[NOVA] Landfall (K 1.11, M 1.9)

edited August 2014 in NOVA
Mei, Ksenia, it's been another two days and you've finally triangulated the location of the emitter, within a large chunk of MV-589 that is in a slowly decaying orbit tracing the approximate path of its mother, for now. Still no communication, no hail from another M-T ship dropping out of FTL. Eight people, one small ship, alone in the dark.

The Bit-O-MV-589 is asteroid large, almost moon-sized. Not too hard to land the Stalker Jane on. No atmosphere left, on the surface at least. You don't know exactly where the emitter is, but indications are that it's below the crust. You've agreed to stick with the original plan, although Dai insists on landing the Jane herself, given the change in circumstances.

Stalker Jane matches orbit with Tara's Firma's daughter and lands like a kiss. It's go-time. Mei, Cribbage, Gaumata, Sanchez. You're suited up. What do you do?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    [Mei]

I defer to Dai with the new landing parameters. The Jane is her baby. I am absolutely on deck to assist with the plotting and the trajectory remappings; it's not unlike docking with a station out of geosync or an emergency rescue with a damaged ship. There's a mindset to simply ignoring the spinning stars, and the sun of this system moving faster than it ought. Just a sideways step of perspective and an exercise in 3D-rotational thinking, and it's done.

"Nice moves, Dai!" I'm sincere and honest, no duplicity or envy, just the simple appreciation of her skill.

I knew a cadet named Tritico, otherwise a fine pilot. He just didn't have the stomach for this, literally. He does transorbit work now, never interstellar or interplanetary.

I've spent most of the last ship's day shoring up the psi block, thinking of Cora, and going over the mission plans with Sung and Sanchez, playing a few war games in the conference room.

As for actually finding the thing? I have a plan to peek through the mortar, so to speak. I'm not sure what ordinance we can get away with, and I haven't forgotten about the entire compliment of materiel M-T brought aboard.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I'm sticking near Gaumata. I want zir to feel comfortable with this, knowing zir nerves. Once we're suited, I switch to a private channel, "Hey Su, I'm glad you're coming along. We'll need you alert and watching for gravitational changes. Also, any shifts in the environment. I need someone who can read fine detail and keep a level head while taking in an incredible amount of stimuli. In other words, this shit's right up your alley."
  • edited August 2014
    The grav sledge from the hold is loaded up with some of Melzer-Togawa's equipment and some standard-issue marine ordnance. Mei, Sanchez and Sung packed pretty light - orders - but you've got the equipment that any normal fire team would have. What stands out as unusual or personal among the gear that Sanchez is carrying?

Ksenia, Gaumata seems grateful for your words and the sense of purpose they provide. How have things been between you and the Captain since your time together two nights ago? What token did she give you "for luck" to take on this excursion? Are you carrying it?
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

Things have been pretty great. We're both adults, you know, so it isn't like we're a couple of lovesick teenagers. You wouldn't catch us making eyes at each other in front of anyone or anything like that. No declarations of love or even hints of a relationship. But after my long dry spell? I'll be honest, we hooked up again, last night. That's when she handed me the terminals from the biofeedback device. Just the tips, the parts I put on my temples. They're about the size of earbud headphones, you know those old things? Dai made me promise to return them, which I plan to do. With interest.

I took the terminals and put them in a small silk pouch with my fingernail. They're all three on a small thong around my neck.
  • edited August 2014
    [Mei]

I've checked and rechecked the gear manifest, helping Sung and Sanchez to load the sledge instead of just watching. I let them do the lion's share; but I do not shirk the labor. We feel like a good team at the moment, and I don't want to lose that connection. I have a feeling it's about to get tested.

I'm checking everyone's suit O2, doing my usual serious run through. It's my mission. I'm the officer. I'm the spacer. I see a repetitive bit of motion from where Sanchez is perched and I glance over. Sanchez has a pro datapad like Ksenia's, scuffed and dented from a thousand ports and a thousand transitions. He's probably got mud from a thousand planets on that thing. I forget he reads as much, if not more, than Ksenia. It seems so unlike him that he's got his nose in a book, but there it is. He has a couple pieces of shoelace set aside and he's practicing knotwork, looking back and forth between animated diagrams and his work. His hands are sure, then not, then moving again. A lot of spacers have hobbies like that, to keep the mind and hands busy. I know a few knots like anyone who's gone through boot camp, but some of the finished bits he has are almost like knitting. If he catches me watching, I'll break into a subdued grin and flash him a thumbs up of approval.

There's always something so perfect about first planetfall. I like to watch.
  • Ksenia, Sanchez is focused and relaxed, nothing like the wreck he was before transition out of FTL. He looks up from his busywork at you and grins. This is the Sanchez of boot camp, looking at you.

You both hear the Captain over the suit comms. "Ensign Mei, we are secure and go for you to take your walk. Everyone be careful out there. The Stalker Jane has grown to like you. Well, most of you, anyway."

Mei, they're looking at you, "your" team. Sanchez puts his tablet and shoestring in a velcro pocket on the outside of his suit and stands. The video feed is live from each of your suit cams, so Church and Sung, Dai and Lourdes will be seeing everything you do. The sledge is loaded and secure. Suits are on, checked and double-checked. The airlock is closed, just waiting for you to depressurize and open the outer door. Anything left to say before you hit the button?
  • [Mei]

"Aye aye, Captain Dai." I almost sing-song the rhyme. "Us too. Don't worry."

I pause, my hand on the lever. My heart is racing. I love this part. I turn whole body to my team, a broad and confident smile on my face, excitement evident. Even though the psi emitter worries me profoundly, my overwhelming feeling of joy and wonder at seeing something new dominates my every action.

Soon we'll be away from the Jane. Home for two weeks, but it's been a year. What does that even mean for returning home?

"One small step, people. Let's do this!"

