[SWAW] M'Haeli Meet (18)

Comments

That is enough for a quick chuckle. "She's definitely still Amarath. She can't see a nest of hornets without looking for the perfect way to poke it for maximum trouble. But she's very skilled and reliable in a pinch. It's been interesting so far."
  • Darkal-header
    Darkal chuckles. "That's Amy." He picks up a spoonful of fern shoots and pauses before eating, "Did she... ever tell you how she lost her arm?" The way he asks is hard to tell if he already knows.

What was the deal with the two of them when you were younger?

"She did, in general terms. Trouble with explosives, is what I know."

Darkal dated Amarath's older sister pretty seriously when we were younger, and came to look at Amy, brat though she was, as something of a kid sister herself. Pulled her out of fights almost as much as he did me.
  • "You're traveling with a Shade?" your mother asks sharply.

Darkal-header
    "I'm glad she's with you." Darkal interrupts. "Good to travel with friends. And for all her troubles, she'll watch your back. Plus," he looks at your mother. "She's Kiffar." Your mother nods to that, unable to fight the point.

"She certainly has her moments." I turn to mama. "I think we should go ahead and have this talk, mama. It's not going to get any easier for us. Last time I was here, you told me I wasn't your son. Is that still how you feel?"
  • She crosses her arms again, her mouth in a tight line. She glances over at Baba, who returns her look evenly. They've had a conversation about this, probably recently. She looks back to you, "My words were hasty. Of course you're my son." She pauses, opens her mouth to say something more... but doesn't.

The last time I truly dealt with my mother, I was still essentially a child. It's hard not to slip back to that time, but if we're going to have a relationship, be a family, it will need to be as adults.

"Mama, last time I was here, I did little but apologize, and I was sincere. Years ago, immature and impulsive, I left. And then I stayed away. I made mistakes, I admitted them, I asked for forgiveness. If you admit that I'm your son, then clearly your words a few months ago, uttered as an adult and with consideration, were a mistake as well. Won't you apologize, so we can try to build a bridge over the chasm time and disappointment have carved between us?"
  • "If we're to speak of this. If I'm to apologize," your mother lists out like a litigator. "Then please help me understand why my son, who wears the marks of the family, has traveled the galaxy as a Shade. If you wish me to apologize for saying you're not part of my family, help me understand why you denied us all."

Your father's mouth opens slightly with surprise. He had no idea. Darkal knew, you can tell. He didn't say.
  • edited January 2015

"So, this is to be a negotiation? We're going to haggle? Okay, then. When I first left Kiffu, I was angry, vindictive. Since there was no way I could hurt you further, directly, I took the clanless name. I took it out of anger, pride, foolishness. Later, when I began to long for a way to return, but could barely even admit that to myself, I kept that name out of shame, self-recrimination. I felt unworthy." I take a sip of wine. "Now, I realize both were foolish. Names are names. Clans are clans. Social artifacts, external. Families are of the heart. Blood, of course, but heart even more."
  • Your mother listens to your recollection, her face softening a bit. The shock drains from your father's face, ebbing into concern and ending with understanding. Darkal is watching your mother, looking as if he's ready to step in if she is sharp again.

Why don't you Act Under Fire here? If you pull it off, you're able to keep things calm while your mother's been needling you.
  • Act Under Fire

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 6)

Her resistance seems so unreasonable. I feel like I'm doing all the giving on my side of this. My voice starts to raise at some point and Darkal meets my eyes, pleading...

Spending 1-Bond with Darkal to make that a 7.
  • Darkal-header
    "Well said, brother." Darkal says, putting a hand over yours as a sign of kinship.

Baba
    You father nods, "We are glad you have returned, mwana."

Your mother nods. "Yes. Blood and heart." She licks her lips, then says calmly, "I am sorry, my son. I spoke hastily when you professed love for a Cathari. I... I want a grandchild so desperately, and with Farla putting off children until she is promoted to senior engineer, and Darkal part of... the group. I had hoped in my heart that when you returned... that you'd returned." Her face breaks a little and the anger evaporates. She seems smaller now. "I thought my son was home! When you were leaving again, with some alien woman, the wounds were fresh again and I... I lost myself to it."

