[JW 2.0] Field Dressing (1)

Comments

• "Thank you so much." I say, trying to savor the pastry instead of devouring it. I am certainly not used to hardholders that are this friendly. I want to take him at face value before assuming he had some ulterior motive, but I can't help thinking it's a possibility.

"Wanted to move around a bit, we lived in the Ascendant for years. I wanted to help people who couldn't afford or weren't able to get there." I answer truthfully. I'd intended to downplay my time on the ship, but of course everyone wants to know where you came from.
  • Upper-
    "That's mighty nice of you, Stitch. And pretty well unheard of around here." Upper seems skeptical, peering at you while smiling cordially. You get the feeling he's also looking for your ulterior motive. "Well, it's been maybe ten years since this clinic has seen use. I'm sure it's been stripped clean." He watches you eat for a moment, pondering something. "If you're looking for patients, I've got a few workers who could use a check-up."
  • edited October 2014
    "Alright." I nod. "Bring them over. I don't have beds, but I brought some equipment."

I get his hesitation, I do, I'm just tired of everyone on this planet immediately distrusting you if you much as hint at wanting to do good. And what have they done for care in the last ten years? How many people died that could have been saved? Increasingly over the past few years I find myself wanting to teach. It's not like there is a proper school where kids can just go learn how to treat infection or tell a simple flu from something more serious. The med lab on the Ascendant had a sort of classroom program, which was better than nothing, but more a triage aid- what to do when the doctor gone sort of thing.
  • Upper-
    "I've got beds." Upper says. He looks around, "You'll need chemicals, too. Bleach, for sure. Maybe some paint? If I offer the labor, you think that's fair?" His tone is casual, like he accepts there is an unspoken barter agreement ongoing.

• edited October 2014
    "Sure." I agree. "Unless by a few who need checkups you mean a couple dozen." Even then I'd do it, which he can likely see. Bleach would be a huge help and painting the place would go a long way in making it feel like my clinic, rather than just some building I came and took over.
  • Upper-
    Upper chuckles. "Trust me on this, Stitch. I don't pull a fast one on the first deal." He hands you another croissant, then pulls a bottle of water from his pack, "I wait until at least the third or fourth deal for that."

He looks at the open space that leads further into the clinic. "Do you want to keep working, or take the basket in for the others?" He's not offering to do the work. You notice that.
  • I actually turn down the croissant- Lenovo needs it more than me.

"You go ahead, unless you'd rather I go with?" I don't want to step on his toes, and I'd rather get the work done here than be some display of goodwill or something.

He seems ok, UpperTen. For a hard holder on this planet he's downright friendly- maybe that's why I'm nervous, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
  • Upper heads into the rest of the clinic, handing out bread and water to "all the hard workers". It's received as well as you'd imagine, lots of fawning and thank you's. He glad hands a little, asks how things are going, checking in on people.

Metro
    Metro comes out to the front room, crouches down beside you, a hand on your back. He leans in to whisper into your ear, "Our new hardholder is not who I expected. Do you trust him?"
  • "Not yet, though he seems like he could be trustworthy." I lean my head against him, I'm tired from a long day working. "What were you expecting?"
  • edited October 2014
    Metro
    Metro shrugs, "A younger Upper Ten senior, who was a consummate deal-maker. This one, he seems like an Earther politician."
  • "An Earther politician? What is that?" I'm not sure why he says it like it's a bad thing. That's the thing about Metro- sometimes his sense of time is faster or slower than what I feel like it should be. We're both over a hundred years old but I don't remember most of it.
  • Metro
    Metro looks at you for a moment in surprise, like he told a private joke he expected you'd know. He quirks the tiniest of frowns, looks away, "He seems a bit too friendly. It's possible he recognizes the value you bring to this community and he wants to ensure your arrival is as productive and pleasant as possible." While Metro says "it's possible", his tone speaks to his own disbelief.
  • "Oh, you meant a politician from earth. I thought it was some new cult or something I hadn't heard of." His words echo my own gut feeling. It's... unusual to be welcomed like this, even for a doctor and a mechanic.

"So what's the angle I'm not seeing?" I ask him quietly.
  • Metro
    Metro purses his lips in thought for a moment, a habit he's learned from you, "Not sure. I doubt we'll see it directly. Perhaps Card will tell you later. Or you could find out at Pip's. People who act slick but aren't, often make enemies."
  • As you're chatting with Metro, you hear a pair of motorcycles come riding up, then stop. A woman's voice, hard from what sounds like years of smoking, calls in, "Where's the frakkin doc?" This girl comes in, face dirty with smeared dirt and grease. She looks a bit frantic, on edge.
    BabyRuth
  • "Yes? Can I help you?" I ask, not really appreciating her tone, but not brave enough to say so.
  • BabyRuth
    "Yo," she says as she walks up to grab your wrist, starts to pull you, "My sister's frakkin hurt, you gotta come..."

