[In and Out] Offers (1.9)

edited September 2014 in PnR

Twilight Solstice

You and Jace are back in the game, sitting in the Dancing Jackal Tavern, in a back booth that acts as a privacy shield. You can hear and see the tavern, but no one can see or hear you once you're in the booth. Just as Jace begins to tell you about the leaderboard, your phone rings. How often does that happen? That someone actually calls you?

Regardless, the Caller ID reads, "Melzer-Togawa Industries Marketing."

Comments

• "I got a weird call IRL, Reggie. BRB." I pull off the headset to take the call.

"Hello?"
  • The Real World

A very perky voice speaks up, introducing herself as Tonya Castillo, from the Corporate Marketing Division of Melzer-Togawa Industries. After you exchange the requisite pleasantries, she gets to the heart of the matter. "Have you heard of Black Marlin Gaming Tech?" You have, of course. Very high end gaming kit. The sort of things that make your rig look like pencils, dice and paper. "Black Marlin is a subsidiary of Melzer-Togawa. Corporate Marketing has determined that it would be super exciting to sponsor a player that is a contender in Eve's Last Game, and extensive analysis has led us to offer you this sponsorship. Isn't that great!"

• That's... weird. I mean, I've heard of sponsorships, but I'm barely in the top 100. "I'm interested in hearing some more about this. Can you email me some details?"
  • The Real World

You think you almost hear Tonya sigh. "Trevian, may I call you Trevian? I think it might be in your best interests to hear me out. There are other candidates, although not as many as you might think."

• I pause for a moment. This could be bs, but it might not be. "Sorry. I'm in the game. Give me a second to pull back.... okay, sorry about that. I'm all ears." I could use some money. Maybe this is a good thing.
  • The Real World

"Well, first, I'm sure you'd love to know why you? Millions of people play Twilight Solstice, right? Our analysts figure that of those million, maybe ten thousand have any chance of completing 'The Mad Dragon's Crown' competitively."

Apparently Black Marlin is an industry partner, and as such has access to toon-by-toon play profiles (without user information). Time logged, style of play, XP-per-play-hour, gold-per-play-hour, and hundreds of other metrics which allow them to develop both marketing and R&D strategies for their equipment.

"Abaddon's metrics are consistent across sessions, so we were confident Abaddon wasn't a coalition toon, and we knew he wasn't farming gold. Of all the toons in the top 1000, Abaddon spent the least time in the game during the first 24 hours, and given your position on the list that means that you play smart and don't rely on brute force or the long slog. Abaddon is well above average in the amount of in-character interaction he displays outside of raids and PvP, so we have a sense that you are socially adept. That sort of thing."

In this circumstance, Melzer-Togawa analysts cross-correlated data for a number of toons in the leaderboard top thousand that exhibited "promising behaviors" against a text-data cube mined from hundreds of TSol internet forums, public chat logs, and the like, then looked for profiles that identified the players of those toons.

"One of your profiles gave your age, and we were able to mine for demographic information and photos. Frankly, you're young and you're cute, and we think you'll do well in public situations."

The torrent of words and explanations pauses briefly. "Do you have any questions so far?"

• "Wow." I say with a bit of surprise. I thought maybe this was some kind of cold calling wide net, but they did their homework. "Tonya, I'm sorry I was distracted. You have my full attention. What does Black Marlin want me to do?"
  • The Real World

"Frankly, we want to exploit the hell out of you, Trevian." Still in that chipper voice. "Twilight Solstice is now the most interesting thing in the world. We want to give you the tools to do well, and then put you in front of people to talk about something you love."

The offer she lays out is something like this. Black Marlin will give you and one other player you designate a full set of their top-of-the-line Peregrine 4000 gaming kit and provide you a stipend that more than covers your living expenses, in exchange for your agreement to do public and media appearances (no more than two per week), for which you will be compensated an additional fee, according to a rate schedule attached to the contract. The contract terminates immediately upon the moment the first player completes the quest, but Black Marlin will guarantee you a "continuing relationship" for at least a year if you finish in the Top Ten. The contract (which she will send once she has a verbal agreement in principle) will also include some public decency language (basically, don't get charged with a crime or get caught doing something violent or stupid on video). The corporation will also provide legal representation for any actions relating to the game or the quest.

