[Snowpocalypse] Don't Forget the Milk (L 4.1, R 4.1, R 4.3)

edited April 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Lemma and Rossi:

It's been a couple weeks since Lemma showed the sub to the group. You've all been careful, slowly building up some security, moving supplies down when you can, which has meant lots of late night work, working in two or three person teams. The place is coming along, but you know it's a matter of time before the Underlakers come knocking.

Rossi, I'm curious how much of your gang has gathered up now. Do you consider Poptart a member of your "security force" or whatever?

Let's see you roll Hard. On a 10+, you've gathered together 14 violent bastards of your own, plus Arbor, of course. On a 7-9, you can choose to have taken over one of the gangs around town or you can keep looking.
* Skegs, (2-harm gang small, decadent 1-armor) Vulnerable: breakdown
* Soulja Boys, (3-harm gang small savage 2-armor) Vulnerable: obligation
* Amp Heads (build as normal gang), Vulnerable: desertion
* Stink Bug's, (2-harm gang small 1-armor, +rich) Vulnerable: grounded
On a miss, build your gang as normal (you did pay for it), but add this from the Hocus playbook: Your followers rely entirely on you for their lives and needs. Want: +desperation.

The two of you are up top now. At the Dump. While the power is on at the sub, the air filtration system is shot. Shedd didn't have anything to help, nothing at the markets, nor at your shop, Lemma. But you know there's a good chance the Dump has what you need. Jester went ahead, he swore he knew a guy who knew a guy, that he could work this out. He hasn't come back. It's been a day, that's not like him.

How did you get here? Is Marmot along? What about your gang, Rossi, are they here?

As you approach, a group of Dumpies come up, a few others appear on top of junk piles, looking down with their makeshift rifles and bows and shit. Guess who's with them? Why, it's Butter.

What do you do?

Comments

• OOC: Let's get that roll out of the way. roll+hard.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 2. Total: 10)
  • I'm curious as to why you think I'd take an elderly woman who hates people on in a gang. Not that I could say no to her, though... I guess, in a way, I couldn't keep her from keeping her own little corner of the sub safe, so she really is part of the gang. She's not here now though.

I did a little bit of recruiting with Arbor and Wandering up top, and we've managed to pull in a good group of people. Arbor's actually got a good 15 extra people to come along for the ride, some of which were poached from the Soulja Boys and Stink Bug's gang. Others were just folks tired of getting pushed around. We've also managed to outfit them all with some decent protection from a sports goods store from inside Stink Bug's territory... Which Stink Bug made perfectly clear was a "gift" — one he's likely to try and collect on in the not too distant future, I'd imagine.

I brought the whole gang along with me, since there's nobody to protect back at the sub, largely because if someone's decided Jester's a bargaining chit, I want them to think long and hard about what that would mean for their long term safety. I look to Lemma when the Dumpies pop up with their makeshift weapons. This had better be some sort of joke...

OOC: For the uninitiated, here's my gang — (2-harm gang, medium, 2-armor, vulnerable: obligation)
  • I definitely want Marmot with me. She and I are okay with skiing out to Dump, but if Rossi's gang has wheels we'd have grabbed a ride.

This is... weird. I mean, the Dumpies are usually weird, but we had a working relationship. This is more of them than I've ever seen in one place, and more openly hostile.

I flick my eyes to Marmot, see if she's got a better read than I do, but it's clear it's my job to do the talking.

I walk out to the front of the group, slow and careful, and pitch my voice to be heard. "Just doing some shopping, folks. Same as usual, if it's something you value, I'll make sure you're properly compensated. Just want to look around a bit."
  • edited March 2014
    To Both:

Butter says harshly, "No fucking deal! You owe me for that Sky Mote, Lemma. You don't get shit until we're square."

Rossi, Invert sidles up to you, asks under her breath, "We gonna tussle? Dumpies never forget a fight, Rossi."
  • l shake my head, keeping an eye on the Dumpies, "if they throw down first, we'll have no choice. Let's try and keep things civil until then... Let them make the first move." I make my way over to Lemma, and whisper, "this going to be a problem, Lemma?"
  • I'm sure Rossi and the gang are getting itchy, but I'd really like to keep this from blowing up. I'm still trying to keep things calm, hands spread, hoping she can read my intentions.

"Sky Mote's yours, always has been, Butter. I'm down to the really dangerous bits now, but I stand by my deal. You want it back, you take it back. What do you figure I owe you?"

