[SWAW] Kestic [Kelb S2]

edited December 2013 in SWAW
The flight back to Kestic was a quiet one. The miners waited patiently in their corner of the ship. Jazz stayed far the hell away from them, opting to work quietly at the co-pilot's chair. Squall manned the comms, and Burr watched Pem in the back. It's early in the morning when you dock at Kestic — 0640, about 9 hours after departure to be specific.

The docking bay you've landed in is quiet. Your crew is gathering up their affairs and getting ready to take some shore leave. A crew of gearheads has emerged to do maintenance on the T-2c. The main Gearhead, a Corellian named William, approaches you. "Kilborn, right? How was the trek? Did my shuttle treat you right?"

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I know William from Pem's notes. I offer my hand, "You can call me Kelb. Your shuttle is a dream, William. I really love her. I hope to find another job just so I have an excuse to take her out again." I offer him my usual lop-sided grin.

The refugees, we let them off. I'm pretty cold to them, reminding them that if they ever decide to speak up about what happened on that asteroid, that they've made trouble for me and my team and I will hunt them down. I don't apologize, because it would only sound insincere. And really, I'm not sorry for them.

Once we've settled up, I'm going to file a report with Qorbin's corp, itemizing the costs for the travel, supplies used, anything we burned up doing the job. Then, I'll throw in a price for "services rendered" which equates to one cred per team member. It's steep, but it isn't a "blank check" rip-off. I imagine he'll either balk and I back off, or he pays. Of course, he might agree to pay and then leave me hanging. That's another reason for the bump in price, in case I have to pay someone else to collect. Ill file all that away for the next stop, where we meet with Pem's ex-buddy and finish this up.

If my crew is enjoying shore leave, I might as well, too.
  • William smiles, "well it looks like you treated her right — I'm thankful for that, cause Pem doesn't have the most stellar record for bringing back shuttles in pristine condition, you know? Just be sure to come and talk to me if you need it again!" He lets you go without further issue.

Most of the expenses you had were incidental, but the medical kit expenses, and Pem's armor? Those were real. The actual expense of maintaining your team is a bit less than that — you could easily toss them one cred for the next couple jobs, and they'd be happy. Then there's your cut — which is a bit higher than everyone else's. You are the leader of this little merc crew, after all. All in, you receive a credit stick with 6-creds that same day, no questions asked. It even had a little message,

"I look forward to doing business with you in the future.
    -Q"

After re-stocking your med-kit (presuming you do), and getting Pem's armor repaired, you're looking at a solid 3-credit profit for yourself. Nothing to sneeze at.

Of course, those miners? They're bitter as kriff about what happened to them back there, and you dumped them here with no money. They won't hit you up for creds, most of them too proud to accept such generosity from the people who killed their friends, but that's up to you.
  • I looking for Jazz. I need to let him yell at me. I'm not avoiding him.
  • You find Jazz in a bar called "The Station" — it's a hole in the wall that reeks of smoke, and ale. He's smoking a deathstick, and drinking some pretty hard liquor.

"Hey Kelb," he says, a little drunk already, "why don't you have a sit, yeah?" He turns and looks at you, a little annoyed, "or do you not like doing things once I've asked you to?"
  • edited December 2013
    I grab the stool beside him and tap the bar for the bartender to come over. I'm facing him, not the bartender. "Yeah, I know. I messed up, Jazz. I shouldn't have asked for your advice, then dissed you." I put my hand on his shoulder and squeeze a little, "I'm sorry, Jaster Ordo, my closest and bestest and handsome-est friend." I grin, because I'm giving him "the cute eyes".

See, he once flinched when we were on some forest moon, I can't recall where. We ran into these cute fuzzballs, maybe a meter high, and he saw their eyes and hesitated. I don't know why, maybe as a kid he had a toy that looked like them, or a pet maybe? We ended up running for a lives from a pack of the little growling things, they were throwing rocks and stuff at us. They mate like crazy, it turns out. It was a horde of them, no lie.

I'm hoping "the cute eyes" will either get him to cool down and laugh about it, or he'll blow up on me, read me the riot act like I actually deserve, then we can get past it. Either way, I get what I want.
  • Jazz grimaces and lazily bumps your hand off his shoulder. "Flattery," he says, pointing at you with a squint that is probably supposed to be serious, "will get you nowhere, Kelborn Vizsla of Mandalore." The facade breaks, and he smirks, "Except everywhere."

He reaches over and grabs his drink, "I suppose we got paid then? Mister proper was all happy we gave him his pebble back?"

The bartender comes over and gives you a nod.
  • edited December 2013
    I laugh at Jazz's joke. It's not the first time he's made it. Its a comfortable kind of joke.

"I'll take what pretty boy is having," I say as I take Jazz's death stick out of his hands and suck down a puff. "We got paid, and we might have more work from him down the road. The pebble is in his clean little hands."