"This may seem a lot for you to take in, Trevian, but it's really pretty standard, even if the circumstances are unusual. I do suggest you get independent counsel to review before you sign. That is, if you're interested?"

• "I smoke weed." It's the first thing that comes to mind. "I can stop, but it's in my blood, I'd fail almost any drug test because of the cannabis in my system. Is that a problem? Also, I've got a partner, she's my lore person, we're working the quest together. She plays Jace, in my guild. She's cute, a veterinarian in training, about my age and smart. She needs to be part of this."
  • The Real World

Tonya chuckles. "We're not going to test you for THC, Trevian, and it's not going to be a problem unless you get charged with something a bit worse than possession. A little pot is not a PR problem, these days."

When you mention Jace, you can hear the smile in Tonya's voice. "Are you a couple, Trevian?"

• I pause for a bit. "We aren't." I answer honestly. "But we've been a couple in game, and we're meeting IRL for the first time in a week. She's really cool about me doing the main questing and I dont' want to screw her out of something exciting like this. Plus, who doesn't love a girl gamer?" I hope she hears the smile in my voice.
  • The Real World

"Girl gamers are marketing gold, especially if she's as you describe. You are the name on the Leader Board, though. How about this? You already have two sets of gear to do what you want with. We'll bring the total stipend up to 150% of current and split it between the two of you as you decide." 75% of the original figure she mentioned would still be a decent improvement on what you make at the restaurant. "I can come up with a rate schedule for joint appearances and append it to the contract. If she does solo appearances, she'll get 85% of your rates."

That was fast, Trevian. She just rattled that off. Do you think she's that good? Or are her researchers so formidable that she was just waiting for you to bring Reggie into the conversation?

• "That works, Tonya." I reply without much hesitation. "Thanks for everything. I'm on with Jace right now. Anything else you need from me before I get back in the game?"
  • edited September 2014

The Real World

"If you explain the offer to your friend, then get back to me with her preferred email address, I'll arrange for her contract to be sent. If you'll give me your physical address, I'll complete your contract and have it in your box within five minutes. I'll also have the gear couriered to you, under the assumption that you'll sign the deal once you've had it vetted. Should I send both sets to you?"

• edited September 2014
    "Yes, please." I give her my snail mail addy, finish up whatever she needs. This is huge, man. HUUUUGE! "I'll get Reggie's okay and her email right away. Thanks, Tonya!"
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace

As soon as you log back in and find yourself back in the booth with Jace, she jumps in with the question. "What was it? Weird how? And I've got some bad news, but you first."

• "I have crazy good news. So, you tell me the bad stuff so I can trump it with the awesome."
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace

"Okay. I keep a bot running to scan the in-game and secondary markets for interesting artifacts offered and sold. Turns out your good friend Roddik, who is at spot 92 on the leader board, by the way, just purchased the Orb of Agurzil on tsol-loot.com. For $20,000."

The Orb of Agurzil is one of the few absolutely unique artifacts in the game, created during a beta test of the original PvP mechanics and never deleted from the database for whatever mysterious reason. What does it do? It overrides normal PvP restrictions, allowing a player to initiate combat with any toon, regardless of Path, Clan, Level, and regardless of whether the PvP Flag is set to "Yes."

"So, I hope your news is good."

• My toon makes an appropriate "Oh shit" face reaction to the news about Roddik. In answer to my news being good, "It is. And I'm dropping to chat to share it."

"That call from earlier? It was Black Marlin Gaming Tech. They want to sponsor us during the tourney. There's money and slick gear involved, even a few public appearances!"
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

Reggi

"The what the what? Why would they include me? You're the one on the leaderboard. Also, how much money, and what gear, and what do you mean appearances?" Words are just tumbling out, and you hear her take a deep breath. "Okay, start from the beginning, Trev. The phone rings, and..."

• edited September 2014
    "They're including you because you're my partner. They didn't know you were helping because you're not on the leaderboards, but I told them we're a package deal. Then, I mentioned you were pretty cute, which didn't hurt."

