[Shadowfate] Hot on the Heels of Love (6)

2»

Comments

• You'd think the explosion would be bigger, but the drone seems to just pop and its pieces scatter over about a hundred yard path, some tinging off your truck and one narrowly missing you. No real damage to the truck.

imageMalin

"That's it, as far as nearby air support. Seems like they were counting some on security through obscurity. Who's driving, Jube?"

• imageJubilex

I toss Lindo the keys, "You got it, Lindo. I need to keep a lookout." I wink at Malin, "And look cool, too." I'm worried about Mat, making bad jokes.
  • imageLindo

After about a half-hour, while Lindo's driving along a peaceful back road, following the GPS directions Mat already coded into the truck's nav system, he muses out loud. "The contract was just for delivery, I hope. Whoever's recovering that steal won't be able to use it for anything good without a lot of work first. It's soaked through with blood magic. They must have had a whole coven of those bastards doing some sort of ritual in preparation for whatever they planned."

Mat's eyes have closed, and his breathing deepens. Seems like natural sleep.

• imageJubilex

"That's not good." I respond. "I mean, good that we stopped it, not good for sensei." That dampens my mood a little. Glad that Mat's sleeping. If I'd lost him on this run, I would be a wreck.
  • imageLindo

Lindo shrugs around the steering wheel. He's obviously aware of Mat's condition improving, so the shrug is all about the situation with the steel. "Anyone that's so concerned about a hunk of metal... you haven't been dealing with the lead dog in this race, have you? Anyone that's so concerned about this has the resources to clean it up. Or not, if that's what their game was."

• imageJubilex

I shake my head, "Well, probably not. I guess I've got the tail of one of the dogs? This drek makes my head hurt sometimes, you know? Putting my team at risk for nuyen, dealing with half or less of the real deal."
  • imageLindo

Without turning around, Lindo manages to indicate with a gesture of his head and his left hand that you're being foolish. You've seen it before. "We're always putting our culs on the line for NuYen, Jube. Every time you send us out. Whether it's for Motown or for the barrio, or whatever the cause is. You treat us well, the compensation is good, and we trust you that the end-result is worth the risk. Financially, morally, whatever..."

• imageJubilex

I nod. He's right. It's the job.

It's always the job. Nothing personal.

I check the sat radio, look for some music. Check on Mat. Keep an eye out.
  • You play around until you find a station that's playing good driving music. Not super loud or insistent, but with a beat you can nod along to. Mat stays asleep for now.

imageMalin

After a bit, Malin turns around from the passenger seat to check in with you. "I was wondering, Jube. Is there anything I can do to help with your plans for Mac's? I mean, I can do some research or whatever, but I'll help paint and clean up, too, for the re-opening."

• imageJubilex

I glance at her in the rearview. I'm so thankful for Malin, she's a breath of fresh air in this line of work. "Malin, that would be great. I know it's sat idle for a while, it would help to have another pair of hands. I know Jess would love it. Thanks." That helps, eases me up, even though I'm still watching the road and outside. "That store is important to the barrio. You know? We need it back open for business."

I just realized Jessi owes me a story. If we get out of this place and hand over the kera, we're headed home again pretty quickly.
  • After you check in, sensei arranges for you to meet his people at a warehouse outside Seattle. You make it to the rendezvous with no further trouble. Two men with big guns slide open the doors, then close them behind you. Mat wakes just as you enter.

imageMat

"Ouch."

• imageJubilex

I glance back at Mat, still a little wary of the situation. Lindo drives us forward and I reach a hand over to Mat, "Hey there, Mat. Glad to have you back."
  • imageMat

Mat gives you a bleary look. "Did I drink a handle of cheap liquor or something? This is the worst hangover ever."

You can see through the windshield that Sensei (dressed in a finely tailored suit) and one other Japanese man are waiting outside. Their stance is relaxed and there are no weapons in sight.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

"We ran into some blood mages, and they punked you, Mat. Lindo saved your ass. You owe him a dozen beers. We got the hunk of metal and we're forking it over. Hang tight."

I let Lindo bring the truck to a stop, then I leave my guns out of sight as I hop out of the truck and walk towards them.
  • Both men bow in greeting. Sensei speaks first. "Sarunnu-sama, it is good to see you well. Did you manage the run without much trouble?"