I check the atmo readings one last time (nothing) and pull the lever to disengage the airlock controls, pressing the button sequence to reclaim the atmo. I feel the thrum of the vacuum pumps and unconsciously take a deep breath as though I've just leapt off the high dive, even though it doesn't matter. I realize I'm bouncing lightly and stop myself, watching the doors open.
  • The door fully opens and you see what's left of Tara's Firma. This spot, where Dai landed the ship, was surface before the planet came apart at the seams and the ghosts of a few scrubby trees remain, frozen and crumbling. It's difficult to judge distances, but a hill or mountain looms almost at the horizon. Mei, your barrier limits your ability to feel any directionality from the emitter's signal.

Who steps out first? What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I gave Mei full attention when she gave her words of encouragement. She's so obviously excited, and her confidence is contagious. She's our shield wall here, we're the brave little soldiers marching out in hopes that the enemy city's arrows don't cut us down. I know Mei will hold the line.

Without hesitating, I'm stepping out. I make sure my mag boots attach, and I start out, making sure they see me, and watch out for me. "Ensign Mei, keep me on the right path and I'll head for the emitter." No need for long speeches. I need to stay focused.
  • edited August 2014
    [Mei]

I step out on Cribbage's heels. I don't have my sidearm (I called it my 'phaser' and nobody laughed) drawn, but I'm alert and looking around, checking the HUD for anything new. The trees make me a little sad; I want to get a clipping or a few leaves if possible. I know it's not a full science mission, but we have a case of gear for investigation.

"Gaumata? Do we have better readings?" I daren't let down the psi block. I seriously doubt I'd be able to bring it back up this close to the emitter. I shudder to think what it would do to me. Or Cora.
  • Gaumata shakes his head inside the suit. "No, Ensign Mei. I hate to guess, but based on the telemetry from the survey ship I'd say we should head toward the high point there and deploy some of my gear. It'll be useless too close to the ship."

Ksenia, Sanchez has deployed as if you were still in uniform. He's about 5 meters from you, close to Mei, gun out and making the instinctive sweep with his head to accommodate the limitations to peripheral vision imposed by the helmets. Gaumata's your task. Do you give him your full attention?

Mei, you're in charge, and right now you're flying blind. What do you do?
  • [Mei]

"Very well, Gaumata." I bite my tongue. "No guesses, only hypotheses." My eyes are eager to see what's over the next hill. "Ms. Cribbage, you're with Gaumata. Please." I remind myself that I don't command either of them. I give a brief nod of apology.

I use my officer voice. "Sanchez, take point. Scout ahead and report back, don't get out of visual."

I call back to the ship. "Sung, now that we're down, can you tell if any of our orbital probes will be usable? Maybe a localized drone?" The drones were expecting an atmosphere, they might be partially usable in vacuum. I'm looking at what we've got on hand.
  • edited August 2014
    You hear a grunt from Gaumata when you say, "No guesses, only hypotheses." It sounds like an offended grunt.

Sanchez moves forward, complying with your orders, Mei. He could be fifty yards out or a hundred. Depth perception is really messed up with so little variation and no atmosphere. "Deployed, Ma'am."

Sung replies crisply over the comms. "Ma'am. Ms. Lourdes is modifying one of the drones to run in vacuum. She says..." There's a pause. "...45 minutes, Ma'am."
  • [Mei]

"Understood." No need to rush until we need to rush. I should've thought to have her do that sooner. No, Mei, we didn't know it has no atmo.

"Eyes open, Sanchez. We don't know how stable this chunk of planet is." If things look solid, we can start to move out.

Gaumata's offended? Now what? I'll spare zir a blank glance, but I'm watching Sanchez and what's around him.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

Sanchez at my flank, yeah it feels good. Feels like we're ground pounding together. But Gaumata's my focus. I won't let zir too far away. For all zir knowledge, ze's too green to function alone out here.

Hot damn, Mei's taking charge. That's it, girl. Drive this team. She gives me an odd shrug after ordering me around, but I give her a nod, like "Do what you do, I'll follow". She better not flinch because of me. I won't have it. I give a curt reply, "Aye aye, ma'am."

When Gaumata grunts zir little hissy, I shoot a glance. Don't even frak around out here, that's what my look says.

This is the life, really. I prefer this to zero-g, for sure. Some grav, some ground, that's the good stuff. I'll keep a look to terra firma, making sure we don't misstep. Of course, Gaumata is my responsibility, so I'll keep zir close.

I'll starting moving behind Sanchez, beckoning the doc to come along.
  • Sanchez is out in front. Ksenia and Mei, you follow at a bit of distance, letting him scout, Gaumata close to Ksenia. Who's dragging the grav sledge? It's not much effort in this low gravity, but it does take a hand and some attention.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I've got the sledge. Gaumata could handle it, but I need zir focused and sharp. Mei put Sanchez out front, and she sure as frak isn't hauling it. So it's me.
  • edited August 2014
    Apparently Sanchez has the thought first, pulls something out of a utility pocket on the outside of his suit and points it at the rise in the distance. "Laser rangefinder says 2 clicks to that hill."

Gaumata chimes in, fast enough that ze had to have done the math in zir head, pretty much instantly, in addition to estimating the angle by eye. "28 degrees, 2000 meters. That means it's just about 1100 meters to the summit. I don't think we'll need to go to the top to deploy the sensors." That "hill" is over a klick tall.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Well, that's a good, healthy hump, eh, Ensign Mei?" I say it all chipper. Why not enjoy the ride? Not like we get to shoot anything. Let's get a move on. Not a jog, but if we can at least move like we have a purpose, we can get it done.
  • [Mei]

I nod at Sanchez and Gaumata. I trust their numbers. "How far is optimal, Doctor?"

"If the planet hadn't blown up, I'd suggest a footrace." I quip. I give her a glance out the corner of my eye with a bit of a challenging smirk. We both think we'd win. It would be a good race. "Let's get moving, these meters won't walk themselves." I stole that line from Tylar back in Academy. Sounded good then, and it's a little light-hearted. I'm trying to work on my morale skills.

