[Junk XIII] Shut Out (K 7-3)

edited December 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Kiddo,

You, Rinso and VB rode southwest until you hit Trench. The ride was long, and for you, very uncomfortable, I imagine. Luckily, the wastes were vacant any threats you couldn't out-ride. What did Rinso ride, by the way?

The three of you are sitting at Ched's Party Tent right now, late afternoon, the sun beating down outside. You've been waiting for a visitor's pass for two days now, some kind of meeting with traders, anything. But nothing, no response, other than "come back later today".

Have you avoided Medley or is it just happenstance that you haven't seen her?

Twizzlers comes over, refilling your water glasses. He says quietly, "Kiddo, I'm sorry the traders won't see you. It seems that with Ivory taking over the infirmary, he has much more clout inside than he did out here. It seems that you are shut out of any legitimate dealings."

Rinso huffs an exasperated sigh. "We could ride north to Armour. They might have something."

"Not much. They're tiny." VB replies.

What do you do?

Comments

• Rinso borrowed Omo's ride for the trip. He's not the best biker, but I'm not the most comfortable I've ever been on this frakking thing, so we're taking it slow. Avoiding Medley has been dirt simple — 'cause she hasn't been around. I mean I haven't been asking for her or anything, but I'd have expected to see her at some point.

I huff derisively when Twizzlers gives me the news — not to him, of course, he's just the messenger... I don't know who put that asshole Ivory in charge of the infirmary here, but clearly they were frakking hurting. Vee's right about Armour not really having much in the way of jingle these days... Hell, the further south we go, the worse off we're going to get for water. Last I remember, Boomtown was pretty thin on water too. Oasis is the only other place with water, and we can't make that trip regular. It's just not worth it.

"We've got to talk to people here," I say, shaking my head, "even if it's under the frakking table, we've got to talk to someone." I turn back to Twizzlers, "surely frakking someone must be willing to talk. Who the hell do I have to bribe to chat with Spanx?"
  • Twizzlers offers gently, "Ivory will continue to block you, Kiddo. But there is someone you know who is able to sneak in and out of the gates without any trouble, despite her father's protests. I wouldn't suggest it, too dangerous. But if you could get in to see Spanx, she might be more open to a trade than Ivory thinks."
  • I consider faking labor pains — but somehow I doubt that would actually help me, and that would involve seeing Ivory. Maybe if baby girl was bigger... How hard is it to bribe a frakking guard around here? I sigh... "Medley, huh? ... Where is she?"
  • Twizzlers nods, happy that you got his drift. "She should be here shortly, checking in for any glass, like normal. Is there anything you want while you wait?"
  • Shit... She's still on that stuff? Gods... This is not going to be fun. "Can we wait in the tent? If I keep drinking water like this I'm gunna be peeing all day."
  • edited December 2013
    Twizzlers nods, chuckling softly at your mention of peeing all day. He leaves you three alone.

"Medley? Really?" Rinso says, quirking a brow.

VB says wryly, "Oh shut up, Rinnie. You'd do her in a hot minute."

Rinso shrugs, because he's not going to deny it, plus he doesn't think it'll ever happen and that's fine with him. "My point was more, do we trust this girl?"
  • I know Rinso's on the other side of Vee's wall, and she's struggling to let him in, but she doesn't have to be so hard on him... I put my hand on her cheek and give her a kiss to calm her down. "We don't trust her — especially if she's looking for glass — but we have to look past that now. Ivory's holding personal grudges, and I'm tired of him getting in our way."

I start walking over to the tent, with Rinnie and Vee in tow, "I just wanna cut him out of the equation, you know?"
  • Rinso agrees, "I sorta hate that frakker. He thinks you're some dumb Valley Girl, he doesn't even realize you're on Council, you've got a whole gang backing your play. Hell, if he weren't so bull-headed, he could even see benefits for his infirmary, since the Ascendant is probably years ahead of his."

VB pauses, and you can almost hear her about to make a crack about Rinnie being an expert on bull-headedness, but instead, she just leans in to make out with you for a minute. Kind of possessively? "Well, Medley's trouble, and that's no lie."

As if summoned, you notice Medley has come into the tent now, she was looking around, but spotted you, and saw you making out with VB. She does a sort of sad, lost smile, and waves, then starts walking towards the bar.

What do you do?
  • I am "some dumb valley girl" ... I mean, frak — I'm a pregnant girl on a council with a gang of violent bitches backing my play. I live in a nice spaceship, in a room with a kickass view, and have more jingle than most folks ever will at any given time. Could I be any more from the Valley? I sigh, and try to remember that I worked hard to get where I am, but Vee's tongue in my mouth makes it hard to concentrate.

Ok, it makes it really hard to concentrate. When the frak did Medley walk in? I look back to Vee, and give her a midly amused look. "You're jealous of that? C'mon hon..." I smirk, and give her another kiss, "Medley's only trouble if we let her be trouble..." I turn to Rinnie, "can you keep my girlfriend from stomping our way into Trench into a bloody pulp, Rinnie?"
  • Rinso chuckles, "Stay put, Vee. Let Kiddo do her work."

