[Junk XIII] Having You For Dinner? (K 5.2, S 5.2)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Three hours later, Telstra came for you both, and led you to a operating lift. The elevator took you down from Deck 8, where the Bay is, to Deck 11. Kiddo, you've never been on a lift before, so this has to be weird, walk in a door, feel movement, walk out the same door and you're here:
Ascendant Dining Hall

How are you dressed? Did you try to hide any weapons?

Telstra leads you down the hall into the officer's dining area. Seated at a long table is your mother, dressed in a nice blue dress,
Branigans
and Branigans, who is dressed in a sleek black suit.
Zero

Branigans stands when you enter, arms spread wide, "Kiddo. Stitch! I'm glad you are able to dine with us. Stitch, please meet my lovely wife, Zero."

Zero stands up, and gives you a smile, Stitch, but she's moving around the table to hug you, Kiddo, "Gods, Kiddo. I knew you had drek to do," she says into your ear, "But I didn't think you'd be away for so long." She pulls back, gestures for the seat to her left, "Please sit by me, Kiddo."

Comments

• I look to Bran and Zero. "Nice to meet you both." It's not, but I do have manners.
  • I didn't hide any weapons, and I've only got like three sets of clothes — mostly a change in tanktops — so I'm in my usual pant, tanktop, jacket affair... But I've started noticing I've got a bit of a tummy, so I'm gunna have to look into fixing that it'd seem... I'm not risking trying to hide weapons. It's not worth it at this point...

But then I see my Ma', and I'm starting to wish I had. Wife? I grit my teeth angrily when she stabs at me for not coming sooner. I can't say no to sitting by her... She's got a lot to answer for. This all feels so fake... I can't even bring myself to hug my own Ma'... I mean, I wrap my arms around her, but ... Who is this woman?

I follow her over to the table, but I can't bring myself to say anything. I'm just watching her — this woman who looks like my Ma'... I nod to Branigans out of respect, and wait for folks to take their seats. Good thing Rinso made me eat with that fancy stuff in Bubble City... Looks like that was a refresher...
  • You all take seats and a bottle of wine is quickly brought out by a meek man dressed in a white coat and black pants. He pours wine in each of the crystal glasses in front of you.

Branigans says, "I wanted to offer you my thanks for saving Colacao's life, Stitch. He's an important part of our community. Janco says you are very, very good at your job. So tell me, what do you think of our hospital?"
  • I nod at his thanks. I did it for Colacao, not for him. "The hospital is... amazing. The best tech I've seen." On this planet, my brain adds.

OOC: Read Bran incoming.
  • OOC: Read a Bran. Roll+sharp (-1 ongoing). +1xp rolling highlighted
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 12)
  • OOC: What does Bran intend to do?
  • Branigans nods, happy to hear your assessment, Stitch. "Janco says you're good with tech. That you've been working on poor Oliver. Is there anything you can do for him?"

Branigans intends to bring you into the community, Stitch. He also wants to rub his relationship with Zero in Kiddo's face, hopefully she'll take off and never come back.
  • "If the cancer hasn't spread, I could operate. He would likely recover, though he'd lose part of one of his lungs." I reply. What is with this guy? Everyone I've talked to says he's bad news. Even my own limited experience has agreed. But sitting here at this table- he's being civil to me, and petty to Kiddo.

If Zero is married to Bran, then who is visiting him during those two hours?
  • Branigans looks to Zero. She has been sitting and watching Kiddo during the conversation. She nods, "You should do what you can for him. Bran's really gone out on a limb for him. More than he deserves."

To that, Branigans adds, "If you and Janco can work things out about the surgery, I'll trust your judgment. It would be nice to see him up and about again." He looks to you, Kiddo, "Maybe you'd be willing to help him out? Take him with you? He hasn't been very helpful..."

"I told you to let him go, Bran." Zero says with a clipped voice. She picks up the wine and takes a swig, "He was trouble back in Sector, and nothing's ever changed."
  • I nod when they seem to agree to the surgery. It won't matter if the cancer has spread, but there's nothing to be done about that right now.