I fill her in on the details, as well.
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

Trev... I would ordinarily give you a verbal kick in the balls for negotiating for me without talking to me first. I'm going to skip that, though, because I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED! Did you ever think someone would pay you to play this game? I'm warning you now, when you pick me up on Tuesday, you're going to be kissed. Thoroughly.

• edited September 2014
    "So noted, Reggie. And, by the way, the Black Marlin rep was pretty pushy, I was worried she would move on if I delayed. I mean... I am only in the 89th position. Speaking of which, we have to get things progressing to keep the money coming, right?"

I think about that promised kissing for just a moment while I collect my thoughts. "I think there could be clues outside of TSol. Eve made several games before, and my buddy Tandy, she just bought me a copy of her latest book. Can we divvy up some of that as lore research?"
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie

Just as Reggie starts talking, you hear the doorbell ring.

"I'm thinking you're right. I just downloaded the book. It may seem like it must be a rush job because of the timing, but Eve apparently started working with the author right after she was diagnosed. It's a good bet she built some clues in, like you said. On the other thing, the older games? It may seem weird, but TSol is the only online game I've ever played. Maybe you take the games, I'll take the book?"

The Real World

Jake

Jake pokes his head into your room. "Delivery for Mr. Marks! Two big boxes. The guy wants you to sign for it."

• "Sounds like a good plan. I'm so glad you're my elf." I joke with her. Man, it'll be kinda nice to revisit the older games.

Then Jake interrupts me, "Cool, man. On my way." I key in an AFK to Reggie and head out to check out these boxes. Could they be from Black Marlin? That's crazy!
  • The Real World

Believe it or not, the packages are the Black Marlin gear. After you sign for the two boxes and the courier leaves, you see from the routing slips that they came from the big transshipment warehouse in Cary, they were probably already there, waiting to be shipped to an online purchaser.

You rip open the first box, and sure enough, it holds a dozen or so smaller packages, a full set of Peregrine 4000 kit. The P4000 line only came out a few weeks ago, and while you've never actually seen it, you've surely read all the near-orgasmic reviews.

Trevian, which piece of gear has you most excited?

• The 4K haptic gloves, without a doubt. I mean, they say it's one to one touch to feel. I mean, it's already sold out in most markets. There's even a secondary reseller market set up for, ahem, adult activities. You know... so anyways. Oh man, I bet they send this to Reggie! hahahahaha

I'm gearing up before I log back in. I am ripping this stuff open like it's Christmas morning!

"Reggie, I got the Black Marlin stuff ALREADY!" I'll display my gear for her to see. Hell, I'll drop a webcam shot of me in the stuff on the chat.
  • The Real World

The gear looks and feels great, and there was one additional surprise that you weren't expecting, at the bottom of the second box. Apparently the complete package doesn't just include the accessories. There is a full-on, portable console-style gaming machine bundled in. Top of the top of the line, and it only weighs about a pound and a half.

Twilight Solstice

Reggie

"Awesome! You look hawt all kitted up like that, Trev!"

Jace

Jace grins and runs a finger lightly across Abaddon's palm, and the gloves transfer it to you as a tickling touch that gives you goosebumps for a second.

Lots happens over the next hour. You and Reggie both receive contracts from Melzer-Togawa, detailing the terms. Jace has an uncle who's a lawyer, it turns out, and she offers to have him look the documents over. Reggie gets her Black Marlin kit, the same stuff as yours, and you both start downloading the game to your new machines. You make plans for the lore research.

Finally, all the flurry of excitement dies down for a moment.

Jace reaches over and grabs Abaddon's hand. "Want to take this new gear for a spin?" She winks.

• I chuckle lightly. "Yes, Jace. Verrry much." I'll cue up a navpoint to red light district and take her hand. It really is one to one.

I make some light conversation as we travel to a private spot, ask after her jogging buddy, ask how travel plans and packing are going. But mostly my brain is saying over and over oh man, oh man, this is going to be amazing.
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

Jace

"Trev, I have an idea... trust me? If you do, join me and go zombie for... six minutes, no, seven."

• "Sure, I trust you, Reggie." I say it right away, and I realize that yeah, I do trust her. She's like my best online friend. And I'm really into her, too.