But she's cut off when Metro reaches up with two fingers of his right hand and very gently pries this gril's thumb away from your wrist. He turns it, just so, not to break a single thing, but to use her joints so she loses her grip. His face is utterly calm.

You catch this girl's left hand reaching behind her, probably for a gun. You know Metro is trying to protect you as best as he can, but this Candy Bar sees that as a direct attack.

What do you do?
  • I step in between Metro and the girl, palms up. "Woah now, let's not cause any more injuries I'll need to fix later." I use my best 'everything is fine' voice, which I've gotten unfortunately good at.

"I will come with you, but please do not grab me like that." I really want to yell her to take her fucking dirty hands off me, but I don't.

I do a sort of head nod out the clinic, motioning that I will follow her to her sister.
  • edited October 2014
    Metro inclines his head to your request, of course. The Candy Bar curls her upper lip in annoyance, but she doesn't grab you.

You follow her outside to her bike. It's been re-built a couple times and there's nowhere that's shiny, but it looks "functional". There's another girl there, she's rail thin and a little unwashed, too. Her bike is a four wheeler, looks slow but stable.

Here she is:
    Almond Joy

She looks at you skeptically, then says, "Prettyboy rides with me, Ruth. You got her."

BabyRuth
    "Hop on, doc. No time for playin' around!" She throws a leg over her bike in a practiced move and starts up her bike.

Metro looks at you, asking silently if he should stay or go while that skinny girl pats the seat behind her and sneers.
  • edited October 2014
    I sigh. Stupid candies and their drama. I smile weakly at Metro, hoping like hell this works out ok. I mouth 'stay' like it's a question, though I know if the girl demands it he won't have a choice.

I get on Ruth's bike, not really liking it, but not feeling like I have a choice in the matter.
  • edited October 2014
    Metro hesitates again, and the skinny girl starts to bark at him. You know she's going to tell Metro to get on. But she's cut off.

BabyRuth
    Ruth's revving her engine, about to tear out of here. "AJ, give it a rest, willya? Ya can worry bout some piece o' ass after we save sissy!"

AJ
    The skinny girl revs up her engine and calls, "Frak ya later, pretty boy!" She pops a wheelie and rides off after Ruth.

Ruth leans over her handlebars and the wind whips up as she charges along the dusty trail out of Sector. It's late morning, the sun isn't at its zenith quite yet.

BabyRuth
    Ruth yells back at you while she's riding up a low hill, "My sister was on a trail up this way. She was taking a right-hand curve, and the rear wheel hit a pile of scat and slipped. The bike took her down the ravine, and her right leg is all frakked up. I was gonna load her up and bring her to the garage, but AJ said you're a doc."
  • edited October 2014
    "Yes, I am a doctor, and I don't really appreciate being dragged out to the hills." I reply, yelling to be heard over the sound of the bike.

I really don't like AJ talking to Metro like that. If he wanted to frak her that'd be fine, but the fact that he couldn't say no if she ordered him... that is not sitting right with me.

We should have stayed on the Ascendant. Out here, it's more dangerous than I remembered.
  • BabyRuth
    "Yeah, yeah," Ruth yells back. "I don't like watching the bone in my sister's frakkin leg pokin out, either. So hang tight and we'll keep this as quick, yeah?"

After about a ten minute ride at pretty stupidly fast, they stop their bikes and look over this.
    Ravine

Just below the cacti at the bottom of that picture, you see a bike on top of a woman, her leg trapped under. She's passed out, there's some blood near her blood. There's another girl by her, standing so she gives the girl some shade. The standing girl is maybe thirteen, a little plump, and sunburned and tired.

What do you ;do?
  • I kneel down beside the trapped woman, examining her as best as I can. The head wound clotted, which is good, though she may be concussed. I need to get a look at her leg, but not with that bike in the way. I motion to it, like get on with it already. "If you want me to check her leg out you're going to have to get the bike off her first."

Bunch of big strong tough women and they need fragile me. The irony is not lost on me. I look around at the women and my surroundings.

(OOC: Read a sitch incoming.)
  • (OOC: Read a sitch, roll+ sharp.)
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 12)
  • edited October 2014
    AJ and Ruth follow you down. When you ask them to lift the bike, Ruth makes some excuses about Whacha screaming whenever they moved the bike earlier. But she's passed out now, so they get Prospect as they call the teen to help and lift the bike off the girl.

