[Snowpocalypse] After Party (H 3.6)

edited March 2014 in Snowpocalypse
To Hadden:

Merrell is pulled away by some of the elders and craftsmen, talking about some matters of Underlake. He leaves you to walk your mother back to hamlet, but she's not quite ready to go yet. She's working with Lashfight right now, who's about to go catch up to Merrell.

Wandering is here, sort of hanging around, not sure what the what. Jester is worried about Rossi, but saying nothing about it directly. CTO's around, keeping an eye peeled.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Our players thus far:
    Mimsy:
    Lashfight:

Wandering:
    Jester:
    CTO:
  • From Hadden:

I give CTO a look like, you understand what I'm up against and thank you for being here.

Lashfight I stop before she leaves, get down to her level. "How you doing?" I glance quicklike to my mom, like I don't want her by him.

Now, Rossi wants Jester for us and this dude to had to the the Underla- underwater boat? Okay... "Wandering? Hadden. What deal did Rossi lay out for you? Whatcha do and need?" I don't want to blind agree to what she's put me down for, but it's probably reasonable and I need to know details. I give Jester a look like, bro, I'm here, stick with me.
  • To Hadden:

Lashfight looks away, not meeting your gaze, "Tindy dishonored him. He had to do it, you know."

Wandering answers about Rossi's deal, "She didn't lay anything out, just said it was better than working at the Pier, and not working for your head honcho, ya dig?" He does some math in his head. "What're you offering and what for?"

Jester's sticking around, he doesn't look like he feels comfy here right now.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

I mutter, "He dishonors us all." I move to catch her gaze, "Lashfight. He chose to do it. Don't let him tell you otherwise. A body always has a choice." I look to mom for help, a hint of pleading in my eyes like, no, have I lost her to him?

"Got a side project. Be a lot of labor, action eventually. Give you a jingle plus room and board for a week of work and silence. Fair warning, the board right now is more zucchini than mutton and beer. What do you do at the Pier?" I think about Poke and that guard Silica zilched. I hope that don't bite us in the ass.

I whisper, "Steady, troubadour."
  • To Hadden:

Are you offering Wandering a jingle here and now? If so, he's in. If not, this is a Manipulate to hire him on.

Jester nods. He's not "peeing his pants" scared, just not comfy and worried about Rossi.
  • From Hadden:

Yes indeed, I'l slip him an oddment right here and now if he's in. You know, it's on Rossi's say-so I pay him up front. If he was just some guy, I'd probably angle to pay him after.

That reminds me, I gotta bring that chocolate cake to Nini, pick up some stuff from Stalefish and Evol.
  • To Hadden:

Wandering nods, pockets the jingle, "Alright. Point me where you want me. Wouldn't take the job if Rossi hadn't talked you up." He looks around, "Savage place here... for a moment, I thought your uncle-dad was gonna tell us we were eating the folks who fucked around on him." He chuckles.

Looks like your mom is about to head on.
  • From Hadden:

I don't laugh, which is a little odd if you know me. "It wasn't always this savage. I aim to change that. Righty-o, my bro Squirrel runs the mines. Tell him I sent you," I think for a sec, "And I said 'High Voltage!" and to give you some of his worldly insight on the intricacies of lake tunneling. I'll try to come by, but for questions to ask Lemma." That should cover the basics.

"Mom?" Hell, I sound like I'm a boy.
  • To Hadden:

Wandering has no idea what the what, but for pay, he'll go, chat with Squirrel.

Mimsy turns when you call her, especially with that tone. She fixes your gaze. In low tones, she assures, "I had no idea. I am so heartbroken for her, Haddy."
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

"I didn't barely recognize Tindy almost. What do you mean, heartbroken for her, mom?"

Even lower, "I can't abide him, mom. I take a couple deep breaths. "I nearly lost it, earlier. He almost had me this time." I get a weird happy predator look in my eye for like one second, as a thought bumbles across my brain. The last folks tried to fuck with me got a volcano. What's in store for Merrell?
  • To Hadden:

"That's she's finally with child, Haddy," she answers quietly. "She knew he was the reason, but to do this? So sad."

She pauses when you mention that you cannot abide Merrell, puts a hand on your arm. "He does what is his right. I don't... like it. But, Haddy, how did he almost have you?" She peers at you, curiously.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

We're close, speaking in low tones, and it's my mom, but there's only so much I can say aloud. Some of her words turn a certain way in my ear, and I hear it again: He was the reason. I didn't know his dagger had no poison.

"What he does is wrong."

I study her face, uncertain how she'd react to more.
  • To Hadden:

"What he does, is follow our ways," your mother responds, her hurt turning to fire. "Which his brother marked. Your father. It is not wrong to punish her, Hadden. What Tindy did was wrong."
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

It's on the edge of my tongue to just confess the affair. But that won't stop Merrell, help my people... Or her probable grandbastard.

"You speak of punishment? Right and Wrong?" A hushed, urgent whisper. "Mom, he's responsible for the Collapse."

• To Hadden:

That takes Mimsy by complete surprise. She narrows her eyes skeptically, peers at you like she used to when you were a kid. Were you a good liar, then?

