[NOVA] Arrival (K 1.13, M 1.12)

edited August 2014 in NOVA
Ksenia, Mei, aside from your newly redefined relationship, the week you spend in the Gray is somber. The dinner is a more restrained affair than on the way out, and used as an opportunity for an informal memorial for Gaumata. Church speaks a few brief words about zir dedication to science, zir fierce genius. Do either of you say anything?

The transition back is smooth, and the immediate stream of beacons and signals and communications is a relief and a worry.

Mei, your tablet chimes repeatedly as new messages and communiqués arrive from your superiors. You, Sung and Sanchez have been declared MIA, and long-distance debriefings and paperwork fill much of your time. You are commended for your actions under stress and ordered to Psi Ops for a final debrief and mental and physical checkup when you arrive. Do you contact anyone yourself? A friend, comrade, mentor?

Ksenia, you have grown accustomed to coming into Dinah's space as you please, with her permission. At some point after you leave the Gray, you pop your head into Engineering to see if Dinah wants company, only to find that she already has some. She is positioned in a chair so that she can see one of the diagnostic monitors, Boots kneeling in front of her. She is making pleased sounds in the back of her throat. After a moment's pause to appreciate the scene, you close the door quietly.

Ksenia, How are things with Zoo? Tell us about a moment you have with her, please.

Comments

Yes, I said a few words about Dr. Gaumata. I spoke of zir wish to serve well, zir bravery despite zir's inexperience. I very solidly laid the blame of Gaumata's demise at the feet of the entity, making sure Mei accepted it as well.

As for the moment in engineering, I'd wondered if Dinah and Boots ever hooked up. I chuckled quietly as I backtracked out of there. Wish I'd had a camera.

Cap and I? I went to see her in the cockpit on one of her tours. I thanked her for helping me get over my "personal issues" about my body. Made a couple jokes about diagnostics, mostly because I was nervous. Then finally, after talking around it, I admitted to having serious feelings for Taban Mei, and that we were going to "try and make it work". I was honestly happy once I got the words out. Dai was pretty understanding. It went better than I expected. I don't know if it's because of the sex or despite it, but I feel really close to her. I owe her Mei, really. I told her as much. That I would never have been able to have the courage to reach out if she hadn't reached out to me.
  • A few vignettes:

After Space Corps gives permission, Boots calls his family. It's a big family, and loud, and reunions after even a few months are always dramatic. This time with a year missing and having been informed that he was MIA, the video link is practically overwhelmed with sound and emotion and hand gestures.

Sung learns that his boyfriend has moved on to another relationship, and is sad but, you suspect, perhaps a little relieved as well.

Zoo and Dinah learn that the mortgage-holders have filed papers saying that their loan is in default. They are angry and afraid much of the time.

You hardly see Church at all. He primarily remains in his quarters, emerging only to keep up his exercise regimen and grab the occasional bit of food.

• edited August 2014
    After about a week at sublight, Mei and Ksenia, you receive a message from Church, asking you to join him in the conference room. When you arrive, he is seated at the head of the table with only his tablet and a cup of water in front of him. He is drawn, eyes tired and shadowed, clothes hanging loose on a body that has lost considerable weight in the last two weeks.

Zoo and Dinah arrive at about the same time, and Church asks someone to shut the door.

Church jumps right in. "I know we are all dealing with events and repercussions, and I would first like to say how much it saddens me that good people like you got involved in this mess. I've spent the last week quite busy, and, to, ah, cut to the chase, I've asked you here to offer you a job."

He pauses to take a sip. "I have decided, for personal and moral reasons, to leave Melzer-Togawa. I cannot tell you everything because of the agreement I reached with them, but since we've been in realspace I have leveraged my own personal assets to create a small corporation, which I have named AdAstra. I have also been in touch with some of my contacts." He pokes his tablet and the large screen on the wall flares to life. Mei, you immediately recognize Vice Admiral Adeline Amir, the Commander of Psi Corps.

"Ensign Mei, Mr. Church, Ms. Dai, Ms. Cribbage, Ms. Lourdes," she begins, "Good afternoon."
    I offer Zoo and Dinah an ear, separately and together, about their woes. I even do a little math on the side to see what I could afford to scrape together to help. Once I take out maintenance for my cybernetics, it isn't much. I owe my soul to the company store.

