[Junk XIII] Checking the Crew (S 3-6)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Stitch,

The little caravan just pulled up onto Tradertown and Kiddo took the Candies, minus Zagnut, off to find Big Time. Metro puts the van into park and turns to you. "Would you like to head into Tradertown now? They have some decent medical supplies. I didn't check them thoroughly."

The place has this odd feeling, like being on a shambling cruise liner. Ethan took you on a cruise, didn't he?

What do you do?

Comments

• I feel a weird pang- Ethan took me on a cruise of Mare Nubium- the ship moved on big tracks similar to this one. The trip was his apology after the first time he hit me. He promised to never do it again.

"Uh, yeah." I reply, distracted by my memories. I'll be glad for some more stock.
  • Metro narrows his eyes, "Are you tired? Its late, you can sleep."
  • "No, it's ok. Just remembering... before." I say. "I'm sorry about the AI. Maybe something will pop up?" I wonder if this has happened before- a ping.

OOC: Open brain incoming.
  • OOC: Open brain. Roll+weird. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 13)
  • edited November 2013
    You slide into that other space, looking for another ping.

You sense a great many things here. First, there are a number of older folks here who have their own pings. They are softly broadcasting. There are chips in their heads. These chips are connected, a kind of mesh network that is inactive, dormant.

But you're not looking for that, are you? You find Metro in the feed, a shining piece of fabricated wonder, and you hone in on his ping. And like a tracker, you sniff around the crew for something like it.

And you don't find it, not active. But you find the echoes of it, the smell of it. It is carried by the living Cassandra man, the one who sees into the futures and keeps quiet because nobody listens. Nobody ever listens. The AI lies within his satchel, inert for now. But that's the one. That's the ping.

Last but not least.. Tradertown itself, it is not unlike an organism. It has veins of air ducts and a mechanic heart, and it has a presence. It feels alive.
  • "Oh!" I say, closing my eyes. "This place..." Was that Brillo? I blink my eyes a couple times, refocusing.

I take Metro's hand. "Come on, I think I know who's got your friend."
  • Metro smirks, "You know, I think that's assumptive, calling her a friend." But he steps out. I assume you head to find Brillo?

Brillo is rifling through pack right now, getting ready to go trade. He looks up when you walk up, "Hullo." He seems curious, a bit surprised you both walked up on him. Cheetos is not around, Rinso is watching some Tradertown folk. Svenja is chatting with Zagnut, so you're effective alone.

What do you do?
  • "I'm calling her your friend so I don't have to figure out what else to call her." I tell him.

Yeah, I steer us to the place where I 'saw' Brillo, letting go of Metro's hand a ways before we get there. "Trust me." I say quietly, knowing he can hear me above the din of the place.

"Hey Brillo." I say. "What are you up to?"
  • Metro nods, like he trusts you without being told, and follows your lead.

Brillo blinks a couple times, I'm going to trade. There are fabulous deals here, if you're willing to haggle. Do you need a guide?"
  • I bite my lower lip and widen my eyes a bit. "Yes! My friend is looking for tech stuff- can you help us? I don't know what I'm looking at if it's not medical tech..." I say eagerly.
  • Brillo's mouth hangs open for a second before he realizes it. He blinks hard behind his big goggles and nods, "But, of course! I am thrilled to act as your guide in this slightly unsavory place. Is there a particular technology you most, ah, most desire?"

He hets his satchel, an arm over it protectively, and starts leading you off the parking platform towards the labyrinthine pathways inside.

What do you do?
  • "Oh! Great!" I say. I look back towards Metro. "What was it you were looking for again? You said what it looked like but I can't remember!"

OOC: Read a person incoming.
  • OOC: Read Brillo. Roll+sharp. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 4. Total: 12)
  • edited November 2013
    Metro falls right in, "I'm looking for a set of transistors, and any kind of power converters they have..."

"I thought you were in Bubble City when they just came through?" Brillo asks curiously.

Metro smirks, "I was. But I was busy working on the tower." He looks to you, Stitch, "I only had the courage to come here because she's here... you know, to save me if we get in trouble."

"Mmn hmn..." Brillo says, not entirely convinced.
  • "No, the other thing." I say to Metro, meeting his eyes. "The ping-thing. I don't remember what you called it." I'm trying not to be obvious about it, but I'm wanting him to describe the AI unit that I think Brillo has.