I stand. "Mama, I may not be able to remain home, but I am glad that I have a home to come to. It is my wish to continue disappointing for a long time to come, as long as we can always find a way to say 'I love you' when all is said and done." I open my arms. "I love you, mama."
  • She rises and comes around the table to embrace you. Her back is tight, she's still wary, but she does hug you. The words were said. There's nothing more you can do right now.

When she pulls back, she asks, "How long are you staying this time?" She looks in your eyes this time, most of the venom gone, now just a shadow.

My eyes and my voice are sad as I reply. "I have to leave soon, probably tomorrow. There is a threat to me, my crew and, I believe, to my family, the three of you and Farla. I have to understand and neutralize the threat before I can take the time to make a true visit."
  • Darkal-header
    "Is it Sark?" your brother asks suddenly. "He's threatening the whole family now?"

I glance to baba and mama. "Should we speak alone, brother? There are other things to discuss, as well."
  • Darkal-header
    Your brother nods thoughtfully, standing, "Mama, Baba, we will be a few minutes." He walks with you to a more private area in the house. Where is it?

"What is it, Ladro?"

We actually go up to my old room. "Well, first, Sark. He sent me here with Ceric. Had to know that I'd go to you. That's a threat, in my eyes. But... there's no way to look at the data I've managed to accumulate and not see him as working on behalf of the Alliance. I've been over my head since this started, and once I finally start to understand which direction to swim, it makes no karking sense, Darkal."
  • Darkal-header
    Your older brother lets out a breath. "Poodoo, Ladro. If. If he's working for the Alliance, that explains why I kept getting dead ends when I tried to find out where he is. It made no sense. But if he's a deep plant, then maybe." He runs fingers through his hair, "Then maybe we can get him to back off? Maybe it's all pretend, he might not be a threat."

"I think... it's time for me to call Sark out. If his cover's that good, he can manage a face-to-face meeting, and if he really is I.I. and his game is this twisty, well, the same is true. He's the one that paid for Amy's cyber, by the way, and she believes he had a bomb put in her head at the same time."
  • Darkal-header
    "She has a cortex bomb?" he exclaims, keeping his voice low, but the urgency is there. "That karking sleemo. Amy's practically kin."

"She hasn't had a full scan done, to find out. Afraid it would trigger the device, if it was there. Almost as bad to let her believe it is, though." I swallow, uncomfortable. "Listen, if this sleemo is with the Alliance, it doesn't excuse what he's done. Are we agreed on that?"
  • Darkal-header
    He nods, "Absolutely, Ladro. This is unacceptable." He means it, too. He looks pretty angry, tightening his fists.

"So, do your Rebels have a way of taking action on this 'officially,' or do I just kill the sister-kriffer? I'm conflicted, to be honest. I can't turn my back on the Rebellion... once I started seeing the Empire as enemy instead of obstacle, I can't return to pretending not to care. And Hosk... he lost almost his entire family. So many Bothans... But your people are trading spice, knowing the consequences, and with individuals like Sark putting the ends before the means... it's hard to see you as the white hats, here."
  • Darkal-header
    "I know, Ladro. I agree with you." Your brother says this openly. "The Rebellion has to work in cells to keep one operative from bringing down the entire network. I promise you the Kiffu cell is good, right? You've seen many of them. But there are others that are allies of need or convenience. The Empire has angered many peoples, not all of them are friends. I'm not happy with some of the alliances that the leaders have made."

He pauses for a moment. "Let me make more direct inquiries. You should speak with Alanna, too. She's technically a different cell, but we work together. She might have different contacts. Also, the Roughnecks, who are a strike team. They're solid. I can give you their location. Just, be careful, brother."

"My inclination is to stick my neck out, get Sark to come to me. And it's going to be soon. I don't have time to wait for secret handshakes and spiderwebs. If I don't have an answer as to how I should approach him by the time it happens, I'll make my own decision and face the consequences."

