[Snowpocalypse] Crossovers (H 2.4, L 2.4, R 2.2)

edited February 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Hadden / Lemma / Rossi:

We pick up at Lemma's shop. Hadden just pulled up in your truck to find that a couple folks are walking through the ice to the shop. It's in the afternoon, cold outside, bitter cold.

Hadden and Lemma:
It's Rossi, and a guy on crutches, who is humming some ditty. Rossi, what's the song he's humming, and why haven't you made him shut up with it?

Rossi:
You spot the truck. Did Nini direct you here, or is this dumb luck?

Comments

• Rossi,

Nini sent us here. I was tired of waiting for Hadden, and listening to her talk about babies. That woman has the fever bad. Jester's been humming this old pre-freeze tune called "Vincent". It's pretty, and quiet — he's played it for me on his flute before. I think there are supposed to be words to it, but I've never heard them. I really hope Hadden can lend us this stupid truck, because we had a hard enough time getting here with Jester on crutches, let alone all the way out to his moms' place.

I'm sticking pretty close to Jester as we approach... It's a defensive thing, but I'm not overly worried about Hadden and Lemma. Hadden's been a decent enough guy to me, and he's ... Well, he's kinda pretty... And I usually bring Lemma whatever high-tech shit I find out in the drifts. I wave to them as we approach. "Hey Hadden! Lemma! Hold up!"
  • From Hadden:

I could really get used to having conversation when driving. It's cool to have Lemma back on speaking terms, even though she's a little odd. I know I didn't fuck up those instructions. But whatevs.

I haven't seen Rossi in months. I wonder if I need to save her ass this time or if she's an omen to gonna save my ass. I quirk my mouth, Maybe she's just wanting a gig saving asses. Who's the dude in the motley hat and the crutches? Even I can see that's gotta be hellacious travel.
  • [OOC: Rolling Reputation on Jester, roll+cool, marking xp]
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 13)
  • Hadden seems to know almost everyone, but they've never met before. Jester has heard that Rossi slept with Hadden after she saved his ass in some deal. Jester also knows that Hadden learned to dance from Tindy in Underlake, maybe Hadden could be Jester's ticket into the Underlake performance scene.

[OOC taking +1 forward with Jester]
  • Lemma:

I start pulling my gear out of the truck. I don't know the goofy-looking kid, but he's in bad shape.

"Come on inside, you two. What happened?"
  • Rossi,

I wave a hand dismissively when Lemma asks what happened, but I do follow her inside. "The Pier is kind of a cluster-fuck right now... Guy-Poke bought the farm in a run and gun, and Jester here got caught in the crossfire with Dice and his Skegs. We're not looking to be a burden or anything, just hoping to get a lift out to Jester's moms' place."
  • edited February 2014
    From Hadden:

"Poor Poke. Is they still talking? Who did it?" Poke is half gone? I can't even imagine... What's that going to do to them?

Ah, I see, she wants something. I nod to her retinue, look at his foot pointedly, then back up. "I'm Hadden. Well met. Where's by your moms'? How far?" I'm going to need gas RSN.
  • Lemma:

The news that someone shot Poke hits me like a blow. Being too useful to shoot is my armor, like it was theirs. I don't appreciate the reminder that it's imaginary. Tension sets in across my chest and doesn't go away.

"Some asshole shot Poke? Christ. Did they follow that up by taking shit in the reservoir? Maybe swing by the cathedral and kick in some stained glass windows? Fucking senseless."
  • To Hadden,

Jester gives you "the guy nod" and answers, "They call me Jester. I'm a troubadour. My moms are south of County Hospital. Down at Oak Woods Cemetery. Know the place? It's.. kinda out there."
  • edited February 2014
    Rossi,

I hold my hands up defensively when they both start asking questions, "look, I'm just the messenger, alright? Girl-Poke is fine, if a little traumatized. I know who did it, and she fixed me up in exchange for the big masked fucker's head... Don't go getting your panties in a knot."

Once Jester's said his piece, I add, "I don't have much in the way of jingle, but if you've got any jobs that need doing, you know I'm happy to do them, Hadden."
  • edited February 2014
    From Hadden:

I can see that the news of Poke's death hits Lemma hard. I look to her, touch her shoulder.

