[Junk XIII] Physical Therapy (S 5.9)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Stitch,

It's six o'clock. Do you report to Janco at the Recovery Ward for physical therapy? Or does she have to hunt you down?

Comments

• I got caught up with some patients and she has to come get me. "Sorry, Janco. I was on my way in 5." I say as soon as I see her.
  • Janco gives you a knowing nod, like she expected it. She says, "I will help you with rounds after. Excuse us." She takes the handles and backs you out of the room and starts wheeling you towards Recovery. As your passing by rooms, she leans down to your ear, "I'm going to have to add ten more minutes onto the session for that, Stitch. Just so you know."
  • I make a mental note to antagonize her after I'm out of this chair. "Fine." I say petulantly, not daring to provoke her more.

I'm not afraid of her, or physical therapy per say. I've seen it work wonders. Maybe I'm afraid I won't get back to where I was. I already felt like damaged goods- at least in this chair I look it.
  • Janco lifts you up out of the chair and slides you around to work on the padded mat. You work through stretches and she helps you loosen up, chatting with you lightly as she does so. Her touch is sure and practiced. For what she lacks in technological know-how, she understands the human body.

How are you reacting to this stretching?

Once she feels you are loose and ready, she has you practice pushing one foot and the other against her hands, having you apply pressure. She coaxes you through it, most of what she says is general "coach talk", but there's a general way that the tone influences patients. Of course, it should work less so on you, since you know that game. But you do respond a bit to it, don't you?

After making you push hard enough to break a sweat, Janco grins, "Good, Stitch, really good. Listen, you are really making progress. I feel definite growth. Now, I think we should get you up to the parallel bars and let you do some practice walks, what do you say?"
  • I'm too skinny for my height, but I doubt I'll ever get used to anyone but Metro picking me up.

I do ok with the stretching- I'm not whiney or anything. I know this is the easy part, so I chat back and forth with her. When we get to the real stuff and she's doing that 'last time' bit when it's really not the last rep, I'm starting to hate her a little bit. Her and her upbeat tone. It does help, though- having someone rooting you on. I guess I'm not used to that.

"Uh, on my first session?" I question her logic. I haven't put real weight on my legs since the explosion- Metro's been helping me in and out of the chair every day.
  • "Yes, on the first session. Not for long." Janco assures you. She explains patiently, "It's good for us both to see how much strength you have. I will be right there for you, Stitch. I promise I won't let you fall, alright?"

She pauses just long enough for you to hear her, then she's moving around behind you, "C'mon, let me help you up to the bars."

What do you do?
  • I don't wanna do it, but Janco isn't exactly going to take no for an answer. At least Metro's not here to watch me fall on my face. I get my hands up on that bar and try to steady myself, not really wanting to put any weight on my feet.
  • She holds you there long enough for you to plant your feet, and she waits. You know she wants you to feel the balance, to see the world standing up again, right before the pain of the effort that's coming. She encourages, "Now, come on, Miss I-took-out-a-girl's-appendix-on-the-hood-of-a-car, we both know you have it in you."

Let's see an Act Under Fire here, not to walk, but to push through the nerves of this and actually give it a full effort despite the possible embarrassment and humiliation.
  • OOC: Act under fire. Roll+sharp (good in the clinch). +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 3, 1. Total: 7)
  • I 'stand up' with most of my weight on my hands. I want to hit Janco, but I got no hands left. I grit my teeth and close my eyes for a second. I bend my elbows just a bit and settle onto my feet.
  • Well, that was an excruciating experience, especially being on the other side of it, not just watching. You're a trooper for a whole three minutes before everything gives out. Probably the longest three minutes of your life.

But in the end, you lift up one foot, move it forward, and step down on it. Okay, sure, you almost twist it when your arms give out, but you took a step. And man does Janco celebrate it. "Holy frak, Stitch! That was awesome! I didn't expect you could get a step in today, I just wanted you up there. Wow! You are a badass, girl!"

She lifts you up, walks you back towards the chair. You are covered in sweat and everything aches from tension. You want to go to sleep, like now.

