[Snowpocalypse] Healed up Enough (S 1.3)

edited January 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Silica,

It's been a couple days since you sullenly agreed to stay put at Wonk'ys cousin's "mine". Wonky introduced you to his cousin, a gap-toothed guy with a similar build, just covered with a layer of fat and no tan. His name is Poke. Poke isn't as attentive as Wonky, but he's considerably less angry. He's sort of like the earth that surrounds him: solid.

The leg has healed quite a bit (you're at 3 o'clock), but your supply of ice cubes is dangerously low. Not ALL of it, just the bit you carry around with you. Where do you keep the rest? Also, Wonky's getting antsy about getting back to the Skegs. Plus, this morning, you heard Poke asking Wonky for some barter, since he's been feeding you both. What're you eating, by the way?

It's late morning now. Wonky just finished arguing with Poke and he's pacing up and down the dirt hall past your room.

What do you do?

Comments

• Silica

Poke and Wonky bring home a diet of root vegetables, starch, calorie-heavy stuff like potatoes and turnips grown underground. A bit of fish now and then. Usualy cooked up into a stew over a fire... something I help with at least while I'm here. I'm not totally useless.

I spend the evenings with Wonky, in his bed. Not fucking, but I jack him or get him off each night. Seems like he comes home stressed out and it seems to settle him down.

Yeah, we are underground, which keeps the temperatures a little warmer. They like it down here I guess but once my body recovers a bit and my metabolism gets back to "normal" it starts to feel uncomfortable. By a few days in, it's hard to sit still, hard to sleep. I'm sweating and my ice is running out. I need to get out of here and find a stash, probably the one up on the frozen roof of the library on old Michigan.

They're fighting about me again, I get to my feet. It still hurts and if you knew you'd see the limp but I can move. I get my shit together, just my clothes and what I can shove into my pockets. The first few steps hurt the most, but it gets better and I walk out of the bedroom and out where Wonky is pacing. I stop in the doorway.

"Hey, uh... I'm gonna bail. It's been great but I'm in the way," I'm being as soft as I can. It really has been good here. I'm not rejecting him but... you know.... reality. "I'll see you 'round town, Wonky."
  • Wonky's neck veins are throbbing, but he stops, turns to look down at you. Breathing heavy through his nostrils, he sees you're dressed, he knows you're up and walking. He opens his mouth to object, but then, he just doesn't. He looks away,"Yeah," he answers. "It's been great, uh, Silica. I'll... see you around." He reaches up and pulls you into an awkward hug, like he's seen it done, but never tried it himself.

He'll walk with you out to the junction with the freight tunnels, unless you tell him to go away. Then you're free, on your own.

Where do you do?
  • It's weird at first. Being outside, and watching him go. I could get used to having someone like him around. He's a good guy... but he does have those angry bursts, they're scary even when not directed at me, and I know he may lose control sometimes.

I return his hug and hold on for a few extra seconds before letting him go. I feel exposed out here, the wide open space such a contrast to the "cave" I've been in the last week or so. And I'm missing my jacket... and I'm missing my gun...

I'm going to have to be more careful.

I head towards Michigan. The old library there is all smashed up and slick, a foot of solid ice on the old copper of the dome and snow drifts taller than your head in the shade. I have a stash there inside a pipe on the roof. It's totally covered by snow and pretty much invisible if you don't know.

But I take my time to get my feet. Sticking to the shadows, trying to get a feel for the city like I've been away much longer than I have.
  • Silica,

You head up to the surface, and moving carefully, you're able to make your way to the old library. You hear the snowmobiles of the Skegs zipping around as you travel, plus the big trucks of the Fishery when you get to the old library. But they're not looking for you.

You fetch your stash from the pipe, stuck in the drain in the alley of the library, and hear an odd little call. It's that weird owl again.

Have you named it? Why is it following you around, do you even know?

What do you do?
  • The walk tires me out a little so I lay in the snowbank a little bit before climbing up to rest and also to make sure nobody's followed me. Up on the roof I see that owl. "Hey lunch," I say as I dig out my stash from the icy snow. Damned melt a few days ago made everything slushy and it refreezes hard. "I got nothin' for you today," I say to the dissapointed bird.

Tried to catch that owl a few times by baiting it with some scraps but couldn't catch him . He must think I was just feeding him. I don't try to catch him any more. He's more like a bit of company now. And if he suddenly takes flight I know someone's around.

I lay back across the solid ice of the roof, spreading my arms wide after taking another hit of ice. It feels good on my back after so long underground, the cold spreading up through me. I could sleep like this, nearly do. I watch out of the corner of an eye to see how close lunch will dare come.

And some time to think.

From here I'm heading back to town. Going to keep an eye out for any of Frontside's crew... that's a start. Fuck 'em.
  • Well, you know their territory changes when they think things are hot. Wonky shooting at them is pretty damn hot.

You know... Hadden has his fingers in lots of pies. He might know where Frontside is now. Or Dice might know, he gets around enough, but then that's meeting back up with Wonky.

Lunch is just watching. He seems fine just staying close enough to see you, wait for trapfood.
  • Fucking bird.

Damn, none of Frontside's people around... guess I'll find Hadden or someone on his crew. Oakley or Handplant... I don't feel like dealing with that asshole Molotov right now. Now today.

So I'll check Hadden's usual places before looking for his crew.
  • Silica,

You head down to the Tunnels to look for Hadden. That's where you've seen him before, right? Well, guess what? You spot Handplant, walking and talking with her daughter K2 (pronounced Kay-Too').

What's K2's beef with you anyways? And why does her mom still treat you fair?