I turn back to Brillo. "This thing is so huge! How do you know where you're going?"

OOC: What does Brillo wish I'd do?
  • Metro makes an "ah ha" expression and says, "Oh yes, the network transponder. It's pretty rare, but most folks would overlook it..."

Brillo stops walking, turns around, arm still over his satchel, "I know what you're talking about, Metro. Stitch, why do you want such a thing?"

Brillo wishs you'd be straight with him. Metro tipped him off by accident.
  • I sigh. So much for trying to be sly. "I don't want it. Metro does." I say to him. "Can we trade for it?" I ask.

OOC: How can I get Brillo to trade for it?
  • "I'm sure you can trade for something like that, if we find it."

Metro moves closer, "We know you have one, Brillo..."

He pulls the satchel behind his body, "You cannot trade for her. There's nothing you have that's worth her. She's... she's my only friend."

He won't trade. You'll have to take it.
  • My brow furrows. I thought we were friends. I mean, we don't know each other super well, but we talked when I first got to Boomtown. And after I got back. I take a step back. Well fine. This damn planet may have sharpened my corners, but I'll be damned if I'm just gonna take something from someone because I want it. That's not how I operate.

"Fine." I say, jaw clenched, and turn around to walk away.
  • I get a few steps away and turn on my heels and stomp back up to Brillo, looking him right in the eye. "If she's really your friend, you'd be interested in what she wanted. Not just keeping her for yourself." I exhale, staring at him.

OOC: What does Brillo intend to do?
  • Metro hasn't moved, Stitch. He's still standing right there near Brillo. So when you come back, Brillo actually looks a little spooked. He blinks a few times, and his over-sized goggles make his eyes look gigantic, "Muh... I'm. I'm protecting her. From-from all of them! he gestures towards, well basically the entire world.

Then Metro says in an even tone, "Let us talk to her, Brillo."

His giant eyes glare, "I... I don't know you, Metro. Stitch, she is a good person. I will... I will show her."
  • I open my mouth to defend Metro, but I doubt Brillo would believe me. This planet is a place where people will kill you for fun and eat you for food. I shudder a tiny bit."Ok." I nod to Brillo.

"You got anything you want me to pass on?" I ask Metro.
  • Metro moves close and whispers in your ear, "Tell her she's not alone."

Brillo blinks big and says, "Come with me, we'll need to trade for some place private. Do you have some jingle I won't be a full barter, just some tin."

He pays for you to get "a room", the owner, an older woman with no teeth, assumes its for sex. Inside is a small mattress, no sheet, nothing else.

What do you do?
  • I nod to Metro and give him a small smile. "Wait for me?" I don't want to wander around this place alone.

"Yeah." I tell Brillo, digging around in my pack. I don't really have much- Ronnie saw to that. I gasp as his face flashes across my eyes. I blink a few times to clear it. I take a calming breath and toss over a single chillstab. I hate to just trade away medical supplies, but this is important.
  • Metro smirks as if to say "naturally".

After following Brillo, you come into the room, which smells of human waste and sweat. There are used needles in one corner, and to the other side of the mattress, you see four doll's heads. One of them look like something you had as a kid. What doll do you recognize?

Brillo closes the door securely, then ambles over to kneel by the mattress and lays his big bag on it. He looks up at you for a moment, like he's fighting worry, but looks back down at the bag. "You won't understand. Not at first."

He reaches in to pull out a large, spherical pillow. You've seen it before, he's slept on it every night during the trip. Hell, you saw him lying on it back at Boomtown.

He gently unzips the large blue cover, that has puffy white clouds painted in intricate patterns, and he pulls the pillow open, digging past the stuffing to pull out what looks like a mannequin's head in bubble wrap. He carefully unwraps it and inside you see this:
    lime

The eyes are open and unfocused, the face locked into that same expression

"This... is lime." Brillo says softly.

What do you do?

• I have to resist the urge to go over and take a pulse. Not there there's anywhere to do that.

"Hello." I say softly, waiting for her to blink or move her eyes.
  • There's a pregnant pause, as Brillo holds her head up, by the hair. No response. He blinks and mumbles, "Sorry..." as he reaches behind her head to press something with an audible click.

