[Snowpocalypse] Crossings (R 3.11)

edited March 2014 in Snowpocalypse
To Rossi:

You're out at Underlake Market the next morning. Jester is checking out some picks that Orage is selling and you're just keeping an eye out. You spot Poptart. She's got a pack on her back, eyes narrowed, watching everyone like they're a threat.

She sees you soon after you see her. She doesn't smile, or anything, but she moves over towards you.

What do you do?

Comments

• What the hell is Poptart doing here? I cautiously take a few steps towards her, staying within sight of Jester and whisper, "you're the last person I ever expected to see here."
  • To Rossi:

Poptart doesn't look at you directly, still scanning the crowd. She certainly doesn't hug or anything. "Well, Soulja Boys got a fucken volcano on their front porch, so they're not around.... plus, ran out of food."

She follows your gaze over to Jester. "Hrmph."
  • I frown at Poptart's vocal disapproval of Jester, and try to change the subject, "I found somewhere to set up. It's looking like the people I found it with will be setting up a holding. You should come with us. It's secluded."
  • To Rossi:

"Secluded?" Poptart repeats. "Is it safe? Who's running the show? Where?" She seems interested, but leery.
  • I hold up a hand to stay her questions, "I'm running security, and Lemma the fixer is running the show. I can't tell you where it is unless you agree to come... Especially not here with all these people around."
  • To Rossi:

Poptart scowls when you sort of shut her out. She gets it, being careful. She's just never been "on the other side of it", has she. "Fine. I'll come. Need to sell some shit first. Should I meet you, or will you be here for a bit?"
  • Poptart is used to living alone, and pointing her gun at intruders, rather than kicking down doors and asking for safe haven — but even she said her apartment wasn't feeling safe anymore, so she's got to come knocking eventually. I nod in agreement to her running errands first. "I'll be over here with Jester. Just come find us, and we'll head out together."
  • edited March 2014
    To Rossi:

Poptart nods, heads on to sell some stuff she probably scrounged from the Scrapers. After a moment, Jester hobbles over, pulling his guitar from around his back. He shows off a cool pick with a design he knows you'd dig. What is it?

He strums the strings, smiles, "What you think?" He notices you looking over towards Poptart, then does a double take. "Is that...?"
  • Can't fault a man who gets a guitar pick with my poison on it... I chuckle to myself and nod in approval of his choice, then follow his gaze over my shoulder and put a finger on his cheek to keep him looking at me, "Yes... She's going to meet up with us later. I'm bringing her home. You OK with that?"

Oh yeah, the pick...
  • To Rossi:

Jester grins, "You bet, Rossi. She's like, you know, your family, in a way. I get that. It's cool. Even if she hates me, I'll wear her down. With my melodious tunes and witty banter. Sometimes it takes a while, but everyone loves me." He puts a hand on his hip, daring you to object.
  • I frown dubiously and kiss his nose, "just take it easy on her, alright? I don't want to spook her off."
  • To Rossi:

Jester puts the pick up for you to kiss it, too. He makes a show of it being "alive" dancing around, asking for a little kiss. Then, "Sure. I know she's... sensitive. Hey! Maybe she should hook up with Squirrel! They'd be great together! They've both lonely. And ollld. And lonely. What do ya think?"
  • An enthusiastic, "No!" is my answer to that — with an air of finality to it. "Look... Points for originality, but Poptart does not need a man in her life. Ok? She needs people in her life. People she can trust."
  • To Rossi:

Jester just chuckles, "Men are people, too." He dances back, out of your reach, holding up his hands, "Just kidding, no mas! No mas!" He stumbles a bit on the bad foot, but recovers. "I'm ready to go. You?"

Taking Poptart the long walk back to the sub, or setting up something later?
  • edited March 2014
    Psh... Men are more an extension of their dicks than anything else, from what I've seen. "Yeah. Let's just wait for Poptart. I don't want to come back for her if we can get away with it..." I hate the Underlake market... Too many people, and word has it that asshole at the end stall keeps talking shit about my sister...
  • To Rossi:

You wait around a few more minutes. Poptart is frustrated with the trade she's offered for the stuff she scavenged, but eventually she gives in. She's awful at haggling. Bloody awful. But you know an offer of help would piss her off.

She comes over to you with some cans of food and a surly look. "Fucken crooks."

Jester holds his tongue.

What do you do?
  • I smirk and shake my head, "Underlakers are fucking weird... Come on." I throw my bag over my shoulder and guide her back down the tunnels. "You need to get anything from the old apartment?"
  • To Rossi:

Poptart answers like the question was a joke, "Nope. All on my back, like I taught you. It can be a bolthole later, but nothin I'd cry over."

Jester's being good, not making a crack about what exactly Poptart would cry over, but you can imagine him making that joke. He un-slings the guitar and starts playing a little tune as you three walk to the Underlake Mines. It's a jaunty little ditty, one that you ended up helping him finish. What is it?
  • I nod sagely to Poptart's preparedness... I imagined that would be the case, but it's always good to ask with Poptart, just in case. I'm really glad Jester's being good... Enough so that I even slip an arm around his waist as we walk.

As for singing, Jester started this song called Woodpile. Singing it is a lot of fun, because it's got a lot of energy to it. I make him sing it to me when I do my morning exercises.
  • To Rossi:

You get through a couple versions of the song as you leave Market and head north through the tunnels. But soon the sounds of Squirrel's big boom box overpower Jester's guitar, and he's not in the mood to have a battle of the bands with a mechanical device with a volume meter.

