[SWAW] Charon's Wall (8)

2»

Comments

• Leeadra
    A slow, predatory smile crosses her face, "Oh, that's a can do, Ladro. I hear my engineer knows allll the best stuff to get kriffed up. We'll make sure you're delivered."
  • Ladro Eyes

I'm in for it now. Still, sometimes once a decision's made, it's best to remove the option of un-making it. I look to see how close Squall is to done, realize it'll be a while yet, and head to the shuttle. Ze'll take a look at the schematic when ze can. I'll check in after a nap.

Once I'm in my room, sleep seems more of a hope than a reality. After staring at nothing for a while, I get up, pull a chest from under the bed. Open it. Dig underneath a few layers of clothes and pull out two cases. One, the package I'm supposed to "dispose of" for Sark, I put back.

The second is made of wood, joined without nails or glue. The top opens to reveal three brushes in different sizes, two cakes of ink, a few smaller cases containing colored pigments. Below that, a drawer with a stack of handmade paper.

I take one of the ink-cakes, in its shallow tray, and place it on the desk. A small ceramic bowl goes next to it and I fill the bowl with water. I put a piece of paper in the center of the desk, adjust the light so I can examine its grain, the imperfections that make it beautiful.

Finally, I choose a brush, the largest of the three, dip it in the bowl, run it across the cake until it's properly loaded with ink.

I take a breath, hold it for a few seconds, then start to write as I exhale. The remembered forms of the Kiffar letters I haven't used in over a decade flow from the brush in ancient, formal calligraphy. The poem I choose, nearly as ancient, is simple.
    A strip of light from the setting sun
    Lies on the stream.
    Come, lovely night, so that
    I may see my beloved.
  • edited November 2014
    The scene closes on Ladro taking up the pen, as it were.

The morning passes into the afternoon. Squall dropped by to let you know that the schematics looked okay to zir, nothing too bad should happen. Squall and Lee have placed the hyperdrive in its housing. Lee's helping Squall rebuild the back-up rather than replace it. It's going to be an ongoing project for the two of them, which means Jojee will be pulling extra hours piloting. Of course, extra hours means some extra credits, so Jojee isn't complaining. Seems like a group effort, Seesk is hovering around trying to see if she can help somehow (she can't do much, she's just not great at fine detail work and precision). You also discover that Lee sold the skiff to help pay for the drive.

You get a farewell message from Farla in the early afternoon.

Followed by another message from her in the early evening.
    Ladro, the ship is karked! Coming back to port. It's so bad. I think they might release me. Are you still at Charon's Wall?
  • You get another comm, this one from U'Sewei
    Good work, Ladro. Want to come get paid? Meet me on the same Observation Deck.
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

Farla might be released from her contract, which is my fault. The ship didn't blow up, though, so I guess that's something. I send back:

So sorry things are karked up. We may still be here for a bit. I'll see you at home, one way or the other. Don't tell anyone.

As to U'Sewei, I'll send back confirmation and meet him at the Observation Deck.
  • You get a quick message back
    You just made my day so much better! Thank you. Love you. Hope not to see you again until Kiffu!

You head to the Observation Deck, and find U'Sewel milling about. He looks nervous, sweating bullets. Hosk is loaded for bear, carrying his blaster as a rifle, and walking up right by your side. Your "Fixer" is standing right by the glass, in between a tree and a large potted plant. Neither are thick enough to hide anyone. He's unarmed, or appears so.

USewei-header
    "Alright, time for your credits, yeah?" U'Sewei says as he hefts a small case. "Two per, like we agreed." He blinks a few times.

Hosk doesn't even bother whispering. "This smells like a Gammorean's supper, Ladro. "
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

Hosk's right. The hair on my neck is standing up in familiar warning. "What's up, U'Sewei? You seem nervous."
  • If you want to read a charged situation, go for it, Ladro.
  • Read a Situation

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 1. Total: 8)
  • What should I be on the lookout for?
  • U'Sewei is right to be worried. There's a cyborg near the west entrance. He's armed, not obviously. There's a gun port in his left hand, his entire left arm is a hidden blaster. He's watching you three, and that entrance is a no go.