Through the hole of her neck, you hear soft sounds of mechanical pieces whirring and spinning up, and after a few minutes, the eyes blink, and the mouth moves slightly. Brillo beams. Then he says, "She is most comfortable responding to questions... lime, this is Stitch. She is a doctor, like LeeValley, or his father. She is from a crashed ship, she has been here for a very short time. Would you like to say hello?"

"hello, Stitch." lime says in a soft, almost meek tone. She looks at you with her wide, eyes.

What do you do?
  • "Hello, lime." I say to her. "How are you doing?" I realize it's probably a dumb question after I ask it.
  • lime looks away, like she's processing for a moment, then answers, "I am eighteen percent functional. My access to the feed is severely hampered. I am sixty-seven local solar years out of warranty.... I am not doing very well."

She blinks a couple times, eyes looking all over you, "How are you doing, Stitch?"
  • "I am doing ok, thank you." I answer her. "Access to what feed?" I ask.

• OOC: Read lime. Roll+sharp. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 3. Total: 10)
  • lime blinks a few times, "I am sorry to have been unclear, Stitch. I was referring to the feed that was once focused around the colony ship crash that brought me here, but after the diaspora, I discovered that there is a secondary feed from satellite data, as well as a tertiary, but much less useful feed consisting of the colonists who were implanted with datachips for monitoring and surveillance."

She grins just the tiniest fraction at her more complete answer, then asks, "You survived a recent crash? Were they any other survivors? Is your ship intact? Were they any artificial people aboard? I am aware of one nearby."
  • "Yes, a few weeks ago." I answer her. "Two other survivors, yes. I don't know if there were any artificial people on board- I was in stasis."

I hesitate, not wanting to spill Metro's secret, but also wanting to pass his message along. I look over to Brillo. "Yes, he says to say you are not alone."

OOC: What is lime really feeling? What does she intend to do? What does she wish I'd do?
  • lime blinks and listens, her face expressive as she watches you. She gives a sad little smile when you deliver Metro's message.

As for how lime is really feeling, she's sad. She knows she's near the end of her existence, that she is a shadow of her former self with little chance of improvement. She intends on helping Brillo however she is still able, as she would anyone.

She would very much like to be repaired. If she could either have a body or be uploaded into a fully functioning computer that can handle her code, she would be much more satisfied with her existence.
  • "Metro can help her." I tell Brillo. "He's building the radio towers..." I stop mid-sentence. Of course Brillo won't want Metro to help. He wants lime to stay how she is, so he's not alone. That I do understand.

I sigh. There was a tiny part of me that hoped to talk to her about the three laws. About seeing if there was a way to circumvent them, so Metro could be free. He said she was more advanced, so I'd hoped, but...

It's all really up to Brillo at this point.
  • It sounds like you're trying to manipulate Brillo into giving lime an opportunity with Metro's help.

Let's see some dice.
  • OOC: Manipulate Brillo. Roll+hot.
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 9)
  • Brillo blinks, then looks at lime, then to you, and back again. He asks lime, "Do you want to see if Metro can... help you, lime?"

lime says quietly, "I would like... to try."

Then Brillo moves closer to you, Stitch, and demands, "Tell me why we should trust Metro."
  • "Because I trust Metro." I reply, knowing that won't be enough. "And because he is an artificial person." I say, waiting for it to sink in.

"It's not my secret to tell, but he wants to help her. He's all alone."
  • lime blinks a couple times, looking past you. Then her eyes focus again, and she says, "Brill.." But she can't finish the sentence.

Brillo pulls her up to look into his face and hurriedly asks, "What is it lime?"

lime close her eyes thankfully, and says smoothly, "She tells the truth. The other artificial person is called Metro. He is... older than I am. But still functional. I want to meet him, But..." lime blinks, like she has more to say, but is unable to express it.

Brillo says, "What more? But what, lime?"

"But there is something else. Another presence in the feed. I'm... I am scared of it. It wants to subsume us."
  • "Can I go get Metro?" I ask Brillo. I'm chilled by the idea of another presence in the feed. Does Metro know about it? Would it harm him?
  • Brillo nods, and lime says, "Please."

What do you do?
  • I slip out the door and go get Metro. I'm a little nervous walking around alone, but it's not far.
  • Metro was heading towards you. He looks excited, "How did she look? I spoke with her briefly." He's following you back to them.
  • "She looked tired." I reply. I take his hand- this place, something about it- creeps me out.