Annoyed, VB replies, "I HELP her with her work, Rinnie."

"Not this time, you don't." Rinso says, slightly scolding. Then, to you, "Go on, I got this."

Medley takes an arc to sort of avoid you, but you catch up to her at the bar. She's already chatting with Trix, who is shaking her head no. She notices your arrival, glances down at your belly, and says in a neutral tone, "Hi Kiddo."

What do you do?
  • I poke Vee's nose, "behave! Medley's just some girl — you're my honeybee."

I walk over to the bar, following Medley, and take the spot next to her. "Hey," I answer back, "I'm sorry you had to see that — my girlfriend's feeling a little insecure, I think. Can you chat a minute? I need your help."
  • There's a thumping bass to the song playing right now. Its an ancient house tune call I Believe by a DJ called Cr2. The main lyric, sung repetitively by a female voice in staccato, is the title: "I believe". As it is with most electronica, the words sung are an emotive expression moreso than a story or message, and the vocals quickly fall into a pattern to become part of the music, not to be the method of expression itself.

Medley looks into your eyes for a moment, like she wants to say something spiteful or nasty. But instead, her eyes drop away from yours and she says, "What do you need?" She's got a tumbler at the bar, she's sitting on a stool while Trix is busy with other folks. It isn't busy, but you're talking. Trix already knows you aren't drinking, so she isn't bothering you.

What do you do?
  • Well, at least she's civil. I'll take that. I smile politely, and answer plainly... I suppose she might appreciate that. "Your father is blocking me from talking with Spanx and the other traders – throwing away a golden opportunity for his infirmary. I'm here on behalf of the Ascendant, with very important business. If you could get me to Spanx, I would be very grateful."
  • "My father," she says with spite, "Hates you. Because you used to make me happy. Like glass... that used to make me happy, too. But you took Tro-Tro away when you left, and now I don't even have that."

She takes a drink of whatever Trix mixed up and says flatly, "Spend the night with me, and I'll get you to Spanx." She doesn't even sound like she wants it, she just wants "her way".

What do you do?
  • Hell to the frak no! I grab her drink and throw it in her face. "Go die in a fire, bitch. You're just like your frakking dad — entitled to your own frakking misery because you can't hone up to yourself. Tell your dad you just cost his precious little town a deal with the best frakking infirmary in the flats."

I'll find my own frakking way in.
  • "Funny, I thought you'd be grateful for my charity, Kiddo." Medley says back with spite, "Seeing as how you've gotten so fat since the last time I frakked you."
  • See, I was ready to walk away. I really was.

I spin around, slow, and glare at her. "It's a baby, you frakking cunt — which is something your leathery vag will never make. You got something you wanna say? Frakking say it."
  • edited December 2013
    She didn't realize you were pregnant, and calling her sterile is as bad as a slap in the face. She breathes heavy through her nostrils a few times, then says bitterly, "No. I have nothing more to say to you." She turns back to the bar, her shoulders tense, seething with hurt and anger.

What do you do?
  • Good! All I frakking wanted was to make a frakking deal with these people for water — a deal that would give them access to better medical treatment, and support from our hold when they need it — but they had to be frakking babies about it, and claim I'm not worth their trouble. Frak this town. Frak it in it's stupid frakking head. Two frakking people kept us out. Two. A whole frakking town wouldn't even consider it because two frakking babies wanted their tantrum.

I'm leaving. Maybe Armour can spare some workers to get us up and running again. Trench had better pray they're never on the shit end of a stick with me.
  • Rinso and VB follow you out. VB slides up close, "That didn't look like it went so well."

Rinso's headed to the bikes, he seems to know the deal is over, and Armour isn't that far away.
  • I'm pissed. It's probably pretty obvious, too... "It didn't," I answer plainly, making for the bikes, "she wanted me to spend the night with her for passage. Called it "charity" on her part on the count of..." I trail off, not wanting to put Vee on the warpath. The bitch called me fat. Of course she frakking would. Look at me... I eat all the frakking time, and sleep like a beached whale.

It's a good thing Armour's not that far away. The ride'll take my mind off of how hungry I am, and onto how sore my frakking back gets.

Yeah, Kiddo... You're a real frakking catch.
  • "Frak her, Kiddo, she doesn't know drek." Rinso says as he throws a leg over his bike. This time he beat VB to the punch.

Speaking of punch, VB growls, "I wanna go back there and punch her in the tit!" But she's mounting up, too. When you slide in front of her (on account of your tummy making it not so comfy for her to ride in front), she scoots up to kiss the back of your neck and says, "Don't you worry about that junkie, Momma. You're ten kinds of awesome and a bag of nachos. She's just mad that we got you, instead of her."

No, Rinso didn't miss that. He pauses for just a moment before kick-starting the bike, but it's not like he's going to call it out.
  • Nachos... Really? Damn it Vee — that's not helping. I turn around and give her a peck on the cheek before reaching over and rubbing Rinso's burly bicep appreciatively.

Then I kickstart the bike, and roll out with them...
  • -END SCENE-