[In and Out] Gha'sulayam's Lair (1.7)

edited September 2014 in PnR

Twilight Solstice

Abaddon, you and Jace have followed the map's instructions to the indicated spot, which turned out to be an area of blank stone on the side of a mountain. The door stands open behind you now, just a sally port in the middle of what is revealed to be a great stone gate. Was it you or Jace that found the keyhole?

Stretching ahead of you is the great entry chamber of Gha'sulayam's lair. Lit only by the shaft of sun from your entryway, you cannot see its end in any direction, and details beyond the light of Jace's stiff are just hints until they fade into the blackness.

Jace

"Wow. Makes you feel small, right? Did you notice that subtle thing they did with the ambient sound to make everything feel farther away?"

Jace gestures, and a ball of light flies out from her staff. It grows and grows, illuminating tiered cavern walls and a great monolith rising from the floor about a hundred yards ahead.

"Shall we?"

What do you do?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    I found the keyhole, but she was right there. She would've found it, we both know that.

As we're walking into the darkness, side-by-side, I look around, "Eve outdid herself. Said she hand coded this? So awesome. I hope they crib this for the new releases."

She lights the place up, and I get an even more impressive view. I look all around, then to her, "It's so beautiful. Of course, not as nice as seeing you with... the goddess. Wish my toon met your high standards."
  • Twilight Solstice

If you had haptic feedback in your underpants (now there's an idea!), you would feel the swat Jace gives your ass. As it is, though, you can only see it. "It's not your looks, Abby, it's the way you smell." This seems to amuse her greatly.

You reach the monolith.

Monolith

It is carved with hundreds of figures, beings of all the sentient races twined together, twisting around each other. The column goes up and up, an enigmatic monument.

"That... is a little disturbing."

• I stare at the monument, answering idly, "Unity? Or a warning of the players fighting to climb up? I wonder...."
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace makes a sound, then moves closer to the column, until her nose almost touches it. "Abby, come here, close. They're moving. Really slow, but moving."

As you step to Jace, you can see it's true. The figures are slowly moving, some climbing up and some down, some moving around the circumference of the column in circles and spirals, some seemingly emerging from the interior of the stone to join the procession.

"What do you think we should do, Trev... uh, Abby? I've got nothing."

"Is Trev okay? For me, it's Reggie, by the way, not Gina."

• "I wonder if the center is something? Maybe I should try and reach inside..." I'm looking close. Do not want to stick a hand in there to take HP damage, or have it disabled.

When she goes to voice chat and asks about names, I respond without thinking, "Trev's great. I've always hated Abby." Then I hastily add, "Reggie's a kickass nickname. Much better than Gina."
  • Twilight Solstice

"My Gran's the only one that calls me Gina, face to face. I put up with it. Oh, by the way, I think they're planning on some sort of leaderboard, so since you've tagged the first few clues, you should be the one to finish things on each quest. I'll share the risks, of course, but they're going to track individually and I don't have the first few tags."

Jace puts her hand on the column and pushes. Nothing happens.

• "Okay, I'll get the Last Touch on each quest and drop. And I swear we're partners. I like you, Reggie, I'd never screw you over."

I'll check the column over with my "rogue" senses. Something should light up, or trigger, if there's a trap or mechanism. I mean, well, it should.

• Twilight Solstice

You engage your "Rogue Senses" and a green outline appears around one of the figures glacially climbing the pillar, at about your eye height. Not far above it, the carving loses definition, becomes indistinct. The outlined bit looks very much like this:

Abaddon Figure

What do you do?

• "Look! Jace, it's me!" I point to the figure, then I'm scaling the column. I'm going to see if what looks like me is me.
  • Twilight Solstice

You scale up a few feet so you can look closely. It is definitely you, Abaddon, down to the mask and the little customizations you've made.

• What is it doing? What happens when I touch him?
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

Abaddon, the figure that is you just keeps crawling up, slowly, slowly, and then pauses. Nothing happens when you touch it, but you do notice that a small stone image of your nemesis (is that fair, Abaddon, is he your nemesis?), Roddik, is crawling along near yours, maybe a half-a-head above.