I chew at my thumbnail. This is... awkward.

OOC: What is Bran really feeling?
  • Branigans smiles, "Zero, you are a vengeful little girl. It's a good thing I love you so much." Zero makes a pfft sound and drains her glass.

The meek waiter brings out a large serving dish, and places a wonderful-smelling brothy soup and a fresh salad in front of each of you. He pauses before leaving to pour some more wine for Zero, then leaves. There's a few moments of quiet as I assume you eat?

Bran is feeling very cocky. This is going perfectly to plan. He's excited to see Kiddo lose her shit about Zero's attitude towards Ollie. He's worried about her drinking, though. She drinks too much. He considers you cowed and under thumb, this pleases him. He smells cowardice on you, Stitch.
  • OOC: How could I get Bran to tell me what's really going on here?
  • I lean over to Ma' when Branigans is talking with Stitch, and whisper, "I need to talk to you privately... Something really important has come up..."
  • Stitch,

He won't tell you until Kiddo's gone and you're definitely a loyal member of his community. Until then, he doesn't trust you, and he doesn't think your fear of him is enough to compel you to keep quiet.
  • Kiddo,

Zero nods seriously, like she's on the ball, she will meet with you.
  • The problem is that Bran won't talk to me until I join his group, but I don't want to join unless I figure out what's going on.

I feel backed into a corner. Maybe I was always going to end up on this ship, working for Branigan's. If it hadn't been for the Wendys, or knowing Kiddo... something else would have pulled me in.

I wonder where Metro is. What he's doing.
  • Zero stands up, hands on the table, and says, "This wine is going right through me! I'll be right back." She starts to move her chair back further.

But as she starts to leave, Branigans grabs her arm. Not hard, but quick, and sure, "Can't you wait a moment, darling? The food is coming. No need to bump into the staff, right?"

Zero looks at him, then ducks her head, "No, you're right, babe." She reaches back to pull the chair back, sits down.

Three members of the staff bring out tiny gourmet plates of succulent food, prepared carefully and very well. This is Butter Nut quality food here.

Stitch, what did you tell Metro about this whole dinner party?
  • edited November 2013
    I need to puke.

I'm going to the head. I don't care if she's going. If she gives half a frak about anything, she'll frakking come after me.
  • The way Zero's face goes slack when he touches her... something is wrong.

I told Metro that Bran had invited Kiddo and I to dinner. I didn't know anything else, so I couldn't say anything else.

I take small bites of each dish, enough to not disrespect my host. It is delicious, but this place is weirding me out.
  • Stitch,

Kiddo takes off, looking sick. You know why. Zero, mother's instincts and all, stands up to follow, but again, Branigans puts a hand on hers and says, "Stitch, would you please check on Kiddo?" Zero stands there, caught in indecision, like she wants to go check on Kiddo, but she just isn't going.

What do you do?
  • edited November 2013
    Kiddo,

This being a quasi-military ship, even the officer's head isn't terribly fancy. Also, it's unisex. You can find a stainless steel toilet quite easily.
  • I'm gunna do my business, take some time to steel myself and clean up, then go back to that bullshit circus show... Presuming nobody comes in to get me.
  • "Of course." I reply to Branigans. I stand up and head after Kiddo.
  • Stitch,

You come into the unisex head, and catch Kiddo mid-hurl. Nobody else in here. There were five staff working on the food as you passed. Five Course meal.
  • I walk over and hold Kiddo's hair out of the way. "She wanted to come. He stopped her. I don't know how." I say quietly, after she's done.
  • My head's still hanging over the bowl, my voice reverberating in that weird way only a toilet can. "I frakking hope so... This frakking stops eventually, yeah?"

I wipe my mouth on my sleeve after it all ends, "Sorry... She used to call my Dad Babe... It was their thing... She was the only one he ever called that." I'm trying to sound like it didn't phase me. It does.
  • edited November 2013
    "Yes, it should go away soon." I say. It normally goes away by week 12. Of course, that was pregnancy on Earth and the Moon, not on whatever the hell planet this is. Metro would have said if it was twins, right?

