[JunkXIII] Top o the Mornin (K 1-4, S 1-4)

edited September 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Stitch and Kiddo,

The sun's rays have only just lit the sky and you're already klicks away from Boomtown. The garage, the clinic, Loots, all becoming dots on the horizon as you travel on the bumpy road. According to Kodak, the roads are clear for a day. It won't be until you get close to Salt before you might chance upon any trouble, most likely.

Most likely.

But hey, let's talk about last night, yeah? The food at Logitech's send-off was frakkin amazing. Fresh grown beans, bread, actual cooked meat, not leftovers in a soup, it was the best meal you've had in Boomtown for sure. VB was there, but red-eyed and quiet. Svenja and Rinso were absent.

Kodak introduced his driving team, which is him and three others. They're a decent enough lot, quiet except for Motel6, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Kiddo, Logitech set up a seat for you by Kodak, told you that you two could chat business that way. Did you sit by him? How did that go for you?

Stitch, did you bring Caesar along? I wasn't sure. How did that go for you, either way?

Let's talk logistics for a moment. Each truck can carry a driver and one passenger comfortably, but you can squeeze in two passengers if you all get along. We'll call them trucks A, B and C. Truck is A is driven by Kodak. He's offered a seat to you, Kiddo, since you're the de facto head of security for the caravan. Do you take it?

Truck B has Union behind the wheel, with the back-up driver Bank riding beside him. You'd have to make a fuss to get those two out of the cab or make them share. They're riding in the middle of the pack because they're the most steady driving team, and they're carrying the most expensive supplies, so Kodak set up a truck between them and danger.

Motel6 is behind the wheel of Truck C. The guy's a real talker. Nobody can clip the string on this Chatty Cathy. Who did you have sit with him?

Let's not forget Cheetos and Rolo are ferrying KellyTires and Topps to Salt. Now, Hump is riding in Truck C, a good view of where you've been. He's asked you, Kiddo, if Topps could ride with him. Kelly leaves it up to you, not minding if she has the extra comfort. He's riding with Rolo, though, in Rolo's lil sidecar. Cheetos, he's way on the other side of Truck B, staying away from Rolo, he's been a bit standoffish this morning, which of course, makes Rolo feel like a shitheel, but that's their damage now, right?

Stitch, where are you sitting?

For reference, the trucks look more or less like this:

Comments

• I'm not in the habit of turning down Logitech's requests, yeah? I sat by Kodak, and kept Vee close by. Poor sweetie... I really had no idea. This is why folks shouldn't be so damn secretive about their shit! Lay it all out on your sleeves, I say! The meal was frakking awesome. I'm a sucker for good food, and I'll even deal with Kodak to have it — I didn't do any drinking though, so most of the time I was either trying to cheer Vee up, or chat business with Kodak. Sometimes both at once.

Still feeling a bit guilty about pissing Hump off I let him and Topps ride together in the truck, under the strict condition he not piss off Motel6, and he keeps his eyes open. You should've seen him last night, man... Cracking jokes, and playing it smooth — I bet that's how Dad hooked Ma'. Me on the other hand? I took the seat with Kodak. The hope is I won't get distracted by his classy looks; but if that fails, I can just picture him all old and shit, looking like his dad.

*Shudder*

Logitech's got a kind heart, but he ain't much of a looker... I mean, maybe that's just the age gap talking, but it gets the job done.

I stuck Rinso in the back of Truck C with Motel6, Hump and Topps — I figure stick the strong, silent type with the other quiet guy in hopes they share a silent bond or something... Whatever. It also means my best gunner's watching over my younger brother. I need him mobile anyway.
  • I did bring Caesar along- if only to let him enjoy someone else's cooking for an evening. Truthfully I still have a hard time making conversation with everyone and it's just easier to talk to him.

I'll ride with whoever- the talkative guy or whoever else.
  • Stitch,

Where is Svenja set up? You noticed that she's a little less bitchy this morning, did you say anything to her?

Also, last night, as the truckers were talking, they mentioned some of the hazards of the road. Which threat bothers you the most?
  • Svenja is up in the front- she wouldn't have it any other way. I noticed her improved mood but would never dare to call her on it- she's got a stick up her ass about me enough, don't need to add to it.

The guys were talking about the tactic some gangs use- they find or fake a helpless person on the side of the road and ambush the convoy if they stop to help. If they don't stop, sometimes the gang will send kids in front of the cars. What kind of world did I wake up on?

