[SWAW] Shadowport (29)

2»

Comments

• Amarath
    "I am taking it seriously. I never wanted to be here, I came with my clan and my lover." Amarath answers with irritation. She stops, looks to Squall, then you, visibly makes herself relax. "Yes, I can do that. I already have, it's the only interesting thing they talk about with me. The rest is... politics, and kriffing gardening. And what they'll do after. And.... kids. Karking kids, Ladro! But anyways, I know who is best at shooting - me, who is best at CQC - also me. Tactics is Sora, then Ajax, then me. And that's only if we play by the rules. If tactics means whoever walks out alive, then it's me."

I watch her steady herself, thinking she would barely have been able to do that not too long ago. "Can you teach those skills? Could you start with someone totally untrained, evaluate their natural ability, and train them to fight? With some rules, of course, but not necessarily trooper rules."
  • Squall's catching onto this, you think. Ze's leaning in, watching Amarath close.

Amarath
    Amarath seems to be getting this, too. "Do you want me to train up a hit team, Ladro? Because if you are, then I'm all over it."

I smile. The hook is set. "I'm not going to put you back on the Margin, but I want that sort of team available to me. You have today to find four others for an infiltration and hit team. Hook up with Hosk: he's already recruiting, and he can help find you a space onboard the Far Orbit to bunk and train. Make sure you have a good mix of skills. I need your team to be usable as both a scalpel and a bomb. Got it?"

I pause for an answer, then tug on the line, looking between the two of them. "Oh, and when is the wedding going to be?"
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Amarath gives a curt nod on the squad idea, "I don't need to fill the team with anyone from the three crews, right? This isn't some political poodoo, I just take the best for the team, for what I need done. Right?" On the subject of the wedding date, she looks to Squall.

"Well, we do have a tiara now." Squall says with a quirky grin. "I want to set a date that won't get in the way of our work, Captain. I need to get invites out, so, uhm, does a month work?" You catch a slight flinch from Amy, but she doesn't say anything and Squall ignores it.

"No quotas, no political poodoo. I would prefer you built a team rather than assembling one, though. If you've got one or two particular beings from the crew in mind, that's fine, but look here on the station, too. Report back to me with a list by 1900 ship's time, and if I need to take someone out from under their current superior officer, make sure they let me do the talking instead of saying anything themselves."

To Squall, "A month will be fine, Squall. I'll leave you two to talk it over. Oh, and that toast aboard the Margin, we'll do that at around 2000."
    Squall hugs you fiercely, "I love you, Captain! Amy will be a great hit team leader. She needs some danger in her life, plus, I like hot warriors."

Amarath-TROOPER
    "A month? I can do that. I mean, I'll make the team first, of course." Amarath says, her mind racing over names and faces.

Anything more with the loving couple?

Feeling somehow both crafty and wise, I say my goodbyes and leave them to it, then wander the station, see if I can come across some of those gems Darkal mentioned. I didn't ask him for specifics - it's rare that I get a chance to explore a new place.
  • Gunbarrel is a tight space for thousands of folks to call home, but there are some tiny spaces of interest. You find a hydroponic garden filled with aromatic delights. There are even a few flowers that might work as klava spices. Do you buy any?

Also, you find a small temple, not dedicated to any one faith, just a quiet space where you can view the universe on short benches, contemplate the expanse. Also, there is a small dance school, run by an aged Rodian. She reminds you a bit of Miss Geshix, running an artful place despire her surroundings.

Amarath is the first to show up for the scheduled meeting, four minutes early for your appointment. She has a cocky little smile on her face, and even salutes you first. Her salute is a little sloppy, though.

I acknowledge the salute without correcting it. "Good hunting today, Sergeant?"
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Amarath drops out of her salute into a parade rest, sort of, "Aye aye, Cap. I've got one cracking good team. A mechanic, a pilot and another heavy. I even threw in a token human, since we might need one for, you know, Inner Rim poodoo." She smirks, "He looks a little skeevy, but he'll do in a pinch."

