[SWAW] Must not sleep with team-mates [Kelb Tott S3]

edited December 2013 in SWAW
Both,

The walk back to Xyxis' shop was long, and largely silent. Pem and Jazz held back just a bit, keeping rank and file. When you get there, Xyxis is away — likely back at his home in the upper levels of the station — but his staff, a young Falleen lady named Myalla, is happy to receive you. She hovers over, in that graceful Falleen stride, and respectfully bows. "good evening fair customers. How may I help you?"

Comments

• I return the bow with a nod of my head. Of course, some beautiful Falleen female is here, just what I need when my hair is all frizzed up. I remember, of course. They have such beautiful names. "Good evening, Myalla. We need to speak with your employer. Is Xyxis at home?" I'm looking for that one employee from before, the one who was wounded. I don't need to speak with him, just curious if he is healing.
  • Myalla nods, "No — my husband has just left for his meeting with the other merchants, I'm afraid. If you leave now, you might be able to catch him at the Commander's Lounge." The Twi'Lek you saw earlier is still here, working away. He still looks rough, but it's not stopping him from doing his job — so I suppose he's healing... Or Xyxis is working him to the bone... Probably the former.

Myalla looks between you all, "if you have business with Xyxis, I always have his proxy. Are you the mercenary crew he hired earlier?"
  • This is his wife? Whoops!

"Yes, ma'am, we are." I give her a look of respect. If she is a proxy, then we can do business with her. "We have delivered the message as requested. The recipient understand the cost of further trouble to the Cabal. However, he is convinced that his backer will not allow this. He feels that he will be replaced if he does not continue his aggressive acts. He is most likely neutralized as a threat, but his backer may continue encroaching Kestic Station."
  • I keep my face impassive, but feel some surprise, and approval, that Kelb is withholding who the backer is. The name might scare them off, ending our job. And if Xyxis and Myalla can't figure it out, well. There's a sucker born every minute, as they say, and I don't mind pulling my creds from the pockets of suckers.
  • Myalla squints, and considers this information carefully. "Thank you for your services, miss... Vizsla, was it? If the Gran will not yield, then perhaps this brief respite from his constant hounding will give us the upper hand in preparing for his backer's next move." She moves back behind the counter, over to the register, "Will you be needing payment? I have the standard fee we were offering, and can front you the fee for your services watching the other merchants if you so please."
  • I nod, "Yes, Myalla. Our standard fee is appreciated. How long do you wish for us to provide security?"
  • Myalla opens the register and produces the 1-cred that is standard for the services you offered, then adds a second, "consider this a bonus, or even a retainer for future services if you so desire," she says with a grin. When you ask about the length of time she wants for security, "we have a contract drafted for one month's security, and it is very low key — one person per shop, 8 hours a day. The total coming up to about..." She reaches into the cash and produces 3-creds, which would cover your expenses for the hired help, and leave you with 1-cred.

Without hesitating she adds, "of course, if this backer you mentioned is going to be pressing us hard, I'm sure my husband will be willing to pay you extra for additional services."
  • She sure is loose with her husband's cash flow.

She's either naive or nervous.
  • I take the creds as she offers, slipping it into a belt pouch. I nod, "If you need our services, we will be available for the next month. After that, we will begin looking for further employment. It is a pleasure doing business with you, Myalla. My regards to your husband."

I'll lead the crew out of the store. "Pem, can you let our new team members know we'll be working security for the next month? We can work out a rotation tomorrow." I slip payment to them, then grin, "First round on me, guys."
  • Alcohol! Excellent.
  • A quick screen wipe later and you've all wound up at Diurnal Motion – a posh bordello with a great bar and gambling den in the lower levels, and fantastic themed rooms for rent by the hour. The atmosphere is a mixture of traditional Togruta architecture and culture, with a splash of modern core-ward sensibilities.

You're greeted by a beautiful Togrutan lady who is a little older than the rest of the men and women "on display" at the back wall. She approaches you in fine silk robes, and excellent form. "Good evening," she says with a courteous bow, "welcome to Diurnal Motion – are you all together?"

Kelb,

Who ducked out of drinks. What did they tell you it was for?

Tott,

Who's the owner of this place, and why do they owe you big time?
  • Jazz ducked out. He said he wanted to relieve Macks, but I think he's mad at me.

"Yes, we're a team." I say with a smirk. "First round of drinks are on me."

Darn Jazz judging me. Not that he's wrong, but I've earned some leeway. I don't sleep with team-mates!