I pause with an old, familiar grin. "And you should also talk to Alanna. Take a real look. She's amazing, and... well, you're missing an opportunity."
  • Darkal-header
    "Ladro, don't bite off more than you can chew. You have a crew to worry about." He answers this first part, worried for you. The bit about Alanna seems to confuse him. "What do you mean?"

I nod at the first. "I do, and we can handle ourselves, when the going gets rough." At the second, I chuckle. "I've known Alanna longer than you, by a fair measure. She's beautiful, smart, and I have to admit that I know she's... skilled. Also... I don't want to lead you, here, but really look back on your interactions. Hasn't she ever tried for a connection beyond the mission you share?"
  • Darkal-header
    Darkal shakes his head in amusement, "You and Alanna? Ladro, you leave no stone unturned." He chuckles, not offended by your admission. "You, ah, have a very attractive crew, Ladro." He arches a brow, smirking a little. The question, though unspoken, hangs in the air.

"It's a curse I have to bear, Darkal. They are something." I smirk. "You're changing the subject, but I'll let it go. Do think about what I said, though."
  • edited January 2015
    Darkal-header
    "I will," he answers. "Although, I've considered marrying Lara a few times, just to bring her out of being a Shade, she denied me." He shrugs, like it was alright with him that she said no, but he felt he had to ask. "Are you spending the night here?"

"I'd like to, but I don't want to push mama too far. I can always go back to the ship."
  • Darkal-header
    He gives you a smirk. "Want to crash at my place?" he asks. "It's in town. Maybe call Amy, too? We could get a little drunk, talk about old times."

I half-imagine I can hear the universe giving an evil laugh as I say, "That sounds great, Darkal. I'd like to spend some time with you that's not about some sort of drama or another."
  • Darkal-header
    "Good. Comm Amy and see if she's interested. We can take my speeder." He claps your shoulder, then leaves you in your room.

I get Amy on the comm and share Darkal's offer with her. "Your call, of course, but Darkal wants to catch up."
  • Amarath-header
    You hear Amarath first, "Just me? I'm kinda involved with Squall right now."

"Actually, hang on... I'll hit you back in five minutes." I trot out after Darkal, try to catch him before he gets back to mama and baba. "You haven't really seen the Profit Margin yet. Why don't you come aboard for the night?"
  • Darkal-header
    You catch him in the hall. When you make the offer, Darkal smiles. "Of course, brother. I'd be delighted."

I nod happily, then step off to hail the ship again. "My brother's going to join us for an evening of modest carousing and nostalgia. Mixed, I'm sure, with a healthy dose of lying and trash-talk. I'd appreciate it if everyone could be at least mostly decent when we get there, and some of us should remember that he helped break them out of jail last time we were here. We'll be a half-hour or so."
  • Jojee
    "I remember, Cap!" Jojee answers over the comms.

Darkal-header
    "That's your pilot, right?" Darkal asks as you head back to the den where you mother and father await.
  • edited January 2015

I raise an eyebrow. "Yes. That is my pilot." I chuckle to myself as we enter the den, not mentioning that she might already have a bit of a head of steam built up from our cliff-jump earlier.
  • He nods, a little smirk playing on his face as you re-enter the den. Your parents are there waiting. Your mother offers a wan smile when you come in. Your baba pats a cushion near him, which is also near her, "Come, mwana. Let's sit and talk. Tell me of your travels."

I sit. "I've seen so much, baba. It's hard to know where to start." I launch into a mostly accurate recounting of the adventures Squall and I had on Rutan 5, foiling poachers and "fixing" the water supply.
  • Your mama takes interest in that, especially how you helped save those poor, weird native creatures. She doesn't ask questions, or comment aloud, but well, she's your mother, you know.

Baba
    Your Baba laughs at the end, "That's a Vos! Rutan 5, eh? We should go sometime, mama. See if our boy has a statue up/"

I make a face. "I certainly HOPE there's no statue. I have a strict no-statue policy."
  • Your father chuckles while your mother looks away. She saw the humor in it, but she's never loved your self-depreciation.

