[In and Out] Bro Time (1.8)

edited September 2014 in PnR

The Real World

Tandy's at work, but Jake is off. He's sitting at his work table, working on the commission he mentioned, the thing with the two sci-fi characters. He's got a look, though, when his head comes up, and you know from long experience that he wants to be interrupted.

What do you two usually do when you hang out together, Trevian?

You get a message:

Took forever to get my car inspected!
Need new brake pads.
Disappointed Face
Heading to the courthouse.

Comments

• Jake and I usually go outdoors. He tells me I don't get enough sun, which might be true. I make a few vampire jokes, then we go out for some pick-up basketball or he'll guest me in at his gym, or sometimes we just go for a ride in his car. It's cool. I like doing this stuff.

To: Jessi New brake pads? Sucky. Glad you're ok. Good luck at the courthouse. Out with Jake. LMK when you're free.

Should I feel guilty that I sorta wish I hadn't thrown out all the coke? I mean, it was the right call and she freaked me right the hell out, but dayum, that was some crazy sex.
  • The Real World

Jake

Trevian, you hop in Jake's car and take a ride to William B. Umstead State Park, next to the airport. You come here a lot to walk around on the trails (you don't call it "hiking," do you?). As usual, you wind up on your favorite bench, looking out over the lake:

The Park

"So, you stayed out last night? With Jessi? How's that going?"

• I pull out some granola from a baggie, hand it to him. It's snack time. This view is amazing. "It's alright. She's a great girl, good friend. But, uh, last night she told me she's got some stalker boyfriend from Cali she's ducking. And the guy sent her a friggin' postcard, so he knows where she is. That's some drama, you know? So, I spent the night with her, she's checking in with me while she's working on the restraining order at the courthouse... just a thing." I shrug like "it sucks, but what ya gonna do?" "I asked if she wanted me to hang out and she said she was okay, the guy wasn't violent, just freaky. I'm a little worried, but man... drama."

A few bites of granola, which has some nice cashews snuck in there, extra raisins. It's homemade. Tandy's so awesome with the mix. "I haven't seen you with Jill lately. Is it not working out?"
  • The Real World

Jake

"Nah, man, it's cool. Jill spent some time with her folks in Atlanta, then had to go up to DC for some big Anthropology conference. And her adviser's got her working her ass off correlating some data for a paper he's writing. I mostly just hang out and watch her frown at spreadsheets. I asked if there weren't expert systems to do the grunt work and she actually growled."

He pauses to watch a few sparrows peck at granola crumbs.

"Anyway, yeah, spreadsheets, then I order pizza and we get a little cuddle time. She should be less slammed soon, we'll see what it's like then."

A leaf drifts down into your hair, right on top like a little hat, and Jake chuckles as you brush it off.

"That's rough, with Jessi, man. You two getting serious? Sounds like you're way into her business, whether you asked for it or not."

• The leaf cap was amusing. If I'd thought of it, I might have tipped my cap to him.

He asks about Jessi and I exhale sharply, "I dunno, man. She's really cool. I like hanging out with her, partying and stuff, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be that into her business, you know?"

I take a few more bites, a few more sips. Then I turn to him, "Hey, a member of my TSol guild is flying down to visit, she might be going to vet school local. She's pretty cool. I might bring her by, meet you and Tandy. Is that cool?"
  • The Real World

Jake

"I hear you. You know I've got your back, though, if you need me. Tandy, too. Hell, half the people you know would drop whatever they're doing to help if you were in trouble, and the other half wouldn't be doing anything in the first place."

When you ask about them meeting Reggie, he's enthusiastic. "Hell yeah, man!" He clicks his tongue, a tell that he's working on a joke. "Hate to ask, man, but has she seen a picture of you? You're pretty hideous, you might scare her away before she gets to meet the Callipygian Kurumatsus!" Jake subscribes to one of those word-a-day vocabulary building feeds.

• edited September 2014
    Damn, Jake's support means so much to me. Hearing him say it, it's just amazing. He knows I've got his back, too. Any time.

