[Junk XIII] Family Dinner (J 6-2)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

You went back with Sweet T and the Happy Meal tribe to their dwelling, which is a cluster of mobile homes around a small pond. Word of your return, the prodigal son, must have spread, because by the afternoon, most of the tribe has come in from hunting to see you.

There are three people in crow's cages, beaten and bloody, barely alive. They hang from Weeping Willow, the crane that Sweet T and Ronnie stole once. Were you involved with that? How did it shake out?

Cookie has gathered the tribe together to eat at the red and yellow picnic tables by the pond. The tribe eats "family style", which means the food is in buckets and everyone grabs what they want from each bucket to put on their plate. Or, you know, eat from the bucket.

You're sitting across from Sweet T and beside his main girl Bluebury Muffins. She's quite "touchy feely". You feel her hand on your thigh, and you're rather sure she has her foot rubbing Sweet T's crotch under the table. She's all smiles and stares between the two of you, doesn't talk much.

This is Bluebury Muffins:
Bluebury Muffins

"You eating, Jack?" Your mother says as she comes out of her trailer to join you. The buckets on the table are rib bones and finger foods, a mix of meat, mostly animal.

This is a pic of your mother, Apple:
Apple

What do you do?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    The crane... When I was younger, I was told by the other members of my "Family" that we weren't welcome at places like Salt, or Cat... That people "like us" were largely shot on sight. I didn't know, at the time, that they meant people wearing the paint. I thought they meant people who hear voices. People like me.

I would spend hours in the brush just outside these towns watching people work, and play... I would come home, exhausted and overstimulated, and recount my findings to all who would listen. Most people here had very little interest in my observations of people... But Ronnie and Sweet T – they were most interested in my stories of the things I saw in the villages... Not a day after telling them of the Crane did I find it sitting outside our little hamlet. That was the last time I told them my stories.

The place looks almost entirely unchanged... There are some new knick-knacks here and there, to be sure; but for the most part, I could tell you where each and every member resides. The age difference, however... That takes some getting used to... Bluebury was 12 when I left. Even now, I'm uncomfortable being handled by her. I gently brush her hand away, respectfully of course, and stare at the food – my ability to pick the animal meat from the "other meat" has waned significantly... I'd sooner not eat than risk choosing incorrectly.

My mother's voice sends a chill down my spine. After all these years, it's as though I never left. I suppose to my mother – who has kept the same routine every day, perhaps her entire life – it might seem like I never did. I shake my head, "I ate on the road," I answer calmly.
  • Apple sits on the other side of you, her hand on your back. She sits sideways on the bench, facing you, leaning her face in close, "You look strong, Jack. The road has treated you well. Are you glad to be alive?"
  • I don't move an inch when she touches me. I don't even react. Has the road treated me well? I left here all those years ago, afraid, hungry, and poor... Now I return – poor in body and mind, but rich in spirit. Hungry for the companionship of someone who accepts me. Afraid of what I might do to such a person.

Yes, I suppose the road has given me a great deal. Perspective. "I am." I have no idea what to say to this woman... It isn't like I can explain the past 8 years to her over supper.
  • edited November 2013
    Apple reaches over to grab a piece of a rib, takes a bite off of it, then lays it on the table. Her hand is still on your back, Jack, softly scratching your back, like she did when you were much younger, "I missed having you around, Jack. I missed your stories. What brought you home?"
  • Sweet T brought me home, if you want to get specific... Responding with cheek is probably not the smartest idea though. "I was helping people," I answer truthfully, "when we ran into Sweet T's trench." I look to Sweet T, "the fates decided that a family reunion was in order — and so here I am." I omit the part about Aquafina's look of terror, and Rinso's cluelessness... I pray they walk fast.

I shift a little to try and make myself more comfortable — but it sends a shot of pain up my side where my rib hurts, and I gradually settle back into my original position. "Have you been well? It seems you've had a plentiful season..."
  • Apple stops scratching your back when you wince. "T said you were in a wreck. You need Grimace to look you over?"

On recent events, she says, "Ronnie and Cobb took over Hamburglar's tribe, so we aren't fighting over the same roads anymore. Little Robin took some castoffs and went east, so we haven't had to keep them fed. It's been good."

She takes up the rib, which is cooked, dripping a bit of sauce or, or something. Takes another bite.

What do you do?
  • I shake my head, "there's nothing to be done... I'll mend, and time will be my healer." Grimace was never the best doctor to begin with... Just the most experienced with cuts and breaks.