She has a compound fracture, it looks pretty bad, but you're used to this shit. Right?
  • OOC: How can I get the Candies in Sector to respect me? How can I get AJ to leave Metro alone? What is the best way to handle Whacha?
  • Healing up Whatchamacallit is big. She's Baby Ruth's sister and Big Hunk's current steady, so this is a big opportunity. Also, making sure they see how badass you are at this. They respect capable women.

Tell AJ Metro is "yours". Once the Candies know you're good at what you do, your word has value. Claiming Metro is the best way to ensure they don't mess with your "stuff".

Best way to handle Watcha is to set the bone, and use Healing Touch. If you don't heal her up, then she won't be able to ride anytime soon. That puts her as a weak leak, which exposes Big Hunk and Baby Ruth to any challengers.
  • edited October 2014
    I push up my sleeves and very gently examine her leg. After I've gotten an idea of the damage, I start my healing touch. "This might get weird but it's how I work." I feel like if I don't warn them they may interrupt.

(OOC: Healing touch incoming.)
  • (OOC: healing touch. Roll+ weird, + read a stitch forward.)

(Rolled: 2d6+4. Rolls: 2, 2. Total: 8)
  • (OOC: act under fire, roll+ sharp.)
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 14)
  • You put your hands on her leg, the warm around the wound telling you she's at risk of infection. With that effort of will you have inside, you coax her body into healing. You touch the shattered bone and as if you're connecting a pair of Legos, you put it back together, feeling the shards of bone and sinew like fingers eager to clasp together, knitting quickly. The skin feels like a tiny rip in a dress and you fold the flaps over each other. The flesh crawls and the blood smears coagulate. You know her leg will be weak and sore for a few days, but she'll be walking and riding within a week.

You move up to her head, imagining the brain injury and how it can be sped to recovery. You know even your magic has limits, but what you've done has saved this girl. She is open to you, and while her fear and hurt make her want to fight back, your utter calm overwhelms her, and like a baby lamb, she becomes still and trusting.

Whatchamacallit is the name she took when she became a Candy Bar. Before that, she was a Prospect, like every Candy Bar before her. She earned her Candy Bar name when she shoved a three inch spike into the eye of a Wendy her big sister Ruth took down for her. She's scared, every day scared that she's not as tough or hard as the rest of the gang. She clings to Big Hunk in a desperate attempt to stay safe, hoping Big Hunk will protect her. She's a follower, will do whatever she needs to stay out of danger and do whatever she thinks will keep her in the Candy's good graces.

There's one more thing, Stitch. Something that seems new. Or maybe it's always been there and you just now, just this time noticed it. As you're looking at Whatcha on the ground, you realize she's brighter than before, even in this sun, she seems like she's under a spotlight. It's your hands, Stitch. They're glowing. The glow fades as you finish healing her and look up.

That slightly chubby young girl, the one who was trying to give Whatcha shade with her own body, she's gaping at you in awe. There are tears on her face, she wasn't crying before, but she's weeping right now. Not tears of hurt or fear, they are born from amazement. A quick glance to Baby Ruth and AJ and they're both wide eyed, too. Their expressions are harder, more guarded, years of riding and fighting do that to a person. But even still, they don't know what to think about what just happened.

"You had wuh...." The Prospect girl stammers, the words dying on parched lips.
  • I smile a small, tired smile at Whatchamacallit- I know fear well, especially the fear of not being strong or tough enough. I wish I could tell her that her fears were unfounded, that fear is just a tool our minds use to keep us alive. That everything will be ok and she'll grow into strength eventually. I hope it's true, anyway.

I wipe my bloody hands off on my pant legs and stand up. "She'll need to rest, but she's stable, and we can take her back. Someone will have to hold her, though." I say in my best doctor's orders voice to Ruth. I nearly make a quip about payment, but honestly, if I can get the Candies to respect me I'd rather have that then barter.

My eyes settle on AJ and all of the kindness and warmth I try to keep in them drains away. "Metro is off limits." I say it quietly, deliberately, not breaking eye contact. It's not a question, not a favor, simply fact. I know I should just claim him, but that feels wrong, like he's property, and even if he is mine, he's not mine.

I turn my gaze to the Prospect. I understand, but don't like it when people look at me like that- like I'm some kind of miracle worker. I don't want to have followers, don't want to lead anyone to anything. I just want to go back to town and have Metro hold me- the whole bike ride here my heart was practically leaping out of my chest in fear.

I kneel down again to Whatcha and start getting her up. It'd be good if she was out for the ride- otherwise it's probably gonna hurt like hell- but I didn't bring my bag or any meds. That was dumb of me, this isn't the Ascendant where I can just send someone to fetch my supplies. I will have to be more careful in the future.
  • AJ
    AJ's look, a kind of reverence, fades a little. She drops her eyes, away from you, nods, "Yeah, sure, whatever you say. He's all yours."

