[Snowpocalypse] Wakey Wakey (H 3.8, S 3.7)

edited March 2014 in Snowpocalypse
To Hadden:

You went back to Hamlet after getting things moving, slept in your bed. Merrell was out, your mom made sure you were protected, even slipped you a pistol. Just in case.

You're woken at the ass crack of dawn. It's Lashfight. She told you that you have some ice walker visitor named Silica. She waits for you to dress... did you sleep alone, or with one of the Underlakers? You know, for comfort.

To Silica:

Lunch isn't around now, you last saw him about Market. He was sitting on a stall, watching.

Handplant snuck you past everyone until you got to Hamlet. A knock on the door was answered by a young girl, maybe K2's age. She looked at you through the slot in the door, but opened up when she saw Handplant. HP introduced you to her, her name's Lashfight. She doesn't seem to like you very much.

After Lashfight left to fetch her brother, you were left alone with HP in a kind of foyer, with furniture and pictures and tables, all slightly matched, but worn.

To Both:

Lashfight appears again, with Hadden behind her. Hadden, you see Silica and Handplant, too. Most everyone is asleep, except you four.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Silica

Not liking me very much seems to be the default. "Well fuck you too," I say under my breath. Though she probably can't hear me she can probably sense the cold look I'm returning to her. Lashfight huh?

As Hadden enters I'm leaning against the wall near the door, one knee bent so the sole of my tennis shoe is on the wall. No socks. I'm wearing my jeans and tshirt... pack on the ground next to me.

I look up with my eyes as I see him... I don't smile, but there's an urgency on my face. "Hadden..." I say.
  • From Hadden:

Yes indeed, I wanted good lay after all that... but no way am I bringing a fuck buddy to Hamlet to sleep. My brain is aswirl with candidates... but my bed at Hamlet has too many memories of Tindy, and how she looked when I saw her last, and the time before. Nothing wrong with sleeping alone, even if it feels like penance a little. My dreams are... uneasy at best.

I'm woken after not enough sleep by Lashfight sticking a nub of an icicle in my ear, and that makes you leap right the fuck out of bed, in case you didn't know. C'mere, I'll show you. She runs out the rooom, giggling, teasing me about a girl come to see me. Still half-dreaming, I wonder if it's Tindy or K2 or Backside Misty, but she says it's Silica.

Silica? I hope she's okay, to come here in the middle of the night. I get dressed pretty quickly, trying out the new pistol in my jacket... gonna need to make a holster for that side, try some two-fisted badassery posing. Yeah, maybe some shooting lessons with Rossi. That's pretty funny, acutally.

I get dressed, want some coffee, and head to the foyer. I probably don't look a thousand percent together, and I'm half-biting my lip because I'm afraid she's wounded. There's relief on my face, plain, and there is a warmness to my eyes when I see her, but I'm wondering what the what when I see she's with Handplant. No K2, and I wonder if their fighting got bad. "Silica," and I'm halfway across the room in midmotion before I remember she's weird about being touched. So I'm close to her. "You okay?" I glance to Handplant, who looks kitted for biz, real concerned,"Everyone okay?"
  • Silica

I open my mouth a tiny bit as if to speak, you know what I always say... but it seems useless... I just shrug, a little sadly, shake my head ironically side to side just a hint and kinda look towards the door, towards outside, "not ok... shit happens right?"

I try to smile but it comes out all teary-like... wow... I didn't expect that. My breath comes out hard.
  • From Hadden:

When I see tears in those blue blue eyes, I break my own promise to myself and reach out to offer comfort, my hand lightly on her shoulder opposite the door so she doesn't feel trapped. I rub very lightly, she's like snow. "Get boring otherwise, right?" I try a smile back, see if she takes.

I look to Handplant like, how serious is this? Over my shoulder, "Lashfight, would you please bring something from the kitchen for our guests? I think there's mutton left, maybe leave it cold?" I'm back to looking between the two of them.

"What the what?" I hide a yawn, badly.
  • To Both:

Lashfight rolls her eyes, "There's mutton. I guess I'll get it. For Handplant." She stalks out, shoulders tense, irritated to be the serving wench.