This is what's booming through the mines:

Are you skipping past Squirrel to hit the site? What has Poptart said about Squirrel before? Does she even know the guy?
  • Poptart doesn't talk about people very often unless they're important to her in some way — think "worthless, abusive father of my dead daughter" or "reminds me of my dead daughter" — as far as I'm aware, Squirrel hasn't made the cut of people worth talking about yet... So if she does know him, it would be news to me.

I'm content to keep walking. After the mess that fucker put Silica in, it's probably best I don't see him.
  • To Rossi:

Well, Poptart takes note of the music, but doesn't say anything. If you aren't looking for him, he's easy enough to avoid.

I'm curious. With the group continuing to "visit the shrine" for these lost 42. How are you guys planning on keeping this secret?

Or more specifically, what are you doing?
  • The way I see it, anyone who's visiting the shrine to the 42 would probably be really interested to find out there's a sub buried under there that Merrell stripped out. At the moment, we aren't doing anything, just pretending we're pilgrims to the shrine ourselves — talking to the visitors, seeing if they're trustworthy, then trying to convince them we're on their side, and patiently waiting for an opportunity to slip in without notice.
  • To Rossi:

There aren't any visitors today. You're able to slip down to the long, gradual chute to the sub without incident. It's a long trek, will take a half hour. Jester hums the whole way. Well, he started whistling, but Poptart complained.

After spending too long in that cramped space, it finally comes out to the cavern with the sub. Arbor is there, he's set up a small tent and a little fire on a metal surface. He's sitting in a canvas chair beside CTO. They look up when you come in.
  • edited March 2014
    I climb down from the chute, and slowly make my way over to CTO and Arbor. "Anything out of the ordinary happen since we left?"
  • To Rossi:

Arbor's eyes has turned blue, he's still on the ice. He hops up from his seat and strides over to you, not aggressively. "I understand you're part of this resistance, Rossi? CTO's been filling me in on this. Nothing's happened here so far."

Poptart moves past you, looking up at the sub. "It's a Russian submarine. Nuclear."
  • I'm about to answer Arbor's question when Poptart starts spouting off information about the Russian sub, "How the heck did you know that, Poptart?"
  • To Rossi:

Poptart is still moving forward, towards the metal monstrosity, "Time-Life series. Nuclear subs." She looks over at you, her eyes wide. "Can I? Can I go in?"
  • I have never seen Poptart this way... This is right fucked up, but awesome in a way. I nod, "that's where we're staying. Try not to fall in love with a particular room — we're still in the process of sorting it all out." I turn over to Jester, "could you keep an eye on her? I want to talk to these guys about getting more guards."
  • To Rossi:

Poptart glances back at Jester, and her eyes narrow again, like she remembered herself. "Sure. No claims. Fine." She's all gruff again. But damn is she moving quick to climb up that ladder.

Jester winks, "Close quarters with mean grannie?" he whispers, "You owe me so big tonight... I cannot wait for you to pay up, Rossi." He chuckles as he follows Poptart into the sub.

Arbor is standing nearby. CTO is hanging out by the little fire, cooking something.
  • I shake my head and smile at Jester as he goes to climb the sub, and turn back to Arbor and CTO, "I want to put together a gang. If you've got any friends who are decent with a club, or a gun, tell them to meet us here at the shrine. I want loyal people. People who don't mind telling Merrell and his assholes to fuck off if they start snooping around. I want our claim on this place undisputed."
  • To Rossi:

Arbor gives you a look, which according to his size, is looking down on you. But he isn't really looking down on you. "I'll put the word out. Merr's throwin jingle all around, but there are folk who work for better reasons, you know?" He pauses, a bit of sorrow in his voice, "Only problem is, chances are, nobody under the lake will work with me. I'm dead to them. You know?"
  • I look up at Arbor with a stoic gaze, and shrug, "I'm gathering you slept with Tindy then, and their ire is well placed?" I shake my head, "no offense, but if Underlakers can't see reason, then we don't need 'em here... We can let Hadden do the talking to get them back on your side. For now, we've got to protect the people who need protecting."
  • To Rossi:

Arbor sets his jaw. He's not going to speak to the Tindy thing, it seems. But he answers. "Alright, we protect our folks. Hadden can talk with those from Under the Lake. I know some people up top. When we have enough here to watch out, I'll go put out the word. This place could be incredible, a real... home for some."

Anything else, Rossi?
  • Nope. Not my fucking business if Arbor fucked Tindy... I'd rather not know the truth, to be honest. I nod to Arbor, "I'll go out with Wandering later and get some more people, then you can take your turn topside. Just let me know if you need a break or something... I'll take a shift."
  • To Rossi:

"Alright." Arbor says. He pauses for a second, then asks, "You know the person who... saved my ass? It was pretty damn fuzzy then, I was half dead."
  • "You're talking to her," I offer, without a hint of narcissism. I shift on my feet, and eye the sub, "but I don't want to make a thing of it... Hadden asked me to do it."
  • To Rossi:

Arbor nods, like yeah, I hear you. "I'll tell Hadden thanks later, but you did the saving, Rossi. I owe you." He offers a hand.
  • I hesitate a second, still uneasy about shaking hands like that without the mask on, but I do take his hand and shake it. "No offense, but I hope you never have to pay me back..." I could do without getting strapped naked to a post outside in the dead of night, thanks. I also don't like the idea of relying on someone to remember they owe me... Most people never get past "every man for himself" when shit hits the fan. I let go of his hand, and tighten up my ponytail, "but I'll be around to collect for a while yet if this place gets going."
  • To Rossi:

"Yeah, here's hoping you never need me to pay you back. We should drink to that sometime." Arbor agrees.

--END SCENE--