I keep my eyes on Butter, watching.
  • Reading Butter:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 5)
    +1 XP
  • To Both:

Butter, who is standing just in front of a couple Dumpies with shotguns, says, "Deal's the same, because the Sky Mote is useless to me without you. I'm adjusting the timetable. You're coming here, and you'll work on that fucking thing until it unlocks all its fucking secrets, and then, you can go about your whatever the fuck else you're doing."

She looks past you, Lemma, at Rossi and the gang, "Send your bully boys away. I don't want a fight, but I'll damn sure fuck all y'all up if it comes to it. You're on our turf."

She grins when she adds, "And we got your songman, too. He goes when Lemma is done."
  • Hell. No.

"To fucking hell he does!" I bark back, "you so much as touch that man, and you won't live to regret it, you hear me?"
  • I let out a sigh that's really more like a hiss, between clenched teeth.

"Okay. I can move the Sky Mote up to first priority. I want you feeling like you're treated fair, Butter. But I've got to insist on a few changes."

"First, I work in my workshop-- I need the power, tools, everything. If you want me to work out here, you're going to have to move all that stuff, too, which will just add time. You and however many of your... friends... can come keep watch, if that's what it takes."

"Two, Jester comes back with us, right now. That's not how I do business. If I can't trust you, we'll never get anything done. Plus, you're making it hard for Ross to think about this rationally, and I don't think you want that."

"Three, you throw in the filters I'm here for, payment for the accelerated timetable. Some of these people..." I look over the goons like I'm not threatened, like we're just bartering. "can do the looking, bring them to my shop."
  • Well heck, Lemma. That's a fair Manipulate. Let's see dice.
  • Manipulate:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 3. Total: 8)
  • To Both:

So Lemma, Butter pauses, listening to you rattle off your changes. She glares at Rossi when you mention Jester, then back to you, Lemma. "We'll come back with you to babysit you, keep you focused, Lemma. Since you're shit on your word to me." She pauses, let's that sink in. "I'll keep Jester with you, at your shop, as insurance that your good friend here doesn't try to fuck us over. For that, we'll get your filters after the job is done, as payment for your expedited-actually-doing-the-fucking-thing-you-promised-work."

You realize she's talking a bit of shit here, Lemma. But she's throwing it up with her Dumpie friends at her back, so challenging her on how things went down originally will probably no go well.

Rossi, looks like she wants to use Jester as leverage, but he'd be with Lemma.

What do you do?
  • I look to Lemma, absolutely seething at this bullshit offer the Dumpies think they can hold over us — but my mask hides it well. "We could double-time it back to your shop, and teach them a lesson... I really don't like that they're playing you like this. Every asshole and his uncle is going to hold something over us — we can't cave every time."
  • It grates, but I can live with it. I've been meaning to figure out the Sky Mote for a while.

"I know it sucks, but we can only burn this bridge once, and I need the Dump. I'll consider it payment for the filters."

"Maybe you want to assign a few guys to guard duty at my place, though. I'd rather these creeps weren't the only ones around with guns if they decide to renegotiate anything."
  • I bite the inside of my mouth for a minute, trying to calm myself down, then answer, "I can give you a few guys... You sure you don't want to just take the dump then? How many guys could they possibly have?"
  • I have to laugh a little.

"Let's stick to conquering one hoard of ancient treasures at a time, yeah? We'll have enough fronts to defend without opening a new one on purpose. But if I can keep peace with the Dump, get the part we need, and get your friend back safe for the cost of doing work I was going to do anyway... We'll call that Plan A."

I sniff.

"Mind you, one more stunt like this and an invasion will start to sound better. Let's call that Plan, um, C? Maybe D?"
  • Friend is entirely the wrong word here. I would gladly put a bullet in Butter's face, if it got me Jester back right now... I need to be calm though. I can't go on a fucking killing spree just because Jester's in their hands. He wouldn't want that.

I look to Lemma, "It's my plan B — but we'll give you the chance to make it right. I want to see him at your shop before we do anything else."
  • I nod to Rossi.

"Probably the wise move."

And louder, to the group.

"Well, then, we have a deal. Let's get going-- and I suggest you pack some food, 'cause I'm not sharing my chicken and dumplings with all of you."
  • To Both:

Butter doesn't laugh. The big guy behind her left shoulder, named Nuclear, he chuckles. "Give us your list for the filters you need. Nuke, go get the songman." Nuclear nods, but you can see he likes chicken and dumplings.

The Dumpies start coming down, a few talking with Butter about who stays at Lemma's shop, a few eyeing you, Rossi, and your gang.

