[Snowpocalypse] Fancy Meeting You Here (H 1.6, S 1.9)

edited February 2014 in Snowpocalypse
To Silica:

You just came into the miner's sleeping area with One-Footed and Nose-Pick. The three of you are cutting up and talking about what to eat for a late lunch. A door to "the nice room" opens up, and out walks a smiling K2. She's got this really blissful look on her face, and she's not alone. Hadden's got his arm around her, chatting with her about somesuch.

To Hadden:

You and K2 have finished cleaning up and are heading to your family dinner together. K2's all smiles and happy, opens the door to head out. You follow her, or lead her, whatever. Just outside the T-intersection here are those two Tunnel Rats of Squirrels, and they're walking and talking with none other than Silica.

What do you do?

Comments

• Naturally.

"Glad to see you back. How was overlake?" Silica has a new coat, that's weird. I hoped to talk with her alone. In spite of the crazy that's about to happen, I'm glad to see her back and in one piece with both the Rats. What vibes are going on between the two girls?

"Sister Rat, Brother Rat, would one of you deliver a good trout, maybe plus a lagniappe, to Orage? On me." I can not forget that obligation. How many more obligations will I get into this night?
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

He got her pretty good, I laugh along with them, happy that we're back safe. I'm not often responsible for other people's safety, you know?

Do I want to work here? "What like regular?" My initial reaction is pretty dubious, but it was allright, wasn't it? Fuck... no I can't get so attached. "I might swing by for work sometimes, you know? When I need some scratch..."

But then we run into Hadden, arm around K2 of all people? They were just fucking... obviously fucking.

I stop, just dead stop for a second and glare at her, a glance at him but her? K2? Fuck her... "just fuckin' great.." I mutter, clenching my hands at my sides to keep still. I want to fucking tear a new scar in that bitch, you know?

I barely hear what he says, something about fish or the lake or whatever... I answer through gritted teeth, "the lake.... yeah... no fuckin' problem."

• To Hadden:

Silica and One-Footed looked pretty chummy. They were all smiling, but the two girls, you read people, right? They seemed to be getting along pretty well.

To Both:

Nose nods to your order for the fish, Hadden. He takes off at a jog. One-Footed sticks around, like she's not sure what's up.
  • From Hadden:

Fucking wonderful... but she is cute when she's jealous. I'm not arms-round-K2, I'm talking with my hands.

"Silica, I'm about to sit down at table with the man who killed my dad and took my mom. He runs the damned militia here and all but owns the ship and if he had his druthers, I'd be dead dead dead." I take a deep breath.

"You, and Handplant and K2 and anyone here who runs with me are probably targets. I'm scared and I don't want that claybrained dickwipe to devour people I care about." I kind of chuck my hand under her chin to make sure she's looking full in my face. "Including you, 'specially you."

"Since you're back early, I want you along at dinner so we can watch each others' backs. Please, Silica. We three can work out shit later."

I'll rescue you again, if it comes to that. The force of the feeling surprises me.
  • Silica

Hard to believe what I'm hearing. No fucking way.

"You fuckin' serious?" hard not to laugh almost, but I talk back with some fire in my voice, "I don't fuckin' run with you, Hadden... I'm makin ends just fine on my own... Your family..." I struggle for the words, "shit 'got nothin' to do with me ok? Fuckers roll up on me I tell em!" I look at One-footed, like expecting her to be on my side or whatever.

I start to walk away but it's burning in my chest and I gotta say something...

"I got shit to do Hadden, fuck your bullshit.... K2... fuck..." I want to say something more to K2 but I'm getting upset. Going to lose my shit.

"Come on 'One... let's burn."
  • To Both:

K2 glares at you, Silica, sniping, "Fuck you, Silly! You aren't part of this team, you aren't part of any team, just some fucken icewalker slut!"

One-Footed takes an unsteady step towards K2 and says real hard, "Hadden, tell yer lil bitch she needs to GTFO. She don't get to call my friends no names."

K2 steps towards her, "What are you GONNA DO, you gimp bitch?!?"

What do you do?
  • edited February 2014
    Hadden:

Full of rage and fury, "FUCK THIS NOISE!" Fists clenched, short breaths. All this through clenched teeth.

To K2: "Zip it. Now."

To One-Footed: "Sister Rat, be cool."

To Silica: "Fuck my bullshit? Sister, this is real life. I like you, a lot, and I want to do you a solid, but I can't fucking abide this nonsense. Whatever teenage jealousy thing youse got here? Lose it. It does not fucking become you."
  • Silica

K2 snipes at me, whatever, fuck her... but then she steps up at One? I take a step towards her...

