[SWAW] Retrieval [S4 Kelb]

edited January 2014 in SWAW
It's mid-day on Elom, the warm sun hanging high in the sky not doing much to combat the chill in the air. "A simple retrieval op," is how Squall put it, "some local troublemakers thought they could swipe Guildsman Ludov's daughter, Amelia, and charge a ransom for her release. Ludov's decided we can have the ransom if we get her back." She's, of course, sitting back in the ship with Jaina, warm and cozy — not out here hunting for some pissant spoiled teenagers who got too close to the Elomin kids their age, and are testing boundaries by throwing their family's weight around. This time, though, they've thrown it too far.

"Specifically, he's looking for the head of two young men: an Epicanthix named Gris Pike, and an Elomin named Mojin K'ra. Ludov's set up a convoy of goods out of Westfall, bound for the capital, to lure Gris and his boys out. All we have to do is shoot them when they come for the caravan, and hit their camp to rescue Amelia before word of the Caravan ambush gets back to them."

Kelb,

You've got the task of hitting the camp, and rescuing Amelia. The trap has been set, and Tott is out with Pem and some of the new recruits taking care of the convoy. Your initial scouting has shown about 10 men are here at the camp, not particularly prepared for an attack of any sort. Jazz is here with you and Nill. Who else is with you (if anyone)?

What did Squall tell you about Gris that has you worried? Why aren't you worried enough about it to not take the job?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Macks and Tezzik are with me. I have Nill scouting ahead, Tezzik and Macks set up at a flank point. Nill will do her own thing while I told Tezzik to follow Macks' lead. Jazz and I will be storming in the front. Just the way I like it.

Squall didn't have to tell me... I already know Gris Pike is a master of Teräs Käsi, the deadly martial art. His niece, Zu Pike, beat the poodoo out of me when I was fresh out of Mandalore and thought I could earn some cred as a pit fighter. I tell people that I gave as good as I got, but deep down, Jazz and I know she tore me a new one.

Why did I take the job anyway? I have a blaster! I'm not going to let him get close enough.

"How are you feeling, Jazz?" I ask casually as we are waiting for the signal from Macks and Nill that they're in place.
  • Nill's already off scouting the other side of the camp, alone, when you approach Jazz. Jazz looks to you curiously before returning his gaze to the campsite in the distance. "Like I'm sitting in a pile of bantha poodoo," he whispers, slightly annoyed — of course, you probably feel the same way, as the ground here is litterally as soft as bantha poodoo. After a moment's silence he adds, "you?"

Where are Macks and Tezzik setting up?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Macks and Tezzik have moved all the way to the other side of the camp. They're taking cover by the dilapidated hovertruck these guys parked by the larger building.

"You know me, Jazz. Five by five. Glad to be on the field and about to mix it up." I answer with a grin. I love these moments, like an actor about to step onto stage. This is what I do. This is my art, not that I'd tell anyone that out loud. But, it is.

We're radio silent, just in case, so I wait for Macks. He's giving the signal, so we're green. I put on my helmet and wait for Jazz to do the same, then we're hitting this place hard. We'll come in "death from above" style, firing down, the sun at our backs, making us harder to see. Then I'm charging forward into that building with Jazz at my six. We're only here for a couple heads and to save a girl. I don't want to slaughter these idiots. If I did, I would've charged more.
  • So are you going in blasters blazing, or just trying to rush your way in before anyone notices you've struck?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Blasters blazing. I'm going straight into danger without hedging my bets.
  • People are going to shoot back as soon as you start shooting. Who are you going after first?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Biggest threat, of course!

Where's Gris Pike? I have a blaster bolt with his name on it.
  • As soon as you start running up, an alarm sounds, and you hear a blaster going off from the lookout tower on top of the small encampment. It's a hunting rifle, sporting model, and the guy shooting it is a terrible shot... But you've got a long enough distance to cover that he will probably get a lucky shot off before you can get on the place.

Why don't you Threaten these people into letting you get past their defenses?
  • Being Threatening:
    (Rolled: 2d6+3 . Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 14)

(+1 XP)
  • You come up on these guys, and take out the sniper in the watchtower before he can get any real shots off. He falls from the tower with a terrible scream, and blaster bolts come flying out of the camp's main entrance. You have the place surrounded, and even manage to hit a few of the guys holding the door when you're about to try and press against their last line of defenses.

