[Snowpocalypse] Breaking Tradition (R 3.9)

edited March 2014 in Snowpocalypse
To Ross:

You head out to grab some ice, put on the mask and arm up. You're out on the frozen lake, somewhere not far away some Underlakers are going to leave one of their own naked on the ice to freeze to death. You know it's a setup. They're waiting for you, but you're going anyway.

What is the plan?

Comments

• Fuck that shit. If people are going to go and fucking threaten Hadden and his people, then I want them to know Hadden's got fucking power on his side. I'm going to try and track where Arbor went. If this is an ambush, then I'd rather pick a spot that'll give me the drop on them, if you catch my drift.
  • To Ross:

I get your drift, but this guy will freeze to death right quick out here, so you'll have to move fast. Give me an Act Under Fire. With a full hit, you get the drop on them.

Too bad nobody can help you... out here in the ice.
  • OOC: AUF to find Arbor. roll+cool.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 11)
  • To Ross:

You skulk quick and quiet over the snow drifts and between ice cracks until you hear them. It's so quiet out here, and they're looking for more than one. They're strapped, Ross, but you're...

Well, you're you.

How did you take down the lookout?

You're up where the lookout was, looking down on them. They've got Arbor, Omatic and three others. Arbor is lying on his back, too weak to fight anymore, ready for death. Omatic has an assault rifle slung on his back, Chewy has a crossbow, and Naysay has an aluminum bat.

The wind is brisk, the only lights are the chem-lights on Omatic's pack and the lantern they have nearby.

What do you do?
  • edited March 2014
    That fucker with the peashooter? Ever fake an orgasm? It's a little trick I've used a couple of times to lure perverts away from their posted guard. The look on his face when he came around the drift to find this big, masked asshole with a shotgun pointed at his face was hilarious... I cracked him in the face with the butt of my gun, and snapped his neck for good measure.

... What? I didn't say I liked it, did I? The fucker would have killed me anyway. Or dragged me back to Merrell, claiming I was with Hadden. I'm not one to be a damsel in distress.

This is problematic... But it actually works out well for me. I'm used to running around in the dark and stuff, prepping ambushes for morons like this. I've got my shotgun slung over my shoulder, and that sick Assault Rifle Hadden gave me out. From the cover of the ice I shoot out the lantern down on the ground, and aim up at Omatic as a glowing target in the darkness.

"I always did like shooting out florescent lights for target practice. What say you boys put your weapons down and walk away from my buddy here... And nobody gets hurt."
  • To Ross:

Let's see you Go Aggro here, since you got the drop on them.
  • OOC: Going Aggro. roll+hard. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 4. Total: 13)
  • To Ross:

Omatic turns around slow, looking towards you. But you're in the dark, he's in the light, so it's not working in his favor, "Don't know you, don't care. But your buddy is done for, stranger. He might live, but he's dead to all of us." He is slowly reaching for the gun on his back, but moving like he's going to put it down, not whip it out.

Baseball bat is dropped. Naysay says, "Underlake politics, man. Take his carcass, I don't give a fuck."

Chewie is lowering his crossbow. He peers up, "Where's Nose-plant, man?"
  • I answer Omatic first, "I don't give a good fuck what you, or your asshole boss' politics are. Merrell and that asshole Molotov buried the northern caverns, and this boy here's going to help me set that right." Then to Chewie, presuming Nose-plant is that asshole lookout I just iced. "Your boy Nose-plant's dead — consider it a warning for backing the wrong fucking horse."
  • To Ross:

Chewie's eyes flash with anger, like boiling anger. He's going to hunt you down and take his pound of flesh. But not today.

Omatic chuckles, "Take him. Bet he begs for death later. Then, you'll wonder which horse is better." He steps back, out of the light. Chewie moves back, too. Naysay sees them, and he's shuffling away, about to break for it.

What do you do?
  • I shoot Chewie. I don't have time for fuckers who side with Merrell.
  • To Ross:

Naysay takes right the fuck off, running out of sight. Chewie, he takes the shot right in the chest, he's done. Omatic's in the dark, he stays right still. He's got no more lip for you.

What do you do?
  • I stare into the dark, not moving for a few minutes, and in a low growl I call to him, "I want you to think real hard about what you just said. Your boy Merrell fucked with the wrong man, Omatic, and you don't wanna be friends with a lying piece of shit like that." I step out into the light, my gun still trained on him, "if I were you, I'd jump ship."
  • To Ross:

Omatic says quiet, not challenging, but well, offering his opinion, "Who's the liar, stranger? Because Arbor confessed to this. He deserves death, by our tradition. Any man who takes another's wife, they're dead."