Sung losing his guy's a bummer. He was frakking hot, and sounded like a really sweet guy, too. I make sure I get to see Boots' family. His sister is so pretty. I mean, not like that. I'm... she's pretty, ok?

When Church makes his speech, I'm tempted. Especially when he's talking to Dai, Dinah, me and Mei. That's one hell of a team. And my girlfriend. Don't forget my girlfriend. I'm already doing the math in my head, figuring out how to help Dinah with my maintenance, what fabricators and replicators we'd need, that kind of shit. Then a Psi Ops Admiral comes on the screen, and I'm floored. I stand at attention, reflexively. I don't salute. This is getting interesting.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I'm a little wooden when I say this. I'm only drinking water, but I toast the empty seat next to me. "I did not know Su Gaumata very long. But in our short time together, I admired zir dedication to science. Ze was brilliant and fascinating. Zir death is a loss for us all. I truly wish that things... had gone differently." I swallow, not looking at anyone, carefully composed but still muted and clearly sad.

It's my fault.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

Lieutenant Tylar Archmage Station, L2 Dear Lt. Tylar, I hope that this note finds you and your family well. I know it's been some time. My first command mission was certainly unforgettable. Your formal class and informal advice really helped me get through some rough patches, and I'm really just writing to thank you for your wisdom. I hope we could catch up the next time I'm in cislunar space. Sincerely, Taban Mei Class of ████ PS: Yes, you owe me quite a few 'I told you sos.' :)
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

Ensign Sladek DSS Fortitude Galen, Hope yours is going better than mine. Write when you can. Mei
    [Taban Mei]

Going back and forth with Command on all the debriefing and paperwork paperwork paperwork, right when I'm about to jettison my tablet through the airlock, I finally see the most recent note from my secret admirer. I do a little number crunching in my head and keep coming up with the same answer. It's not Ksenia. Sanchez is my first thought, because we were on the ground together. Of course, I consider Church, or Dai, or Lourdes. But I keep coming up empty. I chew on a stylus, thinking. I'm not going to try my psi. No.

These notes take a different tenor now that Ksenia and I... are something. Something wonderful. I don't want to keep secrets from Ksenia. But I also don't want to show her these notes.

And I don't see another note. After.

I am not looking forward to Psi Ops debrief.
    [Taban Mei]

I'm waving to Sanchez' family, telling his mamacita that he did a good job. He has so many relatives! Is this what a family's like? I don't feel anything, but I should. It's a little like not knowing about color if you're blind. I wave and smile anyway to Marisol and Mariana; to Abel, John Paul and Jude; to little Luca, They piped in George, Joe, and Suzanna. I can't keep them straight.

I'm sharing a beer with Sung. Just talking. And just one beer. I can't help but worry about my own budding relationship with Ksenia. But I keep up the face for him.

I have no idea how to help Dai and Lourdes. I promise that I'll look at regs to see if there's a loophole for some sort of compensation. I secretly work on a sketch of the Jane to give them. I hope it will help and I fear it won't.

I share a silent workout with Church. It's a little awkward and I stop trying to engage him. I listen to privates music instead and I miss his leaving while I'm in the zone. I feel like I missed doing the right thing.
    [Taban Mei]

I'm curious to hear what Church has to say. I'm a little worried about him and I'm definitely worried about the M-T cargo we have.

I have the faintest of frowns. A job? I already have a career.

When Amir shows up on comms, I move from parade rest to full attention, with a smart salute. I feel Ksenia looking at me, but I can't make her expression out. I am not going to make goo-goo eyes at her in front of Amir! "Admiral Amir," I say. I check her local time on the feed and continue, "Good morning." I'll drop my salute when it's time.
  • Amir smiles. "At ease, Ensign. And, ah, Ms. Cribbage." Her face turns serious. "Ensign Mei, I apologize in advance for speaking to you as a superior in the presence of civilians. I hope you will understand, and forgive me, once I finish."

