[Snowpocalypse] Visit to the Hamlet (H 2.1)

edited February 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Hadden,

Your moms fresh bear stew was delicious, as you'd expect. It had a special kick, which Merrell proudly told you is some Louisiana Hot Sauce he and his crew dug up. What family showed up to this shindig? You know Merrell's bully boys are along, including Arbor, who gives you the eye like before, like nothing happened. K2 is bubbly and pretty delightful, happily ingratiating herself to both of your moms. At one point, in the room that functions as the kitchen, Tindy slapped your ass and propositioned you for some fun later that night. How did you react?

Merrell goes on about uncovering some new finds that the explosion unearthed. He calls it "makin lemonade". Of course, you lost some friends, or at least friendly neighbors, in that blast. Your moms complains about the blast pretty angrily.

That's when Smith, one of Merrell's flunkies, says, "I heard on the short wave, that Ruskie guy Molotov was the one who blew it up. He came on, said it himself. I heard it."

Then Merrell remarks wryly, "Hey Haddy... doesn't he work for you?"

What do you do?

Comments

• From Hadden:

Holy fuckballs, the stew. Mimsy really rocked it this time. I wonder if I could pack some to take in mason jars or something. It totally takes me back to hunting in the Chi-town streets with my dad and sibs, so I tell the tale about that time the dogs almost got the bear before we did, and my kid sister Lashfight totally gets the giggles and hiccups, and my bro Slash kicks me under the table before I tell mom about the other thing even though I'm pretty sure she already knows. Maybe he doesn't want some of the new cousins to know he's not lily-white? I roll my eyes a tiny bit, and it's good for a while. Something K2 said suddenly hits me, how she hates Silica- I always thought they were sisterly, close. My family is fucked up, but... Maybe this ain't the best time to introduce Silica to this particular minefield, my eyes watching Merrell. The last thing she said to me was that she'd disappear... I thought we might've had something.

In the kitchen, mmm, that Tindy. I'm down for some fun, but I watch out for she slipping some XMDMA into my drinks. I play it cool for K2's sake, but I definitely want to tap that ass before I leave Underlake.

Arbor's playing it pretty good, and my opinion of him steps up a cautious notch. Did I hear he did some performance gigs once, or was that another one of the boys? Then Smith mentions Molotov,and I kinda go on attention, aware I'm being watched. Fucking Merrell.

"Well, Merry," and the nickname tastes terrible, but I smile politely, "I've dropped jingle to Molotov T. Gunlugger to watch my ass across the lake. Who hasn't? But I was out of town when the boom went down. Homie don't play that."
  • To Hadden:

Merrell smiles broadly, and Smith looks to him. That's when you realize, he fucking set this up. He knows Molotov works for you from time to time! "That's weird, Haddy. I thought your crew was Handplant, Oakley and Molotov. I mean, that's HP's get right there..."

"Yeah, Merry," Slash agrees, "That's his crew." He seems to know all about your dealings, right?

Then Mimsy asks you clear, "Haddy, are you gonna do right by your people? I mean, you can't let one of yours kill Underlake folk... right? We protect our own."

K2 reaches under the table to touch your thigh, sort of letting you know she's there with you. She looks verrry nervous.

Oh and by the way, everyone is looking at you. Hell, even Lashfight.
  • From Hadden:

I am very still. I hate being set up. I hate that he's right. My nostrils flare, smelling the sweat and spices in here. My skin is too tight. Fucking Smith spying on me? But fuck, it's fucking MOLOTOV. My eyes feel salty from not blinking and suddenly supper ain't so tasty.

"You're right, mom. Victims need justice from a murderer. " Two beats. "Tell me, Merrell, what would you do?"
  • [OOC: Read a person, rolling+sharp]
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 4)
  • To Hadden:

Merrell flinches, like he was just caught. He swallows, licks lips to answer. Something.

