[SWAW] Pem [S5 Kelb]

edited January 2014 in SWAW
By the time you've made it back to town, Squall is reporting that Pem's been detained. He's being held at the Sheriff's office, and is being processed with very little chatter on what the charges are — but it looks like they're going to try and tie him to the events at the Agricultural building. Jazz is not overly pleased at this turn of events.

Have you and Jazz ever had a run-in with the sheriff here? Or did you guys behave during your summer here?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Yes, we behaved. Mostly.

There was one bar fight, but I didn't start it. There was the skinny dipping incident, but that wasn't the sheriff who came out to talk with us, so that doesn't count, right?

Nobody died the whole summer. That should count for something. Right?

"Breakout will get messy. Maybe we wait to see what the fine is?" I ask him. I guess we could talk about stuff since we're alone, but I'd rather focus on Pem right now. I hope he agrees.
  • Jazz looks down at you, furrowing his brow, and eyeing the Sheriff's office about two blocks down the road. "Squall, has his bail been posted?"

Squall comes on the comm a moment later, "no. It looks like they're not going to process him until the last minute. The cortex lists 20 people on staff there including administration and janitors..."

Jazz looks impatient, and leans against the wall opposite you. "well... They can't all be kriffing crack shots... What do you want to do Kelb? Sit tight? Jump in there?" he's not looking you in the eye again – that thing he does when he's trying to dodge conversation.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    He isn't being processed? That's all I needed to hear.

I look to Jazz, get his attention. "We don't leave a being behind. Let's try to minimize damage and no disintegrations. Fly in, grab him, fly out." I'm already heading to the area Squall designates, "Jaina, stay close, be ready for a pick-up. We may need you to swoop in."

Then to Jazz, off comm, "I think we'll need to repaint our armor, maybe get some new pieces soon, neh?" I'm pretty sure he'll like that joke.
  • Jaina comes on the comm immediately following your order, "you want me to swoop into the middle of a city? ... Uh, Ok. Try and pick a big intersection or something, OK? The Hawk isn't that small..."

Jazz chortles at your joke, and starts checking his gear. He flips off his comm and answers, "we still need to use stun Kelb? Mine's getting sticky, and the reload time is poodoo."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Just be ready for it, Jay. I will only ask for it if I have to." I say after clicking the comm on again.

To Jazz, "Yes. Jaster. Get creative." Why does he always complain about stun? These guys are doing their job. This is a nice place!
  • Jazz is ready to go when you are. Why don't you describe to me how you're going about getting in there, and taking back Pem?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    The plan in my head goes like this:

Jetpack there, come flying down like mad minocs.
    Drop a EMP grenade (my last one!) just inside their door.
    Bust in, shoot everyone (on stun).
    Grab Pem.
    I hold onto Pem, Jazz covers me, and we jetpack to a place where Jaina can pick us up in the Hawk.
  • Why don't you go ahead and seize Pem by force then?
  • SBF:
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 6. Total: 11)

(+1 XP)
  • Options Chosen:
    • take definite hold of it
    • suffer little harm
    • impress, dismay or frighten your enemy
  • OOC: Harm move. Roll+Harm (0)
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 3)
  • edited January 2014
    So you come crashing down through the ceiling, dropping an EMP on their heads and firing off stun-guns like mad... At first, they don't know what's going on — arguably they still don't, but let's take this one step at a time...

The EMP went off, and systems in the entire building went down — Squall would have laughed to learn that. It means someone was stupid enough to put them all on the same circuit. When you touched down, it took the few deputies on hand some time to figure out what was going on — you managed to get a good two or three of them stunned before they could even react, but a few of them got some shots off on you (3-harm before armor, -1 for suffer little harm, -2 for armor).

Jazz takes a few direct hits to his armor, but manages to push through to the holding areas. It sounds like some people in the back of the office are mobilizing as you round the corner to find Pem drinking some coffee in his cell. He looks shocked to see you, and quickly asks, "What the hell are you guys doing here? I had this perfectly under control!" He's got a nice shiner on his right eye ... "Under control" may be an exaggeration.

It sounds like more people are coming your way, Kelb. The lock on Pem's cell is poodoo — Jazz shoots it off and slides the door open to let him free. You have maybe a moment before the people in the back will organize and come out after you, and the people in front could wake up from the stun at any moment. What do you do?

PS: Here's a map of the Sheriff's office.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Back the way we came!" I order as I take Pem by his arm and lead him. I let Jazz move ahead, he can re-stun any of them waking up as we fight back the entry point. "Pem, I'm going to fly you out of here. I don't have a harness, so you'll need to hold on tight, can you do that?"

Comms are probably down in the static of that EMP, so we'll need to get clear before I call to Jaina. Plus, I imagine comm traffic is being monitored here.
  • Pem's in perfect condition right now, other than the shiner. He nods and stays nearby when you order him to hold on. You can hear voices in the hall screaming, "Well don't just stand there, get in there and secure them!" The Sheriff comes around the corner of the hall leading into the reception area, and spots you. He freezes for just a second before swinging his gun up at you and screaming, "they're over here! Don't let them get away!"