By the east entrance, you see a pair of Gammoreans come in. Big lugs with axes. Vanguard, for someone. Someone is coming here, Ladro.
  • Ladro Eyes

Hosk and I both growl. "U'Sewei, what's karking happening? Should I just have Hosk shoot you now, save me the trouble of doing it later?"
  • USewei-header
    He holds up his hands. "Wait! Wait, guys. The client wanted to talk with you. That's all, I swear!"

With a sneer, Hosk says, "I think I should shoot him. He's lying. There is no client."

USewei-header
    U'Sewei looks confused, "No, there is. I swear there is."
  • Ladro Eyes

I hold up a hand. "Give it a minute, Hosk. I'd like to meet this Hutt."
  • Hosk continues glaring at U'Sewei, who continues sweating buckets and assuring you it's all no problem.

That's when you see him. Sliding in the east entrance, surrounded by four Gammoreans. A Hutt. Young looking, but alert eyes, and a calculating expression on his wide face.

Hontu

He slithers up to a spot between you, and U'Sewei, and burbles his language at U'Sewei. Do you speak Huttese, Ladro?
  • Ladro Eyes

I've got a few words, here and there. Regretting that I don't have more, now. "Is this... Hontu, U'Sewei?"
  • USewei-header
    U'Sewei responds in Basic, looking to you, then him. "Yes. This. Is Hontu the Hutt." The Fixer ducks his head to the Hutt in greeting.

Hontu-header
    Hontu looks over at you and Hosk, and in a rolling Basic, says, "You are the ones who took care of The Incessant for me, right?"

Hosk answers for you both, "That's right. Quiet and quick."

Hontu-header
    Hontu chortles a booming Huttese laugh, "I come to understand you had to renegotiate with this fixer to get four thousand credits for the job. Is that so?" U'Sewei looks even more nervous, if that were possible.
  • Ladro Eyes

Is there really a Hutt named Hontu? If so, I've never heard of... "That is so. He was reluctant to let us meet the principal in the agreement, and unable to answer some basic questions. So, an increased reward seemed to mitigate the increased risk... Hontu." He's young, and perhaps he's clever. I let that slight pause hang out there for him.
  • Hontu flicks a glance over to the cyborg. The cyborg pulls out a disruptor, quick as anything. You're about to draw, Hosk is bringing the rifle to bear, but the assassin fires. On U'Sewei. The fixer screams in surprise, then agony as his body twists and warps in on itself, melting into a puddle of... something.

Hontu-header
    "Nobody lies to me." He looks at the cyborg, who lowers his disruptor. Then back at you, "So tell me why you dropped my name on Nar Shaddaa. Ladro and Hosk."
  • Ladro Eyes

Kriffing... This seems like the time for radical truth. "I dropped your name, if Hontu's your name. Scamming my way past a sleemo that had stolen a cargo I desperately needed. I had no way to know it actually belonged to a Hutt, especially one as magnificent and devious as yourself."

Well, maybe not radical truth.
  • Hontu-header
    Hontu chortles again, "Ho ho ho ho. You are quick, Ladro. You might survive this meeting after all. So tell me. Other than stealing back stolen cargo, and sabotaging ships, what is it that you do best?" He asks the question, but you have a feeling he knows the answer.
  • Ladro Eyes

"I'm a man of many talents, Hontu. A lover, a thief, an occasional saboteur. A dealer in information and contraband and the merely naughty or rare. What is it that you need?"
  • Hontu-header
    Hontu chortles at lover, but you have a feeling he heard the rest. "It is what you need. You and your partner Hosk. You owe me." He looks down at the puddle that was U'Sewei. "You will pay me. One way, or the other. But I don't want what you don't have, with a busted hyperdrive and barely enough credits to your name to get by. I want you to get me something special. And if you do that, then you're in my good graces, Ladro and Hosk. You will get future business. Understand?"
  • Ladro Eyes

Only way out is through. Need to establish some forward momentum. "We've already done your bidding once, Hontu, and my ruse on the Smuggler's Moon can only have served to bolster your reputation. I think that you're in our debt, rather than the other way around."