I'm thankful he's being so nice about it. I was ready for yelling. I slide him his pay, and order the next round. "You have any plans for the night, Jazz? I'll be your wingman, if you want me."
  • Jazz shakes his head, "No plans. No wingman necessary." He looks over to you, "I've got a hot date." He raises his glass in a mock-toast, and takes a sip. "What're you up to? Not hoping to slum it with me, I hope — 'Cause I don't do hot threesomes ... Well, not after last time." He shudders a bit, and takes another stiff drink.
  • "Hot date? Anyone I know?" I say as I meet his toast. I'm grinning, so glad this fight was brief. Now, of course, I've got no plans myself. "Oh, I'm sure I'll find something to amuse me, don't you worry about me."

Oh the threesome joke. Yeah, that was a good one. He thought he was going to hook up with a pair of Nabooan sisters, but it turned out when Ma'Kara said "her twin", she meant "her twin brother", which is pretty weird. Yeah, I know. Jazz isn't as open-minded as I am about sexuality, but even I think incest is pretty abhorrent. I mean, I wouldn't sleep with two brothers, but I guess somehow twin girls is quite alright for Jazz. Whatever.
  • Jazz smiles when you ask if you know the date, but doesn't answer. It's hard to tell whether he's just messing with you, or he's actually got a date tonight that you would recognize. "I know you will, Kelb. You always land on your feet, I guess... Or your back." He winks playfully, "What'd your old man say? It's an old Vizsla tradition?"
  • I give him my patented withering stare for a moment, but I can't hold it. The bartender delivers my drink, and I down a big gulp. "I think I've broken quite enough of their traditions already, don't you?"

We'll sit together for a couple drinks and talk about some old times before I feel like I can take off without being rude. I clap him on the back, "Have fun with your hot date, Jazz." Then, without thinking about it, I lean in and kiss his temple.

Yeah, after that, I'd better head on. I want to check in on Squall. I wonder if that Zeltronian is still around for her to fawn over.
  • That sobered Jazz up lickety-kriffing-split. You have him so speechless he doesn't even say goodbye. And before he can say anything else, you're already heading off for Squall. ..

Squall is back at the hotel in the main stretch of the station, where you always rent your rooms. It's run by an ex-clone trooper, affectionately named "14" — why do you trust this guy? Squall's in her room, lying on her bed in her casuals, browsing the cortex for whatever happens to catch her eye. She's sharing her room with Burr, who is out drinking — again. She looks up at you briefly when you come in the room, her focus not really wandering from her datapad.

"What's up, Kelb?" she says cheerily.
  • Why do I trust Fourteen? When Jazz and I were bouncing around from bad job to worse job, he offered me a spot on his crew. See, he ran a merc team himself, back in the day. I learned most of what I know about the business. The guy isn't very socialized, or polite, but he knows his work, and I feel like I owe him. He retired, something I wouldn't mind doing someday. If there's anything I end up enjoying more than this job. So far, haven't found it. But I'm sure it's out there.

Oh Squall, you adorable little geek, you. "Hey Squall, nothing much. Wanted to check in, see how you're doing. See if you wanted to talk or anything." Yes, this is unusual. I've meant to drop by and, I don't know, hang out, or chat or something. I guess I figured she wouldn't last long enough for the effort to pay off. But she's actually not too shabby. So here I am.
  • She smiles, and closes what she was looking at, throwing the datapad on the nightstand beside her. She pulls herself up into sitting cross legged, and straightens up. "Sure!" She's chipper as ever, "I was just browsing the feeds for something interesting to kill time. Did you wanna go out, or something?"
  • edited December 2013
    I try to match her natural smile, it's pretty much impossible. "Yeah, let's." I'm dressed in a sleeveless shirt and a sleek pair of synth-leather pants, my blaster on my gunbelt, and my really sexy boots. Everyone loves my boots.

"What do you like to do for fun, Squall?" I ask. Is she getting dressed or anything? "I mean, off the datapad. No offense."
  • Dressed up? No. Not unless you suggest it. She's in her casual clothes — a purple top, and loose-fitting black pants. She's comfortable. "Fun? Well, other than the datapad? ... Hrm... Well, I like a good live performance as much as the next Rattataki. There's a decent guy playing in Deck 21 a little later, if you're into the synthetic stuff."

Are you into music, Kelb?
  • No, I'm not into music, not really. Well, that's not entirely true. I love good music. I just don't follow bands or get into arguments about which music is better than the rest or stuff like that. I spend an inordinate amount of time at clubs and bars. Its partially due to the clients who hire my team, and also because the only friends I have spend most of their free time there. I hear lots of music. I mostly enjoy the emotion of the music, whether it matches my mood, or influences me to a different mood. Right now, I just want to do what Squall wants, follow her lead.

"That sounds fun, Squall." I say with a grin, "Should I leave my gunbelt here, you think?"
  • Squall giggles, "Oh yeah, you've never been to one of my kinds of concerts, have you?" She shakes her head, "no... Best leave the gunbelt on. Deck 21 is a little rowdy."

How do you feel about that?
  • Really surprised? Is she not quite the little dainty flower I pegged her for, or is she talking trash? Either way is pretty amusing. My grin finally becomes a bit more natural and I relax. Was I tense before? I hadn't noticed, but yeah, I think I was.