I shake my head. "Amarath, you're here to report to your Commanding Officer, who just created a position and an entire team so you wouldn't wash out. Can you at least try to convince me that I didn't make a mistake, instead of giving me weak jokes and making me want to throttle you? Let's try this again. Tell me about the team you've put together, Sergeant. Skills, whether they're current crew, that sort of thing. Why should I be glad that I gave you this opportunity?"
  • edited August 2015
    Amarath-TROOPER
    Amarath takes a breath, lets it out slow, not upset, just trying to bring herself to focus, "Sorry, Captain, sorry. Alright, I brought on Xerda Nhagy is a Mirialan from the recruits. Good pilot, even better driver on hoverlifts, quick reflexes, too. She's young and a little naive, but she can fly anything. She's not Jojee good, but she's good and less cocky about it." She hands over a datapad with her marks. Vorpatrick wrote her a recommendation, listing her spatial relations, mental acuity and sense of duty.

She continues, " I also picked Matwe from the Troopers. He's not ex-Imperial, but he's human. We spent some time in the brig. He's lippy, but he's sharp and he hunted bounties. Check the next tab, you'll see his idents. He dropped out because things got hot when he took a Black Sun mark down." The list of bounties is impressive, all dead or alives, only two kills.

Amarath has actually done homework on them both. The next, though, is a bit of a stretch, "My heavy is a Trandoshan named Tray'Essek. He's new, just applied with Hosk, but Hosk likes him, and I met him and I like him. Strong as an ox, has a decent score, tough as nails. He knows lots of people in dark places, dropped some serious names." It's the being you met earlier.

After giving you a moment or two to read through the datafiles, she adds, "I know you said four, but those are the three I want most. The fourth is one where, uhm, I'd... like your advice. I can't decide between the droid splicer or the ex-Imperial sniper."

"If the splicer is reasonably mobile, then I'd go with the droid. Gives you more flexibility. I'm assuming you can train the pilot to shoot, and... wait, who's the mechanic?"
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Amarath's cocky grin returns, "Matwe, believe it or not. I just like talking about his bounties. And, since I'm picking up the pit droid LP-502, I can share duties between them. I kinda guessed you'd pick the droid."

I return the grin. "I like it, Amy. You've got until after the wedding to train together and integrate the team." I give her a sidelong look. "You are okay with this whole wedding thing? If I recall, you're the one that proposed."
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Her grin evaporates, "I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm scared to death of it, Ladro." Her shoulders hunch a little, a glance at the floor, then back to you, "I do love Squally. Ze's the best thing I've ever had, always in my corner. But... I'm a kark up, Ladro. All I'm good at is breaking things, killing people. I tried. I tried real hard here. But someone would give me trouble or something would be karked, and I just, I couldn't keep my head." She gives you the most pitiful look, "I want to be what Squally needs, Ladro. I don't... I don't know if I'm up for it. If I'm worth all the faith ze's given. I mean, hell, ze wants me to meet her cousin Parsi. Have you EVER imagined someone I'm with introducing me to someone in their family? On purpose? I've never spent more than a couple nights with the same person, Ladro. Ever. And, uhm, I've already cheated on zir three times."

I fix her "real" eye with mine for a few seconds before I respond. "Really, the only thing that has to matter in all of that is one sentence. 'I do love Squally.' You're not an idiot. I know you have impulse control problems, and I've given you something that should help with that. You have spent every night but three with Squall for the last how many months? Just stop." I take a few seconds, stem the tide of words. "I don't care how kriffed your past is, or how broken you think you are. We wouldn't be having this conversation if you hadn't proved I could trust you with my life. Just admit I can trust you with my friend and get on with it. Okay?"
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Amarath chews on the inside of her cheek as you tell her about your faith in her. She exhales, nodding, "Okay. And Matwe's gay. Xerda isn't. My team is going to tear things apart real good, but I'm going to be good." She nods again, then steps forward quickly and throws her arms around you in a fierce hug. After a squeeze, she talks into you ear, like maybe she doesn't want to look you in the eye when she says, "Ladro, I cannot count how many times you've given me my life back. I want to do this right, for you and for Squally. If there's anything I can do for you, you name it. I'd even have your kriffing babies so your mama would stop hounding you about it." The last bit doesn't sound like a joke, either. She's thought about it, you can tell it in her tone.

"I love you, Amy, but you're wrong. I haven't given your life back, I've just given you chances to take it back. Just keep hold of it, okay?" After a squeeze back, I pull back to look her in the face again. "And I think I'll skip the babies, but thanks for the offer. Mama's scary, but do you think she's really as scary as Ahji Dar?"
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    "Yes." Amarath answers with full sincerity.