When she leaves, Handplant says, "Silica's had a rough few days, Hadden. She's got some heat coming down on her. You knew about Stink Bug, but now she's got the Soulja Boys hunting for her, too."

OOC: Silica is not aware of the event with the Soulja Boys. She witnessed some after-effects, that's it.
  • From Hadden:

Maybe there'll be coffee. "Thank you Lashfight, you're a helpful hostess!" The phrase is worn smooth from use. Gotta make sure she knows that i'm not excluding her.

A crease of worry, but I know Handplant would have to be drunk as three women to let those gunghos follow her. "I figure the Soulja Boys be too busy buying suntan lotion and roasting marshmallows to worry about one little icewalker. What happened?" I'm still resting my hand lightly on her shoulder, maybe the occasional small circle.
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

I turn my head back to his face when he touches me... he's lookin' me right in the eyes so I look right back. His eyes are calm... like you can fill 'em with your problems and they'll just get lost in there. How's he stay so fuckin' together? Ain't he got problems? I know he's always got some kind of shit goin' down.

He touches my shoulder, I lean slightly away but I don't stop it. He's a different kind of warm.

Handplant is right here, and this little bitch Lashfight who feels like she's gonna be a thorn. "Hadden... " I wait till Lashfight leaves to the kitchen, watching her deliberately, Hadden can see my eyes follow her. My voice comes out a little more broken than I expected, "had a helluva time... you know... since..." Since you what... fuckin' abandoned me at Underlake, at Squirrel's... if he's looking at my eyes he can see a hundred different hurts in there and a little bit of anger... but I try to keep it inside.

I smile at him, this painful smile, "I don't know what the fuck I expect you to do... Hadden... I just... thought you'd know what's what." I must sound ridiculous. "You know?" A long pause as I look up and picture that moment, "Hadden, you come sweepin' in, reach down and pull me outta the shit I'm in..."

I can't find more words right now, I just look at him, my mouth frozen in the middle of a thought... like he's going to say two words and it's all better.

Sure... sure he is... but hey I can hope right?
  • From Hadden:

"I'm here."

And I am, too. Part of me remembering that day back by the sniper turf. Pulling her out ofv that hole in the ground. I got a smile, a real one. Me and Handplant zooming in as a rescue while... Samaritan TCB and covered us. Last time, I pulled her out of a hole for to Underlake. This time, sounds like I'm pulling her out of Underlake into a hole.

I see all thousand hurts in her blue blue eyes and I know I'm signing on to play hero again.

"I'll help."

I hold it for a sec, just those blue blue eyes of hers and how she smells clean, like girl, like woman. Can she tell I want to kiss her? I wonder what kind of earful Handplant'd smack into me.

I pull back a sec to include Handplant, and to be open for Lashfight when she comes back."What all we up against?"
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

"I'm here."

He says... yeah... and he's lookin' at me like that... like what? I'm suddenly self conscious. Wipe at my eyes and try and get my shit together like it matters all of a sudden.

"I'll help."

Bullshit... right? The kind of bullshit guys fuckin' say... but I thnk he really believes it... Hadden? What is it about him?

He's lookin' at me like... like something, and it gets me fidgety, I gotta move. So I step away from the wall, kind of looking around the place. Is this Hadden's place? I'm not sure...

My eyes are on the door to the kitchen, where Lashfight disappeared a bit ago, "just assume any fucker not standin' right here got the curse on my ass... half o'them out gunnin'." How did it get so bad? "Soulja's... you know all about that shit right? The fuckin' pier after me..."

I all but count on my fingers, "shit went down with Squirrel... an' the stinkies..Hadden you gotta know, right?"

I look at Handplant for a second, she knew... so I stop short, wonderin' what he knows. He knows, right? I just narrow my eyes a little and wonder without so many words.
  • To Both:

"Plus, Hadden, don't forget Frontie's snipers. She's wanted for murder at the Pier, too." Handplant adds to make sure nothing is missed.