But your Mimsy speaks first, ignoring his discomfort entirely, "Justice. Haddy, I'm glad you agree." She looks around at the family and others gathered, then back to you, "I can let the families know when he is coming. You set up a meeting for Molotov. When he arrives, they can take their pound of flesh. I know you relied on him for muscle, but maybe Merry will loan you one of his boys. Like Arbor, or Smith? Or... you know, Slash has been learning how to shoot. We will make it right for your business after you make it right for our people... yes?" She gives you that "don't tell me anything other than what I want to hear" tone.

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

It's almost no choice. I didn't think he was a raw psychopath, murdering civilians for jollies. If Molotov's responsible, then he's responsible. But they also said Molotov radioed, "We set up the explosives,"Who's we?

"This can't be just fucking set aside. Family matters." I hope K2's taking notes over there in her teenage brain. "I'll talk to him."
  • To Hadden:

Let's skip ahead a bit.

You're walking out of the dinner with K2, all the byedee byes given from your loving family.

K2 waits until she's damn sure you're alone. "Hadden... we're not seriously going to set Molotov up, right?"
  • Hadden:

"I'm not going to set him up the ambush. But if he claims responsibility for the mine collapse, then I'm thrice-damned sure going to call him on it. K2, lots of people we knew died here from either being crushed, or starved, or, or, what's the word- drowning in water." I slump against the wall, weary. Can there really be that much water?

"I don't get it though. He's a gunlugger, this... This is not in his character, mass murdering civilians." I shake my head, frowning.
  • To Hadden:

K2 shrugs, sort of mystified by the deal herself. "I dunno, Hadden. Guys can be confusing sometimes." She looks up at you, "Sometimes you think you know them, then all the sudden, they up and change on you."

She looks at you with the most serious look she can muster, "Not me, though, Hadden. You can count on me. I want you to... uhm, count on me." She watches you with hopeful eyes.
  • From Hadden:

Yeah, K2, I get it. I can't change how Silica makes me feel... but I can change my reaction to my feelings.

"Thanks, K2. I respect that. Your mom's raising you right, and I just try to keep up some days." I squeeze her hand, look at the floor for a sec.

"If shit goes down with Molotov in the bullet-flying variety, you don't want to be in range. Hell, I'm not sure I want to be in range. But I gots to talk to him direct. Do yall have a good place dirtside to take cover?" I'm dipping into old slang for Chi-town, lost in thought. But I don't want to hurt her feelings, she's on a spinny wheel ride these last few hours.

"Unless you secretly got some power armor I can count on?" And I make with a grin to share.
  • To Hadden:

K2 looks worried when you mention "being in range". She nods when you ask if she can take cover. "Mom has some boltholes, I know about most of them. Hadden... you don't have to do this. You can just lay low. With, uhm, with me. I'd take you dirtside."

What do you do?
  • From Hadden,

In other times, I'd compare notes with K2 to find out about Handplant's boltholes I don't know. K2's luckier than she knows.

"Yeah, K2, I kind of have to do this. I can't do nothing." A part of me imagines laying low with her for a while, showing her a few more ropes... but fuck, Molotov. I gotta deal with him. And Merrell.

"Get with Handplant. Yall take off before nightfall, get safe for a couple three days. I need to be back by Backside Misty's with Lemma by then. Either of you need something, leave a message on her job board." I see the look on her face, all what-if.

"Don't fret none. I'm on it."
  • To Hadden:

K2 nods with each order you give. Her right foot turns slightly as if she's about to go, but instead, she plants it and steps into you, craning her neck so she can push her lips against yours. She reaches hands up to your neck and holds you for just a moment. It's desperate and sweet all at once.

Then she drops back and smiles bashfully, like maybe, even after what happened earlier, that she might've crossed a line. Did she? She says quickly, "Be careful." She leaves.

Where do you go, Hadden?
  • From Hadden:

I hold the moment. Don't fuck this up. She knows I watch her go.

There's almost no choice. I go to the North Underlake mines. I have to see.

• To Hadden:

Please head here.