"It will be ok. I will do whatever I can for your dad. And your mom..." Hell, if Branigans died that would help. We'd have a ship full of folks who count on him for their livelihood- who may or may not be controlled by him- but what's that? I chuckle to myself.
  • I take a splash of water to the face, and take my time before starting the walk back. "Is there something we can do for her? I could press her."
  • "I... I don't know. I don't know how he's doing it. If we could separate them, maybe. Break his hold over her?" I reply. Exerting that kind of control over her... It's disgusting.
  • I nod. "Get her away from him... Ok. I'll see what I can do."
  • OOC: Spending barter to set up a play. Roll+Barter spent.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 1. Total: 6)
  • As soon as Kiddo told me that we were going to go to dinner with Branigans, I found Saff. Asked her to set something up so that if the shit hit the fan, we wouldn't be defenseless. Told her to stash it in the bathroom near where he eats- of course Kiddo would get sick.

OOC: Helping Kiddo incoming.
  • OOC: Help Kiddo. Roll+sharp (Professional compassion) +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 1, 4. Total: 8)
  • In the third stall, strapped behind the bowl in a plastic baggy is a matched pair of 9mm handguns.

Also inside is a note, written in loop cursive:
    Kiddo,
    Make it count. If you frak this up, Ima blow him to frakkin hell, and I don't even care who else goes with him.
    S

What do you do?
  • edited November 2013
    I suck at reading and writing cursive, but the message is exactly what I need to steel me for this... I take a minute to check the chamber, and clip — you need to know how many shots you've got in a situation like this, one, at least two, or none.

I wonder if the guard will come rushing in and beat me to death, or line me up against the bulkhead and shoot me...

I wonder if I'll spend the rest of my days in a jailcell, leaving Vee to take care of my baby... Or if they'll even let me have my baby...

I wonder if Ma'll kill me...

Either way, it doesn't matter. Branigans took my parents, and tortured them for a frakking year. Anyone can do what he's done here. I step out a step behind Stitch, the gun hidden behind her back. If I've got a clear shot at that asshole when I leave the head, I'm taking it.

And then I'll walk up to him, and put bullets in him until he's dead.
  • edited November 2013
    Kiddo and Stitch,

You march your way back into the dining hall. Branigans looks up, he's been talking with Zero. Zero's got worry on her face, but confusion, too. She's not sure why you're so upset, not at all.

There is a lovely dessert on the table, and more wine. Nobody else is here.

What do you do?
  • I raise the gun, and put a few rounds into him. I aim for the chest to put him down, then his head to finish him off.
  • As soon as you raise the gun, he looks surprised. Zero is moving quick, she does NOT want this to happen...

Let's see you Seize his life by Force, Kiddo.

Stitch, if you're helping, tell me how. If not, what are you doing then?
  • OOC: Seizing Branigans' by force. Roll+Hard.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 9)
  • I'm helping Kiddo by running over to Zero and keeping her out of the line of fire.
  • OOC: Helping Kiddo. Roll+sharp (professional compassion)
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 2. Total: 10)
  • OOC: That's a 10+...
    • I take definite hold of Branigans' life.
    • I suffer little harm.
    • I impress, dismay, or frighten my enemy.
  • OOC: +1xp rolling highlighted on that last help roll.
  • When you pull up the handgun, you see surprise on Branigans face. He was careful, you were both patted down, where the frak did you get those guns? All this runs through his head at the same time as the nine millimeter bullet.

Zero wails in anger, trying to jump in front of Branigans, but you bowl her over, Stitch, sending her to the deck. She head-butts you, then tries to roll away, hoping to scramble back up. You have to grab onto her waist to hold her down long enough for the deed to be done. Oh, and by the way, Stitch, you notice her tummy's a little bigger than you expected...

After the third shot rings out and Branigans is well and truly dead, Zero wriggles free. She clambers over to pull Branigans head into her lap, bends down to press her head to his, ignoring the blood.

You both hear people coming, guards, the wait staff, who knows. Zero looks up at you, Kiddo. She is so completely broken by this, Kiddo. She isn't crying, she doesn't do that drek. She says in a quiet tone of hurt. "Why? Why did you do it? Why did you kill him? Your own father?"

