[Junk XIII] Early Morning Ride (K 4-9)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Kiddo,

You drag-ass out of bed and VB slept in. She didn't get up at the crack-ass of dawn to run, she still has "the leg" on. You rouse her, and she gets some ginger out of her traveling pack for you. Morning is quiet, the Candies all slept in various places: several shared a room together, some spent the night with some Salt villagers, others slept on the floor of Ollie's after passing out. It took an hour to round up all the North Candies, which was probably good since you were pretty sick this morning. Hump brought you some of Jemma's warm tea and saved your ass.

Jemma brought her "Fatboy" out of retirement for this ride:
Jemma bike
VB wants to keep riding with you. Hump rides with Jemma, but man, you know he'd rather be in Metro's van. How did that work out?

You've been riding north all day and just passed the scuttled pick-up truck, flipped on its side, riddled with bullet holes where you see candy bar wrappers nailed into the tires. The North Candies whoop and point, Mamba fires a couple shots in the air. It adds a little excitement to the air. But everyone's getting tired. Tired riders are dangerous. You can push on to Trench and stay inside the Outer Rim for the night, or pull over and make camp here.

What do you do?

Comments

• Vee riding with me meant that we had to go a little slower... She was pretty drunk last night. I know the girls are tired – heck, even I am – but it just ain't safe out here at night. If we can make it out to Trench, then at least we'd be a little safer.

I'll try and push on.
  • edited November 2013
    Kiddo,

Give me an Act under Fire to avoid any mishaps as you pull into Trench for the night.
  • OOC: Acting under fire to get to Trench safely. Roll+cool.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 1. Total: 6)
  • OOC: Since Vee's riding with me, I'd probably be trying to ride a little more conservatively and attentively than usual... Roll+Hx with Vee (currently +1).
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 4. Total: 7)
  • edited November 2013
    You come in late late, but after paying the toll and entering Outer Rim, the North Candies get a second wind and head to Chedd's Party Tent. Did you call it an early night, or join them?

Regardless, the next morning is a no-go. The North Candies, even Svenja, are waaay too wasted to ride. You're going to have to let them sleep it off. You're stuck in Trench. Where do they crash?

What do you do?
  • edited November 2013
    I was way too tired last night — just frakking worn out — so I dragged Vee to bed. I probably should have stayed up and controlled the drink-flow last night, considering by the time I finally get out of bed — and, y'know, stop puking again — I'm more than a little pissed off to find the Candies never frakking left Chedd's. Hell, Star's still frakking drinking at the bar for frak's sake!

I rented out that tent Kodak got last time, and piled everyone in to sleep it off. Drinking tonight will be off frakking limits, I guarantee you that.
  • edited November 2013
    Trojan comes along in the afternoon. Where did he find you? "Kiddo! Hey, babe, you're running with the Northies? That's great. Great bunch of ladies there."

With most of the North Candies still sleeping it off, VB's with you, right? Or did you send her off for something?
  • I was tuning up my bike to keep busy. Ma' was always checking the tire pressure, oil, and bolts on her bike. I'm not Ma', but I know enough to keep the bike clean, and make sure everything's in good working order.

This was after I spent the morning doing a full clean of my guns, clipping my fingernails, eating some Zoodles — which I've been craving lately, for some reason — and getting Vee to teach me some new ways to put my my hair up... If things keep going the way they are, I may take a shower, and get Vee to cut my hair later.

Yup, it's one of those days.

I'm on my back, swabbing down the undercarriage of my bike when Trojan comes along. "Hey sweetie! I'm helping 'em out, yeah... How you been? Keeping busy?"
  • edited November 2013
    Did you keep Jemma out of your hair? You know she'd have recommendations on upkeep of your ride, so that was unavoidable, but you ditched her when the girlie stuff happened, right?

Trojan answers, "Yeah, doin stuff, stayin busy, yeah. Man... I tell you what. Little Medley, whatever happened with y'all, she's my number one customer now. Crazy."
  • I tried to keep her away for the girly stuff, but I didn't mind so much having her around for bike upkeep... I've still got shit to learn, and Gramma knows lots of stuff about bikes. Gramma just knows lots of stuff in general...

Anyway, I slide out from under my bike, and sit up. "Really? Innocent li'l Medley? ... Well, li'l Medley I guess... Did she say what she's using it for?"
  • edited November 2013
    "Same as anyone else on glass, babe," Trojan says while he's looking down your shirt, "Getting blitzed out of her skull. Her dad is furious, of course. Which is half the fun."
  • I shake my head, "that woman's just in it to get a rise out of her Dad... Speaking of the old asshole, where is he? I didn't see him at the gate."
  • edited November 2013
    Trojan looks up at the sky for a second, then back at you, he's always looking around, you know, "Aw man, Ivory? He's in and out of the city now. His dad's sick, like real bad sick. Deathbed an all that." He pauses, like he's thinking about it, scratches his scraggly chin, "Heh, maybe that's why Medley's gettin glassed, too?"
  • ... Shit...

"That's too bad," I murmur, looking off into the city... "he's a decent man, in spite of his bigot son. I don't suppose you're set to see Medley before tomorrow, yeah? Tell her I'm rooting for her grandad if you do."
  • edited November 2013
    "She'll be around this afternoon." Trojan says, "If I had a watch, I'd set it by her. Steady jingle, you know. I'd hate to be her husband. Poor sucker."