"I like rowdy." I say finally. "Lead on, I'm dying to check out one of your concerts, Squall." This is going to be fun.
  • Squall smiles and leads you out into the station. "You won't regret this Kelb!"

The trip down to the lower levels takes a while, and it's a bit warmer down here than you'd expect. It's probably why Squall's in her comfort clothes. She brings you to a bar in the center of the station that spans three decks. It's got a stage in the middle, with a few people up top doing some checks, a glass dance floor, and a bar on the lower levels that's filled with a bunch of younger people in very "punk" getup. The neon lights flood the room with color, and the music playing while the band sets up is surprisingly catchy.

"Ever been to an underground concert?" Squall asks, all giddy.
  • This is pretty interesting. It also makes me feel old, which is weird because I think I'm Squall's age, more or less. I feel overdressed, too.

"No, Squall," I say, leaning closer to talk into her ear. It's pretty loud. "This is completely new to me. Show me around?" I'll follow her around, if there are "sites to see". If not, and we just dance, then I'll do that.
  • Squall takes you around the bar. The three levels are relatively well segregated. The bottom level is, as I mentioned the bar. It's got a big round server's area in the middle, and some tables surrounding it. You can look up to the glass ceiling, and watch people dancing above. It's clearly designed for perverts looking to check out women who don't think to wear pants.

The atmosphere down there is very dark. The bar is very dangerous looking, surprisingly — the bartender is a Zabrak with many piercings. He looks like he's served time. There are some people in Bounty Hunter gear ordering drinks. It looks like they're on the prowl, actually — but they wouldn't want you spreading that around.

The mid-level is almost exclusively a dance floor, with the exception of the lift at the north side that leads up to the VIP area overlooking the whole bar. Squall's, "never been up there... It's too posh for my blood." Do you believe her?

Where do you settle once the tour's done?
  • edited December 2013
    I trail behind her, watching all the lights and the people drift by. There's a haze in places, some people are huffing at death sticks, and they remind me of Jazz. I scan the bounty hunters, recognize a couple of them,

Did I mention I took a couple bounties? Jazz and I were between teams. Fourteen had retired, and that Night Sister girl Cthonia took over and I just couldn't stand her or the way she ran "her team", so I quit. Before I built this team. Well, ugh, let me step back, since Jazz and I are all that's left of the first merc team I built. And no, they aren't all dead. Anyways, between Cthonia and the merc team, Jazz and I took on a couple bounties.

I have the utmost respect for any being who can make a decent living hunting bounties. There is so much back-stabbing and double-crossing over bounties, it's a miracle anyone survives it for a cycle! It's one of the reasons I someday hope to have Boba Fett's secret lovechild. No really, that man is amazing! Did I mention he's Mandalorian?

No, Boba isn't here. I do recognize the guy in the bandages, can't place his name right off. He's a mess. But spooky.

Moving on!

I think she might have been up there once, there's a certain way she looks up at the one-way glass like she's looking for someone. I let it go, she can gossip if she wants.

We end up on the mid-level. Dancing, that sort of two girls dancing together, but not "together" together. The protective way two girls can dance and have fun where if its just one of you, every guy in the place thinks you need them, just them, to walk up and make your night complete. Yeah, none of that, thank you.

That stuff Jazz was drinking is still flowing, and I'm still a tiny bit buzzed, so I'm getting into it, dancing with my girl Squall. Wait, no. You know what I mean.
  • Squall's been drinking too, enjoying herself for a while when the band finally gets up to perform. They play music that travels — it starts quiet and slow, then builds into a variety of different moods, as the songs progress. You've probably heard stuff like it — especially considering it uses some sampling from time to time — but for the most part, it's all new to you, and the energy never stops flowing.

The dance floor is full while the band plays. It's hard to know where people start and stop. Did anyone try and dance with you? Did you try and dance with anyone?
  • edited December 2013
    This music is close to what I've heard, just close enough to lure me in. The DJ, a Gran, is a magician, I tell you. The bass thumped so loud at times that I thought my feet were numb and I was gliding.

An Iktotchi male tried to wedge himself between Squall and I, and the only thing I could think to do was to dance closer to Squall for a bit, silently "claiming her". It worked, but then, I hope Squall saw what I was doing.

I danced for a few songs with a really hunky Falleen named Xad. I got his ident for later, he's hot. But I'm not here to hook up, so I stayed with Squall. I am determined to dance as long as she dances. Okay, maybe a little longer. What can I say? I'm a competitive girl. It's a thing.
  • Squall dances straight through to an intermission, of sorts, when the house lights come on, and the "less than stellar" filler music comes over the PA so the DJ can take a dump or something. Squall is flushed, and immensely invested in the evening... Until she spots that Twi'Lek staring at her with his buddies from across the room. She excuses herself, and heads downstairs for the bar.

What do you do?
  • How is the Twi'lek staring at her? Is he following her? Is he a threat? No, wait, no... he's probably someone she's into, right? Still. How many buddies? Is he armed? I'm heading a different direction, just off the floor, then I'll double back to tail him.
  • He's a guy in a crowd of five other mixed-species guys? he's kind of in the middle of them all, and you can't really make out whether he's armed here... The place is crowded.

