[Junk XIII] Arriving in Boomtown (J 5-6)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

You've just arrived in Boomtown after almost a week of travel with Aqua and the Libs. How was the trip for you?

Aqua pulls the truck up to Logitech's place, and the Libs and Rinso start unloading the cargo. Rinso waves you off, "Jack, you wanna get us some water? We got the unloading."

Then Aqua takes your arm and pulls you towards Logitech's, "C'mon, Jack, let's check in with Tech real quick, let him know we're here. Then you can buy me something to eat at Sprite's."

How do you and Logitech get along, Jack?

What do you do?

Comments

• The trip was fairly standard. I'm quite used to riding silently on the back of some generous soul's motorcycle, or walking for weeks in the scorching heat to reach a destination; so the relative peace of the truck ride was a welcome change. I nod to Rinso when he requests water, and am about to leave when Aqua takes my arm.

Oh... Logitech... Well, yes... You see, we are ... amiable. No, professional? ... It suffices to say we are a little bit of both. He is a good man — that is certain — but, well, you see he was at the bar the night Kiddo came running to me. I imagine it was quite disorienting, considering Kiddo was dating his son at the time, and I think he may have thought I was taking advantage of her.

I follow Aquafina, and brush some salt off my sleeve. "You did say quickly my dear, correct? I would hate to leave Rinso and your crew without water, after all."
  • Aqua laughs, "Yeah, okay. Water for the troops, then food for me, then." She pulls open the screen door and heads into Logitech's. Tech knew you were here, he's already rifling through papers to head out and check over the cargo. He stands when he sees Aqua walk in, then hitches a step when he sees you.

"Hey Aquafina, darling. Hello, Jack." He says the first with a smile, the last more neutral.

Aqua says, "They're Wendys east of Salt now, Tech. We got attacked going to and coming back. They ripped the gate offa my truck, man. We lost a crate."

Tech grunts, then moves past you out to check over what did make it. Aqua follows, I assume you do, too?

Looks like Tech and Aquafina have some chatting to do over the cargo. Tech's more upset about it than Aqua expected.

What do you do?
  • Well, yes... As I said, Logitech is a good man — I suspect he simply senses something on me. He wouldn't be the first...

Logitech's reaction is most unexpected, and I do indeed follow him out. Robin paints himself a Wendy; but I would be shocked if they, in fact, considered him to be one. I call out to Logitech as we walk, "this is a problem? Have they been striking many of your caravans?"
  • Logitech answers while opening a crate and marking down items inside, "Not east of Salt, no. But yeah, the road to Salt has had some trouble for a while now. It's dangerous."

He looks up at Aqua, "There's some good quality drek in here, Aqua. We lost the electronics, but there are some great seeds and potting soil in here." He seems surprised at that. "How did you manage this kind of trade with what we sent?"

Aquafina grins, and points to you, "Jack had an in with one of the merchants."

"Zat so?" Tech asks, looking to you.
  • I nod, "I ingratiated myself with him through professionalism in a separate matter. When he learned of my dependency on the convoy for a ride, he offered to buy them out in exchange for my services. It was the least I could do, really..."

Wendys moving further east, then? This is troubling... It seems I have to press further and further every year to avoid them.
  • edited December 2013
    Logitech stands up and walks over, extending a hand, "Well, I appreciate it, Jack. This trade will really help the community garden."

Aqua asks with some relief, "So we're good, 'Tech?" He nods. She grabs your arm again, "C'mon Jack. Hey Rinnie, catch us at Sprite's, kay?" He nods.
  • I take and shake the man's hand, "of course. If there's anything I can do for you..." I leave the sentence open for him to interpret, a small smile lifting the corners of my lips.

Of course, that handshake is short-lived, as Aqua is already pulling me over to Sprite's. I don't resist. "Are you that hungry my dear?" I joke, as we approach the establishment.
  • Aquafina snickers, "Free food is the best food, silly. And Butter Nut is the chef at Sprite's now!"

She leads you to one of the little cafe tables outside and you take a seat. After a minute or two, Butter Nut comes out. Does she know you, Jack?
  • I dare say it is difficult for people to not know each other in the flats — even though I am something of a recluse. As I said — I have been a great many places, and have been seen by a great many people. I simply do not speak to people very often. Butter Nut knows of me, I would imagine — and I know much of her, though we've never formally met. Her thoughts are refreshing, compared to the usual sludge one finds in a bar — albeit perhaps a bit preoccupied with lost loves.