Darkal-header
    "I'd imagine most self-respecting sculptors would have that policy, too, brother."

Any other stories you share? How long do you end up staying before you head off with Darkal towards your ship?

I share a few more, but none of the most twisty ones. After a half hour, I give Darkal another raised eyebrow and wait for him to break things off.
  • Darkal-header
    Taking the cue, he stands, "Mama, Baba, we're heading out. Ladro's asked me to spend some time on his ship." He didn't over-stress the word "his" in regards to your ship, but there was an inflection.

There are hugs, from both of them, and your mama promises some breakfast if you both come home in the morning. Your Baba laughs, chides her not to count on it, and tells you both to have a good time.

Then you're both walking out of the house together, looking forward to drinking and commiserating with your second family, your crew.

I lead the way back to the ship, although I know Darkal knows where we're parked. "The Margin isn't paid for, yet, and she's not a young lady, but she's classy."
  • Darkal-header
    "No arguments here. She's in really good shape." It's obvious he's impressed with the ship. As you come closer, enough to see it dimly through the trees, he asks, "How deep are you in debt, Ladro?"

"Seventy-some K-creds. Paying it off as fast as I can, and it's still a new weight around my neck, but I feel like we can pull it off, my crew and me." We move to the ship and I open the cargo ramp. "Welcome to the Profit Margin, brother."
  • edited January 2015
    Darkal-header
    Darkal gives a low whistle at the credits. "Wow." Then you're both walking up the ramp and his eyes are wide, taking it all in.

Your crew is standing at attention, except Amarath, who's leaning against the bulkhead. There's no crew uniform, but Jojee is in her jumpsuit, Squall's in zir engineering gear, and Hosk has on his soldiering duds, with patches torn off, of course.

"Darkal, I believe my crew is mocking me. What do you think the appropriate punishment for such subordination should be?" I'm wearing a grin, thankful for the effort, even though I'm certain it's a farce.
  • Darkal-header
    Your brother wears that winning smile, mostly for Jojee, it seems. He doesn't stare at her, but you know your brother. He looks back at you, "I don't think they're mocking you, Captain. They just want to impress your dignitary." He chuckles, and Squall cuts up.

He spreads his hands out to bow, "It is a pleasure making your acquaintances. I'm told there's a decent stock of brandy and rum on this boat. Perhaps after my two credit tour, we might prove if that is true?"

With a grin, I ask Jojee to provide the tour. "Jo thinks this is her ship, it's only appropriate. We'll meet in the common room after?"
  • Jojee and Darkal head off on an impromptu tour

Amarath-header
    Amarath watches him leave. "Why did you get his space heinie, Ladro? I mean, yours is well and good, but there's... something special about Darkal's. Don't know why sis turned him down." Squall elbows Amy and she laughs it off. Squall shakes her head, not really mad about it.

Hosk says, "Want to get out the rot gut, or are you putting on airs, Lad?"

I make a dignified harrumph. "I think we have to put out the good stuff, in honor of my family's renowned high-quality space heinies." I give Amy a wink.
  • Amarath-header
    "No arguments here." Squall and Amy head to the common room. Squall says something low and Amy throws her arm around zir and kisses zir temple. Hosk heads to grab "the good stuff" from a storage locker.

I notice the gentle moment between Squall and Amarath, and it warms me a bit. I know they're never going to be uncomplicated, but it's good to see some of that "couple" tenderness between them. Hopeful. I'll wait a moment and then follow to the common room, waiting for Hosk and booze, and Jojee and Darkal. This should be an interesting night.
  • You arrive after Squall and Amy have taken seats next to each other at the dining table. Hosk comes in next carrying five bottles in his arms, very carefully. Down the hall you hear, no lie, a girlish giggle from Jojee after Darkal makes some comment about your quarters, you think. Then they arrive, walking near to each other but not touching. Jojee has the biggest smile.

Darkal-header
    Darkal's looking at her, mostly stealing glances before he straightens up. "This is a fine ship, Captain." He hitched at the end, like he was about to call you "Vos".