Jace asks, "What's up? What do you see?"

• "I see myself. And Roddik, too. And he's ahead of me." I'll crawl up onto the column itself, see if I can find the path. This is hella funky.

"Jace, can you search Lore for this?"
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

"Umm, Trev? No lore, but maybe... I think it might be... wait a minute."

There's a long moment where you're watching the slow, tiny movements of the little stone figures before you.

"I think this is the leaderboard, Trev. You're saying Roddik is just above you? Based on the bragging on their boards, he's a chamber ahead. They didn't post any useful spoilers, though, dammit. And don't ask me how I'm looking at their clan board."

• edited September 2014
    "Wonder if we could keep an eye on this to stay ahead of folks. Can you spot any toons way ahead of Roddik and me that you recognize?"

Is there anything else in this cavern? A leaderboard is nice, but I bet there's something else. This feels almost like a distraction. While Jace is peeking at the column, I'm skulking about.

Stupid Roddik. I'd have to say yes, he's my nemesis.
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

Abaddon, there two obvious exits from the great chamber, and you find a small, locked chest tucked away in a nook along one of the walls. You suspect that you haven't yet revealed all the secrets this cavernous chamber holds, though. And you know that Roddik is somewhere just ahead of you, perhaps making progress at this very moment.

Why don't you give me a Check to see how quickly you find whatever there is to find? If you hit a 9, it will take thirty minutes of thorough searching. Less than 9, and you'll have to do something else and try again later. For every 1 above 9 that you roll, subtract 5 minutes from the time it will take.

• Skill check (plus Acute Senses):
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 12)
  • Twilight Solstice

Abaddon, Jace continues examining the column and the figures on it, muttering to herself as she checks boards and chat and compares what she finds to the carvings. You search the room with all your senses, alert for wind currents and changing echoes as well as shadows and light and texture. After about fifteen minutes you locate what you suspected all along must be here: a hidden door that matches the stone around it, only revealed by the thinnest of cracks and a hollow tone when you rap your knuckles against it.

You've got a locked chest, a hidden door, and a sexy elf as a companion. What more could a Rogue ask for?

What do you do?

• I'm stalking over to the chest, rubbing my fingers and checking my macros for just this sort of thing. "I'm going to open this chest, Jace. Then, I've got something to show you."

I'll check for traps, then see to that lock.
  • Twilight Solstice

You check the chest over carefully, focusing on the hinges and the lock itself. Leaning close, you notice a series of tiny pinprick holes surrounding the lock and a somewhat larger one hidden in the mouth of the face carved on the chest's lid. It would seem to be some combination of a needle trap and gas or acid. Nasty indeed.

That trap looks nasty. Let's have another roll, this time with a target of 14. Failure means you trigger the trap.

• (Rolled: 2d8+7 . Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 16)
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace watches from a safe distance as you apply your skills and tools to the complex trap mechanism, defeating it in less than a minute. Once you're certain that the trap is disarmed, it is a matter of mere seconds to unlock the chest and open it. This is what you find:

Easter Egg

Jace chuckles.

• I'll check it, does it open? Are there command words for it? Is it egg-sized or bigger?
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

Abaddon, the egg is about the size of your hand. There is a groove in the center, and it looks as if it should be openable but the "Open" command is grayed out. After a minute, Jace asks, "Can I take a look?" When you hand it over, she looks closely at it. "Nothing, but I took some good caps. Maybe it's another research thing, I'll look later." She gives you back the egg.

Chuckling again, she says, "Still, an actual Easter egg. Cute."

Hey, by the way. Are you working Tuesday night? It would be great if I could get a ride from the airport. No pressure, though. I can get someone from the Vet School to pick me up or take a cab.

• I hand her the egg, share a laugh with her,"Yeah... that's pretty clever. Eve continues to impress."

I look over the map and to Jace, "Where to next?"