"Pshaw, man," I wave him off, "I'm hawt, brother. You're just not able to see it." I puzzle out the words, wish I could whip out my phone and look them up, but I know Jake would tease me. "The wonderful Callipso Kurumatsus have nothing on me!"

I pour half of the remaining granola in his cupped hand, then turn up the baggie to finish off the last. We sit for a bit, sip some water. Before he gets the urge to insist we go "walking" again, I ask, "You head about Tandy's break-up, right? Talked to her about it? She was pretty messed up yesterday. She really like that asswipe."
  • The Real World

Jake

Jake laughs as he reaches into the pocket of his cargo pants. "Callipygian, Trev. It means 'possessed of beautiful buttocks.'"

He pulls out his SoundBar and hooks up with the public "TriFi," as the community leaders named it.

"It's weird. When Tandy's with a guy, in a relationship, it's like she's a completely different person with him than she is with the rest of the world. And not in a good way. She gets clingy and suspicious and uncertain of herself. I mean, sure Doctor Douche was a jerk, we could see that, but she's going to blame herself, of course."

Here's the thing. With the entire history of recorded music at his disposal, Jake has chosen to lovingly "curate" a station of bubblegum pop from all periods and countries. The station is his pride and joy, second only to his art. He drags you around some Saturdays from garage sale to flea market to thrift shop, looking for his music in any antique format he can get his hands on.

Anyway, this is what starts playing.

Do you have a station, Trevian? What sort of music?

• No argument about Tandy's butt. I mean, Jake's is good, for a dude. Tandy's... divine.

"Yeah. Maybe she'll spend time on her own this time? I dunno. I love your sister, but she is weird when she dates somebody."

Anyways, bubblegum pop. It's weird, I play along, but Jake's music isn't usually danceable. I like Pit Bull, J-Lo, Black-Eyed Peas, David Guetta. Anything that will get you up to move, you know?
  • The Real World

Jake

"I almost wish... It would be too weird though, she's like your little sister."

Jake leans back, enjoying the crisp breeze and the sunshine. "Wanna grab a late lunch?"

Just then, in one of those coincidences of timing the universe arranges sometimes, you receive three messages at the same time.

Out for a while longer.
    Running buddy twisted his ankle.
    TTYS

Sent a present to your cloud.
    Just came out, I saw the alert.

Lady at the Courthouse was sweet.
    CA restr order registered with locals.

• Technically, she's in no way related, and I think I could be great for her, especially if she's clingy and I know that would be a-okay with me...

Phone buzzing - text alerts.

To: Reggie Cool, I'll be on later, ping me when you're free.

I'll check for my present. To Jake, "Man, Tandy's awesome, I wish she could be happy. I don't know why she's so self-conscious around guys when she dates them. And yeah, let's get some tacos, man." We can walk back outta here and hit some tacos at a local Mexican place we dig. They broadcast soccer 24 - 7. Jake loves soccer. Plus, Lea works there. Lea's got connections for some solid weed.
  • edited September 2014

The Real World

You head back to Jake's car and tool over to Little Gordo's for the full on taco-and-fútbol experience. Jake orders his usual barbacoa with extra of the spicy slaw and a syrupy Inca Kola. What's yours?

While you're waiting, your phone pings again, with a notice from your cloud server.

You have received a gift from Tandy!
    A copy of Eve Holt: A Life in Dreams
    is available for you to download
    or read through your device.

Jake slathers his tacos with the usual gallon of house made extra-picante hot sauce.

Jake

"So, your friend from the game. What's her name? Have you seen a picture of her? Is she cute?

• Fish tacos and Dos Equis, some hot sauce, sour cream for dipping, tons of chips and queso.

"Her real name's Reggie." I say as I crunch on some chips, then wash it down. I'm still burning through that hundred buck tip, so I order another beer. "I've only seen one pic, and I saw her cat more than her. She looks cute in the face, and I know she jogs. So... maybe?"
  • The Real World

Jake

"Sounds like a good start. She's not a crazy cat lady, is she?" He chuckles and takes another bite of barbacoa. "Hey, do you want to swing by and say hi to Tandy at work? Maybe bring her a coffee? Her boss is out, so it shouldn't be a problem to stop in for a few minutes."