"Wait!" a young man's voice calls from inside the camp, "Now hold the kriff on a second here! I don't know who the hell you are, but I've got a guildsman's daughter up in here with a blaster pointed at her kriffing head. Now you guys either throw down your weapons, or I'm blowing her pretty little head off, you hear?!?!"

You can't get a bead on him from here, whoever he is, Kelb.

OOC: You dealt 3-harm to them before armor, and they fought back dealing 3-harm (after size difference) to you and yours. Of course, your reckless behavior just happened to pay off this time. You suffer no harm during your approach.
  • I'll read the situation as soon as I hear the man's voice.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 10)
  • • where’s my best way in to get the girl?
    • what’s my enemy’s true position?
    • who here is not what they seem?
  • Laying down arms, and not bringing your team in, is the best way to get the girl. They know what you guys are capable of, and they know they're clearly out-gunned — they won't let you anywhere near her if they think you've got the upper hand.

Gris is probably the guy holding the gun to Amelia's head, if the profile Squall gave you is right — and that would mean he's probably standing behind a barricade, giving orders to his men from safety. He's smart, for a backwater bandit.

Someone in Gris' crew is not what they seems to be... They're way too smart. Someone's got real training, and far too much clout considering what they've gotten away with. Someone's probably an Imperial noble's son.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Gris Pike!" I call, my voice echoing with the voicebox from my helmet. "We know you're in there with Amelia. Come on out. We want to bring her home."

I glance at Jazz, "Hang back." Then I put my rifle down on the ground and start walking forward towards the building, slow and careful, hands out, showing I followed their orders.
  • There's a long pause before the voice responds, "Funny — the price to retrieve her just went up! You got the creds we asked for?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Nope. We didn't bring creds. Just blasters." I quip. I'm still moving forward, looking to see how they're reacting. "Here's what I can offer. You give us the girl, and we don't kill each and every one of you. You had a nice go of it, but I'm not here to negotiate, I'm not here to pay you. I'm here for the girl, or for vengeance. I get paid either way." Which is a lie, of course. But they don't know that. I'm hoping Tezzik and Macks are setting up a nice crossfire. This is going to get ugly fast.
  • There's another long pause, "You lie! Ludov would never risk losing his precious daughter! Why the kriff would he have sent you, instead of blowing us up? You and your friends have 3 seconds to drop your blasters and run. I hear a single blaster shot, and this pretty little lady's not walking out of here — got it?"

He gives you a second to reply before shouting, "One!"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Well, he has me there.

"Alright, Gris, you got me. I've already dropped my rifle, though. Let me come take a look at her, make sure she's still alright. Just me."
  • Two men poke their head out to see whether you're lying, and there's some hushed discussion from inside the camp. "There are two men at the gate. If they see a gun on you, they're opening fire, got it? Otherwise you — and only you — can approach the camp, nice and slow."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I stop to very slowly and carefully pull out my heavy blaster pistol and put it on the ground before moving any further. Then I walk into the camp.
  • You're checked by the two men at the camp's door before being allowed to enter, but they will vet you if you left your Vibrosword behind as well. Presuming you did, you're brought into a large room filled to the brim with weapons, crates, tables, chairs, and beds. There's a cooking pot in the middle of the room, and some tables around it. You spot a pair of familiar faces ducked behind some crates — it's Amelia and Gris. Amelia looks completely panicked, and Gris has a gun to her head. He gradually stands up from cover, and eyes you up and down.

"Now that you see Ludov's precious little girl's still breathing. If you want her to keep breathing, then I want double the agreed upon ransom for this slight, and I want it by end of day today. You're gunna send your boys to get it, and we're gunna sit here and talk until they get back — got it?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Take the gun off of her, Gris. You made your point." I say flatly. I'll go along with this, radio my team to "head back", but they're not leaving. There's no ransom. I'm just going to have them fallback and wait for all hell to break loose.

When we get a moment, I'll casually mention, "I fought your niece once. She's tough. Did she learn from you?"
  • Gris looks over to one of his Elomin henchmen — a wanted man named Degu Fri'tik — and motions for him to come take Amelia, then motions for a young human (who wasn't on the wanted lists that you're familiar with) to run upstairs and check the watch tower. Degu takes Amelia by the arm, and they shuffle around while you talk about fighting Gris' niece. Gris comes out from around the crates, slipping his blaster into his holster, and sizes you up.