Handplant sees you coming down the Tunnel between the lights, and says, "Hey Silica. Haven't seen you in a while. What do you need, baby?"

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

K2's around my age, give or take, and we liked this guy when we were younger. He ended up choosing her cause of the ice I was just getting into at the time turned him off... I admit it. I lost my shit, went off her, ended up scratching three inch scars into her scalp during the fight. There's still a little place you can find where her hair wont grow. Her mom made us make up.. made us... not that counts for much. It was like five years ago now and it's still seething.

Why does Handplant treat us fair? Probably cause she knew mom way back when. Today I'd say it's cause I was useful to her when she needs something done topside in the cold but I think she made a promise to mom... I haven't looked in her head to see though.

I hate the fucking tunnels, too closed in. No sky... at least there's some straight-up people down there. K2 can probbaly see the look on my face. I'd say something to her if her mom wasn' standing right there.

"Hey Handplant, lookin' for Hadden. Need some info on Frontie's street snipers," I wonder if she can see my limp. "I'm runnin' a little poor so I can 'job up' if Hadden's not feeling givey' about it."
  • Handplant furrows her brow, "What's going on?" It's obvious she's not going to just up and fork over info or set you up with a job without context of some kind.

K2 is staring daggers at you, crosses her arms, rolls her eyes.

There are some echoes down the tunnel, a few ruffians squawking. That's the thing about the tunnels, too crowded, right? What else do you hate about the Freight Tunnels?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I deliberately ignore K2, which will probably bother her even more.

The sounds from up the tunnels have me visibly on edge and I can't help but stare up the tunnel like a fucking monster might come around the corner. What else don't I like? Take your pick, people crashed out here and there, aggressively begging for shit or trying to fuck me. The cracking sounds the ice makes when the temperatures change during the day, sounds like the whole place is going to come down on top of us. The heat when you go into someone house that they've managed to make "cozy" ugh...

"Some fucker tried to take me out... but can we take this outta the hall?" She must understand that I don't want this overheard. "Where ya headed, I'll walk with ya."
  • Silica,

Handplant shrugs, like she'll follow you. K2 says, "Mom, we need to hurry up."

To her daughter, Handplant says, "Go on to market, Kay. I'll catch up." K2 glares at you for a moment, then quick walks ahead.

When her daughter is ahead a bit Handplant says, "Kay's excited about selling some batteries she found. They test good. Should get her something. I'm just following her, so it's fine." She drops her voice a little, "She wants to buy herself some jewelry." Handplant's tone indicates she think's it is sort of adorable.

K2 calls back, "Mommm, I can totally hear you!"

Handplant snickers. They have a good rapport, almost like friends more than mom and kid. Then Handplant looks to you, "Alright, Silica, spill. What happened?"
  • Silica

There's so many things I want to say to K2, but I care about what her mom thinks so I keep my mouth shut. I watch K2 go and can't help but think that it must be great to have a mom like that... lucky bitch.

We walk slowly up the hall together.... I take her hand and put it on the side of my thigh, she can probably feel the bandage under my jeans.

"Woulda bit it last week if I didn't get lucky..." I think of Wonky and my face softens for a second thinking of that look of concern he wore even as he was shouting at me. "Gonna find the shooter. I need to find Frontie's crew. Whoever they send to town to trade their stolen shit, when and where... do I need to say more?"

I quickly glance at her face, a dark vengeance in my eyes.
  • Silica,

Handplant purses her lips in thought. She doesn't like this, not at all. "I get you, alright? Payback is a bitch, though." She looks at you like she's going to talk you out of it. Then, Handplant asks, "Where your sister? She can help. Frontie's assholes are a big bite, too much for you to chew, ok?"

What's the market like down here?
  • Silica

I see that look on her face and shake my head.

"Come on, it's not like I'm gonna walk up to 'em and start shootin'" I don't even own a gun, "and fuck my sister. Ok? I'm not her fucking problem... she's made that clear."

We walk, it takes a second to get Rossi out of my head. Damn.

"I just need to know where to find 'em."
  • Silica,

Handplant sighs, like your sisterly drama wears on her, "Tell you what. You get your sister to back you up, I'll point you to Frontie's go between. You can't shit on family, and Rossi doesn't hate you, ok? I just know."
  • Silica

Why the hell won't people just listen.

"Look H.P, I didn't ask for your opinion on my piece of shit sister," I stop walking, getting angry, "she's probably suckin' off some toothless bastard's prick up on forty-five and lookin' to forget I ever was. Fuck her, allright? I don't wanna hear that name." I'm almost ready to just say fuck it. My eyes are tearing up just from thinking about this shit.

I raise my arms for a second, then drop them to my sides, "so do ya know where I can find 'em or dont'cha?"

I'm not into this friendly shit with her any more. She deals or I walk.
  • Silica,

Are you trying to Manipulate her into telling, threatening to stop coming around, using that connection as leverage? If so, hit the dice.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica
    Yeah, sure, manipulating her.
    (Rolled: 2d6-1. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 7)
  • Silica,

"You shouldn't talk shit about your sister, Silica!" Handplant says, sort of shocked that you'd say this kind of stuff. Is this a normal tirade and she's just conveniently forgetting the past, or was the fallout between you two really big this time?

Handplant looks at you and your frustration, then relents, "Silica, baby. Promise me that you're just after info, alright? I mean, if you're going for payback, come see me at least. I'll help... somehow." She peers at you to make sure you agree, then says, "Forum is your guy. He's just in it for jingle, so a good scare should get you all the deets you need. Just... be smart, ok?"

