[BtI] Date 3, Turn 2 (Active Player=Rich)

edited August 2014 in PnR
OOC: We start with 6 Attraction this date. We have 5 Compatibilities: "At home on the water," "Patience and Honesty," "We love new gadgets," "Different histories, shared understanding," and "Learning what turns us on."

Comments

• The cookout progresses on, and Lili is a pure darling. She sits between us as we eat. The food is delicious, so I compliment your dad on his grilling expertise, which makes him blush a little. Seriously, it's almost as adorable as Lili. Okay, not quite, but it's cute.

The yinjas are chatty, telling us we "make a great couple", telling you how great you look, complimenting my dress. It's all fawning, and a veiled attempt at throwing in as many "I told you so'a" as they can. I smile and chuckle at their self-congratulations and even offer up a heartfelt thank you to them for introducing us. That leads to me telling your dad the story of our first date. I mention the odd first moments and how nervous I was around someone as creative and talented, not to mention pretty, as you. I talk about the show, and the walk on the boardwalk, including your sketch. I whip out my Aquos to show the picture I carry of it. Of course it's on my boat. Framed. You need to sign it.

Being one whole person away from you is a tiny torture, but I endure it by showing Lili my new demo Aquos phone, including the video of the two of you singing. It's incredibly cute because she sings along with herself, and gets excited enough to finish her shrimp and run off to get the ukes for a curtain call.

When she gives us a moment, I scoot over to say, "When we get time alone, there's something I wanted to talk to you about. Nothing bad. Mostly good." Then Lili's back again, ukes in hand. I ask the two of you, "Do you know any other songs?"
  • edited August 2014

You get all the Attraction. You're being so sweet with Lili and Dad.

I feel a flutter when you say you want to have a talk. Mostly good? What does that mean? Then Typhoon Lili is back, ukuleles in tow. "All right, Liliʻuokalani. One more song, and then I think it's bedtime for you. Your tutu's taking you to breakfast and the Children's Museum tomorrow, so it's going to be another big day. What do you want to play?"

Lili whispers into my ear and I smile as we settle ourselves. We launch into a jaunty little strum, and we both start belting out "Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today!" It's a crowd-pleaser, and Jim actually whistles as everyone claps. Lili stands up and takes a dramatic bow. Little ham. I give her a high-five (well, high for her) and then follow up on what I said before we played.

"I'm going to take this shrinking violet downstairs and get her teeth brushed so she can go to sleep. I'm sure you can all amuse yourselves for a minute. Do save me a glass of wine, please."

I don't turn to look at you when we get to the door, Min, but darned if I didn't want to.
    The bananas song is great fun, and I clap and hum along. You two are so cute together. It makes my heart melt. I imagine how I'd fit with you. I mean, both of you. Could I help? Would I be in the way? I'm already looking past the me and you and wondering about the future. I know, it's more than a little presumptive. I just hope you don't think I'm some psycho who assumed too much.

I'm pretty sure we're progressing. Right? I just met your family. Shit, I'm in new territory here. I wish I could to you about... you. Me and you. Without actually talking to you about us. Like, if I could clone you, and talk to Alani Dos about our relationship and she could calm me down about things.

You head away to put Lili to bed and I wave to her and watch you go. In moments, Bonnie's chatting me up, and I hope you forgive me later, but I just spill. I tell her how close I feel to you, and how excited I am about Lili, and meeting your dad. Your dad's sharing beers with Jim and watching the skyline, chatting. Bonnie is so sweet, rubbing my back and telling me she knows we're good together. It's a big help.

I'm glad you missed it. I'm rarely too emotional, so when it hits me, it takes me a little bit to cope. I didn't break down crying or anything, but I'm nervous, and babbling. Not in your cute way.

After twenty minutes (I timed it), you come back up. I excuse myself from Bonnie, and she's cool about it, then come over. "Hey. Can we chat now?"
  • edited August 2014

I try not to show my worry, but I'm sure you've figured out by now that I simply don't have a poker face. It takes me a minute to decide where I want to have this conversation. Do I take you to my favorite spot, where the cable-sails of the bridge are perfectly framed behind the steeple of a church? If you're about to hurt me, maybe I don't want that memory in that spot.