"Which one?" he asks, trying to piece together who you are, "you look like you could shoot the wings off a fly, but I'm not so sure you'd take too well in the pit." He's keeping a respectable distance from you, but his boys are watching you like a hawk.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I watch them all move around. Gris is definitely in charge. Weird how I got the feeling that someone with connections might be here, but I just don't know who it might be. I answer his question, "It was Zu. A few cycles ago. You're right, she beat me pretty handily. Of course," I smirk confidently, "I've learned quite a bit since then. I'd love a re-match. I'm tougher than I look."
  • Gris shoots you a dubious look, and cracks his neck, "yeah, I bet you would. I'll be sure to send her a message that a mandalorian wants to try and kick the poodoo out of her again."

OOC: Actually, let's roll that combat custom move here — since you ordered your crew to fall back while you dealt with this.

When you issue orders to a crew during combat, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9 hold 2. Spend your hold 1-for-1 to:
    • Expose someone/something to you.
    • Provide cover to a teammate.
    • Extract someone who is pinned down.
    • Redirect an attack on yourself.
    • Cover your six.
    On a miss, your orders are executed to the T — but an unforeseen circumstance complicates things.
  • Let's see how they follow my orders then:
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 4. Total: 13)
  • edited October 2014
    (oh, that was +1 XP)

Of course they're covering my six.

I'd like them to expose Gris to me.

They extract Amelia, too!
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I move a little closer to Gris, maybe arm's reach. "Who's the better fighter? Uncle or niece? Maybe you can pass the message along with feeling?" I'm giving him an almost flirty tone. But oh yes, I'm ready to throw down.

I'm still in my chestplate and lower half. Just my arms and head are exposed. It's more comfy.
  • Gris narrows his eyes, and calls up the ladder on the side of the camp, "Her friends gone yet?"

The young man who ran up to the lookout calls down, "I can't see 'em... I'd say they're gone."

Gris looks over to you, then around the room, and points to the tables. "Clear us some room, boys — I haven't had a good spar in a long time!" He smiles, and starts limbering up, "take off your battle armor — I don't spar with blasters, miss..."

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Yeah, I can do that, Gris," I say as I start undoing the fasteners on my chestplate. I lift the front off, showing my sweat-damp a-shirt underneath. I flash him a predatory smile, "It would be my pleasure."

I'll make a show, not a strip show, just, you know, take my time revealing myself. One leg up on the table, slipping my leg grieves off one at a time. Then, in the space of a few minutes, I'm in my slicks, which are my form-fitting pants, and my a-shirt. I'll start stretching a bit, getting my body limber and ready to fight.

Once I'm ready, I'll pop my neck and fall into a ready stance. 'Wanna dance, stranger?"
  • Gris moves into a relatively loose ready stance, and you can see a ton of openings off-hand — but you think that might be part of his style, to lure you into a trap. He smiles and nods approvingly at your friendly taunt, then lunges at you with an opening volley of blows that would make a Rankor nervous.

Act Under Fire to deflect the blows gracefully.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I note the openings, ignoring them for now. I'm not going to take the bait. Not yet. When he comes in furious, I go full to defense, throw my forearms and elbows, even my knees up to protect myself. No need to take any pain right away. I can endure it, but there's no need to stick my chin out.
  • Acting Under Fire:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 1. Total: 3)

(+1 XP)
  • OOC: Harm roll for Kelb.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 5, 2. Total: 8)
  • Have you ever had your arm dislocated, Kelb? How about in three places?

Gris moves in and toys with you for a few blows, leaving you scraps for opening for what seems like an eternity. He's too quick. You're sure you could lay the hurt on him if you could just break his chain, but he's got you on full defensive right now. When he finally does offer you an opening, your brain is telling you not to take it — you know it's a trap — but you do, and he uses your stance to launch you forward over a table, twisting your arm ever so gently in mid-air while you fall. You feel a quick sequence of *POP*s in your right arm. It hurts like kriffing hell. OOC: Suffer 1-harm AP.

It's plainly obvious that Gris isn't playing. He stares you down, and circles you like a wolf circles its pray. You can tell from his stance that next time he's aiming to knock you out cold. A cursory glance reveals that Amelia isn't in the room anymore — you must have missed them dragging her out of the room... But where the heck did they take her?

Gris moves into position as you stand. He's got a grim look on his face. What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I haven't had my arm dislocated before. It's... interesting. It hurts worse than a broken bone, I think. The body has a natural defense to pain, and I'm wondering if somehow the dislocated arm pain sits under broken bone pain. I've run on shin splints, I fought hand-to-hand with a broken wrist. I even went through a live fire obstacle course with three broken ribs. Twice.