Trojan purses his lips like he's thinkin, but its all practiced, like he wants you to think its natural, but you have a read on the guy, "Kiddo, weren't you tryin real hard to get in Trench before? You still need in? Cause if I grease the right palms, with Ivory gone, I bet I could slip you in."

What do you do?
  • edited November 2013
    I shrug, and keep my eyes on the city. "There ain't much of a point to it now sweetie. Unless you've seen Rinso up in there, I'd just as soon not."

I look over to him, "you that desperate for cash now, that you're smuggling folks in there?" Actually, why is Trojan here? I give him a dubious look, and brush some dirt off my back, "not that I mind the company, or conversation, Trojan, but did you want something?"
  • edited November 2013
    He looks up, "Me? Naw, I don't want anything, Kiddo. I'm good, you know me. Even keel and drek." He looks around, sighs, looks back at you, but not making eye contact, "It's just... business is better than ever. Cause I figured it out. I have to be a shark, gotta prey on folks like Medley. It was slow when I just slung for parties, you know? Friends of friends. But now.... they beat down my door."

He hunches down, squats to cut the distance between you, instead of him standing up towering over you, he's almost sitting, but towering over you. The guy's all torso. "It wears on your soul, Kiddo," he says quiet. "Seeing it change. The people who buy, my... customers. Watching them chip away."
  • I don't think I've ever seen Trojan so ... Serious. That was down-right wise, if not for the fact that I'm sure he's gunna keep doing it...

I look up at him, wiping my oily hands on a rag, "then why keep doing it sweetie? I ain't gunna pretend every single one of your "customers" are saints, but some of 'em must be friends... There's gotta be a better way to make a living, yeah? Do you owe jingle to someone or something?"
  • edited November 2013
    Trojan gives you a wry grin, "I owe jingle to my belly. I don't have any honest work to be doing around here. Sling, beg or beat heads, all there is in the Outer Rim. Got enough piled to maybe break out. But then... then what?"

He looks at you curiously, "You been out in the wide world. What's out there?"
  • The man might as well be asking me what isn't in Trench... I lean back on my hands, and sigh loudly — just overwhelmed with answers... "Have you ever left this place, sweetie? Frak... Boomtown during Reunion is like the whole frakking town is one big family, the festival of lights in Bubble City at year's end is just overwhelmingly beautiful, the land to the east of Boomtown is just rolling hill after rolling hill, and Oasis has waters as blue as the sky on a bright summer day."

I grab my bottle of water and take a drink, wiping my brow with my forearm, "Let alone the junkships, the culture, the food, the people... Frak Tro, you could find love out there, and start a family, or find your true calling. Heck, maybe just seeing it all is your calling — but you sure as shit ain't gunna find it living among the dregs begging to get into that stagnant prude-farm up in there." I point over to Trench — the city proper, "I ain't sure there's much worth seein' in there except exclusion, yeah?"
  • edited November 2013
    Trojan huffs a laugh at that, "Heh, yeah, Trench is all I know, you got me pegged. Inside Trench is pretty damn sweet, but still... a whole lotta drek when you're stuck outside waitin. And a whole lotta citizen assholes to share it with." He licks his lips, like there's something he can almost taste, somethign he wants to say but is worried about how. "Where, uh... where you goin, Kiddo?" He looks at you all serious, "Got any room? I can pay."
  • OOC: Reading Trojan. Roll+Sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 13)
  • edited November 2013
    I pause and consider that for a second... I'm not sure the Ascendant is really a good way to get started on life. "There's plenty of shit that sucks ass about the world out there sweetie, but if you're looking to get out, we could pick you up on our way down south... I've got some family business to take care of up North at the Ascendant."

I narrow my eyes, "are you in a rush to bolt?"

OOC: hold 1/3, What is Trojan really feeling?
  • edited November 2013
    "The Ascendant? Frak, Kiddo... you don't wanna go there. For real, that place is evil," Trojan says with complete seriousness.

Until you dropped the bomb about the Ascendant, he was feeling worn down by this place, by the people. You had him hopeful for something new. Now, now he thinks he'll never see you again.
  • Yeah, no shit. I give him a tired look, like it's a story I've heard before... "I know about Branigans, sweetie... My parents are there... They needed to go there. My dad was sick, and Medley's grandad sent them there."

I look at him desperately, "what have you heard? Other than the usual bullshit?"
  • edited November 2013
    Trojan blows out a breath, then rocks back to sit on his ass beside you, "Ascendant's been quiet for a few Junkfalls now, but that's because Armour and Trench pay tribute. Before that, I had these guys from Armour come rolling through, heading south, just trying to get the frak out, you know? And we were partying a bit, and they got high as the sky and started talking."

He shifts a little, like this is not a good story, like he feels icky even telling it, "So this guy, Mello Yello, he says that he saw these folks, folks he knew, they come runnin across the scrub to Armour, screamin like they been screamin for the whole trip from the Ascendant. And you know what they're sayin, Kiddo? Over and over, they're begging 'Shoot me! Shoot me!' And they don't even stop, not after they get shot in the leg or whatever. They just crawl and keep begging for it, to be shot to death."