In the end, I just head over to perch on the little bench between two potted Meyer lemon trees. I sit on the corner, facing in towards you. And I wait.
    I realize right off that you're worried, and it makes me feel a little better because I'm worried. Then, I wonder if you think this is a break-up speech? Wow, Alani, you think I'd do that after making out with you and eating your dad's awesome food and right in front of the yinjas?

Probably I should be a little mad that you don't trust me, but really, I'm just sad that you're hurt, so as soon as we sit down, I put a hand on your arm, soft, gentle, assuring, "Alani. This conversation will be but-less." I pause, hoping this takes you a little off guard so maybe you'll listen.

"I'm going to tell you some stuff, and it's good, well, from my point-of-view." I start rattling this off and I know I'm rambling a little. "Anyways, there's no 'but this' or 'but that'. There's no gotcha, or sucker punch. Cool?"
  • edited August 2014

I smile a little at "but-less," and my shoulders relax a little. "I trust you, Min. Please tell me some stuff." And even if my eyes are still a little tight, I do trust you, and I'm ready to listen.

Min, you're trying to make me feel more comfortable, and I appreciate that. Have a bonus die.
    "So, the book's testing well." I start off, trying to assure you this is a good thing. "And with my advance, plus the residuals from sales, plus the money I saved down in Florida, I'm thinking about, uhm, taking some time off from freelancing." I move my hand from stroking your arm to touching the back of your hand, and then slipping it around to hold your hand, pressing my palm against yours, entwining our fingers. "Which means, that well, I'll be around more. If that's okay."

I look up at you with hopeful eyes.
  • edited August 2014

Well, I'm sure there was a better way to approach that, one that didn't start with "Can we chat?" and "Mostly good," but I forgive you as I hear your words and see hope in your eyes that mirrors the hope in my heart. "Yes. That's okay. It's really very okay, Min." I'm aware that the other three people on the roof are conspicuously not looking in our direction, but it wouldn't matter right now. I give you a sweet, tender kiss.

"Listen, as long as we're saying things, I want a turn, too. I don't want to scare you or anything, but you should know, Min." I pause. It's not meant to be dramatic, but I have this lump in my throat and I have to swallow it down before I continue. "Three dates, right? But so much time between to think and dream and worry. What I need to say is... I'm all in, Min. I can't help it, and it's not your responsibility, but I'm betting everything I have on this hand. On you."

And, oh yes, you do get another bonus die.

All the tension over the night, working up to this piece of news, it just drains out when you kiss me, Alani. I get what probably looks like a dopey smile as I look at you. It lasts for a sentence, maybe two as you begin your confession.

But the smile slips into a more serious expression as you confess your feelings. I'll admit, there's a part of my brain, the fearful part, it starts screaming at me that this is too risky. It tells me that you're impulsive and maybe even clingy and I should take it slow. That worry part might be right, you know.

One look into your eyes and the voice becomes suddenly so small. So tiny and drowned in the volumes of emotion, the tide of feelings, the tsunami of our few short months and the sheer unlikely awesome power of...

"I love you, Alani." There. There, I beat you, you impulsive, crazy lady. I said it first and I hope I can hold it over your head fifty years from now. I really do.
  • Take that third die while some of us recover, and roll, roll, roll...
  • Attraction: (Rolled: 6d6. Rolls: 3, 1, 5, 1, 5, 2. Total: 17)
    Bonus: (Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 5, 5, 5. Total: 15)
  • Min, you may be a little confused when I jump off the bench, but I can't help it. I run over to hug Jim, then Bonnie, and shout as loud as I can, "I LOVE YINJAS, AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT! I'M GOING TO MAKE A FREAKING T-SHIRT!" And then I run back and I'm pulling you off the bench and we're kissing and it feels like there should be fireworks going off and some ridiculous Hollywood choir singing in the background and I haven't said it yet and "I love you!"

I want to go downstairs and wake Lili and take us out for ice cream. I want to go downstairs and wake Lili and take her to Jim and Bonnie's and ravish the hell out of you.

I want to tell Mom it really did work out, in the end. That she was right. I take your hand and walk over to the table where Lili's ukulele case is still lying. I flip it open and take the hibiscus in my hand, ratty and faded after so many years. I smile at you as I tuck it behind my ear, tears once again in my eyes.

You may not notice, in the heat of the moment, and I can't see much through the mist of emotion, but I'm pretty sure that Dad's crying, too.
  • We have one last Compatibility: "Patience and Honesty for the Win." We also have some questions to answer in a new, post-date thread.