[Snowpocalypse] The Dole Out (L 3.2)

edited March 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Lemma,

You're riding on Dubstep's ride, which is, as she calls it "Choice". She's over the handlebars and running quick and sleek. Probably showing off for you, and well, you need to lean in and hold onto her, too. So, there's that.

What did you promise her for the ride? She'd probably take just about anything from you, and didn't quibble over what you offered. She showed up as you were walking, picked you up and sped along.

As you get closer to Crossover, she eases up on the throttle enough for conversation, looking back, "Yo, Lemma, you been headin to Underlake alot lately, I hear?" The question is conversational, not accusatory.

What do you do?

Comments

• I'd pulled a few sled-sized tubes and seals off the sub last time-- enough to cover a tune-up. Her next visit's on me.

I'm a little relieved when we slow down. The machine's a good piece of work, and she knows how to use it, but I'm just not used to that kind of speed.

Until she starts asking that question. Chi-Town's smaller than it seems, and if I pick up a new habit it will become apparent to anyone who's paying attention to me-- which I guess includes Dubstep. I won't be able to rely on secrecy to keep the sub safe forever.

Maybe for a little while, though...

"Yeah, there's some big equipment down in the tunnels that needed fixing. Back and forth a lot." I shrug. Not even technically a lie.

"You're obviously not hurting for horsepower. How's the new fuel injector been treating you?"
  • To Lemma:

Dubstep grins, looking back at you, then the road ahead, "Bad-fucken-ass, Lemma. You got me all revved, like usual. But seriously, it's killer." She reaches back to pat the side of your thigh, familiar, but nothing too pushy.

As she enters Crossover, she takes a couple side streets, heading to a boat dock. "Hey Lemma, mind if we wind it out on the lake rather than zip through those tunnels? Underlakers always bitchin about me running over their footsies and shit."

What do you do?
  • "Sure, take us whichever way you want."

The lake sounds good, actually. Not sure I'm up for running the tunnels at this speed.
  • To Lemma:

We'll skip ahead to the arrival at the entrance to the mines (aka Squirrel's). Dubstep really burned it out, showing off the fuel injector. The cold wind burns a bit, but the speed is thrilling.

She cuts the engine and says, "Yo, if you want, I'll hang around and take you back. Or, you know, over to Monarchs, or the Pier. I mean, if you aren't busy or whatever." She seems a little hopeful that she can turn this into some weird kind of date, but not pushy. But you get the feeling if you don't want to "hang out", then you're walking home. She'll magically "have shit to do".
  • I'm about to brush her off with another evasion, and get on with business, but... well, a couple of drinks and not needing to fix anything for a few hours sounds good. An indulgence I can't afford at the moment, but good.

"Honestly, that sounds great, but... this is a pretty bad time, for reasons that I can't really get into. Got some shit I need to take care of, and I don't know when it will be done. But... some other time?"

Most people have a lot of ways of saying "some other time", to mean a lot of different things. I'm not always great at navigating that. I mean this one, and I hope she knows it.
  • To Lemma:

Dubstep nods curtly, "That's mag, Lemma. Gotta get shit done. Tell you what, I'll be at Monarchs. If you need a ride back, gimmie a call. If I can get ya, I will."

She pauses for a second, looking at you, like she is making a decision. Suddenly, she grabs you by the front of your jacket, pulls you towards her. Then, only inches away, She leans in, and rubs your nose with hers. Eskimo kiss.

Then, she lets go, chuckles, starts up her ride, and zips out, heading over the lake towards the bar.

The walk to Squirrel's is easy enough, just like last time, except less stressful. You run into a guy near the nexus point, Underlaker named Smith. Brutish guy. What's he heard about you, Lemma?

"What you want, Lemma?" he says all gruff, his beatstick held down, like you're no threat.
  • I mean, I've been around Underlake fixing things. Smith knows that. He's muscle, though, not someone who relies on the machines for their livelihood, so he probably thinks of me more as a servant than a wizard.

But, hey, no threat, right?

"Need to talk to Squirrel. Heard he had some work that needed doing."
  • To Lemma:

Smith eyes you up and down, like you're some piece of meat. "Yeah? Fine. Let's go see if he does, why don't we?" He gestures for you to move ahead of him, and follows you into Squirrel's place.

Squirrel's place is rocking to this jam:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgnJDJN4VA

You see he's got a couple of Tunnel Rats working on cleaning a new find, looks like a rusted piece of some sculpture, something you've seen before, Lemma. What is it?

Squirrel looks up when you come in. He's got a big bandage on his face, which you see before he looks back down from the ledger he's working on. He turns his head profile, hiding the bandage as best he can. "Hey there Lemma." He flicks a glance uo to Smith. "She's good, brother." Smith grunts, then leaves you there.

"What do you need?" Squirrel asks, looking back down at his ledger.

• The statue looks like one of a set I've seen in the lobby of one of the big towers-- shaped like a person with wings, but shaped out sweeping planes and angles. I don't think its face had features even before the rust.

"Glad to see you're intact. Heard some troubling things."

If he wants the bandage ignored, I can do that better than most.

"Seatbelt got paid, but he's too well known now for him to make the deliveries. I thought I'd put you in possession of the stash and you can dispense it as needed."

"Then Seatbelt can skip town, and he's their one visible lead. The buyer's in possession, so they're not getting it back without a ground war. Taken together, I think we can avoid it getting... any worse."
  • To Lemma:

Squirrel glances up, a little surprised, "He's alive?" He smiles. "That slippery bastard!" It's like you just made his day. He closes the ledger, walks around a bit closer as you stand there on the ice.

He calls to the Rats, "Hey Rats, GTFO. Adults talkin."

Squirrel leans in, drops his voice as they shuffle out, "You already got your cut? Where's the stash?"
  • Well, good. He'd been looking grimmer than usual.

"Haven't taken a cut yet, just have the location. Thought maybe we could run out there and haul it back somewhere safer-- like here, maybe?"
  • To Lemma:

Squirrel glances out towards where Smith came in, scratches his head a bit, "Hurm. Well, this place is solid once we get it in, but the problem is, how much jingle it would take to protect it on the way.... I know what all was being traded for it. It's alot. So uh... how safe is it now? Maybe we just take folks over for a divvy up and call it done?"
  • "It's as safe as he could make it on the run... so, maybe not that safe. I wouldn't want to just leave it out there for much longer. If it's safer to bring the crew to it, let's do that. Can you get word to everyone?
  • To Lemma:

Suirrel narrows his eyes, like sizing you up, "Yeah, he's good at hiding himself, not so much with his stuff. Let's get hold of Hadden. His crew is more trustworthy. My Rat Nose is with them now. They're doing some gigs, then heading to the Field."
  • I'm willing to tip a middleman to get this put to rest, sure. Would be good to talk to Hadden, too. Haven't had a chance to update him about the collapse.

"Works for me."
  • --END SCENE--