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

The hurt between Rossi and me goes way back. Sure, occasionally we end up on the same side of something and we don't talk about it so maybe people just assume we're all good like sisters should be right? But we're not all good, probably never will be. Handplant pushing me to rely on her like that really touched some raw nerves and set me off.

Handplant talks to me like she talks to her daughter, though. I can't take it out on her, "ok, ok... yeah I'm not gonna to set foot on their turf lookin' for a fight, okay? But I can't just let it slide you know?" I shake my head again. My leg fucking hurts and I rub it with the heel of my hand. "I was just takin' a fucking walk and I gotta beg for my damn life?"

I meet her eyes for a good second before adding.

"He knows who I am... shot me for nothin."

I nod by way of a simple acknowledgement of the help and go to find Forum at the market.

You asked about the market. It's a big open area connected to the tunnels, used to be an underground parking garage. Lot of space though the ceiling's too low and half the place is angled up on ramps. People bring their shit, laid out on folding tables or blankets. Some are just piles of shit like boots and clothes you go wade through to find somethin' and others have more of a thing built up.
  • Cool, Silica.

You head into the market. How busy it normally? How about today? Anyone do security? Or do the merchants look after each other or what?

Not too hard to find Forum, he's set up a stall. That's new. Normally he just pawns shit to move fast and goes on with his business, but maybe he got something new going on because he's set up a stall or whatever.

This is Forum:

"Hey there, runt," Forum says when he sees you. He's sitting on the tailgate of a dilapidated station wagon, most of the stuff he's selling sitting on the cracked concrete or in the wagon beside him.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I take a deep breath before walking into the market, meandering a bit before arriving at Forum's new stall.

"Hey, uh..." I don't really know quite how to put this. I've pawned stuff to him before... I mean that's how I make a living really. Selling shit I find. "you look like you're doin' good these days... you know? We done some good business right? I bring you good shit right?" I look at his stuff, the car parked in a good spot, "look I'm not gonna bullshit you, Forum. I'm lookin' for someone on Frontside's crew... I had a little trouble with 'em and I need to work out an arrangement... I heard you might know who I can talk to."

I nod a little hopeful nod to him. Maybe honesty (sort of) will pay off for once.

There's too many people there for my tastes, if that explains it. But it's not really the people I dislike so much as being stuck in here with them. There's nowhere to look where there's nothin' to see and it gets on my nerves, overwhelms me.

Security? Naw, they just look out for each other. Anyone tries something'll probably get jumped by half a dozen merchants.
  • Silica,

Forum shrugs, but yeah, he's doing alright. He looks to and fro when you mention Frontside. "Whoah now, runt. I don't got no play with those guys. They're bad news, yeah?" He looks over at another merchant, Crail, says, "Crail there lost a daughter to 'em. Nope, no friends of mine."

He leers at you, then says, "You wanna buy something? I got some nice clothes, look real sexy on a girl like you."
  • Silica

So that's how it is. Yeah, I don't blame him for keeping his secrets.

I soften my smile as well as I'm able and step over to him. I kneel down behind the car to look up at him and rest a hand on his knee.

"Are ya sure Forum? I mean... guys' gotta be pretty tough to deal with Frontside's crew, right? You know... I really respect a guy with powerful friends." I lookup at him, eyes wide and hopeful.

"You're better than Crail right? Aint ya?"
  • Reading Forum.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 5. Total: 9)
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

Forum looks over at Crail, and yeah, for a glimpse of a moment, you see a snide look that he barely hides. "Yeah, I've got friends, runt." He puts a hand on your shoulder, "How bad you wanna make nicey nice with Frontie's guys? Maybe you make me happy, I make them happy?"
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I bite my lower lip and run my hand up his leg, "I just want to know who your contact is, and when he comes by... so I can meet him on the quiet... you don't want your rep' getting mixed up with mine... right?"

I need to keep this quiet.

I start to crawl up into the car, getting my face close to his, "now you can show me who it is cant'cha?"
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

Forum chuckles, "No, runt. Nobody round here would like me any more if I messed around with a junkie like you." He turns his face away, like a showy rebuff, but his hand wanders to your thigh. Unfortunately, he's getting close to the wound.

"Meet me up on 47th, at that five story brick near the Wall of Respect tonight. I'll get you a meet with the guy there." Forum slides his hand back off your thigh, Silica. "I figure you can show appreciate for my help then, yeah?"

(He's talking about this area)

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I put my hand on his, holding it on my leg, "Forty seventh? My sister's place is up there and I do not want to run into that bitch...how about..." I slide up, a little closer to his crotch, kind or motioning inside the car. "I show you some appreciation right now... and you just tell me who I'm looking for... someone must come 'round town to find you right? And you don't want to run all the way up there for this do you? Its cooold out there."
  • Silica,

Forum wasn't lying about the merchants' opinion of an icewalker like you. But still, you are a cute little thing...

Give me a seduction roll, let's see what the dice say.
  • Seducing Forum:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 4. Total: 8)
  • Forum looks around. Over at Crail, who's falling asleep in his crapass lawn chair. Back at Sims, who is slowly polishing one of her toasters. He motions into the back of the wagon with his head, "Alright. A quickie, and I'll tell you who to look for. Just, uh, don't freeze my dick off, alright, runt?"
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

Cant help but laugh at his little joke, sure.... I climb up into the back of the car. He's not the worst guy in the world but I really hope its worth it. I pull him in after me. Let's get it over with.

Silica, stop thinking about Wonky.
  • Fire off your Sex Move on Forum, Silica.

Also, how was it?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

It's just ok, I mean I'm not doing this cause I like him. This is business. But he's a decent guy, keeps clean...ish. I've done worse things. Much worse.