Trojan looks away for the last bit, just running his fingers in the dirt, "And Mello Yello, he tells me he was part of the clean-up crew. You know, to keep the plaguedogs away. And the corpse he drug off for burning, it was smiling. Died smiling like some fool. Just... spooky."
  • That's frakking terrifying... "You know anyone who ever left the Ascendant? Trojan, I've gotta get my folks out of there..."
  • edited November 2013
    "Well, Spanx got off her ass to ride up there with some of the guard. I heard she met up with Touch o Gold from Armour, and they both went up together." Trojan answers your question like he's doubtful you'll be able to do much of anything about it.
  • Great. A crazy hard holder, a gang of crazy zealots, and a hotel owner walk into a brain frakker's den... This sounds like a horrible joke. I also don't like that they wound up paying tribute to him.

"Why don't you come with me up to Armour, sweetie? Worse comes to worst, you end up chilling with our doc Stitch and Metro for a bit."

• edited November 2013
    Trojan nods, thankfully. He reaches over to put a hand on your shoulder, just a friendly gesture. After a moment, he grins, "So Kiddo... any rules about fraternizing with your, ah, your girls? And any I should stay away from?" He gives you a sly wink.
  • He does know about the Candies, yeah? He's not just playing dumb? "Have you ever heard of skins night, sweetie? Where a bunch of Candies will get together and hit up a bar topless... Then beat the shit out of the first guy to oggle them? ... I mean, you can hit on 'em all you want... Spree – formerly Omo – is kind of the defacto leader. I dunno how she feels about guys other than she had a couple kids who don't have a dad."
  • edited November 2013
    Trojan gawks, "Skins night? Holy frak, that's... I would be so dead." He chuckles, claps you on the back once, then rises up. "Ima travel with y'all then. That sounds great, Kiddo. Really appreciate it. You all need any supplies? I gotta unload my glass on Chedd or whoever, so I might as well get drek y'all need.... or well, I guess 'we' need."

That weight he was carrying, the tension around his eyes, it seems to be going away, Kiddo.
  • I shake my head when he laughs it off, amused at his persistence... His funeral I guess. "Hey sweetie — no drugs with us, yeah? Some of the girls smoke weed, and drink, but none of the hard stuff, yeah? I want the girls in top shape."
  • edited November 2013
    Trojan smirks and shakes his head, "I know, Kiddo. Like I said, Ima offload my glass, at a painful discount, on some folk here in Trench. I wanna pay my way with y'all, so let me know what supplies ya need and I'll pick it up." He offers you a hand up.
  • OOC: Hold 2/3, Is he telling the truth?
  • edited November 2013
    He totally is. Okay, he totally mostly is. He's trying to offer an olive branch, plus he figures if he's paid for passage, he'll have some leverage. And yes, well, he's going to trade for some weed now since you mentioned the girls like it. But the hard stuff, he's going to get rid of all of it. Okay.. almost all of it. Just save back a tiny bit, a sort of insurance policy in case he gets stuck in the middle of Armour or Salt or something and has to sling to get back on his feet. But he would only deal glass to the Candies to save his ass. Or for, you know, a hot threeway. For serious.

I mean, he's not stupid.
  • Well... I suppose I did ask... "Sweetie... No dealing when we're on the road. It's fine when we're shacked up in a town, but not on the road. And no hard stuff to the Candies — ever. Got it?"

OOC: How can I make sure he follows those rules to a T?
  • edited November 2013
    Trojan nods, "Right, right, I got you, Kiddo. No good some girl fallin off her bike all effed up on somethin. I promise no dealin on the road. And nothin harder than weed while we travel." He puts his fist to his heart, the Trench symbol for a promise.

If you want to make sure he follows the rules, you shouldn't threaten him. He sees that as a mental challenge, plus its like you're telling him you don't trust him. Which, even he's admit is logical, seeing his track record.

But if you tell him you trust him, if you show him that you know he will follow the rules as part of the team... he would fight real hard not to ruin that. He doesn't have anyone who actually has faith in him to do much of anything. Remember his parents? You're the closest he's ever had to that. Which is, of course, why he approached you today.
  • edited November 2013
    I bite my lip dubiously a second, and look him up and down a few times — then I nod, "Good. Well, we always need water, food, and gas. We're heading out bright and early tomorrow morning' so make sure you've said your goodbyes, yeah?"
  • edited November 2013
    His smirk grows into a smile and he pulls you into a little hug. "I got it, Kiddo. Bright and early. Ima go get workin on all this. Oh, I've never been on a bike before, so uhm, there's that. See ya!"

He heads out, leaving you with your bike. You see VB isn't far away, she was letting you two talk. She's got a bag of Zoodles with her. She comes up, "What was that about? Never seen Trojan look that excited. Or, you know, awake during the day."
  • Oh boy... He's squeezing me pretty hard... Deep breaths... I smile when he pulls back and nod, "don't worry, there's lots of space in Metro's van if you can't handle a bike." Then I let him go, and giggle at Vee's remark. "He wants to come with us, and "see the world"... I figure we can give him a lift down south on the way back. See how he works out."