I'll join her and go zombie for as long as she wants. This sounds really interesting.
  • Jace

Trevian, you look away from the game for a time, as Jace asked. After about six minutes, she says, Okay, Trev. We're here. She sounds nervous... about your reaction, maybe?

When you open your eyes, you immediately know just where you are. You're standing in front of a familiar statue.

A'Lyssor

Jace touches the statue's hip and, as it gains color and life, says, "A'Lyssor, we have come to... worship."

Is this okay? It seemed like a clever idea, but now I'm afraid it's coming off as just pervy or something.

• Oh. Oh shit, I did not see this coming. Dayum, this girl is devious.

"Reggie, girl, I don't think you're pervy. I think it's pretty hot."

I walk up and take Jace's hand. It feels so real.
  • edited September 2014

Twilight Solstice

A'Lyssor

Ah. The little princeling and his elf. Is your worship freely given this time, or have you another request? I must warn you that I am not some hawker selling secrets off a cart in the streets.

She reaches a hand to touch your face, and you realize what those additional bands from the headset and goggles are for. You feel the brush against your cheek.

• I snicker lightly on chat channel at the repetition of "his elf". I notice Reggie didn't ask to hit her again. mwahahahaha
  • "We mean no slight, A'Lyssor. We have come to worship, to feel your blessings and share our adoration for each other, in your sight." I pull down my mask and smile up at her, hoping my Charisma meets her levels. "If it pleases you."
  • Twilight Solstice

At your snicker, Jace says, Hush, you.

A'Lyssor

If you are truly here solely to worship me, then each of you take a hand, and we will retire to my sanctum. A'Lyssor holds her hands out to you. Jace begins to reach forward, checking that you're with her.

• I am soooo with her.

heh heh

This is gonna be fun. I'm all aflutter.
  • Twilight Solstice

As you both reach to take the goddess's hands, the small shrine fades around you, and you find yourself... elsewhere. You are in the midst of a grove of fruit trees. Oranges, lemons, limes, mangoes, dozens of trees, and each different. The foliage is a rich, vibrant green and the grass beneath your feet looks as soft as a carpet. Light filters in through the leaves, dappling the scene with patches of brightness.

You are, all three of you, naked. Digitally perfect bodies, lovingly rendered in exquisite detail, here in this place of beauty, with the sound of songbirds and the faintest sense of a breeze. A'Lyssor's pale skin glows slightly as her lips curl into a smile at once wise, knowing and playful.

This is where I was before, when you were getting the palm wine. Isn't it cool?

The goddess draws you by the hands to a cleared space strewn with large pillows and blankets in jewel tones. She releases your hands and reaches up to take your face in both of hers. Something about her touch seems to be more than just pressure. There is the smallest and most subtle of vibrations, enough to feel as a tingle on your skin. She kisses you deeply, and although there are of course no feedback points on your lips, somehow those that do touch your face manage to convey a sense of light pressure. You hear a sigh from Jace as she looks on.

A'Lyssor reclines gracefully onto the cushions.

It is long and long since I have felt the freely given devotion of mortals. Come down to me now, both of you, that I may teach you rightly how to worship A'Lyssor.

Jace takes your hand and draws you down with her onto the softness of the cushions. The goddess reaches out to both of you, drawing your hands to her body, pulling Jace in for a kiss.

What do you do?

• When Reggie tells me this is where she was taken, I agree, "Wow, this is amazing."

Then A'Lyssor pulls us along to her blankets and pillows and I'm smiling as I go. I know it isn't real, but having seen Reggie IRL, the image of Jace is enhanced somehow. I mean, Reggie's really pretty, and Jace is, like you say, flawless. But the idea of Reggie as Jace removes so many of the little mental blocks I'd put up before during sexytimes. This time, it feels more raw, more genuine, and I'm fully immersed.

I join Jace on the cushions, my hands moving along her waist, enjoying the sensations of her smooth skin. A'Lyssor moves in to kiss her, and I just want to watch. Is Reggie bisexual? I'm curious, especially with how she "defended herself" before about A'Lyssor, and how she sought out this experience when she thought about testing out our gear. Makes a person wonder.