Not anymore.
  • edited December 2013
    Tuwan Kun, a Neti that ended up planted on this site after accidentally tagging along as a dormant seed on a bounty hunter's boot. It resides in a back room, where it runs the show, kept alive by many lamps. It shapeshifts to a tree when visitors arrive, using the Togrutan before us as his face.

In the course of my job, I ended up in that back room while it was in a half-humanoid form. I became it's go-to merc - I think it liked having someone else to communicate with. We've kept it mostly business, although sometimes I bring it a liter of fresh spring water when it summons me.
  • "I'll have wake tea." I turn to Kelb. "How many drinks do I need to buy you before you'll dance with me?"
  • The Togrutan nods, and leads you all over towards a large table near the back of the bar. "Please, have a seat. My name is La'resha — if you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to call for me. I'll bring that round of drinks over right away." Then she leaves you all to your own devices.

Squall is all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, eyeing the place like it's some fancy piece of culture she's only seen in the holos. Pem is already eyeing the Sabacc tables behind the bar.
  • edited December 2013
    I give Pem the nod, "If you want to go gamble, feel free after this drink. I'm sure we can entertain ourselves."

Squall's bubbly attitude is infectious, I'm grinning when Tott asks about dancing. I answer with a wink, "I have no rules against dancing, Tott. Buy me a Jawa Bomber and I'm all yours." I blink in surprise, "No, wait. For dancing. And Squall has some great moves, too. You coming with us?"
  • I keep my annoyance at the inclusion of the techie subdued as I retrieve Kelb's drink. Well, no matter - I'm a Twi'lek, for goddess' sake. If I can't outdance an idiot, trouble making Rattataki, I should just go ahead and cut off my lekku.
  • edited December 2013
    Squall nods enthusiastically, completely oblivious to Tott's annoyance. "Sure!" She says with a smile, as the drinks arrive. La'resha flashes a courteous smile to each of you as she hands you your drinks. "I'll be over by the bar — remember, if there's anything I can get you, just speak up, dearies!"
  • I give the hostess a nod and raise my glass, "To a job well done!" I think glasses and down some liquid courage. I want to get tipsy and do unwise things!

I'll pull then both onto the dance floor as soon as drinks are empty.
  • Time to see what my warrior flower can do.

I start my movements slow, dancing about half time, as I feel out the style that Kelb prefers.
  • I hit the dance Floor before the drinks hit me. Like at the Underground, I try to follow Squall's lead. I'm trained for the battlefield, nobody ever showed me how to dance well. I make up for style with energy most of the time, but Tott has me feeling nervous and a little self-conscious.
  • I notice Kelb taking cues from Squall. Decidedly displeasing. As I study the body language between them further, I become even more annoyed.

I maneuver myself between the two women, then slide my hands along Kelb's hips, guiding her movements. It's delicious to feel the heat of her flesh through her clothes. I dance with her, pleased with, but not surprised by, her gracefulness, how she matches my movements.
  • I try my best to keep up with Tott, he's amazing at this! Of course I want to keep Squall involved, she's my safety net. She's also my excuse that this is still a team event, but that is quickly devolving with Tott's dancing and all the feelings he's stoking in me.

Stay focused. We're just having fun now, he is trying to manipulate you, Kelborn. "You're an amazing dancer, Tott. " I say between songs.
  • "Don't humans generally correlate a skill for dance with other...skill sets?"
  • edited December 2013
    "Some do. Balance, for one." I reply, knowing full well his intentions.
  • I pull her in close to my front, pressing against her back, rotating her hips with mine, then slowly dip us both backward until she's stretched on top of me. As I rise, my free hand running down her side, I spin her in my arms and squeeze her waist. "That seems true enough. What other skills? It seems humans are quite perceptive in this matter."
  • edited December 2013
    The spin is an unexpected thrill. His hands on me are practically burning. I'm trying to keep my cool, keep in control.

My voice cracks as I answer, "Rhythm, coor... coordination. " I slide my hands around his neck, under his lekku.

"Why are Twi'Leks such skilled damcers?" I ask, trying to recover.
  • A flash of surprise, a little annoyance - but then I see that she really means it. Instead of delving into slaving practices, I move her hips with my own again. "Because we are just as dedicated to celebrating the physical joys of life as we are the spiritual."
  • edited December 2013
    That wasn't the answer I expected. "Spiritual? What do you believe in, Tott?" My tone is playful and curious.