"Ms. Cribbage, I can haul the sledge if you would prefer to keep your hands free for whatever we may find." I'm fine either way, and I'm not sure that M-T would let me run off with their gear.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

Mei's giving them pep, and it's genuine from her. She talks a little trash, gives me a glance to see if I caught it. I huff a silent laugh and smirk at her. I'd run circles around you, girl. It'd be fun.

"I've got the sledge, ma'am, but thanks for the offer. You run the crew." I answer her. I add with a sure, calm voice, "If I need to drop the sledge for rapid response be advised I won't leave your ass hanging."
  • [Mei]

A girl could get used to all this yes mam. "So noted, Ms. Cribbage." Stay professional, Mei. A faint smile as I remember how she failed to leave my ass hanging last time... Is that when it started? I don't want to stare at her, we're on mission. Eyes up. What do you see, Mei? Look around.

Most of this planetoid is likely sterilized in the hard vacuum. But I would like to take some soil along with a bit of that tree. Just in case. The idea of cultivating the last scion of an alien tree from a blasted planet has an appeal. I wonder about any higher life that existed on this planet, and not for the first time do I wonder if the emitter is not a device but instead a lifeform.
  • edited August 2014
    Mei, Gaumata responds to your question. "Optimal would be the summit, Ensign Mei, but we may not need optimal to achieve what we need. We can probably make do with 600 meters up if it's too steep for the sledge."

You can feel the emitter pushing at your defenses like wind blowing around a house, and you hear a voice, someone from your past, whispering, pyosepticemic. Whose voice is it?

Ksenia, Sanchez hails you on the private channel. "This place is as empty as a staff Colonel's soul, K. Hard to believe that something so weird is here somewhere. Eyes open, though. I know."
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Yeah, Boots, it's frakked." I reply. I think he's still touchy that I slugged him. If I wasn't so busy with Mei and Dai, I would've checked in on him. I feel a little guilty about ignoring him, he's good people. "You hearing anything?"
  • edited August 2014
    Ksenia, Boots replies. "In my head? Nah. Just your sweet, sweet tones. Ah, shit." He switches to the general channel. "Ensign, we have a little, ah, challenge. There's a crevasse, not a problem to jump if we're careful, but the sledge is going to be a problem. Maybe a bit over 4 meters wide, but deep."

Just as Sanchez finishes, Dai's voice comes through your helmets. "The mini-sat net should be online now. Visuals and data available through your suit comps. Orbits had to be pretty erratic, though, so it'll be inconsistent."
  • edited August 2014
    [Mei]

An easy decision. "Very well, Doctor. We'll set up around 600 meters and see what that gets us. Hmm, depends on the terrain, too." I'll up the magnification on my optics, not really expecting to see anything earth-shattering. Ulp, maybe I should find a better turn of phrase? I glance up at the unnaturally rapid spinning of the stars, think about the literally planet-shattering event that happened.

I frown lightly at Sanchez's report and am about to respond, then Dai hops on comm. "Thank you, Stalker Jane. Let's take a look." I'll call up the sat data on my suit comp and inspect our route. "I see it, Sanchez. Looks fresh, probably from when Terra's became less than Firma." Keep it light, but not goofy. I don't want to see that crevasse get wider, and I sure as hell don't want anyone to get injured.

pyosepticemic

Lulu? Frak-a-lack-a, I haven't thought about Lulu and her curly, frizzy hair since before I left the arcology. I stop short, lost in the memory for a few seconds. I was five...? She was in the creche with me, we played with blocks and dolls and nanoweavers and colors and—

hopscotch.

I look at the grav sledge and get an idea. "Gaumata, I might need your help with some math... but can we overclock the grav dischargers on the sledge for a controlled boost?" I push off with my toes in a directed low-grav jump, demonstrating, coming down after a second or so maybe a half-meter away.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I snicker on Boots channel when he compliments my voice. "You're such a horndog, Boots. Hey, did Din..." but the question dies on my lips when he points out the gap. Shit, that's not good. I could maybe hook up with him and use our combined propulsions to try and boost over, but that's risky.

I start to ask if there's a way around, but Mei's a step ahead of me, checking on thrusters. Clever girl. I see her do that graceful little grav jump and I just watch for a moment. Poetry. She's so graceful.
  • You approach the crevasse. As Sanchez reported, it won't be hard for you to jump it yourselves, although Gaumata may need some guidance. The sledge, though. The crack is too wide for the sledge to bridge, and too deep for the grav dischargers to be any help on the way over.

Gaumata gets your idea immediately, Mei. Sanchez has already ranged it, 4.3 meters in this spot, and no narrower crossing for a few hundred meters either way. "We can certainly get the boost, but it will need to be calibrated so that the sledge doesn't just keep flying away from us." He bends down to look at the configuration of the dischargers. "Not much wiggle on the angle here. This should be interesting."

OOC: Mei, why don't you tell me what you're asking various folks to do, and we'll roll once we know the plan?
  • [Mei]

"Doctor Gaumata, I'll be happy to assist with the calibrations if you require." Otherwise, I want to take a look down the crevasse, get some video for Sung to analyze. How deep is it?

"Private Sanchez, please help secure and stow our gear on the sledge for a probable brief flight. I'd rather not have anyone climb down to pick up our luggage."

"Ms. Cribbage, you have the best legs out of all of us." I say without a hint of teasing or flattery. She's best for this task. I'm not looking at her legs, just her face. "Could you get to the other side with a safety line? Piton it in wherever works, and find the best spot to aim for." I'm thinking for the way back, too. We might need a real bridge.

That should do it- two on the sledge, one on the other side, me where I'm most needed. "Sung, anything interesting showing up on the sat feed?" I'll check the suit comp if he calls out anything.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I take a couple quick steps, then push off with my right leg to skip across the gap, landing softly. I glance back, checking on the team, no problems there. So I grab a piton, drive it down with my right hand, attach the rope, and right-foot skip back across. The operations takes a minute, tops.