She clears her throat. "Ensign Mei, you present an interesting challenge for Psi Corps. Your abilities are difficult to evaluate and significantly different from what I will call, with some sense of irony, 'normal' for us. Your... shall we call it a partnership? with the alien entity you call Cora is unique, and that makes it hard to assign you to a traditional post within the Corps. With Ezekiel's help, we have arrived at a possible solution."

Church smiles a tired smile.

"Psi Corps has contracted the exclusive services of the AdAstra corporation as field support. I want to make it clear to all of you, even you, Ensign Mei, that you have a choice in what is about to happen. This is not impressment, for you civilians, nor is it an order yet for you, Taban. I will pause for a moment for you to review what you will find on your tablets."
    We could all work together? Shit, that sounds damn good. I'm checking the tablet as quick as I can. I glance at the rest to see their reaction, too. Especially Mei.
    [Taban Mei]

I smile politely, pleased that the Admiral of the Psi Corps is aware of me.

I call up the latest squirt on my tablet, and I can't stop thinking of my last eyes only orders and wondering what I'm going to find this time. Amir says it's not "yet" an order.

I see Ksenia is glancing at me and the tenor of my smile changes a few notes. Some orders are a pleasure to carry out.
  • Four tablets ping at once.

Dai and Lourdes read, at first apprehensively, then with increasing sounds of interest and even excitement.

Mei, you receive a message headed Conditional Orders
    Ensign Taban Mei, upon acknowledging acceptance of these orders, you are hereby assigned to the independent ship Stalker Jane as an independent operative of Psi Corps, reporting directly to Psi Corps Chief of Operations Captain Vincent Darzi, coordinating with the AdAstra corporation. Your missions will be covert, deniable and generally without direct support from Headquarters. Please acknowledge acceptance by thumbing the imprint.

Ksenia, your message is headed Provisional Commission
    Ksenia Cribbage, by the authority of Kennet Daum, President of the Grand Council of the Polity of Systems, you are hereby recalled to active duty and commissioned Ensign in the Psi Corps of the Space and Planetary Armed Services of the Polity. Upon acceptance of this commission, you are to report to the independent ship Stalker Jane as an independent operative of Psi Corps, reporting directly to Psi Corps Chief of Operations Captain Vincent Darzi, coordinating with the AdAstra corporation. Your missions will be covert, deniable and generally without direct support from Headquarters. Please acknowledge acceptance by thumbing the imprint.
  • edited August 2014
    I'm reading quick. Thoughts pop into my noggin, like "I'm back in!" "Frak, I'm an officer? Frak that!" "MEI! MEI! MEI" "Psi Corps? Shit. Shit, Mei!" "Thumb it! Now, thumb it now faster."

Which I do. I listen to myself well. Ensign Cribbage. That's frakked up. I'm grinning. I need to get that off my damn face. Boots is going to salute me. heh. I'm going to not entirely hate this.
    [Taban Mei]

Everyone seems very excited at these offers... My fingertip traces the AdAstra logo thoughtfully. I almost can't believe that I would be reporting to COO Darzi himself. My thumb hovers over the accept. "Covert and deniable" could get very messy and very black indeed. My eyes keep flicking to that juicy and tempting word "independent."

I try to let on that I'm just curious, and ask, "Mister Church? What is the mission statement of AdAstra corporation?" I don't want to ruin the mood, but the nature of the work is paramount.
  • edited August 2014
    Church chuckles, Mei, and so does Admiral Amir. "On paper? AdAstra Support Services, Inc. is among the leading Polity government and private sector contractors providing operations, maintenance, engineering support, technical assistance and logistics. We provide our clients with solutions designed to execute their mission effectively. Our priority is to provide safe, efficient and rapid solutions for our government and private sector clients."

"In fact," Admiral Amir adds, "Ezekiel has offered us his expertise and connections as an operational front company. Rest assured. I am satisfied that AdAstra's mission is Psi Corps' mission."
    [Taban Mei]

I keep my eyes steady and level on Admiral Amir's. I'm a little anxious under her scrutiny, and I'm very well aware that it's scrutiny. Without blinking, without looking, I thumb the accept.
  • Once all four of you have thumbed the acceptance (and yes, you have, Dai and Lourdes were quick to do so), Admiral Amir smiles and disappears. Church beams tiredly around the table. "So..." He seems almost shy as he continues, and years melt off him. "...go team?"
    [Taban Mei]

Agreeably, "Ad astra, Mr. Church." I glance at Ksenia, Dai, and Lourdes to see their reaction.