Then I spot the Zoodles, and my mouth waters a little bit. I look up at Vee with an unintentionally voracious look on my face. "You, uh... You gunna eat all those?"
  • edited November 2013
    VB pulls the back close to her chest and grins, "What? These?" She rocks it for a moment like its a precious little bauble. She's grinning from ear to ear. VB holds onto to it for just long enough to get a rise out of you, then she hands you the whole bag. "Its all yours, Momma, just like me. I sweet talked Chedd. S'funny, the guy loves these almost as much as you. So, you know, dig in and stuff."

She walks over to the bike, and trails a finger along the wide seat while you munch away. After a moment, she bends down to pick up your water bottle, hands it to you so you can wash it down, and asks, "You mind if I keep riding with you, Momma? I like the rumble of this bike, it's kinda amazeballs."
  • Momma, huh? ... I guess I'm gunna have to get used to that.

I grin wide, ear-to-ear, when she says the baggie is for me, and give her a peck on the cheek, "You're the best, hon." I sit back down, and break out some cutlery to eat with. I'm basically done the bag before she can even hand me the water bottle. I take it gratefully, and look back to the bike, "isn't it awesome? It almost puts Rinny to shame," I tease, "'course you can ride with me, hon! You, uh... You wanna take a short ride later? I wanted to cut my hair, but I think I could go a little longer before it needs a trim."
  • edited November 2013
    VB is back to running her hand over the seat of the bike when she says, "I wouldn't say this bike is annnnywhere close to Rinnie. It's good, but dayum, Rinnie really rocks my world." She trails off, like she realized she's on touchy ground, and turns to you, changing the subject, "We should cut your hair for sure, Kiddo. You never know when we'll have this much free time. You want to look nice for them, right?"
  • I finish the baggie and put it aside, standing up next to Vee in a single fluid motion. "Yeah, I guess I should... I don't suppose you're feeling inspired? You know I'd just throw my hair up in a bun... You always make it look so pretty."
  • VB leans into you, just touching you with her side, a familiar gesture. She reaches out to your hair, "Your hair is looking so healthy, momma. I got lots of ideas. C'mon, let's get you in a tent where I can work on it." She'll steal you away long enough to wash your hair with some vanilla soap she keeps with her, then uses a pair of scissors she borrowed from Trench and her own brush to cut and style your hair. How does it end up looking when she shows you the result in your bike's mirror?
  • Vee was a little bored... And by a little, I mean she was really bored. First, she washed it with this vanilla bean shampoo and conditioner stuff she loves. Then she wasn't happy with how long my hair was, so she chopped half of it off. Then she braided frakking feathers into my hair, and by the time she was done she brought out this flower clip to "bring it all together" and I barely recognized myself in the mirror.

It looks good and all, but it's just a bit... Well... See for yourself...

Over the top?

"Holy crap, Vee," I say, tilting my head around in the mirror to get a better look, "Does it... Do I look good?"
  • VB has a very self-satisfied grin on her face. She nods, "You're gorgeous, momma. Your neck is so sexy, this is just perfect!"

She giggles and lightly punches your arm, "Stop frowning, silly. It's good! You're.... hee hee, one hot momma."
  • Ok, that gets a chuckle out of me. "You're just tired of pushing my hair out of the way, aren't you?" I give her a kiss, and a hug. "Thanks, hon. I love it. Is there anything you wanted to do today? Just us?"
  • VB looks at you for a long moment, smiling, admiring. Then, like she realizes maybe she's supposed to answer, she says, "We could go for that ride, if you want. Just me an you." Then she grins and adds playfully, "Since I won't have your hair in my face anymore."
  • I crack a smile, "Ah! The truth comes out! I see how it is!" I narrow my eyes at her playfully, "Well the joke's on you, 'cause you're riding in front of me for this one. C'mon hon — let's get you mounted up."

I could use a ride to distract me... I wonder what's nice in the area...
  • "Boo! You tricked me! And now you're gonna put me up front?" VB jokes and smiles, but yeah, she wants to go for a ride. Anything for more alone time with you.

What's in the area? Well, there are rolling hills and a few mountains to the west. One peak where your Ma took you and Ollie as a kid, has a dirt trail up to the top, an amazing view of the world below.

There's a gigantic crater a few hours south, which has funky moss and caves and drek, they say it goes down twenty klicks deep. Hell, you've even heard that there is an entire underground society down there.

Or hell, you could pull out all the stops and make it to Armour by nightfall. On a bike riding flat out, the two towns are pretty close, really.

What do you do?
  • Well, it's not like I'll be able to keep her up front for long... But for now? I don't think she'll complain having that big engine rumbling between her legs.

Y'know, I haven't been up that dirt road in forever... I'd be nice to bring Vee up there. I wish Rinny was with us... We could have made an outing of it... I guess I'll just have to settle for Vee, baby, and me. I promised I wouldn't go running off on Gramma, so I've gotta be sure to get back before dark — I wouldn't want her jumping to conclusions. I'll just let Hump know what's up before we leave.
  • No, no complaints from VB at all.

Hump and Jemma were chatting with some of the locals. Seems Jemma knows a few folks. Hump tells you that Stitch and Metro went inside the town, past the walls.