BabyRuth
    When you start helping Whatcha up, Ruth directs Prospect to help, "Get her up the ridge, I'll push her bike." She grunts with the effort of lifting the bike while AJ comes over to struggle with it.

With Prospect's help, you know it won't take long to get to the top of the ridge with their bikes. But Ruth and AJ will take a while to walk that bike up. Maybe a long while.

What do you do?
  • I'm worried about that- how long it'll take them- but there's little I can do about it. And healing Watcha was pointless if we don't get her back to town. I also know there is no way they are leaving that bike there. They are tough, I remind myself, not like they need any kind of back up from me. I nod at Ruth and start towards the ridge, a little clumsy with the bike, but Prospect isn't big enough to manage a bike and Whatcha.

After we get up the ridge, I speed up a bit, though it's still going to take maybe 30min to get back instead of 10. Every couple of minutes I look back to make sure Prospect is still there.
  • Propsect pipes up, finally finding her voice, "Duh... Doc. We can take AJ's four-wheeler, if ya wanna ride back. I figger, uhm, Whatcha needs a bed and all."
  • "Oh, sure, good idea." I should have thought of that. I rub my eyes, I'm tired. It does that to me sometimes. I turn around a bit, heading for the four wheeler.
  • Prospect drives and asks you to hold AJ on from behind, making her the "meat" in your sandwich as you ride back. The ride is slow, slightly bumpy, but much quicker than walking. You reach your clinic as the sun hits its zenith. AJ is still passed out, so she's a bit like a wet noodle, so you have to hold onto Prospect to keep her upright.

As you get closer to Sector, a couple bikers come up towards you. Prospect turns back to you, "Shit, Doc, it's some Hopps." One biker has a rooster mohawk, he's on a dirt bike that reminds you a little of Saff. The other is a big burly guy in leathers on a chopper. "They're not too friendly."

What do you do?
  • One day, one day without being threatened, is that so much to ask? I wish Metro was here, even though I'd worry about him. I feel safer with him around.

"Pull over." I tell Prospect. Once she stops the bike, I motion for her to hold Watcha, and I get off the bike. I look around at the two guys.

(OOC: Read a sitch incoming)
  • (OOC: Read a sitch, roll + sharp)
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 3, 1. Total: 7)
  • edited October 2014
    What is my best way past these guys?
  • edited October 2014
    You definitely can't blow your way past, of course. Upper Ten didn't mention them directly, but Lenovo did, at one point say they essentially work for Upper, so name drop him and they'll let you by.

Do NOT let Prospect, or Whatcha if she wakes, talk trash to these guys.
  • "Do not say a word." I tell Prospect. "Keep Watcha quiet, too."

I take a few steps forward towards the guys.
  • Chopper guy pulls up short while dirt bike guy rides right up to you. "Three of you on AJ's piece o' shit? What the what? And who're you?" He's wearing a pair of goggles that are grimy.

Prospect nodded to your order, but this guy puts her on edge. Whatcha's slowly started to come to.
  • "I'm Stitch, the new doc." I reply, matter of factly. "I'd like to take my patient back to the clinic, if you don't mind. I'm sure UpperTen will be wondering where I've gone- I have a few more of his folks to look at."

I don't use a single drop of sarcasm or emotion. I don't even look the guy in the eye, I do not want this guy thinking I'm challenging him in any way.
  • Dirt Biker Guy repeats, "New doc? " He pushes his goggles up to peer at you for a moment. "I'm Greenburg. I'm sure chubby there told you we're the Hopps. You deliver babies and shit?" Greenburg sucks his teeth and rubs at his belly. He's got a six shooter in a holster by his hand.

Chopper Guy is watching close. He's got a rifle in a holster by his left left.
  • "Yes, and yes." I reply, not liking his nickname for Prospect. You'd think being a little overweight would be extra attractive on this rock.

I make sure to keep my hands visible, and I don't carry any weapons. I wish we could just skip past all this bullshit and get back to town. I'm glad that Whatcha is at least stable.
  • Prospect doesn't like it either, you felt her tense, but she remained silent.

Greenburg nods once, like you passed some BS test. "Alright. Well if Upper knows about ya, then you're in the clinic? C'mon, we'll ride ya back." He gives a nod to Chopper Guy, then moves to his bike.

If you don't have anything more to say, which I doubt, they'll do just that.

About a hundred yards from the edge of town, Whatcha starts awake, looking in sudden fear, gasping and bleary-eyed.
  • Nope, I got nothing else to say.