The Twi'Lek is following her off the dance floor, down to the bar. Given how so many people are shuffling for the bar, it may be difficult to get to them before he gets to Squall.

What do you do?
  • If he were a threat, Squall would've said something. I'm guessing he's, at worst, an old boyfriend or something. I'll hang back. A part of me is secretly hoping for a fight. I wouldn't mind seeing what Squall can do against a live opponent, not one of those training holos she plays around with all the time.

I'll move towards the bar, but Squall is my priority.
  • You follow the flow, watching the group of guys make their way over to Squall. She looks really uncomfortable, and the five men have her largely cornered. At the moment, there are enough people between you that you can't make out what they're saying, but the Twi'Lek is acting really familiar with her... Squall is trying to push him away, but he's not having it.

Are you really going to let her take care of herself here?
  • So far, I am. She's a merc, not my little sister. If she hits the guy and his buddies jump in, then I'll wade in there. But right now, it looks like a domestic dispute, and she needs to stand up for herself. I've got her back.

This isn't fun, though.
  • Things escalate rather quickly and Squall moves to leave; but the Twi'Lek grabs her arm, and she slaps him. Hard. It may have been more akin to a right-hook; but Squall's not really a great fighter like you are, and her form is a little sloppy.

Anger flashes in the Twi'Lek's eyes, and he slaps her right back. Two of his friends grab her, and she spits in the Twi'Lek's face. You can hear them laughing. She's struggling against her captors — a Togruta and an Alderaanian — as they push her towards the bar. It looks like she might have had them for a second there, when she sends her head smashing into the Togruta's nose; but he redoubles his efforts, and he smashes her head onto a pair of shot glasses. You hear them shatter and crunch under her cheekbone.

Things are about to get ugly, and even if you were moving to intercept, it would have taken you at least this long to get to them.

What do you do?
  • Well, that did turn ugly fast. Silly girl, she should have given me a heads up. Like I said, I have her back.

I'd like to figure out why these idiots are on my teammate, though. I'm reading the sitch.
  • Reading Situation:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 2. Total: 8)
  • • what should I be on the lookout for?
  • Well, the bouncers were about to move in on the situation, but the Twi'Lek just nodded them off — like it was no big deal — and they obeyed. Did I mention this bar is owned by a rather well-off Twi'Lek family? He's probably part of that family... I'd watch out for that.
  • I'm moving up quick now, heading for the Twi'lek, "Hey! Hey you! Hands off my friend!"

My hand's near my blaster, but it isn't out. I don't want to shoot this guy and his friends. Wait, no, that's a dirty lie, I totally do. But I'm not gonna. I will beat him and his friends down, though. Squall, you owe me.

I'm moving closer to the Twi'lek, getting in his face. "If you've got a problem with Squall, you've got a problem with me."
  • Sounds like you're threatening this guy. Hit the dice if you agree.
  • I agree.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 6)
  • (burning bond with Squall)
  • edited December 2013
    Squall manages to get an elbow up into the Togruta's face again, splitting his nose open this time. He screams out in pain, and fights with Squall a moment to contain her, but she's slipped free... The Twi'lek's other men move in to help secure her, but this time you're there.

The Twi'Lek is a little surprized that someone would come to her defense, so suprised that he actually backs up a step when you get in his face; but he stands his ground once he realizes what's going on. He points over to the pair of men holding Squall down, and he says, "Let her go."

"Gunn'," the Togruta protests, his nose pouring blood, "this piece of Bantha Poodoo broke my kriffing nose! She kriffing killed Ar'vena!"

Gunn's face fills with annoyance, and he gives the Togruta a look that quickly shuts him up. "Stylo," he says calmly, "enough. We don't know she killed Ar'vena — you just think she did." He turns back to you, "Look, lady, I don't know who you are; but we're going to play ball here, ok? I'm warning you, though, if that blaster leaves your holster, you're going to be in a world of hurt."

What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    I resist answering this Twi'lek with, "Yeah, I'll be in a world of pain, and you won't, cause you'll be dead." So tempting. Jazz and I actually have trash talking contests sometimes, it's really fun. I don't play with Mr. Burr anymore, he's too good at it.

"I'm Kelborn. I take it you're Gunn, right?" My hand relaxes a bit, he's being civil for now. "Tell you what, I'll find out who killed Ar'vena for you, for a small fee."
  • Squall quickly shakes the arms trying to hold her down, and jumps over next to you. Gunn nods slowly, "that's right, I'm Gunn'sela." Does that name ring a bell for you, Kelb? He said it like it should. "And to be perfectly honest, I don't think you'll have to look much farther than your friend here." He points to Squall, "I was just being kind, implying we didn't know for sure — but you know what? I'm a little intrigued... Your friend here fled an official murder investigation that had her name written all over it. You prove her innocent, and I'll let this little thing slide. You find her killer, and I'll pay you more than a small fee."
  • I give him the "oh I see" look when he drops his name. No, I've never heard of this guy. But he does have some muscle, and some pull at this club, so I'll play it cool.