The dirt trail is relatively unchanged, just like you remembered. It's not like vegetation would overtake it. The view up here is as brilliant as you recall. The odd smoke of the valley still blocks any fine details, but you can easily make out the tops of The Pen, Podday, Poddby, the engines, hell, you can almost make out Pips and the commune, only just. You see folks inside the valley, by the way. Maybe a dozen different shapes moving in between buildings and the smoke. That's new.

VB moves over, stares down at it, "Wow, Kiddo. This is flash. I can't believe it. The whole valley." She sits down, rests her chin on her knees, sitting right at the edge of a rock shelf.
  • Gramma knowing lots of folks isn't something that surprises me... I asked Hump to mention that bit about Top o Gold and Spanx to her — just in case she knows someone to ask about that too. I guess Stitch and Metro are having their day in luxury... Good for them.

The ride out was relaxing, and I took some time to nuzzle Vee when the road wasn't too treacherous. I feel all nostalgic looking down on the Valley, remembering the short time we had at the Commune fondly — except that one night that kicked us the frak out of there... It all feels so far away now... I can kinda see the cul-de-sac where Aunt Carefree used to live... The market where I sold some of her hand-made trinkets to unsuspecting customers.

I sit next to Vee, taking it all in, "are those folks down there? I didn't know people were down there! Are they comin' in from the North, you think?"
  • VB peers down into the smoky gloom. After a moment, she leans forward, slipping her legs down to hang over the shelf, planting her hands on the dirt. "Yeah, Kiddo... I think so. Maybe ten or so. Moving slow, like they're skuling." She looks up at you, asks curiously, "You think they're scavs or somethin?"
  • I don't reply right away... "Can you get the binoculars? I can't really see from here..."
  • VB slips up, jogs back down the path to where you parked. While she's gone, you're able to get a better sense of their movements. They move in small fire teams, and they all have very flash looking weapons. They criss-cross the buildings and you see one is walking and looking down at some device he's holding.

VB hands you the binoc, and you dial them in. They're dressed in matching green unis, there are eleven of them, all in some kind of gas masks. One seems to be the leader, she keeps pointing directions and they move off. The one holding the device, it seems to be some kind of sensor.

The weapons they have, all of them look like Rinnie's rifle, except for two. Two of them have really big guns, guns so big that they have chest harnesses that help carry part of the weight of the gun.

You track through the smoke for a while, VB asking questions, wanting a play-by-play, and then you spot a squat vehicle, just barely when the wind picks up. It's some kind of carrier for this group.

Oh and by the way, you spot someone else on the mountain, on the side facing the valley, sitting on a fifty caliber with a wicked-long scope, keeping a close eye on the same group. It's Sapphire.

What do you do?
  • That girl's just got shit luck when it comes to staying hidden from me... Can I make my way down to her from here? Is she close enough that I could whistle to her without alerting the people down in the Valley? 'Cause I'd like to know what she does...
  • A whistle, probably not. You could sneak down there, sure. Give me an Act Under Fire. Are you doubling back to the trail and then circling around once you hit her level, or climbing down from where you are?
  • I'll stick to the trail, telling Vee to stay put for a minute. Worse comes to worst, and I get trapped or something she can ride off with the bike and grab the gang.

OOC: Acting under fire to get to Sapphire. Roll+Cool.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 1. Total: 10)
  • Great, so you make your way down the trail, then skulk about to reach Sapphire. You stay out of the notice of the ones in the valley. Hell, you might even have the drop on Sapphire, she sure seems dialed into the scope.

That's why Fox used to have Trey for a spotter, you know. Tunnel vision.
  • I figure it's best to give her plenty of notice before scaring the shit out of her. I whistle lightly, and whisper sweetly, "Hey Saff. Know who they are?"
  • The whistle has her rolling over, pulling out a little hand cannon. She starts to draw a bead on you, but you've got her dead to rights. She relaxes when you don't shoot her, and puts her gun down. "Nope. Military. Really good tech. They've been coming by, working closer, like they're afraid of something, but looking for something at the same time.... the frak are you doing back up here? Going to the Ascendant?"
  • I nod, "You lied to me about seeing my Ma' there." Then I turn back to the group of soldiers, and give them another look, "you think they'll pass through to the Salt Flats? They look like trouble to me..."
  • "I did lie, yeah.... sorry." She doesn't sound sorry. "I was in a bad mood." That sounds truthful.

She rolls back over, "I dunno if they'll head south. They come from the northwest into the valley, skulk around for about ninety minutes, then hike it back to their tank or whatever and take off. That carrier they got can book it, it's all-terrain, too. I mean, the really rocky drek, it'd break an axle prolly, but otherwise..." She looks back up at you, "You worried bout your Gramma?"
  • I look at her a little confused, "I'm worried about everyone if folks with guns like that come rolling in... Why?" I smirk, "are you worried about my Gramma?"
  • "I'm worried about them, too. Bad for business. And NO, I am not worried about your Gramma." Sapphire glares. Then she bends back to look down the scope again.