• I shrug, "I don't think so? She just has one of them, so I think I'm in the clear." He mentions going to see Tandy, which sounds awesome to me. I munch on some chips, "Yeah, man, let's take her some coffee." I eat a bit more, our conversations are never very hurried.

After we finish up, I grab the tray to take it to the trash, force of habit. They have decent coffee here, so I get a couple tall cups to go.
  • The Real World

You grab the coffee and head over to Alfa Juliet. The little bell dings as you enter, and Tandy looks up, clearly a little bored. Her smile brightens the little boutique when she sees you and Jake, though.

Tandy

"My heroes! You have no idea how boring this day has been..." After you set the coffee on the counter, she comes around to give you both a quick hug. Do you count seconds to see if your hug is any longer than the one she gives her brother, Trevian?

Even to the male eye, the store is kind of fun. There are little models of Italian sports and luxury cars (not just Alfa Romeos) tucked away in niches and on shelves all over. The clothes are cute, too... at least you know Tandy looks good in them.

"So, what are you slackers up to? I thought you'd be in the game all day, Trev. Speaking of which, did you get my present?"

• Two and a half seconds longer, so yes.

"We went hi-walking," I use the joke term Tandy made up when I complained once that we were hiking, but it was just walking to Jake. "Then, fish tacos and coffee for you. I'll log some game-time in a bit, but I had to see my roomies." Wow, glad I did, that skirt looks really nice on Tandy.

"How are you doing, other than bored?" I ask as she heads back behind the counter and sips the coffee. It's the perfect mix of creamer, I know, I've studied how she likes it.
  • edited September 2014

The Real World

Jake

"Guys, I'm going to head down the street to the art supply place. I'll be back in half an hour? Is that cool, Trev, schedule-wise?"

He takes his leave.

Tandy

"About Darren, you mean? I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong. Shouldn't I have been able to tell he was married? Here's the scary thing, Trev." She looks at you with those big liquid eyes, starting to mist up again. "If he hadn't ended it, I wouldn't have, either. Wife or no wife, I'd have kept seeing him." She swallows. "What's wrong with me, Trev?"

• She'd be an adulteress? What a sad thing to say. There are so many great people out there. Like always, I move up to help, to hold her. My hands are on Tandy's shoulders, catching her eye, "You love as hard as you can, Tandy. You lose yourself in someone else when you do, and it's one thing that I think is wonderful, and dangerous about you. You know you're awesome, right? There's no need to make yourself second best." I swallow, then say from the pit of my soul, "You need someone who loves you just as much as you love them, Tandy. Someone who'd treat you like the wonderful person you are." Now I'm feeling a little dizzy, I've never come this close to saying something, not ever.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Time dilates. It must, because there is no way that she looks into your eyes for that long, searching for the truth, the intention behind your words. The moment stretches and stretches, and you hold your breath as she leans closer in what to your minds seems slow, slow motion, brings her lips up...

...to your cheek, for a sweet, but quick kiss.

"Thanks, Trev. You're so sweet." And she's back to the coffee.

"So, what's your latest clue?"

• edited September 2014
    "Sweet". sigh. I shake it off. Got lots of irons in the fire. It wouldn't work out. I'm not willing to risk out friendship, and Jake's, for a hook-up.

"Got an actual easter egg." I answer. I rattle off the latest clues to her. Not sure if she'll follow, but a new perspective could help. Plus, it's nice to talk to her.

I send out a quick text during a lull:

To Jessi: How you doing? Want to come over later?
  • edited September 2014

The Real World

Doing alright. Gonna pick up Cassie and hang out. Probably staying in and catching up on sleep tonight. Someone wore me out...

Tandy

"I'll log in tonight for a while. Maybe I can help, even if it's just side errands and whatever. What about this gift shop? And hey, I'm sorry to ask again, but did you get the book I sent you? I thought it might have clues, even if it was a rush job." She looks around the shop, empty except for the two of you.

"Halloween's coming, Trev. Do you want to do group costumes this year?"