Jojee
    "Ooh! Some of that Devaronian Stout!" Jojee exclaims when she sees the bottles.

The crew and Darkal all crowd around the table. Hosk puts glasses in front of everyone and hands you a bottle and an opener, letting you run the show. What's this a bottle of, and what do you do?

I raise an eyebrow at Hosk. This is a bottle of brandy I've had since my first year off Kiffu, and even at that point that label was so old that it was impossible to tell where it was from. Apparently, he took "good stuff" literally. It was a tip from the client on my first run, long before I met anyone here except Darkal. His words were, "Son, you did a fine job of work for me. Take this, and crack it open when you come into your own, among friends. None of you will regret it, I assure you."

Seems right. I chip off the wax seal with the blade of the opener, then pry out the cork. Pour a touch for each of us. The first sip should be savored.

I raise my glass.
  • Not even Amarath breaks the moment. Each being takes their glass with a hint of reverence, holds them up with yours.

What do you toast, Ladro?

Suddenly, the moment has weight, depth. "To families, no matter how problematic. The ones we're born to, and the ones we make." I knock back my glass.
  • Amarath-header
    "To families!" Amarath heartily agrees and downs her glass.

Squall sips zirs, looking at Amy, then you, then Jojee and Hosk.

Jojee drinks her glass steadily, savoring, but not pausing.

Hosk sips his, leaving most in the glass.

Darkal meets your eyes and nods solidly before drinking.

I look around the table. "And now, having formally toasted our karked-up relationships, let's begin the evening. Amy, surely you have a favorite story about my dear brother to share? From back in the day?"
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath's eyes flash with excitement at the opportunity to tell a tale about Darkal, "Should I tell them the one about the time you sneaked into my bedroom by accident instead of my sister's, Darkal?" Jojee bursts out laughing and Squall gawks at Darkal who shakes his head, holding up a hand, but not in the least denying it. Hosk is ignoring Amy, just looking at the glass.

Darkal-header
    "Hold on, now." Darkal says with a hand up. "I did apologize..."

Squall looks between the two of them, "Did you two...?"

They both answer, "No." Almost the same time. Jojee practically howls at that.

I listen to the rest of the story that Amy eventually tells, and let the merriment continue for a bit, but I'm catching Hosk's demeanor. I address him directly, hoping to draw him out. "Hosk, friend.... brother. Would you care to offer a toast to your loved ones? Or any other toast?" I don't say what I know, but I'm hoping against hope that my close-mouthed partner will follow the old rule of Callahan's Bar, on Nar Shaddaa. 'Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased. Thus do we refute entropy.'
  • edited January 2015
    Hosk stands, which for him means he's about eye-level with Darkal, holding his half-full glass aloft. With mirth he doesn't seem to feel, he offers up,
    "All care to the wind we merrily fling,
    For the damp, cold grave is a dead sure thing.
    It's a dead sure thing we're alive tonight!
    And the damp, cold grave is out of sight."

Amarath stands with him, then downs her second glass. Squall nods, and drinks, while Jojee holds up her glass to clink with Darkal's. Your brother raises his glass with a nod, then everyone downs theirs. Even Hosk finishes his glass.

I hold up my refilled glass and drink, with a nod to Hosk. After that, I let the evening flow, asking questions and telling stories. I put on a recording of some jazzy dance music that I know Squall likes, but don't turn it up too loud.
  • The bottle is gone too soon, but nobody complains when you move onto a second, then third bottle. Squall slips a hand underneath the table and puts it on Amy's lap. It doesn't look like ze is doing anything "untoward", just watching her while they drink. Hosk's toast seems to have broken the dam a bit, and he's drinking with the others, sharing stories about fighting alongside droids in the Clone Wars. He fought in the Battle of Geonosis, saw Mace Windu defeat Jango Fett. He gets up and dances around as he describes the fight. He leaves out any part he took in it, but there's a thrill in his eyes that he was a part of history.

Jojee gets up to dance, because, you know, you probably expected that. She pulls Darkal up and slips her arms around his neck. It isn't the active type of dance you've seen from her, the music doesn't seem to match that. Darkal's hands drift to her hips. How does that strike you, Ladro?