She says with complete confidence, "I can pop three of them before I'd have to scoot."
  • I frown a bit at her sudden desire to end some of them, "Won't do much good... Just get them looking for you — and the rest of the folks down south — for retaliation. I say let 'em skulk." I rise up onto my haunches, and pat her shoulder, "C'mon. We're leaving for the Ascendant tomorrow morning. Is your brother really up there, or were you lying about that too?"
  • She jerks when you pat her shoulder, rolls away from you and sits up, "Is Stitch with you?"
  • I nod, "yup."
  • This little grin flickers over her face, then she turns away to start breaking down her rifle, "Okay, I'm coming with. And yeah, they got my brother. For now. Ima shoot Branny in his frakking face."

Her hands move quick and smooth, she's done this most of her life. She fetches her bag from the scrub, then sneaks around to the trail with you before she relaxes.

VB gives her a nervous grin, "Hi Saff."

Sapphire nods, then asks you, "When're you leaving?"
  • Saff's gunna shoot herself in her frakking face if all the rumors are to be believed... I'll get Gramma and Stitch to keep an eye on her...

I lead her up the path back to Vee, and hop on my bike with Vee. "Tomorrow, first thing. We're in Outer Rim for the night; but I understand if you'd rather not chill there. We can meet up in Armour some time before dinner tomorrow night."
  • Sapphire eyes you and VB for a moment, like maybe she thinks it's a trick. But then she says, "Alright. I'll see you at Armour tomorrow night."

She heads over to some scrub and pulls up her dirt bike, getting ready to head off. VB lets out a quiet breath she was holding. Sapphire terrifies her. Do you know why?
  • Fox was a force to be reckoned with back in her day, and all the scrubber kids thought fondly of her — well, until she killed the Oracle. After that, she was just broken, yeah? I met her just after the whole thing happened — I still remember it vividly — she asked me to sing her a song or something... She was the saddest woman I ever met, even before she lost her boytoy Trey. She didn't scare me, but then my Dad was convinced Fox was a good person, deep down...

Your guess is as good as mine as to why Fox slipped, but Nova watched her put a couple bullets in the Oracle, in cold blood, and then the whole frakking Valley turned on its frakking head... Some folks say she started a war that drove us from our homes. Dad said it was more nuanced than that — but Fox was no doubt the scariest woman to roam the Valley to a lot of kids after that... Abused by some twisted frak to be the perfect killing machine — the ender of the Oracle — and Sapphire was raised in her frakking image.

Who wouldn't be afraid of a kid like that? Sapphire should be a little girl, doing kid things, and figuring out what she wants to do in life; but instead she's chasing the approval of a woman who trained her to kill, and value survival above all else. That's not love — that's torture.

My baby will know love — I swear it.

I give Saff a little salute, and rev the engine. "See you tomorrow, sweetie." Then I ride back off for Trench.
  • Sapphire returns the salute, mounts her lil dirt bike and rides off. VB shudders a bit, and you go back to Trench. VB ends up chatting with Hump and Jemma and a few locals, but you've got an itch to wander, don't ya?

Heading over to check on the Candies, you find Spree. She's in much better shape, has a tired smile on her sweaty face, "Yo ho, boss. Saw you ridin in earlier. How's it goin?" Spree looks like she's on the other wide of bein sick, could use a bath, but they're expensive here.
  • I'm always wandering... My eyes cross a little when I catch a whiff of Spree, but it's late enough in the day that I'm not puking at her feet. I do put a hand to my nose though, playing it like I'm pondering the sight of her. "Girl, you need a frakking bath... C'mon. Let's get you cleaned up."

I'm not taking no for an answer — there is no way I'm letting this stinky go a day without a bath, but I'm frightened to think what the rest of them smell like...
  • Spree tries to fight it, saying she just wants a good shower at Armour, but you're not taking no for an answer, so...

There's a little space where they have a steam room and small pool of water. The thing is connected to an exhaust vent from the town inside. Spree and you both get steamed up in the wooden room, where its so hot its a little hard to breathe. But the air is also filled with a smell not unlike pine. Spree's sitting on her raggedy towel that the girl outside handed her, completely naked. What's her most interesting scar?

Spree luxuriates on the wooden bench, smiles where you can see her missing teeth, "You didn't hafta do this boss. But... thanks. Hey, is there anything the matter? You always look like you're like... about to puke or something."
  • Spree's got a c-section scar... Truth be told, not a lot of women survive that kind of thing out here. I'm shocked she's alive, let alone looking half as good as she does for bringing twins to term... I've got my eyes closed when she calls me boss, and I flinch uncomfortably.

"Rinso knocked me up," I say without hesitation, completely deadpan, still staring at the ceiling.

I look over to her with a wry smile, and giggle, "just kidding. You and the girls ever been to Redcliffe? There's an awesome meat-vendor there that makes the best Kebaps in the Salt Flats... But he undercooks his meats like a mother frakker. Stitch said I caught a bug from it..."