I'm not going to touch A'Lyssor first, would rather let a powerful piece of AI guide me to "worship". But I know Jace's body, and some of her likes and dislikes, so I will touch her. I'm moving down to kiss her shoulder, down her left arm. In real life, I would hit more erogenous zones, of course, but it's TSol, so you hit where they can feel it first to establish the sensation, then you can move around and let their imagination carry you.

Hey, don't judge. It's how it goes.
  • Twilight Solstice

Reggie's tone is low and husky in the headset. Trevian, this new gear is so... good. She gasps when Abaddon kisses the inside of Jace's elbow. Her breathing is getting heavy enough to hear as a constant background.

A'Lyssor disengages from her kiss with Jace. With both hands, she traces a line down the inner skin of your arm and Jace's at the same time, and you hear another sharp intake of breath from Reggie. After teasing your palms for a few seconds, she reaches out to bring both of your mouths down to her firm breasts. As your POV moves closer, you can see the fine detail of her erect nipples against the glowing, pale skin. Just as Abaddon's lips touch the areola, Reggie begins speaking in the headset.

Trev, play with me... Imagine that her skin smells like orange blossoms and her nipples taste just slightly of red wine. Imagine that you can feel your tongue passing over that perfect nipple, that you can see the goosebumps on my skin. Are you hard, Trev? I'm getting so turned on.

• Damn, this is so hot. My mind is swirling with her imagery and the sensations on my skin that is completely new and unreal. I imagined my first threeway would be awesome. I sort of hoped it would happen IRL. Beggars can't be choosers. I'm just saying.

Reggie starts with her dirty talk. It always gets to me. She does like to scratch that itch. Hot dayum. I'm suckling at A'Lyssor right beside Jace when I reach up to stroke the back of Jace's head, reaching my fingers down to gently stroke the tips of her pointed ears. Don't ask me why, but that blows Reggie's mind. She normally curses like a sailor when I do that. She said once it was because she felt the pointed tips which is a thing for her, she is really into elves. Like, she mentioned weekend LARPs for a while. Now that I know how cute she is, I wish I'd taken her up on that weekend offer she made a few months ago. But hey, there's the future, right?

"Yes, Reggie, I'm hard as a rock," I whisper, because of the roomies. I think Jake is still around, so I'm keeping it down. I reach a hand over to her thigh, right in a very sensitive spot, then I probe upwards, so she can imagine where I'm headed. Of course, I can feel her toon's body, but she needs to imagine the sensation. "You like this, don't you, Reggie? You wanted this. Me and you and her, this is exactly what you wanted. I know you, my elf, my planner and lore mistress, you've been imagining this for a little while, haven't you? Tell me, is this just a dream, or is this something you enjoy, boys and girls? Tell me the truth, you dirty girl."
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace

Jace's body wriggles a bit as you touch her, and the breathing in your headset notches up in volume.

The goddess pulls Jace up to her for another deep kiss, while she directs your mouth lower with a gentle touch of her hand. When you look up, you see Jace doing something odd with her hands, as if miming something that makes no sense in this context.

I'm taking off my right glove, Trev, and I think maybe you should take one off, too. Do you know why I'm taking my glove off? It's because I'm going to touch myself while Abbadon touches Jace, and I don't want my nice new glove to get all sticky.

The goddess writhes as you follow her silent instructions. You can sense some of the pressure of her thighs on the sides of your head. Soon, she lets out a musical wail and bucks under you. This goes on for a full minute before she sighs. Princeling, that was a start. Perhaps I shall watch you and your elf enjoy each other before I instruct you further?

She scoots back further onto the cushions as Jace turns her attention to you.

Did you take a glove off, Trev? Are you holding it in your hand?

• The welled up tension of this is amazing. I'm really into going down on a goddess, it's super hot. Reggie's dirty talk is ten times better.

"I'm doing it, too. I'm inside you, Reggie. Watch Abaddon and think about me." Then, I'm just going for it, my head's kind of lost in the play, in all the flirting with her, "Just you wait, Reg. on Tuesday, I'm going to do it again. But better, much better. I'm going to wear you out, girl."

I'm thrusting my hips and pumping my hand and shit, I'm going to need to change, but this is good. I wonder if Reggie is this wild in the actual sack. I doubt it, I know I'm nowhere near as vocal. But then, she really brings it out of me. Literally, in this case.