It's good seeing Hosk open up, and I do notice that he always seems to underplay his own actions. I ask a few questions to keep him going until he peters out.

As to the dancing, I'm certainly not going to begrudge Jojee or my brother a moment of sweetness. We all lead uncertain lives, prone to sudden violence and danger. I gave Darkal my thoughts about Alanna earlier, but she's not right here, and Jojee is. The attraction's been clear from the first.

Watching, though, it does occur to me that I could have planned this better. No one for the captain to dance with! Oh, well. I nod my head with the rhythm and start telling Amy and Squall an old Kiffar tall tale, about a giant woodsman and his great blue bantha, Babe.
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath smiles wide as you tell the tale. She's already a little tipsy, and corrects you a few times, stuff like, "No No! Babe was FEMALE, Ladro. This is very important, Squally." and "He chopped down trees in ONE blow. It was amazing!"

Squall shakes zir head, trying to keep the peace when ze sees a bit of irritation from you for the interruptions, "Amy, let him tell the story. You've got the next one."

Darkal-header
    "Amy," Darkal says while still slowly dancing with Jojee, "Ladro tells it better. You always bring in blasters and droidekas."

Amarath-header
    "There is... NOTHING. No story ever, that wasn't better with blasters added in." Amarath says as if stating a universal truth.

Amy might have a point, about blasters, but I'm not going to concede it now. Meeting Squall's eye, I go on. "...and when it came time for breakfast, old Bon Jon ate so much, and the griddle was so long that, to grease it up, two of the cooks had to strap big old hunks of lard to their feet and skate across it back and forth, like it was a frozen lake." I recount a few more of the little anecdotes, steadfastly refusing to include blasters in even one of them. When I finish, I lean back in my chair and give the traditional closing. "And that... is the truth, and anyone that says otherwise can go piss into the wind."
  • Amarath-header
    Without another word, Amarath stands up, and giving you the stink eye, she starts heading towards the airlock to go outside, dramatically working at her belt. Squall rolls zir eyes and follows. Seems like Squall isn't drunk at all, just sort of playing at it.

Jojee and Darkal start to wander off, looks like maybe back to her quarters. It's just you and Hosk. You can practically see his faked murth drizzle out as he slumps back down in his chair, elbows on the table.

"Sorry to have sprung this on you, Hosk. Thanks for playing along." I pour us each just a touch more.
  • edited January 2015
    Hosk takes a couple sips before replying, "No trouble, Lad. Glad you're enjoying family. Don't know what you got till it's gone. You know?" He nods, "Yeah, you know. How's things with your mother?"

"It's not exactly springtime, but I think the ice has thawed a little bit, at least. I hope we can start making progress now."
    The bothan nods, makes a nonverbal sound of understanding. "Does it bother you that your older brother is about to kriff your pilot?"

You hear Squall's voice laughing at Amarath. It seems she really did go piss in the wind, just to prove a point.

I listen to Squall's laugh for a moment before answering. "You'd think so, wouldn't you? But it doesn't, really. I don't see how it hurts anything, especially since everything could go ponfar-shaped at any moment."
    A smirk curls on the corner of Hosk's long mouth, "Not worried about slightly off-purple, face tattooed brats calling you uncle? heh."

"That is a terrifying thought, Hosk." I shudder. "Did you ever want a family, Hosk? A wife, children?"
    Hosk huffs a breath, looks down at his now empty glass, "Nope. Never did. Growing up, never got attached to any lady in particular, then joined the Trade Fed Army, bounced from rock to rock, drinking, fighting and karking. Never made much sense, you know?" He looks up, ears drooping, "Why kind of dad would I be, Lad? All I've got can be stowed in a five by five. I've still got some cousins, they'll move on, the family won't die off. Won't even miss me when I'm gone." He's still looking towards you, but it feels like through you for a moment. "I imagine you as a father. But how does that work with Ahji Dar?" He seems genuinely interested, like he's thought about this before.