• edited September 2013
    Stitch,

You're in Truck C, which is funny to Motel6 because he always called it Sweet Caroline. He tells you, "Ever heard Sweet Caroline, little darlin? I heard it onna old platter, silvery thing, played music, LIVE music, I'm serious. Flash stuff, Loot has one, but she'd never share. But this little kid, a forever kid named lime, she pointed me to one. I had it here until it was stolen a few Junkfalls ago."

"Sweet Caroline
    BUMP BUMP BUMP!
    Something something and it always makes me say..

hrrmmmm, hummmmm, SWEET CAROLINE!
    BUMP BUMP BUMP!"

He bobs his head while singing, barely carrying the tune, and messing up words. Do you know the song? Sing any for him?

"I've been inclined
    To believe that never once
    But now I..."
  • edited September 2013
    Here's a map of who is where:
  • Kiddo,

VB's been quiet all morning. Kodak's made light conversation. You know, weather, road conditions, last night's meal.

Stitch,

Yeah, Svenja moved up on top of the cargo of Truck B pretty damn quick, mostly to avoid Motel6.

Both,

Travel continues until later afternoon. Motel6 and Kodak advise you both that the ridge to the west has seen raiders, so everyone is on alert. With the sun setting in a couple hours, you should be able to get far enough past the ridge that you can pull off and camp for the night.

However, Truck B starts smoking something fierce, and Union pulls it over. After a couple tense minutes of looking it over, you both overhear Bank telling Kodak that they burned out a belt.

Kodak brings everyone together, "Folks, we're gonna stop early for the night, alright? Bertha burned out a belt, and Union and Bank are going to have to get in there to replace it. It could take a couple hours, and it'd be dark by then anyways, so we'll just hole up here for the night." He gives you a look, Kiddo, "Kiddo, can you set up security for the night?"
  • I've got Vee under my arm most of the trip. We don't have to talk; but when Vee's unhappy, I'm unhappy. Kodak's chatter's mostly to keep us from falling asleep anyway, so it's not like I can't multitask. I'm almost a little relieved when Union honks for us to stop — well, until I remember that means something's wrong...

Burnt belt. Awesome. ... Not. Frak. What've we got in the way of cover? I guess I'll need to do a quick scout of the area to see how bad things are... Set up security for the night? Huh. You'd think I was being paid to do it or something. I turn to Rinso, "Rinso, you've got first watch. Svenja, you've got second watch. I'm going to to scout around. Vee, can you come with? Everyone who isn't helping with the truck, grab a gun and take up defensive positions on your trucks."
  • Trucks A and C can move off the trail, or anywhere you want, really. Truck B needs to stick to the trail, the level ground makes it easier for the work.

Kiddo, why don't you give us a read the sitch? This seems charged. Or it will be.
  • OOC: Reading the sitch! Roll+Sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 13)
  • OOC: Sweet! Kiddo's on her game today!
    • What should I be on the lookout for?
    • What's our best escape route?
    • What is my enemy's true position?
  • I hum along to Sweet Caroline while Motel6 sings it. If he stops singing I'll keep going, singing the words. I don't know the song perfectly- I'm sure I get a few of the words mixed up, but I know the tune. I glance back at the truck bed now and then- Rinso looks a bit different. Maybe it's just my imagination...

When we slow down I look over to Motel6- "Why are we stopping? Is something wrong?" I look at the road, nervous of what I'll see. When it turns out to be the truck I relax visibly.

I take a gun if someone hands it to me- I don't like using them, but I know how to.
  • Stitch,

Rinso climbs down from Caroline when Union stops. He slips over to you, reaches into a satchel on his left shoulder, and hands you this:

"Here, Stitch. It's a spray and pray, two mags, one taped upside down, so if you need to reload, flip the clip." He flicks the safety back and forth, "Here's the safety. It's got a twitchy trigger, so leave the safety on right until you're ready to fire." He looks you over, "You stick by me, we'll get through this, no problem. What is it Venger says? 'Five by five.'"

This is a 9mm submachine gun (2-harm close area loud).
  • Kiddo,

That ridge to the west, which looks a bit like this:
    You've been there, with your ma, when you were still in the sidecar, with the Candies. It was maybe four years ago. They met up with some raiders, called the Black Mesas. Their settlement looked pretty permanent. They're probably still there. They're very much a "might makes right" kind of group, not big in numbers, but mobile and canny.

