[BtI] What happens after...

edited August 2014 in PnR
So, we've got 6 Compatibilities: "At home on the water," "Patience and Honesty," "We love new gadgets," "Different histories, shared understanding," "Learning what turns us on," and "Patience and Honesty for the Win." We also have 5 Permanent Attraction and one to roll for. After the Third Date, we roll our total Attraction (6) + 1 die for each Compatibility (6) and in our case, if even one comes up a success we will have our 6th level of Permanent Attraction.

We each need to answer a few questions, as well, individually:
  • Do they stay together after the third Date?
  • When did your character fall in love with the other?
  • What are the long-term chances for this relationship?
Since I'm pretty sure we're in general agreement on the 1st and 3rd questions, and you've answered the second in-post, let's add something else. Why don't we both narrate one challenge or hardship from the future and one awesome moment? Four more quick posts? Plus one each for the questions?

Comments

• I'll roll half the dice for our "Permanent Attraction."

(Rolled: 6d6. Rolls: 5, 6, 4, 3, 1, 5. Total: 24)
  • Here's the other half:

(Rolled: 6d6. Rolls: 1, 5, 6, 1, 3, 4. Total: 20)
    1. Do they stay together after the third Date?
    2. When did your character fall in love with the other?
    3. What are the long-term chances for this relationship?
    1. I think it's pretty clear that these two awesome women stay together.

2. Alani fell in love with Min twice. The first time was when she asked Min to take the lead in the tango-on-the-boat. Min was so willing to try, and tried so willingly to please. The second time was when she encouraged Lili to go get the ukuleles, remembering what Alani had mentioned earlier.

3. It's a hard road, of course, being gay in the south, one of them a single mother, and there are definitely shoals to avoid, but they're sailing on. I believe they make it for the long-haul.
  • edited August 2014
    1. Do they stay together after the third Date?
    2. When did your character fall in love with the other?
    3. What are the long-term chances for this relationship?
    1. Hell yes! Min took three months off and spent an inordinate amount of time at Alani's. When she went back to freelancing, she cut back on travel. Luckily, she was able to do some guest spots on TWIT and The Verge to keep her profile up. She made it work.

2. Watching Alani and Lili play the ukuleles together, everything fell into place for Min. She realized Alani was everything she was looking for but had been afraid to hope. Alani was her entire world, and Lili was the wonderful daughter she could never have. It was too perfect.

3. The long-term chances are good. Min's not a risk taker, but when she makes a commitment, she sticks to it. She's fully committed to Alani. Plus, there's that whole "I said I love you first" thing. She doesn't want to give that up.
  • The Challenge:

Min and Alani had been practically inseparable for three wonderful years. Precocious Lili grew into a delightful tween girl. Of course, taking after her mother and being adorable, she caught the eye of many little boys, which pleased Lili greatly.

Alani had been in Toronto helping with a big opening of Mac... the Scottish Play, and Min had insisted on taking care of Lili. This included a school fund raiser on the weekend. Min helped Lili pick out a great outfit, and dressed up for the occasion herself.

Once there, Lili happily introduced Min as her "second mommy". This took Min by complete surprise, she wasn't officially anything for Lili, or even Alani. It drew several odd looks from parents, mothers and fathers who eyed Min and subtly ignored her.

Despite Min's trepidation about public displays of affection, the fact that she was still "in the closet" with her own family, the love and acceptance of Alani and Lili finally broke a wall in her heart. Min paid no attention to the parents who gave her the cold shoulder, and played ukulele with Lili at the little talent show. They came in third for raising the most money.... then Min donated enough for them to win.

The next week, when Alani returned home, Min had already purchased plane tickets for all three of them, to her hometown. Min introduced her lover Alani to her family as soon as they arrived.
  • Lili's thirteen, and we're sitting together in the waiting room at Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital. Lili's kidney has arrived, we saw the courier deliver the dry ice packed cooler to the OR.