I smile to Butter Nut as she approaches, and whisper to Aquafina, "I had no idea Butter Nut had taken over as chef. You certainly do have good taste, my dear." As you may have guessed at this point, I do appreciate a woman with rich taste — though I could likely stand to accept payment for a job if I'm going to travel with this lovely lady for an extended period of time.
  • Aquafina seems to think you're doing well enough to afford a meal together. Do you say anything?

Butter Nut smiles, "Hello Aqua! Hi Jack! You guys just get in town? I can see the road dust on you." Her tone is light, like she has no problem with you guys coming in straight from the road. In fact, she takes it as a compliment. "How are you two?"

"I'm good," Aquafina says. "Picked up Jack on the way to Oasis, he really helped out. And now... he's buying me lunch!"

Butter Nut giggles, and looks at you, Jack. "How are you, Jack"
  • All this praise... You'd think I was some kind of hero. I bow my head when Butter Nut approaches, and smile amiably. "I am well, thank you. Aqua tells me you're the Chef here — what have you been dying to make, my dear?"
  • Without batting an eyelash, she answers, "Roasted butternut squash with kale and almond pecan parmesan. I found the recipe when I was a kid in an old magazine Fox had. I've been looking for the ingredients and substitutes ever since. I mean, it's gotta be my dish. It has MY NAME in it!"

Aquafina snickers at her enthusiasm, which does not seem fake in the least.
  • Well, that is somewhat disappointing, as I take it to mean she doesn't have the ingredients here... "What are you missing from it, my dear? Aqua and I have something of an expanded network of trade, you might say... Combined with the new agricultural supplies we rode in with today, perhaps we could help you find it all."
  • edited November 2013
    She shrugs, "You won't believe me... but butter nuts." Aquafina dissolves into giggles, and Butter Nut actually pooches out her lower lip for a minute, then giggles with her, "It's the stupidest thing, I know!"

Aqua backs you up, "We'll look around for it. Hell, maybe Proper has a dish of them. I swear that man has his fingers in every damn pie up north. Or Duncan down in Wal-Mart, he's got whole buildings full of stuff."

Butter Nut grins, "You two are so sweet... listen, you wanna try my dish without the butter nut squash? It's still pretty great. I mean, Sprite would want you to order food off the menu to pay for, too. But the kale and stuff would be my treat!"

Aquafina nods excitedly.

What do you do?
  • I quirk a smile back at her as she admits to never having found a butter nut squash. It is something of a coincidence, to be sure. I look over to Aqua as she assures Butter Nut we'll look for some, and agree to try the dish as is. "Whatever you suggest from the menu will be fine, my dear. We will of course appease Sprite."

I lean back in my chair, and look out over the thoroughfare of Boomtown for a moment before returning my attention to Aqua. "I suppose we could try up north — since we'll be going there anyway. Rinso apparently cannot approach Walmart anymore..."
  • "Frak Walmart. Frak it in its boxy ear. I hate that place anyways." Aquafina says. She's sitting in her chair with her right foot planted on the seat, knee up by her face. She rests her chin on it and asks, "So.... Jack. Are we riding together for a bit now?" The tone has a certain weight to it. And a little trepidation.
  • Well! Such a colourful metaphor...

I watch her as she pulls her knee up to her face, and rests her chin on it. "Riding together" — I had not really considered the thought, really. I normally just go where the wind takes me — I travel with people from time to time, but the nature of my being with people means that, without the proper precautions, I eventually hurt people...

I smile back at her, "I do enjoy moving, my dear, and it seems you do as well. If you'll have me, then I'd be pleased to ride with you." I pause a moment, and slide a hand over to brush her cheek, "you'll tell me if I get boring, won't you? I don't enjoy overstaying my welcome — but I am happy to deal with troubles as they arise, as they say." Depending on what she has in mind, we may have some troubles to discuss sooner rather than later.
  • Aquafina looks at you, then as the food arrives, she glances up into the sky like she's pondering an extremely difficult choice. "Wellll, I guess I'll have you." She grins, then drops her leg to the ground and turns to scoot in to the table and starts eating the couscous and rice dish she ordered. What did you get?
  • I smile back at her, and return my hand to the table. "Then I suppose I'll stick around."