Your mom told you they had some crazy contraption set up to mask their approach on raids on the road. They would kick up dust in the complete opposite direction with chains and blankets that their kids would work, while the bikes and buggies would ride up quiet to get in position.

They're going to wait for the sun to get closer to the horizon, and come in with the sun at their backs while distracting you to look the other way. Then snipe off guards and hold up the survivors for all they got.

• What's our best escape route?
    I'm assuming you won't want to abandon Truck B (let's call her "Betty"). Anyways, Betty has the good supplies, but if you took a half hour to strip it down and rode off in Truck A (maybe... Alice?) and Caroline, they won't attack. They'll just scavenge what you leave behind on Betty.

But assuming you are going to fix Betty, stay put. Then you've got to hit them hard right away, scare them off with superior force and show you aren't fooled by their tricks.

• What is my enemy's true position?

In the sun, ahead of you, maybe fifteen scavs on bikes and buggies.
  • edited September 2013
    Well... That makes things a little easier. At least they aren't the Wendy's...

I head back to the trucks, and call everyone in for a huddle. "We've got a small group of morons back up by the Mesa who're gunna ride in at sunset. I think we can spook 'em off by out smarting them... Rinso, stay here with everyone and set up a defensive perimeter facing that way," I point off in the opposite direction, where their trap is set to spring, "where they expect you to be looking. Keep yourself hidden from their real approach in the opposite direction though... I don't want you getting tagged. If all else fails, get ready for a shoot-out here at the trucks..."

Then I turn to Svenja and Stitch, "I'm going to sneak around south, and hit them on their flank. Tell any survivors we're gunna kill their kids out east of us if they try and attack us." That's as serious a threat as it gets out here in the flats. "Stitch, you can come or stay, up to you."
  • I take the gun from Rinso, listening to his instructions. "Why do you call her Venger?" I ask when he's done.

I nod at Kiddo. "I'm with you." I tell her.
  • edited September 2013
    Stitch,

Rinso shrugs, "Dunno, just a lil nickname. Sounds kinda tough, right?" He smiles again, "She likes feeling badass, ya know? I mean, who doesn't?"
  • edited September 2013
    Alright, here's how this will go.

Kiddo, you're Acting Under Fire to get in and flank them.

Stitch, you're rolling for the guards set up to defend. You're acting on Kiddo's Read, so take a +1. Kiddo, you can roll to help the guard here (and it totally makes sense here).

Now Stitch, you decide if you're Going Aggro, just trying to scare them off, or if you want to Seize by Force the security of your camp.

I realize as I type this that maybe Stitch was following Kiddo out to flank. Does this work or should I redo it?
  • I can't help but laugh at his nickname for Svenja... I like mine better, but I've never seen Rinso so excited about something before. It's kind of cute!

The idea is that Stitch comes with us, and we get the jump on those frakkers. If we can get right up close without tipping them, we can try to scare them off. Otherwise we can just frakking kill them.
  • Alright, that's fine.

Then Kiddo, give me an Acting Under Fire to get the drop on them.

Stitch, you can help, unless you're doing something different.
  • OOC: Acting Under Fire. Roll+Cool. +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 4. Total: 13)
  • It happens just like your mom told you, these Black Mesas come in right before sunset. Their bikes are pretty damn quiet, muffled. You realize that they wouldn't be much for an out and out chase, what with their drek locked down like this. But hell if they can't come right up on a body. And the buggy is some kind of solar-powered deal. Damn thing has a bigass crossbow mounted on it, with some fourteen year old girl with a mohawk standing up behind it. The thing is loaded with arrows the size of street sign posts, long metal posts with holes along the side, ending with a sharp-welded arrow at the end.

And they are focused on moving up into position. Right by you. You're hiding among some scrub brush, itchy stuff. Svenja is with the two of you, she's got her rifle, and she's ready to bring some hell to these raiders.

The layout is basically like this:

What do you do?
  • So one of the reasons Ma' insisted I carry a silenced pistol, is because they're no louder than a backfire from something like a shitty dune buggy in the middle of a gang of motorcycles. I can fire off a couple of shots here before anyone would be the wiser, then switch to my shotgun, and tear into them! I tap Stitch and Svenja on the shoulders and get them to spread out a bit.

