[In and Out] Gruß vom Krampus! (4.4)

2»

Comments

• abby-header
    Damn! He can heal! I move away, towards the displays, holstering my sword and snatching up a pair of chains. If the Schnapps worked, maybe this will, too?
  • abby-header
    Using the chain like a whip-sword, I'm aiming to see if I can wrap it around his legs. If I can make him immobile, the next chains will be easier.

Attack (attack bonus +6, AC +4):
    (Rolled: 1d20+10. Rolls: 19. Total: 29)

Damage (if I hit):
    (Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 1. Total: 3)
  • Twilight Solstice

When the chain connects with his legs, Krampus gives a bleating scream that hurts your ears. "No!" The chain wraps itself around his legs almost on its own accord, tangling him up. You smell a hint of sulfur and burnt hair. His eyes light up again, but the chain has somehow entangled his switch-hand.

BEAMS!

Attack: (Rolled: 1d20+12. Rolls: 5. Total: 17)
    Damage (if): (Rolled: 1d10. Rolls: 4. Total: 4)

• abby-header
    I snatch up another chain, whip it around my head, dancing around him as he flails on the ground. I'm aiming for his head now. I do NOT like those coal eye beams, no sir.

Attack (attack bonus +6, AC +4):
    (Rolled: 1d20+10. Rolls: 18. Total: 28)

Damage (if I hit):
    (Rolled: 1d8+2. Rolls: 6. Total: 8)
  • Twilight Solstice

Krampus screams as the chains engulf him. A gaping, flame-filled hole suddenly appears in the floor and he is dragged down to a wailing, screeching chorus that reminds you of that band 'Monsterhearts' that opened for Lili the first time you met her.

That said, a hole, flames, right next to you. You're gonna have to dance pretty fast to avoid getting burned or even falling in. Let's see a saving throw against a difficulty of 3. That means you're rolling 2d8 +1 (your Dex modifier) +6 (your level), trying to beat a 12. (That's the base of 9 plus the difficulty.)

• abby-header
    Yeesh, burning! Feet don't fail me now!

Saving throw:
    (Rolled: 2d8+7. Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 10)
  • Twilight Solstice

A trailing end of chain wraps around your ankle as Krampus falls down to whatever improvisatory live electronic ambient horrorshow collective experience hell he's being dragged down to. You lose your balance and begin to be dragged through the flames behind him.

OOC: Take 1 HP damage, and you're in a precarious position. How do you fix it? You've got allies in the next room, or you can try something on your own.

• abby-header
    "Jace! Halyse! A.... a little help?" I aint too proud to beg. I'm trying to claw a way free, but I don't know how long I'll last.
  • edited December 2014

Twilight Solstice

A chain wraps around your wrist and pulls you back from the precipice. As you come out to solid ground, you see Jace (still in her Santa guise) at the head of a line of confused-looking but definitely human villagers, all pulling on the length of chain that snagged you like it's some high-stakes game of tug-of-war. They finally pull you all the way out and the hole closes behind you.

Jace

"Still don't find me sexy, Abby?"

• abby-header
    I hug Santa Jace, "Not a tiny bit! Thanks, though. It's a Christmas miracle!"
  • Twilight Solstice

Halyse

Halyse emerges from the back of the line of villagers. "Woohoo! That was fun! Did you see me, Jace? I was all like, 'Ha! Take a bolt of light from my hammer!' and they were all like 'Oog ugh, schnapps!' Wasn't it fun?"

Jace

Jace smiles at Halyse's enthusiasm, then turns back to you. "So, schnapps for the little ones and chains for the big one. Wonder which two are Sophie's parents?"

• edited December 2014
    abby-header
    I look at the villagers and ask loudly, "Who are the parents of Sophie?"
  • Twilight Solstice

The villagers still seem confused and groggy, but two halflings raise their hands. The female says, "Our daughter... she's alright?"

• abby-header
    I smile at them encouragingly, "Don't worry. She's with her Gramma."
  • Twilight Solstice

"Thank you so much!"

There's still no door. There's sort of an outline where Krampus was working on making one, but it's nothing that opens yet. As you're pondering how many trips up the chimney you'll have to make to get all the villagers out, Jace walks over to that spot.

Jace

"Here goes nothing."

"Ho ho ho!" The outline becomes solid and the door swings open.

• abby-header
    I urge all the villagers to follow Santa Jace out the door, "Awesome work, Jace!"

• Twilight Solstice

Some of the villagers thank you on the way out, but most just rush through the door, eager to be reunited with their loved ones. Apparently their krampus-ness is mostly worn off, but there are some confused remnants. One says to his wife, "I'm so hungry! I can't wait to eat some baby... I mean, dinner." It should be fine, though, really. Finally, everyone's out and it's just you, Jace and Halyse standing outside the shop.

Halyse

"Thanks for letting me ride along! That was fun."

Jace resumes her usual form.

Jace

"It was great working with you, Halyse, and good eye noticing that building. Let us know if you see anything else?"

Over chat, Halyse responds, "Of course. Hey are you guys coming to Mom's New Years Day thing? It's usually not as boring as most of her parties, and it's an Open House so you can just drop by for a while."