While he answers, I slip over to Squall and make sure she isn't excluded. I'll taunt him with some sexy dancing. I put my hands on Squall's hips and dance my way down into a squat, then slide back up her body, rubbing myself against her lightly.
  • I move forward with her so she can still hear me, although I don't draw her into myself again. "I believe in the goddess," I say. Mostly true. I was raised to believe in the goddess, anyway. "Feminine power, grace, wisdom, and wrath. The Masculine role of warrior and defender to the Feminine role of Guide and Maternal Righteousness."
  • edited December 2013
    I listen to Tott extol the generalities of his religion. Interesting. "I like matriarchies!" I turn my back to Squall and work myself against her and beckon to Tott. I want to dance with them both. Why can't I sleep with team-mates again? They're my only friends.

"I need more intoxicants!" I yell as I raise my hands to the heavens in exaltation to this moment of ribald fun. "Come here, Tott!"

I'm so glad Jazz isn't here right now. I'm really not at my best.
  • Squall's been picking up on that inner conflict you've been having for quite some time now, and she's been trying to work her way closer to you — her attempt to offer you a graceful out of this whole situation, if you want one. Of course your proclamation makes it pretty obvious which fork you're currently looking at; so she stands there, hesitant but present, waiting for a clear sign from you to either stand down, or step in.
  • I lean back to rest my head against Squall's shoulder and reach down to her side, running it along her trim hip. I turn my head, whisper-yelling to her,"I know you want something serious, Squally. But it's just dancing, right?"

My hair is starting to get a little damp. I really shouldn't have worn those synth-leather pants and my knee-high boots. They're sexy as can be, but they do seem to get a little warm. Lucky that my tank top and vest are made of breathable material.

"What do you think of him?" I whisper into Squall's ear as I dance against her and continue to touch her side.
  • A deep blush washes over Squall when you remind her she's looking for something serious. She looks away, embarrassed. "I'm just here to dance, Kelb. Tott's an attractive enough guy, and he's obviously into you... Maybe the better question is, what do you think of him?"
  • "I think he's blazing!" I answer in her ear. Her delightful little ear. "But he's a team-mate, and I'm the boss. So it's dancing, just dancing and fun! Then back to my quarters. Why don't you take him? Let me live vicariously through you, you give me all the sordid details!"
  • She shrugs, "He's not my type." There's a brief pause before she adds, "and you shouldn't live vicariously... It's not healthy."
  • "It messes everything up!" I say, almost whining. I want this, but I can't have it. Why am I doing this? I should get off the dance floor.
  • Squall raises an eyebrow, and shoots you a look that bemusedly screams really? She shakes her head, "so does sexual tension, Kelb. I guess you've gotta be a big girl and take your pick — woman up and sleep with the sexy, sexy Twi'Lek, or man up and be a limp, underwhelming stick in the mud."
  • edited December 2013
    I step away to get Kelb another drink. Squall is such a buzz kill for me. Not only is she a chaos maker, but I'm more and more certain she's already tread the path I'm trying to. This grates on my nerves.

As I weave my way back to Kelb with her drink, I consider my options. I could just ignore Squall, but Kelb doesn't seem to want to let me do that. Goddess, would she want both of us in her bed at the same time? I don't know that I could permit that walking mistake to touch me. Ugh.
  • When Tott steps away, I turn to Squall and dance with her, but I move back up off her, trying to calm myself a bit, clear my head. I shoot her a challenging look, "Why don't you join us? What's a one night stand with your boss and a sexy Twi'Lek boy in the span of the universe, right? "
  • Squall bites her lip, "one more you mean..." she looks over to Tott, gives him a long glance, then shakes her head. "No thanks Kelb... Not what I'm looking for."

She pats you on the shoulder, and eyes the bar, "I'm gunna get myself a drink, maybe see how much Pem's lost, and count some cards so he can make it back."

Do you let her go?
  • My shoulders slump a bit when she turns me down. Of course I let her go. I'd never force her.

Time to woman up? Gah, I should be a stick in the mud. This is such a bad idea. I take the drink from Tott and down it right then and there. "Bad news, Tott. Squall is gonna hang with Pem. You're stuck with me."
  • I state at Squall's retreating back, then at Kelb's disappointed body posture. My lekku curl against my neck as I consider the situation. "Did you get some disappointing news?"
  • I stand there on the dance floor, swaying lightly to the bass of the music, considering my options. I look up at Tott for a moment, worried about where this is heading. "It's five by five. We're just dancing, right? A little dancing never hurt anyone, did it?"
  • "Well, I knew this Rishi once..." I smile, then slide my arm around her waist. I dance, using the skill I have, but cold jealousy has doused much of my fire.
  • I let Tott guide me in the dance, the music thrumming under our feet. The frenzy seems to have left us both, which is great, just what I needed. Whew, that's a relief. Common sense can resume. No more sleeping with team-mates.

