[Snowpocalypse] Jester's Show (H 3.5, R 3.8)

edited March 2014 in Snowpocalypse
To Hadden and Rossi:

It's later that night and you're at Odysseyii, in the dining hall. The Underlake craftsmen have restored most of the tables and the floor here. There's a big party going on, food on the grill, freshly brewed beer in mugs passed around. Merrell is footing the bill for this one. Merrell's sitting at the captain's table, natch. On his right side is Mimsy, the other is... Smith? Yeah, Smith. Not Tindy, not even Arbor.

Hadden, you've got a spot at the head table, if you want it. None of your crew is invited to sit up there, though. Where did you grab a seat?

Rossi, for some reason, Jester was a bit nervous, this being his first time performing "since the accident". What did you do to encourage him?

What do you do?

Comments

• I employed the usual pregame ritual at first — sex, kisses, positive reinforcement — but I was kind of at a loss when I noticed it wasn't cracking the shell — so I did something a little drastic... I sang. Not like up on stage or anything, just for him in the privacy of our shitty little inner-cabin room. Just enough to get the spirit in him again, so his musical nature could take care of the rest.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

I'm right next to mom. I don't like this set-up, but I have a cool face on, dutiful prodigal. Where are the rest of Merrell's boys? I'm definitely looking out for Arbor, Tindy, Noseblunt, even Omatic. I had a bad feeling. What's this party overtly for? Who's here, who's not? Oakley, CTO, Squirrel and the Rats?

For that matter, what's on the grill?

I'm idly playing with a fork. I make eye contact with Rossi. My mom can tell I'm on edge, nervous, worried. Other folk, probably not. I gotta buy Rossi a clue one of these days.
  • Jester hobbles up to his place to sing. It's set off to the side of the captain's table, on a stool. He sits on the stool, puts the guitar over his leg. Hadden, where did you pick up this guitar for Jester? Merrell positioned it so folks are able to hear, but it looks like Jester's playing for him, and the table.

"Good evening, Underlakers!" Jester begins, his voice filling the space nicely. The guy has a set of pipes on him. "I'm happy to be here, for Merr's Just Cause party. Merr's throwing this shindig, and he paid me to sing a bit for y'all." He gives them a winning grin, "And since it's all on Merr... there's no refund. ha ha!"

People chuckle, some even laugh. But really, these folks love Jester. Like he says. But this time, for real. "This first song," Jester says as he strums the guitar lightly, "It's very special to me. I'll try to do it justice"

This is what he starts singing:

Hadden, Noseblunt and Omatic are around, so are Merrell's thugs. They're all armed to the teeth, for show. Assault rifles and SMGs, a fucking arsenal. No Arbor, no Tindy nowhere. Your mom's been all up in this work, but she's noticed it, too.

She leans over, whispers in your ear, "Haddy, have you seen Tindy or Arbor today? I haven't seen either since yesterday."

Rossi, as the song plays on, someone brushes against your shoulder. You look over, then up, to see Wandering. He grins, like he got the drop on you. "Sup, kid?"
  • I was so busy smiling up at Jester as he performs that I didn't even notice Wandering come up behind me. I spin around quick to look up at Wandering, surprised as fuck, and smirk up at him, "Hey! Shit man, I thought you were watching Poke's place. What're you doing at a big shindig like this?"
  • To Rossi:

Wandering throws a meaty arm over you, gives you a quick half-hug, "Nice to see you, too." He takes a swig of his beer. "Still guarding it, but no man's an island and all that. Got a night off, heard there was a thing, came for the beer. You?"
  • I point up at the stage and smirk, "I'm nailing the talent. I wanted to thank you for your help back at the clinic, by the way... I really appreciated that."
  • To Rossi:

Wandering chuckles, looks down at himself, then over at you, "Hey now... I got talents. I carve a mean stick o wood.... wait, that don't sound right. heh." He shrugs, "No worries about the help, Rossi. I know you're good for it. Some day, maybe I'll need your help back."

Jester switches over to a new song, an one about a guy named John St. John:

Wandering looks up at "the talent", "He's lookin alot better. I thought he was done for."
  • From Hadden:

You know Funsize? Couple years back, he came across a pawnshop wasn't picked over. Dude is dripping with jingle, but he has access to a buncha quality, hard-to-find stuff. I deal with him when I need something special. Funsize had this sweet electro-acoustic axe with a nice bit of custom work. The colors, the life, seems very Jester to me. It's got a really strange name on the back, "Hannah Davis." I guess they named their guitars back Pre-Freeze. Not the weirdest thing I've heard.