Ronnie and Cobb took over for Hamburglar? Ronnie always did strike me as a leader... Or rather, someone who didn't take orders. I hang my head at the mention of Robin, "I ran into him, too — with the same people, coincidentally — I believe we all walked away from that little scrape."

I take a sidelong glance of my mother, and quietly ask, "have you heard from Frosty since she left for Hamburglar... Ronnie's camp?"
  • "Robin's still around?" Sweet T butts in. "We heard he trolled up north and some gaggle of lesbians on bikes killed him and his off!"

Apple answers the last question sadly, "Frosty... Frosty finally got pregnant. But then she lost the baby.... it's been a rough year for her."
  • edited November 2013
    A gaggle of lesbians? ... Could that be the Candy Bars? I wasn't aware they'd started roving up North. I'd heard rumors of their activity near Boomtown, of course, but not up North. Of course, it has been a while since I've been up there... "He is East, out in the wastes between Cat and Oasis. His people are organized, but a bit quick to abandon the chase when faced with bullets — I'll admit that survival instinct likely saved all our lives."

My heart sinks for Frosty when I hear of her lost child... She would have made a good mother, if not for her unfortunate tendency to delude herself in times of strife. A good coping mechanism is something you desperately need to survive out here. "That's... That's most unfortunate." I'm silent a while... It's such an odd sensation being here — among family, and yet feeling so completely alien to them.

I fall into old habits, perhaps as an attempt to reach out to them... "Is there anything you need?"
  • Your mother leans in to say low, not whispering, but showing respect, "We need a breeder, Jack."

Sweet T grins while munching on some slop, "Yeah, little bro. We got three girls who are ready."

What do you do?
  • It boggles my mind how these people insist on making such a fanfare of their breeding rites. "Ready" they say. These girls that are "ready" — as if they could be prepared for parenting children in such a trying environment — I fear for them. How is it there isn't a single breeder among this tribe, that they'd need outside help... As if they would "ask", or let some poor soul they dragged in from the road go after the fact.

I take a shallow breath, and cross my hands on the table... The only male breeder I know nearby is Rinso, and the man is in no shape to be dragged back here — not after what he's been through. "I don't know any personally," I lie, "though I can't rightly speak for myself... I'm plagued with a condition that makes intimacy ... potentially dangerous. I try to avoid it whenever I can."
  • Bluebury removes the hand that had crept near your thigh again with that info drop. Apple scoots a little closer, though. She's looking at you intently, "Don't dance around it, Jack. Do you hurt them... with your mind? Like your dad did? Is that how it goes for you?"

Sweet T is losing interest. He grabs a plate and rises, heads over to feed the people in the cage. Or more like, taunt them with food they probably won't eat. If one of them does, they might be a new recruit, of course. Maybe.
  • I turn immediately, shocked at this revelation... I suppose I shouldn't be shocked — she is my mother, after all — but that she could infer such a thing so easily... My father was like this as well? ... Did he hurt my mother? I've heard some uncomfortable things from the women I've been with — I wonder if his abilities had some effect on her... If she was different before she met him, and he somehow broke her.

I fear this, because I don't want to do that to the women I've been with... They deserve better than what she got.

I nod, still surprised, "Yes... When I am not careful. I've developed a countermeasure, but they do not always agree to use it." I look at her urgently, "Did he hurt you?"
  • Your mother reaches a hand up to smooth some hair over your ear, and she says softly, "Yes, Jack. Your father hurt me sometimes." She laughs a little hissing laugh, "Nowhere near as bad as you hurt me, though. You were a frakking huge baby." She looks at you with soft eyes, and while your mother doesn't smile, its as close as she comes.

Her hand slides from your face down your back again, rests between your shoulder blades, "It wasn't so bad, and I knew what I was in for, baby. He never hid who he was, he never made up counter anything. He didn't need any of that. Neither do you. I didn't know if he bred true or not, and I didn't want to get your hopes up. But it turns out, he did."
  • edited November 2013
    I swallow hard... That they would be so casual about the risk is something I could never do. And getting my hopes up? This "breeding" has been more a curse than a blessing to me! I don't know what to say... I wish I'd have known before Kia. There is one thing I'm certain of though... I should have been upfront with the women I've been with.

I sigh, and relax a bit at her softened expression. I am too harsh a judge on my mother — and I have not been kind to her. I cannot stay here, but I owe it to her to be better than I have. "I'm sorry I hurt you," I say lowly, "I've done a great deal of harm with this... "gift" father's given me. I don't want to hurt people... I cannot live with myself when I do."