Lashfight is rummaging around in the kitchen. You head some clinks of glasses, movement, stuff like that. She's either working on it, or faking it and listening in. Hard to tell which is which.
  • From Hadden:

Seems like even a light touch makes her skittish. "Yeah, I know about how it went down at Squirrel's. It's a real shame about Sister Rat. Were you two close?"

To Handplant, "I thought someone else took down Frontside Grip's snipers," I say, meaning the Samaritan. "How can they pin that on her?"

"Lashfight, whenever you're done, we would welcome you join the conversation," I call back, doing my best to not sound like my mother. It's moderately successful.
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

He asks about Footie and this trembling feeling rises inside me... I answer with a comforting lie, "no... that don't mean nothin' to me..." But I can't look him in the eye saying that

He mentions Samaritan... now I look, "you know I was there... snipas no friends of mine even on a good day."
  • To Both:

Handplant answers you, Hadden, "Well, she was carrying around Frontside Indy Grip's goggles, and the Skegs saw it. So at least one of them ratted her out. Frontie's cousins want her head."

Lashfight comes in, handing out plates of mutton, fresh cut. She heads back over to stand in a doorway, against the wall, crosses her arms. She's here, listening.
  • Silica

"He can get in line..." just great... "Someone must figure I'm aces with a shotgun then... fucker deserved it too..."
  • To Both:

Lashfight mutters, loud enough for all to hear, "No argument here. Frontie family are all fuckers."
  • From Hadden:

Not sure I believe Silica all the way. Something else going on there with Sister Rat. Nibbling on mutton, watching her reaction.

I'm considering Handplant's notion about a Skeg rat.

"How many of them Frontsides left, Lashfight? At least it's not the Nose clan."

"How attached you to those purple dreads?" I'd miss them. It's a good color for her. "Could be easy to fake you're dead at Soldier's Volcano, start sending someone to claim the bounties."
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

My hair? Truth is the color's fading to an unhealthy looking pale color and I've been letting my natural brown grow out... so they're only semi-purple at the moment. It's not like you get really good quality hair dye around here, stuff doesn't last.

I do wonder about the Fronties... looking at Lashfight, "there ain't too many.. but don't take many to be enough... sure as shit keepin' my head down up there."

Hadden mentions my hair... cuttin it? Is that what he means?

"I don't know.... man... you think I stand out?" I take a second to turn and kind of pose, tossing my hair over a shoulder... my icy eyes shining. I smile with closed lips and kind of shrug.

Yeah I know it's a joke, I'm one of the most recognizable nobodies in Chi-town.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

She stands out to me. "Yup."
  • edited March 2014
    [OOC: reading Silica, roll+sharp, marking XP]
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 2. Total: 7)
  • (No interference)
  • To Both:

Lashfight rolls her eyes dramatically when Silica shows off, but she doesn't say anything. Handplant's watching this sort of tete-a-tete without much to say.
  • [Spending hold: Silica, don't hold back: what are you really feeling?]
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

Whatever, man... Lashfight's raining on my fun, but seriously, "momma liked my hair long..." I say in all sincerity. You can tell that cutting it is probably not an option... "but... the purple... whatever."

How am I feeling? Terrified... all these various shitfuckers out there after me, right? Of course I'm scared... but I'm always scared. A little.. this has just gotten out of control and nowhere feels safe... and I don't like it to show. I don't want anyone to know I'm scared... that I can't handle myself. That means a lot to me and it's so obvious that Im over my head... this is hard.

There's something else on my mind though, something more personal, something happening to me that I'm struggling to understand and struggling whether to share. All this weird and terrible shit has happened around me and some of it might be more my fault than I admit... I don't know who I trust enough to tell.

Confused... I'm confused what Hadden is to me... I think of him more like a father.. no no... not a father... maybe a big brother... yeah. That's good... a brother... but still that moment he saved me was thrilling, absoultely turned me the fuck on... but it didn't seem to go anywhere... it went to squirrel's. Am I over that? Well... sort of? I'm wondering who I could ever love...
  • From Hadden:

"Any one group, we bribe or make amends. All these need a more creative solution." I have a bit of a glint in my eye, thinking about the underwater boat. She could be safe there. I give her a look like I'm your huckleberry

"So if you're going to ground, first we change your look. I owe Handplant some supplies anyway. I know you're up for some scavenging." There's a few out-of-the-way places we might get lucky. "Lashfight, you're crafty. Got any clothes-wise ideas?" Trying to draw her in a little, she's my sis.