I nod. "You're probably right. But, mama doesn't have a ship with those guns on it, and I don't think she's leaving Kiffu anytime soon. I'll take my chances." I think about that. "Wait. Neither of you invited my parents to the wedding, did you?"
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Her mouth quirks a little, is it a smile? "Uhm... yes, I did. And your sister, too. And my second cousin Jadza."

I In my mind, I pretend she's kidding, even if I know she's not. "Well, that'll be lovely then, won't it?" I give Amarath a weak smile. "How is Jadza?" I start us walking toward the Margin for our last toast.
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    She walks beside you, answering politely, "Boring and sweet, as always. She's a botanist, works in the Great Grove now. She doesn't even brag about it." She squeezes your arm, "Squally made me. Mostly. And your Baba and Farla are beyond thrilled to see you."

So many things. Mama seeing Ahji Dar and I after the ceremony, Ahji in that wonderful dress. That's one. But Baba and Farla are two that outweigh it. We'll live.

"It will be good to see them all."
  • You both head into the Profit Margin, which is in excellent shape, as clean as the first day you saw her. In a few minutes, Squall arrives, followed by Jojee. Hosk comes last, he's still in uniform, but he has a bag, asks if he needs to change. In the bag are three bottles of very expensive wine and glasses for everyone.

Other than the wine, did you make any other preparations?

Earlier, I moved the portrait of us into the mess here, and I laid in some food as well. Just the basics, nothing fancy. Snacks that hit everybody's palate right, really, nothing else.

"Hosk, however you're comfortable. If you want to stay in uniform, you're welcome to."
  • Hosk leaves his uni on, and pulls out the bottles and glasses. Jojee is the first to grab for a bottle and open it, pouring glasses for everyone. Amarath is reserved, while Squall is already glassy-eyed, telling stories about most everything ze can remember.
  • edited August 2015

I take a glass and raise it, waiting until all four pairs of eyes are on me. "I'm not going to toast to the Profit Margin, not yet. In the end, she's just a collection of metal and plastic and wire. I'm going to toast to the four souls I learned to think of as my crew aboard her, and that I will always think of as my crew, no matter how many I serve with. We, all five of us, have our faults, but we wouldn't have found each other, wouldn't have needed each other, without them. So, here's to the finest crew that will ever serve aboard the Profit Margin, as much of a pain in the shebs as we all are." I gesture, then drink.
  • Your four allies, your first crew, raise their glasses, toast with you. Hosk gives a "Hear, hear!" and Jojee smiles, then turns up her glass.

Squall takes a sip, commenting, "This is some great stuff, Hosk!" Amarath drinks her, but she's lost in thought, working through the permutations of her new team, standing close to Squall.

After a taste, I raise an eyebrow. Hosk really went all out. "Thanks for the wine, Hosk. It's delicious." It seems we're not going to get much nostalgia from Amarath tonight, but I wouldn't have expected it, regardless.
    Hosk answers more in his glass than "to" anyone, "It's worth it, you people are, ah, real special." He takes a drink, savoring it, then adds, "Besides, what else can an old warhorse spend his credits on besides a good bottle of bubbly?"

Jojee
    Pouring her second glass, Jojee snorts, "Bubbly sounds hilarious when you say it, Hosk."

Squall cuts in with, "GRUMPYBOOTS! That sounds even funnier!"

Amarath-TROOPER
    "It's a good wine, Hosk. You always do right by us.." She raises her nearly empty glass and in a sudden bout of seriousness, says, "To Hosk, the best First Mate the Margin will ever see." They all raise glasses, and Squall clinks zirs against each of yours. Even Hosk chuckles and raises his.

Jojee
    Jojee drains hers, which gets a look from Hosk, which Jojee says defensively, "If you don't drain the glass, the toast is weaker. It's a Keshiri thing."

With a shake of zir head, Squall comments, "You are the worst liar, Jo." Ze taps zir implant as if to say ze checked. Jojee shrugs. Squall looks to you, "I spoke with Darkal and he said he bought a dress for somebody special!" Amy and Jojee look up with interest, even Hosk seems mildly intrigued. "For Ahji Dar? For the, uhm, the wedding?"

I wink. "Actually, it's for me. I thought it would be best if I officiated in something a little... slinky."
  • Jojee busts out laughing, followed by Squall and Amarath. Hosk's eyes widen a bit before he registers the laughter, then joins in. It's a good moment, Ladro. You feel it.

Amarath walks over to the picture of the crew. Squall joins her. Jojee ambles over to the snacks area, while Hosk just soaks it in.