"Shh, it's ok." I tell Whatcha, putting my hand on the side of her face, to try to sooth her.
  • Whatcha stills when you touch her, her eyes drawn to yours. She mumbles suddenly, "I saw you. In my dreams. You brought me from the darkness with your light." Her eyes are focusing, like she's coming to.

Greenburg revs his engine loudly, to get your attention. Prospect says, "Hang on, we gotta roll." The four wheeler jerks to life, but doesn't throw you or anything. Prospect follows the Hopps down to your clinic.

Metro's standing outside when you pull up. He probably recognized the sound of the four wheeler and came outside. He's eager to run up to you, but also not sure about all the strangers. Or where AJ or Baby Ruth have gone.
  • I tilt my head, motioning for him to come over and help carry Whatcha into the clinic. I nod my thanks to the guys, stopping short of actually saying thank you.

"She's stable, but I want to watch her overnight." I say to Metro as he picks her up. "How is Blue?" I'm worried about her, head injuries can be tricky.
  • Metro
    Metro moves over quickly, reaching over to pick Whatcha up into his arms easily. He carries her in, even though she flinched at first, Whatcha says nothing. To your question, Metro answers, "She's awake. You should speak with her, she's asked for you. Lenovo is elated."

Prospect hangs out by the bike, uncertain. The Hopps take off, Greenburg saying they had work to do, but it seemed like an excuse.
  • Inside the clinic, you see that Upper Ten is gone, Card and his friends from the nearby haven aren't here either. Lenovo and Blue are in the room you set out for her. When you walk in, they both turn to look at you. Lenovo was holding Blue's hand.

Blue
    "Hullo there. You're Stitch?" Her voice lilts, it's sing-song, and rather amusing.
  • "I am." I reply. "How are you both feeling?" I was relieved to have found a blood donor for Lenovo. It probably wouldn't have killed him, but in this place any little help you can get, you take.
  • edited October 2014
    Blue-header
    She answers honestly, "Better. Feeling better. Trouble seeing colors."

Lenovo nods, he's fine, but worries about her.
  • "Colors, really? I haven't seen that before." I sit down next to them, wishing I had a chart to consult. "I don't know that I can fix that, I'm sorry." My face is full of concern, if she never sees color again because of me...
  • Blue-header
    "Well, shit. See, Lenny? Told you she can't fix it. Frakin' Wendys."

"Sorry, babe." Lenovo says, patting her arm.
  • I'm surprised, I'd have thought it was a side effect of my poking around in her brain. "What happened? You were hit on the head?" I don't want to drag it all up for her but I want to help, if I can.
  • Blue-header
    She seems pretty zen about it. After a glance at Lenovo, she shares, "We found some skyfall remnants a few months ago. Rebuilt what we could, ended up with a device that tells us what's in the earth. There's some huge oil deposits and a bunch of rare metals in one of the mountains to the west. Wendy territory. We thought we could skirt around, me, Lenny and his family. We got a few barrels loaded up and were heading home before they attacked. They shot up our ride, took our shit, and then beat and killed everyone. I thought I was a goner, but... Lenny saved me." She reaches out for his hand, gives him a warm smile. He nods his head, looking back at her.
  • "I'm familiar with their methods." I say, my face drawn with concern. If I had the ship's computer I'd have a better chance of helping her color, but I suppose it's a small cost to survive the encounter. I make a mental note to look into it when I can.

"Let me know if you need anything, I'm going to go check on Watcha."
  • You head into the little room where Metro carried her. Prospect finally decided to come inside, she's hanging out near the door like some watchdog.

Whatcha's sitting on the bed, still looking a little shaken, but okay. Here's Whatcha:
    photo Whatcha_zps0561a99c.jpg
  • edited October 2014
    "Hello." I say to them both, then turn to Watcha. "How are you feeling?" I ask. I wonder if I should send Metro after Ruth and AJ, but I'm worried about him. I'm always afraid his programming will compromise him.
  • edited October 2014
    Whatcha-header
    "Like I can walk, which is crazy.." She looks at you for a long moment, then away. "You're so beautiful."

Her head snaps up when she realizes what she said, catches your eye. She stammers, "No-no, I mean, you-you're pretty. Just.... you spoke to me, right? I saw you, the uhm, the real you. When you... I dunno, whatever you did."
  • I blush and look down for a second. I don't know how she saw me, or what she means by 'the real me'. "Yes, I spoke to you, in a fashion." I'm pleased she will be able to walk. Is expected to come here and find vitamin deficiencies and pregnant women, not such dramatic injuries. Especially in the first few days. "You will need to stay off your feet for a few days, and I'd like you to stay here tonight."
  • Whatcha-header
    "No problem. This is amazing, what you've done in what, a day? This place has always been a shithole, as long as I've been here. You swoop in and BAM" She smacks one hand against the other for effect. "Now, it's got beds and gear and all that."