"Who told you he's responsible, Haddy?" She says it like she's about to poke holes in whatever argument you lay down. She's fiercely protective of the clan. It's one of the reasons she gave for marrying your uncle in the first place, to keep the family secure, keep them safe.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

Lying is a skill. Like anything else, with enough practice, you can get good at it. Two big problems with lying, though- keeping track and people comparing notes. Tell too many and you trip in the details when people talk. Much easier, honesty. But as a kid? Sure, I was an okay liar like any other kid. Get away with some, get caught in others.

What a relief to be able to tell my mom, I feel the burden just dropping. I have my hand on her forearm, just connecting. "Arbor told me what they found. The source of his new jingle. I've seen it. Lemma and I have a plan like you wouldn't believe." This next is real intense, almost hissing with gravity: "Bigger than Kemper."

Breathe. Breathe. Think. "He would rather murder forty-two innocents to bury something amazing and pin it on Molotov. Me, I'm going to make the world better."
  • To Hadden:

She takes your arm, walks with you, further away from the party, from prying ears. It wasn't like you weren't secluded, but that kind of intel, it scares her. She's done peering at you for now, at least. "He has been flush with jingle lately. Bragged about a new find. But... you're saying he killed them?" She exhales loudly, disbelief in the audacity of this thing.

"Cappel," your mother says his name quickly, reverently. He was the best miner in the northern mines. "Cappel was excited about something, before the blast. Merrell wasn't so happy about it, but then, Merrell never trusted Cappel."

She turns her head and spits. It's a curse, an Underlake curse. "Take me to see it, Haddy."
  • From Hadden:

Oh course Cappel found it first! He was really something amazing. Had a fantastic sense of direction and never got lost. Huh, his name wasn't in the tomb. Merrell must've zilched him early. Fucknut.

"CTO, Jester and I were going to head there this night. I look at the door where Sapient went. "After what just happened, I hoped to see Tindy first, maybe bring her food." I'm not going to push it so she doesn't cotton. I can always sneak her out. Must do it soon, tonight maybe.
  • To Hadden:

Mimsy shakes her head. "Not tonight, Haddy. She's tough, she'll survive a night. She should take the time to think about what she's done." She gives you a level stare, then adds, "Plus, Merrell will be watching. If Arbor ratted him out, and he decided to have him killed, then he'll be watching Tindy. So stay clear. I'll get Lashfight to look after her. Are we clear?"

She waits for your answer.
  • From Hadden:

She's sharp. "Clear as yesterday's ice." It's an Underlake mining thing. Before we go back to Jester, who I also need to talk to alone, I give her a look, and I'm about to tell her how much I worry about her and the sibs and the cousins and even the regular people like Cappel and Kettle and Squirrel and sweet old Orage. Everything's on me and I haven't seen a safe way past Merrell yet and who else will die before he does?

Instead, I just kiss her on the forehead and say, "I love you, mom."
  • To Hadden:

She reaches up to take your head in her hands, and kisses your forehead in return, "And I you."

If you wish to meet with Jester, your mother will await a meeting with you to see this thing Lemma showed you.

You can catch Jester tuning his guitar, still worrying about his lover.
  • From Hadden:

Shit yes, I wish to meet with Jester. He my boy. I come up to him, sit nearby. Even when he's tuning, his fingers have a grace to them. "I almost had someone make you a harmonica-holder out of a couple coat hangers. Glad I went to see Fun Size instead."

I nod at a bottle of wine, or beers. "Want to talk before we go?"
  • To Hadden:

Jester nods, hobbles over to the table, gets a beer, drinks a long draught. "Harmonicas are the worlds currency. I always try to give mine away, just to see if I can spread music around." He gives a nervous smile, a fake smile. "What the what, man?"
  • From Hadden:

"Not sure I can play and dance at the same time, but I'll give it a go." My smile is small, but I clink his glass.

I nod at the chair next to me. Gotta get this man a wooden toe or something. "I'm worried about you worrying about her. How can I help besides ply you with drinks and deliver her safe to your bed?"
  • To Hadden:

Jester sits, a little heavily, "That's the thing, Hadden. I can drink, you can drink. We can both talk about it. But only Rossi can come back, you know? Nobody delivers her, but her. Which is what I love about her." But he sounds more sad than in love. At least right at this moment.

After a couple more drinks, he looks up, "Between you and me... I don't think Tindy's baby is Arbor's."
  • From Hadden:

"She is one kick-ass amazing froody bitch." I allow, total respect. "She and I go back a ways. I'm real glad to see you together. You're a good man, and good for her. She needs your happy ass to balance out the crap she puts up with." I think about Silica, about the Samaritan.

I look around fast, see who's watching. Lean in, real low. "I know it's not. He doesn't like her."
  • To Hadden:

On the balance bit, Jester quirks a smile, "I'm just glad to have this gig, so I don't feel like a burden."

Then, about Arbor not liking Tindy. "Yeah. When we're alone, we should talk about who she likes."
  • From Hadden:

"Not in my book, so shut yo face. When this blows over, I'll show you the theatre people, get you some real gigs."

I give a look like, loose lips sink ships. "We'll have to get together dirtside."
  • To Hadden:

Jester nods at that, and the two of you head on out, right? Are you picking up Mimsy? CTO and Wandering, too?
  • From Hadden:

Yes. Me and the whole retinue GTFO.

Oh, I kiss Lashfight goodbye and tell her to have Slash talk to Squirrel tomorrow.
  • --END SCENE--