Amarath-TROOPER
    "It feels like more than goodbye for the ship, you know?" Amarath says suddenly. Squall whimpers and slips into Amy's arm. "It was a good run. Best months of my whole life were here. With you all."

"Amy, it's going to be fine. Better, even. We're still on the same team." Ze kisses Amy's neck, "And we'll be married soon. That's the best." Amy nods, not fighting or flinching.

I shake my head. "I think I might have to agree with Amy on this. We're never going to have as much freedom as we did, even tugged by debt and that sister-kriffer Sark. We're never going to be that same tight unit again, even as much as we fussed and argued and yelled. I hate to be morose, but something really did end when I agreed to Lens's offer to take over the Far Orbit, and I didn't consult you. Gave you a choice: stay or go. But not a chance to suggest some alternative. I'm certain I did the right thing for myself, but I'm not sure I did the right thing for us."

I look down, then back up. "Well, that was really depressing. Sorry. Someone tell a fun story."
    Hosk harrumphs, "I couldn't have stayed here, Lad. I needed to join the Rebs, needed to avenge my family. I'm glad we are where we are now."

Jojee
    Jojee pours the last bits of the bottle into her glass, then raises it, "Excuse me? Lieutenant Terkenn'n here. I'm an X-Wing pilot now, thanks."

Squall leans into Amy, but turns slightly, I get what the captain means. Us. There's not much us left, because we've got our separate ways. It's all... past now." Ze swallows, sniffs once, which seems to hit Jojee because she blinks hard, looks away, drains her third glass. Amy hugs Squall tight.

I relax back into my chair, then grab my magically-refilled glass once more. "Here's the thing. I miss the past, and always will. Like I said, you four are my crew, and on the day I die, that will still be true. There's a future ahead, though. Jo is finding a home in her squadron. Amy will build the best darned team of troublemakers since the legendary crew of the Profit Margin won the Galactic title. Squally is in charge of more engines and valves and hydrospanners than ze can count. Hosk gets to wear a uniform with a crease in the pants leg and make sure things run the way they're meant to." I raise my glass again. "The past is set, but we make the future. Here's to us."
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Amarath was tracking you, while the others were nodding and enjoying the praise. She peers at you, "You're the captain of a frigate now, Ladro. Got your lady love, and a crew a hundred times bigger than before. You wanted to punch the Empire in the nose... well, this is a helluva fist to do it with."

I touch Amy's shoulder. "Yes, it is. A helluva fist. So, are we reminiscing here? Someone make me laugh, or I'll just keep telling the stories you've already heard."
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Amarath looks to Squall, "Now a good time?." Squall snickers and nods enthusiastically. Amarath steps away from her mate and faces all of you, arms spread. "Hosk, you weren't there for one of my favorite memories of the crew. Lucky for me, I have a... photographic memory." She holds up a data-crystal, showing it off like some magician before a trick, then walks over to the holoprojector and puts it in.

You see the brilliant blue sky of Kiffu. Unmistakable. The camera moves, and you see the crew. And the Profit Margin, which is sitting on the edge of "The Cliff". There's no audio, just video, but you quickly realize this was recorded by Amy's cybernetic eye. Amarath explains, "I can only record brief periods, and I can only hold one video at a time, but this one... was pretty special."

You see yourself, Squall and Jojee stripping down. Amarath runs off the edge and falls. The movement of everyone, happy faces, screams. Squall kissing "you", zir eyes alight with passion and excitement.

Then the water. A long look at a nude Jojee rising from the waves, which gets a nervous chuckle from Hosk, a giggle from Squall and a raised eyebrow from Jojee. Squall kissing "you", then lays you down on the beach, and well, Amarath skips the video forward for a bit, making a joke about "Nobody else wants to see this, I'm sure." to which Hosk readily agrees. There's laughter as you see Jojee and you, Ladro, kissing, passionately, and a nimble nude Squally running past "you".

It cuts off as "you" are heading up the lift. Squall's beside zirself, and Jojee's laughing and drinking another glass. Hosk shakes his head, but he chuckles a bit. Amarath takes a deep bow.

