[Snowpocalypse] Red Rover, Red Rover (H 4.4)

edited April 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Hadden,

A few days have passed since you crashed at the Preservers. Your mother set up a "shift change" in the guards watching over Tindy's cell so you could check on her. It's one of the sets of quarters under the Odysseyiii, what was once a passenger cabin, now a reasonably comfortable, but chilly room three stories under the common area of Underlake.

What do you notice about the room first?

Tindy is here, dressed in a simple gray smock kind of dress, no shoes. She's lying on her side, maybe asleep.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

I love my mom. I wonder how much she suspects. I don't want to fight her over any of this.

I'm on edge, trying to keep all my actions and reactions controlled and normal.

There's a glint as the light falls on a little thing that screams Lashfight. Maybe the size of your palm. Someone's hung it on the wall. Looks like this:

It really hurts to see her in grey. She's, in my mind, Tindy's vibrant and alive and woman and motion and delight and playful joy. I check the corridor, make sure the coast is clear, and close the door a bit. I go to her, kind of curl-up-and-kneel by her bed, just watch her breathe for a sec. Then I touch her face, lightly, get close and whisper, "It's Hadden. I'm here."
  • She stirs when you speak. She wasn't asleep, but lost in thought, a reverie. She turns over to look up at you, her eyes immediately glassy, "Oh, Hadden." She reaches up to touch your face, running fingertips along your cheek to trace along your ear.

Then, she looks to the door, "How did you...?" She looks worried.
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

I nuzzle a bit into those fingers, close my eyes for just a sec and feel. I hold her wrist, lie her hand alongside my face, looking into her eyes, being. I bite my lip a little like I can't stand to see her like this. "Tindy," and it feels good.

I nod my chin to the door. "Mom. We have some time." I'm confident, one less thing for her to worry about.

So much to say. What can I do, I'll fix it, I miss you, I hurt. She can probably see all that and more in my eyes. I don't need to hold that back. I swallow. Whisper a bit."Arbor's okay, I'm on it. How are you holding up?" I squeeze her hand.
  • She nods thankfully when you assure her about Arbor. "We have some time?" she asks. It's obvious you meant what you said, she was confirming perhaps because it has been days for her here. Alone.

Tindy sits up, sliding her hands around your waist to hug you, pushing her head against your chest and sobbing. "I missed you, Hadden. So much."
  • From Hadden:

I nod, "A good chunk, at least a couple three hours."

I'm right next to her, close, "I think about you every fucking day. I try to send you food. A note is too dangerous." I hug her tight, tight tight, smelling her hair, feeling her body, her life, holding her complete, letting my tears come when they do.

Eyes closed, in her ear. "To hell with tradition, I want you out of here."
  • Tindy feels frail, wan. Almost brittle, like some marrow of her being has been drawn out. She nods when you mention that notes were too dangerous, she must not have gotten any of the food.

Your declaration of wanting her out of here draws her attention. She pulls back, looking at you with teary eyes. "I can't. He would go after you. I... I can't." She licks her lips, a little habit of hers you know. "I thought Arb died for me and it was awful. But you..." She shakes her head emphatically no.
  • From Hadden:

I have her hands in my hands, I can hardly stand how she feels so thin. Her bones. My eyes are just as wet.

Resolute. "I've got to do something, Tindy. I can't stand by, idle and free." I put her face in my hands, kiss her cheekbones gently. I don't want to give her false hope. But I'll buy her... them... if I have to.

I kind of curl down into her, my face squeezed tight and pinched, my voice about to break. "I'm so so sorry, Tindy dear. It's all my fault and..." A big hitch, almost a sob, a wail. A few beats, breaths. Then, with venom: "His fault."
  • Her eyes are so large and wholly focused on you when you take her face in your hands. The light dances off of them, they draw you in. "It's my fault, Hadden. I was so angry, and lonely. I never thought he would do this. Not... not to me. I was a fool." Her mouth curls up and her face reddens. A strangled cry bubbles up and she closes her eyes.

"I'm sorry you're drug into this. You should go. You are free." She puts her cool hands on yours, not quite strong enough to break the contact, even though her words seem to suggest it.
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

I'm in her eyes.