My eyes water up a little, and I wipe at them as I stagger up. "That was.. wow." I mutter, more to him than anything. This is so great. I swear I think I can pull off the first couple parts of that move just from watching it.

I nod, and charge forward. I'm going to try and capitalize on my own bullheaded-ness right now. I'm going straight in, relying on my speed and my grit. I can take him. I can take him!

I'm going for those openings right now. If they're there, I'll kick him and hit him faster than he anticipates.
  • edited January 2014
    Sounds like you're Threatening this guy to let you take him out. Good luck!
  • Threatening Gris:
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 3, 4. Total: 10)

(+1 XP)

• OOC: You suffer no harm from that, thanks to your daredevil instincts.

Gris doesn't yield to you. You spot him setting up that same attack he did last time, but this time you let the opening slip — and while his fist in your ribcage hurts, it doesn't hurt nearly as much as the elbow to the face you gave him. He staggers back, blood pouring from his nose, and his men take a few nervous steps forward pulling out their blasters.

He lifts his hands to stop them, and looks at you again. "Now, now... The girl got one fair and square. Let's not be hasty!" Of course, as he finishes that last sentence, he lunges at you again — this time with the ferocity of a wampa. If you let him hit you, hard, you know you can open up his defenses, and end this quickly — but if you want to tease it out of him, then tell me Kelborn...

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I will take that shot. I will endure it. I am stronger than he thinks. I want to beat him. I want to end him and collect my bounty. Then me and my team will wipe the floor with the rest of these guys.
  • OOC: Harm roll.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 3. Total: 6)
  • He unleashes a powerful kick on you that feels like a full on transport hit you. You're sure it broke a few ribs, and you stumble back a few blows — but not before you grab his leg and pull him back with you. He swings forward, off balance, and you plant your forehead into his broken nose. You don't even hear him scream as he falls back to the floor like a bag of rocks — he was probably out cold as soon as you hit him.

Silence fills the room, and nobody knows quite what to do with their boss out cold... But you bet your ass when they come to a decision it's going to be violent.

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    YES! I did it!

I hurt! I think I should try not to breathe. Moving hurts. No no no, fight, Kelborn!

I clamber over to grab his neck. My dislocated arm disagrees with that idea, so with my functioning hand, I grab his adam's apple and look up. With blood in my teeth, I'm hoping this sounds tough and not a wheeze. I tell them, "Back off, or I kill him."
  • They eye him skeptically — like he may already be dead — and take a few cautious steps back. All of them have their hands on their blasters. "Careful missy," you hear Degu whisper from somewhere behind you, "you're playing with fire, yeah? You let our boy go, we let you go."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Is he dead? I can't tell. He looks pretty dead. Wow, I really killed him? That's so zeng. I can't wait to tell Jaina about...

"Alright... fine." I say as I pivot on my back foot to look back at Degu. I'm going to let go of Gris's throat, then charge him. He's the second most dangerous guy here, and the rest of them are watching him. I'm going to take Degu's blaster away from him. I've done this move a hundred times in practice.

I hope my team is coming soon. I'm not sure how I can get to my comm on my helmet from here. This is not going to go well if I don't get some help soon. I'm almost hoping for some panic fire. I know that will get them rushing in.
  • Seize that blaster by force, Kelborn.
  • Give that stupid blaster, kid!
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 3, 2. Total: 8)

(+1 XP)
  • • I take definite hold of it
    • I impress, dismay or frighten my enemy
  • OOC: Harm roll, 1-harm.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 5)
  • OOC: Suffer 1-harm after your daredevil armor.

He shot you! Can you believe it? That nerf-herder Degu shot you!

... Well, who am I kidding, you probably saw it coming — and it definitely didn't hurt as much as it should have. You crack him a solid blow to the chest, sending him flying back as you pull the blaster from him. There are a bunch of blasters trained on you, nervously as you spin around.

Nobody's moving, until some kid near the corner of the room shouts, "Kriff, Degu — just let her go!"

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I've got the blaster on Degu, ignoring the others, "Give me the girl, let me walk, and my team doesn't come sweeping in here and wipe you guys out. I'm serious. I only want the girl... oh, and to make sure Gris is dead. But that's personal."