I think he wanted to be with Squall maybe? Was he trying to make her jealous? Silly Tott.You should just be with her, she's really great.

When a slower song starts up, I put my arms around his neck and look up at him, "You know, if you'd rather dance with Squall, I'm sure I could go bring her back."
  • edited December 2013
    I let out a bark of surprised laughter. "Hardly! There's no one in this room who begins to compare to you." I run my hands from her hips up along her ribcage for emphasis. "I'm just coming down off my merc high, it's no big thing. Are you not having fun with me? "
  • edited December 2013
    Well, that does make me feel better. The compliment is nice. I don't believe it, but it's nice.

"I was having a great time, with the dancing. I love dancing, and you're, well, amazing..." I find that I'm staring at the muscles in his neck and how his lekku looks so great, gently moving as we dance.

Then I catch myself staring, try to regain some composure and ask, "This is just fun, right?" Please tell me this is just flirting. I can handle that. I do not need to get involved with somebody right now. I'm not drunk enough for anything emotional.
  • "Are you looking for me to give you permission for a night or three of hot, thoroughly enjoyable sex?" I slide my hand down to rest just above the curve or her rear. "Because you have it. Should I write it down?"
  • Rolling to seduce Kelb:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 4. Total: 11)
  • Ohhhh, he is so bad.

Bad idea. Must not sleep with team-mates. Must NOT sleep with team-mates.

Woman up and sleep with the sexy, sexy Twi'Lek, or man up and be a limp, underwhelming stick in the mud.

I swallow, looking into his lovely dark eyes. I want this. I am an adult. I can make my own decisions.

I've worked so hard to make this team work, and work well together. This is my family. My only friends! Will it break us if I do this? Day one I hire him and then take him back to my place for "a night or three of hot, thoroughly enjoyable sex"?

I reach down to put one hand over the one he has on my hip, the other on his neck. "Tott, we can't let this impact how this team works. They're my whole world." That said, I lean up to kiss him. Soft, but he can feel the hunger. I've wanted to do this for cycles.

His lips do not disappoint.
  • Goddess, she tastes good. I pull her up, pulling her thigh forward against my waist, encouraging her to wrap her legs around met. La'resha can get a room ready for us - this will be the first time I'll have taken her up on the offer, but she's observant. "It is my opinion," I say between kisses, "that sex can act as an excellent stress reducer and a way to kill down time without spending creds. Both sound like excellent ways to increase team harmony."
  • I am not putting my legs around him on the dance floor! Later, my eyes tell him. I'm not as brazen as that. Well, not without a blaster in my hand.

"I've got some stress," I say as I return the kisses with growing heat, increasing applications of tongue. "Let's go harmonize, Tott. For a night or three." Stars, I'm really doing this. I'd planned on getting trashed so I wouldn't be responsible for whatever happened. But, here I am, going to bed with one of my sub-ordinates.

Should I fire him first?
  • edited December 2013
    Kelb,

I dunno Kelb, should you?

Of course, you don't really have a chance to consider that before there's a bit of a commotion over by the door. If you peer over for more than a second you'll spot Jaina walking hurriedly over to the bar, straight for Squall, with more purpose than you've ever seen her walk with.

She has a black eye, and a split lip. She looks pissed.

Tott,

Have you ever met Captain Jaina Dene before? She's a Mandalorian like Kelborn, and is pretty serious when it comes to her freighter business. Pem told you she's "pretty close" with Kelb, though he didn't really know how close that was. What do you know about her?

Both,

What do you do?
  • I know that she was born to a terraformer. She thus grew up in, and was strongly involved with, a group of aggressive lobbyists that fought to prevent environmental protections.

I see Kelb's reaction, and grit my teeth in frustration.

• Jaina's hurt? I put a hand on Tott's arm, and look up at him, "Tott, I need to check on Jaina. Something's wrong." If he follows, he follows, and that's zeng.