"Chill up there on the rocks, ready to shoot if someone looks at you funny. Don't worry about being spotted after I've got their attention." Then I sneak up a little closer, and fire off a round that'll whiz right through mohawk's hair — but that's just to get her attention. By the time she finds me, I'll be pointing my boomstick in her face.

That's right bitch, look at me. You and your friends are frakking dead if you think you're taking our shit.
  • edited September 2013
    Svenja takes position by the rock, using them as cover and a solid base for her rifle. She busies herself with lining up shots, making sure she's set up to do the most damage possible.

Stitch, where do you do?

Kiddo,

You've got the boomstick right up in this girl's face:

The first shot caused her to flinch and you're on the buggy before she is able to do drek. Then you have her full attention. This close, you recognize her. She was, well, ten the last time you saw her, and she had a full head of hair. But this is Versace. She was much cuter then. Time changes folks, I guess.

The driver sees you, too, of course. It's Versace's older brother Aiwa

Hes turned back to see you, but he hasn't stopped the buggy or anything yet. He's got a crap SMG in the passenger seat.

You've got the drop on both of them, no doubt. Versace is not in the mood to have her head blown off. She gives. As for Aiwa, you'll need to Go Aggro on him. Well, only if you're willing to end them, of course. If this is just a bluff, then I guess you're manipulating them.

But what do you want, Kiddo?

What do you do?
  • I smile politely — ok, maybe it's more of a shit-eating grin than polite, but you get the idea — and nuzzle the boomstick into those soft cheeks of hers. "Tell your brother to stop the truck, yeah? I mean, he could keep driving... But then my friends up on the ridge will unload on your shit little gang here, and your brains would end up all over your idiot brother's face."
  • Aiwa stops the buggy, slams on brakes. Dust kicks up and you hear rocks scatter underneath. Versace's mouth is a thin line, she's trying to stay tough, but her nostrils are flaring and you see the fear around her eyes as she watches you.

Once you've stopped, Aiwa has turned around, arm up on the steering wheel, other hand behind the seat. "Now what?"

Around you, several other motorcycles pull up, not sure what's up, then they see you. A skinny guy sees you and whistles a shrill whistle and others stop, while a few others look like they're going to bolt.

What do you do?
  • I take cover behind some rocks- maybe it's a bigger pile than Svenja's, I'm just not as brave as she is- and look over my weapon, going over Rinso's instructions in my head. After that I mimic Svenja- she certainly knows what she's doing, lining up shots and such.
  • Stitch,

As you're there lying on the rocks with cranky bitch, watching Kiddo edging up to make her move, Svenja says, "Stitch... you think these people are really stuck, or just ignorant? I mean... what if there's a starport on the other side of that horizon?"
  • Only a raider could be so frakking stupid. "Now what?" Seriously? "Now you're going to turn the frak around and go home. Failing that, I blow both of your brains out, my friends take out a sizeable chunk of your buddies here, and then we head east to that little diversion you've got set up. See who else had a mind to try and frak with us."

I press the barrel into Versace's cheek a bit more, "That'll be fun, won't it? Maybe I'll give you a front row seat. I mean you wouldn't make kids do your dirty work, would you? That's an adult's job — not that it matters much to me. Plenty of folks pointed guns at me growing up. I figure I can return the favor."

I'm not bluffing. These folks were willing to kill all of us for those goods — you have to play their game.
  • Let's see you Go Aggro then.
  • "Wouldn't you do everything you could to get the frak off this rock, if you could? I don't think they are ignorant." I'm thoughtful for a moment- I'd love to entertain the idea of a starport anywhere on this planet, but it doesn't really make sense. Nobody wants their trash returned to them... "We need more intel. If they really aren't that mobile, maybe there is a starport, but I doubt it."
  • Stitch,

Svenja shrugs, "I plan on doing everything I can to get the fuck out of here. I'd like to get home while I'm still just a great aunt or some shit , you know?" Ahead, Kiddo is about to make her move, that buggy is getting closer.

She asks, "You got Cee workin on that intel?"
  • My suspicion is that we were on ice for much longer than that, but I haven't told anyone.

"Yeah. Asked him to talk to customers." I reply. I told him to be careful about it, though, since we don't really want to advertise that we are a bunch of spacefolk looking to fly home.
  • Stitch,

"Why are you here? Svenja asks, "You aint trained for this shit. You should be back at that shitty clinic. Now, I gotta do my job, and watch out for yo skinny ass."

Then she adds, "Not to mention takin Rinnie off his game."
  • "What the frak are you talking about, taking Rinso off his game?" I am very confused by this comment.