Whatcha blinks for a moment, thinking, "Wait... you mean stay here, or do you want me to sleep with you? 'Cause Hunk wouldn't like it if I... not that I'd mind, I mean. But I don't wanna get you in trouble." She fidgets a little, fingers playing mindlessly with the fringe on her top, twisting a pair of strands, then letting them go.
  • "What? Oh, no, I didn't mean..." I don't know if I'm embarrassed because she misunderstood me or because she wouldn't mind sleeping with me. "No, I'm d sorry, I meant I'd like you to stay in the clinic tonight so I can make sure you don't have any other injuries and your head is ok. I don't know how badly you knocked your head."

I suddenly want to be out of this room. I realize I've got dirt all over me. "Please excuse me. I need to clean up."
  • You move towards the entrance towards the room as Big Hunk is walking down the hall.

BigHunk-header
    She sees you, but she's looking past you, "Yo, Whatcha, you fell off yer frakkin bike?" She shrugs. Big Hunk walks up to you, "Are you the frak that fixed her up?" Big Hunk's tone isn't as hard as last time.

Heavyset's walking up behind her. He's looking to make sure she doesn't come after you. Maybe that's a thing Big Hunk does?
  • "Uh, yeah." I reply, not understanding why she'd come after me for helping her girlfriend. I step back out of the way so I'm not in between the two of them. I open and close my mouth, not knowing what to say, looking around for Metro.
  • BigHunk-header
    Big Hunk walks close, puts a hand up to your cheek, and pats it, "Thanks. She's a sweetie." Hunk walks past you to go in and chat with Whatcha.

Heavyset
    Heavyset comes up, following you as you look around for Metro."Hey there. Been a rough mornin? Sorry I wasn't around till now. Need anythin?"

Metro must be in the OR or the front room.
  • edited October 2014
    I exhale a tiny breath as Hunk walks away from me. "Not rough so much as interesting." I reply. "I would love some company for lunch?" I say. "I just need to wash up. Where should we go?" I need to get out of this clinic, there's too much going on right now, I need a bit of quiet.
  • Heavyset
    "It aint as good as when Butter ran the kitchen, but Pip's is still the best place fer a bite." He'll walk with you out of the clinic towards that bar where the Candies came out yesterday. Are you heading with just Heavyset?
  • Yeah, part of me wants to wait for Metro, but I don't need a babysitter, and I'm not some shrinking violet. "Sounds good."

I go wash my hands off, the water is freezing but Metro got it running.

"Lead the way." I say to Heavyset. "If anybody sees Metro, let him know I went to lunch?" I say toward the OR, knowing if he's in the building he'll hear me.
  • edited October 2014
    Pips
    Heavyset walks you over to Pip's. The place reminds you a little of Armour, except it's a bit more slipshod. It's like someone welded together three boxcars into a single spot. This late morning the place has maybe a half dozen folk sitting at tables. There's a bar against the back wall with an older guy sitting at a stool behind it.

He leads you to the right, into "Reading". You know this from the little painted metal sign hanging over the entrance. The tables here are railroad spools with sheet metal attached and a bunch of mismatched chairs.
  • Heavyset
    As you sit, Heavyset says, "Don't worry none, I got credit here. They aint got a menu or nothin, it's whate'er Applejack feels like fixin'. An she's always got some wildhair goin."

After a couple minutes of waiting around, light conversation from other tables echoing lightly in the place, this girl comes into Reading:
    Applejack

"Hey there Heavy," she says as she walks up. She's got the longest hair you've seen in ages, and walks with this impetuous air of youth. "Hey Mama. I'm Applejack. I seen you outside yesterday with that scrumptious man when Ize on smoke break, didn't I? Nice to meet ya." She takes a seat beside you, across from Heavyset.
  • Wow, he was not kidding! It's all I can do not to gape- it's so beautiful. "Yeah." I answer, nodding at her. Of course everyone notices Metro, he's the more notable of our duo. "Nice to meet you, too."
  • Applejack-header
    She leans in closer, looking from your left eye to your right like she's reading a book. "Gods above and below, you have the most arrestin' eyes, Mama. I could read the world in 'em!" She reaches for your hand, holds it in hers. "I've made some soup today, somma this an somma that. You like yours spicey? Warm? However Mama likes it, Applejack will do."

Heavyset
    Heavyset offers, "She's the new doc, Applejack." He's smiling like he's watching a show. Applejack nods, never taking her eyes off yours.