By the way, here's what it looks like:

Dude can control a room, fill it with sound, move the crowd. Man's got a gift. At least two gifts, from what I hear.

Whispering, to not disturb the performance, "Not since before dinner." What are Slash and Lashfight doing, the other cousins? I need like six more eyes to watch everyone, and still pull off subtle and cool.

Which mook is closest to me, in case? Is Merrell himself openly armed?
  • I chuckle back and pat the chair next to me, "might as well sit a while. Get drunk with me." I reach over to the table and pull up my bottle of beer to toast him.

I follow his gaze over to Jester and nod somberly. He was done for... I'm tempted to call Poke out on it, and say she's not worth a fuck of her doctoring skills — but that's not true. She knew Jester was fucked, and if not for me being a fucking freak, he might have been... "I got lucky... Fixed him up myself. No thanks to Poke..."
  • To Hadden:

Lashfight is on the other side of the table, closest to Merrell. Merrell is packing a couple pistols on a sweet holster, and he's got his big bowie knife, using it to cut the meat. There is a ton of meat, Hadden. All cooked in a big stew. Spicy jambalaya style.

The closest mook to you Noseblunt. He's sweet on Lashfight, you know that. The other cousins? They're around, sitting at tables not far away.

Your Mimsy whispers back, "Something's wrong, Haddy."
  • From Hadden:

"I got a bad feeling also, mom."

Noseblunt knew my dad, Arbor said he'd feel him out. He's always been nice to Lashfight. I gotta take a chance. I lean over to him, whisper sidelong, "What's the sitch, man?"
  • To Rossi:

Wandering finds a seat with you, drains his mug, puts it down, "Yeah, that girl's lost her shit. Big time. She's a handful, and I tell ya, the job sucks. But life on the Pier, aint half bad." He waves over a server, who brings his another mug.

He listens to the rest of the song, drinking and tapping his feet. When Jester switches over to something more upbeat, he elbows you lightly, "You'd like the Pier, Rossi. Good people, all told. And Jester could make some jingle. Why don't you two come back with me? I could chat with Council."

To Hadden:

Noseblunt smiles at you like he doesn't see the look on your face. He says loudly, "I know! That's hilarious, man!" and claps your shoulder. He flicks a glance to Merrell, then shakes his head, like I'm fucken Sweden, man.
  • I'm not setting foot on the pier — not unless they're gunna wipe the slate clean with Silica and me — and this whole deal about Wandering talking to council for me isn't what I want... The way Poke talks about the place is a fucking joke. I have no idea why people live there to begin with... The guards are mostly fucking pricks, and they don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.

"I'll pass," I answer calmly, "but you never know what's gunna open up, Wandering — you should be keeping an ear to the ground for new opportunities!" I smile at him, and cock an eyebrow.
  • To Rossi:

Wandering gives you a mock look like "Who, me?", puts a hand on his chest all innocent-like and says, "But Rossi... you're spoken for! haw haw, just kiddin." He purses his lips, like he's mulling something over, then puts that meaty arm over you again and leans in to say quiet, "Actually, the word onna street is that Merrell up there is sneezin jingle he's so loaded, and he's lookin for good men and women to arm up and protect Underlake. What with the Soulja Boys effed, it's getting crazy up top now. Best to have a place to defend, and if it's a place like this," he looks around at the food and the ber, "Or babysitting a suicidal shitty doctor, I just might jump ship."
  • OOC: Reading Wandering. Roll+Sharp. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 3, 3. Total: 7)
  • edited March 2014
    I wiggle a hand in the "so-so" gesture, and lean in closer, "word on the street I've heard is there's another option. A better option. You're a tough enough guy — say I had a long term job running security at a new joint, but it might involve making some enemies, would you be down for it?"

OOC: How could I get Wandering to join up with Lemma, Hadden and me? (Instead of Merrell)
  • To Rossi:

It's Wandering's turn to arch a brow, "A better option? With brew and unattached girls and comforts and shit?" He huffs a laugh, "I haven't met my quota on enemies, so maybe I'm down. What's the deal? A Kemper thing? Somethin else?"