I'm already having my strings pulled by one puppet master. I'm not going to accept another, unless it kills me.
  • Hosk turns slightly to look up at you, while Hontu chortles his booming laugh.

Wow, Ladro. That was pretty ballsy. I'm curious how well you pull that off. Why don't you Act Under Fire here? Success and Hontu won't be enraged or embarrassed.
  • Act Under Fire

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 10)
  • Hontu-header
    Hontu has a good long laugh, through which you keep up the guise of being badass. So much so, that Hosk stop looking up at you and turns to put off some badass look himself.

"You've got stones, I have to admit." Hontu says after he finally recovers. Even one of the Gammoreans looks at you with a grin. "There are no debts. You are right, the fear you put in those Chiss was good for business. I am not one to miss an opportunity. Are you? How about your captain. Would she?" He offers a smile, looking for some temptation.
  • Ladro Eyes

That Hutt smile. Equal parts disgusting and profitable. "So, tell me, Hontu. What cargo do you have that needs moving. And don't forget that my partner and I are owed 4000 credits before any new business can be transacted here."
  • Hontu glances over at the non-smiling Gammorean, an older one with a broken tusk. He pulls out a pouch from his belt, then walks over to put it in your hand.

Hontu-header
    "That's six thousand. You get U'Sewei's cut, too." Hontu says with that smile. He waits for you to take it before he continues. Do you count it?

"I've come upon a very lucrative batch of spice that I need to be taken into Mid Rim, to Devaron." Hontu explains this and watches your reaction. "Once you're there, I need you to get it to a dealer I know in the capital city there. She will pay you handsomely, and she will forward my cut back to me once the transaction is completed." He narrows his eyes a little, pushing the deal, "I'll get you that skiff back, plus two thousand cred for travel expenses."
  • Ladro Eyes

"As it happens, I think we'll be heading in that direction. How large is this... consignment?" I'm already calculating the angles. Even if the cargo's illicit, I'd bet Lee will take it if it means the skiff and a thousand credits.
  • edited November 2014
    Hontu-header
    Hontu's face becomes satisfied, confident. He knows you're going to agree, and he's eager to get this deal done. "It's substantial. Should take up a fourth of your hold*. I want it done in one shipment, Ladro. The risk might seem high, but getting caught with one percent of that amount of spice is still a life sentence."

Hosk looks at you, it's the most spice he's ever heard of in one place.

* the Libation's hold carries 2,000 tons.
  • Ladro Eyes

"I'll have to speak to the Captain, Hontu. I can't take on that risk without consulting her. I'm sure you understand? The deal is the skiff and two thousand credits up front, with full payment on delivery?"
  • Hontu-header
    Hontu shakes his head, "No, it's better. I'm offering the skiff and two thousand to make the delivery, covering fuel and danger. Then once you hand off the cargo to Dalia Zon, she pays you a cut of six thousand for your ship and crew." His eyes search yours, hungry for you to take the offer. But he doesn't push further, not right now. "Take a day to consider, your hyperdrive won't be done until then anyway. But I will start looking elsewhere after tomorrow." He signals his cyborg assassin who walks out, then he turns to go as well.
  • Ladro Eyes

I wait until the Hutt and his minions depart before collapsing into a nearby chair. I'm torn between laughing hysterically and shaking with anxiety. "Kriff me, Hosk. I made up a Hutt that already existed!"
    Hosk shakes his head in disbelief, "That's about our luck, Lad. Still, that's a huge payday. You know Lee will take it. You going to offer it to her?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"I know she needs the creds, and getting the skiff back would mean a lot. Still, it's a huge risk. What do you think? Should I give her the choice, knowing she'll jump at it?"
    After lighting up a deathstick, Hosk answers, "Yeah. If she wants to run with the gundarks, she's got her chance. If the crew will follow her, then it is good cred. The question isn't whether you should be her nursing mother, it's are you ready if things go ponfarr-shaped?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"Seems like that's the only shape we've got, these days. You willing, Hosk?"
    Hosk takes a nice, leisurely drag off his deathstick, then holds in the smoke, looking out the observation desk window. He blows out the smoke and nods.