• "Oh, thank you." I always forget that I seem to be the only person on the planet with green eyes- probably not, but it feels like it. My cheeks color slightly, but I don't break eye contact. I smile, "Not too spicy? Just warm?"

Her touch feels... intimate. Personal in a way I don't feel with people not from my time.
  • Applejack-header
    Applejack smiles, her hands gently smoothing over yours. "The hands of a doctor? That's nice. I love the feel of your hands, Mama. Makes me all warm." She sits back. "I'll give it to ya like ya like it then. Nice and warm, just a tiny bit spicy." She looks over at Heavyset, "I got you, too, Heavy." She stands up, walking past you with a brief touch to your shoulder. It feels warm even seconds after she trails out of the room.

Heavyset
    "Heaven sent." is all Heavyset says for a bit. Then he adds with a little smirk, "She likes you."
  • I assume he means Applejack is heaven sent, I guess I'll find out when we eat. "Well, gosh, I hope so," I reply, "If she didn't I'd ask how she treated people she did like."

I run the hand she held through my hair, pushing it back. I cut it a few years ago, it had just gotten too long. These days I keep it between ear and jaw-length or a bit longer.
  • Heavyset
    "Oh, she don't like me like she likes you." he corrects. "I think you struck a chord or somethin. Aint seen her that sweet on summin since Butter left." Heavyset chuckles, then hums a wordless tune to pass the time.

After a few minutes, Applejack appears with a tray with two bowls of soup and two mugs. She sets down Heavyset's bowl and mug, then comes over to lay the tray down on the table and slides the mug and bowl to you.

Applejack-header
    "Alright, now. This here's a mead that I brew special. Smooth as anything, and real tasty. I want you to try it, Mama." She says as she puts the mug near you. "And the soup's nice an warm, like a body beside ya onna cold night. Not too spicy, enough to leave a memory on your tongue." She smiles again, and watches you intently for some reaction.
  • I wonder if I resemble her mom- she keeps calling me Mama. "Wow!" I'm impressed by the spread- the mead especially. "Where'd you get the honey?"

I dig in enthusiastically, I haven't seen someone this excited about putting a meal in front of me since Caesar. Well, Metro does, too, but he often doesn't eat, leaving most of it for me. "Mmmm." Wow, it is delicious. My face is probably lit up, she's so excited about me enjoying the food- it's contagious.
  • edited October 2014
    Applejack-header
    When you make your noises of pleasure at her food, Applejack grins, a hint of straight teeth showing, "It's skyfall honey. I've only got a few jars left, very special stuff. But you're special." She reaches up to rub your back softly. Her touch is delicate. "So tell me, Mama. You and Mr. Sexy an item? I am sorry, but I'm ever so curious."
  • Wow, I don't know what to say. I move a fraction an inch when she touches my back- I wasn't expecting that.

"Nothing to be sorry about." I answer. "Yeah, we've been together for a while."

It feels weird to define it. I feel too old to call him my boyfriend, but we aren't married. We've been through hell and back, though, which she can probably hear in my answer.
  • Applejack-header
    She sighs, "All the good ones are always taken, Heavy." Applejack pulls her hand off your back when she sees your reaction. "If you ever have any troubles and need a shoulder to cry on, Mama, I'm your girl." That gets a knowing chuckle from Heavyset. She playfully slaps his arm, "Hush you!"

With one more touch on your shoulder, Applejack rises from the chair she took and makes some excuses about side work that needs doing, and leaves. Heavyset continues eating quietly, smiling to himself like this was very amusing.
  • I smile at her as she goes, feeling like I've said something wrong.

Then the other shoe finally drops. Oh. She meant me. "Oh. " I say as Heavy eats. I blush a little. I wonder what Metro would think of her.

I savor my food, enjoying every bite.
  • As you near the end of your bowl and cup, Applejack comes back out to refill it, flirting some more, touching lightly. Then she's gone.

Heavyset
    "How're things for ya onna first day, Stitch?" Heavyset asks between bites.
  • "Actually, not as bad as I expected." I answer. "I got used to where I was for so long, I forgot what figuring out your place in a hold was like." It doesn't help that I was on the council on the Ascendant and most folks respected me.

I rub my lower back, remembering the bomb that almost killed me. "Coulda been worse."

I've been pleasantly surprised by the folk here, though I suppose the two gangs balance out the folk like Heavy and Card. Still, seems like I'm in a good position.
  • Heavyset
    Heavyset drains the last of his drink, "That's a good way ta think of it, ma'am. An it worked out mighty fine with ya helpin' lil Whatcha. Ole Hunk'll 'member that. O' course, ya throw yer lot in with the Candy Bars, then the Hopps'll hate ya fer sure. Ya oughta go an talk ta their main man, ya know? I can take ya over there, if ya want."
  • I sigh, course it couldn't be that easy. "Ok, that sounds good." I reply. "I ran into a couple of them on my way back into town, maybe I'll get lucky and one them will have appendicitis." it's a bad joke, but I chuckle myself. No faster way to get on a gang's good side then to save one of them.