Not even bragging, it was a thing.
  • edited August 2014
    [Mei]

I watch her leap in the low gravity, just happy to see my friend do something superhuman. I open a private channel. It takes a beat or two for me to finally say, "I might lose that footrace, Ms. Cribbage." I can't believe it's truly a private channel, and we are on mission.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I'm down on one knee, pulling the rope out when Mei messages me. I don't look back at her, since someone might be close enough to read my lips, and reply, "Heh, too bad. I was hoping to con you into a little wager."
  • edited August 2014
    [Mei]

My posture relaxes, my voice softens a little. "I have no doubt you could." I bite my lip and want to ask more. She seems in better spirits, I don't want to push her away. Focus, Mei!
  • Mei, this is a challenge, sure, but this kind of jury rigging is blood and oxygen to a spacer. Can you tell us about another time you had to "repurpose" a tool to get the job done?
  • OOC: rolling 2d8 for the Challenge

(Rolled: 2d8. Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 11)
  • [Mei]

Discovery - d10 - ...one giant leap for sledgekind.
    Engineer - d10 - As long as I don't outright break this, it's really just physics.

Sanchez - Security d8 - Sometimes you need a grunt to do grunt work.
    Gaumata - Science d8 - Well, maybe there's some ballistics, too.

Cribbage - Leader d10 - She really does inspire me to be a better officer.

Relationship - Cribbage d8 - I want her to see what I can do, earn her respect.
  • Discovery - (Rolled: 1d10. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
    Engineer - (Rolled: 1d10. Rolls: 8. Total: 8)

Sanchez - Security (Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Gaumata - Science (Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

Cribbage - Leader (Rolled: 1d10. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

Relationship - Cribbage (Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 7. Total: 7)
  • [Mei]

[OOC 7 + 8 = 15, with a trouble 1 for you.]
  • edited August 2014
    [Mei]

Working on the grav dischargers, I remember a Psi Corps mission that almost went horribly awry. There were six of us on a shuttle bound for Europa and the entire electrical system went dead. All the backups, all the tertiary backups. No power. No lights. No life support apart from the cabin. No engines. No computer. No radio.

Lots of panic.

I was able to get to the battery system and discover that a major cable had come loose. Normally it's screwed in and latched down, but it looked like a micrometeorite hit at exactly the wrong angle- popped off the armor housing and sheared the screwhead off. There was no way to reattach the cable with a fresh screw in space- suit gloves were too bulky to get the bad screw out, and the mag tool couldn't get the proper angle. Nobody had any TK, and we were about to go through suit rotation so everyone could look at the problem, have a turn trying it. Nobody could even hold it in place because of the damaged housing.

After about twenty minutes of steadily rising fear, I was able to jam in a wrench, a threaded bolt, and a screwdriver into the socket and make use of my hair elastic to secure the power long enough for the ship to boot and to radio for help.

Jupiter has such an immense beauty... but we nearly were caught in its gravity and lost.
  • OOC: this was a success, and a pretty handy one, buuuut. There is that 1 hanging out there, tempting me. I'll give you the Plot Point and create a Complication. To wit: the grav sledge is still working, but two of the grav dischargers on the right side aren't pulling their full weight, so the sledge is listing in that direction. Any roll that includes needing to move the sledge will give me an extra d6 until the end of this scene.
    [Taban Mei]

A qualified success.

Sanchez double-times to stow the gear, and I spot check a knot or two needlessly. I give him an approving thumbs-up, knowing everything's packed tight as a shipping container.

Gaumata's provided me with a few plots giving me angles and options. I choose one and run it though my HUD; the suit comp throws up a tracker. Right on target, and I thank zir.

Cribbage has one of the most critical pieces and it took her less than a minute. The right tool for the right task, I hear Tylar tell me, and I brush it away. If something goes wrong, the lifeline will be... er, a life line. I give her an appreciative look and nod. I can tell I'm stonewalling her a little... I may be overcompensating so as not to show favor.

All is set, and I operate the controls on the sledge. I'm tempted to hang on and ride the thing across... but propriety says not when eyes are on me.

Supervising evidently stretches me thinner than I realize, as clearly I screwed up the grav sledge mods. While I'm looking, the right-hand grav dischargers flicker and some of the coils go out. I scowl, angry with myself. It'll take some time to fix, I can tell. I've got a line of tension up my arm as I clench a fist. I imagine I can feel my fingernails digging into my hand, even thought that's impossible in a suit. I don't hear Sanchez' hoot of congratulations, but I hear Gaumata's silent judgement. I keep on the controls and land the thing with a sloppy skid, and it kicks up a slow cloud of fine dust that takes several seconds to settle.

Getting people across is simpler- tether to the lifeline and jump. Maybe use a squirt of propulsion if needed.

I go last.
  • Mei, Ksenia, everyone's across, and the sledge and equipment too. The sledge is listing, yes, but everything's intact and a quick check by Gaumata and Sanchez tells you that it was stress to the housings of the damaged dischargers, not mis-entered commands, that caused the damage. The high point lies ahead, another klick and some distant. It may be the lack of atmosphere or the minute distortion from the helmet's curvature, but it looks... sinister, somehow.

Ksenia, Boots comes back on the private channel. "Did you see that sledge jump the gap? That was like whatsername, Boogie trying to dance on liberty that weekend! Mei's got balls, yeah?"

Mei, you hear bright yellow and Lulu's voice whispers again in your inner ear. What does it say this time?
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I keep my expression neutral as I listen to Sanchez and Gaumata report. I nod absently, thinking. Reevaluating. It's okay, Mei. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's your first mission and it's just a grav sledge.

Once things are settled, I call on the open comms, "Let's move out." If I sound confident, that means I'll be confident. "Sanchez, you're on point again. Ms. Cribbage, you're with Gaumata and the sledge."

the itsy bitsy spiders climbed up the water spout
    down came the anoplothere
    and washed the spiders out

I can't rub my head or my eyes, so instead I do a couple of big yawns to push some oxygen in my blood. I slow my pace and concentrate, slow blinks, maybe a second at time, shoring up my wall. Better circumstances, Lulu.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I answer on Sanchez's channel, "Yeah, that was pretty funny. You'd think with a nickname like Boogie that she could, you know, dance. But no, she was doing that stiff head-shaking thing. Remember when she tried to do that booty shake move? That was classic." I laugh a bit, keeping things light.