This conversation should end soon, Arbor is freezing to death. He probably already has frostbite, might lose some toes, or.. other extremities.

What do you do?
  • Why am I arguing this? I squeeze a few rounds off into Omatic's chest, and move on. Fuck it. If he's sick enough to think that tradition is upholding is not worth the lead to put them down. They probably tortured the poor fucker into admitting it anyway...

Once Omatic's dealt with, I head over to Arbor, and shove the ice down his throat. "You've got a guardian angel, buddy. Swallow."
  • To Ross:

You get him the ice. Arbor swallows, his lips blue already. It's hard to tell if it worked.

You realize, Ross, there are probably more of Merrell's guys around. You should get moving soon. So, leave Arbor and move on?
  • Fuck that! I'm grabbing him and fireman's carrying him to the sub... Boat... Thing...

Obstacles and people be damned!
  • To Ross:

You need to cut the straps binding his arms to that pole. What did you use? Surely you have some pocket knife, or you can grab something off those two bodies.

Arbor's a big mofo, Ross. You're strong, but he's nearly twice your body weight. Carrying this guy's seriously slowing you down. Good thing you climb scrapers for shits and giggles, huh?

As you're moving him towards the mines, which is the only path to the sub you know, to retrace the path to the collapsed mines, then down that long tunnel of ice to the sub, you hear gunfire. From behind you. Merrell's guys are behind you, and they're closing.

You can reach the tunnels before they catch you, but there's no way you can outrun them with Arbor on your back. If you're dedicated to keeping this sucker alive, then you're going to have to make a stand.

What do you do?
  • I'm looking for a spot I might be able to stash Arbor in. Possibly a drift, or small cavern nearby that they might miss. Of it's big enough for the both of us, bonus, but otherwise they'll get their fucking fight.
  • To Ross:

It's quiet out here, just the sound of your feet crunching on the ice, the men pursuing you as they move along, sometimes checking in with each other. Sounds like one of them has a radio.

You could make it to the miner caves, hide him there. But then they will be right on yours ass and you'll have to fight. Looks like a couple guys, maybe that snivelling Naysay is with them, sounds like he's back there.
  • OOC: Reading the Sitch. roll+sharp. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 5. Total: 10)
  • OOC: SWEET! Taking that gang advance, but we don't have to throw them in just yet. Rossi can probably deal with these fuckers alone.
    • Which enemy is my biggest threat?
    • What should I be on the lookout for?
    • Who's in control here? (Ideally, who can I shoot to make these fuckers run away)
  • To Ross:

Smith is your biggest threat. He's hanging back, letting Naysay, Fakie and Post flush you out. He's also in control, being Merrell's new second-in-command now that Arbor's effed.

You should be on the lookout for Smith's grenades. If you get mixed up with one of his thugs, he'll toss it in there on you regardless of hurting them. He needs Arbor dead.
  • Then I guess I'm gunna have to draw their attention away from Arbor, and get up close to Smith. I'm gunna drop Arbor in a ditch, and charge Smith, gun blazing, screaming like a demon.
  • To Ross:

Alright, it sounds like you're Seizing by Force here, the goal of taking out Smith. Take a +1 for following the read.
  • SBF. roll+hard. +1XP. +1forward from Read the Sitch.
    (Rolled: 2d6+4. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 12)
  • · Take definite hold of it.
    · Suffer little harm.
    · Impress/dismay/frighten enemy.
  • To Rossi:

Your crazy act takes them by surprise. Smith scrambles back, and the others fire at you while you come up past them, through them. You blow Fakie's leg off with a shot, and just barrel over Post.

Take 2-Harm before armor.

You get right up on Smith before he drops over the other side of a little snowdrift. He turns around, pulls the pin on his grenade and holds it out. Pin in one hand, grenade in the other, "Back off! Back off, man, or we both get blown to hell!"

He's right. You shoot him, he drops tht grenade and you'll eat some of that blast, even if you run before it blows.

Good news is that the others are hanging back. Naysay's taking off, again, screamin about how there's no way he's getting blown the fuck up.

What do you do?
  • edited March 2014
    OOC: I have 2-armor by default, and I possibly suffer -1harm for being scary as fuck (Rasputin).

I walk up to Smith, stalking like a bear to him, and take my shotgun out to stick in his face. "Don't worry, asshole, you can't kill me – you're a fucking dead man though. Be a good boy and wait patiently for Merrell." Then I pull the trigger and bolt for cover.
  • To Ross:

Oh yeah, Rasputin was on right there. Not doing a Harm roll due to that. Let's keep going.

