you it makes me want to tear them up.

I breathe real slow and even. Shake my head 'no'. "I gotta talk to Rainey."

August nods when Dog sums up the story. She likes it a lot. Sometimes there isn't any more to someone than their hate or their grief or their madness. And sometimes there isn't much worth to a body that can't remember how to step outside of that. Not worth mourning.

"Okay," she says when Dog suggests going to Rainey. Way better than her idea.

Then: "I'll see you after the races. Earning my keep tonight." Another tug on Dog's lapel and August is winding her way up towards Admiral.
  • photo Dog3.png

I keep my hands soft over August's as she tugs my lapel, let her go. "Okay, I'll be around here or piled in."

I give my hands a sniff, try to focus. Tin-Girl's ride fixing's gonna maybe cost. I wanna be around when her mad-on goes away, too. Maybe Bon could tell me a thing about the madness. Wanna choke Speed out for dipping Joey. Rainey. "Yo, Sounder, where's Rainey?"

• Dog,

Sounder.png
    "She ran around the place a couple minutes ago," Sounder says as she pulls her little metal whistle and blows on it. A shrill sound comes out of it, bouncing across the concrete and metal that makes up this section of Safeco.

In a few moments, Dog, you see Rainey, Belka and Laika in their rides come around the bend, from the far side of Safeco. They zip up your way. Rainey pulls up alongside you.

Rainey.png
    "Hoi, Dog," Rainey calls as she gets in earshot. She adjusts the engine noise, hovers near. "I see Tin-Girl got her ride back, that's good."
  • edited May 2015
    photo Dog3.png

"Yeah, they're not easy to get more of. Got bad news, though. Rev up a little."

I get shoulder-to-shoulder with my right-hand girl as her engine gets angry again. "Speed caught Joey trying to steal hooch from Admiral's people. Gave him a whoopin, dunked his head in water. Clean, not bloody. I got a mind to go eat Speed's bent-ass old man fingers off but Joey has it in his head he's gonna fix things. We..we can't go real hard on Admiral's guys, even his has-beens, right?"

This is improvement, two years ago I would have been asking permission to kill the guy and get out of town before he's noticed. I'm willing to listen to some whole other thing now. My gears are turning, but I wanna know what Rainey thinks.
  • Rainey.png
    Rainey's jaw sets when you tell her about Speed and Joey. Anger flashes, followed by a bit of worry. "Joey's one of ours. Speed should have brought him to us. Or let Admiral hold him, till we made it right. You gotta tell Admiral what's what. Don't let Laika know till you do." She glances back at the rest of the Arrows. "Who else knows?"
  • photo Dog3.png

I put an arm around Rainey's shoulder. "You're right. Only August knows. And me. And you. And Joey."

Now that I think of it, maybe Speed was doing something Admiral wouldn't like and that's why he didn't bring Joey to us for an ear-pulling. Maybe he lacks respect for the Arrow Pack because he thinks that's what Admiral would want. I've seen little men and has-beens do that before, lose track of who isn't to be messed with because somebody's backing them.

"I'll tell Admiral about it and get this fixed up. You should let Joey know I've got his back before he does anything."

I rub my forehead. There's more. "Keep an eye on Tin-Girl, too, she took too mad. Blooded a sick guy. I need to talk to Bon, too."
  • Rainey.png
    Rainey frowns at the list of "who knows". "August'll sell you out for the right price. Watch her. I'll talk to Joey, tell him to watch out, stay safe." She glances back at Tin-Girl, who's working on her bike right now, Chance is holding part of the metal, trying to bend it back in shape. "Bon's at her place. Listen, you know her girl was at the bar with Belka and a couple of the others last night. Not sure Shy was supposed to be out that late. Bon might be pissed."
  • photo Dog3.png

"August's the one who told me. She's good." I say it real plain so it's not open to argue about, but not so loud others catch it. I don't want to hear that talk.

I step back and nod as I chew on the news about Shy out too late at the bar. Bon's got ideas for Shy, and Shy is old enough to have her own. Didn't I start with the pack at that age? I guess I'll never know. "Thanks, Rainey, I'll be careful with Bon."

I wave to Belka and Laika before turning heel to walk through the old stadium into Bon's place.
  • edited May 2015

Dog,
    Please go here.

August,

On your way up to the luxury suites where Admiral normally runs things, in the concrete corridor, you run into Buck. As you walked down the corridor with flecking paint and an underlayer of metallic smells that always fill this part of the stadium, he was standing in an area open to the central field, where people could walk past and take their seats, if this section of the stands hadn't collapsed a decade ago. Now, it's just a nice viewpoint of the dueling arena.

This is Buck:
    Buck
    He's smoking a cigarello as he watches the big purple autoduel car called Grimace. He turns when you walk near, squints, looking you up and down. "Allo, August. Thanks for coming so quick. You ready to rock worlds?"

Between you and Buck - who uses who more, August?

What do you do?

My heart beats a little faster whenever Buck is in the room.

He's done me a few solids but I have a hard time saying "no" to him, and he knows it.

I ignore the once-over, snake in real close so I can take a puff of his cigarello. Blow out a lop-sided smoke ring.

"Always ready."
  • edited May 2015
    Buck_header

Buck follows the ring as it floats lazily towards the pock-marked ceiling. Without looking at you, he says, "Good. Big day. You make it bigger, yeah?" His hand slips around to the small of your back, voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper, "Harbormaster's coming."

Why does Harbormaster hate you, August? Buck doesn't know, does he?

