[In and Out] Friends with Benefits (2.3)

edited October 2014 in PnR

The Real World

Tandy

Tandy's all set by only a few minutes after your scheduled departure time. (Is that some sort of record, Trev, only five minutes more than expected to get ready?) She's wearing the dress you chose.

Tandy's Dress

She actually gives a little whistle when she sees you. "You should dress up to your hotness more often, Trev. You look really great."

Comments

• Trevian
    Mouth dry. Can't stare. Holy shit she looks good in that dress. "That dress never looked so good as it does on you. I can' wait to get you out on the dance floor, Tandy." Wow. Just... just wow.
  • The Real World

Tandy

"And I can't wait to be gotten out onto the dance floor. Hope your new hottie didn't wear you out too much for some Tandy time!" She grabs her little purse and a cute black coat. She doesn't put the coat on before she sashays ahead of you to the door, swinging her hips a little extra for dramatic effect.

As you follow, you put your foot down just a little wrong, and your ankle twinges in a reminder of your role (collateral damage) in the chick fight earlier.

• Trevian
    Before Reggie, I'd be barely able to contain myself watching Tandy's ass in that dress. Even after Reggie, I'm still wearing a bit of a goofy smile. "I always have room for Tandy time."
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy slips on her coat as you walk out to the car. With a cute little frown, she brushes a little bit of coleslaw off the passenger seat and gets in.

You pull up to the front of the Art Museum. The valet sneers a little bit as you hand her the keys to your car, but she takes them and drives it off to the parking lot. Tandy takes your arm as you climb the steps to the entrance of the five-year-old Safdie Architects designed building, all curves and glass. When you enter, it's like a scene out of a movie.

There's a DJ spinning a familiar dance tune, with beautifully dressed couples of all ages moving energetically around the dance floor in the middle of the big, elliptical room, making spirals around the two fountains at the foci. Subtly programmed LEDs gradually shift colors, washing the water, the periphery of the room and the fluted structural columns with a changing play of light. As you adjust to the restrained noise of the ongoing party and the beat and bass the speakers are pumping out, you distinctly hear the pop of a champagne bottle between beats and chatter.

"Wow." She squeezes your arm as you approach the coat-check.

• Trevian
    I let the valet's look slide off. She's right, it's a hooptie. But once we're out of it, it's all class. The music is kicking and I'm getting hyped: pretty girl, posh party, bumpin' tunes.

"Wow's right." I agree as I walk up to check my coat. I let Tandy check hers unless she seems like I should be doing that.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy shrugs her cute black coat off her shoulders and waits for you to take it and hand to the coat-check guy. She has an easy way of assuming and accepting your masculine attentions. You recall the string of older men she's dated since you were both teenagers (she still is, technically... nineteen). I assume you shrug that off like Tandy shrugs off her coat, right?

Regardless, you walk out into the midst of the party. Tandy presents her invitation to the pretty but somewhat attenuated middle-aged woman standing "guard" at a table, and you are admitted with a nod and a surgically tightened smile.

There are bars to the left and right, tables with food spaced along the periphery. Tandy looks around like a kid in the proverbial candy-shop.

What catches your attention, Trevian?

• Trevian
    The note that it's a "free open bar" was one. The gigantic dance floor with lots of people actually dancing on it, that's another. But right now, I'm hitting the food table. Who cuts filet mignon and lobster into Hors d'oeuvres? Evidently these guys do!

"Who's throwing this party, Tandy?" I ask as I lead her by the arm to the food table and table a piece of steak on a cracker. "This is swanky." I give her a grin. She fits right in.
  • edited October 2014

The Real World

Tandy

Tandy looks around with bright eyes as she daintily eats a lobster-filled pastry puff. "James Goodnight. The guy that founded SAS. He's probably here somewhere. Oh my god! That's an Alessandra Rich!" She nods toward a tall, model-looking woman in a really amazing dress and grabs your hand. "Champagne or boogie?"

• Trevian
    I stuff a third steak-cracker in my mouth and wash it down with cherry-flavored punch, "The only answer is to boogie!" I'll take her hand and lead her to the dance floor. This is awesome.

I wonder if Reggie likes dancing?

• The Real World

Tandy

The DJ is pretty awesome, managing to play a little something for everyone without the set being too disjointed or boring. You and Tandy dance happily for several songs, and although you need to be a little careful with your ankle, it's not cramping your style much. The music slows down, a modern remix of "The Tennessee Waltz." Tandy folds easily into your arms as you sway near one of the fountains. An older couple nearby looks into each other's eyes as they execute a perfect, graceful waltz. A hint of vanilla reaches your nose as Tandy hums along softly with the old tune. Then she stiffens.