Stitch, take 1-Harm AP from that head-butt, you have a nose bleed.

What the hell do you do now?
  • I look between Zero and Kiddo. How could Zero be that messed up?!? What the fuck are we supposed to do now?

OOC: Read a sitch incoming.
  • OOC: Read a sitch. Roll+sharp. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 1. Total: 6)
  • Helping stitch, roll+Hx.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 1, 1. Total: 5)
  • OOC: How can we diffuse the situation?
  • edited November 2013
    I give this woman cradling that piece of filth a cold look, "my father has been lying neglected in the infirmary for over a year. I have been looking for you, and him, since you frakking abandoned us. I have fought tooth and nail against the people I love to get here. I held the hand of the only man who ever truly loved either of us, and you just frakking pissed all over what I've sacrificed to be here. Don't you frakking dare call that piece of shit my father."

I don't care about the voices coming, "That man stole you from my dad — the sweetest, kindest man in the whole world. That man who's been afraid, and alone for a year without you." I point down to Branigans, "that asshole filled your head with bullshit and lies, and you frakking bought it." I throw the gun down in front of her, "if you really believe that man is my father, the man you've loved as long as I can remember, then do your frakking worst — 'cause I've been through hell to get here, and I'll be damned if my own frakking mother is going to..." I pause, and take a breath, biting my lip.

I look down to the gun. "Shoot me. I frakking dare you. I would never kill my own flesh and blood... Let's see if you can."
  • Zero looks up at you, still holding Branigan's head close. Emotion breaks her voice, "Your father is lying here dead, Kiddo! Gods, what are you thinking? You went to see that brain frakker Ollie in the infirmary. He did something to you, didn't he? Is he controlling you?" She kisses Branigans once more, then lays him on the deck, standing up. "I don't give a frak if Ollie is sick, I'm going to choke the life out of him for this!"

She may not get the chance. Three armed guards coming rushing into the room, see that Branigans is dead. They are going to open fire on you two, but they aren't angled to fire on Zero.

Zero screams, "No! That's our daughter you frakking idiots!" So they look like they're going to shoot you, Stitch.

What do you do?
  • I pull the second gun out and fire it twice into the deck plating below our feet, then stare menacingly at the leader of the pack.

OOC: Dangerous and Sexy. Roll+Hot.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 1. Total: 4)
  • I look down to Zero, cradling that asshole, and give her the most serious look I've ever given anyone in my entire life. "If you kill Oliver, you'd better kill me too."
  • edited November 2013
    The guards paused when Zero yelled at them, but then you drew, Kiddo, and they open up. They fire on just you, Kiddo. The person who look guilty as all hell for killing their boss.

Lucky for you that you've got the ring.

Take 3-Harm (2 for weapons +1 for size).
  • Harm to Kiddo:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 12)
  • Harm to Stitch:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 13)
  • edited November 2013
    Stitch,

That head-butt, it hurt. Your eyes watered up, you felt blood in your mouth. Zero probably broke your nose. While you weren't knocked out, the pain and blurry eyes took the fight out of you.

Kiddo,

You fired at the deck, they fired on you. You felt a bullet in your shoulder, a second in your side. As you fell to a knee, your thoughts were on your baby, anything but letting anyone hurt it. As you fall to the deck, rolling to land on your uninjured shoulder, not your stomach.

Time slows down, and the guards stop firing, their job done. That's when you hear a scream of frustration from Zero. She crawls over to you, Kiddo, and for a moment, it feels like she's going to pull you into her arms and hold you.

But instead, she wrenches the gun out of your right hand and fires off the entire clip into the three guards, dropping all of them before they get a shot on her.

You feel yourself flying up for a delirious moment, and then you're floating along. No wait, you're on Zero's shoulder, she's picked you up. Stitch, she grabs your hand and pulls you up. "Dammit, Kiddo. Gonna fix you, baby, alright? Gettin you to Janco. Frakkin mess, gonna kill that brain frakker..."

--END SCENE--