I laugh along. "Amy, do you want to tell them the best part, or should I?" Without really waiting, I jump in. "We told them the ancient Kiffar tradition was that you had to make the cliff jump naked. Complete poodoo. Just a ploy to get everyone in the buff for ogling purposes."
  • That gets everyone laughing, especially Hosk, who mumbles something like "I knew it!" and Squall commenting ze didn't need ancient Kiffar traditions. Amarath fetches the data-crystal and puts it in her special belt pouch.

Hosk opens another bottle of wine, announcing it is the last one, and pours himself a drink. Jojee moves over to offer her glass for a refill. Amy and Squall sneak off, after Squall mentions a bathroom break.

What do you do?

I suppose Amarath and Squall "sneaking off" is part of the legacy of the Margin, as well. I look to Jojee and Hosk. "Well... Hosk, do you have anything to offer?"
    "I did bring the wine." Hosk says in a flat tone. The corner of his mouth quirks in a lopsided smile and he continues, "Did you know that Jojee here hid snacks on the ship?" He walks over to a wall, pulling out a small screwdriver and moving to remove a panel. Jojee covers her mouth with a hand, embarrassed as Hosk pulls out a plastic-wrapped snacky cake with little frosting. He holds it up and waggles it her way.

Jojee
    "I... sort of hate you right now."

"Jojee, did you break the carb-covenant that Hosk enacted as First Mate? Shame..." I stop for a second, confused. "Why isn't anyone telling embarrassing Ladro stories? There are plenty?" I'm sure Amarath had other angles, or Jo could've jumped in, and Hosk has certainly seen me at my worst.
    Hosk holds up the cake, then tosses it to Jojee, "We could, of course. But I wanted to remind everyone of Jojee's war cry, from that night with Jazz and a bottle of Nabooan brandy. What was it, Jo?" He pauses dramatically, then drops into an awful falsetto impression of Jojee, "Wrong hole! Wrong hole, you nerf-herder!"

Jojee
    "I have a blaster right now." Jojee warns, her face still frowning as she tears open the snacky cake and takes a big bite. Hosk chuckles like mad, then turns around to do this weird "my butt hurts" dance. Jojee snorts a laugh, some powdered sugar sprays from her mouth and she wipes it with the back of her hand, washing it down with her wine.

I'm afraid some wine winds up leaving through my nose at that. "Ha. Hey, speaking of holes, Hosk, do you still keep in touch with that hottie from Raxus Prime?"
  • edited August 2015
    From down the hall, you hear Squally moaning, then calling out dramatically, "Yes. Yes! YES!!!"

Hosk huffs a breath, shrugs, "Not really, Lad. We sent a few messages, they got less and less frequent. She's a great girl. I'll have to look her up again sometime."

Jojee
    Jojee gulps down another bite of the frosted cake, white sugar on her bottom lip, "Aww, she moved on? That's a bummer, Hosk.." She takes a sip of her drink, "No, really. If you like her, go for it. Me? I'm married to my cock...pit. hehehehe."

Well, this is going sideways, but in a good way.

I call out in a mock-stern voice. "Squall, Amy, make sure you clean up after yourselves!" Then I share a grin with Jo and Hosk. "It feels good to just relax."
  • Echoing down the hall, "I'm leaving Darkal a little present, Ladro!" Squall giggles again.

Jojee
    Jojee makes a little irritated noise, "This is a little gross. I don't mind them together, but I didn't sign up for a sex party." She looks towards the hall, "WRAP IT UP, YOU TWO!"

Amarath yells back, "Alright, alright, Jo! Gimmie a minute here, okay?"

Hosk shakes his head, "Won't miss that."

Jojee
    "You're such an awful liar."

I grin at the teasing. Have to say that I agree with Jojee's earlier point, though. "Enough back there! We came here so the five of us could spend some time together as a group. Don't make me turn this pleasure-ship around!"
  • Hosk chuckles, ambles over to grab some snacks, piling wafer-crackers on a plate. Jojee munches down the last of her snacky cake. After a minute, Amarath comes walking back out, a big grin on her face. Squall comes out behind her, and Squally's wear a sleek-looking dress, like this:

Squall grins, "Sorry, Captain. Sorry, Jojee. We just wanted to, you know, relive a little something." Jojee crosses her arms, then heads over to pour some more wine.

Amarath-TROOPER
    "That wasn't but six minutes, you guys. It was kind of a record." Amarath brags. She looks at you, Ladro, asks, "Hey, Ladro. We should take her out, one last time. Just for fun." Hosk arches a brow, some crackers stuffed into his mouth, keeping him silent.

What do you do?