I'm keeping a good aim on him, but I'm walking nice and slow to my armor. My helmet. My ribs really hate me right now. A lot. A lot alot.
  • You're manipulating these guys into action, using Degu's life as your leverage.

Roll them bones.
  • Here we go!
    (Rolled: 2d6-1. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 3)
  • Degu looks at you for a second, contemplating what to do. You have him dead to rights, and he knows that. After a silent moment, he says, "Fritz?"

A young man's voice rises up through the floorboards, "Yeah, Degu?"

He looks you square in the eyes and coldly answers, "Kill the girl."

You hear a loud CONK like someone just got hit upside the head with a lead pipe from the level below you...

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Yeah, Degu is a dead man. Idiot! I blast him full on in the chest, then dive for my helmet, rolling and trying to put it on. If I get it on, I'm radioing the team. Then, I'm going to fight my way to Amelia. That's all buzzing through my head at once.
  • There's panic among the ranks as you put a blaster bolt in Degu's chest. He falls to the ground limp, and wheezes weakly as you dive for your helmet. Half of the gang has run off by the time you find the hatch, and the other half is scurrying up the ladder to get away from you into a semi-defensible position.

The hatch down to the basement almost smashes you in the face when you find it, because Fritz — another Elomin boy no older than 20 cycles — swings it open, and is shocked to see you staring down at him. His face is covered in blood, and he's fumbling to close the hatch and reach for a gun.

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I shoot him in his face. I'm done talking, this guy murdered an innocent girl. A very young and dumb one, but she didn't deserve this. The time for chatter is over. I'm shooting him right now.
  • edited January 2014
    You do indeed go to shoot him right now, but he barely gets his gun out of his holster before something grabs him from underneath and he's hauled back down into the lower levels. You hear the sound of lead pipe crushing bone, and blood spurting everywhere — then in perfect form, you hear Jazz's modulated voice.

"You like beating on little girls, do you? Kriffing think you're tough?!?! Huh?!?! How do you like someone your own size beating on you!"

When you swing the hatch open, you see Jazz take his helmet on and spit on a bloody mess sprawled all over the floor — still breathing amazingly. He's a little winded, but he looks up at you and says, "girl needs your magic hands, Kelb... Best you get down here right kriffin' now!"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I could kiss Jazz right now!

"Finish him off, Jazz. And come up here and double tap Gris, too."

I'll head back to grab my med kit, then going back to do whatever I can for Amelia.
  • Jazz has his blaster out and fires a round before you can even stand. "My kriffing pleasure Kelb," He says with a smirk. By the time you get back, Jazz has roughed up, and shot Gris. He's screaming up the ladder at the few men still in the building, "You boys wanna learn about a world of hurt, you just poke a kriffing hair out down this ladder, you hear?"

Amelia has suffered a severe blow to the head, and it looks like Fritz was in the process of slitting her throat when Jazz came up behind him and beaned him with the lead pipe he used to knock Amelia out... If Fritz had finished, it would have been painless... I suppose it's possible she survive though, if you can close up that wound and treat her properly...

Might as well roll your med-kit to stabilize her if that's what you're after.
  • I'm blowing both stock on this.

(Rolled: 2d6+2 . Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 7)
  • Amelia is not very old... Squall said her profile looked hacked, and listed her as 19; but standing here over her now, you'd have to stretch to call her 16. Blood cakes her hair to her skull, and her eyes have rolled into the back of her head. The concussion she's suffered is severe enough that she's speaking nonsense... The whole time you're stitching her up, she's mumbling, "Daddy, please — I don't want to go to the doctor. Please stop Daddy! We have to see her off! She's not here anymore!"

Eventually though, the chillstabs kick in and she starts to nod off — which your training tells you is very dangerous. You wake her, and she dopily struggles to stay awake for you. The next 24 hours are going to see her struggling to stay conscious... If she falls asleep, she could suffer massive brain damage. Furthermore, that blade Fritz used was rusted to poodoo, and if infection sinks in, she won't survive... You'll need to watch her for the next 36 hours just to make sure infection doesn't sink in.

The rest of your crew comes in a few minutes later, and Nill slips in the window Jazz used earlier. She looks over your shoulder, down at the little girl you're working on, but doesn't say anything. Instead she watches your back. Jazz has been pacing upstairs, and flicking the safety on his blaster on and off. Eventually, to put himself at ease, he calls down to you through the floorboards, "Kelb, she gunna live?"