I do my best to have Abaddon fulfill Jace and A'Lyssor, but well, I'm sort of a mess for a bit, and have to log to clean up.
  • Twilight Solstice

The goddess and Jace both seem satisfied indeed, and as you and Reggie agree to log off for clean-up purposes, she whispers over chat. Damn. That was... fine. If you're serious about Tuesday... well, let's just say I'm planning on bringing my 'A' game, too. Glad I didn't freak you out.

There is an amazingly human longing in A'Lyssor's voice even though it still holds the slightly echoing tone of a goddess. I hope that you will return, mortals, before I sleep again. Take my blessing with you when you go. An "item" appears in your inventory, and Jace's. It's named simply, "The Blessing of A'Lyssor," and there is no descriptive text or indication of what its function might be.

The Real World

After you've signed off and cleaned yourself up, but before you've fully re-dressed (you're in clean boxer briefs, but no shirt or pants yet), there's a knock on your door. Tandy asks, "Trev? You want to talk about the quest thing? How I can help, maybe?"

• edited September 2014
    I stroke A'Lyssor's cheek fondly, "Rest assured, milady goddees. We will return to worship."

Before I log, I answer Reggie, "I'm serious. I really like you, Reggie. If it happens, that's awesome. If not, we're still partners. Cool?"displaying myself, but I'm not hiding behind it. We've been swimming tons of times, no need to be falsely modest. Plus, hey, maybe she'll look, and that would be amusing as hell.

"Well Tandy," I answer. "Let me finishing changing and I'll come out so we can talk about it. Cool?" Of course, I glance at her. Curious how she's dresses. Is she "in for the night" or "going out later"? When she slouches down a bit, I can tell she's staying in. It normally goes that way after a breakup, she becomes a bit of a homebody.
  • The Real World

Tandy

"Sure, Trev." She sounds a little forlorn, a definite change from her playful tone at the boutique earlier.

When you come out into the little living room of the apartment, you can tell for sure she's staying in tonight. She's wearing those pink sweats with the name of your high school (Panther Creek) across the ass, and a short, loose t-shirt that lets a little midriff peek through. She's sitting on the sofa with her legs pulled up under her, and on the coffee table is an open can of Pocari Sweat (which Tandy started drinking when they launched their lunar dream capsule back in 2015, when she was nine and you were eleven) and a nearly empty box of Pocky, which has been her favorite snack pretty much forever.

With these clues, it would be clear that Tandy's in full-on comfort mode, but the kicker? She's watching Frozen. And she cued it up to "Let it Go."

Jake's out. Did he mention what he was doing this evening, Trev?

What do you do?

• "It's as bad as I feared." I announce when I walk in, glancing over at the ancient movie and the arrangement of snacks. It's a little joke, we've been through this a few times over the years. It really breaks my heart when she does this. I know it's a process for her, but this middle part, the hurting, it's hard to watch. I really liked playful Tandy.

I grab a seat by her on the couch, picking up some pocky of my own, but not finishing it off, because that would be badness. I sing along with the closing part of "Let It Go", because she made me memorize it. Or I did through osmosis. Or whatever. It's not a bad song.
  • edited September 2014

The Real World

Tandy

After "Let it Go" ends, Tandy looks over and gives you a hint of a smile. "So... Anything good happen today after you left the store? Did you get into anything interesting?"

• "Yeah! Didn't you see the bigass cardboard boxes in the kitchen?" I'm all smiles. "I've got a sponsor.... the end is night, because I'm getting paid to game, Tandy." I jump up to run back into my room and bring out one of my gloves to show her. "Dig this sucker! It's got one to one haptic, it's real." I'll let her try it on if she wants.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy's admiration of your new toys is sincere, if maybe a bit befuddled. "That's really cool. Hey, how much are they paying you? Are you quitting the restaurant?"

Just at that moment, your phone buzzes.

Out to dinner with Cassie. Do you have a shift tomorrow? I think you do. I'm filling in for Larry.
  • I smirk at her confusion, "It's not exactly sized for you, but if you want to try it out for a bit, let me know. It's pretty immersive." She asks about the pay, I shrug, "It's enough to keep me ahead of rent, should be good for some laughs. I'll prolly stop scrounging for hours at the restaurant, but I won't quit. I mean, who knows how long the gravy train will last, you know?" Plus, there's Jessi. I don't want to leave her alone right now.