I rub my eyes, shake my head a little to get the blood flowing. Does this count as Silica making a move? I have such a hard time telling how she feels about me, or if she's just running to the last guy who saved her sweet ass. Maybe she don't know. Could be fun to find out.
  • Silica

I came here for something... for help I guess, and I'm trying to keep an open mind... Hadden knows what's what right?

"Oh man... seriously?" I tug on my hair a little, pulling it over one shoulder... "You know I know my way around... Hadden if you got shit for me to do... scavengin' or lakeside shit... or whateva... I got that, right? I ain't here asking for freebies."

But I'm a little skeptical about this girl Lashfight... now nobody's exactly introduced us, though they seem close. I know Hadden was bangin' Kaykay... I gotta wonder.
  • To Both:

Lashfight peers at Silica for a moment, says, "Well, maybe some of my old clothes might fit her. From like five years ago. But whatevs, was only keepin it in case Tin..." she trails off, like she stumbled into that sentence, and it hurt.
  • Silica

Only my eyes move, glancing from Lashfight to Hadden and back. Somethin's gone down, right? None of my fuckin' business, I keep my mouth shut.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

I'm eyes on Lashfight, keeping my mouth shut. I'll get up and go to her, give my kid sister a reassuring hug, kiss her in the head. I want to see Tindy, gotta redeem her somehow. "It'll be okay, sis," I say softly. Where's Slash been?

After a sec, "A little knit pullover cap with all your hair tucked under, will do a lot. Lashfight's got a real gift with making stuff, you know. No haircuts less'n you want."

I roll my eyes. "I know you know your way around. You can get places others don't look. That's one of the reasons I want you scavenging with me. And shut up about freebies already, willya? But you better take some of that food along. It's fresh."
  • To Hadden:

Lashfight bends to the hug, sniffs one, looks away, covering it with, "Yeah. Well, she's getting what she deserved." She pushes some anger in that statement, but you know her. She looked up to Tindy, like a kickass aunt.

It's four in the morning. Slash is a-fucking-sleep. He was around last night.
  • Silica

I gotta bite my lip... a knit cap? Serious-fucking-ly? Well, if he looks at me I try not to show what I think of that Idea. And they're talking some heavy stuff too... ain't just me got problems right?

"Damn right I can get places balla's can't hit... I never been nothin' when it comes to shit like that, Hadden..." he tells me to shut up or whatever, too... whatever. "You talkin' like we got plans? We got plans?"
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

I bite my tongue. Give Lashfight the tiniest shake of the head "no" and a look like, there's more to the story. Fuck, the serpent is filling her ears.

"Whatever yourself. Style ain't where we are right now. Trying to get you not recognized is where we are, little miss purple dreads. Something to hide 'em." I'm smiling a little, not being a dick.

"Oh, you know Hadden got plans. You game to roll?""
  • Silica

Miss purple dreads.

"Pfft," I just scoff at that. Anyone else said that to me I'd probably tear 'em up... but Hadden. Yeah, he doesn't mean anything by it. "Alright gimme a hoodie or something... whatever..." I'm smiling a little, too. He's not a dick.

When he says he's got plans I'm all nods.

"I'm in there like swimwear, Haddie," I manage a little sly smile and a slightly-confident nod. Good to have my mind on something proper.
  • To Both:

Lashfight breaks off from you, Hadden, "Ima get some clothes for purple dreads."

Handplant stands up from the ottoman she was sitting on during this, asking, "Hadden, something happen to Tindy?"
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

I let go of Lashfight, tell her "Thanks, sis," get a piece of string or twine or whatever, and walk over to Silica. "Here's for your dreads." Silica could pull off an actual swimsuit, huh.