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "It's touch and go, Jazz." I answer him. "Nill, I can't really lift her by myself. My arms messed up a little. Can you help?"
  • Nill looks surprised that you would even ask to do that, rather than just order, but she nods and offers, "I'm not much of a medic, but I've reset a few bones in my day... Want me to ... Y'know..." She motions to your arm.

That's something best left to a medical professional, Kelb, and you know that — but she could at least get it back in the socket... Worst case scenario you need to go to a doctor, have it dislocated and reset again. It would just hurt a lot.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I nod. "Let's get it back in the socket, at least."

Yeah, should have ordered her. Stupid pain.
  • She resets your wrist first, and it hurts like a son of a bantha. It's clear she's not a medic, and finishing the job may do more harm than good unless you can coach her through it.

If you want her to keep going, Act Under Fire. Additional Harm to yourself is the risk here.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Through gritted teeth, I ask, "Are we clear? I should, maybe, go see a medic about the rest of it, if the fighting's done." My eyes are watering. No. Stop eyes! Don't water! Be tough!
  • Nill nods and steps back, "Sure, boss... Let's just get her out of here then." She moves to take Amelia's arms, and motions over to the window. Macks meets you over there, with Tezzik watching his six, and you manage to extract Amelia without further incident.

Once everyone is out of the camp, Jazz meets you all near the extraction point. What are you doing next?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    First, I'm grabbing something off Gris. I beat that man! I'll take that shiny pendant he had around his neck, it looks nice. Trophy for Kelb, yay.

Then, we're taking this girl home to poppa.

"Jazz, gimmie a deathstick. I need something to take the edge off." I know he's got a pack, he better not hold out on me. As we're cruising back on that rented landspeeder, I'll check out the crew. Anyone take any hits? Did we scrounge anything good off those kids?
  • The pendant is made up of a small holocron that shines in the light when you hold it up. The walk over to the Landspeeder is largely uneventful, excepting the need to occasionally wake Amelia. Nobody was hit, but there wasn't much in the way of actual value there. Macks has a new vibroblade he swiped off of the wall, and Tezzik is cleaning a new blaster.

Jazz hands you a death stick and hops behind the wheel of the speeder, "You gunna be alright, Kelbs?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I ease Amelia into the back, ask Nill to keep her awake during the ride, then answer Jazz, "Yeah, I'm five by five, just got my arm in a rancor's mouth." I chuckle a bit, glance over at him. How's he doing?
  • He's pissed about not getting there in time to help Amelia faster, and irked that you got your arm busted up, but seems to be calming down off the battle-high now that everyone's out of there. At one point or another, he asks, "Why am I not leading the other team, Kelb?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    It must be the pain that makes me pause. I knew why I broke the team up when I did it. That was earlier today. But now, looking at Jazz, my closest friend and ally. Scratch that, my brother-in-arms, my best friend, and I'm lost.

He's a hitter, built and trained to strike hard. An attack on this hardpoint is where he's best suited. Of course that's why I wanted him on this team. He saved the day. He saved that girl's life. Maybe mine, too.

No, wait, it's because I wanted him covering my six, that's why. I knew he would be there when I needed him, like he always has been, always will be. I wanted to work with him, together with him. This job was a way to reconnect.

Or... was it that I knew I was slipping, and I really just wanted him to see me make a mark, to win the day. Did I want to impress him? To prove myself to him?

I don't... I hurt. Why won't this deathstick kick in? Numb me, take me away.

For a furtive moment, I look at him, just look at him. "The other team was an ambush, Jazz. This one was our style... you know? Blazing in... death from above... we... we are Mando'ade." I'm fading, am I passing out? I sound pitiful.
  • You must be... The world is losing its color. The last thing you hear is Jazz cursing under his breath, "Kelb? KELB!" The rest is hard to make out.

The gentle rocking of the speeder carries you for a while, and you're aware that you're moving. You wake up some time later, your arm still painfully sore, and dreams still fresh in your mind — what did you dream about, by the way? You're still in the speeder — but now Jaina is sitting next to you driving, and Squall and Jazz are in the back. Jazz is squinting at you with a grin on his face.

"Thought we lost you there, you gunna be OK?" Squall says in a chipper voice. Jaina pulls up to a doctor's office in the small town where Guildsman Ludov lives, and kills the engines of the speeder.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I was sitting on a Nabooan beach, right on the sand, staring at the perfect blue water, the white crests of the waves as they crash in. It was tranquil. Beautiful. Perfect.