I can switch schedules, I think. If nothign else, Jessi owes me. "I can pick you up, just message me the flight details and I'll be there. No jokes about my car, though. Want to grab some supper or something?"
  • Twilight Solstice

"Didn't you say you had something to show me, big boy?"

• I shake my head, "Oh yeah... secret door. Sorry, got ahead of myself." I show her what I found, pry it open.
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

After walking carefully down the dank corridor for some time, you pause as you hear an ensemble of growls and snarls from ahead. There, in a chamber slightly wider than the passageway you're in, are six ghouls, fighting among themselves.

Ghoul

Abaddon, even you would have trouble sneaking through without notice, and Jace almost certainly doesn't stand a chance. What do you do?

• We fight!

I draw my twin swords, look to Jace, give her the nod. She'll blast, I'll tank.
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

You and Jace have fought side by side more than once. I'll lay down some cover. You do your thing. She steps out so she has line of sight, the ghouls still occupied with their squabble over... oh. A dead body. Of course.

Go ahead and roll your attack, let's see what happens!

• I come in quick and quiet, hoping to get surprise on a couple and take them down before the others can react. This is going to be interesting.

Attack: (Rolled: 1d20+11. Rolls: 12. Total: 23)

(damage if I connect)
    (Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 1. Total: 3)

Fray die: (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)
  • Jace Roll

(Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

• Ghouls Roll

First round, you're the one in range, so all of these are against Abaddon. Ghouls have a +2 Attack bonus.

Ghoul 1: (now 1hd left)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 12. Total: 18)|Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 11. Total: 17)|Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 5. Total: 7)
    Potential Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

Ghoul 2:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 16. Total: 22)|Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 13. Total: 19)|Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 4. Total: 6)
    Potential Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)

Ghoul 3:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 16. Total: 22)|Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 19. Total: 25)|Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 3. Total: 5)
    Potential Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

Ghoul 4:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 7. Total: 13)|Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 2. Total: 8)|Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 3. Total: 5)
    Potential Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

Ghoul 5:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 19. Total: 25)|Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 19. Total: 25)|Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 6. Total: 8)
    Potential Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

Ghoul 6:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 14. Total: 20)|Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 13. Total: 19)|Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 3. Total: 5)
    Potential Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)|(Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

• Twilight Solstice

You leap into the midst of the clutch of ghouls, lashing out with your dual blades. You damage one of the creatures, but still wind up in the midst of a nest of ghouls. Jace's magical bolt goes wide.

Fuuuuuuck! Did you not sacrifice your goats this week? I'm heading in.

She moves in, hands glowing with arcane power.

Ouch! That first exchange didn't go so well, but you've scored on one. Let's see your next roll, Abaddon.

• "Wait, I thought that was your job, since you're my elf and all. heh. Shit, this is not supposed to be this tough. Wonder if there's a glitch in the code. I'm sure it was just a borked exchange, Reggie."
  • Round Two:

Attack: (Rolled: 1d20+11. Rolls: 2. Total: 13)

(damage if I connect): (Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 1. Total: 3)

Fray die: (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
  • [!tsol]

A flick of your left hand finishes off the first ghoul. Jace concentrates and pushes out from her glowing hands, sending a beam into the fray.

(Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

• Ghouls Roll

Ghoul 1: dead

Attacking Abaddon:

Ghoul 2:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 15. Total: 21)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 5. Total: 11)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)
    Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 4. Total: 6)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

Ghoul 3:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 19. Total: 25)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 3. Total: 9)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
    Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 3. Total: 5)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

Ghoul 4:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 11. Total: 17)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 13. Total: 19)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
    Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 4. Total: 6)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

Attacking Jace:

Ghoul 5:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 17. Total: 23)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 18. Total: 24)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
    Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 4. Total: 6)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

Ghoul 6:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 2. Total: 8)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 11. Total: 17)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Bite: (Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 5. Total: 7)|Damage: (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)

• Round Three:

Attack: (Rolled: 1d20+11. Rolls: 5. Total: 16)

(damage if I connect): (Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 8. Total: 10)

Fray die: (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
  • Jace (1d6+2)