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I'm putting the Sheriff down, of course. Stun shot to the chest, no need to get fancy.

"C'mon, let's go go go!" I shout as we charge towards him.
  • Could you please Go Aggro to have him take the shot? (Or Intimidate, or whatever)
  • Going Aggro
    (Rolled: 2d6+3 . Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 8)

(+1 XP)
  • You fire off a shot, but the Sheriff ducked back behind the wall, and the charge leaves some scoring on the wall behind him. When you charge through the threshold and into the main reception area, the Sheriff is ducked out of sight for a brief moment. Jazz calls you over to the hole in the ceiling, laying some covering fire on the reception desk to keep the Sheriff down.

You can hear the Sheriff issuing orders for his men to get out here, and poking his head up between Jazz's shots, but it looks like you've got a clear path to get out of the building — for the moment.

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I trust in Jazz's cover and bolt into the room. The plan is to take off, then turn back and cover Jazz so he can get out behind me. No sense in trading one man down for another, you know?
  • edited January 2014
    Jazz actually follows you out as you go — no need for the return trip — but the Sheriff is definitely taking shots at you as you ascend, and you can hear him barking orders into his comm. He's putting an APB out on you guys.

Jaina calls over the comm, "we're having a little trouble here with the sublight thrusters, but we should be on you in no time Kelborn!"

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Squally, hit me with some directions," I call over the comms now that we're free. "I'm coming your way, and we're coming hot!" I'm keeping air and skimming rooftops, keeping an eye for anything else in the air.
  • Give me an Act Under Fire to get out of here to lose your tail before the Hawk finds you.
  • Gladly!

Acting Under Fire:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 12)

(+1 XP)
  • It was close for a while there, Kelb, but with some quick thinking and luck, you've managed to lose the sheriff's men as Squall provided directions to meet up — the fact that they kept changing while she monitored their comms made it only mildly more difficult.

Eventually though, you find yourself back out at the southern edge of town, facing a wide expanse of farmland, and the Ebon Hawk comes swooping in to let you all in. Tezziks and Macks are on the gangplank, rifles out and ready for trouble, as it touches down. They wave you over, and Jazz helps bring Pem up and into the ship.

Macks looks you over, "Everything alright, Kelb?" He's keeping an eye on the horizon, just incase.

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I pop off my helmet. When Macks asks if I'm alright, I pipe back, "Five by five, Macks, thanks!" I am alright, just great. I needed this. It's so zeng just zooming over the city like that. "Make sure Pem gets to medical, have Squall check him over."

Went off without too many kinks. I'm feeling real good. Can't wait to get out in space and tackle my girl. I'm really keyed up.

I guess I should chat with Jazz, though. Alright, I know we need to talk. I'm worried about him, and he needs help moving on, I think.

It wasn't easy handing over that crystal, I tell you that much. I hope the widow enjoys it.

When we're all breaking through atmo to space, I'm going to look for Jazz.
  • You find Jazz in the med bay. He was digging around in the cupboards, making a mess, looking for some tape to close up a cut under Pem's eye. Pem's patiently resting on the cot, looking like a spoiled prince. Jazz spots you and calls out, "Hey Kelb. I've got this under control. You touch base with Jaina?"

Squall is coming around the corner, looking a little absentminded.

What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Oh right, Squall. And Jazz is pushing me away. Okay, one thing at a time.

I tell Jazz, "I'll check in with her, just wanted to make sure big purple is okay. Hey Squall, c'mere, I need you." I'm heading towards Squall, gently urging her down the hall to my workout area.

Once we get there, I give her some space, not hounding her or anything. I ask, "Squall, I'm worried about you. You've been out of it since Kestic. What's wrong?" My tone is concerned, I'm trying to leverage that night when we just chatted with each other about stuff.
  • Pem smiles and winks, "Jazz here's gunna give me some good painkillers, Kelb, don't you worry about me!"

Jazz rolls his eyes and stretches out a length of tape, "easy, big purple, or I'm gunna tape your mouth shut too."

Squall peers around the corner into the medbay, and sees that everything's under control. She looks up at you blankly, like she didn't quite catch you wanted her to follow you — but she does clue in eventually, and follows you out. When you ask her what's up, she avoids eye contact. "Nothing Kelb, everything's fine... I'm just feeling a little off is all." She looks up at you, "why? Did I screw up?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Squall, you pitiful thing you! Why do I just want to hug you and tell you it's gonna be okay? No, need to treat her like the others.

"No, Squall, you're getting things done, like I expect. It's just, you're barely here." I put a hand on her shoulder, that's not too much. Then I offer, "Tell me what's going on. That's an order."
  • "That's an order," snaps her out of her comfort zone and into an uneasy space, even if your tone was more colloquial, and friendly. She shifts her weight a bit, and crosses her arms. "It's personal Kelb. I've got a good thing going here, and you've been really good to me. If you notice that I've been off lately, then I just need to find a better way to cope." She deflates a bit, "I'm sorry."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Squall," I begin, trying to keep my tone concerned, not harsh. "You're keeping things running, you aren't screwing anything up. If you want to keep it private, I won't push you on it. But you can't be an island out here. We're your allies, if not your friends. Are you sure you don't want to talk about it? I could get you drunk first, if you want." I try to keep the ending light, at least.
  • By the by, I'm trying to Read Her.