Would like to skip the sex move when the sex isn't intimate, if thats ok?
  • Alright, I'm going to rule that the encounter with Forum will not trigger a Sex Move for Silica.

Once your done, a very shivering Forum says with chattering teeth, "F-f-f-fuck, that was awful, runt! I think my dick went numb! Next time, there won't be no damn next time. Grass or gas, no ass.... shittttt." He's rubbing his dick to warm it up and then he sees you waiting. "F-f-f-fine, the guy who br-brings me Frontie's sh-shit that the-they scrounge is Hoho. F-f-fucker's keeping up at the crossover between the Freight Tunnels and Underlake. Deals with Hadden sometimes, but who don't"

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I spit his junk in an old coffee cup he has sitting there, feeling a little more than disgusted with myself. Bastard. Makin' me feel like shit after giving him his fun. I hold the resentment inside at least until he gives me the infomation.

Spend hold: Is Forum telling the truth? (about the contact)

"Piece of shit... damn right there won't be a next time," I say, roughly wiping my face with the back of my sleeve. "Hoho... yeah, ok. Fuck you too Forum, I'll see ya if I find shit to sell."

I lower myself from the back of the car, settling again on my feet. A sharp pain shoots through my thigh to remind me why I'm here. Worth it I hope.

I'll spare him another sharp and sullen look while making my way out of the damn market. Heading towards the crossover.
  • He's telling the truth.

Silica, tell me about the crossover. Is it contested ground, or some kind of neutral space or what?

Finding Hoho isn't hard. He's a fat sonofabitch who just loves the shrimps from Palmer's. He has a small flat at the very end of the Freight Tunnels, used to be a kind of holding area between aboveground and below. Ladder to up top, concrete walls. Nothing special, really, not opulent, only batteries for power, no juice lines.

What's the plan?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

Not what I had in mind. Hoho won't do for what I had in mind at all. But I make my way to the Crossing. It's dangerous there, as a kind of neutral zone between different areas of control. But not so much for someone like me. There's thieves, even small bands of thugs. But they're looking for rich trade and scavenge that passes through more than small fry like me.

I follow the tunnels there, being careful to avoid trouble. I've had my share of trouble. Forum left a bad feeling inside me and I don't want to do that again... not today. It shouldn't bother me so much but I woke up this morning with a legitimately nice guy and these fuckers don't compare.

So the snipers come here, then? Fine. I'll wait. Hoho isn't going to be able to do what I want done. I find a spot outside, where I can see the place. Cover up with some snow if I have to keep hidden. I wonder how often they come. I know they've been shooting the last few days, even with the warm weather, and they're going to have goods to sell. I wonder who it'll be. If I'm lucky... which I'm not... they'll send Grab himself.
  • Silica,

When you lie in wait in the snow for someone, roll +Sharp.
    On a hit, choose options. On a 7-9, you find who you're looking for, but they've got company. On a 10+, take a +1 Forward in dealing with them.

On a miss, someone finds you.
  • Laying in wait:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 5. Total: 11)
  • edited January 2014
    This area aboveground, it's actually an intersection of a couple streets, the entrance to Hoho's is through a sewer cover and down. The best place to hide is somewhere near the Wall of Respect (near Honeysuckle Playlot Park).

It takes the rest of the day before you see him, but as the sun is setting, sure enough, you spot old Grab, with a duffle full of other people's shit. He's heading towards Hoho's, doesn't see you.

This is Frontside Grab Indy:

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

It's good to be outside, the snow feels cool and perfect on my body and I know I've been inside too long. It makes waiting bearable, and my leg can use the rest.

There he is, and near dark, too... how perfect. He's even come alone? Finally something's gone my way. Does he have his rifle? Is he wearing those fucking blue goggles? Is this the ass hole who shot me?

I wish I hadn't traded my pistol, but I need to make the best of this chance.

I quietly slip down to the street to shadow him a block or so and watch how he moves. The cocky bastard, my hands tremble with a rage thinking about him. Up there in some window and fucking pulling the trigger on me even as I'm trying to run for my goddamned life. I would be dead if Wonky hadn't.... no no damn it. Don't think about him.

The sniper caught me off guard last time, but this time he's got my full attention and we're in my element. I'm better than him... come on Silica, let's prove it.

"Hey!" I call out to him. He'll be surprised to hear a girls voice out here in the growing dark and I've been practicing some dark things to say to him, but for some reason my eyes are wet and I'm suddenly choking up a little bit, "you..." I reach a hand out to him like I'm gonna say something more but I notice I'm trembling and the words just won't come.

I must look ridiculous, am I crying?

But I can't let this man get away with hurting me. I just fuckin can't...
  • Silica,

As Frontside Grab comes closer and you're tailing him, you see those blue goggles around his neck. His rifle is slung across his back, over his big fur-lined parka. It's him, he shot you.

You call out to Grab, and he pauses for a second, his back to you as he was hunched down, about to pull the sewer cover up. He turns around in the dim light, looking around for your voice, his hand creeping to a pocket, not drawing anything out, but probably reaching, just in case. He's all alone here, completely exposed. You could be a lure, a trap. No sane person walks around alone.

For a moment, Frontside Grab peers at you. Does he know you, Silica? "What? What do you want?" His voice has a hint of nerves, he's on the ground, no advantage. But you're just a girl. You must be part of something else. What's going on? You hear it in his face in his head.

What do you do?
  • Silica

He wouldn't know me, really, but he may have seen me around out there. Guess he doesn't immediately recognize me from the shooting. Yeah why would he bother to know who has killing.

