[BtI] Date 2, Turn 3 (Active Player=Rich)

edited August 2014 in PnR
OOC: We start with 4 Attraction this turn. We have 3 Compatibilities: "At home on the water", "Patience and Honesty" and "We love new gadgets and stuff".

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I've piloted us to one of the docks here at Bulls Island. They are smaller, but I'm able to get the Ceto up alongside one quite easily. I directed you to help me moor her, and I dropped anchor.

Since we already ate, I say with a hopeful look, "Want to go for a walk, Alani? There are some great sights here."

We work together easily to tie up the Ceto, and I love watching you while we do. My emotional moment from earlier has cleared my head like an afternoon shower clears the the sky, and I feel buoyant being here with you.

"Captain, I did not travel all this way across the boundless waters just to stay on the boat. I would love to take a walk. I even wore practical shoes."

This is a lovely spot to be in with a lovely woman. Take your attraction dice.
    I grin when you call me "captain". I won't lie, it's a thrill. I reach for your hand and help you onto the dock, and I don't let go when I hop over to join you. We walk down the dock together and I say, "You may not need them the whole time....the shoes, I mean."

We hop off the dock and take an immediate left before we hit the treeline. It's a sand and silt beach here, so I walk easy and I've got you on my right so you're looking out across the water when you look at me.

I said I'm a planner.

"What plays are you working on now? What's the hardest costume?" That was questions 3 and 3a. I'm proud of them.

Definitely a bonus die for questions 3 and (in particular) 3a.

"Well, you saw the drawing for the Santa Fe Turandot... it's going to be the hardest to build of anything I have in the pipeline currently, but the shop at Santa Fe is topnotch, and they'll help me figure it out. I'm working on ideas for a new production of Guys and Dolls which is gonna be super fun, but it's kind of a rush. It's a co-production shared by four midsize regional theaters that'll go into rental after, cast of thousands and everything needs to be built to alter, since they'll be worn by a lot of different folks." Yeah, it's not hard to get me to talk about work.

Do I tell you this? Yeah. In for a penny... "I'm also doing costumes for a new burlesque troupe down in Florida. Jacksonville. They're pretty... fun." I swing your hand "innocently." "I've never worked in latex before."
    I nod when you mention Turnadot, that was such a brilliant costume. "You're so creative. I've never been around anyone who actually makes clothes, Alani. I took one sewing class in high school, but my friend Raquel talked me out of it." I look over at you, frown a little. "It was stupid. She gave me some diatribe about women's work and a bunch of bullshit. I had a crush on her, and pretty much did whatever she said for about a year."

After a moment, I realize you might ask how that worked out, so I add, "It didn't work out. She didn't "like me" like me. She's married now, three kids." I see the look in your eyes, and I squeeze your hand, changing the subject, "Burlesque? That sounds sexy. How do you like, ah working in latex?" Oh yeah, I went there. hah. I want to see you squirm.
  • edited August 2014

And I do squirm. That's a Bonus die for seeing my burlesque and raising it.

"Umm." What to say... "Hot? I mean, I imagine literally hot, for the girls, but..." Is this okay? "Let's just say... I went down for the preliminary fittings, and... well, yeah, it's sexy." My complexion makes it hard to tell, but I'm definitely blushing. "Umm. I'm glad I have rechargeable batteries."
  • edited August 2014
    "Batteries?" I smile. I got you, you naughty girl. I laugh a little laugh that isn't accusatory. "What's the most scandalous thing you've done, Alani?"

That one was scratched off my list. But here I am asking it. I worry I'm taking it too far, but I'm so interested.
  • edited August 2014

So, you get it. With the batteries. That's a relief.

I think about your question. "Aside from having a child out of wedlock at seventeen? Umm... really nothing. That's the high point of my scandal. You?"
    Well, shit. Now I remember why I scratched that one out. "Well, Min, what if she asked you back?" Damn holding hands and wine making me careless.