I look over towards where I last saw Applejack.
  • Heavyset doesn't get your joke, but he chuckles along, playing nice. He settles up with Pip for the meal, then leads you out of Pip's for what he calls Hopp Haus. You walk down the road past your new clinic. A few Candy bikes are parked outside, including AJ's four wheeler and Ruth's crap bike, too. Hunk's bike isn't there.

You walk on past Card and his people. That small "invisible girl" watches you, but doesn't wave. A couple people inside do.

Heavyset
    "The Commune is a remnant of the Songman." Heavyset tells you in a low voice, out of earshot. "They keep the ways, which to me's like actin' spooky an shit. But they don't hurt nobody that I ever heard."

At the end of these sets of shacks and buildings the road continues. Up ahead maybe a hundred feet is a trio of concrete and stucco buildings in a similar style, sort of Spanish, but not as pretty. There are maybe a half dozen young men standing or laying around. Some are on rusted-out cars, others sitting on chopped-down barrels that serve as seats, while others lean against the wall. Heavyset asks, "These are the Hopps. You alright if we just walk on up?"
  • I take a fortifying breath. "Yep, as ready as I'll ever be." I reply.

It'll be fine, I reassure myself. I already met a couple of them, I'm already doing good for the the hold, it'll be fine. Just because all of this has gone too smoothly doesn't mean the other shoe is gonna drop now. I take another breath. I have survived way too much shit to be so anxious about this- it's just being in a new place after so long.

I take a step forward towards the buildings.
  • Heavyset walks up beside you. One of the men pushes himself off the wall, coming up, "Heavy. choo want?"

Heavyset
    "New Doc wants to say howdy. Styrian around?" Heavyset answers clear and makes calm eye contact with the guy. This young tough could be your kid, Stitch. If you have any. Well, technically, you could be his great grandma by now, right?

He heads inside, and comes back out pretty quickly, waves you in. You enter the house, which is dimly lit by old white Christmas lights strung along the ceiling like a path. Heavyset leads you down a hall into a living room, past four men sitting on couches playing ancient-looking video games. What's the game, Stitch?

You walk past them, none of them look up at you or speak. The air smells smoky here, like pot smoke, but something else. Maybe hookah? Maybe cigar?

On the other side of the living room, you knock and enter an office. There's a rather attractive woman sitting on a leather couch, smoking from a bong, and over on the other side of the office is this man:

Styrian

"Stitch, right?" He asks as he sits in a high-back leather chair, watching you with those predatory eyes of his. "I'm Styrian."
  • edited October 2014
    The video game looks like Mario Kart- they are all driving little vehicles, racing.

I nod at Styrian- of course he knows my name already. "Nice to meet you, Styrian." I reply, at a loss for anything else to say.
  • edited October 2014
    Styrian-header
    He speaks with a rasp in his voice, but there's an undercurrent of steel. "The Hopps are my boys. We protect Sector. You wanna live here, we need to work together. My boys keep you safe, you keep us all healthy."
  • edited October 2014
    I'm not a fan of the implied threat, but there's not much I can do about it."Ok." I reply. I don't turn patients away, so I was going to keep them healthy anyway, but I don't like feeling like treating them is protection. Oh well, I'm not going to do anything stupid, so I guess that's that. I nod at him."I'm still going to treat Candies, if they come into the clinic." I add. There is no way I'm getting in the middle of their turf war.
  • Styrian-header
    "Those girls already got to you?" He asks with a sneer. "You don't need to be scared of them. They're all bark, very little bite. Why don't I send a couple Hopps back with you? Keep them out of your hair."
  • "I'm not scared of them." I reply."If someone needs a doc, I help them. I don't want to be in between you and them." It's a declaration, not a question.
  • Styrian-header
    That doesn't make him happy. At all. He huffs a cruel laugh, "You don't? Well, Sector is our place, Stitch. You wanna live here, you help the Hopps. All the Candies get you is to and fro. They're the dogs you keep outside, to bark at strangers. That's all they are. As long as you help the Hopps, I don't give a shit who else you fix up. The moment you pick a side, I give all kinds of shits. You get me?"

• I wonder if that's how UpperTen sees them. "I get you." I answer.

I hold his gaze for a long beat.

(OOC: Read a person incoming.)
  • (OOC: Read a person. Roll+sharp.)
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 4. Total: 12)