[Snowpocalypse] Can You Do Me a Solid? (L 3.1)

edited March 2014 in Snowpocalypse
To Lemma:

A week has passed since you discovered the big sub in Underlake and got it working again. In that time, there has been lots of activity up top, Soulja Boys ranging around, Dice and the Skegs as well as Stink Bug and his sleds searching for that gennie. Lots of them come by your shop, asking what you know. Butter's been by, every other day. The Sky Mote is still number one on her priority list.

I've got something of a deal for you.

I want to get to know you more! I feel like we haven't really connected, ya know? So here's the deal: Tell me three people (named or not) you cannot do without. Choose the reason why from the list below, and tell me a little more:

* You love them
* They know something you have to find out
* You desperately need to protect them
* They're blood to you
* They know something about you, and the only way to stop it from coming up is to keep them safe
* You saw them in a true dream
* They remind you of someone you can't let go of
* They are part of why you really stick around in Chi-Town
* If they go, things will get much much worse
* They've seen your true face
* Sex with them is... unimaginable
* Because they honestly don't want anything from you
* Because before they die badly, they need to know exactly why they deserve it
* Because they love you

Now that that's been sorted, here's my end of the bargain: you get 3 hold. Spend that hold to have someone just show up in a scene with you. Call it fate, call it happenstance, whatever you like.

Whatever it is, right there, right then, you name an NPC and they are there, no questions asked.

So what do you say? Do we have a deal?

Anyways... you're at the shop, getting ready for another run out to the sub. Marmot already has her pack and the dolly for all your equipment ready to go. That's when Seatbelt comes in. He looks worn thin, tired and he's limping.

What do you do?

Comments

• (They remind you of someone you can't let go of)
    I didn't start the trip here alone. There was a man, and a girl. She was maybe 12, which means she'd have been about 17 or 18 now. Willful and strange.

Anyway, that's probably why I reached out to Silica like that. I can tell I can't help her the way I want to, but I'm doing what I can.

(They've seen your true face)
    So, I was helping Tamedog's crew out once on a scraper job and there was a collapse. Three floors worth of stairs just gave out, leaving me, Tame, and one of his climbers trapped with no way down, and the climber with her leg trapped and broken.

I went to the scary place, then, deep into the maelstrom. I've been there a few times before, but I was either alone or, as with the first, worst time, I was the only one who made it out.

Unblinking, wide-eyed, technical, detached, so I could do what needed to be done. Spooky, even to me. I can imagine what it was like to watch it. I was made sure Tamedog and I made it out. I couldn't do anything for his climber, and, when I'm in deep like that, that doesn't slow me down for a millisecond.

I said Tamedog and I weren't super close, and maybe we aren't by most people's terms. But he still comes in the shop, still stays to share a drink, and still looks at me like I'm human. That means something. I don't want to lose that.

(If they go, things will get much worse)
    I didn't really realize I felt this way about Poke until half of them got shot. But Jesus, someone around here has to be able to put insides back in. They/she's gifted, and I admire that. I wouldn't mind tracking down the person who shot them, but mainly I want to look out for whatever's left of them.

---------
    And speaking of people I have to keep safe because they know things...

"Christ, Seatbelt, what's going on?"
  • To Lemma:

Seatbelt looks around, just to make sure you're alone. Looks to Marmot with a raised eyebrow, like Is she cool? I assume you give him a nod that yes, indeed she is. He limps over to you, and says, "Got paid."

He reaches into his jacket, pulls out a set of ear plugs. "Kemper said you'd want these. I, uh... I don't know how he knew you were involved, Lemma. I sure as shit didn't tell him."
  • Well, it's a relief that he moved it. To Kemper? That makes sense. Someone with resources who's looking to expand.

So now Kemper's got power and weapons, and, unlike the Soldier Boys, is smart enough to put them to good use.

And he knows I helped. That's... unfortunate. It could mean someone was talking-- or it could mean he's the one person in town smart enough to stop looking for clues and start asking who could have effectively hidden all the clues.

And he wants me to know he knows. This gets complicated-- but if he wanted me dead, it wouldn't be Seatbelt and a coded message, it would be a dozen pissed-off Soldier Boys and a grenade launcher.

So, let's set that aside, for now.

Once I finish processing, I shrug and pocket the ear plugs. Never know when you'll need some of those.

"Cunning bastard, that one. I'm going to assume he figured it out on his own... unless you think someone's been talking?"

"Anyway, where do I pick up my cut?"
  • To Lemma:

Seatbelt answers with, "I got a bunch o' shit for barter, Lemma. Food, fuel, gear, some guns... you want to follow me out, you can take your pick." He looks like he'd actually like someone around. He's been run ragged.
  • I nod and start packing up. Let's get this settled.

"People have been asking questions about you-- seems like you've been chased around a bit. You going to be okay? Even with the cash, you might be dodging Soldiers for a while."
  • To Lemma:

Seatbelt sighs, "Yeah, a long while. Didn't think the hornet's nest would stir up this hard." He heads outside.

Marmot pulls you back a step, whispering, "You sure you want to head out there? He's a dead man now. The only reason Kemper didn't give him up was probably to get the generator. Now... he's got no leverage."
  • Shit. It's a good point. I'm glad I have her around for perspective on this one.

I stop in my tracks. If he's that bad off, was it just carelessness and exhaustion that led him to ask me to go out with him? What happens if I refuse?