I'm heading straight over to her, reaching down reflexively for my heavy blaster, that isn't there, of course. Stupid club rules. Is Squall talking to her?
  • I follow Kelb, hovering and shoving to help get people out of her path.
  • Both,

Jaina is gesturing wildly and Squall is trying to calm her down as you approach. When you finally do, she spots Kelb and immediately unloads on her. "Kelb, I've got work for you. I want you to beat the poodoo out of someone, let me spit in his face, then shoot that kriffer in the head."
  • I narrow my eyes at the venom she's spewing. Someone got to her good. "Let's go find them, Jaina." I look to Squall and back to Tott, "You're with me." Then back to Jaina, "Lead on."

All my sexy thoughts have vanished. Somebody hurt my friend and they are gonna pay. There's no way I'm charging Jaina for this, but we can nit-pick that later.
  • You don't have to tell Jaina twice. She's already storming off for the exit. She starts describing the person as you walk. "He's a tall guy, Chiss, short black hair, thick build. He came right onto my ship, my kriffing ship, and started dropping orders like he owned it! My ship!" As soon as you hit the halls though, it becomes evident that Jaina doesn't know where he went... She may be in shock.

"Kriff... Kelborn, please track him down... He can't have left the station. He said he was with some of my backers, but none of them have offices on Kestic."
  • "Squall," I say, looking back at her, "I need to know who this Chiss is. Go get on it right away. Tott, stick with me."

As we contiue on for a bit, I ask Jaina, "Are you behind on payments?" I reach a hand up to her shoulder, does she pull away?
  • Kelb,

Squall breaks away, bolting back for her stuff at 14's. Jaina's beyond pissed, but your touch doesn't seem to phase her at all. She shakes her head indignantly, "No! I've never missed a payment on anything! This ship is my baby Kelborn. The backers have been pushing me really hard for their cut of the business, and some of them are very hands on, but we've had an agreement that I'm in control of my kriffing ship!"

She takes a few deep breaths, and looks away. "If that sleemo thinks he can get away with poodoo like that, then he's got another thing coming!"
  • "Right, right. Of course, Jaina. I know you're good for your word, but it was close last time, right? And who knows if they are setting you up?" I try to get her thinking. If she doesn't know the Chiss, maybe there's something she isn't telling. "Where did it happen? Let's go. We'll track him down."
  • Jaina shakes her head, trying to collect herself. "He was at the ship, and I locked him the kriff out when he started getting violent. I don't know where he went."

How do you intend to find this man, Kelb? Observation and interrogation? Intuition? Being quick? Shakedowns? Something else?
  • I can't say I'm "dug in" here on Kestic, but I've been in and out more than a few times. I'm heading to the docks, where I plan on talking to the...

"Jaina," I ask as we near the last corridor to the docks, "Have you notified the Dockmaster of this assault? Do you think he knows about it already? I mean, security on the dock is better than anywhere else on the station besides maybe Deck One." I'm heading to the Dockmaster's office.
  • edited December 2013
    She shakes her head, "The kriffing dockmaster says he doesn't have access to the cameras. I think he's lying. I think he just doesn't want to get involved. Spineless sleemo."

The Dockmaster's office is actually his home. It's at the end of the customs hallway, in the crew apartments. His door is closed and locked. What do you do?
  • "All that sucking up to him and his cute daughter and he folds at the first sign of trouble?" I reply, or more accuse him. My tone isn't irritation at Jaina, more at the weakness of the Dockmaster. Of course, it could also be that this Chiss is well connected, and Jaina is in some real trouble.

"Let's start at the top, shake the tree, and see what falls out." I say as we arrive. I'm banging on the door for him. Does he have a second-in-command?
  • Go'ree is an Kiffaran male in his late 40's, and is the dockmaster here. You can hear him talking in the background as the door slides open, but you are perhaps surprised to see his beautiful daughter P'shann standing in the doorway. She looks up at you all, a little surprised, spots Jaina, and looks over to her father sitting at the table behind her.

"Dad?" She calls, "Jaina's here to see you ... With some mercs apparently."

Go'ree stands from the table and sheepishly comes over. "Jaina, I told you I don't have access to those holo-recordings... If you have a security concern, then dock policy is you hire private security."

Jaina looks to you, obviously ticked off he's not co-operating.

This is P'shann, by the way. Apparently she's half Miraluka.

Here's Go'ree:
  • "She has, Go'Ree. We're it." I say as I walk into the room like I own it. "Let's drop the holo recordings for now. I care much more about the Chiss who decided to try to steal my client's ship, right out of your docks. I'd hate to think about how the other captains would feel about this. It could cost you some serious business."

I stop right in front of him, looking up with my steely glare, "Just point me in his direction, and this conversation is over." I am committed to violence on Jaina's behalf, but I'm hoping that we can avoid this.