• abby-header
    Chat channel: "It was great playing with you, Jackie. That party sounds cool. I know the Reginatrix is muting herself because she's squealing with excitement about it."

I walk over and in game kiss Jace's cheek, since she's hot elf girl again.
  • Twilight Solstice

Halyse

"I should go. We leave tomorrow for Gran's place, and Mom said if I don't pack my bags myself, I'm going to have to wear the same clothes for a week, 'cause she's not going to do it. Thanks again..."

Jace

"We'll see you New Year's, Jackie. Have a good Christmas!"

Halyse signs off.

"Had enough, or want to check out some other Winter Festival stuff? Not questiness, just for fun."

• abby-header
    Chat channel: "Have a safe trip, Jackie, we'll see you soon!"

To Jace, "Yeah, let's hang out, have some fun."

I drop a in-game message to Shak!ra:
    Hey, we'll be on for a while. If you wanna hang out, ping me.
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace, of course, wants to hit Elfholm next. The ancestral seat of the elves is beautiful any time of year, but there's a particular austere grace during Winter Festival that provides a sharp contrast to the (Krampus aside) coziness of the little gingerbread village you just left. Even the vendors in Elfholm are lovely.

You approach the Winter Market, at the base of the towering Spire of Mylaela. The variety of goods for sale is wide, from the cheapest trinkets to the most powerful magic items, and the costs are equally varied. Any particular stall you want to visit, whether to make a purchase or just window shop? Or is entertainment more your thing?

• abby-header
    Chat channel: "Hey, are you sure you don't want to fly home for Christmas? We can make it happen." I know she'll refuse, but I want to make sure she knows if she wants to go, she can.

It's silly, but I want to get presents for Jace, Halyse. Maybe Shak!ra, since I'm worried about her. I'm looking for adornments, avatar items, mostly. Elves make the prettiest crafts.
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace

"Not this time. I just got here, really, and I need to make life real. What better way to get some grounding than a little Christmas?"

The stalls are really stunning this year. Everything you can think of to spiff up a toon. Hair bows, jewelry of all sorts, even "cosmetic kits" and virtual fake contacts to change eyes into anything from the whole palette of solid colors to plaid to night-sky-with-stars. What catches your eye?

• edited December 2014
    abby-header
    Perfect! Now I need to reach out to Erica and invite her down.
    Chat channel: "A little Christmas is a great idea. I know Tandy, Jake and Margie will make it an awesome Christmas."

Night-sky with star eyes? Wow, I'm grabbing that without Jace seeing. Some adorable skull hairbows for Shak!ra, because skulls. I think a nice ioun stone for Halyse, a little pricey, but some minor magical effects. Heck, I'll grab some nice cosmetic jewelry for Tandy's toon, just in case.
  • Twilight Solstice

You purchase your gifts, Jace non the wiser about hers, and take a look around. Lots of people are gathered around a stage near the spire, and you hear singing from that direction. In another direction, you see the sweeping arcs of fire torches, presumably being juggled. In yet another direction, voices are raised in laughter around what looks like a puppet stage.

You go for one of those things, or something else?

• abby-header
    Chat channel: "Wanna hear some Winter Fest Carols?"

I'm heading over to the singing by the spire, that sounds fun. Normally, Jace and I haven't displayed any affection in game, but right now, I just want to put an arm around her and listen to some good music.
  • Twilight Solstice

Winter Festival in TSol is, logically, mostly focused on the Solstice, so the carols (all original music, by the way, and likely to be available for download tomorrow) tend to focus on "Solstice" themes. Darkness and light, hopes for the return of the Spring. This year, the music seems particularly poignant, even the most cheerful of songs. Clearly the composers are expressing the respect for Eve and their own feelings about her passing.

There comes a moment when a particular carol, sweet and light, begins with a single singer, an achingly beautiful female elf. It repeats with a few more voices, then NPCs in the crowd begin to sing along on the third go-round. By the fourth, Jace is singing as well.

Now light the candle, light the torch
    Light the hearthfire brightly
    The flames that shine but never scorch
    Drive back the darkness nightly

Sing hey for the sun, sing hey for the moon,
    Sing hey for the lights that cheer us!
    Sing hey for the lover, sing hey for the friend,
    Sing hey for those we keep near us!

• abby-header
    If there are non-elves singing, I'll join in with Jace. This is a great song, totally getting it on my phone tomorrow.
  • Twilight Solstice

A lot of PCs, of all races, start singing along. The song grows to be... more. Harmonies, counterpoint, everything simple on its own, but combining to become almost a symphony of voices. In the end, it fades back down to that first, single voice. After, there's an uncharacteristic moment of silence before the market's hubbub gradually reasserts itself.

Jace

"Okay, that goes on the Christmas playlist."

From: Shak!ra To: Abaddon Not going to make it back on today. Thanks for the offer, though. I'll let you know when I make it back.
  • abby-header

"Most def. I agree, squeeze her shoulder gently. Then, with a more jovial tone, I ask, "Want to see a puppet show?"