Looking to Handplant, "Yeah, she's... with child. Merrell said it was Arbor's." I mouth the words, "not here" and kind of eye the Hamlet, shake my head. I kinda breathe hard through my nose, blink fast, and find myself looking over my shoulder.
  • To Both:

HP's eyes widen at that. She looks at you, Hadden, mouths the words, "Yours?"
  • From Hadden:

I give a look like, probably but dunno. She can see plain I'm hurting and torn.
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

I follow Hadden with a turn of the head as he mentions the pregnancy. None of my fuckin' business, yeah, thought not.

I take the what... twine? Guess I'm meant to tie my hair up? Ponytail? I suck at this kind of thing.

Taking a chance... I hold my hand out with the string to Lashfight, "hey, can you... uh... do something with this?" I tilt my head and if she takes it I'll turn around for her to get at my hair.
  • To Both:

Lashfight just came back in with an armful of clothes, all big and baggy stuff, some hoodies and tooks and even a pair of shades. Silica, you look over at her with the string, and ask for her help. She pauses for a second, like maybe she's going to be a bitch. But then she just tosses the clothes over an arm on the couch, takes the string from you.

"Here, let me pull this mess of hair up for you," Lashfight says, irritated a little, but it sounds like it's for show. You pick up on that somehow, Silica. Probably because it sounds familiar, maybe? She's careful with your hair, doesn't pull it or anything, puts it in a high ponytail and ties it off. "You should cut it. Show off your neck. Or, whatever." Then she's done. She hands you the hoodies and caps and shades. Which one strikes your fancy?

Hadden, HP gives you a look of a bit of sympathy, but it's just a quick thing, a friend thing.
  • From Hadden:

"You should let Lashfight trim you at least. She's got an eye."

I give Handplant a nod of appreciation. I want to talk to her solo, maybe when Silica's getting dressed. I need to grab my go-bag. Going to be a long day.
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

Yeah, I'm right on that edge too, of being a bitch or not I guess. Not that I'd say it that way... I'm never a bitch. Of course not.

Lashfight brings in that pile of clothes and like... ugh... but ok... I asked for this. Probably got this look on my face like somethin' stinks but yeah. hand her the string and let her at my back.

The uncomfortable tugging at my hair is setting off all kinds of little personal space issues, but I bear with it... she's being careful enough not to hurt but my hair is kind of a beast, right?

She finishes up, feels funny, my hair up like that, like it's brighter in here. I say to Lashfight, not entirely confident about this, "yeah... my neck... riiight." I kind of look at Hadden for a reaction. Don't think I've had a ponytail since I was a kid... Rossi probably did it for me.

He mentions a trim and I'm like... "no fuckin way..." I shake my head with a definite no and can't help but run my hands along the side of my head behind my ear. My hair's all weird... "feels weird."

I look at Lashfight again and give her the tiniest of little nods of the chin like... ok, we're cool.
  • edited March 2014
    To Silica:

Lashfight just looks over at the clothes, then back at you, like "yeah, take 'em". Which is probably a big thing. And one of the hoodies is pretty cool, at least. All black with this badass yellow lightning bolt in the center, like right on the chest.

Hadden takes off for his go bag. Lashfight asks you, "You wanna come change in my room or somethin? My dumbass brothers will be coming into the bathroom on you, no lock."
  • Silica

Lightning bolt huh? Well it's not exactly inconspicous either... which is good. I can be fucking conspicuous as long as I'm not the same kind of comspi.. oh fuck it. What do I look like, a dictionary?

Her room? Why the hell not, come this far... "Yeah... sure," I'll go with her to her room... why's every other damn girl got a room?

"You have... uh... brothers? How's that?" I ask as we go.
  • To Silica:

She leads you down a hall into this room:

Lashfight opens the door, waits for you to go in ahead of her, "I dunno, my mom popped out a buncha kids and some were boys, what you think?" She huffs a sarcastic laugh, then waves it off, "Slash and I, we joke that mom loved Haddy so much she kept tryin to make another. They gave up after me. I'm the youngest."

She turns around, faces the door, giving you some privacy.
  • edited March 2014
    From Hadden:

I like Silica with the hair up- you can see her whole face. She probably likes to hide behind the dreads, but in this case more is less- hide the shock of purple, give her some sunglasses, baggy clothes, and what icewalker? At least good enough to fool a casual bounty hunter.