To Jester, "That Hospital is a ways hence. Probably means Danryan travel, savvy? I know Rossi can keep our asses unbroken," I give her a warm smile, remembering. "But I don't suppose you've a jerrycan or two of fuel?"

To Rossi, "Who the fuck would shoot half of Poke? Wait, did you say a big masked fucker? Goggles maybe?" I kinda frown, tilt my head, cock it forward.
  • edited February 2014
    Rossi,

I shoot Hadden a dubious look, "yeah. Why?"
  • edited February 2014
    From Hadden:

"There was a big masked fucker covered me saving Silica's ass the other day. She was pinned down by Frontside Grab's snipers."

I look off to one side. I wonder what Silica's doing, right now?
  • edited February 2014
    Rossi,

Oh yeah... It's been a busy couple of days, so fucking shoot me.

I swallow hard and avert my gaze, "Silica's alright, then? She got out OK?"
  • From Hadden:

"I got her out safe, me and Handplant. I don't think she's alright, no." Now's not the time to talk about whatever is going on between she and me.

"Rossi... "
  • Lemma:

"I run a garage, Hadden. I keep stocked. Help yourself to gas. You'll make it up to me."

"And if you need any help finding the shooter, I'll work for free."
  • [OOC: Read a person on Rossi, roll+sharp]

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 9)
  • To Lemma:

Jester looks at you when you call Poke's death senseless. He opens his mouth like he wants to say something, but lets it go. But you saw that.

The conversation rolls past and nobody else catches it.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

"Thanks, Lemma. Just enough to top off, make sure we can get back." I consider her. "You wanna roll now to avenge Poke? Tight squeeze in the minitruck, we all four."
  • From Hadden:

"Rossi, about Silica... You two okay?" I don't think they are. I'm flicking back and forth her eyes.
  • Lemma:

Hmm. Jester knows something. This doesn't seem like the time to press him on it, though. I'll file that away.

"No, you go on. Not going to get any avenging done with Jester in that condition."

Something occurs to me.

"Does he really have to travel? Seems like he'd be better off resting. He could stay here while you guys run your errand."
  • To Rossi:

Jester looks to you, Rossi. "I hate to sound like a wuss... but I really could lie down. And my moms needs those meds."

Did you find anything for his bad foot, since the boot was ruined?
  • From Hadden:

"Motley Troubadour needs rest, Jester. What's then your talents? Also, what we can do so your moms know we'll not see them poison'd?"
  • To Hadden:

Jester answers after wincing a bit, looking down at his leg, "I sing and play... used to dance. Will again. As for getting stuff to my moms, they love Rossi. She's brought em meds before. Or I can slip you a harmonica. Show it to em and they'll know I call you friend."
  • edited February 2014
    From Hadden:

I show a little surprise, impressed. "An actual, real working harmonica? Keep you your harmonica. Rossi will serve as."

No way to be delicate. "What disease are the meds for? How sick are they?"
  • edited February 2014
    Rossi,

I'm going to ignore that question about Silica for now...

I didn't run across anything size 11 for his foot no, not that I could fit the padded, swollen monstrosity that is his foot in there anyway. We just wrapped it really good, and are hoping for the best. I wish I could do better for him... But there it is. I grab Jester's hand and shake my head, "You keep trying to give away these instruments, and you'll have nothing left..."

I look back to Lemma and Hadden. This talk about working to find "Ross" for free has me a little worried — but I need to stay cool, or I'll give myself up. "A brain thing..." I look to Jester, "right? You said it, like..." I make a clawing motion at my head, "deteriorates her brain, or something?"
  • From Hadden:

I give Rossi a look like, I'm not going to ignore you ignoring me and it's clear you don't want to talk about your sister just yet and that's fine but seriously.

Of course I'm thinking of sweet, doomed Backside Misty. "Krantzberg Syndrome? I have a friend with it."
  • Rossi,

I shrug at Hadden's remark, "Dunno... Never heard of it."

Then I turn to Jester, but keep Lemma in the corner of my eye. "Jester... You promised me you'd lay low until you got better. I don't feel right leaving you here out where Dice and his Skegs might come riding in at any time..."
  • Jester looks at you, Rossi, a guilty expression playing across his face. He replies, "You're right. We should all go, or I should go for sure. Sorry, Rossi."