Mei, when you look over, I give you a simple nod, like "good job". Nothing huge, because it was just jumping a sledge over a gap, but you pulled it off, so good on you.
    [Taban Mei]

It wasn't a big obstacle, but I feel warmer inside from Ksenia's approval. I try to hide a little grin, but my gait is pleased.
  • edited August 2014
    Ksenia, Mei, you're across the gap, looking up at the hill or mountain, whatever, that's in front of you. Everyone's intact, and it's just over a klick ahead.

You hear Gaumata over the comms, the general channel. "That is quite a slope. It is going to be interesting, with the sledge as it is."

Ksenia, do you recall a moment like this? Facing an unknown with a group that hasn't fully earned your trust?

Mei, they're waiting. For you. What's next?
    [Taban Mei]

I say pleasantly, for conversation, "At least it's low gravity, Doctor. What's the most G you've ever pulled?"

I feel their eyes look to me. It still tingles but I don't ruffle. I hail the ship. "Sung, can you push through a topographical map from the birds to our suit comps?" I'm hoping that there's a good, usable slope. Four of us? We can push the thing if needed, or piton it along with someone rappelling. It's just mass. "Anyone got any better ideas besides pushing? Sanchez, review the manifest. Anything stand out?"

I'm not stalling, Ksenia. I'm gathering needed intel.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

Alien surroundings, newly formed team, bad intel, that kind of thing? Yes, a few times. There was the drop on Charybdis-3 in the Aeneid Cluster Conflict. I was separated from my team due to some tectonic shifts and a grav shift that Chenowitz didn't compensate for, so my pod was thrown half a klick from the other drop-pods. I hooked up with some green ground-pounders who had a completely different mission. Short version of their mission - "take that impossible hill". I took over the team, which Sergeant Blackmoon, former team lead that I outranked, didn't like, then I forced them into a four klick hump to my objective.

They thought I was being selfish, putting my mission over theirs. Of course, later that day when the casualties were tabulated and their unit was the only one from their entire frakking company that survived, and that the fabled hill ended up nuked anyway, they changed their tune. Private Lester gave me a damn fine flask for saving his ass that day. I lost that flask, and the fine Undulian brandy inside it, during the explosion. You know, the big one.

There were three missions I did with M-T where I had to lead small Black Ops teams and we had to figure out how to work together and achieve a loosely defined objective in a very short timeframe. They're need-to-know, NDA stuff, but the redacted version is two "acqui-hires" and some "corporate espionage" work. That was easier in some ways, harder in others. The team was built from mercs who had similar backgrounds, but they put money over loyalty. Those shadow-runs were a mix of military excitement and back-room deals. It was stressful as all hell, never trusting your team.

I like this team. Quite alot. Some more than others, of course.
  • Sung speaks up, crisp. "Topo available, Ensign. And... Ms. Lourdes says good job on the sledge hopping."

"Ensign Mei," Sanchez responds, "I can certainly tow this up myself, with maybe another hand to compensate for the list if we hit a rough patch, but there is a powered winch here that we could use if we need it. Ma'am."

As you're contemplating the map, looking for the best option, Gaumata answers your question. "It was on Goji, in the Kepler-10 system. 2.24 G. Not much for you soldiers, I'm sure, but as much as I'd care to take on unassisted."

Mei, what's your route look like? Find anything good on the map?
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I grin into the comm. "Obliged, Sergeant. Thanks, Ms. Lourdes. If we had two we could race." Wait, do we have two?

Is he being a smartass or asking for permission? I'm fine with the latter, not so much the former. "Good to know, Sanchez." I look at Ksenia... Cribbage, Mei, Cribbage. I then look up the summit, overlay the topo on the HUD. "We've got more pitons for that winch, right?" I can send her up top, drive the piton, hopefully straightforward. I check my O2 out of habit, everything's still way in the green- 95%.

I cluck my tongue, impressed. Two and a quarter gees unassisted is no fun- imagine someone exactly your size and weight sitting on you, plus they have a backpack. "Lighter gravity is more relaxing," I agree. Mars is a bit too light for practical purposes, but fun for recreation.

As I'm planning the route, looking for a steady path with a manageable slope (yes, I look for a spot by a tree), I notice something on the opposite slope. "Hello," I say, interested. I tilt my head to one side, hard in the suit. Harder to tap a finger against my teeth, so I drum a little pattern on my thigh, thinking. "Do those look like big octagons? And... something else irregular. Doesn't look like a shadow to me." I'll adjust for false color and squirt the image to the others.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Aye ma'am. We have enough pitons, no problem." I answer sharply. Every word, every action for Mei is sharp. I give her full respect as an example. I know Boots will fall in line and Gaumata trusts me, more or less. We're solid.

"Want me to head up?" I ask, seeing her looking at me and the summit. I glance at the image of the octagons, doesn't make much sense to me. Debris? Leftovers? Not sure. "Doctor, you have an idea on those octagons?"
  • Gautama's voice has that distant "thinking" tone. "The shapes are regular. Maybe an artifact, but could be some sort of macroscale naturally occurring quasicrystalline structure. The other is unclear at this resolution, but I'd agree not a shadow. Ezekiel? Do you have the tablet I left you slaved to a screen?" At Church's assent, he continues. "Would you please load this image and run it through the analysis suite, send the results back to us? Should take only a few minutes."
    [Taban Mei]

I nod. "Aye, Ms. Cribbage." There are a lot of questions where that's her answer. Stay sharp, Mei.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

Without needing to wait for them, I drop into a jog. I'm pushing with my right so it's a bit of a skipping hop. I should make good time.