I come back out, adjusting my go-bag with the extra weight from the extra pistol. Got me a little off balance. Silica and Lashfight's both gone, hopefully changing and getting along.

What's Handplant doing when left in here alone?

I move closer, so I can talk real quiet, murmuring. Fill her in. Drop the cool. "Didn't know you knew." I mean about me and Tindy."Merrell put Arbor on the hook, banished him. Rossi saved him, zilched Smith and a few others. Tindy's sentenced to... well you know. I don't know how I'm getting her out of this one. I squeeze my eyes tight, sigh.

Still whispering, "Lemma & I got an amazing thing cooking, it might be a new holding. I need to show you and Oakley. Change Chi-town, I cannot understate."

Normal tone, "How's by you?" I'm asking about Hitec and K2, of course. I miss 'em.
  • To Hadden:

Handplant shrugs about Tindy, like, to her, it was obvious. On the Merr and Arbor update, her face falls, not happy. Not happy at all. And Tindy? Well, once, while drunk, HP made a sort of veiled compliment on her eyes. Not that it was a thing, but she's noticed Tindy. This is not good news for her to take.

Then you up and sell her on the new hold and she's not sure how to take it, right? Sort of suspicious, but then it's you, and you two are solid. So she nods, accepts it, eager to check it out when you can. She knows you suck at secrets, she can be patient.

When you put it back in her court, she closes her eyes like "what a night I've had". She shakes her head, "Short version - women be crazy."
  • From Hadden:

I forgot about that time she got drunk. And Tindy does have nice eyes... Mmmm, that Tindy. Ahem.

"That's why we love 'em, right?" It's an old joke, and I'm glad to share it with her.

Handplant and Rossi would rock to fix up security for Lemma and the underwater boat, now that I think about it. Whaddaya mean, I suck at secrets?
  • Silica

The hell is up with this room? I'm not too worried about privacy, you gotta deal.

What do I think? I shrug, "I dunno... never had a brother..." Not that I know of. My father wasn't the kind to go out an wax a lot of women, I mean... he had everything he fuckin' wanted at home...

Why the hell'd I go and think about that shit... ugh...

I put it outta my head, "you're fuckin' seriously Haddies little sista? Shit... I thought people like him just... just is... weird him even havin' family... like he rose outta the snow one day grown... he ain't never been a kid..." I know he was of course... but yeah, I can't imagine.
  • To Hadden:

Handplant makes a pfft noise, like "yeah, we love em". Then she turns subjects around on you, "If he's made a play on T, then you're in deep shit, Hadden. I sincerely hope we're gonna GTFO now, right?"

To Silica:

"Yessss," Lashfight says, annoyed that yet another person is enamored with her brother. "He's my big bro. And you know what? He's kind of an asshole. I mean, sure, he's all "Here now, let me throw you some help and all", but then in five minutes, he'll strike up on someone else who "needs some help" and then someone else, too. And where are you, three people back? Still on his To Do list, which never gets smaller. Or done."

This gets her on a tear, "And you know he's a manslut. I mean, he's lucky he convinced some people to pay him, because he will stick his dick into anything. Love em, then move on, then come back around later, just in case. Can't believe he aint got crotch rot. Last one he actually really gave a shit over was Never Summer. Just.. steer clear, Silica."
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

She actually gets me snickering a little bit, yeah at Hadden's expense. But she's funny, ok? I'm changing while she talks, gettin that hoodie on, careful not to muss my hair. Peel off my jeans and empty the pockets, get a pair of khaki's or some shit to wear... going to look like a dude when I'm done... sure, nobody'd buy that... maybe a kid though.

Then steer clear, she says, and I gotta say something, "whoa wait the fuck up... who said that's even a thing?"

I hold my hands up in front of me like all defensive, "that ain't how it is, ok? I ain't goin' all stupid on Hadden, allright? For real." But there's this little silly stupid smile on my face... I only notice it once I stop talking.

Clear my throat and... yeah...