The pilot's been drinking even more than the rest of us. We're at a shadowport, surrounded by ne'er-do-wells and pirates. What's the worst that could happen? I comm Darkal, letting him know we're taking "his" baby out for a spin, then make arrangements with the Far Orbit and station control. "Let's do it. Just out and back, though. Long enough for me to push the red button one last time."
  • Jojee
    "Just out and back, Cap. No problem." Jojee says as she walks deliberately towards the cockpit. Hosk's brows furrow, but he says nothing.

Squall heads for the engine room, "I'll get her fired up, Jojee!" Amarath follows, because she wouldn't be needed on guns.

After they all head off, there's a moment where it's just you and Hosk.

Hosk finishes his crackers and swallows, "I've noticed a distinct lack of hugging. Well, except for those two."
  • edited August 2015

I chuckle and pat Hosk on the shoulder. "There will be hugging, old friend. Later. If we survive. You want to join us in the cockpit? " I do need to be there, in the Captain's chair, to press the button. Of course.
    Walking with you, he answers, "Sure. I'll enjoy watching Jojee ding up the Margin before we hand it over. I'll never let her live it down."
  • edited August 2015
    You enter the cockpit, taking your captain's chair as Hosk stays near the entrance. Jojee is already locked in, her hands on the stick. She starts easing the Margin up and reverse thrusting out of the hangar. Hosk calls in to Boom control to make sure they know, and has to drop your name for the trip, which shuts down their bellyaching.

Then, you're out in space, the Far Orbit and Gunbarrel behind you. Squall calls up to let you know ze has plugged in a local system's astrogation coordinates, and Jojee looks over at you with lazy eyes and a lopsided grin, then looks to the red button.

What do you do?

With a look over to Jojee and a sidelong grin, I push the shiny red button for probably the last time.
  • The Profit Margin slides into hyperspace with a grace you've missed, Ladro. Jojee pilots her through the slipstream and in only a few moments, the ride is over, you've bounced out and back, and now she's bringing her into port again at Gunbarrel.

Anything else for this "going away" party?

I say a few last quick words. "This all happened pretty fast. I would've gotten gifts for you all, but time, you know? I do have one last order for you as the nominal owner and captain of the Profit Margin, though. Amarath, Jojee, Squall... Hosk needs a hug."
  • Your crew, your old crew, crowd around Hosk and laughingly hug him as he complains loudly. You notice he doesn't move away from it, and when Amarath pulls back, he's smiling, there might be a bit of wetness in the fur beneath his eyes. They all, even Hosk, hug you as well, and Squall kisses your cheek. Jojee grabs your space heinie, too, for good measure.

Everyone heads off the Margin and back to their lives now. Squall is sniffly, Jojee is headed to the bar to soak her troubles, while Hosk is headed back to work. Amarath? She's hanging around with Squall, but told you she's eager to know when she can gather her team.

Anything else left at Gunbarrel? The Far Orbit will be ready to go tomorrow, and then Ahji Dar leaves.

I'm carrying the portrait, intending to drop it off back in my quarters. "Amy, I'll get the orders out for your team to report to you tomorrow. What time shall I say?"
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    "Oh eight hundred standard. I'm going to run down some drills, rap with them about small unit tactics, and assess how we work together." She answers crisply, knowing this is exactly what you want to hear.

I smile. "Get to know them, Master Sergeant. Give me written reports as you have something to say, and we'll meet weekly for a while, just to stay on top of things. You're going to nail this, I know it."
  • Amarath-TROOPER
    Amarath gives a head nod of agreement. "You're going to enjoy having a hit team like mine, Ladro. We will get the job done, and I'll send you whatever love letters you want on what and how."

I return the nod. "Have a good night, all." I walk back to my quarters, feeling bittersweet, and replace the portrait on the wall. After about twenty minutes to send out the orders assigning Amy's team, I make my way to the Woenid Nexus for one last night with Ahji Dar before she takes off a-hunting.
  • You wake in the morning to sound and smell. The sound of Ahji Dar lightly humming a tune from your youth, a sing-song Kiffar children enjoy that lilts and bounces happily. What's the monster defeated in the song, Ladro? The smell is the rich aroma of a very delicate blend of klava spices that your lover has brewed. When you open your eyes, you see her in that light robe she adores, bringing you a tray of breakfast and klava, to serve you in bed.

ahji_dar_headshot2
    "I thought you would be leaving with me, my Tom." She says with a soft smile. "Did you sleep well?" She slides onto the bed, placing the tray on its stand over your lap.