Marmot excuses herself, and heads up to talk to the Dumpies. She's been quiet during this, but she's more than a little pissed. Of course, she's not going to say what big thing has kept you away from the Sky Mote, Lemma, which hurts her bargaining position.

After a few minutes, you see Jester come hobbling up. He looks fine, he's chatting with Nuke, "So then you just slide the knife up the side towards the head, and let the guts fall out, which is super gross. I usually scrape off most of the scales before I fry it. Now de-boning, that's a totally different thing." He looks over to see you and your heavies, including Arbor and Invert. Waves. "Hi. Sorry I got caught... Ross."

Butter moves out of her crowd, "Alright, let's get a move on. We're following you back. Some folks are looking for the filters, and Jester can walk with you guys, so you know he's safe and sound." Looks like the Dumpies have some skis and some snowshoes, too.

What do you do?
  • I'm trying to stay silent as Jester comes hobbling up, like it's no big deal that they held him hostage as a fucking bargaining chip. How does this not fucking bother him? Wouldn't it bother him if someone treated me like a piece of meat? I narrow my eyes at him as he "apologizes" for getting caught — not that he can see that.

"C'mon," I mumble, tersely, "the sooner we're done this fucking job, the better."
  • To Ross:

Jester comes up near you, but he doesn't hug, respecting your... whatever with this group. They know you as Ross, right? He says, "Sorry about this."
  • I shake my head and keep myself focused on the path ahead, but address Jester in a low whisper. For now people know me as Ross — I don't want to just out myself as Rossi to everyone. "If those fuckers so much as lay a finger on you or Lemma, I swear to fuck I'm going to bury them in their frozen junkpile so deep it'll take a fucking bomb to dig them out. We're barely a week into this fucking job, and she's bending over backwards for these people." I look over to him, "you OK?"
  • To Ross:

"A little embarrassed, since you came to my rescue, again." Jester admits, still keeping his distance as you two walk, most of your gang trailing behind you, Invert and a couple others walking up ahead. "I guess I'm just your dude in distress." He grins, looks over at you, "What do I owe ya?"
  • A week climbing scrapers with me? Self-defense classes with Poptart? Sex every night for a week? Hmm... "Just don't be too pissed if you get yelled at by your girlfriend later — but it's not your fault these assholes have a chubby for Lemma's services. Just gotta be smarter about sending our people out to potential enemies..." I look over at Lemma, wishing I'd have known they had a beef with her before letting Jester traipse off to secure a deal alone.

I turn my eyes back to the road and mumble, "what's another place we can never step foot in?"
  • To Ross:

"I've never had trouble with the Dumpies before, I swear." Jester says quiet, so Lemma can't hear.

To Lemma:

As Ross and the gang head on, Butter and a few of hers walk behind them. Marmot comes back to you, moving with you. "This is bullshit, Lemma! Butter traded in favors from her whole family for this. She's turned over all that she has on this Sky Mote thing. She's betting her life on this."
  • I appreciate the outrage on my behalf, but I know her hands are tied. Plus, this is bad news.

"Shit. What's she hoping to get out of this? I figured we were all satisfying some curiosity about something old and complicated. She must think there's more to it than that. What happens if I finish the job and she's not happy with what we find?"
  • To Ross:

Jester chuckles when you say "these assholes have a chubby for Lemma's services", but he doesn't repeat it, or add to it. You know that was difficult for him.

After a bit, he answers you, "Well, this didn't end with wholesale slaughter, so we can manage." He gently elbows you, "Good job, by the way."

To Lemma:

Marmot huffs a frustrated sigh, "If that Sky Mote comes up blank, she's got nothing left, Lemma. She'll be ruined. Her whole family, ruined. And three of them are in that band walking behind us. This is dangerous."

Behind you walks Butter, that big lug Nuke, Lipslide, a Dumpie woman who looks like maybe she used to be a boy, and Shifty, a guy carrying a wicked looking SMG.
  • I eye the group behind us. Ugh.

"Do you know what kind of thing would make her happy? Would be good to know in advance if I'm finding it or not. I obviously can't tell what she really wants, which is what got us in this mess in the first place."

I trudge on, thinking. They're going to be around my place for a while. If I'm careful, I might be able to make sure they aren't as ready for a fight as they think they are.
  • I look to Jester and smile, even though he can't see me grinning. "Well," I whisper, "your girlfriend didn't want to get yelled at either." I would have, though... "Let's just hope the Dumpies don't do anything stupid."
  • To Ross:

Jester straightens up, like he's all the sudden dignified, "I'll have you know, I do not yell at my wonderful, intelligent and charming girlfriend... I sometimes scold her, and often spank her, but never yell." He grins.