After a glance back to Squall to make sure she's alright, I nod, "We have a deal, Gunn'sela. I'll find out who killed Ar'vena. I won't be going through official channels, but I'll find out."

To Squall, "C'mon. Let's go." I firmly take her by the arm to lead her away, as much to direct her as to show that I'm in control here, for Gunn and his thugs. Once we're in the clear, out of the club where we can talk, I let go, "Are you ok?"

Then, "Want to fill me in on that little altercation? Who's Ar'vena?"
  • Gunn' lets you go, turning to one of his lackeys as you leave. Your rounding the corner into the hall mutes the loud bass of the club, but Squall doesn't relax. She follows along, and nods when you ask if she's OK. "I'm fine... Ar'vena was Stylo's sister. We had a thing a while back, and she died of an overdose at a party with me. We both did, technically, but I recovered."

She swallows hard, "Those guys are the reason I'm on the run..."

Take a bond with Squall for saving her rear back there — you were following the relationship to a T.
  • Alright, what is it with Togruta girls? They are always trouble, I tell you.

"Squall, I hate to pry, but can you expand on the "thing" you had with Ar'vena?" I ask her. I realize she was talking around it, so I just spell it out, "Were you two together, or just friends, or what?"
  • Squall looks up at you with a guilty smile, "a bit of both? Neither? We were roommates back at the academy... She was big into the rave scene, and I was big into passing courses. We found a happy medium together — and by happy, I mean spice-fueled binges lasting days, and ending up in the beds of random people we didn't know — sometimes together, sometimes not."

She shakes her head, "I've mostly left that life behind me, Kelb... I still love the music, but I'm clean... Gunn'sela owns clubs all over the galaxy, and I didn't know he owned this one. He's usually more coreward — this was just really bad luck. When I woke up from the overdose, the local security was asking me all these questions about how I could have survived, but Ar'vena didn't. Gunn'sela's people said they saw us fighting at the club before it happened — which is possible, because we were out of our minds at the time... I ran."
  • edited October 2014
    Well, this has been a revealing night. Just to think, I almost went crawling back to Jaina, bottle of booze in my hands. But now, I get to spend time with a genuine dope fiend, in recovery.

"Listen, Squall, what you do with your free time is none of my business. As long as you're able to function when the team needs you, that's all that really matters for a merc." I pause, can't help but add, "On a personal level, I ask that you practice moderation in all things. And as far as you and parties and spice, I had no idea. So, you're obviously taking care of yourself there." I pat her shoulder in a friendly gesture, happy to see this side of her.

"Let's talk about this night. With Ar'vena. Any witnesses to the fight? Was their a security report or investigation?" I realize as soon as I ask, "Wait, you took off from that, right? But I know you, you checked back on their files, didn't you? What do you know?"
  • She relaxes a little as you show her support. She is definitely trying to put that life behind her, and your acknowledgement of that seems to give her strength. When you ask about the night with Ar'vena, she nods, "I don't remember much myself, which is why I hacked the security database. They didn't have much on me, or the night, other than a reported dispute between me and her — but it was vague, like "a Rattataki and a Togruta" vague, and they kept saying the toxicology reports were inconclusive. We were with a few guys we met through Gunn. I tried getting their IDs from the report, but the report was anonymous."

She sighs, "we took spice Kelb, but we were smart about it. Somebody must have spiked it with something. I'm afraid I did it by accident... It doesn't sound like me, but things were wild back then..."
  • "C'mon, Squall, let's head back to my place so I can fix up your little nose." I say, mostly to get us out of the corridors. If Gunn did kill Stylo's sister, he won't want us finding out. I've got my own room, I don't share with the team, the whole "boss" thing. It's small, but nice enough.

I assume she follows?
  • She most definitely does. Fixing her face won't require much just a few days with some bacta gel to get the job done. You could speed it up if you spent 1-stock, but she'll probably be OK without it. She apologized a few times for ruining your night off...

Once she's fixed up, what do you do?
  • I'll spend the stock to heal her up now. I won't dock it from her pay, I'll just take it off mine. Call it the cost of "getting to know my team". I might've spent it on booze and other intoxicants, but this will do.

"First of all," I tell her when she apologizes for ruining my night, "I love talking trash to dumb beings. Plus, I was hoping to get to know you, and, hey, I sure did, didn't I?"

I'm sitting close now, gently applying the bacta to her nose. It's the most intimate thing I've done in a while, just sitting, quietly talking like this. I mean, Jaina was great, and that's no lie. But it was all nerves and worry and then "wanna kriff?" and then passion and toys and kissing and bliss time and then sleep. Right now, this is what I call intimate.

No, I'm not going to sleep with Squall. Shut up.

I break the moment by peppering her with questions, still sitting close, not being rude, just asking, "If you and Ar'vena were just club kids, then who would want you dead? Did she owe money to anyone? Did Gunn ever make a move on her and get re-buffed? Any enemies?"
  • Squall is sitting there very calmly, patiently waiting for you to finish your work. She's made eye contact with you a few times — was it creepy for you? Or is this more relaxing for you?