Butter Nut brings out an impressive sandwich made from whole roasted chickens, brined, slow roasted, pulled, and seasoned with thyme, lemon zest, olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. She created a sauce she calls "Baconaise", and topped the mixture with Brie on a buttery white, wheat-free bun.

It is heavenly.
  • Halfway through the meal, Aquafina snickers. Its one of those, things strike you funny when you mouth is full snickers, and she holds a hand over her mouth right away. She gulps down some water, then says, "Damn, Jack. I wish I'd seen a look like that on your face that night at Oasis." She grins, which makes her eyes twinkle a little, then she reaches across the table to playfully slap your arm, "Just joking around, don't go into a minute-long speech about how pretty I am, kay? So, the sandwich is good?"

As she's making small-talk about the food, you see someone you haven't seen in a while. It's Kia. She's with Pilgrim Knealknit. How does Kia know you, Jack?
  • It's frightening how well the lady knows me — I had already begun forming some sort of a rebuttal, if you will, to that remark. "What if I keep it under the 30 second mark, my dear?" That's when I spot Kia, and my heart sinks.

Kia...

You see, there's a reason I tried to get Aqua to wear those earbuds... Kia was the unfortunate lady to experience what happens when I lose control in the heat of passion.
  • Aquafina's brows furrow when you trail off. She looks around to follow your gaze.

And yes, Kia sees you. She was in the middle of a conversation with Pilgrim Knealknit and then she sees you. She stops walking towards you, just staring at you like you're some monster. She blinks a few times, and Knealknit notices Kia's stopped moving, and turns to her. The two start talking, Kia looking away, then Knealknit looking over at you, and she doesn't look happy. She looks "protective angry".

Aquafina asks quietly, "Do we, ah, need to leave, Jack?"
  • Ok, well, there's no need to believe Kia remember—no ... no, it seems she does... Well then... That's a discouraging look...

I bite my lip, worried, and look back to Aquafina; hoping if I ignore them, they'll go away. "I might... I suspect they won't have a problem with you staying." ... That woman looks as if she might murder me ... "If they make you uncomfortable, my dear, then I am prepared to leave. I have no intention of speaking to them."
  • edited November 2013
    Aquafina looks back at them, then to you. She says, "I'm not giving up my free food so easy."

Knealknit and Kia come over. Knealknit says with a clipped tone, "You are Jack, right?" Kia's a step behind her, not hiding exactly. Knealknit is wearing a pistol in a holster, a nice silvery 9mm automatic. Kia isn't armed, at least not obviously.

What do you do?
  • I take a deep breath, and look down at my food as they approach. I understand why Kia would fear me... I would fear me, were I in her position. I nod when Knealknit addresses me, "yes, I am."

I take a sip of my water, and make sure both of my hands are visible. "I'm glad to see you're well, Kia."
  • "Pilgrim Kia is my sister in faith." Knealknit says in a level tone. "If you hurt her again, I will kill you."

"Knealknit! Cool it! I can fight my own battles." Kia says quickly, like she didn't expect a throwdown.

Aquafina turns in her seat, "You know, the Libs are supposed to keep things civil here, and I sure as frak think they outnumber you and your little handful of Pilgrims. Should I feel threatened here?"

"You should not. HE should. I've got my eyes on you... Jack." Knealknit says this, then walks away. Kia spends a second torn between saying something or going. She follows. She doesn't look apologetic, just unsure if she should talk trash as well, or what. But she leaves.

What do you do?
  • I look up to Knealknit with a calm, level look and raise my hands to show some form of surrender. For religious figures intended to represent the old gods, the Pilgrims are certainly violent creatures.

I look to Aquafina, obviously a little uneasy. This is a conversation which, it would appear, simply will not wait. "I will not lie about my past, my dear. If you have questions, know that I will answer them truthfully."
  • Aquafina waits for them to leave, then looks over at you, "Well, what's that bitch's deal?"
  • ... How to go about this tactfully. Is there even a way to approach the subject without sounding crazy? I will not lie about my past, but that's not to say I'm not ashamed of it.

"I'm not sure what you've heard of me, my dear," I begin, taking another drink of water, "but I suspect you've heard the rumors... About how I know things people barely know about themselves... Well... Some of them are partly correct." I pause a moment, "others less so."