I choke back a little laugh. "You're my fool, though." I press my forehead to hers, noses touching. Getting a little heated, "He's a fart-smelling guttersnipe fucktard. How can he do this to you and still live with himself?" I have some fires burning inside my words. And poor mom... the thought shreds, it bites, it cuts.

I shake my head, dusting my brain. Can't see the sky from here. "It's like crossing the lake — there's so many soft patches of ice, caves, dog packs, twisty passages... it's a thousand ways to die but there is a way through and you just have to find it. I have to find it."

When she says those words, I twine my fingers in hers and clench. I'm here. "No way, chica. We're in this together, all three." There's hope behind my words, and I'm just barely smiling with wet eyes.
  • The fire in your tone gives her comfort, some strength. "You'll be a good father, Hadden. If it doesn't work out for me, swear you'll see to..." she can't bring herself to finish.

It's weird, right? She isn't showing. She doesn't look pregnant at all. But she hasn't denied it. Must've caught her real early. Your mom's good at reading the signs, right?
  • From Hadden:

Would I? I'd do my thrice-damnedest. But I don't have words either, so I just nod once, like fuck yeah you know it don't even question. But the hard look in my eye says I'm going to see to her, too.

My mom's done midwifery, sure. But I wonder. "How did he find out?" And I'm thinking about her and Arbor both.

Half-quiet, still holding hands, looking to one side with that little wire heart Lashfight made in the corner of my eye, "I wonder what mom would do if she knew?" I shake my head, like there must be a way.

I suddenly want to dance with her again, and it brings a fresh round of hurt bubbling right up. Not enough room to swing a fish in here.
  • Tindy looks down, at your mouth, not meeting your eyes. "I missed my... you know, my time. I mentioned it to Mimsy and Lashey. I wasn't even sure if it was just stress or what the what."

She sighs, like this is a blessing and a curse."Mims checked me over, and told me yes, I was. With child." She swallows. "I guess she was just so happy for me that... he found out." She closes her eyes, and leans forward, into your chest. She's stopped crying, just needs to lean on you.
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

I just hold her as she leans into me, her chin on my shoulder, my ear against her ear, running my hands on her back. "I'm happy, too, but it's under so much other stuff you may not see it." I kiss some part of her neck I can reach, just slow like hello. "I just wish circumstances were a little different."

I wonder if the only way through this is to talk to Merrell. Makes me sick he has power over me and mine.

"I'm working out a plan... What would make you happy? What do you want, in the best of all possible worlds?" Holding her.
  • There's a long pause. You can't see her face to read it, but you feel her relaxing into you. The comfort of touch, denied her for days now. For the briefest of moments, you might wonder if she's fallen asleep in your arms.

Then she answers softly, wistfully like it's a dream that has passed away. "...to leave Underlake, raise my baby somewhere warm. Still see you from time to time, no gigs, no politics, no bullshit. Just dancing and laughing."
  • From Hadden:

My eyes are closed anyway. Her voice. Her muscles, her bones.

Softly, like a dream still dreamt, "I'm building a place. Plan to have heaters at least." Pull back, looking in her eyes. I've got a smile that's not very wide but is very real. "I can't promise no bullshit."

The tiniest of nagging doubtful gremlin voices inside of my brain whispers to me: "her baby?"
  • "Heaters sound nice," she agrees lightly. She looks in your eyes, hers reddened from the tears. "Bullshit never goes away... does it." It wasn't a question, more like a resignation.

She swallows. "I don't know what to do, Hadden. And I don't want you to get hurt. I thought for sure he would come after you for this. I... I have no idea why he blamed Arbor." She licks her lips, then moves in to give you a gentle kiss.

"Don't get killed over this, Hadden. You mean too much to me."
  • From Hadden:

Such a kiss.

"Quite the opposite, Tindy dear. I aim to live a long, long time. Might be fun to be a granddad. Makes me want to think of names for this one." There's a twinkle in there. I want her to share some hope with me.

I gots to make sure Lemma and me plan to build a nursery or something. I wonder who else wants kids, needs a safe place to raise 'em? Of course I think about K2 and Grammas Handplant, Hitec. I think about my mom, holding a couple babies, playing with Uncle Slash... it hurts, I close my eyes and turn my head. Right now, she wouldn't accept Tindy or our baby. Maybe if she knew it was mine? But I think back to her look and I'm not sure, not certain. Gotta, gotta get her on my side on this.