Your comm beeps with another message.
    We're in port again, working with some Hutt's crew for repairs to the bad repairs. They're taking a portion out of my wages, but I'm still employed. I'm confined to ship, have to watch these repairs closely.
  • Ladro Eyes

Glad you're still employed! Be good, and I'll see you soon.

Hosk and I make our way back to the ship, but not in any particular hurry. If the market's in any shape for it after the Empire's recent fit, I'll pick up treats for everybody, something to help us forget the taste of that slimy fish stew. When we get to the Libation, I leave Hosk and hunt up Leeadra.
  • edited July 2015
    The market's open, if a bit run down. You can find a few treats there, baked goods, mostly. Flake crusted pies and some sweetbread.

The hyperdrive install is mostly complete, and the crew's resting, more or less. Seesk is watching some new show about an assassin droid named HK-97 that refers to targets as meatbags. You find Leeadra is in her quarters.

Leeadra
    She answers the door in a cotton shift that reaches mid thigh, sleep wear. She doesn't look like she was asleep, though. There's still bits of grease around her cuticles, bags under her eyes. "Hey Ladro. What's up?" She asks, stepping aside to let you in. Some music's playing, stuff you bought her, long ago. What are the lyrics of this song about?
  • Ladro Eyes

I remember this song. It's called "No Fixed Abode," and the lyrics seem to fit Lee so perfectly. It's about being on the move, going to the next system and the one after it, and the one after that. I think the songwriter probably wanted it to seem sad, but Lee always smiles.

I sit down in a low chair. "So, I've got a business opportunity that just happens to move us toward Kiffu. High reward. You'd get the skiff back, and we'd split two thousand credits between us, just to make the transport. Six thousand additional on delivery." I pause for breath. "Problem's the client and the cargo. Client's a Hutt name of Hontu. Cargo is 500 tons of spice."

Ball's in her court. I'm not going to try to convince her if she's not willing. I'd be relieved, in fact.
  • Leeadra
    Lee was standing as you talked, but once you drop the spice bomb and she walks over to sit on the edge of her bed, like maybe she's about to fall over.

Her mouth starts working faster than she can filter, "Five hundred tons? That's.... five hundred? I've never seen more than a... an ounce of spice before. And. Squally? Poodoo, would ze be able to even be around it? I don't. We'd all up up with hard time. But we'd split eight thousand? Stars, that could get us a new hyperdrive, we could close out the lease, we could..." She looks up at you, finally. "This is the part where I say no way, isn't it?"
  • Ladro Eyes

I choose my words carefully. "Lee, I think this is the part where I walk away, let you think, maybe talk to the others. Hosk and I are with you, whatever your decision."

As I stand, a lit candle catches my eye. It smells fresh, floral, and the scent reminds me of a time when things weren't so complicated. I hesitate, looking at the flame and not wanting to leave Lee alone with this, but needing to know that she's made her own choice. After a few seconds, I turn toward the door.
  • Leeadra
    Lee's bout of uncertainty passes, and she nods, agreeing she should think it over. "Ladro, I heard your sister's ship came back into port. Everything okay?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"Some problems with their repairs, and Farla's taking some of the flack for it. Be sure to get two sets of eyes on the work on the hyperdrive, okay?"
  • Leeadra agrees with that sentiment, and you know she will, since she watched the last crew and even worked alongside them during the process.

Anything you want to do while she deliberates?
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

I'll distribute the treats I picked up, then go to the shuttle. I send a message to the comm dead-drop that Ahji Dar and I set up. In the simple code we established, I tell her that I'll be on Kiffu in a month or so. We didn't devise a way to say, "Unless I'm dead or rotting in an Imperial prison." Figured that was always implied.
  • After deliberation with the crew and some work on the ship, in two days time the Libation takes off from Charon's Wall with a very large shipment of spice. The place is to pick up transport of some hazardous liquids to ferry most of the way to Devaron, and Seesk will hide the spice in sealed and protected containers inside the liquids, right in the center of it, hidden away. It's dicey, but Seesk assures Lee it will work.

--END SESSION--