My mouth quirks. No Sung, no Sanchez, no Gaumata. Chuch has a regular harem here.
  • edited August 2014
    I coughed. There was a moment where something got in my throat or something. I'm sure everyone was caught up in the excitement and they mis-remember it.

I certainly didn't squeal. Or jump up excitedly. Those things didn't happen.

To Mei I nodded curtly, then to my new crewmates. Lastly to Church.

Squealing? Did. Not. Happen.
    [Taban Mei]

I turn my head to Ksenia. I give her a look. Her smiling is infectious.
  • Dai and Lourdes speak over each other, but it's Zoo that finally gets it out. "You're paying off the loan? For a five-year exclusive contract? Mr. Church, as long as you don't tell me how to drive the boat, I'm yours to command." Lourdes adds, "And the mods? An exterior shuttle dock? I'm with Zoo."
  • edited August 2014
    The idea of Dai being mine to command sounds interesting...
    [Taban Mei]

I whip my face to Lourdes and I'm speaking before I'm done moving. "A shuttle?! What kind of shuttle?"

Ahem.

• Mei, Dinah turns her tablet toward you and shows you the specs. It's a full-on combat capable shuttle, but camouflaged as a civilian landing vehicle. A full sensor suite, grav-compensation, weaponry suite that rivals a tank, but hidden until needed. It's a dream ride, really. A hot-rod with teeth.
    [Taban Mei]

I whistle appreciatively. "She looks pretty and she's got it where it counts!" I'm still reading the specs.
  • And so it goes. The two weeks back to the orbital fly past in a further flurry of paperwork and preparation. Zoo and Dinah become the first employees of AdAstra. Church arranges for delivery of Melzer-Togawa's equipment back to the proper places. Sanchez and Sung receive orders: Sanchez to his new unit at the Titan base and Sung to HQ for more "celebrity" duty.

Mei, Ksenia, why don't you each tell us about a moment you have with Sanchez and one you have with Sung, during these last two weeks together.
  • edited August 2014
    Boots and I don't talk about, you know, emotions and shit. Well, not when we're sober. So, about a week out from home, I brought a bottle of pure grain alcohol along for a visit and we sat down to play cards and drink until we got stupid. I let him tell me about frakking Dinah, and his family, being out of touch for a year, all the stuff weighing on him.

Me? Well, after the eight shot, I mentioned Mei. And after the ninth, I mentioned that she loved me. I let it drop that I loved her back when he took the next hand. Actually, I admitted to loving more than her back, but that part's a little fuzzy. I was really drunk, which was AWESOME! Yay Dinah and her bypass of my inhibitors. I can actually choose to be poisoned now.

We talked about Basic Training, caught up on our lives, all the stuff I'd been meaning to do. It was great. Really great.
    [Taban Mei]

I've had a good rapport with Sung this mission. Sanchez, not so much. We just never clicked and I'm not sure why. A couple days after the call with his family, I got the idea. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed like the kind thing to do, and to leave a good impression before they RTB.

It takes me a couple evenings of reviewing the videologs in lieu of memory or model ( itself nice relief from the bureaucracy), but I finally have an acceptable charcoal portrait of clan Sanchez. All dozen of them, smiling out from the page. I skipped one morning workout and knocked on their berth when I knew Sung had just started. I wanted the moment to connect with Sanchez alone.

I'm glad I did; There were many hugs and a few tears shed.
  • edited August 2014
    As the Stalker Jane approaches the orbital, ready to dock for refitting and upgrades, you look out at the round blue ball of Earth, familiar and yet strange. Your connections are to organizations and individuals, not this old home and place of origin. A very different chapter is opening for you, but old chapters never really close, do they?

Mei, minutes before docking, your tablet chimes again. You've set up a special alert tone for your "secret admirer," so you immediately know. Please go here.

---END SESSION---