She purses her lips when you ask about Ar'vena, "well, no... Nobody wanted us dead — club kids don't exactly make enemies, so much as drain the accounts of ex-boyfriends, and all that. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was date-rape gone wrong — but considering they started fingering me for murder... If someone wanted either of us dead, then there would have been easier ways... That's all I'm saying."
  • The eye contact, it's not creepy, not relaxing. It's thrilling. I'm rarely in control like this, you know? Like Jaina, that was stressful. Really hot and exciting, but stress. This, where I feel in control, like how I'm holding her chin while I work on her nose, I'm in control. It's kind of a turn on, really. I like being in control. Can't you tell?

There's a whole other angle to it, too. I'm caring for her, which isn't sexy at all. It's sisterly, and it feels nice. I like Squall, she's a good kid. I want her to work out for the team, and for the first time, tonight, I'm really figuring out who she is.

"Date rape gone wrong does seem far fetched." I agree. Then, I muse, "Did you two see something you maybe shouldn't have? You said you both died, right? Maybe you were both the target. The fingering was just a reaction to you surviving?" Okay, this whole "fingering" word she threw in, I really shouldn't have said it back to her. Calm down, Kelborn.
  • Squall nods, but then shakes her head, like she can't quite put something to words, and she's giving up. "I'm sorry, Kelb... The whole night was just a big mess... I can't even remember what we did before we left the condo! I just ... I think I need to look at the records again. Maybe you're right... Maybe we were both the targets. I just don't know."
  • "Tell you what, Squall." I tell her as I finish up with the meds, "My number one priority was getting you out of there. We bought some time to figure this mess out with your old girlfriend." I reach into my pants pocket and pull out her credstick, "Hey, here's the pay for our mission, by the by. You did good work."

I smirk at her for a moment, looking right in her pretty purple eyes, "You don't have to answer this... but I'm curious. Did you and that Zeltronian hook up?"
  • You watch the comfort of your assurances wash over her, and she smiles. "Thanks Kelb. I'll take some time to dig up the skeletons... Maybe we'll get lucky." She pockets the pay without really thinking, and smirks when you ask about the Zeltronian...

"No," she answers, quietly, "he was confused about my gender — and disappointed when he found out the truth."
  • "His loss, I'm sure." I tell her, and I'm not being patronizing. She's fetching, and fun and flexible and lots of other "f" words. I share her smirk. "It doesn't matter to me either way, Squall. I'm pretty open-minded. Don't feel like you need to tell me, or hide it from me. It's totally your call, and not really any of my business anyway."

For a moment, I consider going a bit further, but no, that's good. I really should leave it right there.
  • Squall pats you gently on the shoulder, still smiling playfully, "wouldn't you like to know? Jazz chickened out..."
  • I narrow my eyes. Does she know how competitive I am? Especially around Jazz? Is she manipulating me? I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach when there's a challenge out there that I could take on. I can't believe this, this is a horrible, bad, awful idea.

"Squall..." I say, trying to keep my composure. "I'm your boss. I don't want anything to be weird. But I'll have you know that I'm not lying when I say I'm open-minded, and I'm in no way a chicken. So, ah, take that for whatever it's worth." Wait, what? Why am I dancing around the bush here? I should just jump her bones right now and see what she's hiding.

No, no, no. Calm down, Kelborn. We're just joking around. Stand up, get some distance. "You want a drink, Squall?" Ah yes, abrupt subject change, you ARE a chicken.
  • She narrows her eyes right back, and smirks coyly, "are you trying to get me drunk, Kelb? Because I'm pretty sure you just propositioned me — those usually come in reverse order." There's a pregnant pause between you... Then she giggles, "I'm just messing with you. Calm down. I'll take a drink, thanks."

She smiles, and gets comfortable on the bed. "If ever you get so curious you can't take it anymore, my favorite drink is Rylothian brandy."
  • Yes, she's sly. She got me pegged. Man, I can't get away with anything tonight.

"Oh, I see!" I chuckle at that last bit. "Rylothian brandy? See now," I say as I pour her some Alderaani ale I picked up a while back for a song, "Now it has to be special. I mean, you must be quite the prize, if i takes Rylothian brandy."

I hand her the glass. "I've never tried it, to be honest. What do you like about it?" I sit on the bed beside her. Ohh, I really should have pulled a chair up. What am I doing?
  • She rolls her eyes, "I'm not that special... People just usually over-complicate it. Sometimes I'm surprised at how hard it is for people to get it right, frankly."

When you ask her to describe Rylothian Brandy, she smirks and melts into a more comfortable position, "It's a rich blend of sweet berries and some native pollen-based syrup, distilled to perfection. The good stuff goes down like water, but tastes like candy." She accepts the glass, and takes a sip. "This isn't bad. It's got a fruity explosion at the end!"
  • edited December 2013
    I shake my head when she downplays herself. I'm like ninety percent sure she's a she, with girl parts. But then, Jazz chickened out. I wonder why? I mean, yes, he won't touch anything resembling a penis, not even a stalk or a tendril. I think it's adorably conservative.