• "Oh, shit, Tandy, I'm sorry. Yes, I got the book. It's great!" I feel bad for not thanking her earlier. I reach out to touch her arm, she likes touching. "I bet it will help. I was thinking about logging into some of her old games, too. That's perfect. And I'd love it if you'd side quest with me. Like olllld times." I give her a grin.

Man, that's awesome, gaming with Tandy and not dragging her into it.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Another check for hidden customers. "So... Francesca, the owner? She wants me to go to a fundraiser at the Art Museum, she bought the ticket, but can't go, and wants me to 'represent' Alfa Juliet. She said I could pick out something to wear. Would you give me an opinion?" When you give your assent (was there even really a question?), she runs back to the dressing room after grabbing something off the "hold" rack. This is what she's wearing when she comes back:

Tandy's Dress

"So....?"

• I force myself to appear calm. It is no big thing. Do NOT ogle your BFF's sister, your friend since forever. but I am weak. "It's great! Do you have any other options? You know, for comparison." Want to watch her walk away soooo bad.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy gives a joyful little laugh. "Of course!" She tries on two more dresses, giving you little runway model twirls and a sly grin. And she does twitch it a bit on the way back.

Dress 2Dress 3

She comes back in her work clothes. (Not bad in themselves, mind you.) "Which one, Trev?"

• I smile at each one, and yes, I totally stare when she twitches. I have it so bad for her.

When she comes back and asks again, I shrug, "Number one is adorable. But I thought you looked hot in the black one. The, ah, sleeves are a bit weird, though. The third one is probably my favorite. You have such a lovely neck, and the lacey thing at the bottom is really fun."
  • The Real World

Tandy

"I think you're right, DJTV. I mean, I love that first dress, but it is kinda dirty-old-man bait, isn't it?"

She puts the third dress on the hold rack and carefully puts the other two back where they belong. Just as she finishes, Jake walks back in with a large shopping bag. Tandy sighs dramatically. "Jake, you have an art supply problem. Don't you do most of your stuff digital?"

Jake

Jake shrugs. "We all have our crosses to bear. Trev, you ready to escape this temple of femininity?"

• I shrug, "Yeah, sure. It's not so bad, though. They have, you know, little cars and stuff." I go give Tandy a hug, "Need a date for the thing?" I ask her out loud, make it sound super casual.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy pauses for a moment when you ask, looking you up and down. She moves her finger in a little circle, like asking you to twirl around. Whether you do or you don't, she says, "I don't know. Do you think you're pretty enough to be my date? I mean, the invite does have a +1, but you can't show up in jeans and an old videogame t-shirt."

Jake definitely snickers.

• "I'm fucking adorable." I respond with a grin and a bow. Then, I process the whole wardrobe part. "I'll get some clothes that will work with dress number three." I pause for effect, "Unless you think you can't handle this jelly."
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy snorts derisively, but obviously in good humor. "Seriously? You call that..." she gestures at you, head to toe, "...jelly?"

Jake is laughing out loud now, watching the exchange. It started with your line, and just gets more helpless as Tandy responds.

She walks up toward you, Trev, stops a few feet away. "You're on, Trev. But... you'd better bring it." She takes a step closer and pokes you in the shoulder, like she's just challenged you to a dance-off or something, then turns back to walk to the counter.

Holy shit, Trev. We're either good or lucky. They just posted the leaderboard for the first 24 hours, and you're in the top 100. Number 89, to be exact.

• I raise a diva hand over my head and snap it, really playing up this silly game, "Challenge... accepted."

I grab Jake by the shoulder and help him recover enough to leave. As we're driving back to the house, I text Reggie.

Sweet! I'm heading back to the apartment. Will log on in half an hour and play catchup. Hope to see you on.
  • The Real World

When you get back to the apartment, Jake makes his way to the drawing table and unpacks his new purchases.

Jake

"Thanks for hanging out, man. Pretty good day, yes? Even though I have no idea how you're going to manage to suit up to go to that thing with Tandy." He chuckles and sits down to work.

---END SCENE---