Speaking of which.
    To: Jessi I'm working dinner rush. I think I'm out before you, but we can hang. Hey, I need to go clothes shopping tomorrow. Wanna help a brotha out? Trev
  • The Real World

Tandy

"So, is there anything I can do to help with the quest, oh mighty professional gamer?" Her words are teasing, but it's clear that her heart isn't in the joke. She eats another Pocky and settles deeper into the sofa.

I'd be happy to help. Your style lacks a certain... style. What are you dressing for?
  • I wish Tandy wasn't in a mood, but I respect it. I've learned not to try and talk her out of it. It's one of her things. "Well, I will be doing some PR stuff for Black Marlin, so tips on dressing and, you know, not looking like an idiot, that'd be nice."

To: Jessi ha ha, very funny. ho ho, it is to laugh. My roomie needs a Plus One for a work thing. She works for a boutique, so I can't schlub out.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy frowns, almost a pout, but not self-conscious enough to qualify. "Nothing I can do in the game? I know I'm not high-level, but you said I was pretty good, didn't you? And I've got some free time..."

Your superhot roomie needs a 'Plus One' and you ask me to shop with you? Sure, I'll help a BROTHA out.

"Who're you texting with?"

• I look over at my "superhot roomie" and grin. I love how she's trying, it's cool. "Well, I've got a bunch of quests that might hit gold or they might lead nowhere. I could share some with you. If you want, I can re-size my old gear for you, it's in good shape." She asks about my texting and I shrug, "Jess. You remember her, right? We work together at the Dipper."

To: Jessi Srsly, Jess. I've known her since she was eight. She's my BFF's lil sister. Her BF turned out to be married and she's stuck. BTW, that wasn't exactly a "no". I'll pick you up at 10 AM tmrw Trev
  • The Real World

Doofus. Make it 10:30, and you'd better have coffee in the car.

Tandy

Tandy seems to brighten a little when you say you can include her in the in-game stuff. "I'd like that. Like to help, somehow."

Another message pops up on your phone.

Hey, Abaddass. BrokeNL has gone pure nuts. He's talking about dissolving WeMar, which he can do unilaterally because he's the admin. Where have you been?

The movie's still playing. Tandy scoots over and leans her head on your shoulder, watching as Anna and the goofy little snowman head into the blizzard to find Kristoff and his reindeer.

• To: Jessi That's a deal. Will have primo coffee for you at 10:30 stat. Have fun with Cassie! Trev

My shoulder buzzes a little when she lays on it, and I reflexively put an arm around her. It's nothing smexy, just friendly. Almost brotherly, I guess. Yes, I have urges, but I will NOT be her rebound guy. Plus, there's jealous Jessi and hawt Reggie. I can only juggle so much. Enjoying Tandy time, though. Even slouchy, she smells great.

Bloo pinging me IRL? That's rare.
    To: Bloo I'm questing, that's what I'm doing. I'm taking a break from WeMar, too much drama. If you guys get your poop in a group, lmk. I'm not mad, but this quest is way more interesting than the drama, get me? Abbs
  • The Real World

...and that's it. No more texts, no more phone calls, no more astounding offers, untoward revelations, or sexual advances. Just the last 20 minutes of Frozen, Tandy snuggled up to your side, and the last two Pocky, one of which she gives to you. As the credits roll (Tandy always insists on watching all the way through the credits), she sighs. "Soooo much better than the sequel." She stands up and starts gathering the trash.

Tandy comes back from the kitchen with two bottles of water and perches at the end of the sofa, angled toward you. "Trev? What do you want to be when you grow up? Jake is so sure he's on his path of making art for a living, sometimes it makes me feel like a leaf floating in a pond, you know?"

• I give Tandy that look, like "I totally get you, girl". "I've always been trying to keep up with your brother, and never quite pulling it off. It's like, I'm in this malaise waiting for a direction and he's three moves ahead. I mean, he's practically married, really moving up. Me? I work at a fondue restaurant and hang out playing games."