"Oh shit."

• Trevian
    Damn. I love that smell. I'm looking at that fountain, seeing the light dancing off the moving water, watching the waltzing couple. I've always wanted to learn how to waltz, it's so sweeping and graceful. My right hand's on her lower back, she's got great form. Hard not to get drawn into her right now.

Then she looks surprised, and I try to casually look around. I whisper down to her, "What is it?"
  • The Real World

Tandy

"Darren." Suddenly, she is on the verge of tears. "And his wife, I think." You follow her look to a very attractive couple about five years older than you. The man's eyebrows rise as he spots Tandy, but he continues dancing.

• Trevian
    Oh shit. I ignore his look at Tandy, watching her. "You didn't expect him? Do you... want to step off the dance floor?" This song is my jam, girl, let's keep going.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy looks up at you, those big dark eyes moist with tears that haven't quite been shed. "No. I don't. I want to waltz with you. And... if... would you kiss me, Trev? I want him to see you kiss me." She tilts her head slightly, to make it easy.

• Trevian
    This is not how I imagined a kiss with her would go down. I feel a little odd about it. Excited, a little, I dunno, guilty and a tiny bit used.

But I look in those eyes of hers, so sad and needy. I sweep her into my arms with a bit of a flourish and lay one on her. I'm not french kissing and to be honest, I'm sort of blocking him with the way I tilted her back. But it's a definite kiss. Not a short one. One hand on her lower back, the other cradles her.

It feels pretty great.
  • edited October 2014

The Real World

Tandy

Tandy meets your kiss for a few seconds, her lips soft against yours. When you pull her back up and the kiss breaks, she gives a funny half-smile. "That was nice." She's looking over your shoulder, watching Dr. Darren, you're sure. She leans in, pulling you down so she can whisper in your ear. "Thank you, Trey-Trey. We might have to, you know, do that again, though, just to make sure he sees."

The song ends, replaced by something with a latin beat. Without moving away from you, Tandy's hips start following the syncopation. It makes no sense, but you could swear her hand on your back feels hot, even through the fabric of your suit coat and shirt.

• Trevian
    To make sure he sees? C'mon, Tandy. Jake would beat me senseless if he saw that kiss!

I don't answer her, but I do keep dancing. My hands drift to her hips, and we dance closer. There's nothin wrong with a little sexy dancin. I don't want to make out with her, that's not going to solve anything between her and Darren, and it will only cause trouble for both of us, for different reasons.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy doesn't push it, at least not immediately, but she's definitely ramping up the sexy with her moves. Trev, have you and Tandy ever gone out dancing before, without Jake or some group of friends?

Soon enough, she pulls you off the floor to a table loaded with champagne bottles and fluted glasses. The waiter is about your age. His nametag reads, "Reggie." Tandy scoops up a glass of champagne without letting go of your hand and starts to sip. "We should probably mingle a little. I'm supposed to be here for work, gotta show off my dress and find some customers to chat up, right? Help me avoid Darren, though, or you're going to have to kiss me again."

• Trevian
    We've gone out dancing in groups, never her and me only. I was nervous the first few times Jake didn't come along, but she could never really drink, and I was careful, so we mostly danced with groups, not together.

"Alright, let's mingle," I agree. I'll do my best to help her socialize, not really worrying about Darren. I mean, the guy should be old news.

At some point when we're between chats with other people, I take her over to the snack table, lean into her ear, "So we're clear, the kiss was nice, but you know, kinda weird. Also, I know the Darren thing is still rough, but we can still have a good time tonight. Worrying about making him jealous or whatever means you're showing him you still give a shit. And even if you do, he doesn't need to know that. He's a selfish prick and he broke your heart."
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy pouts a little. "I hate it when you're right. That's usually Jake's job. But you are right. That wasn't fair of me." She stops to greet a too-skinny forty-something wearing a black sheath dress that hugs tightly to her non-existent curves. "Mrs. Jamieson! It's a pleasure to see you. Your special order should be in tomorrow, if the shippers remember to turn on their GPS this time."

Who do you run into here that you know, Trev?

• Trevian
    Well, well, well. If it isn't Kelly Kipowski. I'd heard through FB that she'd become the trophy wife of Assistant DA McCarter, and now I see it for myself. There she is, on his arm. If only "Good Old Joe" (that's what he calls himself on his political ads) knew what she was like in high school.