"The Dumpies are pretty insular, Ross. They are used to outsiders like the Soulja Boys and the Skegs." Jester muses. "They're not so different from the Underlakers. The mag ones, not Merr."

To Lemma:

Marmot shrugs, "Words from the lips of God. The truth of the end of the world. A solution to bring back the heat.... you know, simple shit."
  • I shrug back. "Well, there's always a chance."

"In the meantime, if you spot Shifty not paying attention to that gun of his for a few minutes, give me a signal."

There are a few ways to break a gun so it isn't immediately obvious that it's broken. Some are even fast, or quiet, given a little prep time. Then, if things go south, Rossi's gang might be able to handle things from there.
  • To Lemma:

Marmot nods. "You bet." She waits a moment, then asks, "How long do you think this work will take?"
  • I shrug indifferently, "taking hostages over air filters is fucking bullshit, Jester. What were they going to do to you if we didn't deal? Or couldn't deal?"
  • To Ross:

Jester looks over at you, doesn't respond right away. After a few steps, he nods, "Point." He chews on the inside of his cheek for a moment, considering if he she say something else, then adds, "Sometimes, if you treat someone like a dog long enough, they start to believe it, you know? It can be real tough to bring them back." He looks over at you, catches your eye, "But it's worth it."
  • "Hmmm," is all I manage to say in response to that... I look over at Jester and give him a playful punch on the arm. "I'm still not going to wear that dress you found..." Not in public, anyway.
  • From Lemma:

"At least a few days. I've done all the easy parts, so now's when it gets tricky."

I smile a little.

"But I don't think there's much chance they'll accuse me dawdling. Some of what's coming is going to look pretty impressive. So, we'll have to come to some basic living arrangements, and they won't be able to stay on full alert the whole time."

Something occurs to me.

"Listen-- I'm trying to look out for myself, here, but... if this gets bad, will that cause problems for you?"
  • To Ross:

Jester skips a step and chuckles once, "I would never force my girlfriend to wear a pretty dress. She's far to badass to look that adorable anyways."

He turns to bat his eyes prettily, "But maybe, just maybe, I can ask her pretty please just for me?"

You realize that Jester's antics are getting looks from a few of the folks walking with you. Sure, he's a goof, but the two of you are looking pretty familiar.

To Lemma:

Marmot is walking alongside you, looking back at Butter. There's no love lost between them now, it seems, "We can lull them to sleep, put out their eye and tell them Noman did it."

You ask her about how things will affect her. She answers, "Lemma, the Dumpies are my family and my past. But the shit we're doing, it's my future. I don't want to choose one over the other, but if I have to, I'm heading for the future."
  • From Lemma:

I nod gravely at Marmot.

Then I let the flow of traffic carry me closer to Ross. Is Jester flirting? Well, their business, I guess.

Pitched low, I try to relay some information briefly. Talking to the muscle is probably more suspicious than talking to Marmot.

"Look, Marmot thinks there's a chance this could still get ugly if they're not satisfied with what I find in the Sky Mote. But it's going to be a few days before we know-- a few days of them and us all piled up in my shop."

"I'm going to set some things up to swing things our way if it gets heated. Just... any of your people at my place, stay ready."
  • edited April 2014
    Damn it... I look back over my shoulder and spot the gang giving Jester and I funny looks. I turn back to Jester, and sigh, "C'mon... I've gotta keep up appearances for these guys." ... But in the interest of sweetening the pot, "maybe once we get back I'll try it on... In private." I stick an instructive finger in his face, "if you're good. Now leave me work."

I straighten up when Lemma comes my way, and listen to her plans. When she tells us to stay ready, I almost laugh — but really I guess I appreciate the warning. "Sure. Did you want me to send some people down to the boat? Or just keep everyone at your shop?"
  • edited April 2014
    Jester hangs back, ends up chatting with Nuke, later with Arbor, too. He hums a tune, plays his harmonica, and stays away for a while.

Let's skip to Lemma's shop.

Lemma, you've got five visitors from the Dumpies now. How many of Ross's gang do you want to stick around? How are you putting these guys away?

Ross, I assume you're heading back to the sub, right? Or are you headed anywhere else?
  • I don't exactly want to leave Jester in the hands of those fucking Dumpies unsupervised. I'm tempted to stay behind and watch them to make sure they don't get any ideas while Lemma's doing her work — but I don't know if I'd be able to keep a level head with these fuckers around.