I'd like to Observe (Read) this guy.
  • Reading Go'Ree:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 13)

(+1 XP)
  • • is Go'Ree telling the truth about not having access to the holo recordings?
    • how could I get him to tell me where to find the Chiss, or even better, his bosses?
    • what does Go'Ree intend to do about this attack on Jaina and the thug who did it?
  • edited December 2013
    Go'Ree is lying about not having access to the holo-recordings; and further more, he's been paid off to turn a blind eye here — you can tell, because he's still got the credits sitting on his kitchen table. Go'Ree has no idea where the Chiss' bosses are, but he could probably give you a hint as to where the Chiss is... For a fee.

Alternatively, he loves his daughter more than anyone else in the galaxy... That's always an angle.

He shifts uncomfortably, "Welcome to Kestic, miss... Security here can't handle every single threat that pops up in a private domicile. Miss Dene knew this when she docked her ship here — it's why we advise captains who dock here to hire private security."
  • I nod. That's the answer I expected. "Here's the deal, Go'Ree." I say this sharp, like I'm giving orders. "I know you were paid to look the other way. Everyone in this room does. The creds they paid you are still lying on your table right there, aren't they? You've got two choices."

I hold up one finger, like a blaster almost, pointing it at him, "One. You tell me where I can find the Chiss who did this, keep your creds and we're done with this conversation. All nice and civil." I give him a snarl of a grin, like I can barely pretend to be nice right now, and not infuriated at his cavalier attitude about my friend's safety, which he let slip for a bribe.

"Or two." I throw up a second finger, then spread them and point both at his eyes, "You insult me and my client and clam up until I severely injure your pretty daughter while you stand there whining for me to stop."

I drop my two fingers down into a fist, still holding it in his face. "I'll give you till to the count of three to decide."

"One." I'm not holding up fingers right now. I'm planting my feet. I'm going to punch P'shann right in the face on three. I assume Tott has my back on this and if she tries to move away, he'll grab her.

"Two." My tone is eager. I'm eager for him to break. I've got no feelings for P'Shann. He willingly let this happen to Jaina, he deserves to feel some of the fear she felt.
  • Kelb,

I do believe you are threatening this man (through his daughter). Roll it.

Tott,

Are you OK with this? Are you going to let Kelb beat the poodoo out of some innocent young lady?
  • Threatening Go'Ree
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 13)
  • edited December 2013
    Once upon a time, it made me sick to hurt women, especially seemingly innocent ones.

But that was a long time ago, and since then I have had many a women's fist or foot in my face, stomach or groin. It's made me less inherently respectful of women - at least Alien women. Twi'lek women drag the old ways out of me without really trying.

I shake my arms loose at my side and bend my knees slightly, ready to spring if anyone tries to run.
  • Go'Ree cries out the moment your fist budges, pleading desperately, "No wait! ... I'll tell... Please don't hurt P'Shann... The Chiss paid me off, yes, but he also asked me who he should speak to about setting up an office here... I directed him to some merchants who run trade here... They're meeting tonight at the Captain's Lounge on deck 1... If you hurry, you might catch him before he gets there."

He stays put, afraid you might follow through anyway if he makes any sudden movements. He looks you all over – a mixture of fear and loathing paints his face.
  • "If you're lying, Go'Ree, I'll be back." I turn on a heel and leave, assuming Jaina and Tott are following. I'm practically jogging I'm walking so fast now. My blood is up, this Chiss is not just a one-time threat. This is a plot.

"Jaina, regular thugs don't set up offices." I say as I hit the button to call the lift. "I can put a boot to his head, but he won't be the only one, I'm thinking." Maybe we should cut and run. Setting up on Kestic, with Jabba encroaching and with this Chiss and his backers. This is getting hot. Not the good hot.

I look back at Tott. "Can you shadow us when we get up to him? Watch our back, alright?" I reach down for my... no blaster. "Really wish I had my blaster."
  • "That makes two of us. At least I have my chain." Since it was arguably decorative, they let me hold onto it at the club. "I'll keep back, step in if things get hairy. We could go back to the club, get our weapons, hit this guy when he's leaving the meeting."
  • Tott has a very good point.

I turn to Jaina, "Tott's right, we're going in half-cocked and unarmed. We know where he's going now. We don't have to chase him all over the station. Let's regroup back at 14's and get ready for this."

I let the lift doors close after we step in. But we're heading to the main level, not Deck 1. "We can have Squall watch for him on Deck 1 while we get our gear. Then, when he comes out of the meet with the merchants, we have our chat then."