I lean back against the wall again, getting comfortable, "I'd probably still eat there... Y'know, you don't gotta call me boss... I don't mind helping you girls out, but I don't wanna step on you and Star's toes..."
  • Spree raises an eyebrow at that, doesn't gawk, just looks at you. Then you flip it on her and she smiles wide, and slaps your arm, "Damn, Boss, you had me goin there! I was about to say, 'At least you know the daddy', but you were just playing with me. Hell, I never been to Redcliffe, no. And... I like callin you Boss. Lets me love my girls like equals, even if it is drek and I'm tellin em what to do. I mean, Pallor didn't raise a stupid girl, but I've never been the best at, like, decisions that matter. But you're good at that. I don't have to lead them, them just... follow. Hell, I figure Star'll step up someday, and I'd love that. But if nobody else will say boo, then Ima say boo. Till, uh, till they do. heh."
  • I'm still really curious as to who fathered Spree's kids; but she keeps on going before I get a chance to interrupt her, and I decide to let it slide for now... She mentions Redcliff, and I interject "Totally worth it," I say with a grin, "I'll get you to Redcliffe yet."

The bit about her just kind of leading until someone capable steps up has me a bit cautious... It occurs to me that if Star wants to take over, I don't think she'd be challenging Spree... I chuckle, "well... Until someone steps up, I guess what we've got going isn't too bad... Oh, by the way — I picked up a traveler for the road. You know a guy named Trojan?"
  • edited November 2013
    Spree gives you a sidelong look, sort of surprised, "Know Tro? Frak yeah, I know Tro. He's the party man! After we hit those Wendys an drove them south, took a few o' their wigs, we traded 'em in for bounty here, and got majorly trashed on Chedd's cheap liquor and whatever Tro could shovel to us. That... was epic." She chuckles, "Yeah, I know Tro. Nice guy, decent lay."

Then Spree flips subjects on you, "So riddle me this, bosslady. Somethin I never noodled out. I mean, when we were little hoppers, me an you. We weren't so different. I mean, yeah, I was a Pod Person and your dad was maybe a half-step behind, always playin at parties an all. But he did ok, from what I could tell." Spree seems like she really believes this. She doesn't seem like she's trying to be dismissive. "Anyhows... how izzit that you ended up so friendly with Vee and Rinnie? I mean, they were po' little scrubber kids. They hated me. I'm willin to bet they still do. And you an me, like I said, we aint so different. So, what'd you do?"
  • This girl is a party girl, through and through... Her question about how I got so close to the scrubbers has me shaking my head at her teasingly. I pat her leg with another wry smile, "did you try talking to them? They're all decent enough folks."

'Course I know that wouldn't have been enough
    ... I wasn't friendly with 'em 'cause I talked to 'em — though that certainly didn't hurt — I was friendly with 'em because I lived in Sector, and my dad played the music they heard going to sleep. Vee and Rinso, though? They were special.

"Rinny and Vee used to be a package deal – I was friendly with both of 'em 'cause they loved Dad's music. When Vee lost her leg, the temple put her up, and I think Rinny always felt a little responsible for not helping her. The night those frakking first men destroyed Chloe's, Rinny promised my Dad he'd look out for me."

I wipe some sweat off my brow, and continue. "So he did — and with Rinny came Vee — but when Rinny left to be with Cherry for a year, Bee was heartbroken, and needed a place to stay, so I begged my parents to take her in. We've been close ever since."
  • She snickers, "Yeah, you look close." But she doesn't seem to mean anything by it. "What do you expect up at the Ascendant, Kiddo? Think I'll get back to my little ones?"
  • Will she make it home to her kids? She asks me this frakking now? I look her square in the eyes, and nod. "I don't intend on getting anyone killed — but why even risk it Spree? Those babies are so precious... Why risk leaving them without a Ma'? Seriously. I can handle this with the other girls."
  • Spree narrows her eyes, "I left three girls back for Abba and Zabba, they will be taken care of. I like you, boss, but don't go draggin your history into my life, alright? Hell, if anything, yer a frakkin poster girl for what good comes out of makin babies self-reliant. There's a jingle and a half word for ya, Kiddo..."

She grins a cocky grin, "I wasn't askin cause I'm scared, boss. I'm askin cause I wanna know my odds, so I know how good to feel when we beat 'em. An I don't intend on anybody gettin killed, either, so let's just all make sure it goes down like that." Spree stands up, wiping herself with the towel, then heads out to wash off in the cooler afternoon air.
  • I grit my teeth a bit at the whole "self reliant" bit. I didn't get where I am today 'cause my Ma' died when I was still in diapers — and I couldn't have taken up scav work when she left with Dad if I didn't have her around to teach me when I was old enough. Ruth was really awesome and all that, but she wasn't my Ma' — and even Ruth knew that. It just seems so selfish to me — to want to ride out into danger when someone relies on you like that... You ride into the dangers the people you love are facing.

I stand up and tenderly wipe myself down — still being a bit sensitive to the touch — then follow her out. "I don't take risks I can't walk away from, Spree — but I won't lie, it sounds like this is a big one."
  • Just outside is a few buckets outside small curtained areas. The idea being you come into a small curtained area and sponge down. Spree looks at the soap boy as she walks in with her towel over her shoulder and winks, then she takes a cup and just splashes water over her body, sponging down right in the middle area, standing over the grates, dripping down into some unknown sewer. "A big one sounds good. I like that. The North Candies need more than one pack of Wends in our book to get the same respect as Zee and them. And just imagine... saving your Ma's neck! Bad. Ass!"