Maybe I'll just stay nearby. Climb a few scrapers, and check in on them from time to time.
  • To Ross:

How many of your gang will be sticking around Lemma's then? Are you heading out to where you and Poptart stayed?
  • I'll leave a small gang with her. Tell them to watch her and not take any shit from the Dumpies.
  • edited April 2014
    The Dumpies are in the garage. I'm not feeling any need to be particularly hospitable. Actually, pretty much everyone has to be in the garage. My basement is just big enough for me and Marmot, and there's only so much space in the workshop proper. Maybe two or three of Ross's gang can take turns sleeping inside.

(The garage isn't freezing or anything. It's just big and has big doors so it doesn't stay very warm.)

I meant what I said about food, too. They're fending for themselves.

On the other hand, while I'm planning to be as neglectful as possible when it comes to their accommodations, I think it's probably wise to look as busy as possible on the Sky Mote.

So, I dive right into what's left of the disassembly, as flashy as I can make it. If there's something I can do with a hydraulic lift or an acetylene torch, that's how I'm doing it. It's too bad this job is mostly taking things apart, or I'd be firing up the articulated robotic welding arm.

That gives me something not-that-complicated to do while other wheels are spinning.

OOC: Two workshop projects. One: How can I safely deal with the Sky Mote's radiation? Two: How can I sabotage Shifty's gun?
  • To Rossi:

Please go here.
  • edited April 2014
    To Lemma:

Ross left behind Wandering, Invert and a couple others. They swap off sleeping inside and the garage. The Dumpies take the garage without complaint. They're pretty resourceful, brought a hot pot and supplies for hunkering down for a while.

Butter is the one calling the shots, but Nuke is her heavy. He also seems to work out the sleeping arrangements with Ross's gang, so he must be the negotiator. Of course, you weren't privy to how he negotiates.

Lipslide and one of Ross's guys handle runs for supplies. Maybe they don't trust each other enough to send one, maybe Lip and this other guy know each other? Not your problem, right?

Now, as for your new projects...

One: How can I safely deal with the Sky Mote's radiation?
    Well, as you expect, it’s going to take days of work to get the proper shielding set up, and you'll need lead and unfrozen wood. Packed soil is a possible substitute, but that results in a crap version, and very unreliable.
    You know that with these idiots snooping over your shoulder that you will be exposing them to serious danger.
    Unless you can scrap most of the sub's protections and move it here. Why, that would do nicely.

Two: How can I sabotage Shifty's gun
    - Shifty, a guy carrying a wicked looking SMG
    Well, you're going to need Invert to help you with distracting him. He seems to fancy her, at least he does more than anyone else here. Then, you'll need to figure out where they can go, ah, "be alone" or whatever. Then, you should be able to mess with Shifty's gun.
  • All right. Well, the Dumpies want this done in a rush, they can help me gather the material. The Dump's probably where I'd go for that stuff, anyway. I call Butter in and lay out the requirements.

"So, I figure there's stuff like that at the Dump. Maybe you even have an idea where. Can you get it?"

I'll look for a chance to talk to Invert, maybe next time she takes a shift sleeping inside.
  • To Lemma:

When you ask her to fetch stuff from the dump, Butter gives you an irritated look, "How do I know this isn't some more BS to buy you time or whatever? And why are you only asking for this now"
  • "Why would I stall? The faster I finish, the faster you leave me alone, right? And I'm asking for it now because now's when I knew I needed it. There's no fucking instruction manuals for disassembling mysterious ancient artifacts that can cook you from the inside out. Also, you might remember this, my timetable's a little accelerated, so there might be some logistical hiccups."

"Tell you what, you think I'm making this up, I'll show you what parts to take off and you can do it without any shielding. I'll come back later and scrape your gooey, glowing corpse off my floor. I've got all the materials I need for that."

I sigh. I probably can't logic her out of it, can I?

"Look, Butter, this is a real project. It's hard, and it takes time, and it takes stuff I don't just have lying around. That's the truth. If you didn't have a gun to my head, I'd have gone to get this stuff myself pretty soon, but this is how you decided you wanted to do things. So. How are we going to get me what I need?"
  • Lemma, that's a good bit of leverage. Let's see a Manipulate to convince her to get you supplies.
  • Manipulate:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 3, 3. Total: 7)
  • Butter glares at you for a bit, Lemma, like she doesn't want to trust you, but the argument is valid. Or at least, she knows enough to know she can't argue it without seeming like a fool. Finally, she breaks off, pushing her visor up rubbing at her eyes. "Fine. Send one of Ross's guys with a list. I'll send a mark with them. If they aren't stupid, then they'll bring back your stuff. In the meantime, you work around it. Yeah?"
  • "It's a deal."