"I'm here in case you get shot. Or he does. Or whoever. I'm here to sew your bitch ass up when it gets torn open." I want to keep talking, shut her up, but I go quiet. She hasn't seen my file, she doesn't know what I'm trained for. What I've been through. She thinks I'm just a medic, but medics see the worst shit- make the most impossible decisions- and have to live with it.

I go back to making sure I can operate the gun, my jaw clenched.
  • Svenja turns to look at you out of the corner of her eye, "Frak? Hah, it seems you're assimilating with the indigenous fucking culture, Stitch. You gonna name yer kids after some damn pizza box or some shit?" She laughs a bitter little laugh, shakes her head.

About that time, Kiddo's making her move. Svenja says as she leans into the rifle again, "You know that boy, thinks he's some white knight, gotta save the weak and shit. There was just skinny little VB along, now there's Kiddo's brother, that dark haired girl... and you. He's split too many ways. But well, let's hope you don't hafta sew any asses up, yeah?"
  • OOC: Go Agro on the Black Mesas. Roll+Cool* (ice cold) +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 2. Total: 11)
    (Possibly +1 extra from reading the sitch)
  • A flicker of memory floats before my eyes- a sonogram picture. I'm sad- I don't remember why.

I grind my teeth. What the fuck did I ever do to her? She's been a bitch to me from day one and I do not know why. I guess she never thought maybe I was running from something when I signed up for the program- something I'm not itching to run back to.
  • The seven cycles on the other side of the buggy speed up, heading towards the trucks.That's when Svenja opens up on them. Short, controlled bursts, and in short order, two bikes are down. That's enough for them to scatter, turning tail and running back to the ridge.

Stitch, there's some panic fire your way. You take 1-Harm (apply armor if you have any).

Kiddo, Versace and Aiwa don't move. Especially not Versace, who's trying to hold an angry posture, but she's on the verge of breaking down and crying. Tears are already forming in her eyes. Aiwa, for his part, he's given up on trying to subdue you, but if you kill his sister, he is going to mow you down with that SMG.
  • edited September 2013
    Rage swells in my eyes as I watch the bikers bolt for the frakking truck. Don't think I'm moved by their common frakking sense — these idiots were pointing a frakking rail gun at my crew. The only reason they aren't killing my family right now, are because I've got a gun to their own family's head. My eyes narrow on Versace, and I shake my head with disappointment — then I smile, cold as winter.

*BOOM*

I jump out of the buggy as whatever's left of Versace crumples into the bed of the truck, and I spin the barrel around on Aiwa. Should've tried harder, mother frakker. I'll be taking their little buggy — since I'll need it to mow down their friends; and for the record, I won't be asking — Aiwa's a dead man.
  • Breaking down Harm.

Svenja does 3-Harm with her rifle, minus one for the size of the gang. These raiders are on hard times, they've got no armor. They take 2-Harm.

Svenja and Stitch took 1-Harm, plus one for size differential, minus two for cover.

And Versace and Aiwa are dead, along with the couple Svenja shot.
  • edited September 2013
    I call back to Svenja and Stitch, "Get over here! I'm running them down!" then I pull Aiwa's corpse out of the buggy and hop in, getting ready to race after their counterparts.
  • Svenja's up quick, rifle in both hands. She runs out from behind the rocks, eyes slight with excitement, the thrill of the hunt. She calls back, "C'mon, Stitch!" But she isn't waiting around.

Kiddo, by the time you have the two corpses pushed out of the buggy, Svenja's coming up. She yells ahead, "You driving? Or me?"
  • I'm already hopping in the driver's seat by the time she asks, "Me. You're in charge of the turret. Waste those frakkers!"

I'll circle around for Stitch if she's coming.
  • I'm thankful for the armor I came out of the iso-cube with. It only covers my torso, but every little bit helps. My arm is barely finished healing- don't need to add wounds to the list.

I jump onto the buggy when Kiddo circles around. "Thanks. You two ok?"
  • "Never better!" I say grimly, as I punch it for the bikes. Time to take these guys out.
  • Svenja doesn't answer your question, Stitch, she's busy trying to figure out this crossbow, checking the ammo, and glancing across the field of dying light for targets. The raiders are looking over their shoulders, they're spreading thin, trying to keep from being hit.

Kiddo, it sounds like you're trying to seize the field by force here, right? What are you after here? Drive them off and make sure they don't come back? Hunt and pillage? Something else?