I'll give her a nod and a wave, but stick by Tandy. Tandy hated her. Kelly was a trip, that's for sure. There was nothing she wouldn't do if she was high enough. I assume her wild days are behind her, which is probably a good thing.
  • The Real World

You stick by Tandy, but Kelly sees your wave and comes over. "Trevian!, Tandy! How the hell are y'all? You dating now?"

You can feel Tandy tense. Dr. Darren does happen to be within earshot, and you notice that he turns slightly, listening.

• Trevian
    Damn. He would be right here.

I put an arm around Tandy, "Oh, you know. We're together. It's awesome. She's amazing!" I kiss her cheek, then turn to Kelly, "How's married life?"
  • edited October 2014

The Real World

Tandy

Tandy leans into you a little and smiles, pretending to be very interested in what Kelly has to say.

"Well, aren't you two just the cutest! Married life is great. I'm driving the new Tesla Singularity, have you seen one? And Good Ol' Joe's awful busy, so I have plenty of time for lessons at the racket club, Pilates, and lunch dates with my besties. Tandy! You should join us sometime!"

• Trevian
    "The Singularity?" I say with surprise. "Wow, I've only seen images. That's great, Kelly. Good for you. I'm glad you're having so much fun." Then, I slide a little closer, pulling Tandy along with me. I drop my voice, but make sure Tandy can hear, "Do you still party?"
  • The Real World

Kelly slaps your arm lightly. "Of course not, silly! I am the wife of a respected public servant!" But her eyes lock on yours and tell a different story entirely. "I would never, say, attend that big underground party in the abandoned pickle factory outside of Cary, next Saturday when Good Ol' Joe is at some big 'District Attorney' conference in Cleveland." She makes a face, then continues, obviously quoting herself. "Why honey, you just know I'd love to come with you to Cleveland, but I have that charity tennis tournament, remember? Silly..."

• edited October 2014
    Trevian
    I look at Tandy with mock surprise, "I like pickles. How about you, sweetie?" I'm curious how she plays this.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy was humming so softly to herself that you only notice when she stops, and you're confident Kelly didn't at all. The song was the kid's ditty, "Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day." You know that the lyrics in her head are, "Kelly, Kelly, go away, fuck yourself and die in a horrible train accident." It's an old shared joke, with the name changed to suit the circumstances. "Oh, sweetie, you know I love pickles! Especially yours!" She bats her eyes and squeezes your hand, hard enough to hurt a tiny bit.

• Trevian
    "Hah! You sure do." I look over at Kelly, "She can't get enough of my dill, you know what I mean, Kell?" I give her a wink, then step back. "Next Saturday then? That sounds awesome."

I look at Tandy, "Hey babe, you wanna hit the dance floor?"
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy holds up her empty champagne flute. "More bubbles, please?" With a very distant air kiss for Kelly, Tandy starts pulling you away toward that goal. I'll assume you follow.

Once you're a safe distance from Kelly and Darren both, Tandy starts giggling. Starts giggling, because it soon develops into an utter paroxysm of laughter, teeth showing in a way that would horrify her mother. "She... can't... get... enough... of... my... dill... !" You actually have to support her for a few seconds, she's so overcome. Finally, she recovers enough to fan a hand at her face and say, in a broad drawl. "I declare, I have the vapors. Champagne me!"

• Trevian
    Oh whew, her laughter is the best thing in the world. It's all okay. I keep her from falling, and sure, I laugh, too. She's infectious that way. Tandy's my disease, I guess. I take her over to the table. I let her get her own glass, and I'm backing off, since I'm driving. "Hey, I'm driving. If you want to get tipsy, go ahead. I've got you."
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy pauses to greet another customer of the boutique. "I think I'll keep it under control, Trev. I'm here representing Alfa Juliet. Darren threw me off, but you were right. No more fake boyfriend duty for you tonight. I'm actually gonna stop at two." She holds up her glass. "So I can drive, if you want to blow off some steam, enjoy the open bar, find a random hottie and cut some rugs."

• Trevian
    I cock my head and look at her curiously, "Why would I want a random hottie when I've got the hottest of them all right here. Tandy, you're the fucking belle of the ball, and the coolest person I know. I promised to be your date, and I meant it."
  • edited October 2014

The Real World

Tandy

Tandy's mood has turned on a dime, and for the next hour the two of you are quite simply the most charming, attractive, graceful pair of young people you can imagine being. You move from the dance floor to the food tables, through the crowd with words and smiles, back to the dance floor. In a bit, you hear a voice from behind you. "Excuse me, miss, may I steal this attractive man for a dance?" When you turn, you see Lana Stevens, who was a senior your freshman year, on the dance team and the women's volleyball team.