She looks over at you after sucking her teeth, "So..." she says as she starts patting herself dry, "How are we playing this? Walk up and ask nicely? Ride in shooting and ride out? Send in a couple to scout, sneak in and fight our way out? A little of A and a little of C?"
  • I dump a bit of water on my shoulder, trying to keep my hair dry, and consider how we're going to play this out... I'd imagine Gramma has a plan already, but I've got a few ideas myself if shit goes south... "I'm gunna go in with Gramma and Sapphire, maybe Stitch if she wants to tour the facilities, and a girl or two... We'll play it nice, see if we can get to Ma' and Dad. If it looks like we can get 'em out fair and square, we'll do that first. If it looks like we can only sneak 'em out, we'll probably do that. If it comes down to fighting though? ... Well, it'd have to be frakkin' worth it..."
  • Spree chuckles, "Well, for frak's sake, Kiddo. That's an assload of ifs!" She throws her head back and laughs.
  • I smirk, "just let me know if there's any particular part you don't follow, yeah? Ifs are what happen when a perfectly good plan meets reality." That was a "Ruth-ism" as Ma' called it.
  • Spree towels her hair dry for a few minutes, giving you some space to do your own thing. Then she puts the towel around her neck and holds both ends, still glancing over at the soap boy to make sure he's watching. "Pardon me for pissing on your ifs, but I'd keep Saff back. Let her lil sniping work for us. And gods only know she's probably got a rep. Or... would she not play ball? Bummer nobody ever taught her, hunh?"
  • I gaze over to the Soap boy, then back to Spree with an amused look, "see something you like, sweetie?" I shake my head, "Saff's got her own reasons for playing ball, but you aren't wrong about her... She wants to put a bullet in Branigans' head."

Which could work to our advantage, if you think about it...
  • Soap boy grins and nods, which makes Spree snicker a bit. She sucker her teeth and drops her voice a little, "You know, that's a helluva asset. You could set her up to take the heat, and GTFO with your Ma and Pa when the drek hits the fan."
  • Yeah, that's all we need — a pissed off sharpshooter with mommy issues thinking I used her to save my parents from the asshole who has her brother. "I don't wanna use folks like that... I wouldn't leave you or the girls behind — it don't make sense to do that to Saff either. At least so long as she doesn't go and get one of ours killed, yeah?"

I finish washing, and pat myself dry. "Dry night tonight, ok? But I don't blame you if you find some hot little thing to fill the gap."
  • Spree shrugs when you fend off her suggestion, like it's no big deal. "She's a teeny thing, but she's pretty smart. But she's a little, you know, headstrong. If she's got a mean on for Branigans, she would burn us for it. I mean... we didn't hire her, did we?"

You're headed back to get dressed now, when you mention the dry night. She nods, "Got it, boss. Sorry about last night, got outta hand. Ima fix it." She throws on her clothes, and she's heading out to check on the bikes.

What do you do?
  • I let her go. If she says she's gunna fix the mess from last night, then I'm good to let her try. Once I dress and step out into the hustle and bustle of the Outer Rim, I have a really weird sensation — I want some peace and quiet time.

Y'know... Just baby and me...

I find a nice, quiet spot where I can listen to some music, and process the fact that I'm not really going to be alone for a long frakking time... At least until this baby's born. I guess I'll just sit here, listening to some guy named Patrick, with my hands crossed across my tummy until someone comes looking for me with the next crisis — or y'know, I get hungry or something...
  • OOC: Opening my brain. Roll+Weird. +1XP Rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6-1. Rolls: 5, 2. Total: 6)
  • You zone out listening to the beautiful tune of Luscious Life. You drift along in a hazy image of you and your baby, holding it close. Its odd, the baby, gender-less, nameless, wondrous. Yours.

You see Rinso far away from here, talking. He's talking to a teary-eyed Cherry. She has a gun in his face, and his hands are out, showing he has none. He has no weapon on her, she could kill him. And she wants to. She really wants to kill him, Kiddo.

In that dark doorway in her lonely shack, you see emerge the face of a young boy, maybe three or four. He's got a head-full of curly black hair and curious eyes. He walks forward, unafraid, unconcerned with Cherry's ire. That boy walks right up to a shocked Rinso. And then your vision clears.

What was the boy's name, Kiddo?
  • "Dawn," I whisper lightly, as if the name is on the wind... I bite my lip nervously, and rock back and forth as I consider whether to mount up and ride south, or just stay put — but of course I can't get to him. I'm stupid for even thinking I could... Cherry's going to tell him that Dawn is his... Rinso will want to take care of him — I know he will — because Rinso is good like that... I'll just be some other slut he knocked up who has one of his kids...

If he's there now he'll either be dead, or gone by the time I'd get to Cherry's... I curl up in my little corner, and crank the music up. Spree said I'm a poster child for self-reliance — as lonely and broken as I am. I can get things done on my own — and I suppose I'll have to, if Cherry has her way.

This baby is mine. If Rinso doesn't come back, I'll be the only person in the world this baby can rely on. Hell, even if he does, how could I be sure he always will be? I close my eyes when a song of Pat's comes on — one I've always loved in a language I don't understand— it sounds so beautiful though. I can't help but feel bad for Dawn... Cherry might be able to protect him, but what kind of frakking life is that for a child?

I hate Cherry. She's going to kill Rinso... She may not pull the trigger, but mark my frakking words — she's going to kill him.