I chomp on the last bit of pocky, "I have no idea, Tandy. Who I want to be when I grow up. I mean, it'd be great to make games like Eve, and I'm taking classes... but shit, she was coding games in third grade." I give her a grin, "I was daring kids to taste the flagpole and making fireworks in the basement then."
  • edited October 2014

The Real World

Tandy makes a sour face. "Yeah, I remember." She shakes her head ruefully. "I would have done anything you guys told me to, back then. Remember when I was, like, in second grade? You told me Mrs. McCormack really loved frogs, and I should bring her one for the first day of school? I got my new dress filthy in the creek before school, and when I tried to hand her the frog she screamed and fainted. I got in so much trouble. And the next day I still would've jumped off a bridge if you'd told me it was cool."

She leans back, then holds out her bottle in a toast. "Here's to drifting aimlessly. At least we've got each other, right?"

• Oh man, I remember that. She was, at the time, incredibly annoying. Always around for her big brother, this sweet little girl who wore pigtails and always did her homework and had the most amazing handwriting and it drove me crazy. Fourth grade me was so jealous of her having an awesome brother like Jake, and why wouldn't she just leave us alone?

I was pretty awful to her back then. It's weird that she reminds me of it, but never complains. She should. I should have apologized for the pranks and the lies. I never hurt her, but I made her cry a couple times. Not on purpose, but I didn't really plan things out. I never plan things out very well, even now.

Things got better just before high school. Or, well, it switched around. She became this adorable young girl, and I started noticing girls, and well, I stopped being mean to her. I even beat up the first guy who broke up with her, on a totally made up reason, not at all because he broke her heart, or because she kissed him at the ninth grade dance.

Ancient history.

I meet her bottle in a toast. "A pair of pretty leaves on the wind of life."

I kinda want to go beat up her doctor ex.
  • The Real World

Tandy

"You're not that pretty, Trey-trey." She punches you playfully in the arm. "I'm going to go look at pictures of dresses. It's my job, after all. Stand up." When you do, she moves in for a big hug, with her cheek against your chest. She murmurs, "Thank you."

Trevian, who breaks off the hug? You or Tandy?

• I kiss the top of her head, chaste kiss. "You're welcome, Tandy." I hold her for a moment, she feels really nice. Then I do the squeeze thing and step back, still holding her shoulder lightly. "Enjoy the dresses, I'm going to log back in for a bit, look through open quests and split off a few to send to your account. If you can't get to them in the next few days, let me know, kay?"

I'll head back into my room. But I'll check out Eve's book before I log in.
  • The Real World

Tandy agrees, heads to her room for some virtual dress shopping.

As you scan through the book, you see what Reggie was talking about. It's not a quick turn-around piece of crap, but a really thoughtful examination of a too-short life and the art and technology that came out of it. It covers all the ground, from her earliest life in Appalachia through her cancer diagnosis at the age of 36, with a short afterword, a tribute from her business partner Rama Patel.

Anything in particular you're looking for? There's a lot to read.

• I'll start at the beginning. It's a good read, so I'll knock out an hour. I don't expect a big reveal right off, so after a few chapters, I skip ahead to Peace. Maybe there's something there.

I get Tonya's email on my comm, so I sent Reggie a chat message:

To: Reggie Hey, want to meet Black Marlin Tonya when you're in? I was thinking Weds, but I know you've got stuff. She's paying for lunch or supper! Trev
  • The Real World

Sure! Why not! I'll look forward to that. Wednesday night is clear. Trev, I'm really looking forward to seeing you.

You read for a bit, but nothing in particular catches your eye. You're certain that Reggie is diligently highlighting and researching and cross-checking, though, so the book isn't your main priority.

After you send Tandy a few promising, level-appropriate solo quests to run through, you log off of TSol and fire up Peace of Ages for the first time in a while. The startup soundtrack is as stirring and majestic as you remember. As soon as you get to the opening choice screen (New Game/Continue Game/Settings), a window pops up.

Patch Available. Download?
    Yes | No

Of course you click yes, and the file starts spooling in.

You don't find any of the new content tonight, and the log file is extra cagey about what was downloaded.

Eventually, even you have to sleep, especially if you're clothes shopping tomorrow.

--End Scene--