Thoughts swirl in my head and my mouth tightens a little. I swallow, looking over at you. I really, really don't want to ruin this moment we're sharing. I also don't want to scare you away.

"Well," I start, my tone a little hesitant. "There's the whole closet lesbian thing. That's a biggie." I pause, mouth frozen for a few moments, trying to read your expression. Alani, I really like you. You can probably tell there's more. I'm an open book to you, it seems.

My mouth quirks a little, and I frown. We're almost to the big beach. I hear people up ahead. Sure, it's an excuse. I take it though. I turn my head, looking down the shore.

"Ever heard of Boneyard Beach?" I ask suddenly.
  • edited August 2014

Well, that little attempt at misdirection is cute but ineffective. "Of course I have! Heard of Boneyard Beach. Every 'Charleston is awesome' coffee-shop has prints of sunrise at Boneyard Beach. Never seen it with my own eyes, though." There's a second or two pause, pregnant with meaning. "So, your real scandal?"
    "It's just around the corner..." I start, hoping that we've moved on. Then you ask about the real scandal, and I inwardly curse myself.

I slow down, then stop, feet in the silt beach, water lapping at the nearby shore. I look at you, so open and curious. Sigh audibly, probably a little loud with drama, especially for me.

I pull my hand back, scratch at my forearm like it was itchy, but really, I just can't bear the thought of you pulling away. "Patience and honesty, right?" I break eye contact, looking at the hint of the Boneyard Beach shore around the bend. We were so close!

Confession time.

"After college, I landed this great job with OXM." I glance up, see the confusion as I dropped some jargon, "Official XBox Magazine. They had a huge circulation back then, it was a big deal. I reviewed games, most of it was glowing, you know? The mag was pretty much a house organ for Microsoft and the XBox was going strong. So I traveled all over." I point around, like I'm demonstrating my point, "West Coast devs, up to Canada sometimes for Bioware, even trips to Ubisoft's offices. It was pretty exciting. I was just this kid then, you know?"

I look away again, not meeting your eyes because here it comes. "So I'd had a few girlfriends in college, nothing too serious, just hand-holding type stuff. I'd had one weird hookup with a cute sorority girl who swore she was just drunk, even tried to say I took advantage of her. It was... pretty awful." I shrug, "It went away, mostly because my dad's lawyer threatened to bring out the whole thing, found out she'd been with a few girls. My parents probably figured out that I was, you know... they didn't tell my brothers. They didn't ask me about it, not once. I felt shunned, Alani."

And deeper we go, "Then I graduate, get this awesome job and I'm flying all over the county, all on my own. And I've got an expense account. And I don't have my brothers, or my family to worry about. So, I started going to gay bars. Every night. And..." Now I'm really sinking. Not crying, not emotional aside from worry, "I hooked up with, uhm, a bunch of different girls. Like, I went pretty crazy. I ended up, uhm, getting fired from that job. They said I didn't represent the company well, since I ended up mentioned on ValleyWag and a few MySpace posts and pics. There was some slut-shaming, and I just needed to "go away". I was a black eye to the magazine and an embarrassment to Microsoft." The end there had a bit of a bitter tone, I know. I can't hold it in very well. It still stings, how it went down.
  • edited August 2014

So, we're what, 20 yards from being in the middle of people at Boneyard Beach? I hear them up ahead, just around the bend in the coastline. Min, I don't have words for once. I just don't. I pivot, pulling you to face me and pull you into a hug, fierce and protective. I see terns and pelicans and gulls past your shoulder, but they don't matter. "Min," I whisper in your ear, "I'm here."

Please take a Bonus die for the honesty. That means a roll, I think.
  • Attraction: (Rolled: 4d6. Rolls: 3, 5, 4, 2. Total: 14)
    Bonus Dice: (Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 6, 6, 1. Total: 13)
    My shoulders visibly relax. Your understanding means so much, Alani. You see that, right? I offer you a thankful smile

Let's increase Attraction to 5. For reasons.