I approach, his indifference fueling my anger and his anxiety encouraging. I feign chills, wrapping my arms around myself and acting as if i'm as cold as i should be out here dressed like this, "hey, uh... I know this is crazy but... I'm kinda down on my luck... you lookin' for some company tonight? I'm fuckin' freezing and I got kicked outta my place... I got nowhere to go..."

I get as close as I can, should be obvious theres nothing in my hands. Hopefully he's in need of some company.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

Go ahead roll Seduce for this.
  • Seducing Grab.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 4. Total: 12)
  • My goal is to get him alone and close to me, get his guard down.
  • Silica,

Frontside Grab peers past you, turns around to glance up at what must be his guess of good hiding and sniper points, then looks back to you. A slow, predatory smile spreads on his face. "Poor little girl. You got no meat on your bones, you must be cold. Yeah, I'm heading underground, you can come with. I'll make sure you're warm tonight, at least."

He waits for you to come closer, then bends back down to remove the sewer cover, "I got a daughter about your age." He slides the cover over, gestures for you to go down first. Down into Hoho's little flat.

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I play along, trying to look as cold and desperate as possible. It's not far from MY true feelings, I hate him. What I had to do to find him sucks... but I gotta do this. Hold it together Silica.

"Oh man that's awesome, you don't know how much I need this,"

I come near, fucking nervous. I'm going to go through with this. He's given me that line about a daughter.... sure... a loving parent.

"Oh yeah? Then you gotta be all right... " I touch him on the arm as I slip past and down through the cover, letting my fingers slide down his arm. He's probably wearing his cold weather gear, but he can feel it.

I slip down inside. I don't come here often so probably nobody going to blow it for me... anyway if someone does know me they wouldn't be surprised. Just looks like I'm turning another trick.

Wonder where he's taking me. He's arriving late, maybe he's gonna spend the night round here.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

The ladder heads down maybe twenty feet, stops at a sewer junction. No muck down here, thankfully, it's all frozen solid after today's melting. Speaking of which, Frontside Grab makes some idle conversation as he follows you down, "Crazy sun out there, yeah? Makes somebody think they can live up top again. Actually feels nice... for once."

The sewer junction heads back towards the Freight Tunnels, and Grab leads you there, "You know Hoho? He's a friend o' mine. I'm crashing at his place..." he looks back at you, gestures for you to move up so he can put an arm around you. "Check that, we're crashing there. You can call me Frontie, lil girl. What's your name?"
  • Silica

I get close, let him show his "possession" of me and wrap an arm around his waist to rest my hand above his hip.

"Yeah it's kinda weird out, isn't it?" Hoho, huh? Well that's not ideal. I don't like the bastard. Few times I've come through here he's stared at me in a really uncomfortable way. I can tolerate a lot and he just makes me uncomfortable.

"Call me Sill... my friends call me Sill," nobody calls me that, "ok Frontie?" I lean into him a little bit. Make him feel like things are going his way and dreading having to stand there in the room with Hoho... I hope this all happens quickly.

I tighten my grip around him a little bit, "you're really strong... you a hunter or something? That's amazing."
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

Frontside Grab Indy chuckles when you grip his arm, looking down at it when you compliment him. "Yeah, I get out of doors. Hate being cooped up down here, really. But sometimes, a bed is hard to pass up, right, Sill?" Grab leads you to a metal fire door where the bottom half is rusted half off. Inside is Hoho's, a place marred by the stench of human sweat, with a light undercurrent of rotting food. There's a TV blaring some theme show you recognize. What's the TV show? When did you see it last?

Hoho is busy munching on the inside of a can of probably spinach. There are mismatched pieces of furniture scattered haphazardly in this wide concrete space, a small griddle, even what looks like a deep fryer.

When you enter, Hoho turns to see Fronstide Grab, and then you. He'd know you, right?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

Ugh, it's hot, it stinks.... and Hoho. I have dark thoughts on my head as I walk up the hall, arm in arm with my would-be killer.

"Yeah, i'd love to have a bed tonight, Frontie, it's been ages since..." if I have a chance, I'll tag him with my ring. But only if the time is right, it takes a distraction.

But as I crawl through the broken door I hear the teevee going, and it's something I know, did Hoho trade for this od set of shows? Cause they used to have them sometimes for movie night down in the Commons when I was a kid. Saved By the Bell, it's called.

I stand up, entering the room and see the screen. I forget, for a moment, why I'm here and I just stand there staring at it. Feeling nostalgic and that feeling of wonder you sometimes get from old amazing things like teevee. There's beautiful people... around my age I guess, just living in this amazing time, without a worry.

Probably end up standing there watching until someone says something. I'm embarrasingly transfixed.

Yeah, Hoho knows me as some junkie, I guess, that's what most people would think of me. I don't trade with him or anything, I'm not that high-grade. Would he know much more about me? I don't know. Doesn't seem like he gets out much.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

Hoho laughs and laughs at the skinny guy on the show, the one with puffy, curly hair. He keeps calling him "a fucken riot", and trying to mimic his antics, but his fat fingers and face aren't nearly as expressive.

At some point, Frontside Grab is talking to you, "Sill, you're damn freezing! Are you..."

"She's an icewalker junkie, Grab." Hoho says with a sidelong sneer. "Freeze yer dick off in that snatch, man. Best kick her skinny ass out."

Grab looks at you, his arm sliding around you, "She must be coming off it, Hoho. She asked fer a place to crash to keep warm, yeah? C'mon, Sill. We should get some hot coffee in you. My girl got real messed up on that shit once."
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

Shit.

Hoho's jab snaps my attention from the teevee, and I shoot back at him, "screw you, man... yeah I used that shit before, but i'm not a fuckin' snowman."