"Who knows why he does what he does? I thought he got wind of Arbor working with me and punished him as an example." I snap my fingers off to one side.

This next one is hard, but I have to know. "Is anyone... hurting you?" I'm stroking her shoulder idly, softly.
  • "No." She answers soft, feels honest. "Nobody talks to me, at all. Nothing here to do, just sit. And wait. Like I'm... not even a person. Just, you know, a baby-maker. Just... a thing."
  • From Hadden:

"I'll talk as long as we can. I could tell you news, or stories, or tales, or any other of my goings-on you'd care to hear. Whatever you want." I think of the Soulja Volcano suddenly, and weirdly look forward to telling it in years to come.

I have her hands in mine. "No way to treat a person. A person. I can't abide this." I feel a rage brewing... but I don't want to sour the mood. I bet she can tell I've got a righteous pissed-off mood down the line.

Focus. I know the Odysseyii was a boat, still I look around, maybe there's a window portal or a hatch or something, something I can plan with. Something's teasing my eye with the flickering light.
  • "Just crawl up here and hold me and gossip your head off." Tindy says with a bit of life. "Give me enough to go on for a while."

There's a porthole looking right into the ice. Solid. The hallway outside is normally guarded, and Mimsy made you promise not to spring Tindy. Not tonight. This is the first guy on Merr's crew who was open to a bribe of any kind. Burning him would fuck you all over.
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

I know, I know, I know! Thanks, okay? Give me a little credit. I'm just looking like maybe I stand a chance. First time I'm in here. Gotta case the joint. The portal might be a way. Dig a passage, careful, exact, then boop take her out, fill the thing back as you go with ice and water so's it refreezes. Keep a solid slab to cover the glass as-is, so at first blush it's not all gravel. Mom did a great job, I'm not going to burn her work or this in.

Sorry for the outburst. I'm tense. 'Specially here. You can dig it, right?

"Yes indeed, madam." I'll tell her about the thrilling escape from the Soulja Boys, the volcano, Molotov and Roxy, Jester and Rossi, touch on K2 and Silica, tell her about some of the little things that's been happening. I'm not going talk about Lemma's project just yet. I'll share some of the beef jerky and maybe a candy bar from the scavenging gig, I've got some water in my go-bag, just talking and holding her, a light shoulder and neck massage if she wants.

Careful of the time.
  • It's nice, this closeness. More intimate than normal with Tindy. She's always been affectionate, but with a purpose, you know? Pushing for dancing, for sex, for playing around. But this time, she just relaxes into your caresses, like that's the hunger you're sating.

She listens to the stories of the volcano, making sounds of surprise. She may not entirely believe you on that one. She makes approving noises about K2, commenting, "She's sweet, and easy on the eyes. Mims loves her. She wants you to snag her, you know."

On Jester and Rossi, she stiffens a little, "They're together? Like... Rossi isn't into girls? I always thought... nevermind. Wow... that's... good for them. Yeah. Good for both of them."
  • From Hadden:

I'm pretty aware of how much company, people company, my company means to her. I'm doing what I can in the here and now.

"K2 is very sweet on me, but... I couldn't be what she wants. I don't know if she knows what she wants. I kept thinking of you, of the baby... It's complicated. And now K2's with Silica, and that's a messy romantic triangle. I look at her, warmly. "A square, even. Making me rethink what I want."

I got a good laugh at that one. "Oh, Rossi is into dudes, make no mistake. I dunno if she's into girls. She might deck me if I ask." I look at Tindy, all grins, but assessing.
  • When you talk about your square, Tindy taps your arm, "You doof! I mean, Mims wants you to snag K2. She's smart, young, lots of potential, bear you good kids, all that."

She settles back and listens to you tell her about Rossi and Jester, saying nothing more. She's keeping neutral, trying to play it like it's just gossip. Feels like there might be more. "Glad you're here." She starts kissing you again, pushing you back on the bed, starting to crawl up on top of you.
  • From Hadden:

She does have a ton of future... but she is young and flighty. And right now, I think she wants Silica more than me. But again, she is young. She might change her mind next week.