Smith falls back when you shoot him, you run like mad away from that blast. It explodes at your back, snow stings your cheeks and your back feels like a truck hit it as you're thrown forward.

You fly forward and up for maybe ten feet, arms and legs still churning like they didn't know they should stop.

Wham! You land on one knee, scarves and coat still smoking, and stand up, right between Post and the prone, bleeding and whimpering Fakie. As you stand, Post lowers his gun, just shocked as all hell about what he just witnessed.

What do you do?
  • I don't know how many men Merrell has, but I think I've cleared out a good chunk of them tonight... I turn over to Post and growl, "now you've got a choice. You can either lift that gun arm against me right here and now, and I'll leave you to die slowly out here in the cold with your friend Fakie here, or you can reconsider your allegiance to that shithead boss of yours, and I'll do what I can to save your friend."

I hold my shotgun up, and lift five fingers, slowly counting down the number of seconds until I make the decision for him. "What's it gunna be?"
  • To Ross:

Yeah, Merrell's lost more tonight than he ever expected.

Post looks down at Fakie, then back up at you. "Help Fakie out. Please." The tone is concerned for his friend more than your threat. He's had a hard life, been threatened many a time. Not that he doesn't respect your word, he does. But right now, that offer for Fakie, his friend, it's more tempting.

This is Post:

Fakie's leg didn't come all the way off, by the way. He's gushing blood, and there's still a connection of meat. But the bone is pulped, he's fucked.

What do you do?
  • Well... I've already got one miracle under my fucking belt. Might as well try another one. I sling my shotgun over my shoulder, and kneel down next to Fakie's bad leg... Fuck... Last time I just kinda touched Jester... I guess...

I lay my hands near the wound, and listen to the wind again. Whatever the fuck was out there last time, if you're still there, I could sure as fuck use your help again.
  • To Rossi:

Even with that whatever power you have, his leg is done for. But you can save him from bleeding out. If you'll but call on that power. For a moment, Fakie looks up at you, fear in his eyes. Fear of death, the taste of it in his mouth.

What do you do?
  • Well... I do what I've gotta do to save him.

OOC: Healing Touch. Roll+Weird.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 10)
  • To Ross:

As Post watches over your shoulder, the wound closes up. Seeing how his skin folds in on the wound, it's like watching a piece of plastic shrivel up before a fire. You have to cut the rest of the meat off, but even that would is gone.

Post says under his breath, barely audible on the wind, "Holy... shit."

Fakie still needs to be carried, but Post bends down to pick him up into a fireman's carry. He looks to you, "So what now... what the hell do I even call you?"
  • To Ross:

Oh, Rossi, I almost forgot! Since you opened your brain, the psychic maelstrom wants to know a thing. Please release the answer to the wind, if you will.

What would you do if Jester cheated on you? Is that a thing between you two? Exclusivity?
  • Holy fuck... It worked? This is just down right creepy.

I slowly stand up and put my gloves back on, then turn to Post and clear my throat. "Ross. Go find Lemma, and tell her the Samaritan sent you. She's got some manual labor to do, and that's where we're going to be setting up. You tell anyone about what you see working for her, and we're going to have a problem — got it?"

The wind put this nasty thought in my head, about infidelity — Jester cheating on me — and it has me off balance. We never really hammered anything down. If he wanted to sleep with other people, I guess I could try it — but really? I don't think I could make that work in the long term. I'd wonder why he wanted other women. I'd get jealous, and I'd start saying stupid shit... Maybe I'd eventually accuse him of being like other men who only want sex, regardless of whether that's true or not, and salt the fields... I've been with too many men who've treated me like a piece of meat. I don't want that anymore.

... Maybe I should see what he expects from this. Because if he wants me to stick around, then I need to know if other women have his eye. If he wants other women, then he can go get them without me, and I'd never trust another man again.
  • To Ross:

Post nods, heads off to find Lemma. He'll prolly go out to her shop, which is miles away, but hey, no way you're showing all your cards right now, right?

You're alone in the cold. Alone.

Oh yeah, Arbor. I assume you check on him? He's still there, still out cold, but breathing. His body is beaten, but he'll survive.

What do you do?
  • I'm going to take Arbor out to the boat. Lemma can deal with Post and saw off the shit on Fakie's leg. I'm not a fucking doctor... I grab Arbor and lift him into a fireman's carry... It's going to be a long walk down to the boat. I sure as hell hope Hadden and Jester hurry their asses up. I don't want to have to go fucking save them too.

... I mean, I obviously would — but I need to be able to rely on them to take care of themselves to some degree.
  • --END SCENE--