Hoho could mess this up, but Grab thankfully is pretty well sold on the idea of taking me to bed. He's not listening, I nod to Grab, trying to get him moving, "yeah? It's hard to get over it...," these guys looking at me here makes me feel vulnerable. It's hard to control the odd and angry excitement I feel towards Grab. My hands are still shaking and I could use another hit of ice to calm my nerves. This is getting harder the longer we stall... I should have done it outside... I need to get him alone.

"I really need help," I lean up against him again like I need his support. Let him be my fuckin' hero.

Hot coffee? Uck... that's gonna sting.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

Are you going to object to the coffee? He's making some for himself, like he needs it, he's going to pour you a cup, make a thing of it.

Hoho ignores your retort, he doesn't care, really. Hell, maybe he looks forward to mocking Grab if his dick does freeze.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I'll take the coffee. I mean, it's not lethal or anything but I hate getting too warm, makes me light headed, I get headaches if I warm up too much. A comfortable room for the average person is pretty uncomfortable for me. And sitting in front of a space heater or something is really awful. It oddly gives me something resembling chills if I get too warm, as my body fights to stay cold.

So I'm just wearing my short-sleeved top, pants, socks, shoes, and my rings. Has Grab removed his winter gear? People bundle up outside right? Even on a "warm" day like this he must have a jacket and shit. He still carrying his rifle? That fucking rifle?

So I'll just blow over the cup, sip it slow. It hurts my teeth though... really fucking stings.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

He hands you the coffee mug, it's old yellowed ceramic, a picture of a kitten barely clinging onto a branch with a saying "ang in the" above it. Grab has put his rifle in a corner, barrel up, like someone would put a tool they use often. Familiar. The scope on it is probably worth two jingle alone. He's slipping off his big fur-lined parka and is there in a nice long-sleeve shirt, flannel and warm. He's covered with a sheen of sweat.

Frontside Grab Indy takes a long drink from his coffee mug, a metal one he brought with him in his pack. "Alright, Sill, you feelin better? What say we have a little fun? You want a shower before? Or after?"

"Gonna freeze yer dick off!" Hoho bellows.

By the way, there are no walls here. He's just pulled you over to the corner of the room where a few mattresses lie. It's dim here, not dark.

What do you do?
  • Silica

I break a smile when I see the kitten on the coffee mug. It's cute and I hold the cup by the very rim and handle (so I don't get my hands too warm) and look at it. But I barely touch the coffee. It smells good but I just can't take the warmth. My eyes keep wandering over to the teevee and for moments at a time I start to forget why I'm here. Then I see the gun again and it reminds me that I hate him.

The thought of a shower is actually really nice. It's been a while since I've felt clean... but showering right out in the open, and in front of fucking Hoho. Ugh... could that be any worse?

I set the mug down, I'm getting really worried. There's no place to be alone and there's no way to just... leave. He just pulls me over to the corner and it doesn't feel like there's any way out, "yeah, shower... uh..." I stand and look around the room, at the Rifle, these men, the teevee going on and on. Hoho's occasionaly laughter just makes me flinch.

Standing near the dirty mattresses I slip off one shoe, then the other and pull my socks off to place them inside, "yeah ok... after I guess."

The nervousness is overtaking my thirst for stupid vengeance. There's got to be some way to make this work...

But damn it Silica. You're just going to do this?

• edited January 2014
    Silica,

Your eyes tracking over to the TV, Frontside Grab moves in, his mouth to your neck, nibbling on it, like he could just taste you, his five o'clock shadow scratchs your chin. His hands are on you, roaming on your chest, down to your ass. He's slipping a hand under the backside of your top, reaching to touch the flesh of your back.

Hoho nearly spews out his spinach at something that the Principle says. The show, its almost enough to let you zone out, isn't it? Just these guys bringing you out of it. Grab's going to keep going, Silica. He's going to strip you down, push you down onto that mattress and do what he wants to you. He's not chatting, intent on getting on with it.

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

Fuck.

What a disaser, I've just given myself to him, to this bastard who would have killed me. Fine, I let him... he has his fucking way with me. I walked right into it like a fucking idiot. I don't cry, not really... but my eyes are cold and wet and lost as he strips my clothes. I try not to look towards Hoho, if he's looking at me I don't want to know it.

Grab pushes me down to the mattress and I just try to listen to the show, the sounds of once-normal going on, the fake laughs, the music. I don't look at his face, just try to imagine it's someone else, anyone else... but my eyes fall on his rifle, leaning there against the wall like it's laughing at me... I did this to myself. It'll be over soon.

It's not the first time, not even the worst. Why am I thinking of my sister?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

Thankfully, Frontside Grab Indy isn't too long. It's not like he's trying to make you enjoy it. You lay there, listening to the sounds of the TV, the background noise of his grunting, the feeling of his sweaty body rubbing against you. He nibbles on your body, not to give you pleasure, but more like he's fascinated with it like a toy.

The rifle sits there, impassive. The tool of death, the snake that bit you, hard. Speaking of which, your leg is screaming at you. This is unwise, your throbbing leg is telling you, in your sister's voice.

Your head swirls a bit as his body heat makes you feel dizzy and swirling. That's when you hear, under his breath, between grunts and pants, he's saying something, breathlessly, over and over, "Unh, yeah. Nollie. That's good, Nollie. Gonna be good now, Nollie. So good, Nollie, baby."

Then, he finishes, and rolls off, looking at the dull gray ceiling, saying nothing, just spent. "You can take the first shower... Sill." He says it to the ceiling. He struggled for your name for a second there.

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

Listen to the teevee.... listen... being shoved down into the mattres by his rhythmic thrusts, I just try to put my mind on the sounds from the old show. But you can't really ignore this... I try to look away but he gets into my head, I feel him... see him even through my closed eyes. I want to scream, want to push him off of me and run into the cold night snow!