Toni Stevens

She's a blogger and sometime reporter now for a recently formed regional content cooperative called Isoceles, covering local cultural news. "Hey, Trevian! Looking great!"

What did you think of Lana back when you were a freshman, Trevian? How about now?

• Trevian
    Oh man, Lana. She was one of the hottest girls in high school, and the first girl I saw kiss, well, another girl. I didn't know her that well, just sort of lusted from afar like the rest of us lowly freshmen.

I grin when she compliments me, "Hi, Lana. You make that dress look amazing." I look over at Tandy, "Lana, do you remember Jake's little sister? Tandy, this is Lana Stevens. She was a senior when Jake and I were freshmen. She took our volleyball team to state, and led the dance team." I gesture to Tandy for Lana's benefit, "Tandy here was the debate champ for three years running, ran Yearbook for two years and she was on the cheer squad, too." I introduce them. Not going to abandon Tandy that easy.
  • The Real World

Lana gives Tandy a dazzling smile. "Tandy! I remember meeting you once or twice, back then, but I just have to say 'Wow!' Did this one snag you up? Wouldn't have pegged him as being that lucky or clever..." This last is clearly gentle needling.

Without even looking around for Darren, Tandy responds, "No, Lana, he didn't snag me up. Tonight he's my knight in vintage armor. I needed a Plus One for this shindig—I'm here using my boss's ticket—and he swooped to the rescue." She glances at you. "It's okay if you want to dance, really. I could use the lady's room, actually."

• Trevian
    I think my ankle can hang with it, and I don't want to pass this up. I give Tandy a thankful grin and offer Lana my arm, "Well, you've buttered me up enough for at least a couple dances."

As we're heading to the dance floor, I ask, "How the hell are you?"
  • The Real World

Lana says, "I'm super, but I think the bigger question is, how are you? Individual players haven't blown up nationally yet, but I bet you're on the radar. Top 100, sponsored by Melzer-Togawa, your pretty, mysterious partner." All the while she's moving with you to the beat. Dancing with this girl would've seemed an impossible dream when you were fourteen. Now here she is, asking questions.

• Trevian
    Damn. Why did I walk right into this? Lil T, you have GOT to stop making decisions. For real.

I offer her a smile, "Hey, I'm new to this whole PR thing, but I'm not supposed to talk to anyone without some help from my sponsors. I didn't, well, put two and two together, Lana. I'm sorry." We're still dancing, which is nice. "I will chat with Tonya and see if an interview is cool. Ok?"
  • edited October 2014

The Real World

Neither Lana's charm nor her smile fades. "Trevian, that's fine. I wouldn't ask more of you if you have a contractual obligation. Do you mind if we still dance for a bit? You really have filled out nicely since that day you caught Mary Beth and I, ah, experimenting. Maybe, if you're comfortable, you can catch me up some on your life before last Thursday. I can tell my editor I got some background, at least, if he finds out I ran into you."

The music's changed again, a song you're not familiar with, but it's some post-ironic country band with a fiddle player that's hot as hell. Lana slides easily into a two-step.

After a few dances, the two of you leave the floor and join Tandy at one of the high tables scattered around the edges of the space. She's nibbling on another of those lobster puffs and sipping from a cup of the non-alcoholic punch. (The spiked punch is red, the unspiked is orange. Which would suck if you were a color-blind alcoholic, but is a useful guide for checking up on your best friend's little sister.)

Lana is gracious and never seems to pry, but she's really good at looking interested and making those little silence-filling noises that encourage people to keep talking.

Why don't you give me a roll here, Trev, just to see how much control you retain? Lana has natural skill and instincts, but she hasn't been doing this long, so I'm giving her a 3d6 Trait of "Girl Reporter". However, I'm going to throw a Penalty Die at you. This woman was once that girl, and I suspect Little T isn't quite done providing input. Feel free to negate that Penalty Die by telling me a reasonable way that Tandy helps you out, or something clever you manage to do to keep the "upper hand".

The stakes: you win, and you not only keep your head, but Lana will be a definite help in the long run, once the press hits the fan. Lana wins, and you give her something worth publishing right away, which Tonya will certainly find out about.

• Lana's Roll

Girl Reporter 3d6: (Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 1, 2, 1. Total: 4)
  • Trevian
    Likeable fits here.
    (Rolled: 5d6. Rolls: 3, 2, 1, 4, 2. Total: 12)

I'm not pull on Tandy's here, even though maybe I should.
  • Trevian
    That's an 8, I keep my cool and forge a working relationship, if nothing else.