"How's that?" Show her my new look... lightning fuckin' girl.
  • To Silica:

Lashfight turns around when you present yourself. She looks you up and down, crosses her arms. "You look different, for sure. Kinda swallows you up. You need to cut the pants legs, or you'll trip all o'er yourself. And with you doin ice, you're gonna burn the hell up. But it should work."
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

So yeah I stand and let her look at me... this is weird. She's right, I'll head back into the other room and get my little pocket knife from my pack. Probably walk right past Haddie and HP regardless of what they happen to be talking about.... grab it and march back into Lashfight's room...

They get a good look at me all baggy-like... I don't even look, takes me a couple tries with a thumbnail to get the stupid fuckin' knife... "grrr, stupid fuckin' knife!" open while I walk back.

So yeah I sit down in her room somewhere and get a grip of the fabric, cut the legs off a few inches below the knees so I can get some air up in there... few inches of skin showin' above my tennies'll help.

Then a satisfied smile... give her a little how's that? shrug.
  • From Hadden:

"You don't need to remind me. I hate to leave her. But I can't do anything from here to help."

Before I can say much else, Silica parades past. I look impressed. Not bad. I look to Handplant. "Survey says?"
  • To Silica:

Lashfight shakes her head, "If you'd cut off any more, you'd look like an ice-walker for sure. You sort of pass." She holds out a hand and waves it side to side a little, like "so-so". "Look like a boy, though." She laughs at that one.

Then, she switches up, gives you a serious look, "You really into Hadden?"

To Hadden:

Handplant looks at Silica leaving. "Not bad." Then she looks back at you, a wry look on her face, "And how long do you think she'll stay in those clothes before she decides she just has to strip down to her t-shirt and shorts again? I give it two days." She's complaining, but she's got a little smirk about it.
  • From Hadden:

"She was terrified when she got here. Now she's got a handle on things, we can start to work through it. If she's in deep shit like I'm in deep shit, this isn't something that's going to blow over. But two days give her a head start." I hide one last yawn.

"You know her better than me, for years, Handplant. Got any advice?"
  • To Hadden:

"Let's take a look at the thing you found, maybe we can get her to hole up. Bigger fish to fry out there, for most folks." Handplant says it, but she's thinking through options. "Maybe we go hunt down the rest of Frontie's asshole family. It'd make all of Chi-town safer."
  • From Hadden:

I have a wry grin of my own for her. "I was hoping for something more like, 'she's scared of spiders,' but it's good to stay focused on the big picture."

I go to pick up some of the sliced mutton for the trip and notice that Lashfight's left the plate next to a bowl on the table. It's a medium thing, like you'd hold in two hands, kind of woven out of some colorful wire.

Looks like this:

Lashfight and Tindy made it together, while back. Took them ages, they kept missing rows and unwrapping and starting over and gossiping. I tap it with a finger, it wobbles. There'd be fruit in it sometimes. I swallow hard, rub my temples. Every way I think of to get close to her makes it worse.
  • Silica

She gives me a tentative pass, saying I look like a boy. "oh hah-hah..." yeah I know they're small, whatever... I don't think I look like a boy. No way.

Am I really into... "no... no way. He's like... just really like... weird... good weird. You know?" What the fuck am I even talking about?

She's probably giving me some kind of a look... I shake my head and repeat.

"Seriously..." but I'm forced to think about it... seriously? "No way, ok? Why... has... has he said somethin' about me?"
  • To Hadden:

Handplant shakes her head about the spiders thing, but she doesn't give you any guff about it. You feel her eyes on you when you pick up the bowl and hold it. "You knew it was coming, Hadden. It just came at you, instead of the other way round. We'll regroup, find a weakness, then drive it home. But we need to GTFO, right?" She's standing. Getting impatient.