• imageJubilex

I return the bow with respect, "Hai, sensei. There was little trouble for us, but I am sorry to report our shaman says the kera is tainted by blood magic."
  • They both hiss a breath in through their teeth, and have a quick whispered conversation in Japanese. Sensei turns back to you. "This is not your problem, that our steel is tainted by such foulness. It is ours, and we will deal with it. We would like to inspect the bloom now, before making payment?"

• imageJubilex

A curt nod, "Hai, of course." I gesture to the team so they'll hop out, even Mat. "The bloom is in the truck."
  • The team 'hops' out. Lindo steps from the driver's seat, Malin from the passenger's, and Mat slips across to land unsteadily on the concrete floor, as well. Nizoni throws open the doors of the cargo area of the truck and leaps out, nimble as some sort of antelope. The air-cushion pallette is already engaged. She gives you a grin and a wink. The steel is still in the same condition you 'found' it in. Sensei glances to the other man, who nods.

"Very well, then. I have your blades here with me, and if you will open your PAN for a transfer, I will transfer the rest of your team's payment."

• imageJubilex

I step closer to sensei, "What will be done with the bloom?" I shouldn't ask, it's unprofessional and we both know it. After dealing with a toxic spirit and now blood mages, I'm on edge.
  • Sensei gives you a look. "It will be cleansed. And blessed, in the fire of dragons. The blades this kera makes will change the world. For the good."

• imageJubilex

I've got a Rapport with Sensei. I'd like to get a read on him here:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 7. Rolls: +, +, 0, +)
  • I didn't set a difficulty, but you would most CERTAINLY have beat it, and sensei is not trying to obfuscate. Why don't you pick some questions inspired by the AW list, as if you had rolled a 12+.

• imageJubilex

What should I be on the lookout for?
    Who is in control here?
  • Sensei is in charge *here,* but he's not the overall boss. You have that tip-of-the-iceberg sense that there's an organization at work behind this, but it doesn't feel corporate and it doesn't feel fanatical.

There really isn't much to look out for. Sensei intends to follow through with the deal as agreed, and everyone you see appears watchful but not suspicious.
  • imageJubilex

I open my PAN and bow again, "It has been a pleasure, Sensei."
  • A female dwarf and a young man who clearly has some NAN in his genetic makeup move toward the truck and begin unloading the palette with the steel. Your PAN alerts you that a transfer has been made. A very large transfer. Sensei inclines his head, asking you to follow him to a table off to the side where there are three cloth-wrapped bundles. "Your blades."

• imageJubilex

These blades are the single greatest non-living treasure I've ever had. Not nuyen. treasure. I take them with all the reverence and gratitude I can muster, bowing low, "Gomenesai, sensai."

Once he's satisfied with the handover, I'll wrap things up. I want to get Mat checked out soonest.
  • Sensei returns the bow. "You are worthy of that blade, sarunnu-sama. Someday, perhaps you will learn more of us." He gestures to include the warehouse, the steel, the half-dozen or so people intently examining it. "But for now, I wish you well tending your own garden, and hope that you never need to draw your sword in anger or fear."

Scene fades, and we open on your team on the airplane, making the final descent to the PRD. Mat and Lindo are asleep, and Mat's color is back to normal. Nizoni looks out the window, inscrutable. Malin leans forward to talk to you.

imageMalin

"I think I like Seattle, Jubilex. But it's good to be home."

• imageJubilex

"I completely agree, Malin." I say as I lean in, too. "What's the first thing you're going to do when you get back to the apartment?"
  • edited August 2015

imageMalin

Malin ponders, but only for a moment. "Sleep. For about twelve hours. Unless there's a crisis while I'm asleep, in which case I'll sleep for fourteen hours. You?"

• imageJubilex

I give her a smirk, "Sleep does sound good, yeah." I'm lying. I want to hear what Jessi did with her goddess.

After a moment of watching the jet come down, I tell her, "Malin, you're really good at this. I'm glad to have you on the team."
  • imageMalin

Malin blushes just a touch. "I think it's what I was born for. I mean, maybe literally what I was born for. In the long run, it's gonna take people like me to be the sheriffs of the Matrix, yeah? And I need to learn everything I can. I'm so glad I landed with you, Jube."

• imageJubilex

I give her a nod, "Same. I owe Mat for it, but don't tell him I said that."
  • Soon enough, the plane is taxiing to the terminal. Your team grabs their gear and heads to their respective pads, tired but richer than when they left. When you and Malin get to the apartment, she heads straight to bed as she planned, but you drop your bag, change and head off to Jessi's. It is finally story time.

END SCENE

END SESSION