So, maybe it would have been nice to thin the Dumpies out as a side effect. This will work, though. And Ross's guy will be back before things go sour.

Back to work, then.
  • Hey Lemma, you also wanted to talk to Invert, right?

Let's skip to that. She takes a shift inside the first night. How are you approaching this?
  • So she's bedding down, and I come over and drop into a squat, hands on my knees, voice pitched low.

"Listen-- everyone here is hoping that this ends peacefully, right, but I think there's a solid chance we find ourselves in fight before it's over. And, in that situation, I think it would be handy for all of us if, say, the firing pin on Shifty's smig cracked when he pulls first squeezed his trigger."

"I can make that happen, but I need a few minutes where he's distracted. And... well, from what I've seen you'd have a pretty easy time distracting him if you felt like it."

"So... are you maybe feeling like being distracting?"
  • Invert is sitting there, propped up on one thin arm, squinting while she looks at you. She makes a face like she's doing math, then says low, "Not gonna fuck him. Distracting, I can do that. Got any beers? I could distract the hell out of him."
  • I nod. "Yeah, no need to take it that far. Just need a couple minutes. I'll donate some beer."

I'm down to my last couple bottles, but it's worth it.

"Privacy's a little hard to come by, but I'm thinking of working late tonight, which would leave my room in the basement empty-- You'd just have to sneak past me. I expect to be very involved in my work."
  • Invert huffs a laugh, shaking her head, "You're a planner. Remind me not to eff with you." She climbs out of her sleeping bag and sits up, holding out a hand to shake on it. "Beers and distracting sounds good. Come back down and "discover us" after, I dunno, fifteen minutes or so. Cool?"
  • "Cool. You're going the extra mile here, and I appreciate it. Fifteen minutes."
  • Let's skip ahead then. I really want to see how you all pull this off.

Invert chats up Shifty. You can hear her laughter, which is sort of delightful and genuine, echo from the garage. A few minutes, then you hear the door creak slightly, the door into the shop itself.

It's game time.

For the plan, I'd like to see you Act Under Fire here. Let's see some dice.
  • AUF:

(Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 1. Total: 9)
  • Alright, you feign ignorance as Invert and Shifty "slip past you", and down to the basement with a few of your last beers.

You move into the garage, among the sleeping members of both gangs. With Shifty and Invert the only ones on watch, they're pretty well effed. But still, best to be quiet and careful. You head right over to Shifty's sleeping area, the gun isn't there. Then where you saw him chatting earlier, not there either. He didn't take it with him.

Here's the deal, Lemma. You can spend some extra time searching, but then you're leaving Invert with Shifty for a while. Or, you can call it off and try again later.
  • edited April 2014
    Sorry, Invert. The opportunity's too good to waste. I'll have to let her fend for herself for a few minutes.
  • Lemma, you finally find the assault rifle, looks like this:

Nuke was sleeping mostly on it. After trying to work it out from under him, you finally end up cracking the firing pin with his arm laying over the damn thing.

You're just creeping back to "discover" Invert with Shifty when you hear a man's painful yelp, then the sound of someone getting smacked, followed by "You fucking BITCH! You cut me!"

It's loud enough to start these guys - Ross's gang and Butter's folks waking up. You can stick around or move quick to avoid being seen, but something is going down.

What do you do?
  • I'm moving. I have the advantage of knowing where the problem is, so I'll head there. Toss open the hatch to the basement, make a lot of noise coming down the ladder.
  • Alright, Lemma, you get down to the basement and you see Shifty and Invert there, facing off. Shifty has a long screwdriver in his hand and the side of his face is bleeding from a three inch long cut, lots of blood. The screwdriver is yours, just a tool you had down here while working on something or other.

Invert has a little shiv in her right hand, some thin piece of metal she must keep on herself hidden at all times. Her t-shirt is torn open and it looks like the left side of her face was hit pretty hard, it's red, some blood at the corner and swelling slightly. Invert says, "Fuck you, trash."

Shifty spits back, off-hand touching his wound lightly, "Fuck me? I'll fucking kill you, skinny bitch. You were a pity fuck."

Folks are getting up fast behind you, coming your way.

What do you do?
  • I step into his eyeline, but not between them. Invert might need her line of attack clear.

"Looks to me like she's done with you, Shifty. Put down my tool and get out of my house."

I flick my eyes over to Invert, just briefly. As much of an apology as I can manage right now.

This could get bad, split things right down already tense lines. I need a plan.
  • Read the sitch:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 6. Total: 8)
  • What should I be on the lookout for?