Define that and let's see dice.
  • I'm after the safety of the trucks, and I'll fight to the bitter end if that's what it comes down to! I'll be running down bikes with the buggy, firing off rounds from the shotgun, and generally wreaking havoc on the gang until they either give up and ride off, or end up a blood smeared pool in the flats.
  • OOC: Seizing the safety of the trucks by force. Roll+Hard. (+Help from Stitch?)
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 11)
  • OOC: Oh yeah! Kiddo will:
    • Take definite hold of it.
    • suffer little harm
    • impress/dismay/frighten your enemy.
  • You tear up the alien dirt with the buggy and give chase. It's some tricking driving, but damn do you pull it off, Kiddo. The raiders spray panic fire from their pistols at you, most of them bouncing harmlessly off the buggy's hood, but the windshield takes a couple cracks.

Then you get Svenja close enough to fire that monster crossbow. It has almost NO range, but drek, that thing runs clean through the rider, severing his arm and slicing him open. Then you catch up to a burly guy with a handlebar mustache who is having engine trouble is just too slow and shot number two takes his head off. It's fearsome.

Breaking down Harm.

Svenja does 4-Harm with the crossbow, minus one for the size of the gang. These raiders have no armor. They take 3-Harm.

From small arms fire, you take 2-Harm, plus one for size differential, minus one for cover in the buggy. That's 2 from small arms fire. Apply armor.
  • OOC: I have 2-armor, so 0-harm.
  • I stare at the injuries, having to force myself not to go over to assess the arm of the crossbow's first victim. Bile forces it's way up my throat. Is this what I signed up for?
  • Svenja is having the time of her life, "Shit yeah! I'm going medieval on all yo asses! Who wants some, motha fuckers? C'mon, I am LOCKED and LOADED!"

The raiders are broken, the fight has left them.

Stitch, you're watching the fight, probably firing back, right? One thing you notice, these guys, they're skin and bones. worn thin. I mean, seriously unhealthy.

Kiddo, you've beat them back. The caravan is safe. You can probably hunt down a few more, but that's a whole different action, you know? Are you picking anything off the corpses, or leaving them for the raiders to recover?
  • Frak no I'm not hunting them down. That's a stupid risk, and those folks at least have the common sense not to frak around when they know they're beat... Plus, y'know, free dune buggy, and a frakking stopsign-launching crossbow. Frakking flash! Though admittedly, seeing cranks all sexed up over ripping a few guys open is just weird...

I take some time to loot the ammo and weapons off of the dead. Bullets help their cause – we can't be having that, now...

Before heading back, I find Stitch and chat her up while reloading my shotgun's clip. I've probably still got a bit of Versace on my clothes, and face. I keep eye contact while I let my hands do the repetitive work. "You OK, Stitch? It got a bit bloodier than I intended..."
  • Svenja yells out, "Oh, THAT got just as bloody as I intended! Did you see that fuckin bolt run through that asshole? Hoo-rah!"She cocks back on the hammer for emphasis, not that it was needed.

Hey Stitch, when you glance back at Svenja after her outburst, you notice that her side is bleeding. Quite a bit. Maybe the adrenalin has kept her from feeling it, but she's not reacting to it at all. And that's quite a lot of blood, she must've been shot around the body armor, in the side, probably the ribs.

Kiddo, its on the opposite side of you, so you didn't catch whatever shot hit her. And she's carrying on like she's just fine.

You're driving back up to the trucks, right? Looks like Union and Bank are still working in the last of the daylight, Bank is firing up a work-light, powered off Betty's battery. Rinso gives you a wave, "Nice work, ladies! I see we have ourselves a new ride!"

KellyTires asks, "Hey, are those solar panels on the hood? Looks like a few need repair, but that's pretty flash!"
  • "I'm ok." I tell Kiddo. I had laid down some cover, but couldn't force myself to aim after I'd seen the dude's head come off.

I get up and gingerly walk over to Svenja, reaching out to touch the blood on her side. "You got hit. Take off the armor so I can look at it." I tell her.
  • Somehow I doubt Stitch is OK, but I'll get her alone later... You never forget the first time you see someone get ripped apart, and that shit'll eat you up from the inside out if you aren't careful.