• Apple raises an eyebrow at your apology, "Don't say sorry to me, Jack. The road wanted you, and now you're back."

She points a finger to your heart, "The gift you have is no curse. When I lay with your father, sometimes it would hurt. But most of the time, it brought us closer. He could see my soul, Jack. He knew my pains, my real pains, and he taught me how to overcome them. No man can do that. Just him. And you. You need to accept what you are. And love those who accept you, too."
  • edited November 2013
    I am speechless... Who would have thought that such wisdom could come from my mother. The sad thing, though, is that road still wants me... Though I've clearly not given this place the consideration I thought I had. These people do accept me for who I am, in spite of the fact that I am not like them.

... The "monsters" Aquafina referred to that night in Oasis — "Them" — I realize are something of a construct of my own expectations. The expectations of people who fear us. Perhaps I've been going about this the wrong way — maybe I should find someone who doesn't fear the Wendys.

I look to my mother again, and realize I must be honest with her... "I don't belong here, mother. I could never wear the paint as you do — but if you would have me, from time to time, I would not like to stay away as I have before..."
  • Apple looks at you for what feels like a long time before she answers. There's a touch of sad acceptance in her eyes, but only her eyes. The rest of her face is covered by the paint. "Son. Go where the road takes you. Be only as you are. All else is weakness and death." She puts a hand over yours and squeezes it for a moment in silence.

The rest of the Wendys have long finished eating. Some are working on their bikes, others have gone out hunting again. Apple takes you on a walk around the camp, re-introducing you to members who were here before you left. Most of them give you nods only, others stare, but Apple doesn't seem to care.

There's a handful of young ones circled up, a pair of them fighting. They've hit the ground now, rolling around. The kids standing in the circle are yelling and cursing at the two fighters, urging them on. Jack, do they fight to the blood? Or do they fight until one gives?

Apple watches, even though her view is obscured by distance and the other kids. She says, "Jack. The road brought you to us now when we need a breeder. Will you help us? You get your pick. Bluebury is one of them. And Parfait, too, you remember her? Last one's real young, doesn't wear the paint. She's called Ranch."

Were you close with Parfait before you left?

What do you do?
  • This woman is stronger than any I've met in a long time... How did I not see that before? I suppose it doesn't matter. I follow her along the camp, trying to remember the names of faces before my mother can remind me of them — ultimately it didn't matter. People here are instinctively insular — not unlike myself, I suppose, in a certain way. I don't flinch when I see the two children rolling around — they won't kill each other. It is something of a code, and a rite of passage. It is part of why I didn't like being in the camp... I was never much good in a fight.

Parfait and I... I suppose you might say we were close, but not in the way you might expect. When my gift finally presented itself, I struggled to be near her. Her mind has always been chaotic, but hearing it — the screaming highs and lows — it can be frightening, if you allow yourself to play empath. One minute she loves you, and the world is fantastic — the next, she hates you and the world is ending... Er, again.

I could not bring myself to take a young woman such as Ranch... she was only a child when I left. I consider offering Bluebury a child, if it would please Sweet T for sparing Aqua and Rinso... But she recoiled at the mention of my gift, and I would not force such stresses on someone. "Is Sweet T looking for a child?" I ask, haphazardly, "if it would please him, I could try with Bluebury... If not, then I can offer myself to Parfait."
  • Apple nods, as if you've made the decision, "Sweet T needs a child, if only to show him a reflection of his own error so he can grow stronger. Bluebury is afraid of your power, but she is strong, she will submit for the Wendys, and she wants a child." She looks at you with a serious expression, "Parfait still speaks of you. If you want, my son, you can lie with both. It would help make sure the seed takes. And imagine if both bred true?" She says the last as if that would be a great omen.
  • The thought of bringing two more people like me into the world is... Worrisome... But I know as well as any other the odds of the seed taking.

I can't believe I'm going to do this...

"I would hate to come all the way home, and leave you without a little something for your hospitality..."
  • Your mother laughs her little hissing laugh, "You were always such a talker, Jack. So clever." She puts a hand on your bicep. She squeezes it lightly, and it feels like a mix of affection and testing the strength of the muscle within.

"You've been hurt. In the wreck. Do you want to take the root for the pain?" She asks quietly, this is something offered to warriors, not normally bedmates. "There is no reason for it to hurt you, son."
  • I huff a pained laugh when she calls me clever, and raise an eyebrow in surprise when she offers me the root. To be honest, I'm tempted to take it... At least it would make this experience bearable.

"That sounds like a good idea..."
  • Jack, please go here.