I awaken with images of the comically exaggerated and surely mythical Sith warrior in my head, defeated by a young girl with only sticks and stones, pluck and native cleverness. "Far better than I have in weeks, my love. And there is no way I would rather awaken. The klava smells delightful. Did you do something different?" I lean toward her to accept a kiss before looking down at the tray. What a miracle, being served breakfast in bed by the Knife of the Gordian Way.
  • ahji_dar_headshot2
    "Yes, Ladro my love, I did." Ahji Dar says as she slips under the covers beside you. "I mixed in a blend of catabar with some marcan herbs." She picks up her own mug and looks to you, "I won't teach you this recipe. I want you to crave it until I return."

I take a sip and raise an eyebrow as I feel the slight hint of buzz from the marcan herbs. "This is lovely, but it's the least of what I'll crave until you return, lyubovnik. You will keep yourself safe, and find us in a month for the wedding, yes?"
  • ahji_dar_headshot2
    Ahji Dar seems delighted by your reaction to the brew. She slips under your arm and gently nuzzles against the nape your neck, watching you speak. She answers, "Of course I will make it to the wedding. I want to see you officiate it, and bask in the glow of their union. It will be wonderful, and I'm very happy for them both. Do you know what they might want or need that I could search for on my travels?"

The thought of a "couple present" for Squall and Amarath is a little mind-breaking. I mean, they're a couple and I approve of the marriage, but it still feels... odd? "Honestly, I have no idea. I got the tiara for Squall to wear, but... I hadn't even really thought about a gift for the wedding. If you do find something, can it be from the two of us?" I give her a quick kiss and a hopeful smile.
  • ahji_dar_headshot2
    Ahji Dar grins like she just ate a canary. "Yes, my Tom. Of course it can be from us both. I look forward to your gratitude." She leans in to rub her nose on yours, then kisses the tip of your nose, musses your hair, "Finish your breakfast, my love. Your frigate awaits you, and then we must part, for now."

I tuck in to breakfast, enjoying the savory pastries and klava and the last few minutes with my paradoxical lover. The time for grand-scale displays is over, so when I finish, I make a quick trip to the refresher alone, get dressed, and give her a soft, lingering kiss. "I love you, Ahji Dar. Come back to me."
  • ahji_dar_headshot2
    Ahji Dar dresses as well, walks with you towards the door. returns the kiss, "Always and always." She sees you out, and watches you the whole time the ramp of the Woenid Nexus rises. In a few minutes, the ship's engines are firing up, and your kitten is leaving.

What do you do once she is gone?

I certainly don't mope or spend time wallowing in adolescent feelings of alienation and loneliness. I head to my ready room, ping the command staff, and come up with a plan to take advantage of this so-called privateer's distractions.
  • Alright, Ladro, let's try something new here. Your Heat clock is at 9:00. When the Heat clock hits 11:00, the gig is up, and you're going to need to make a run for the Rebel flotilla or the far reaches to avoid the Imperials.

When you take the Far Orbit hunting for freighters ripe for taking, advance your Heat clock by 1 and roll+Canny. On a hit, choose options. On a 7-9, choose two. On a 10+, choose three.
    - your prey doesn't run / fight back (ship loses more fuel / resources or armor / weapons)
    - your crew works together and doesn't argue over the take
    - the haul is better than you expected

• Rolling + Canny

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 2. Total: 10)
  • Cmdr_Seki_header
    "That little YT-2000 was well-stocked, Captain." Commander Seki reports as he reviews the datapad of the ship's manifest before handing it over to you. The take is 1 Cred for you, one share to the crew.

Over comms, Squall jumps in, "That ship has a Corellian Evader-GT Ion Drive, Captain! That's fifty thousand credits alone! The company fronting this freighter has creds to burn! I'm double-checking for bugs right now."

"That sounds great, Squall. Let me know what you find." I turn to Seki. "Who was the owner of this little darling again?"
    Squall responds crisply, "It's registered to a Corellian named Tiaba Danigo. Looks like it's well funded, and insured."

I'll set someone on researching whose shebs we just spanked later, but for the moment it's time to figure out how to hit the so-called Rebel pirate before he can do more damage. I still have the impression that it's a trap, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have to be sprung and dealt with.
  • --End Scene--