Then Hadden like just fucking gets in my face, no... no way... and he's got this anger on his face which I haven't seen before... and I cringe back from him. Shaking my head, I raise a hand kind of defensively and suddenly I can't look at him.

And I open my mouth to say something back but, "you..." I take a step away, shit... K2 here like this... my voice breaks, full of something, fear? The words come out between panicked breaths... "you... gettin' me caught up in... what? I'm gonna get popped cause I fuckin' know you?"
  • edited February 2014
    Hadden:

There's a second when she cringes away from me and it very definitely stings, but I have to make her understand. She might not see the flash of concern in my eyes if she's looking away. I dial it down a notch or two, but my color is still up.

"Silica, don't you see? You're a target to them because you matter to me." Like that, my temper is off and my whole posture changes, tension just gone. I rub my eyes.
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

I look at him again, kind of incredulous at first, I raise my arms halfway, shaking my head, "it doesn't look like I do Hadden." I exhale a sharp breath, glancing at fucking K2 standing there red-faced and glaring at me. My arms fall to my sides, almost like I've given up. "Then I'll just... go fuckin' disappear for a while... nobody finds me if I don't wanna be found... nobody."

But I look at him, and there's One-footed right here beside me and those fish sound good and... for the first time in I don't know how long today I actually felt wanted, and happy... and... I really don't just want to go. He can probably tell.
  • Hadden

"Don't disappear, you'd be missed." My posture weirdly looks just as defeated as hers. She so obviously wants to be here. I take her hand if she lets me touch her. I don't flinch from her cold... It's somehow refreshing.

I take a deep breath, hold it, let it out. Watch her blue blue eyes. "Take luck, Silica. You can always find me. "

And I start to head away.
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

Hadden reaches for my hand, I pull away, not so much angry, but just... it's too much... and then he fucking walks away and I don't have any words for him. I dont understand what I am to him, what he is to me? I thought ... thought I felt something in the truck between us... but he left me here... one of the kids. Right?

I just watch him go, fucking K2 walking away again with someone I.... care about? Do I? And probably she's got shit to say to me later, fuck her.

My eyes uncertain, I turn to One-footed, "so... you still wanna share that fish?" I try to smile, wishing she hadn't seen me like this and I don't really get there, "I could just take off." I thumb over my shoulder again towards the door.

Please tell me to stay... please...
  • To Hadden:

K2 follows you, tries to take your hand, slipping hers into yours more than grabbing. She looks upset, "Hadden, I'm sorry I yelled at her, and... I just hate her, ok? Mom's always treated her better than me. And I'm her daughter!" She walks a few steps, then asks in a quiet voice, "Do you, uhm, like her or something? I mean, I heard what you said..." Seems like she has more to say, but maybe your answer invalidates most of it.

What do you do?
  • To Silica:

One-Footed is still breathing heavy. She had a little carving knife in her palm that you didn't see. She was probably going to try and open K2 up. She glances down at it, like it sort of came out of nowhere and she's surprised she has it, then puts it back in her pocket.

She looks over at you, confused for a moment. "Yeah, Silica, I still wanna share it. What? Runnin' into stupid bitches cost you food back home? I say what I mean, an mean what I say." She limps over to loop an arm in yours and grins, "Sides, I want all the gossip on Haddy!"
  • Hadden:

I do take K2's hand, squeeze once. It is comfort. I let her talk for a bit, sifting my thoughts, sorting emotions and still paying attention. "Not me y'need apologies for, K2, but I'll take 'em. You know your mom's trying to raise you both right solo, yeah? That's a hard thing. Moms love you always and forever, no matter what." I do a mental doubletake because irony. "You know that, and you know you know it."

We walk for a few, down the carved tunnels, under lamps and following semidemiperm conduit tubes. Then answer her last. "Lying is too much work. Honesty's much easier. I do like Silica, and I'm drawn to her like a bug to a flame, which is really crazy since she's an icewalker. But she's fragile, anyone can see that." I sense maybe a falter in her step, and I stop, kiss K2's soft cheek. "I like you, too. Don't think I don't." I hug her tight. Then I pinch her butt, grin, and wink at her.
  • To Hadden:

K2 frowns a bit at your admission, but she accepts the hug and kiss, even the pinch. She follows you to the family dinner.

To Silica:

I assume you go get some fish with One-Footed, and we can pick up later.

--END SCENE--