If you're on the level with him, he's with you. He thinks Lemma's real sharp, and he's not super sure about Merrell yet.
  • I smile and nod, "you gotta trust me — Lemma and Hadden and me are working something out. Keep it on the down low, and come chat with us after the party. We'll get you set up."
  • To Rossi:

Wandering nods, "Sure, Rossi, sure. I'll keep my options open. But I gotta have somethin by tomorrow afternoon, or I'm headin back to the Pier. They'll fuck me if I bolt on them, so make me whatever offer soon. Cool?"
  • edited March 2014
    I hold up my bottle to clink with him, "Wandering, man, the job's in the bag — the meeting is for the details. You won't be heading back to the pier any time soon."
  • Merrell nods to a few guys and stands up. Jester sees him, and just like Mimsy told you two before the show, Rossi, he's going to say a few words. People at the captain's table clink their mugs with forks or whatever. Then it spreads. There are a hundred folks here, and in short order, they're all quiet. Because polite.

"Thanks to everyone for coming," Merrell says as he looks down at the crowd from his raised dais, "Thanks to Turk for the brew!" Turk gives a wide nod of his big head, and a few folks raise their mugs in toast. Then, Merrell continues, "And thanks to Chinsa for the grill!" Chinsa, back behind the grill, the old crusty lady with her flock of wooly sheep, she holds up her tongs, and folks huzzah for her. She must've killed four of them for this feast.

"As all you know," Merrell says, clearing his throat to get everyone's attention. "We've been through some shit lately. The Soulja Boys killed one of our own, nearly killed Squirrel, too. Poor guy's still recovering from his injuries, but I've sent him a bit of our kindness." He glances down the table, maybe to you, Hadden.

"After that craziness at The Field, people above are out like they do, killing and raping, hurting good folk." Merrell says, bringing everyone back to his point. "But we Underlake folk. We depend on each other. Right? That's how we stay strong. We keep our bonds, and we treat each other like brothers and sisters! One big family." There are huzzahs and hell yeahs and general agreement.

Then Merrell turns things a bit darker, "But to stay safe... sometimes we have to be hard. When our family breaks their word, there have to be consequences. All of you know this. It's our code. In our fucking DNA."

He waits for a moment, Merrell does. People are getting uneasy, looking around. He raises his hands, laughing a bit, "Calm down. Calm down! This aint your last supper! All of you are in the clear! You're all Underlakers and friends of us. The good people. I'd hoped this would just be a celebration of our solidarity and love together, tonight. This food, this feast. But something has happened, and I need all of you to know. The truth. From my lips. No rumors. No gossip."

"My second wife. My Tindy." Merrell says. "She broke faith with me. She fucked around on me, and she was carrying another man's baby. I caught her, today. I caught her, fucking one of my best friends. My closest ally. My damn brother, Arbor. Not by blood, but by choice, we were family! And he ripped out my heart, I tell you true."

hey Hadden, what's the normal punishment for adultery in Underlake?
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

I nod with respect for Swedish Noseblunt, follow his lead with a laugh. Then Jester's song ends to much applause. I watch the looks between Rossi & Jester, they are lucky. I raise glass to Turk, shout huzzah to Chinsa. I almost spit when he says to preach truth. Then he reveals about Tindy & Arbor and the bottom drops out of my stomach and my blood grows tight. He's going to bring them forth in sackcloth ashes and invoke tradition, to banish the man bare onto the lake, to bond the child into labor, and to ice the woman to death.

What if he's not lying... is it mine?

I stand, gather silence and attention from the crowd, and deliver. "Speak you truly, Merry?" Smile, sneer, what's the difference? Time to be hard, he says? I'll show him hard. I show him teeth. "Then should not the adultrix stand by, mute, when her cuckold lie bleeding? Like my father? Have at you now!" I flip my fork round to strike, and leap for his throat....

But soft, the fork is in my hand, I am in my chair and Merrell is still speaking. I look at my beer with a frown. What's in my drink? I look sidelong to Merrell and notice that little shit Smith watching me.

They're playing me. I scope the whole thing out. What's really going on?
  • To Hadden:

"I speak true, my son!" Merrell answers, turning to you. He looks down at the fork, back up in your eyes. He gestures towards the back, a gesture to bring something forward.

To All:

There's some commotion, then Omatic and another new guy from the northlands that Merrell picked up both walk in. They're bringing a naked and badly beaten Arbor through the crowd. His arms are bound to a single iron rod across his back so they both stretch out. He looks like a big T, and the man is in dull pain, barely walking.