There was someone with me, I know there was. Sitting right on the sand with me, not talking or anything. Just being with me. But every time I looked over at them, they moved or I would just miss them.

It's still in my head when I come to. Who was that? Who was...

"Gonna take more than that to get rid of me, Squally." I say as coolly as I can. I think the grunt of pain threw off the cool factor by about three levels.

When we stop, I say, "Let's deliver Amelia first, then I'm going to see the doc. Ludov's first." Wait, is she still here? I didn't look...
  • Amelia is lying in the back seat, across Squall's legs — she's awake, but just barely. Jazz shakes his head, "No way, Kelb. You were out cold for a good 20 minutes. I took charge when you were out, and I'm gunna stay in charge until doc here clears you. We're getting you both checked out while Jaina and Squall here go fetch Ludov." He hops out of the speeder, and motions for Squall to help him move Amelia.

Jaina looks to you, "do you need help getting out? Or are you good to move now?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Say no, Kelborn. You don't need help. You don't need anybody's help!

I nod a little to Jaina. "Uh huh." What are you doing?!? "Just a little." I wait for her to come over to my side of the speeder, and slide out, putting my good arm around her. She's so soft, but strong. Stars, this woman is so...

In this short time, I've figured out that having your arm dislocated in three places means there's no good way to hold it. But why does my gut hurt so bad? Oh yeah, I took a close range shot from a blaster. Ha ha, silly blasters.

"Jay..." My traitorous, pitifully weak mouth says quietly to her ear when we're close. "I'm sorry."
  • Jaina doesn't answer right away... You can tell she's trying to decide just what to say about all this, and the decision is evidently causing her some grief. "Yeah," she finally says, in a breathy whisper, "yeah, me too..." She's walking a little slower now, letting Jazz and Squall bring Amelia into the small hut, led by the female Devaronian doctor.

When you have a minute alone, she whispers, "if you want me to back off, I will — you don't have to make a big display in front of your crew. I'm a big girl, Kelborn... I can handle rejection."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Feel a little dizzy now. Eyes watery. Pain, it's the pain. "I'm... I'm a bad person, Jay," my traitorous mouth says, "You know what I did. I'll bring you down, too." I am not looking at her. I can't. I can not. I am not crying. It's raining somehow.
  • She shakes her head in a mixture of annoyance and confusion, "I don't care what you did Kelborn... I've done bad things too. I asked you to do it because I didn't know who else to turn to — who else I could trust — maybe I misread what you want, but I don't know what to do anymore! I thought we were good together! I thought we were having fun!"

She sighs, and looks away, "look... I don't have a problem keeping this professional if that's what you really want — I like having you and your crew around, Kelborn — but I don't want to make this," she motions between you, "into something awkward..."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    She thinks I mean murdering the Chiss? Is the exile so far gone from her mind? It's never gone for me, there every day. Even Jazz reminds me of it, when I look at him and know what he gave up. For me. I still don't know why.

"We were having fun," I agree, earnestly. Stars, a whole lot of fun. I thought, that it was a bad idea, her and me, and the team and how would that look? But I'm not her boss. So maybe.

I thought me and Tott could be something, like more than friends. But he's so withdrawn, so distant. I don't know if I can handle that much baggage. The thing with Squall has always been a flirt. I should stop that.

"I don't want it to be awkward..." I want to be with you! I'm already dragging you down. Why are you sticking around for me, Jay? "Can I... can I have a do over?" There! I just woman-ned up. Or something.
  • Jaina stops just outside the door, and turns to look you in the eye. There's a hesitant look in her eye, but she relaxes a bit once she gets a good look at you. She holds your gaze a moment, then whispers, "yeah. I'd like that."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I step into her a little, kiss her cheek lightly. "Zeng. I miss your beret."

This is good. I'm going to make this work. Tott can have my bunk, maybe? I wonder, will she let me stay with her? Maybe I should move into my own bunk. Is there any room left? I could just throw a hammock up in the bay.

I let her pull me into the doctor's. I want to sleep for a week. Can Jazz handle the turn over?
  • Indeed he can. If you're looking for time off to recover, Jazz can and will handle things for you. Jaina will definitely give you a place in her bed if you want it — the question is, how are you going to handle that with your crew?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Well, my plan, once I'm healed up enough to get back on ship, is to make sure Jaina's good with it, first. Then, as long as she is, I'll round up the team and chat with them about it.
  • == END SCENE ==