(Rolled: 1d6+2. Rolls: 2. Total: 4)

• *Ghouls Roll*

Ghoul 1: *dead*
    Ghoul 2: *dead*

Attacking Abaddon:

Ghoul 3:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 11. Total: 17)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 19. Total: 25)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Tooth: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 9. Total: 15)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

Ghoul 4:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 20. Total: 26)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 20. Total: 26)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Tooth: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 3. Total: 9)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

Attacking Jace:

Ghoul 5:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 15. Total: 21)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 9. Total: 15)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)
    Tooth: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 3. Total: 9)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)

Ghoul 6:
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 16. Total: 22)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Claw: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 16. Total: 22)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Tooth: (Rolled: 1d20+6. Rolls: 4. Total: 10)|Damage (Rolled: 1d3. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace pushes her hands forward again, and this time a beam of light strikes one of the ghouls, who screams in pain and falls.

The ghouls lash out viciously, but when the exchange ends, two of their own are dead and you heroes are still standing.

I am going to roll a Morale Check against the Ghouls' Morale of 7. If my 2d6 match or beat 7, 1d4 of the Ghouls will run away.

• Morale Check

Morale: (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 10)
    Number that flee (if 7+): (Rolled: 1d4. Rolls: 4. Total: 4)

• "Jace, I'm getting low here!" I call over to her as they start to flee.
  • Twilight Solstice

The ghouls flee, leaving their two dead behind, as well as the nigh-stripped corpse they were fighting over. One of the ghouls is carrying a Ring of Warding, not terribly useful to either of you at this level, but sellable for one thousand gold.

The corpse is unrecognizable, definitely not an adventurer, and you wonder how this poor wretch came to be here.

You pause for a few minutes to catch your breath and allow your health counter to reach full before continuing down the passage.

Eventually, you reach a stone door decorated with a carved face:

Carved Face

What do you do?

• I put a hand in front of Jace, "Stay back. That's the Grimtooth goblin. It will have one hell of a trap." I move forward cautiously, fingers stretching out to feel breezes, looking for signs of previous victims, levels, gears, crevices. This will be tricky.
  • Twilight Solstice

As you check, thoroughly, thoroughly, you hear a chortle coming from above you. Jace says, "Uh, Abaddon? The door's laughing."

When you look back up, you see the goblin face in the door. It is, in fact, laughing. In a squeaky tone, it says, "Hilarious! The first adventurers to find me, and they're as clueless as n00bs!"

• "Ah, a trick door. Do you have a riddle for me, Grimtooth?" I'm still looking for traps, this is probably a distraction.
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

"Wow, that is Grimtooth. Eve had a sense of humor." There's a pause. "She's gone, Trev. Have you processed that yet? Eve is... gone. How many hours have you spent in one of her games over your life?"

There are traps alright. You stop counting at seventeen, and they're all red, high-level. You could take them, with time and a few respawns. If Jace sticks around, the traps wouldn't reset.

"I don't do riddles, Abadabadoo!" If that stupid nickname was procedurally generated, that's some amazing code. "I do TRIVIA!" Formerly unseen lights blink around the edge of the door.

"First Question: What does the Captain's 'T' stand for?"

• I answer without hesitation, a bit giddy, "Tiberius."

C'mon, Grimtooth. Bring it!
  • Twilight Solstice

"Ooh. Abadabadoo! I like it!"

The goblin face sticks out a stone tongue. "Fine, Abby-rasive. Kangaxx was a bad-ass, but who was the first of his kind?"

• Oh... man. I remember that asshole demilich kicking my ass up and down in Baldur's Gate. Damn, I hated that guy. I was so lucky I was playing a berserker when I faced him, since they can't be imprisoned while enraged. Still, it was a super close fight.

I won't lie, I slipped out of the game for a moment to double check. I knew it was an early D&D module, actually played Tomd of Horrors hacked into Neverwinter Nights 2, but the name escaped me.

"Acererak." That one was a bit more challenging!

"Who's your boy, Reggie?"
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

"You are, Trev. You are."