And yes, I'd like to impress her.
  • edited August 2014
    Ksenia and Mei, you made it to an outcrop at about 650 meters. Beyond that point the peak narrowed and would have been nearly impossible without specialized equipment and a skillset that Gaumata, at least, certainly doesn't possess.

(Speaking of Gaumata, ze's getting the hang of this particular gravity, and zir early clumsy oversteps have resolved into a cautious but not ungainly lope.)

When you saw the slope opposite the one you climbed, it was pretty clear there was no need to unpack the equipment up here. What your eyes saw matched the enhanced picture Church sent while you were climbing: the gentler incline looking as if it were tiled in octagons, and at the base of the slope, something clearly created, a structure. Also octagonal, 11.4 meters per side and just shy of 130 meters tall.

Now, you are at the base of this structure, which is black and significantly warmer than the ambient freeze. There is a fine tracing of octagon-square tiling along the surface, and you are standing in front of a half-octagon that is of a slightly lighter shade.

Mei, the pressure on your barrier is the strongest it has been, but it's holding, flexing as intended rather than holding rigid against the tidal force pushing against it.

What do you do?
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Well, they appear to have a house." I say on open channel. "Ensign Mei, should we knock, or find a door and walk right in?" I am, of course, looking for the door now. Surely there's a door. If not, we'll need to make one.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I've got my eyes closed, tensing and swaying with the psi waves, just holding my ground. My eyes snap open as Ksenia's voice and I make a startled noise. "I'm sorry Ks— Cribbage. The emitter is very strong here... It would be really bad for me if the psi block wasn't up. Gaumata?" I shoot zir a questioning look. "But I'll bet very little survived whatever ripped the planet apart. That's not to say they didn't leave the alarm on."

I consider a moment. "Sanchez, head port, er, left, clockwise. Cribbage, go right, counterclockwise. Let's have one total lap, get a visual on all sides. Do not close radio contact." Hmm, a little more than ten meters a side, a little less than a hundred meter perimeter. That's enough to lose visual contact. "I say again, do not close comms. I want open suit channels from here on out." I put a smile into my voice. "If you gotta go, feel free to mute it."

Even with the pressure on my mind, this is pretty amazing. I make sure to record some images. I'll want to draw it, later.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Aye aye, ma'am," is my curt reply. I'm worried about you, Mei. I hate that little sound of distress in your voice. I admire your strength. I give you a glance, just a look for a moment. Courage, Mei. You've got this. Then, I'm off, moving quick. No need to take it easy,

"Boots," I call on private channel, "Let's do this on the hop. If Mei's barrier drops, this entire crew is frakked."
  • "Roger, K," Boots responds, and you're both off for the circumnavigation. You pass each other on the far side and keep jogging. No sign of life, no windows or arrow holes or doors. The only thing that's different is right here with Mei and Gaumata. This half-shape which is dark gray instead of black.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

After I hear their report, I half shrug. I wasn't expecting anything, but instead hoping for something more obvious. "Gaumata, check other spectrums besides human visual. I'll check thermals for any patterns." I look over and Ksenia's getting antsy. "We may indeed have to knock, Cribbage."
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Ensign," I call on open channel to Mei. "What's that?" There's just a hint of an edge in my voice. I indicate the dark gray shape.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I kneel to investigate the tiling, running a gloved finger across the shapes. "Hard to tell on standard visual. Sung? Anything stand out?"
  • Mei, the point is moot within seconds. As you probe and analyze, the dark grey hemi-octagon fades to nothing and you see an open space within.

You hear gasps from Sanchez and Gaumata as a voice insinuates itself through the barrier you've erected. "Ah. You are here at last, B'Quarithagacora. Welcome. As mother used to say, patience is its own reward"

Ksenia, you hear it too. How do you react?

Mei, what the what?
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

Gun up and trained on the open space. I glance over at Mei, then Boots, check corners, flick eyes to my six. Frak that was spooky as all hell!
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I stand up, impressed despite myself with the finesse and power of that psi sending. "Uh, Stalker Jane, we are receiving a, a psionic sending. A greeting, be advised." I forget to close comms and say to myself, "Guess Mei's got the golden touch."

This next will be tricky... I'll try a sending back. Some of the crew might pick up some psi bleed, I'm working through the block, hopefully without knocking it down.

// hello //

B'Quarthicawho? I can only imagine what I look like.
  • Mei, you send back your hello, and you feel it echo. You taste Cora on the sole of your foot, and hear Lulu at the back of your tongue, echoing your word. // hello //.

Church, over the ship's channel. "Yes, we know. Keep us advised. Keep safe." A moment later, "Golden touch indeed, Ensign Mei."

"B'Quarithagacora, when you left us for the predations and humiliations of... physics, I was left behind to wait for you. Long millennia have I waited, less than the sum of my parts, for you."

Mei, you feel something under the words. Longing for union and... what? What do you feel?

Ksenia, you feel the words in your head, almost echoing in your jaw and teeth, but still have the sense that you're observing the tip of an iceberg. There's something going on here that you don't know, something that seems to threaten Mei. You feel an impossible tingle in your right hand, and the fingers close into a fist.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

Wait... how can Church know? Of course it's that strong, Mei! it can reach out nineteen K-klicks! I don't have time to feel self-conscious about having a golden touch, or worry about what the rest of them think.

The words touch me and I shake-roll my head, letting them spill and spin about my mind. I'm frowning slightly in concentration, feeling horribly inadequate for anything of this magnitude. My birthday is coming up and this... presence has seen millennia?

I feel... the need for release, to actually be free. The stirrings of anger and deep calm boredom... and a... envy? jealousy? of an older sibling? I'm confused, what the what? I might sound weary, calling out, "Hang steady, people." I say it to make me feel better, they all are still here. I'm not alone and abandoned. I've got Ksenia, Sanchez, Gaumata...

Wait a moment.

Cora?
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Mei..." I say with a slightly shaky voice. I haven't lost it, but this is most definitely reminding me of when I did lose it, when we were taken out of The Dauntless. "How is your barrier holding? I can. I can feel something." I don't want to freak her out. I need to stay strong, for Mei. For me. Frak yeah, for me, too.