"Seems like it might be healthy for you to stay hidden. Why don't you lie low for a while and just point me to the stash?"

It's not just proposing a new plan. I watch for his reaction when I say it, see if anything's off.
  • Read a person:

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 9)
  • What does he intend to do?
  • To Lemma:

Seatbelt stops at the door, which he was holding open, turns back, "Lemma... I'm stuck. Gotta offload the pay, which is all barter, before I can skip town. Can't sit on it, because it's enough jingle for somebody to roll me for it."

Marmot makes an unhappy noise in the back of her throat, like she smells something funky.

He's freaked out, and he is going to try and pawn all the delivery off to you. You just know it. He wants you to take your share, then sit on everything to give away to the rest so he can blow this popsicle stand for a while.
  • Balls. That is really not my field of expertise.

Still, it's not the worst plan in the world. He's the most wanted man in Chi-Town, while I seem to have come out clean, Kemper aside. And the whole reason I got involved was to help the poor sucker out.

"I hear you, and I want to help you get moving. But... should the person who put the crew together handle the payouts? Could you get in touch with him?"
  • To Lemma:

Seatbelt closes the door. It's cold outside. "I would, Lemma. But it's Squirrel. And the Underlakers are sitting on him for some reason. I don't know why, really. Heard he was attacked."

He mutters, "Heard he was dead, too, but I don't believe it."

Marmot offers, "I could go to Underlake. I know the Noses."
  • It's not bad, as solutions go. Except...

"I appreciate the offer, Marmot, but are you sure you want to get wrapped up in this? You're clean so far. I didn't mean for you to get involved at all, but you're too sharp to try to hide it all from."

I look her in the eye, serious.

"It's a mess, but it's at least partly my mess, and I'll clean it up. I can go, and you can keep your hands clean."
  • To Lemma:

Marmot shrugs, not offended. "If you wanna go, I can sit tight on the shop.... or I could haul shit to the, ah," she looks at Seatbelt, still not trusting him. "The site, and get to work. Your call."

Seatbelt says, "Lemma, I think you're right, you doing it. No offense, Marmot."

Marmot rolls her eyes, like she gives a shit about Seatbelt's offense.
  • All right. That's a plan.

"Okay, good. Seatbelt, you tell me where the stuff is so I can pass word on to Squirrel. You can hide till you know it's done, then start running. Marmot-- yeah, why don't you take stuff to the site and get started? I'll meet you there after."
  • To Lemma:

Seatbelt asks quick, "Can I, ah, hide out here, maybe? All my boltholes are used up."

Marmot clears her throat, "I've got, you know, some prep to do around here before I... before I go, Lemma." She doesn't want to leave Seatbelt here alone.

What do you do?
  • Lemma:

I look at Seatbelt, hard. "Is anyone on your tail?" I let the question hang, using that middle-distance stare that unsettles people. Don't you dare lie to me. "If you're in trouble, I'll help, but don't drag it into my house."

Then, to Marmot: "You do what you need to." I understand.
  • To Lemma:

Seatbelt blinks. He's been a victim of that look before, he doesn't like it. He looks away, scratches the back of his neck, "I don't think so, cuz. Serious, I've been ducking and running for a couple weeks now." He looks up, "I don't know. I hope not. I just want to get this done, yeah? I can hide somewheres else if you want."

Marmot puts down her gear, starts pretending to work on some scoring on a drill. She's not leaving Seatbelt in here alone unless you say so, which you didn't.

• I let up.

"All right. You can stay here... preferably downstairs where no customers will run into you."

Before I go, I look for an opportunity to talk to Marmot alone.

"Look, he's a bit of a weasel and he's not the brightest, but he's family. Keep an eye on things, but if it comes leaving him alone in here or facing some kind of trouble, you stay safe."

I gesture at the rifle in the corner. "I'd usually pack that for a trip outside, but I'll leave it with you if you'd feel safer."
  • edited March 2014
    To Lemma:

Seatbelt nods some thanks, and he's heading down without further comment. You chat with Marmot, and she nods a few times, listening close, taking mental notes. On the subject of the rifle, she shakes her head, "I'm a shitty shot. You take it. I've got my trusty screwdriver. I'll be okay."

She pauses for a second, like she's unsure. Then, she just huffs a breath like "fuck it", moves close and gives you a quick hug, Steps back, looking away, so it isn't too uncomfortable. "Be careful out there."

What do you do?
  • I manage to react in time to return the hug, but yeah, looking away. "Be careful in here."

I pack up and head out to Underlake. (I assume I got the location out of Seatbelt to pass on to Squirrel.) I want this behind us.
  • To Lemma:

Yeah, Seatbelt gave you the location of where he stashed the loot, it's in the lobby of an abandoned hotel neat MOCAC (I updated the map).

Are you heading out on skis for Underlake, or looking for Silica first?
  • Kind of feeling a sense of urgency to get this settled. I'll head out to Underlake first.
  • To Lemma:

You head out of the shop and take the trek out to Underlake. It takes a few hours by ski, but you could maybe get Dubstep on the horn for a pick-up. You know, if you want. Your call. How do you go?
  • It would be nice not to have to ski over, and have a little backup in case of trouble. Yeah, I'll call out on the Skeg's frequency, see if I can raise Dubstep.
  • Alrighty, Lemma. Why don't you head over here?