Harbormaster hates me because I had a miscarriage after he roughed me up too hard.

I don't say anything at first, I'm so surprised. Something in my belly constricts when I hear that name. But I don't think he noticed, because my hand is pushing past his waistband. "Oh yeah?" I say.

I glance meaningfully towards the utility closet. It's sort of bashed in, but there'd be some privacy. There's some time before Admiral needs me and I suddenly need to feel something that isn't moist terror.
  • edited May 2015
    Buck_header

A smile spreads over Buck's face, "Yeah. Most def." He gently holds your wrist as your hand creeps down. He walks with you for the closet, shoving it open, bringing you inside and closing it.

It's dark in here, smells of old rust and paint. His hands move to your body, one on your hip, the other behind your neck, pulling you in for a kiss.
  • edited May 2015

Best time to get answers from Buck is with him still inside you. But we'll get there soon enough. I'm not ready to think about that sorry byblow, that dark cully. Not yet.

I remind Buck of what I've taught his mouth to do, and take my own pleasure before I give him his. There's a thing I can do, when I'm at fever pitch, where I go from just feeling good to feeling everything, like my brain is big enough to swallow the world and I feel like know everything. Like why we're here and what's coming round the bend and what's holding us together. Tearing us apart. When to run for the hills.

When it's over, all I'm left with is a little pearl of that everything, but sometimes that's enough.

Opening Brain
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 3. Total: 8)
    (+1XP)

August
    Buck doesn't waste time, nudging you up onto a set of metal cylinders and quickly removing anything that prevents your copulation. As he nibbles and kisses the side of your neck, his strong body arching and pushing himself inside you, he hits that spot. It doesn't take long for you to reach the pinnacle, August. Then tumble over it into someplace else.

In that moment when the big O hits you, your mind is bare to the psychic maelstrom, and you feel the rain, the blood, the world bleeding down, God crying, misery, hidden hope.

You feel the place growing, Safeco… more people come here, more eyes, more shiny. You feel the weight of it around you. Like a pressure in your brain. You’re not the only one, August. There’s people out there who want to see it fall. See it rot and wither… this place and you, and Buck, and the kids, and everything you know with it.

It’s starting soon.

Buck_header
    "That..." Buck says as he pushes his sweaty brow against yours, not unlike the gesture you shared with Dog. "That was nice, August." He cups your cheek, watching you in darkness, for a long moment. Reluctantly, he pulls away, starts dressing again.

"It was," I agree absently, forgoing the chance to drink in the sight of Buck's lean lines to close my eyes and replay those images in my mind, that feeling of imminence. I shake it off. Can't do splash about it until after I deal with the next hour. With Admiral. With Harbormaster.

I collect my things. Adjust my shirt, tug my leggings back on. Try to ignore the expression on Buck's face.

The smell of rust is starting to bother me, so I open the half-broken door and look up and down the corridor to see who's around.

I fire some questions over my shoulder towards Buck: "You know anything else about Harbormaster showing up here? Why he's coming? Who he's bringing with him?"

(Skinner Special: I've hypnotized Buck as though I rolled a 10+)
  • Buck_header
    Buck follows you out of the closet, to fresher air. He's at your back, close. "Val convinced him to make the trip. Business must be getting dry at the harbor. He's bringing about a dozen of his boys and girls. You'll outshine them, o' course." He steps beside you, catches your eye, "Don't worry..." He purses his lips for a second, then bends down to confide in you, "Harbormaster better fall in line. Or Admiral has aims to end him."

What do you do?
  • edited May 2015
    I am okay with never seeing that harbor again. It could turn into a desert for all I cared.

A dozen boys and girls. Well. There was only one I'm worried about. If that twisty eunuch Gnat is there, with his pretty dead eyes, I might have to stop myself from trying to gut him.

If I look worried, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to let Buck think I'm actually concerned about being "outshined." Hardly.

Harbormaster was a bad man, but I don't want to see him dead. Beaten, perhaps. Humiliated. Brought low and groveling at my boot, begging forgiveness. Maybe. But not dead.

I loved him once.

I turn back to Buck, guide him against the corrugated wall with a gentle thud. "How's he gonna do that?" I asks, teeth tugging at his earlobe.
  • Buck_header
    Goosebumps rise on the side of Buck's neck and he touches your hip, leaving his hand there. "Not s'posed to say."His eyes close and he enjoys the sensation for a moment longer, then adds, "Don't tell anybody, but stay away from the windows. Get me?"

Bloody flood. A sniper? A flashbang?

"C'mon, Buck. You know I gotta do the dog and pony for Admiral. How am I gonna know when to steer clear of the trouble? What's the signal?"

Fingers gliding across his chest, promising more of what he likes, later.

• Buck_header
    "SeaTac's set up to take Harbormaster down." He leans in to kiss you, a brush of lips. "Speed's the caller. If he pulls his ear, Harbormaster's head explodes." Buck grins and looks at you, August. "Mum's the word, alright. Just stay safe."

He's giving you something you want.
  • edited May 2015

"Always looking out for me, aren't you Buck?" I say with a toothy grin. The one ivory is a little crooked, but everyone always says it just makes my smile all the better.

"I better get in there if I wanna show em up them two-penny Harbor girls. Wish me luck."

Now then. SeaTac can't shoot Harbormaster if Speed has no ear to tug on, can he?
  • Buck_header
    "I know you do a fine job of looking out for yourself, August," Buck says as you move away from him. "But... I like the view." He lights another cigarello and resumes his spot watching the motor duel preparation.

August,

Please head here.