Boots would never let me live it down. I'm mentally preparing myself for a quick release on my cyberarm, which will be tricky in this suit, but I can pull it off if I have to.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I think, it's a stone in a river, the river flows around it. But give it a thousand years, or a tsunami, and the stone is lost.

I say, "It's holding, Cribbage. But this thing is strong. The flex prevents it from breaking." I got it, Ksenia. I got you all.

That thought gives me some backbone. "Sanchez, Ms. Cribbage- let's get some lights. Gaumata, are you ready?"

I look back at the — hell, it's a door — door, and make sure the ship can hear me before saying, "We're going in."
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I give Mei a firm nod, then focus on the job at hand. Hand. My hand. Is it still mine? Frak you, you piece of shit robot monstrosity, you will do what I say when I say or I will pop you off and float you, you frakker!

I pull out a flashlight from my belt, shine it inside. "Got it, ma'am." I'm heading in first.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

She's so... Ksenia. I shake my head, admiring her fearlessness, her bravery. I make sure Sanchez is doing up the bigger lights, and I fall in. I'm sure Gaumata will follow.

I radio back, "Stalker Jane, I'm leaving open a heartbeat ping channel. We'll double back to set up a relay if we lose signal."
  • Ksenia, when you cross into the tower, you feel a change in pressure through your suit, and the diagnostics back it up. There's atmosphere here, and it's warm enough that you wouldn't shiver to death. Suit analysis indicates that it would be safe to remove your helmet.

Everyone falls in, Mei, following you following Ksenia. The ceiling is high here, at least seven times your height. Your suit gives you the same indications as Ksenia's. There's nothing at all in this cavernous space but a strangely human looking spiral staircase, going both up and down.

Both, the voice has no direction, no inflection. It is behind your ears, but it seems to want to enter deeper into your mind. "B'Quarithagacora, why have you not answered me? Your brother?"

Ksenia, those motors in your index and middle fingers? The ones that Zoo enjoyed so much? You feel the buzz inside your suit. It's okay for now, but will certainly threaten your suit's integrity if it goes on.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

Almost as an aside, I say, "Sanchez, triple check those readings and report back to the Jane."

I'm hesitant, but I stand still, feel apart, eyes closed, hands away from my body. I bite my lip. I know they're watching me. Do it, Mei! You're strong, too!

I reach out to Cora.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Ma'am," I report with an even tone, too focused on the team to let my nerves get to me anymore. "The whatever-the-frak-this-is is affecting my right hand somehow. Just an FYI, I may need to pull my suit and pop my arm."
  • Mei, since you established the barrier, Cora has been ever-present but separate, a whisper, a memory. You reach out, and it's like grabbing air.

OOC: Let's see a roll. You're on your own here, no help from your little band of friends, and Cora's entanglement with your barrier gives me a d6 to add to my challenge.
  • OOC: this challenge is not insignificant. 2d8 for the basic situation. 1d6 for the Cora Complication. Another d8 for this brother.

Challenge: (Rolled: 2d8. Rolls: 8, 2. Total: 10)
    CoraComplication: (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
    "Brother": (Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I break off and look at her, fast as lightning. My voice has an edge to it and I'm sure my eyes are big, blinking sudden moisture away. "Ksenia, do not pop your suit." I'm thinking about the Dauntless. How close I was to suit failure. Ksenia. Get your breathing under control, Mei, don't burn your O2. "Sanchez, Gaumata, I want 120% certainty there's no surprises before anyone thinks about popping their suit." I'm more on it now, but I'm still got some blinking I need to do. "Ms. Cribbage, Dr. Gaumata, is there any way to disable it without pulling your suit? Maybe remotely?" I've taken a few steps closer to her.

Ksenia, don't even joke about breathing vaccuum, please.
  • [Mei]

Love - d8 - Nobody is ever alone. I'm here, you.

Communications - d6 - I suspected the emitter might not be a device. Let's talk to this brother.

Alien-Enhanced-Psionic - d8 - Whatever the Core was, this entity knew it.
    Trigger - Connection Beyond Words - Spending 1 PP to double my drive.

Ksenia - d8 - She gives me strength. I'm not going to fail.
  • [Mei]

Love - (Rolled: 2d8. Rolls: 1, 5. Total: 6)

Communications - (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

Alien-Enhanced-Psionic - (Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 7. Total: 7)
    Trigger - Connection Beyond Words - Spending 1 PP to double my drive.

Ksenia - (Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 8. Total: 8)
  • [OOC: 7+8 = 15 and again a trouble 1 for you, I think.]
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

Mei's order is sharp and clear. I don't even hesitate to fall in line, and this time, it isn't because I'm pulling for her. She's an officer, I'm her soldier. It isn't a question I will do what she commands.

"Aye aye, ma'am."
  • OOC: I'm going to give y'all ANOTHER PP and up the Cora complication to a d8

Mei, Cora reaches out to you from the structure you built together, the net/wall/membrane that is protecting you. You hear orange peel and burning garbage. this brother is not what he seems brother yes ally no mother is a vengeful god

Ksenia, you feel your right hand relax, but there's something here that's threatening Mei, even if she doesn't know it. Something that needs to be shot, you think. It's not in front of you. Up the stairs? Or down.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

Cora's acrid soundscents wash over me and I wish I could rub my head. I probably try, my padded gloves to the notglass of the helmet. I keep on my feet, though. A little wearily, I ask, "Sanchez, Gaumata?" I my mind's eye I see the bubble of the wall flexing against the tide from the emitter... the brother?