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 14)
  • edited January 2014
    • what’s Squall really feeling?

holding two
  • Squall breathes uneasy at the mention of alcohol, like she might actually spill the beans if you do, so she shakes her head instead. "No, you don't need to get me drunk... I'm just a bit messed up, is all... Confused might be a better way of putting it. I feel like the rug's been pulled out from under me... Or maybe I'm just being naive... I dunno..."

She looks up at you, and you can see the hurt in her eyes — almost a look of betrayal, but not quite. "I can't figure you out, Kelb..."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    A light flickers on in my brain. Is she upset because I told her I wasn't interested in anything serious and then I went straight into a relationship with Jaina?

"Is this about, ah, me and the whole I'm not looking for something serious thing?" I start off, and my ideas of her struggling with spice addiction have suddenly turned into maybe the most guilty pit in my stomach I've felt in cycles. "I wasn't lying. I wasn't. I'm not... well, not really. I just..." Oh Stars, I'm in a ripe mess now.

Take a breath, Kelborn.

"When I said that, I meant it. Plus, also, she doesn't report to me. Like... I felt okay with a night of fun with you, I still do, honestly, I mean, you're really zeng and I like you. " I give her a guilty smile, then my mouth keeps going, "But a relationship? I've been there, it was trouble with a capital T." I'm rambling. Somebody save me. Okay, stop there, just stop there, Kelborn. You're digging the hole even deeper.

• what does Squall wish I’d do?
  • Squall bites her lip, and lets you talk. When you finish, she shakes her head dismissively. "Kelborn... I don't need your sympathy. You're a good boss, and I get that you weren't into me — you're not the first person I misinterpreted signals with, and you made it abundantly clear it wasn't what you were looking for back on Kestic." She takes a deep breath, "this is just as much about what you did to Jaina as what you did to me. I saw the way Jaina looked at you when you made that move on Tott."

She looks up at you urgently, and lowers her voice, "I've been on the receiving end of enough broken hearts to know what one looks like. Don't do that to Jaina again. It's not fair to anyone."

You get the impression doing that would mean a lot to her... Maybe validate what she's going through.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I quirk a frown. Might as well fess up, "Listen, Squall. you didn't misread, okay? I'm into you. I was trying to keep my hands out of the cookie jar because I like being around you, and I mess everything up. I actually... just. You know, you're right. I don't want to hurt Jaina."

I huff an exasperated breath through my nose, "This is exactly why I flirted with Tott. I knew I'd mess things up with her, so I thought I could give her an out, you know? Let her be mad at me, it would be easier. But then I felt awful. Tott went away and I was really glad. And lonely."
  • Squall shakes her head, "did it occur to you that actively propositioning someone to sleep with you in front of her was, in and of itself, how you screwed up? That you might not have screwed up, if you were just careful?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    When did this become about me?

"I told you I was heading it off at the pass, Squall." I explain it like I'm jokingly frustrated, but it cuts. She cut me. "So, this whole deal, you acting all glum, is because I make poor decisions about my love life?"

Spending last hold:
    How can I get Squall to liven up, put this behind her?
  • Squall frowns and purses her lips dubiously. "No, it was because you hurt a beautiful, intelligent woman who happened to tell me she was starting to think about her future, and a long-term relationship with someone, and here I thought she might have been talking about me..."

She softens though, "but you're a good choice too... And I happen to think fondly of you, so it messed me up a bit." If you treat Jaina right, and show Squall that you guys are making an honest go at it, then she'll get over this. If you mess it up, though, you could really alienate her. It could cost you a crew member.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Long-term? Jaina and me? Gah... no. bad. Why do I feel all twisted up hearing this? Dizzy, mouth dry, this is the worst possible news.

"I'm sorry it messed you up, Squall. And... I wish you had someone as amazing as Jaina. It's not fair. Really. And Jaina probably should have chosen you." I admit. "I'm not really made for long-term. I'm not girlfriend material!"

Wow, I've completely lost my groove. Just overwhelmed with this now, these expectations, being someone's long-term girlfriend. This always goes badly. Great at first, and then awful.
  • Squall has nothing left to add. She's said everything she has to say, and she's ready to let you take the wheel. "I was what you might call a "heavy user" of spice back before my life imploded, Kelb... If I can quit cold turkey, you can do this." She puts her hand on yours, and whispers, "or at the very least, be honest with her."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I pull Squall into a hug, just because. "Squall, I'm really glad you're part of my team. Listen, I'll make it work with Jaina. If you ever need anything, you ask... okay?"

I'm going to to find Jaina. We need to talk. Or something.
  • Squall nods, and lets you go. She's going to stay put for a while, it seems.

== END SCENE ==