But down to business... "Rinny, you think we can move this turret onto Bertha before the night's out?"
  • Svenja looks honestly shocked, and looks down where you touched her, and sucks in a breath. "Shit! That was that asshole with the cowboy hat. I knew it!" Her voice comes out a good deal less cocky, and she sort of sits down on the wheel hub, starts working at the straps on her body armor. Stitch, you have to help her on the wounded side, her fingers keep slipping.

You get the breastplate over her head and what, lay her down on the wheel hub? Get someone to move her somewhere else?

Rinso is hopping off the truck, coming over, "What the frak happened to you, Venger?"

"What's it look like, dumbass? I got... shot." Her voice is thinning, her face is a bit pale, too. She's started sweating something fierce.

Rinso answers you, more than a bit distracted, "What? Oh, uhm, yeah. I can move it, no problem. But it's got to be, you know, fixed in somewhere. Thought you were keeping the buggy? Doc, she gonna be okay?"

Stitch, Svenja is at six o'clock and bleeding. What do you do?
  • I help Svenja with the straps, gently moving her hands out of my way. We lay her on the wheel hub- it's not ideal, but it's better than the ground.

"Kiddo, I need an extra set of hands." I ignore Rinso as I start pulling supplies out of my pack, keeping an eye on Svenja's injury. I pull on a pair of disposable gloves- gonna miss them when the supplies are gone- and gently pull the clothes away from the wound.

OOC: Read a sitch incoming.
  • OOC: Read a sitch. Roll+sharp. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 10)
  • Oh wait... Is the crossbow mounted to the frame? I thought it was on a tripod or something. Alright, fine... I guess we can keep it in one piece. "Rinny, focus. Just keep an eye out for anyone coming from the Mesa. The doc can't do her job if she's getting shot at, yeah?"

I turn over to Stitch, "tell me what to do, and I'll do it."
  • OOC: Questions are all re: Svenja's injury
    • What's my best way in?
    • What's my enemy's true position
  • I hand Kiddo a flashlight, "Keep it on the wound. I'll ask for things as I need them." I've laid out some implements, gauze and bandages, along with the disinfectant.

• Stitch,

Your way in is to dig in and find that bullet, it didn't pass through. Then you will need to stop the blood loss, you've probably got some equipment in your bag for that. Failing that, you can cauterize the wound, but that's not the most pleasant solution. Oh and by the way, you should totally put her out right now.

You should be on the lookout for sepsis, really. The situation for someone getting shot in the gut is NOT ideal, of course. And those filthy raiders, their guns were probably just as gross.

I'm saying your enemy is the bullet, it's in fragments in her intestines, the damn thing was a hollowpoint, and it's been moving around in there for a few minutes.
  • "Fuck." I say under my breath. I push Kiddo aside for a moment to grab an injector out of my bag. I jam it into Svenja's leg before anyone can say anything and toss it aside. "Hollowpoint. Need her out so I can get all the bits out of her gut." Svenja probably heard that, but is unconscious in moments.

I pick up my implements and motion for Kiddo to reposition the light. I dig out the largest fragment and a few smaller ones, but I can feel more in there- I'm afraid of just ripping them out for fear of tearing her up worse. I sigh and put my implements down, taking my gloves off and laying my hands directly on her skin.

OOC: Healing Touch incoming
  • OOC: Healing touch. Roll+weird.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 5. Total: 9)
  • edited October 2013
    I'm holding that flashlight, and trying to keep folks away from Stitch so she can work in peace. I've seen folks die from getting gut-shot before... I wouldn't wish that on anyone...

OOC: Helping Stitch. Roll+Hx.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1 . Rolls: 6, 2. Total: 9)
  • Rinso hovers over the three of you for a little, then goes to work getting VB, the ferrymen and Hump watching things. Kodak has the truckers, except Union and Bank, working on camp, they're nearly done.

And Stitch, you and Kiddo, you focus on Svenja. While your hands are working on her body, trying to heal her injury, your minds... well, somehow, they're reaching out to her, too.

Kiddo, what was your lowest moment?

Stitch, what are your secret pains?

Of course, both of you get a glimpse at Svenja, too. You catch a fleeting image of her as a girl, an underfed ghetto girl living on government dole with her "Momze", her brothers and sisters, the middle kid, ignored and barely scraping by. You see her following her bigger brothers around, the annoying kid sister that wanted more than anything in the world than to be like them, to be badass like them, to be loved by them. A love she never recognized, if it was ever expressed. They called her Matchstick, made fun of how skinny she was, and how she had this healthy head of curly black hair, they called it her big match head. It's why she keeps her hair high tight even now.