Our hands are clenched together as we wait. For three hours, we sit in the uncomfortable industrial chairs, and you've been so kind, getting coffee and chocolate from the machines, keeping your hand on my shoulder or back or hand.

For a few minutes, I fall asleep on your shoulder, the first time I've slept since sweet Lili was admitted. This renal failure crept on us, starting with one of those random "kid in school" infections. The fever's been going for weeks. You've been trying to comfort me, but I see the worry in your eyes as well.

Finally, after three and a half hours, the surgeon comes out. "Ms. McDermott? The surgery was successful. Lili has a new kidney. She should be awake in a few hours. You may want to get some sleep so you can be there for her when she wakes up."
  • One Awesome Moment:

"Alani McDermott," I began, my voice full of emotion. There are so many people here! Your theater folk, from actors to seamstresses, directors, producers, so many famous Broadway people. Plus, a shocking number of my tech gurus, bloggers, YouTubers and podcasters that I've worked with, from all over. Most of them schlepped their asses up to New York for this. I'm humbled. The docks are so beautiful today, all decorations that you made or designed are perfect. Everything. everything is just perfect, Alani.

It takes a second to swallow the lump in my throat, but I manage. My voice cracks a little before I continue, "Alani McDermott, the last six years have been the best in my entire life. I cannot believe how lucky I was to have you welcome me into your family, into your arms. I know I have the yinjas to thank for this. And, yet again, let me publicly thank them." I look over to the front row, where they're standing beside your dad. Your dad who gave you away. Oh God, I'm about to cry. I turn back to you, looking for strength to keep talking. I need to say this, Alani. "I love you now as much as the duet you and Lili played for me on the rooftop during our third date. You are my heart and my soul. Your love has given me comfort and joy, every day. You gave me the courage to come out to my own family, and their acceptance and love has changed my life. I can't... it's just so awesome, Alani. You're so awesome." Then I'm sniffing, and dammit, I want to make it through this. I read this stupid speech like a hundred times! I know it by heart, but every word is so hard to force out of my mouth, I'm so overcome with the moment. I just want to hug you.

With trembling hands, I take yours in mine. "I'd hoped we could do this on our docks. I wanted to wait for this moment until the good people of South Carolina came to their senses. But after Lili's kidney transplant, I realized I couldn't handle the thought of not being yours, of not being there for you in every capacity I'm able." I reach over, to the pillow Lili is holding for the both of us, pick up your gorgeous ring, and slip it onto your dainty finger, with just a little shaky hands.

"With this ring, I thee wed."
  • One Awesome Moment:

It's another hot, sultry August Sunday, much like the one 20 years ago when we first met. We're in the hospital again, you and me in the waiting room, and Lili in a bed. Finally, (finally!) Josh comes out to find us, beaming like an idiot. "Would you two lovely ladies like to meet your grandson?"

We're so intent on getting to the delivery room that we actually trip over each other getting out of our chairs. We get there, though, and there she is. Our little girl, 28 now and fulfilling all the promise of beauty and grace she had when you first met her. And she is ours, South Carolina finally came to their collective senses six years ago and our New York marriage is recognized by the state. She's lying on her bed with her hair bedraggled and limp, but she's never looked more beautiful than now. She turns the bundle in her arms to face us, and there he is. Michael Kamehameha Shelton. Wrinkled and red with that old man look that babies have, but precious and beautiful all the same.

I close my eyes, memorizing this moment. The feel of your hand in mine, Josh's beaming smile and Lili's tired, contented one, little Michael's scrunched up face, the threadbare scrap of cloth and wire on the side table that no longer even looks like a hibiscus, even the sharp angular shadows cast by the fluorescent lights. I know you're recording everything, but this memory, this moment that I've graven on a stone tablet for safe-keeping, it's mine, and it goes into the chest of hope and love that I started building when you first tasted bread pudding off my spoon.