To Silica:

Lashfight rolls her eyes when you call Hadden weird, like she knows what you're saying. "No, Silica, he's never mentioned you. Not ever." She says it flatly, almost hard. Then, she works her mouth, like disappointed, huffs a sigh, looks away, "But I see how he's fussing over you. He wants something. I dunno, take care of you, get with you, somethin. Just... oh whatever. Just do whatever."
  • From Hadden:

I feel antsy too, Handplant. More than you. "Yeah. Just unbalanced me. Still is." I spin the bowl on a finger, flip it, catch it, put it back. Familiar motions. "What's keeping them? No time for love, Doctor Jones." I mutter. Last thing I need is to barge into Lashfight's room while she's snogging Silica. I'd never hear the end of it from anybody.
  • To Hadden:

Handplant mutters, "I really don't want to walk in on Silica" She almost says "again", or it felt like it. But she heads on anyways. Do you let her go?
  • From Hadden:

No, this is my household. "Let me." I go tap on her door. I call, low, "Lashfight?"
  • To Silica:

Hadden knocks on the door, right after Lashfight's "advice". She rolls her eyes, again. She's rather good at it. Walks over, opens the door.

To Hadden:

Lashfight opens the door, gestures like "c'mon in", but sarcastically, like she couldn't stop you. "She's ready."

What do you do?
  • Silica

Hadden finds us just standing around, not snogging or whatever his imagination was seeing. Seriously Hadden?

I look up from my own feet as he enters. I'm in that black and yello lightning bolt hoodie, hair up. I've got those cargo pants cut off half up my calves.... skin showing down to my tennies... I don't wear socks. Still got my little bird earrings on, though.

Totally forgetting that he saw me get my knife, a shrug, and arms down at my sides.

I kind of say what I already know, "well I look like shit, right?"
  • To Both:

The hoodie is a worn version of this:
  • From Hadden:

I didn't seriously think they were snogging, just doing girl stuff taking forever to get dressed. Is Silica even into girls? "Shazam, Silica. Don't insult yourself or my sister, you look cool." I thumbs-up to Lashfight, then kind of backwards nod at the door for Silica. "Let's GTFO, okay?"
  • Silica

Shazam? The fuck?

But ok, he gets a little smile out of me, "cool... fuckin' right I'm always cool." Wow I didn't even mean...

Ok, I fold up my knife and stick it in my pocket and get my shit together, "Gee'in the eff oh happens to be one of my specialties," I look to Lashfight, "seeya 'round girl."

She done good... figures she's Hadden's sister. Good people.
  • From Hadden:

Before we get out of here, I want to whisper to Handplant, "Think someone could pull off a security audit for Tindy?"
  • To Silica:

Lashfight gives you a nod, like "alright, maybe you won me over....a little". "Stay... fuck, I was gonna say stay cool, but... anyways. Bye." She laughs despite herself.

To Hadden:

HP purses her lips, thinking, "Let me see what the what. Not gonna put anyone at risk for a break-out. Not till we walk through the plan. She'll be kept in good health, fed, just like the customs. She's not in any danger, so we pick our time. Right?" She looks right at you, asks again, "Right, Hadden?"
  • edited March 2014
    Silica

They're talkin' about me but I'm not sure I get it. Sounds like Hadden's got troubles of his own... I think about saying something but If he needs me I'm here. He just gotta ask, right?
  • From Hadden:

To Handplant: "No, not physical danger. You're right." I catch Silica looking... hopeful? ...eager? ...excluded? I lean over to whisper in her ear, "I'll tell you outside. Too many ears hear." I'm so close to her, can almost feel the cool of her skin... she's wearing some kind of familiar scent I can't quite place. Didn't think she wore perfume.
  • Silica

I lean away ever so slightly as he whispers into my ear, I can feel his warmth. I nod just enough for him to see, yeah... ok... that works.

I feel weird like this... let's get outta here. Startin' to get hot.
  • To Both:

You head out of the Hamlet. If you want, you can easily split off from Handplant. Hadden, you want to send her off for some work, or maybe home to catch up on sleep?

Regardless, if you want to talk, you can make that happen. The sun's up now, folks are getting to work in the mines and other places, making use of the light outside.
  • From Hadden:

I'd rather she get home to her family, get some rest and comfort. If she needs pay or work, I'll supply. It's on the tip on my tongue to ask about K2 and Hitec, but I don't want to bring them up in front of Silica just yet. I'll just fistbump and tell Handplant that I'll catch up with them later.

"Silica, you want to ride in the cab for once? I can keep the heater off."
  • --END SCENE--