She brings up her "experimenting" and I wave it off, "Hey, I don't judge." I chat with her about life since high school, even sneak in a "How is Mary Beth anyways? I saw on the feed she went off to New York, shaved her head, got into some wild shit. She alright?"
  • The Real World

Lana sighs. "Mary Beth is a mess. She hooked up with some grrrrl band, and I do mean hooked up with the whole band. Shaved her head, like you said, started piercing things, doing some of those designer gentech drugs. She's in a rehab place outside of Buffalo, last I heard." She sighs again, equal parts sad and frustrated.

She takes a breath. "Well, since you seem to be immune to both my feminine wiles and my subtle but incisive interrogation techniques, I should go find something to write about. Listen..." She pulls out her phone and raises an eyebrow, expecting you to exchange contact information. "If it gets strange with the press stuff, and it will, you can count on me." She has a thought, it's as clear as if a lightbulb appeared above her head. "Tell you what, I'll give you my word I'm not going to write anything about you during your quest. Call me any time you want, whether it's to check up on whether what M-T's doing seems up-and-up, or if you need emergency backup on something and... Tonya?... isn't available. In exchange, you keep some notes and promise to help me write the book if you win, maybe even if you don't. Deal?"

After these last few minutes dancing and chatting, you think you've got a good read on Lana. She seems absolutely sincere in her offer.

• edited October 2014
    Trevian
    When Lana tells me about Mary Beth, I make a little bit of a sad face, "I'm sorry about Mary Beth. She was pretty cool. I hope she sorts things out."

She holds out her phone, and of course I exchange details. I flash her a grin, "Your feminine wiles are amazing, Lana. I just happen to be somewhat overloaded with wonderful ladies right now. Plus..." I grin, "I don't even know if I'm worth experimenting on." I give her a wink.

Then I get a little more serious, "Thanks, Lana. I mean it. I really appreciate your offer. I'm worried I'll need help soon. And yeah, I'm taking notes." I squeeze her arm affectionately, then look over at Tandy. "Wanna dance some more? Or call it a night?"
  • The Real World

Lana gives both you and Tandy a kiss on the cheek before heading off in search of something to feed the 24-hour, always-on, news cycle.

Tandy

"Are you limping just a little bit, Trey-Trey? Sure you want to dance more? How did you hurt your ankle, anyway?"

• Trevian
    "Would you believe I got in the middle of a girl-fight?" I ask her. "Trust me when I tell you, don't pick a fight with Reggie."

I test the ankle a bit. She's right, I should take it easy. "Alright, you're right. I should take a break." I look around, "Any more potential customers to wow? I want your boss to be impressed with all your hard work. Plus, you know, show you off in that dress."
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy blows out a breath, her eyes once again a little sad. You don't even have to turn to know she's watching Darren and his wife dance to the slow, romantic song coming over the speakers. "I think I've seen everyone that matters, as far as Alfa Juliet is concerned. It's a really beautiful party, Trev, but the food's too rich and the champagne's too tempting. I require noodles. Specifically noodles at "Halleluja, Ramen". And then, sleep. Is that okay?"

• Trevian
    I hug her, "Of course it's okay. I'll even spring for the noodles." I kiss the top of her head, "I think you were an awesome date, Tandy. Let's get some grub and go home." I'll walk her out of the party.
  • The Real World

You stop by the noodle shop and decide to eat in. The purposeful kitsch with its paw-waving cats and Sanrio figures and bright lighting stands in sharp contrast to the elegance you just left. Tandy adds enough shichimi togarashi, the spicy red-chili and... well, and whatever else is in it... condiment, that her nose starts running, but she laughs as the two of you dish about some of the more unfortunate outfits you saw at the fundraiser.

In due time, you're home. It's about midnight as Tandy heads to "her" bathroom to take off her makeup and get ready for bed. The full bathroom is empty, Jake's still out somewhere. You do your night-time routine and head in to your bedroom.

You've got an adapter that will let you plug in the old USB drive, and you find an appropriate script to start running the diff on the mass of code in the repository. It'll finish up over night.

You and Reggie exchange a few texts. The new John Wick gets her seal of approval, and she started poking around in the Mountain Festival TSol content. It's pretty, and cool, but she's not sure what direction to head with it. She's going to spend some time tomorrow starting to make arrangements for the move, but you agree that she'll come over in the late afternoon for pizza and TSol.

Sleep comes pretty quickly, once you bed down.

—End Scene—