That knife was so sharp I barely felt it sliding between my ribs. "I don't think it does, Hosk. Biology aside, she's never expressed any interest in that sort of 'settling down.' Well, once she offered to bring me with her on her ship, as crew of course, but that's the closest we've gotten." I take a slow sip. "I don't know how I feel about children, in general. I think I'd want the galaxy to be a better place before I did that."
    Hosk nods thoughtfully at that. No comments, other than a brisk nod of agreement.

Factory_Control
    "Captain Shade." Factory Control comes in over your personal comm. "Sorry to interrupt, but I would like to speak with you as your earliest convenience."

I give Hosk an apologetic look, then excuse myself to meet FC. Once I get there, "I should have invited you to join us, Factory Control, sorry for that. What is it?"
  • edited January 2015
    Factory_Control
    "There is no need to apologize. I have no need for intoxicants nor do I desire attempts at copulation. I appreciate the sentiment, sir." Factory Control spins its head to fix an amber light on you like a bright eye. "I was monitoring subspace relay chatter via the extra-planetary comm dish within the city grid. I caught the transponder codes from Captain Sark's primary shuttle. I believe within a reasonable degree of mathematical certainty that he is off the Star Destroyer, and on the move."

"On the move? Any sense to where? Or even a sense as to from where?"
  • Factory_Control
    "He is leaving The Sword of Destiny." Factory Control answers. "He's accessed the Rimma Trade Route beacons. It appears he's headed to the Outer Rim. He could hit any number of planets along the route, but cross-referencing his network of contacts, there is a strong chance he is headed to Eriadu"

I nod, a bit unfocused at first, but keying in. "No way I'm getting my crew, or myself, off-planet before they have some time to recover. One of the disadvantages of managing, or being, flesh-and-blood, I suppose. Any way we can arrive at Eriadu at around the same projected time, if we leave in ten hours?"
  • Factory_Control
    "It is unlikely, Captain Shade. He already has a two day lead on us. His trips are normally one or two days in length, then he returns to his Star Destroyer base. I recommend leaving immediately."
  • edited January 2015

Deep sigh. "Thirty minutes, then. Thank you. Can you work with the astromech to have us ready to go? Jojee and Squall won't like it, but needs must, when the darkside drives."

Sure, I'm slurring when I get on the general comms, but kriff me, this is important. "We're lifting off in forty. Limited window to cross paths with Sark. Sorry, all. Course will be laid in, and the Margin will be ready to get off-planet. Do what you need to."
  • Hosk wasn't really drunk, so he heads to the engine room. He's picked up most of the pre-flight checks that Squall does. He does it without grumbling, just doing the work.

Amarath comes storming up from one of the cargo holds a minute later, pulling Squall by the hand.

"We have forty minutes!!!! It's MY TURN, Amy!"

Amarath-header
    Amarath keeps pulling zir along to the Engine Room, "I'm not losing my shot at this sleemo, Squally. I'll give you four turns if you fall in line, yeah?"

Squall starts walking along, now, "Four turns? Well..."

Darkal-header
    Darkal comes out of Jojee's room, looking around for you. He catches you in the hall. He's fully dressed. "I should let you get to it, brother." He offers a hand.

Jojee's door slides open again, and she comes out, zipping up her flight suit. She glares at you for a moment of frustration, then heads for the bridge.

I clasp Darkal's hand. "Be well, Darkal. I'll speak with you soon." Once he leaves, I follow Jojee to the bridge. "Sorry about that, Jo. Just can't miss this chance." I put a hand on her shoulder as she starts her pre-flights.
  • edited January 2015
    Jojee
    Jojee gives Darkal a glance as he leaves, "We're coming back here, right? You better say yes."

"Soon, if not immediately. We'll definitely be back."
  • Jojee
    Your pilot plops into her chair and starts flipping switches in a practiced motion, her head turning to focus on the work, "Alright, then. Let's go find Sark and kick him in the shebs."

"Good plan, Jojee." I sit in my chair, comms on, monitoring everything but not interfering unless someone asks for a hand. "FC should have a course laid in."