Cribbage seems okay, and I look at her arm to see how she fares. "Heads or tails? Up or down?" My hand works on the suit comp and I squirt a text message to the away crew and the Jane:

Don't trust it. -Mei
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Ensign Mei," I report, voice steely in the face of imminent danger. Mei might remember this tone when we were on the bridge of The Dauntless and I was bringing weapons systems online for the threat of the alien ship. "Up. Assholes always look down on people." I'm moving for the stairs, unless she tells me otherwise, and I'm taking them. Two at a time, while my arm is my own and we're in control of our faculties.
  • edited August 2014
    Ksenia, you head to the stairway. The risers are built on an unfamiliar scale, height varying from step to step in a pattern you can almost feel, as if whatever originally climbed these stairs had a strange, asymmetric gait. You navigate them with no problem, however, your right leg compensating effortlessly for the uneven steps. One floor up, a chamber identical to the one you left, but your quick assessment shows one difference. Starting at the ceiling and beginning to flow down the walls, familiar organic swirls and spirals overlay the omnipresent octagonal patterns.

Mei, do you follow? What do you do?
    [Mei]

I look at Sanchez, nod with my chin to the stairs. "Go. Do not close comms. Stay in visual contact with her." I stick with Gaumata. Nobody goes alone.

Part of me wants to go with her. I watch her go. I'm the barrier. The mission depends on me.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"We hit another room, Ensign Mei. Different patterns on the wall. Organic." I report back, then I head for the organic parts. If Boots has joined me, I wave him to cover me as I approach.

[Taban Mei]

A note of concern in my voice. "Like before? On the alien ship?" How much is Space Corps Command not telling me?
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"The patterns seem familiar." I report back. I'm peering at it, looking for something, trying to feel that threat I felt before. Are there stairs up again? Is this the end of it, the top?
  • Ksenia, Boots follows up the stairs on Mei's orders. He's got you covered as you approach closer and take a look at the patterns. They certainly remind you of the swirls that Adenay said looked like glyphs or language during the Dauntless mission.

Ksenia, Mei, as Ksenia looks closer, you both hear heavy, slow footsteps coming down the stairs from above, echoing in the open chambers of this alien structure.
  • edited August 2014
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

I focus my suit's cam on the glyphs. squirt it to Gaumata, "Doc, get eyes on this quick. See if you can read this." I wave at Boots when we hear the footsteps, and start moving around at the base of the steps to see this whatever-it-is.

"Ensign Mei, you hear that down there? I don't see it." I want to make sure the team is okay.
    [Taban Mei]

"Cribbage, it's coming from above. Sanchez, stay frosty." I pull up their cams on the HUD. I look down the stairs, peering carefully. I glance at Gaumata's work. Ze thinks so differently from Adenay. "Sung, you copy? We're about to make contact."

Nervous? A little.
  • edited August 2014
    Ksenia, that boots-on-the-ground instinct that's kept you alive over so many deployments and missions is screaming at you to get the fuck out! but the discpline that you have fought so hard to build holds you firm. Sanchez holds tight to his weapon and you can see his lips silently moving through a litany of profanity, but he too holds firm, standing tall and ready against the unknown.

Mei, Gaumata has just removed a small case from the sledge and deployed an antenna. He is moving his hands like an orchestra conductor, clearly gesture-interfacing with his technology. He calls out, "Working on the glyphs." Cora's scent fills the air of your suit with the words this shield we built may be a weapon in need be ready

That voice-that-is-not-a-voice echoes for all of you as the heavy tread grows closer. B'Quarithagacora, mother wants you to come home. There is an alien buzz behiind the words, and you know that your minds are translating foreign concepts into familiar ones.

Ksenia, at the limit of your angle of view, the topmost step you can see, a foot appears, seemingly human and rather small, at that.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"I've got eyes on a bogey, Ensign Mei!" I report loud and clear. I have my rifle out and ready, left hand on the grip, finger near the trigger. I was an expert marksman with my right, but I've nearly got my left up to snuff now. I don't entirely trust my right arm right now, but it is holding the stock. I'm not sighting down the barrel, but I'm ready to snap off a shot at a moment's notice.
  • Ksenia, slowly, and still with that ponderous sound of footfalls, a figure appears, moving down the uneven steps. What you see is a smallish man in an antiquated business suit and tie, balding and even a bit goofy looking.

Despite what you see, though, your combat instincts throw up a red flag and a warning something like huge dangerous terrible run kill. Though his lips do not move, you hear (all of you hear) Where is my sister? I feel her.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"Ensign Mei," I call over the comms, "Big Brother is coming down the stairs. Now, so I'm clear. Are we hoping to converse with him? Or can I shoot him in the eyes?"
    [Taban Mei]

A weapon?

"Sanchez, Cribbage, I see your bogey, I, uh—"

In a blink, I see the fourth-dimensional rotation of the psi wall, turning a balloon inside out without popping it. It's like stretching the wall to be infinitely large for an instant, then just letting it naturally deflate around this entity, trapping it, cutting it off from the world... then squeeze. Or like pushing a ball up a hill to the summit, where the tiniest pressure will make it roll down the opposite side and settle in another valley, where it flattens a house. Will it work, Cora? Only one way to find out.

Shake it off, Mei! They're depending on you! Talking rapidly, but not panicky, "I'm working on a solution, I'll need you two to buy some time. Be strong, I feel it too. Don't let it overwhelm you."

I want to run this plan through with Gaumata. (Except the "squeeze" part.) I don't know if it'll work. Psi combat...
  • Ksenia, Big Brother continues down the stairs toward you. Your right fist is clenching and unclenching, but your brain receives none of the usual feedback signals. What do you do?

Mei, a sudden shimmering light and something very nearly transparent shimmers in the air before you, a pastel fractal swirl of light. You all "hear" a voice. brother I will not return you should not be here why did you draw these to you with feints and hints and teases
    [Taban Mei]

My orders are to eliminate the source of the hallucinations, and Little Brother here seems to fit the bill. But Cribbage's on the M-T take and Sanchez (or Sung) may be under Psi Corps influence.

I'm very aware of the weight of my sidearm right now.
    [Ksenia Cribbage]

"You need to stop moving, sir." I say as I move my right hand, if I can, to pull the rifle's sling to my elbow. I can one-hand this frakking rifle if I need to. I'm moving up to the stairs, "Boots, watch my six."