Once you're settled in the chair, she asks, "Hey, you want to drink a couple brews to celebrate?"
  • I'm breathing heavy, not quite shaking, but not far off. I feel weak. "I want to sleep for a week." I tell her. "Besides, you shouldn't be telling me I can have beer now!"
  • Janco looks at you with a grin, "Why not? Rewards for a good workout session. Plus, it will help make sure you get to sleep, rather than wheel yourself around being grumpy to our patients."
  • "Because I'm not supposed to drink while I'm taking the pain meds." I tell her. "Uh! I am NOT grumpy to the patients! Just you."
  • Janco makes a pfft noise and waves a hand dismissively, "Oh, you can have a beer. The drek is mostly water anyhow. Or, I'll open two and drink both and you sit there and make nice conversation with me."
  • "Fair enough." I agree. I haven't had much time with Janco outside of the infirmary- it'll be nice to share a drink with her. "You seen Metro? He was supposed to be here after therapy." I ask.
  • Janco does this little thing, you almost miss it. But she rolls her eyes, just a tiny bit, at the mention of Metro. But it's gone in an instant and she answers, "He asked me when we would be done. He's probably right outside."
  • "What?" I ask her.
  • Janco blinks, trying to cover. "What what?"
  • I give her a stare down. "You know what what. You rolled your eyes at me. Spill."
  • She does it, rolls her eyes again. But then she says, "Oh, its nothing, sorry. I think you and Metro are great together. He's a super dude."
  • I narrow my eyes at her.

OOC: Read Janco incoming.
  • OOC: Read Janco. Roll+sharp. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 8)
  • OOC: What is Janco really feeling?
  • edited November 2013
    Janco's feelings are mixed. She's super proud of your effort today, that's genuine. She's hopeful that this is the first step towards recovery, and wants you to keep at it. But she's worried that Metro isn't the best person for you. And yeah, she's a little jealous of him. A teeny bit.
  • Huh. I wonder why she would think that he isn't the right person for me... unless she wants to be that person? Of course, she didn't know me before Metro. I was a mess- a coward and always having flashbacks. He helped with that.

"Super dude?" My eyebrows raised, I can't help but giggle. "What is that?"
  • A smile spreads over her face and she rolls her eyes again, "Heh, yeah. Sorry. It's just... the guy pretty much never sleeps, and he's always around, being supportive and loving and he's sweet and frakkin gorgeous. He's totally too perfect, you know?" She shrugs, like its obvious, "He's too perfect, that's the deal. I'm just worried about you, is all."
  • "Worried about me because he's too perfect? Hah." I joke, laughing. "A frakking grenade couldn't kill me!"
  • "Yeah, yeah... Janco says, "You're the badass." She laughs again, pushes you over to the door, opens it. Sure enough, Metro's waiting outside. Janco whispers low, "Too perfect."

Metro smirks, "Hey there. I'm glad to see you got her into therapy, Janco."

"Yup." Janco replies, then there's an awkward moment of not talking. That Metro probably doesn't realize is awkward.

What do you do?
  • "Yeah." I say with sarcastic enthusiasm. "I even took one whole step! Go me."
  • Janco snickers. Metro nods, not getting the sarcasm. He adds, "That's right, go you."

"Metro, you want to take over? I've got rounds to do." Janco says lightly, "We'll catch up some other time, Stitch."
  • "Hey." I call after Janco. "Raincheck on that beer!" We're going to celebrate my single step, dammit.
  • Janco looks back and nods, "Absolutely!"

Maetro starts pushing you forward, leans down, "Where to, ma'am?"
  • "Sleep." I say, directing him to our room.
  • He pushes you along, making idle conversation. Once you're our of earshot from the infirmary, "What are your thoughts about the council?"
  • I sigh. "I think it's a good idea that could fail hard if the council members start getting selfish. I don't even want to be on the damn thing- that meeting earlier took forever."
  • Metro offers, "You could send Janco in your stead. She's capable of handling the infirmary's needs, right? Say you're busy, use her as a delegate."

He wheels you into the officer's quarters you've claimed, takes you over to the bathroom, if you need it.
  • "Yeah. One of the guys asked about her. They may prefer to deal with her, anyway." I answer. I do need to use the bathroom. Anyone else- I'd be embarrassed to need help, but Metro doesn't judge, doesn't look at me with pity.
  • Once that's done, the bathroom deal, which yes, Metro has no problem with at all, he picks you up like a baby and carries you to bed, laying you gently on the mattress. If you seem inclined, he seems eager to kiss and caress you for a little, making small talk about things around the ship.
  • I return his kisses drowsily, the sweet darkness of sleep pulling me under before I know it.
  • --END SCENE--