After listening to her describe the brandy, I take a long slow drink of my ale. It is nice. Better than I expected. "That brandy does sound good, Squall. I'm going to get some, real soon." I smile at that, because I just propositioned her again. I hide the grin with my glass, draining it.

This time, when I get up and refill my glass, I head over to the little work desk chair that I have by my terminal, and sit there. Time to cool things off. Let her talk some more, though. I like talking. "You almost hooked up with Jazz? How did that happen? Or more like, when?"

I pick up the remote to the sound system in here, turn on some light music, relaxing Bothan stuff, nothing too overdone. Probably too quiet for her.
  • Squall bites her lip, trying to recall the details of her "near-miss" with Jazz. "How long have I been running with you? It was after our second job... Right around there. Anyway, we were celebrating Jazz finally paying off that old debt, and Jazz started hinting that he was curious about me. So I toyed with him a bit — just playing up the question, you know? "How can you be sure unless you see for yourself?" and "you might like what you find" kinda stuff."

She giggles again, and does her best Jazz impression. "No way, Squall — you're messing with me! ... C'mon cut it out! ... There's no way that's right!" Throughout all this, she's mock-slapping a hand away, and devolving into a fit of laughter. By the time she finishes, she takes another drink of her ale, and leans back on her arms. "I guess I don't mind being a bit of a mystery to some people. It filters out the sleemos."
  • edited October 2014
    I'm laughing with her, she's such an engaging storyteller, her laugh is infectious. I swear, I thought it was a fake laugh when I first met her, but it's natural. Like tinkling bells when she giggles, just adorable. I'm struck with the thought of all these cute things I notice about Squall. I mean, what if Squall is a male? Wouldn't that be a trip?

"That old debt" was from the time he decided to double down on a sabacc game with this cyborg on Cloud City. How dumb is that?!? Why even bet against a cyborg? Jazz is one hell of a soldier, but sometimes off the field of battle, he just takes this crazy risks. Luckily, we worked out a "payment plan" with Lobot.

"Squall, please don't ever stop doing your impression of Jazz! You have the surly eyes down pat! That's just zeng!" I dissolve into giggles, which she probably knows is quite unlike me. This ale is going to my head.

I pour another glass, offer her a refill. "Hey, you know... if you wanna head back out, find another club or somethin, I'm good to go." I'm lying, I'm actually getting pretty trashed, but I'm worried she might feel trapped. On my bed there, like she is, I mean. Trapped.

Need to stop this. I need to get a grip, because I'm about to cross a line for real. C'mon Kelborn, you cannot sleep with everyone on the team!

I could stop after Squall. I mean, just half the team then, right?

Shut up! Bad Kelborn. Bad bad bad.
  • Who else have you slept with on the team, Kelb?

Squall is definitely picking up on your more relaxed attitude, and you can tell she's comfortable. She shakes her head, "No, I've had enough of clubbing for the night, thanks. I've quieted down a bit lately, so I'm just as happy to spend the night in." She takes another drink, and adds, "but don't feel stuck here! I could just as easily go back to the cortex... Watch a trashy holovid or something."
  • Currently on the team?

Well, Jazz, for about a year during our on-again off-again thing when we tried to be lovers as well as partners. Mr. Burr picked me up one night, which is how we met. A one night stand. I sort of fell for his grizzled warrior shtick, and I was lonely and a little buzzed. I don't know why he slept with me, though. Do I look like a young man? Should I be annoyed by that? Probably, but well, it was just a one time thing. We never talked about it, but it was obviously just sex.

Jazz doesn't know.

As for former team members, well, the list grows a bit.
    * Qwi Fahr an Omwati female; deceased; I really, really liked her, she taught me about the wonders of her people's citi structures and architecture; whenever I see a wondrous tower or a particular style in a building, I think about her; she was KIA, we were on Fourteen's crew together
    * Ooban Bees, a male Ortolan, who is very much alive, not that I didn't try to remedy that; he sold us out to some Weequay pirates and ran; yes, he was also a one-night stand, no I don't want to talk about it, except to say, sometimes "being adventurous" doesn't always pay off
    * Roshti Ty, a male Togruta, still alive; he left my first team over pay, which wasn't fun at all; before that blew up, I'd liked having him around, he was the fun kind of trouble; plus, Jazz hated him, which was amusing

Anyway, back to Squall the unknown, "Its your call, Squall. But this chair isn't as comfy as that bed. So either scoot over or head out." There, back in your court, you tricksie thing, you.
  • Well those sound like interesting people, Kelb. I'm glad you brought them up.

Squall blinks blankly a few times when you offer her the choice to either get in or get out. She shifts on the bed, and pats the spot next to her, smiling pleasantly. Looks like she's in.

What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    I slide over to lay down beside her. This bed is pretty fantastic, considering its a rental. I wish I could carry it with me. "You ever get tired of waking up in a new bed every week or so? Not having a place of your own, not even on a ship?"