Then, in the wake of them, you see Tindy, her head bowed, body listless. She's being held by one of Merrell's, a stout woman named Sapient. You've never seen Tindy so lifeless, so... broken.

"I bring him before you, to see my brother. My shame is before you now." Merrell pronounces as he points at them. "We will follow the ways of our people. She will be bound to bear this bastard to work in the mines, he will be turned out to the lake..."

To Rossi:

Wandering whispers in your ear, "Is this your sure thing? Looks like some shit bout to go down with yo boy there." You see it, Hadden's about to go off.

What do you do?
  • I grit my teeth, and consider storming out – but I don't have that option, do I? Hadden looks like he's contemplating something suicidal over this. I look over to Wandering and shake my head, "wasn't my plan."

What the fuck? I mean, don't get me wrong: what Merrell's doing here is fucking horrible, and I wanna put a slug in that fucker's head like you wouldn't believe – but picking a fight with this fucker on his own turf like this? With all these people watching? ... Fuck. Why are you doing this to me Hadden? How the fuck am I gunna get you and Jester out of here alive without my gear?

I look to Hadden and shake my head, begging him to reconsider.
  • [OOC: read a person, roll+sharp, marking XP]
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 11)
  • [OOC, spending 1 hold: Is he telling the truth? Is Tindy pregnant? Was she fucking Arbor?]
  • To Hadden:

Tindy is pregnant. She wasn't fucking Arbor. Merrell is doing this because he knows you were fucking Tindy, and he must've gotten sick of Arbor questioning him.
  • From Hadden:

Rossi's face is a kick in the balls and a hit of cocaine. Suddenly, details are sharp, my brain is spinning, and I can taste blood in my mouth. I take it all in. Arbor. His bruises. Tindy. Her face. Merrell. His eyes. Even that little shit Smith's sniveling smile. I am not Molotov T. Gunlugger and there's no way in the nine hells that I'm Merrell. My path is not easy.

[OOC: spending 1 hold: How could Merrell be tricked into stopping this charade and admit his crimes?]
  • To Hadden:

Tricked? Someone could seduce him into bragging about it. They would have to be very, verrry good. Or, if he believed he had the upper hand, that nobody would challenge his authority, he could be tricked into stating it as a fact that he will do whatever it takes to get what he wants.

But dude, it's not like you're going to have some "Matlock moment" where he blurts it out in front of everyone. He's just not that stupid.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

I reach out and hold my mom's hand. Swallow. That mutton is too rich, too greasy right now and it's a hot ball of stingers in my gut. I give her a tiny shake of the head, like helpless. I have to stop this. But I can't stop this. Not from here, from the captain's table, inside the asshole's den.

Fork was a bad plan. Just reacting.

I don't have anyone on the outside who could help Arbor, unless Silica... but no. Omatic doesn't know Merrell's responsible. No help there. I catch CTO's eye, like maybe he can get ahead of them?

I can't shoot him without risking everyone else.

But seeing Tindy... I don't want to think what he did to her. At least mom didn't have to watch. I squeeze her hand tighter. I always figured I'd tell him I was nailing Tindy under his nose while I watched him die. But not like this.

Poison, maybe?

I'm backed into a corner, desperate but not down. Rossi's not geared up, and Jester's here. Somehow I doubt he's good in a battle like this.

It's not Molotov. I miss Never Summer.
  • To All:

Merrell looks down at Arbor and Tindy, a look that is supposed to seem sad, or disappointed. "I ask you all. Please understand how hard it is. But I do this to keep our ways. I do it, to show I'm not going to play favorites. I'm... one of you. Even if it hurts."

"Take Arbor up, boys." Merrell says with finality. Then, "If he begs for a bullet, you can give it to him." They start pushing him along. He stumbles at one point, and Omatic catches him, props him up, saying something to him, probably encouragement. Omatic wouldn't want Arbor to give up like that. That's not Underlake way.

Merrell doesn't even speak to Tindy, he just gives Sapient a nod, and she ushers her off. She doesn't look pregnant, Hadden. Is there a way Underlakers can tell?

"Folks," Merrell says gravely, "I'm sorry to have brought this party down. But there is beer and food still. If you wish, please stay, enjoy. I will stay here, and if any of you wish to speak to me about this, I will listen."