From: Abaddon To: Shak1ra Cool. Hey, if you want to talk, just talk, out of game or in, lmk. Last time I saw you, you looked like maybe you wanted to talk. Trevian
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace

"Want to check out Dis, instead? I've never experienced Winter Fest in hell..."

Scene shift: The Gates of Hell (well, of Dis)

"ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE," says the inscription over the gates, and it's been true for so many toons. This zone is normally all-combat, all the time, with the exception of the cemetery/town Pleasant Acres, and even the town has mobs. When you pass through the gates, though, it's immediately clear that the everything is transformed for the Festival. Off to the right, the familiar sight of Sisyphus rolling his rock uphill is replaced with the image of the old, deceitful king leaning against his rock, drinking a cup of hot cocoa. And yes, it's snowing. In hell.

Looking for anything in particular, Trev, or just wandering?

• abby-header
    I walk about, then reach down to scoop up the hellsnow, "Wow, never been here during Winter Fest. I'm heading to Pleasant Acres. Let's grab a drink at that tavern that always has that banshee."
  • Twilight Solstice

The path to Pleasant Acres leads you past many other strange sights:

Two groups of zombies having a snowball fight. Fortunately, the snow isn't blessed-water snow, because limbs and heads are flying everywhere, but the zombies gradually reform to fight again.

Tantalus with a big ol' glass of water and a plate full of grapes, gulping and munching away.

A group of devils playing touch football with what seems to be a bunch of tormented souls.

Finally, you reach Tartarus Tavern in Pleasant Acres. When you walk through the door, there's a big sign that says, "Free Eggnogg Today (Not Cursed)," and there's a sprig of mistletoe hanging over the bar. The ghoulish tavernkeeper gives you a truly frightening smile. The banshee's at her usual table, but instead of drinking scotch and wailing about death and destruction, she's sipping eggnogg and humming carols.

• abby-header
    This is a sight. I walk with Jace inside, pointing out the mistletoe, "Didn't expect to see that here." I'll head over to sit with the banshee, ask her to sing us Good King Winsleslaus or whatever.
  • Twilight Solstice

Jace

"This is surreal. Free eggnog?"

She follows you to the banshee's table. When you ask for your carol, the banshee looks at you, or at least you think she does. The hood turns toward you, certainly, and the dark red glint of eyes deep within brightens. Any other day, human, and I would sing to drive you mad, then tear out your heart with my claws. Today, though, I shall let you live. Barkeep! Eggnog here! The bartender rushes over with three glasses of eggnog, including a refill for the banshee.

She raises her glass. Any other day, as I said, but today is Winter Fest. May you die swiftly and never return!

• edited December 2014
    abby-header
    I take some eggnog, gulp down a bit. "You can hate me tomorrow, Banshee. But maybe we sing a duet today?"
  • Twilight Solstice

A creepy mist pours out of the banshee's hood. Perhaps a trio with this fine elf? What would you like to sing? Perhaps 'It's a Small World After All?'

• abby-header
    "Haha! Small World? That's truly evil. I'd never get that song out of my head. How about "O Little Town of Bethlehem" or maybe "Here Comes Santa Claus"?"
  • Twilight Solstice

The banshee starts up a passable, if... chilly? rendition of "O Little Town of Bethlehem," and you and Jace do your best to harmonize. It's certainly not conventional, but NPCs and PCs alike pause in what they're doing to listen. There's some hesitant applause when you finish a few verses.

I will flay your skin with my shrieks if we meet again, adventurer, but that was... okay. Enjoy your Winter Festival.

• edited December 2014
    abby-header
    I pat her shoulder once, just the once, and grin, "Next time I hear your wailing, I'll think of this song. Thanks, Banshee."

As we're walking away, I look to Jace, "Anything else you want to do here?" This is good stuff, I'm having a blast just goofing off with my girl.
  • Twilight Solstice

You wander around the realms, cherry-picking some of the Winter Festival highlights you haven't experienced before.

In the halfling village of Puddlefoot, they celebrate with a gymnastics competition. The highest pyramid of halflings was eight tiers high and held thirty-six of the little folks. It teetered and tottered for a full minute before the judges declared them winners.

The Wizard's Academy does a fireworks show every hour on the hour, and at the height, there's a full-on portrait of Eve painted against the sky, dressed in a wizard's robe and paraphernalia.

In Basin City, there's a full-on New Orleans style Second Line marching around town, playing all sorts of seasonal classics in a Dixieland style on medieval and renaissance instruments.

In the Valley of Monuments, you come across a candlelight vigil around a new in-game monument to Eve. Jace insists on buying a candle and hanging out for a while. That song from earlier at Elfholm comes back, but slower, more mournful. Too many people around to explore the monument right now, and it's unlikely that Eve herself planned it, but you both make a note to come back.

Anything else before logging out for the day?

• abby-header
    The fireworks are a treat, but that monument is really special. Damn right we're coming back here. It's been a long day of fun, mixed with melancholy for Eve's loss. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

If Shak!ra doesn't come back online, I'm good to go. I've IRL stuff to do. Like that Zero package. Plus, reaching out to Erica.