Another swig of my glass, which is empty now, such a tiny glass, how does it get empty so quick? "I hate how the layouts are all different. Did you know I almost broke my toe a couple weeks ago because I ran into a wall thinking I was going to the restroom?" I laugh at that one, stupid wall, getting in my way.
  • Squall nods, "I miss my condo," she says with great ennui. There's no sadness in her voice, just a fondness like someone might have for their childhood home. "I'm surprised you didn't kick a hole in the wall Kelb... Most of them are cheap enough you could."

She rolls onto her side, and takes another drink of her ale. "Are you trying to line up a permanent arrangement with someone? 'Cause I think that'd be zeng... I haven't had a place to settle in a long time..."
  • When she rolls over, I sit up to grab the bottle of ale. So far away, bottle. I pour myself some more, offer to refill her glass, too. "I'm not lining anything up right now, no. But we could do it, pretty easy." I take a drink, swallow it. Fruity explosion at the end, hee hee. She's right. I like this ale.

"I like this ale." I say, like I've lost track of my, no wait, settling down. "The thing is, we move around for work, right? So we have to find a place in a hotspot, or we'll miss out on good-paying work. Hotspot places, like Coruscant or Nar Shaddaa, they're pricey. Which means we would have to take on more jobs, or more dangerous ones. So, we'd never be home to enjoy our home. It's a trap." Ha ha, "it's a trap". I love that joke. I'm giggling into my glass.

"We need a ship. That would be zeng, right?" I giggle some more, then throw my arms wide as if I'm decorating our imaginary ship, "Our own ship! We could paint whole rooms pink or whatever. Whatever we want. So tell me, Squally, what would you do to your room?" I'm smiling over my glass as I pause before the next drink, intently listening while sitting up on my side of the bed, legs crossed, looking down at her.
  • She takes the refill, and her eyes light up at the mention of a ship. "Like a big one? That would be Zeng with a capital "Z"!" She bites her lip in deep contemplation when you ask what she'd do to her room. "Datapads — all of the datapads — and a good sound system, and ... Hmm... I'm thinking red backlighting on the walls. I like red."

She looks up at you, "would you do your walls up pink? I could totally see that. A bad-ass mandalorian chick with a pink bedroom."
  • edited December 2013
    All of the datapads? That's hilarious! This girl cracks me up. "A good sound system yeah? Play some of the tunes we heard at the club? That was good stuff!"

She asks about the pink walls thing, and I feel odd. I mean, she's complimenting me, and it feels awesome to be called a badass. But pink is so, well, loud. And girlie. I put my now empty glass on the side table and lay down, looking up at the bland gray ceiling of the room. "Yeah. Pink. Not too much, maybe just hints of it, you know? Just enough."

I lay there a moment, look over at that lovely bottle of fruity explosion ale. "The bottle is pretty much done, Squall." I roll over to lie on my side, facing her. "Guess the party's winding down." I'm drunk, and relaxed and happy and drunk. I said drunk already, didn't I?
  • Squall looks over to the bottle, making sure it is, indeed, empty. She smirks, "I guess so. It wasn't Rylothian Brandy, but it was still pretty good."

She stays there a minute. Not moving. Not speaking. You get the impression she's waiting for something.
  • edited October 2014
    "Here's the deal, Squall," I say as I look her cute smirking face. "I didn't come to see you tonight for sex. I really wanted to learn more about you, as a person, not just my whizz techie." I smirk up at her then. Like I said, its infectious, "I like you, and I feel like we're pretty friendly. But I'm your boss, and I'm not looking for any kind of commitment."

It's almost as intimate as when I was doctoring up her face, both of us lying her on my bed, face to face like this. I don't get intimate moments. "I really enjoyed hanging out with you tonight, talking, having a few laughs." I reach over to put a hand on her hip, lightly, just enjoying the moment. "I'm perfectly happy calling it a night."

"If anything more happens, though. It's just two people." I'm a little serious now, it may kill the mood, but I have to, have to be crystal clear. "There are no expectations, no commitments, no special favors. Come tomorrow, I'll still tell you what to do, I'll still work as hard as I can to get the job done AND bring my team back safe. So, don't think I am telling you what to do right now. I'm offering you the chance to take this where you want it, tonight."

I gave her "the speech". She's smart, not like Roshti who just nodded along until he could mount me. Stupid spice. She'll back off. I scared her off now. We can go back to our lives and I can sleep on my nice bed.
  • Squall sighs, and nods with a smile on her face, "well, I'm not really looking for 'no strings attached' right now — but I loved this." she motions between you, "Thanks for being honest Kelb."

She slowly rises from the bed, keeping here eye on you. Before turning to leave she adds, "I'll bring the bottle next time."
  • I watch her go, with that nice little butt of hers.

That was a close call. She wants strings. That is not good for business. Glad I was clear.

And now, I'm all alone. Great. Guess I'll strip down and get some sleep. It's late, right? Yeah, late, I'm drunk, in my own bed, alone.

I'm getting old.
  • == END SCENE ==