+1 XP
  • Shifty looks over at you, Lemma. "Fuck you, Lemma. This is our fucking house right now. It's yours when we say it is yours. You fucked my family and now you're paying dues." He looks at Invert, "And you brought ME down here, bitch. I was just following your fucking LEAD! Then you cut me? Fuck no, that won't do." He's backing up towards the ladder, like he's going to get out of this space.

Lemma, you can read Invert. She's not out to kill this guy, but she's backed into a corner and highly fucking pissed.

What do you do?

You hear the commotion up top? Ross' gang and these Dumpies are about to go toe to toe. Marmot and Jester are right in the middle. You know Marmot is smart enough to GTFO, but Jester...
  • Well, if he's backing out, let him. I'll follow him up, acting like a buffer. I need to get up there before things really explode.
  • Invert sees you playing like some barrier, and she isn't stupid. She's got a job to do, and it just got real hard now, hunh?

Up top as you follow Shifty moving up, you hear Jester saying, "C'mon everybody, just a little discussion down there, no guns. Put down the guns, seriously, guys. Nobody wants to get their head blown off, okay?"

You get up top in time to see that Nuke and Butter have pistols out. You know one of Ross's gang is on a food run, the other is a older guy with a pistol, standing behind Wandering. Wandering has his shotty, which is pointed at the ground. Nobody has guns in faces yet.

Marmot isn't around, she might be outside, or hiding. Lipslide is standing behind Jester, pulling out a pig-sticker. He doesn't see her.

That's when the door is kicked open.
  • Ross:

You kick down Lemma's door when you hear shouting inside. That mannish woman Lipslide is drawing a knife on Jester, looks like. Your gang is standing off with the Dumpies, it's about to turn into a bloodbath.

What do you do?
  • A gust of cold wind follows me into the workshop, and cold red snow is sticking to my dried blood in patches. I probably look like hell right now. Seeing Lipslide with a fucking knife to Jester's back sets me right the fuck off though... I'm seeing red again. My shotgun is out and pointed at Lipslide, and I spit angry words out through my gritted teeth.

"Put the fucking knife down. Now."
  • To Ross:

Let's see you Go Aggro here.
  • OOC: Going Aggro on Lipslide. roll+hard.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 3, 1. Total: 7)
  • To Both:

Lipslide backs off, leaving the knife in her belt, hands up where you can see them, Ross.

Wandering looks over at you, Ross. "Yo, shit goin down."

Shifty's yelling, looking at Butter. "That skinny bitch cut me!"

Butter, who is there in a t-shirt and boxers, yells, "What? Then we cut her ass back. Even stevens."

What do you do?
  • edited April 2014
    "Nobody is touching anyone," I growl at Butter, "or I'm going to trash that piece of shit tin can you're forcing Lemma to work on, you hear? I don't give a flying fuck what you think is 'Even Stevens' – nobody's cutting on anybody."
  • "Looks to me like there was a spirited discussion between two people who can take care of themselves. We'll patch everyone up and everyone goes back to bed, and keeps their hands to themsleves, yeah?"
  • To Both:

Butter looks at you, Lemma, then you, Ross. "This was a fucking SET-UP from the GET GO!" She points to Wandering, Invert and the others, looking at you, Lemma, "Lemma, get this fucking gang out of here, or we have trouble. My cousin was CUT by this girl here. Shifty, what were you doing to get cut?"

Shifty glares at Invert, answering, "We were fooling around. Then she just up and cut me." He's holding his cheek, which is still bleeding.

Invert says low, bitter, "I did more than up and cut you, little dick. You tried to take what I didn't wanna give, so I gave you what you deserved. Asshole."

Jester pipes up, "Hey! Let's calm down, y'all. This is getting crazy in here. It's an awfully small place for a gunfight, you know?"

It's about to erupt right now. What do you do?
  • edited April 2014
    Urgh. Enough of this shit.

I stalk across the room, my coat still caked with dried blood, straight to the big fucking whatchamacallit Lemma's been working on all fucking day. This bitch wants to throw down with her three fucking pansy bitches? Fine. Kiss your fucking space metal goodbye.

I'm blowing it to shit. She wants to throw down? I'll throw down. On the way there I look to Wandering, "She wants us gone? Grab Jester and Lemma, and we're out of here — I've just got to put a few shotgun shells into this fucking piece of shit she keeps bitching about."
  • Shit, I don't want that either. Might not hurt to have Butter think it will happen, but... I raise one hand at Rossi and one at Butter.