The face scowls. "You're a smarty-pants, aren't you, Abby-omination? Last question, and it's a hard one. What's the song 704 sang in 1961, and 9000 sang in 1968, or was it 2001? Correct title, please."

• edited September 2014
    "And you're my elf, heh. Hey, what kind of food do you want to eat when I pick you up? There's a few places around there, steakhouses, Mexican, Chinese, a few bar and grills. Do you drink?"

Smarty pants? The AI can't be listening in on my chat channel, could it? Nah, probably a response to getting two in a row.

"Hey, Abby-omination is catchy, Grimtooth. I like that one. Might set up an alt with it." I chatter, trying to buy a little time. I don't see a timer, but I'm worried I don't have an unlimited time for this.

Finally, I ask, "Got any ideas on this one? I think it's related to 2001: a space odyssey. Any songs in that movie?"
  • Twilight Solstice

"Didn't the computer in that movie go crazy and start singing something really old-timey? Do you want me to look it up?"

"Tick-tock, turkey! I can't just hang around here all day. No, wait, that's all I do! Whatever. What's the answer?"

"I'm up for whatever on the food front, Trev. No place fancy, since I'll be dressed for comfort. And sure, I like a couple beers but do not let me start drinking tequila unless you want a lapdance. Urrk. Uhm."

• I hold up a hand to Grimtooth when he pushes me. I'm googling something, just to make sure. Yep, first song sung by a computer, a 704. Nice. Clever one, but it was right in his whole milieu, being a talking computer. I might not have gotten it otherwise.

I try not to sound cocky when I answer, "Daisy Bell."

"Okay, got it. Tequilla shots for dinner, but nothing fancy. It's a Cuervo Saturday night! Just kidding, can do. Maybe Applebees? That's dress-down with drinks, plus I know the bartender there, so we can get some good mixes. You like to dance, Reggie? There are some good clubs in the Tri."
  • Twilight Solstice

"Nooooooo! You have answered all three of my questions! Now my master will kill me! ... Just kidding. Go on through, if you dare."

The door swings open.

"I'm a dancing fool. By which I mean I look like a fool when I dance, but I do love it. And if you feed me tequila, you're the one that has to bail me out."

You pass through the door into a wider passageway. As you approach a pair of sconces, the torches they hold whoosh to life, casting shifting shadows that add to the general gloom.

After a hundred paces, the passageway widens out into a large cavern filled with swirling mist. As you walk forward, you see this, looming out of the darkness.

Dragon Head

What do you do?

• "I'll teach you some moves, Reggie. Just you wait."

Grimtooth makes me chuckle, its genuine, he's funny. When we come up the dragon, I'm a little worried. "Reggie, is that an actual dragon? Suggestions?"
  • Twilight Solstice

"Whoah. Trev? That's... Wow."

The dragon is completely motionless. There is no diegetic sound, just the low, ominous hum of the soundtrack. The great eyes don't blink. You pan to the right and see that the sinuous trunk of the dragon's neck sinks into the floor of the cavern. It is a huge, very realistic statue.

Jace seems fascinated. She begins to walk toward the carved stone. "Scary but beautiful, isn't it?"

• I call to her quickly, "Whoah now, Jace. This is behind a Grimtooth door... probably a trap."

I'll move up, in front of her. It's less a gentlemanly thing, more of a strategic thing. Mage in back, artillery. I'll approach cautiously, looking for something like a trigger.

"Who's keeping your cat while you're gone? Got any other pets?"

• edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

"Nah, it's just me and Jack. My sister's checking in on him while I'm in North Carolina. How about you? Pets?"

You take a minute to examine the statue. It's incredibly intricate and detailed, but you don't immediately find any mechanisms or triggers.

You're welcome to give me a roll with those Acute Senses, if you like. Or... you can roll with Adventuring Thief, but that will require actually touching the statue, feeling your way along to see what's what. Or, you can do something else.