She has a real love-hate relationship with that name - Matchstick.

Then you're slipping out of it, that odd sharing of minds. And you all know. And you know the others saw.

Svenja has stabilized. She should take it easy for a day or so, but as long as she doesn't pop stitches, she should recover. You'll need to keep her on antibiotics for a week, to stave off infections.
  • My vision goes fuzzy for a moment and I remember...

I open my eyes and am staring at a picture of a woman, bruised and bloody- one eye swollen shut. No. Wait, it's not a picture, it's a mirror. It's me, but I don't recognize myself. A doctor comes into the tiny room- I couldn't go to the hospital I work at, so I traveled down to ground level to the free clinic. "I'm afraid you've lost the baby." He tells me gently, sympathetically. Expecting me to cry, but I'm relieved. I nod. He goes through the list of my injuries- broken ribs, a partially collapsed lung, numerous stitches. He tells me I won't be able to have children. He asks me how it happened- how I was hurt. "Car accident." I lie. He knows it, but doesn't press me further. I close my eye and swallow...

And I'm back, shame flushing my face red. Nobody is supposed to know about that.
  • edited December 2013
    Digging down to the bottom of the barrel is a long frakking trip, yeah? I've done lots of things I'm ashamed of — I frakked a guy named Jack the night Kodak called me a slut — he was always nice to me, 'n I was all convinced Kodak needed to be right. I was once caught stealing food off a scav in Basin to feed Hump, Vee and I — but we would've starved if he didn't take pity on us.

The lowest of the low, though? That runs deep. I still remember the fight. I rode out with Ma' back when we were scaving together with Auntie Ruth, 'n we got jumped by a bunch of starving frakkers down south — not all that different from the frakkers we just mowed down, really. I couldn't have been older than 10... I wasn't a "woman" yet, that's for sure. Anyway — these frakkers really took us by surprise. Ruth 'n Ma tried fightin' 'em off, but we couldn't shake these last two assholes... One of 'em had Ma' out cold — ready to do frak-knows-what to her — and the other was beatin' down on Ruth. Ruth kicked me her pistol, and I blew them both the frak away.

I've killed a number of folks since that day — and I expect I'll kill a number more before I die myself — but those guys were my first, and it took a huge chunk out of me... I spent days curled up on my bed, not eating and not talking while my Ma and Dad fought about me going out there again... They weren't mad at me, and I don't think they were mad at each other, but they were both scared out of their minds. They both wanted me safe, but they each had their own way of getting that... Dad wanted me home, and Ma wanted me to learn the ropes.

I still remember what Auntie Ruth said, late that night: "You saved your Mom's life back there, and mine too. You do whatever it takes to keep the folks you love safe, Kiddo — no matter what." It broke Dad's heart when I packed up my bag, and rode out with Ma' the next morning.
  • Stitch, you end up blissing Svenja for the night, she was in some major pain. But before she went out, she was jawing at you, you know, giving you hell, "The hell'd you lie bout that? Hidin what some asshole did to you? That's bull... and shit, Stitch." She winces, it's starting to get cold, by the way, and then, she asks, "It wasn't Cee, was it?" She looks at you with tired eyes, glazed over a bit.

Looks like the group has set up camp for the night. There's a little grill cooking some canned food, Topps is serving up the food, and Hump is helping her. Mostly to stay close, they've sort of hit it off.

I assume you set watches, stuff like that, right Kiddo? Do you stay up or grab some sleep? Who else has a watch?
  • I'm glad Hump got to hit it off with Topps... It's weird seein' him all close with someone — digs up a lot of memories — but I'm just glad he's satisfied. Once Svenja's in better shape, I let Stitch alone to finish up... That shit with her kid? That's messed the frak up... If she's lost a kid, though? She's in the right place... Ruthie always used to say this was a hell for folks who lost babies. She may've been right.

With Svenja out of the game for the night, I guess it's Rinso and me taking shifts... It doesn't bother me so much waking up late in the night, so I offer to take the second watch.
  • "It's ok." I reply to Svenja. "It wasn't Cee. That guy is dead now."

I'll take a watch, or I can stay up with either Rinso or Kiddo.
  • Kiddo,

Please head over here.
  • Stitch,

Please head over here. You ended up staying up with Rinso, but he let you fall asleep. So you can wake up whenever you like in that scene!