Grab calls me by another name, and I shudder to think who Nollie may be. I think I know and it makes me feel sick inside.

Soon as he's off of me I roll the other way, curling my legs up to cover my crotch and get my eyes off that fucking rifle. He doesn't even know my fucking name.

I slowly rise to go to the shower, naked, I manage to choke out a couple words, "yeah.... yeah ok..."

Disaster...
  • Sex move on Grip:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 10)
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

The water comes out deliciously cold, chilling you to numbness. The water comes down like rain, not like from a hose. Frontside Grab's thoughts echo through your head, almost like memories, but the point-of-view is so distorted.

Grab craves forgiveness from Nollie, his daughter. It's never coming, since she's dead. She got hooked on ice, they fought until she went out into a blizzard. He found her body days later. She looks a little like you, at least to him.

Frontside Grab's lowest moment was watching Nollie fight his advances. She looked so much like her mother, he couldn't help it. He said he was sorry, a hundred times. Every time after, he said he was sorry.

He's completely vulnerable to you, you realize. He wants to keep you close. He wants to call you Nollie, he's still trying to work up the courage to ask if you'd mind. Maybe he could do it better this time, and he doesn't mind the cold. It's not so bad.

Frontside Grab Indy is getting up now, he's coming over to the shower, probably to join you.

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I stand under the water rubbing my aching leg and Grab's memories flow into me almost like the water carries them. I can't look at him, fuck... how can I look at myself? What happened to his girl... I don't want to see it, it hurts, and it's all too familiar.

Quickly I wash myself, wash his filth out of me. If there's soap here I'll use it, quickly scrub my hair, my face, let the water run down and get some of the sweat off me from so much time inside... but I look up to notice he's coming to join me... it's not over.

In my mind I tell him, 'I'm here to kill you for what you done to me,' I had practiced saying it a dozen times while laying in wait out in the cold. But the words wouldn't come. He steps into the shower and I look up at his face again and I want to fucking say it...

But in is face I see my father and I still can't say a word... my mouth opens pitifully but no sound will come and I just turn away and try to hide... but there's nowhere to hide is there?

I have to stop this... stop it stop it...

• edited January 2014
    Silica,

Frontside Grab notices you moving away, covering yourself. There's no curtain, you're just standing in the near dark corner in what was once a mop sink, the water coming down onto you. "Hey now, Noh... Sill. It's alright, honey. I'm not gonna hurt ya, I was..." He notices something. "Shit, girl. There's hot water. You're gonna fucking freeze in there. He moves around you towards the rigged shower-head and starts working at a valve. He's going to turn on the hot water and get in there with you.

What do you do?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I don't say anything as he reaches past me to turn the the warm water on and I cringe just slightly as his hand brushes against my skin. He steps in as the water starts to warm, probably being sure to touch me, probably touching my back, kissing my neck. From behind I feel him up against me, makes me feel small.

The water warms, it hurts... it's not hot, pretty much nobody has truly hot water, but warm enough to make me grit my teeth and have to fight to bear it.

I close my eyes, concentrate on the memories of his daughter which I somehow see... I don't know how but it happens, sometimes when I'm close to someone I see stuff like that, or more like... remember it... it's usually unbearable. As he again presses against me I steady myself with one hand against the wall and focus on his memories... focus on those thoughts.

I know your thoughts, Grab, I know what kind of man you are... what you've done. Fuck... Silica, don't let this happen again... Rossi's never going to save you!
  • Silica,

Frontside Grab is too old to get it up again, so it isn't like he's trying to fuck you. But man, his hands are on your body, and his belly is against your back, and he's kissing your ear and whispering, "Nollie, baby, it's alright. I can do good for you. You wanna stay here with me this time, yeah? It'll be better, I've got lots of barter. Food, TV, whatever."

His hands roam down to your breasts, to your abdomen, "You can do the ice this time, Nollie, I won't kick you out. Better this time, baby." You realize he's sort of lost in this, right now. Just going for broke, trying to pull you into this with him.

What do you do?
  • Silica

His hands wander over me, the warming water adding to my discomfort. He's calling me by her name again, just right out fucking calling me by her name.

Something inside me breaks and I press my body against his, turn my head slightly to one side and let him get to my neck just a little better, it's the most active I've been really, this whole time, I take a deep breath or two. He's kissing my neck behind the ear and I just quietly say, "do you promise... then... daddy? Are ya sorry for makin' me run away?"

I'm connected to him, I know his thoughs, feel his body, his sick desire, his flaccid manhood pressed up against my butt. He's wide open and right here with me, nothin' to hide.

My mind reaches out to him. I couldn't explain it if you asked me... but it happens.
  • In-brain puppet strings.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 10)
  • edited January 2014
    Silica,

"Oh yes, Nollie. I swear on everything. I'm so sorry." He's getting into this now, this is a dream come true for him, you know it. He's kissing your neck, trying to pull you around to face him. He's going to kiss your mouth, Silica. "So good this time, baby."

Of course, you did already tag him with your ring up top by the sewer cover (it happened then, didn't mention until now). Take that into account for hold.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

He starts kissing his 'daughter' again but something in me has connected with something in him. I don't know how it works, I may not really be conscious of it, not quite.

I make him feel it, know it, I'm his Daughter Nollie, who he thought he lost. And he's here in the shower, pressing his naked body against mine, dick half hard in anticipation of using me again for his own selfish pleasure. Shit, what kind of father is he? He's sorry, he says... how many times has he said sorry for fucking his little girl?