• I'll reach out with my senses. I'm a little twitchy about touching anything right now.
    (Rolled: 2d8+3. Rolls: 3, 2. Total: 8)
  • "Nope, the apartment complex charges a huge pet fee, plus one of my roomies is pretty allergic. Thought about fish, but you know... fish."

• Twilight Solstice

Abaddon, you are absolutely certain that there is no sort of mechanism or trigger embedded in this ominous statue that is located at the end of a hidden passage, behind a wickedly trapped, possibly sentient door. One-hundred percent certain.

"Roommates? How many? Are you guys friends?"

What do you do?

• "Two roomies, we're friends from high school. They're great, you'd like them. They're not gamers, but still cool."

Well, if it isn't trapped, then the riddle was the trap. Oh well, I'll reach out and touch the dragon.
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

Cool. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet them while I'm in town. I don't know if I told you, but I'll be staying at the Carolina Inn, right on campus at UNC Chapel Hill. It's supposed to be really nice.

Abaddon, when you reach out to touch the statue, you hear the click and whir of a mechanism that you were one-hundred percent certain wasn't there, and the great stone jaw hinges open. A gout of flame issues forth, above your heads.

A thunderous voice asks:

WHO... ARE... YOU?

• I took my prom date there, you know, after the prom. I'm not mentioning that to Reggie, though.
    "It is. I think you'll dig it. Big garden tubs, nice beds, badass gym..."

That's all I get out when thunderous voice interrupts my train of thought. I duck, reflex, then take a few steps back, a short sword in my hand. "We're questers, searching for the Mad Dragon's Crown."
  • Twilight Solstice

QUESTERS... AH. Another gout of flame, which you realize is definitely aimed over your heads. AND THE MAD DRAGON? WHAT IF THE DRAGON IS NOT, IN FACT, MAD? WHAT IF HE IS SANE IN A MAD WORLD? AND, YOU HAVE TOLD ME WHAT YOU ARE, NOT WHO YOU ARE.

• edited September 2014
    "I Abaddon the Quick, rogue of the Hunters of the West March. This is Jace, mage and enchantress." I bow.
  • Twilight Solstice

The dragon statue acknowledges your bow.

AH. THE TOKENS OF RESPECT. TELL ME, WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE, LITTLE ROGUE?

• "According to Conan..." I mumble uncertainly, "...to ah, crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and well, hear the lamentations of their women."

I'm immediately dissatisfied with the answer, so I add, "But... you know, to me, it's time with friends, a party, hanging out with a girl you like. Stuff like that."
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

"Yeah. Friends, family, pets. Enough money to not worry, enough sex to scratch the itch. Something like that. Oh, and chocolate."

The dragon gives a deep chortle, which crossfades into a woman's laugh, and the next words you hear are in Eve's voice. "Two good answers, rogue! Cherish those you hold dear. They will be your staff and stay on this quest." The great stone jaws move up and down a few times without sound. When Eve's voice continues, it's less formal. "I hate to say this, but it will get harder from here. But here, this is what you will need to begin the next quest, when you figure out where to start." The dragon spits out a smooth stone orb, as if it was a hairball. It clatters on the floor.

The voice changes back to the booming tones you originally heard. "Your next beginning is this. If you were Mr. Brainwash, how would you leave?"

• I pause for a moment, then offer up, "Through the Gift Shop?"
  • Twilight Solstice

One great stone eye slowly winks as the cavern fades around you. You and Jace find yourselves standing back outside, facing the mountainside where the first door had been, although it is gone now. The stone sphere is lying on the ground in front of you.

Do you know anything about a gift shop in TSol? I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Oh, shoot. Trev, I've got to go for a bit... I'm supposed to meet my running group in 20 minutes and I haven't even changed. I'll catch you later?

• "Running group? I had no idea. Wow, Reggie, that's cool. Yeah, let's log, meet back up later? Shoot me a message"

My mind thinks of tight jogging pants, imagining Reggie in them. I haven't been jogging in... forever. Sex to scratch an itch? Hrm...

I'll log out, head out to the living room. I wonder if Tandy's okay? Jake's off today, I think.
  • ---End Scene--