I look to Tott, "Can you fetch Pem and come back to 14's?" I'm going to try and contact Nill and put her on the Chiss now.

How is Jaina reacting to this? Is she going to let us approach this smart, or is she objecting?
  • "On it." When the elevator opens up, I take off in long, hurried strides towards Diurnal Motion and its gaming tables.
  • Kelb,

Jaina is taking this rather poorly. Normally, she's composed and professional about all this — but you know that having someone attack her on her own ship is breaking her mind. She's trying not to look at you — she's not exactly objecting though.

Tott,

It doesn't take you long to find Pem at the tables. He's smoking a death stick, looking rather nervous, and is in the middle of a hand of Sabacc. He's eyeing the man across the table like he owes him something. "Hey Tott, he calls out without taking his eyes off his opponent, "come to help me win some credits?"
  • "Time to get back to business, Pem. Kelb has hired us on to help Captain Dene, who needs us right crinking now. Let's move out."
  • Tott,

Pem looks uneasy, and you spot his right eye twitch nervously at your order... He looks over to you, trying to discern whether you're telling the truth, or are just here to pull him away from the table... He whispers, "I'm 20 thousand credits in the hole here, Tott... Just give me a few more hands, and I'll have it back — then I'll go go help Kelb's little friend."
  • I lead Jaina towards 14's, and on the way, I walk beside her. "Jaina, we're going to mess this guy up, don't worry about that. But he's got backers, and I want to make sure we put them down, too." I'm looking up at her, she's a little bit taller than me.

I want to read her.
  • Reading Jaina:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 4. Total: 9)

(+1 XP)
  • I give Pem a long, deadpan stare. "You are a dumb druk. We are leaving. I will crinking carry you like a blushing crinking bride if I have to."
  • What does Jaina intend to do about this attack, past "get revenge on Chiss attacker" Is she going to bolt?
  • Tott,

Pem breaks eye contact with his opponent and looks at you like you have seven heads. "What? C'mon man, Just 3 more hands and I'll be in the black again! Kelb's a competent lady, I'm sure she can survive another 20 minutes without me!"

Kelb,

Jaina has no idea what she's going to do about this attack... If the Chiss is telling the truth about her backers wanting him on board, then running means she's likely going to end up the target of a hit so her backers can recoup their losses. If she lets him on, then she's inviting her backers to walk all over their agreement, and she doesn't want that.

She's still not looking at you when she whispers, "I don't think we can get close enough to touch them, Kelb... This Chiss guy needs to back the kriff off, but I need those backers to keep my fleet flying. I'll lose the other ships the moment I turn on them — and I don't mind losing my other ships, I guess, but I can't lose this one too."
  • Acting Under Fire to physically carry Pem out of the building:

(Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 12)
  • I slow down, walking close as we keep talking, "You've been making payments, just like they agreed to originally. What I don't get is why the change? Are they getting pressure for creds and what you're paying isn't enough? Or did you cross someone?" I shake my head. Too many maybes in this.

"I'm going to question the Chiss, Jaina. We're getting to the bottom of this." I want to, what, I don't know. Hug her? Or... something? Nah, better if I just do what I do. She's Mandalorian, she's as tough as Jazz and me.
  • edited December 2013
    Tott,

You grab Pem, and he's furious. "What the kriff are you doing?!?! I've gotta get out of the red!" But you're not having it. You drag him kicking and screaming out of this place, and even manage to dodge a few desperate sucker-punches. Once he's outside Diurnal Motion he sort of calms down, though he's still obviously pretty pissed off, and demands you let him go. "I'm not letting you drag my ass up to Kelborn. I'll have some kriffing dignity... I'll kriffing go..."

Do you let him walk on his own? Or are you carrying him by the ear?

Kelb,

Jaina shakes her head, and you spot 14's just around the corner. "They're big-time investors, Kelb... They don't just want income — they want big returns on their investment, and they aren't happy that I'm out here in Kestic, and these small time gigs. They want me taking big shipments out from the core." You promise to get to the bottom of it, and she nods.

She looks pretty raw, Kelborn... "Thanks," she says without looking at you directly, "I appreciate everything you're doing."
  • I stop her. "Jaina. I gotta know. Why are you out here doing small-time work anyways? Why not take the big jobs in the Inner Core?" This has always niggled in the back of my brain, why she's around here. I'm not complaining, mind you. But still, what's holding her here?
  • Kelb,

She looks at you, maybe for the first time since back at the Dockmaster's place, and sizes you up. It's a discerning look, like she's trying to figure you out.