I pin my eyes shut feeling his tongue in my ear, the hot water feels like fire on my skin and the presence of this monster wakes old feelings I swore never to feel again, opens old wounds which define me.

Through the guilt and pleasure, my connection to him forces the truth into his brain... through the lust he feels, he finds this though. 'If you're a father then act like one. Treat this girl with respect, with kindness, with care... her body is not yours to defile, not your thing... you won't raise a hand to her or touch her in lust... ever.'

I hold four.
  • Silica,

For a moment, just a moment, there's just Frontside Grab's lust, like a membrane barrier that you push through. Then, you're inside him, assuring his mind that his daughter is back. This isn't pretend with some new girl, it's real.

The string-thin humanity left in him thrills at a chance to feel like a dad again, and you pull on it. You scold him, to his very core, and you sense that self-loathing that's burned in him, the fear of being called out for what he's done.

You feel him slide back and away from you, your body does. His mind is reeling, dizzy, unsure, elated and terrified. He grabs a terrycloth towel and steps out of the water, quickly rubbing it against his wet body.

Frontside Grab is facing away from you when he asks, "You need anything Nollie, sweetie?" The tone is light, like he's talking to his sweet daughter before he ever violated her. It's pretend as well, maybe there never was that time. His head is mixed up on thoughts and desires and memories now, he's spent so much time replaying them and imagining them. Who knows?

You know this for sure, Silica. He's going to try. Try real damn hard to be a good dad. He'll pull it off for a bit. Maybe a while. But when the shit hits the fan, he's going to fall off the wagon, and he's going to come after you again. Its just a matter of when.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

I shiver, even as he pulls away from me I don't really inderstand what's happened, but I know I did it. I know I changed him, connected to his fucking mind and twisted it to another direction. I slowly turn to look at him, suddenly ashamed of his nakedness in front of me.

Quickly, I turn the hot water handle off, angrily turn it, and the cold water rushes over me. I stand there, the terror I've been feeling fading... not going away but pushed back inside.

"I could... use a towel?" I say, like I'm testing if this is real. I turn off the water and step out of the basin. A quick look at Hoho to see if he's staring, but I keep an eye on Grab, in case this isn't real, in case he turns on me suddenly again.

I dry off, putting on my underwear and shirt before squeezing my hair in the towel to get it kind of dry. Then I finish getting dressed, slip on my jeans slip on my socks and get my shoes on in case I have to get out of here in a hurry.

I want to just go, but truth is my leg is killing me and I haven't eaten since morning.

This place fucking sucks... but it's a place.
  • Silica,

"Yeah, of course," Frontside Grab answers, as if it only makes sense to get you a towel. He hands one back to you, his eyes still turned away, "Here you go, Nollie, baby. Listen, you should eat, you know? I'll get you something." He heads out of the corner over by the little area where Hoho opened his can of food.

Hoho was watching you. I mean, of course, right? But Grab stares at him, you can feel it even though his back is to you, and Hoho looks right the fuck away.

In a minute, right after you're dressed, he brings you a half-eaten bag of pork rinds, a freshly opened can of northern beans, and a bottle of water. He puts on his clothes as you eat. Hoho still isn't looking at you, but he seems really freaked out now.

Then Grab comes over, fully dressed. "Listen, honey," he kneels down, takes a knee, puts a hand out to you, handing you something. "You left these behind, back then. I've been keeping them for you. I'm so..." His eyes are wet, "So fucking happy I get to give them back." He opens his hand to show you a pair of silver earrings. Each one has a small bird of some kind on it. What is it, Silica?
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

Well I do take the food, whatever I can get really. Haven't eaten anything since Wonky's place and I need it. I avoid looking at Hoho, he still bothers me but I sit and watch the teevee while I eat and just try not to engage too much with Grip.

He gives me those earrings, I take them and hold them in my hand, "uh yeah... they're nice." I don't wear them but instead set them down on the edge of the little table and look at them. Nollie... you were brave. You ran away.

Here they are, little doves or something:
    Class

I'm nearly done with my meal when I look up at the teevee again, I quietly ask, "you have any cartoons?"

When I was eight or so I got to watch a whole hour of cartoons with Rossi that time we got left at Halfpipe's place. Really made me laugh.
  • Silica,

Hoho glares at you. He was busy weeping at the graduation episode, third time he's seen it today. He's about to say something spiteful, but Frontside Grab Indy hisses a warning. Like, a real honest-to-goodness hiss, that makes Hoho jump with alarm.

The fat guy scowls, rolls off his beanbag chair and shuffles to the pile of tapes of shows and old discs and rifles through. He finds one and pops it into the player. It's an odd little show about a talking worm with a man-suit and a talking puppy who turns into a big monster when he's scared. It's filled with bizarre talking animals like a "hench rat" and a cat named "Evil". It makes almost no sense. But the theme song is really catchy.

Hoho tries to not like it, but he's lying. He loves it. He loves this show and he mumbles the words under his breath, bobs his head to the song. His face is illuminated by the blue light of the tube and this transfixes him. Not so unlike you, right?

How long do you sit there before you fall asleep, Silica?
  • Silica

Can't help but stare at that show. "What the fuck is this?" But it is catchy, and pretty fucking funny. I actually laugh out loud watching it, and before the episode is over I move over to sit near the teevee, within arm's reach of Hoho for the first time in my life.

But for some reason it's not bothering me quite so much. I laugh an embarassing amount at the show, and if Hoho gets into it at all we probably push each other to enjoy it even more.

I fall asleep sometime during the second episode, actually end up curled up on my side with the top of my head leaning right up against Hoho's leg. Glad I'm not awake to know it.
  • --END SCENE--