I recall that moment out on the balcony, when Aqua wanted to reach out to me... To trust me... I suppose this will put that trust to the test. "I hear things, which often are quite representative of a person's innermost thoughts. When I am intimate with someone, I am less able to control the extent to which I reach out. In Kia's case, I was inexperienced, and naive. I harmed her."

I scratch my temple, and casually lean back in my chair. "It is, in part, why I withdraw from intimacy, and hide behind my words. With some assistance, I've managed to devise some protection from my abilities," I fumble to produce my headphones, "which is why I suggested you listen to my music that night in Oasis. I don't want to harm anyone — but of course, I am human..."

A red-blooded one at that.
  • Aquafina blinks, "That's why you tried to get me to wear those damn things?" She sits back, stunned to silence. "But how did you harm her? Some kind of crazy headache or... or something else?" Her eyes are wide now, nostrils flaring. She's a little scared, drawing in to herself. Her bravado is showing cracks.
  • A headache would likely be an understatement, I imagine... I shift uncomfortably. "Her nose bled, and she seized for a few moments... It was terrifying from both our perspectives, to say the least... I had never experienced such a thing before, and frankly I hope to never experience it again."

I look over to her, leaving her some distance for the moment. People tend to shy away from my touch , you see, when they learn about me...
  • edited November 2013
    OOC: Reading Aquafina. Roll+Weird. +1XP
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 14)
  • OOC: Holding 3.
    Q1: How can I get Aquafina to relax?
  • She nods, numbly, still processing. "Seized? Like... like a fit?"

Get her drunk, that would work for a short term fix. Give her some time alone, but set up a time to meet later, use some excuse that is socially acceptable.
  • I will not get her drunk! I won't stop her from drinking on her own, but I could not simply push her to forget what she's learned... It would be unjust of me.

I nod somberly, "Yes — like a fit. It came after the fact, though it seemed like she was under some duress while... Well... In any case..." I sigh, and sleek a strand of hair back behind my ear. "My dear... If you would like some time alone to reflect, I have some business I could take care of on behalf of Rinso. I would just as soon stay here, but I understand how this does not exactly put me in a good light..."

I take another sip of my water, and scratch at some stubble, "we should meet tonight... If only to discuss the possibility of you transporting Rinso and I North... Or just Rinso, should you so desire... I will not force you into anything, my dear."

OOC:
    Q2: What does Aquafina intend to do?
  • edited November 2013
    She takes a breath and holds it, then after a moment, lets it out through her nose, holds up a hand, "No, Jack, don't go. I'm sorry, its just... I hear about people who can do stuff to your head, you know? Like... bad stuff." She swallows, "I try not to listen to drek rumors and all, but still, it's scary."

Aquafina glances down at the food, "Let's finish this really good food, no reason to let it go to waste. Then I'll see about scoring up some haul north and you help Rinso with whatever. We'll meet up tonight."

She intends on trying to give you a chance to prove her wrong about you. But the intimacy thing, that really scares her. Sex is probably off the table. For a while.
  • edited November 2013
    She needs not speak the name of the "people" she's heard of. I know only of three others: The first was my estranged father, who I'm told traveled west the moment he learned of my existence. The second a lazy waste of air who resided here for a short time, using his powers like some cheap party trick to get into the pants of unsuspecting women. The third... Branigans.

The name conjures a slew of terrible emotions in me. He was the first man I ever met with abilities similar to my own... His reckless disregard for his subjects is loathsome, and his sick mind all but makes his presence intolerable! I am nothing like that man... I am nothing like any of them! I do not want to be scary... I want to be normal. The thought of being some monster to Aquafina turns my stomach.

She offers to keep eating with me, and a glimmer of hope spreads across my face. I nod again, offering a sincere smile. "It is really good food... It's a shame there are not more people as talented as Butter Nut in the flats — but then, I suppose there is merit to being one of a kind."

OOC:
    Q3: How can I get Aquafina to accept me?
  • Aquafina pauses before taking another bite to say, "Yeah. There is that. One of a kind."

She thought she'd accepted you, but now she sees it wasn't the whole you. It'll take some time for her to relax about it. She isn't angry, just scared another skeleton resides in your closet. Probably best not to say any more about that, of course.

Once she puts things to rest with Luster Lock, she'll reassess things. If nothing changes from now to then, she will accept you.
  • --END SCENE--