"Waitwaitwait. Look, I see your point, it's too crowded. But you brought the army in first, and you can't expect Ross to leave the hostage here with no one to make sure you play fair."

"So, how about this: Ross pulls the gang out, but takes Jester. Since you're just worried about me, now, maybe you thin your army out, too."

"We can still have a deal, Butter. But if you want the gang out, Jester and I have to feel safer."
  • To Both:

Butter looks at you, Rossi, "If I give you Chatty Cathy over there, and you make good on one of mine getting his fucking face slashed, you and yours GTFO?"
  • I look over and give her a nod. I got this. I think. Better than a bloodbath, anyway.
  • I stop mid-stalk, and watch Lemma melt down. I really don't get what she thinks she can salvage from all this... This isn't how you assert yourself as a dominant power in Chi-town, and bitch back there has been looking for a reason to slit Lemma and Jester's throat since we first laid eyes on her.

None of that means fucking anything though, because Butter starts flapping her jaw like she's running this joint. What's worse, she thinks I'm going to let her "get even" with dickhead over there? My jaw all but drops, "Your fucker over there tries to rape one of mine, and you want me to punish her? Go fuck yourself. You give me Jester, and tell tiny-dick over there to keep his fucking grabby hands to himself, and I'll consider leaving you here alone with Lemma."
  • To Both:

Butter stares at Shifty, that kind of family staredown that really looks awkward in public. In a low voice, clipped words, she asks him, "Did you try to rape this girl?"

Shifty looks, well, shifty, then asserts, "We had some beers, started, you know, makin out, then she snuck be downstairs, and... what the fuck did she think I was supposed to..."

"Wait!" Nuke says hard, cutting right in. "You were on watch, Shifty." He looks at his cousin or whatever. Shifty looks guilty as hell.

Butter huffs an audible, frustrated sigh. "Dumbass!! Get Lip and GTFO. Nuke and I will be staying here till the job's done." She looks at you, Ross. "Well?"

Lemma, you spot Marmot. She somehow slid into one of the metal shelves. Sideways. She had a little pistol out, like she was planning on shooting through the slits. Probably would've deafened her. She's coming out, now that things are mostly over.

What do you do?
  • I lower my shotgun, and look to Lemma, "you trust these people not to fucking kill you?"
  • For now.

Going to make it harder to feel safe come the unveiling. But the last few days have been sitting on a powder keg, and there's a while yet to go.

"We've got a deal, yeah. Maybe swing by in a few days, make sure things are going smooth."
  • I shake my head, "people say I'm crazy... Alright. Your call..." I turn to Wandering and Jester, "let's pack up... We're heading home."
  • Rossi,

Head here.
  • Lemma,

Ross and the gang take off, Jester with them. Just you, Butter, Nuke and Marmot left.

Nuke says, "Can we calm down and sleep, or is everyone going to stay up and stare at each other?" He waits a beat, then says, "Fuckit. I'm going back to sleep. Butter, take watch."

Butter says sharply, "We're sleeping in the shop now, Lemma." She's going to go get her stuff from the garage.

What do you do?
  • Ugh.

Well, I'm mentally rearranging my schedule so that I'm doing something noisy every time Butter or Shifty tries to sleep, to start with.

It's actually not that dangerous for me, day-to-day, just irritating. It's when the project is over that I get worried. When Rossi's guy comes to drop off the shielding, I'll have him pass a message. Maybe she can still have some guys around at the crucial moment. Or maybe Butter will be happy with whatever we find.

Maybe not, though.

Going to need to make a few more preparations if it's me against the whole gang. I can almost certainly fold it into the real work.

I'm to wire one of those flare packs I use to melt ice to a remote trigger and keep that on me. Leave that on a shelf, and in this space, anyone without goggles on is going to have a hard time seeing straight while it's burning.

Loosening the restraint cables on a compressed gas canister, setting another remote trigger to crack the valve, and angling it so I know which way it's going when it blows. Well, I at least know where it's going for the first couple seconds. After that, it's going to get chaotic.

Have the acetylene torch ready for fast ignition.

Oh, and I'm setting up a free power cable, running it through the transformer to get the voltage high. Expose maybe six inches of wire at the end, then keep that wrapped up. It can just lie there, not even turned on, until I need it. When it's got juice, though, it will put a grown man on his ass and keep him from getting up.

So, doing the real work, and looking for opportunities to turn my shop into a death trap without being noticed.

The Dumpies probably won't spot it, but Marmot will. Obviously our conversations are limited, but this is an alternate way to communicate. Get ready. Be smarter than they are.
  • --END SCENE--