What's your demeanor like right now, Kelb? Are you an open book to her? Or are you putting on a face?
  • I carry him until we're just out of line of sight of 14's place, then set him down to walk on his own two feet the rest of the way. I walk uncomfortably close, though, in case he tries to rabbit.

I've dealt with gambling addicts before. I know how they can be.
  • My demeanor? Well, I'm standing close to her, because well, I feel protective of her. I mean, she was just beaten up.

Okay, I won't lie to you, there's a little bit of me that wonders if she's sticking around for me. It's a really bad call on her part, if that's true. She's a great woman, so driven and smart. To hitch herself to an exile like me, that's just stupid, really. And it's not like a few nights of passion means anything. Sure, we're close. I mean, "close" close, and I am really attracted to her. ESPECIALLY in that beret!

But of all the people out here, the idea that she accepts me. Not accepts what she knows of me, my now self, but accepts me knowing that I was kicked off Mandalore, and that I deserved it, and yet, here she is. Close with me, asking for my help, trusting me.

Still. She'd be stupid to stick around for me. She needs to have a better excuse than that.

Yeah, so I'm an open book. With really messed up pages.
  • Kelb,

Jaina sighs, and deflates a little. "Nothing's keeping me here, Kelborn — I can leave whenever I want." She notes how closely you're standing to her, and bites the inside of her lip, "maybe I'm being stupid by staying. I didn't think I was... But maybe I am."

Tott,

At one point, on the trip up, Pem asks you, "what the hell is your problem, Tott? Why are you playing babysitter with me? A grown-ass adult, who's older than you are, for crying out loud."
  • "Maturity comes from behavior, not age, Pem. And you were acting a fool in there. That kind of druk ruins lives." I shake my head. "Also, I'm a good soldier, always have been. Kelb wanted you retrieved, I retrieved you."
  • edited December 2013
    I break eye contact, looking down. "Yeah." My voice comes out a little soft, sadder than I'd planned. Are we breaking up? This feels like a break up. I've had a few, I know how it feels. I didn't even know we were "together"... I mean, I was about to sleep with Tott, so you know, obviously.

"You've worked too hard to keep those ships flying, Jaina." I say after a pause. I wouldn't say I'm gathering strength or anything. I just needed to find the right words. "If there aren't enough jobs to keep you flying out here, then you should, ah...." Was I about to say "go where you'll be happy?" Stars, Kelborn, that's so LAME.

I know, just tell her you'll keep her flying, that she can stay here and you two can have casual sex when you like, but nothing too restrictive. Because you know, Kelb needs to play the field and be all bad news. And of course, I can keep her on retainer, like I just doubled the size of the team because somehow I can magically summon good-paying merc work from the vacuum of space! I must have some jedi powers or something because I'm just that good.

Stars, this is a wreck. What an awful wreck. I just promised a washed-out Rodian I'd give her steady pay... of which I have nearly none. I was about to break my own promise not to sleep with a team-mate and Jazz is angry with me, and he's right. I'm messing it all up.

I'm going to lose this team. And then, who am I?

Who am I? Without this team, without the work, without all the trappings, who am I really?

She needs to move on. Jaina needs to move on. Quick. I just can't say the words.

"C'mon, let's go get the team and put the hammer down on this Chiss." There, that sounds much better. I'm going to punch him alot and then I will forget this whole sad moment of existential whatever.

And I'm going to kriff Tott's brains out.
  • edited December 2013
    Kelb,

Jaina looks like she's bracing for a punch when you start hinting she should move on, and she's breathing pretty heavily by the time you back down. She swallows hard, staring off down the hall during the awkward silence, and nods vacantly when you suggest getting the team to get back to work.

"Sure..." she whispers, hoarsely, "Let's go."

Tott,

Pem doesn't look convinced that you're doing this as a "good soldier", but what else is he going to do? You just carried him out of a gambling den to get back to work, at Kelb's behalf. You make a compelling argument.

When you get back to 14's, you find Kelb in Squall's quarters. Jazz arrives just after you with the other new recruits.

Both,

Squall has her eyes locked on a security feed, and she's giving you all the play-by-play of the Chiss' little meeting. "Seems he's looking to weasel his way into the Cabal here. He's calling it a 'foothold for future operations'. The guy's name is Se'ver'kathol — people are calling him Se'ver for short. Given how open he sounds to playing ball with these people, and the number of palms he's greased tonight, I think they're going to give him membership status..."