"K2 herself wants me to snag K2. I could give up whoring myself out easy. I can always get jingle, and it'd be nice to be real for a while. But I don't think I could give up on everyone I care about." I snake a hand down her side, suggestively, a teasing squeeze in a few choice delightful spots. I lick my lips and kiss her just behind her ear, a little nibble.

I fall into the kiss, murmuring, "I'm glad I'm here too," then check the time. Should be okay. But there is something more going on in there, I think. I search her eyes, her face, the whole length of her body language next to me. I stroke her hair. "What is it?"
  • edited April 2014
    [OOC, read a person, roll+sharp]
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 4. Total: 7)
  • She pulls back when you ask her what the what. For a moment, she just looks at you, then smiles, "Nothing. Just caught myself thinking about the future, not the now." She bends down to kiss you again, pushing at your clothes. "Now you're here."
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

Mmm, that Tindy.

We got a little time still. And I'm thinking of before, when I put her off because of the Soulja Boys, and what happened. Hell if I'm going to turn her down now. It's like she's a bit of her old self again.

Mumbling into her kiss, playful, ready. "I'm here. Want some?"

[OOC: spending one hold. What's going on in there? What's she really feeling?]
  • She nods, kissing and working at fasteners and buckles and zippers until you're good for what you've just promised, or hinted. No more words, just the lustful pursuit of release, of closeness and the comfort of the familiar.

She does want you, Hadden. But she's also using this to change the subject. She's unsure. There are feelings about Jester she's sorting through. She's been with him. You'd heard rumors, but the way she asked about him and Rossi, you know it's true. What's more, she isn't jealous or pining for him, doesn't seem like.

Then it falls into place. The way she said "my baby", didn't tell you it was yours, but then said you'd be a good father. She isn't sure. She doesn't know if it's you, or him. She has no idea. It's tearing her up.

She's scared you'll find out, not come back. That Jester will never know, and Rossi wouldn't let him know. That she's going to die, and her baby will just be a forgotten Tunnel Rat.
  • edited April 2014
    From Hadden:

I haven't gotten laid in like a week, and you know I've got some tension back dirtside, so she's getting some. Not even thinking or talking with words, I'm all over her like white on rice. She needs it, I need it. Don't even bother fully naked, just hard, fast, deep, and now. Haul up that horrible grey dress and just take her on the bed, kissing and hands and lips all over, pounding into her, careful not to bite or leave marks like always, but I want to with lust, driving into her, eyes on eyes, holding her down and mouth on mouth and hands and tits and grab and ass and pussy and slam and pound and together fuck fuck fuck.

I swear I see green waves of light behind my eyes when we come.

After, lying next to her, playing with her hair opposite me. Nudge her before she falls asleep."Tindy?" I put my other hand over her womb. "It's okay." I'm looking in her eyes, bite my lip a tiny bit. I don't know exactly how I feel, but I have to tell her. "Don't worry."
  • Tindy is looking at you, since you're the most interesting thing in the room. She's stared at every inch here for a very long time. Plus, you know, you're pretty and all.

You assure her, tell her not to worry. She swallows, still looking at you. That tired, satisfied, maybe a little dopey grin on her face slides away, and the creeping worry slips in at the corner of her eyes as if it were hiding behind a rock. She answers a quiet, "Okay." Then, after a beat, "Worry doesn't make it any better anyway. Just makes the time creep slower."

It's been a while, Hadden. You know you don't have much more time before you should worry about how much time you have left.
  • From Hadden:

Get dressed and my shit together like quick. Got practice at that, you know.

I hold her chin in one hand. "Don't worry. Hope. Don't know how soon it can happen, but I'm coming back for you. I swallow and don't break my gaze. "And your baby. No matter if it pops out with a hat and a harmonica and a horse's cock." I stop for a beat. Blink a little silly. "Unless it's a girl, then she better not have a horse cock." I stop for another beat. Excitedly, "What if it's twins?"

One last fast kiss, then I gotta GTFO.
  • edited April 2014
    That cracks her up, and yeah, she knows you figured it out. She lets out a little whine when the last kiss is quick, but you manage to extricate yourself from her grasp and go.

As you're about to close the door and GTFO, she looks at you leaving and says, "You'd still be a great dad."

Then, you're gone, right? Right.

--END SCENE--