Lemma, are you traveling with them or staying in the shop?
  • edited February 2014
    From Hadden:

I quick turn my head to Rossi, "What up with the Skegs and this guy?" Nodding towards Jester. I Iook back at him, his foot, thinking logistics.
  • Rossi,

I look between Hadden and Jester for a second before answering, "Jester brought the masked guy to Dice for a ride to Poke's – Jester said he owed the guy a favor for saving his life. When the masked guy went homicidal, Dice didn't want the blame falling on him, so he chopped Jester's toes off – despite my offer to help him track the asshole down – because he's fucking insane."
  • Hadden,

I let out a long, low whistle."That's messed up." Not going to farm work out to Dice if he's that hatchet-happy over bad intros. And what's with this masked motherfucker?

A little doubt creeps into the set of my eyes, mouth. I crack a few knuckles, thoughtfully.
  • Lemma:

No, sounds like they've got it covered. I'll stay here.
  • edited February 2014
    From Hadden:

I'm watching Rossi, kind of updating notes. I haven't seen her in months. I don't fully know what's up with her & this character Jester. She doesn't want to talk about her sister, in front of Jester or maybe Lemma? And she knows the mofo who shot.. half... of Poke? If I'm losing Molotov, could Rossi really make do again, consistently? If the Skegs are going to make with the choppy, do I need to cough up protection jingle?

[OOC: spending 1 hold before the scene ends: What's Rossi feeling about all this?]
  • Rossi,

Yeah... it is messed up. That whole situation was fucked. I put a hand on Jester's shoulder, "C'mon. Let's get you settled in the front seat." I look to Hadden with a stoic, but almost appreciative glare, "Thanks." Then to Lemma, "I'll let you know if something comes up with the masked man that needs your help."

OOC: What's Rossi feeling about all this? The dominant feeling on my mind right now is guilt. You've probably caught me eyeing Jester like I've failed him. It's a dead give-away. I feel like I've fucked up, big-time — and yet, I'm not sure there's much I could have done differently. I'm in recovery mode.
  • Hadden and Rossi, please go here
  • Lemma,

You head back inside after they leave. Marmot is here, ready for instruction. She looks a bit frustrated, and the order from before seems to have become chaos as she tried to fit pieces together. Looks more like a modern art piece than a machine right now.

What do you do?
  • Lemma:

Oof. My fault, running off too much. Can't blame her for trying.

"I'm sorry, Marmot. I put too much on you while I was gone. You did really well getting started."

I survey the project. I'll have to backtrack, undo a lot of what she did, but it looks like she didn't do any permanent damage.

"Getting busy around here, and I wanted to get this done fast for Kemper. But you should be learning-- want to come with me on my next trip?"

It feels good to be back in the shop with a machine in pieces in front of me, even if it's in bad shape.

"Now, I'll finish this up. Watch, and stop me if you have questions."
  • To Lemma:
    Marmot looks sheepish, but doesn't apologize out loud. She steps back from the mess and watches you work.

As you dig into this project, you realize that these are pretty specializing machines. Made for tooling firearms, and refilling shells and cases. Kemper isn't exactly muscling in on your business, it looks like he's doing the work of arming his men, though. And the damage to this stuff, explosives. Lastly, looks like it is a mobile unit, not something that has to stay in a stable shop.

After a few hours, you're able to get this thing up and working, more or less. Some parts will need to be filed back down, a few others need replacing. Luckily, you have those parts.
  • Lemma:

Huh. That's interesting. Kemper's doing serious weapons work, and he's not the type to do it because big guns make him feel better about himself. And someone is trying very hard to stop him.

As I'm working, and realizing what I'm building, I try to show Marmot how I know what I know-- the tracks left in bent metal that mean explosives, the hydraulic stabilizers that mean it's made to travel.

"You wanted to know how I talk to things, right? This is... most of it. The way they're put together; the way they break. Tells you what they were, what they want to be, what happened."

I go scrounging for the last couple parts, put them in, flick the power on a couple times to make sure it's working.

"Listen, there's another trip I need to make, to see how something big broke. Want to come?"
  • To Lemma:

Marmot nods vigorously. "Yes. I do. Where is it?"
  • To Lemma:

Please go here.