Jester starts playing again, something more up-beat, but he isn't singing. He's pretty shocked by this. Some folks leave. Others stay for the food. A few older men and women come up to talk to Merrell. Hadden, your mother is fighting back tears. She's sitting still, at her husband's side, but this is breaking her.

Rossi, Wandering says, "You're sticking around, yeah? Lots of food and beer." He's eating and drinking his fill.

What do you do?
  • I'm staring off into space when Wandering asks if I'm sticking around; but I turn and look at him, suddenly serious. "Tell me you're disgusted by what just happened," I whisper, almost daring him to be indifferent.
  • To Rossi:

Wandering picks up a bowl of mutton from another person's place at the table. They left, he's claiming it. "Disgusted?" He takes a bit forkful and shoves it in his mouth. "Sure. But Underlakers are savages, man. All nice and sweet in market, but they sell their kids to the mines and do..." He looks off towards Arbor, "That shit."
  • From Hadden:

Tindy, pregnant? I guess Chinsa killed one of her rabbits as well as four sheep.

I hate to leave my mom right now. She needs me. So does Arbor, so does Tindy. I hold my mom, I want to see who is talking to Merrell, what they're saying. Shit, why is there only one of me?

I try to find Rossi out there, or Jester, a look on my face like, how can we help Tindy? I gotta hope CTO is TCB.
  • edited March 2014
    I spot Hadden looking for someone, looks like me and Jester, so I stand up, finish my beer, and pat Wandering on the shoulder, "c'mon. Grab some beers. Time to chat." Then I'm guiding Hadden over to Jester.
  • To All:

Hadden, Rossi comes over to Jester, who finishes up his set for a break. Some big, dark-skinned guy is following Rossi. They were sitting and talking together. Do you know Wandeirng?

You're together. Eyes are on you here, but you can talk low, should be alright, if you're smart.

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

With no small amount of import, "Mom, this is Rossi. She's my friend. Rossi, my mom, Mimsy of Underlake." I only have an idea what this is like for her, and it hurts. I'm keeping the emotion out of my face, but there's a dark fucking undercurrent of rage in my eyes. I nod vaguely at the dude with Rossi, seems like they ran together. "I'll be right over there, mom. I..." Words fail, and I kiss her on the top of her head, hug her tight, trying to ease her pain, maybe take on some it from her.

I stick with Rossi, nodding to Jester like putting on appearances, "Do you like the guitar? I thought of you when I saw it."
  • To Hadden:

Your mom hugs you back, a bit clingy. "Be careful, Haddy."

To Both:

Jester looks at the guitar, "It's great, Hadden. Thanks." He drops his voice, "We're going to go up and save Arbor, right?"
  • I shake my head, "I am. You two are getting the fuck out of this place..." I turn to Hadden, "Your dad's a real winner, Hadden. Forcing a woman to birth a kid so he can sell it off into slavery? Great guy." let alone that he hired me to blow up a fucking town full of people.
  • From Hadden:

On the dee-ell and the queue-tee, looking to Rossi like can we trust Wandering actual, I say, "We gotta save Arbor and Tindy both. But Merrell's baiting me." I close my eyes, breathe. "I nearly forked him in the neck right there, Jester. It sounds funny out loud, doesn't it?"

"Arbor don't have long. If it's just Omatic, I might have a chance."

• Wandering offers, "If he's baiting you, then he's got more than one guy up top. I've heard what happens to folks who fuck with your Underlake customs. Won't you end up on ice, too?"

Jester blanches at the thought. "Too bad Silica isn't here. Wouldn't be so bad for her."
  • From Hadden:

I put my hand on Wandering's upper arm, talking a little fast. "Exactly. I'm not even thinking straight. He knows I'd save an innocent man. I can't even angle his innocence, there's no time. And no, interfering with a sentence usually don't merit banishment like that. But who knows what fucktard will do." I roll my eyes and my whole head.

My face drops. "I would love to have Silica waiting up top with a few ice cubes for Arbor. And a cup of hot chocolate." I look back at my mom, to where Tindy left, at Merrell, just to see what the what.

"Rossi, how would you play this?"
  • I listen to Hadden explain the consequences, and possible courses of action. Then I get an idea – Hadden said he keeps a few ice cubes in his truck's first aid kit... So I'll just mask up, head out to grab them, and take Arbor to the boat, so he can help get it started.

"Jessie," I whisper, coming back to the conversation, "Pack up, and have Hadden take you and Wandering to the boat. I'll deal with Arbor."
  • --END SCENE--