"She said she was at eighteen percent functionality. She said she sensed you, and something else." My face is drawn. I'm worried about that something else.
  • Metro holds your hand, his is cool to the touch and dry. He opens the door, and walks in. After some hesitation, Brillo hands lime's head to him. Metro holds her with both hands so they can look eye to eye. They don't speak aloud, but it's obvious they are communicating.

Brillo watches quietly, but looks over to you.

What do you do?
  • I stand next to Brillo, our arms touching. I consider hugging him or taking his hand, but I don't. "It will be ok." I tell him.

I look at Metro. What if he gives her a body? I try to push those thoughts away.
  • edited November 2013
    Their silent communication continues, stretches even longer. Brillo sighs lightly, "What if... she doesn't need me anymore? It's so selfish, I know. But she's my only friend. I'm so lonely when she's not with me."
  • "She will still be your friend." I reassure him. "I know how you feel." I sigh, the weight of a hundred years on my shoulders.

And hell, if they decide they'd rather have the company of each other, Brillo and I will have each other to drink with. I chuckle to myself.
  • Still looking fondly at her, Brillo says, "lime was nearly destroyed when the pods fell. I took her to Lemieux the Technician. He was able to restore minimal functions. I've kept her with me since then. The, ah, androids of the pods nearly killed everyone, they are not thought of fondly."

Brillo turns to look at you, "How did you discover Metro is... one of them?"
  • "Oh." I say. I don't know much about the history of this planet- I can't just go around asking what happened when I wasn't here.

"He guessed I wasn't from here. He... he was from the first iso-cube program. We bonded over our old age." I smile.
  • Brillo blinks his big eyes, "Hrm... you don't looke that old."

lime finally blinks, and Metro eases back from the long stare. It seems that their communication has completed. All in all, it took perhaps fifteen minutes.

Metro searches the room until his eyes land on yours, Stitch. He walks to you and Brillo, and gently hands lime to him. "Brillo, you need to see Lemieux. He should be able to help lime further. He is located at the opposite end of Tradertown." He puts a hand on your shoulder, Stitch, "We worked together to research this presence in the feed. It is part of Tradertown. We should go soon. It knows we are here somewhere."

What do you do?
  • "What is it?" I ask Metro, wrapping an arm around his back.

"Should we look for supplies or just get out of here?" I ask. I'd like to get more stock for my kit, but this place makes me feel like someone is watching me.
  • edited November 2013
    lime answers your question, "It is a kind of hivemind that grows stronger and more varied with each new member of the community. It does not want interesting visitors to leave. It is thinks we are... interesting."

Metro adds, "By "we", lime means all of us." He squeezes your shoulder, "Let's go shopping now, not later."

With some worry in his voice, Brillo asks, "May we accompany you?"

"This is not wise, Brillo," lime answers, "The more of us together, the more attention we draw. We should go back to the truck and stay with the guards."

What do you do?
  • That is... scary. "Ok." I reply to Metro as Brillo asks his question. My brow furrows with worry. What if I get separated from Metro? I don't want to walk around this place alone, but I really don't want a hivemind taking an interest in me.

"See you later?" I say to Brillo. "It'll be ok. They are smart, they know what to do." I reach my hand out to squeeze his.
  • Brillo nods and talks to lime as Metro squeezes your hand and leads you out of the dingy hovel you rented. "Anything other than medical supplies?" He keeps holding your hand tight as he leads you through a narrow passageway between two towering multi-layered apartments and offices and shops.
  • I shake my head no. I loaned some jingle to Kiddo for a bike and I won't have anything left after I get the supplies. I'd like another change of clothes or some yarn to make a sweater with, but those will have to wait.

I hold onto his hand tight and try not to get distracted by the hustle and bustle of Tradertown.
  • Let's see how this hunt goes for you, Stitch

When you go into Tradertown looking for a person or thing, roll +Weird. On a Hit, you find it or them. On a 10+, you find out with no trouble and they don't know you're coming.
    On a 7-9, choose 1 to be true:
    * You either drop a jingle to find it or fight someone for it
    * The bloke who pointed you in the right direction needed a favor from you

On a miss, you run into someone you never expected to find here. They might be looking for you. Name them, and the MC will set up the situation.
  • OOC: Roll+weird. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 3. Total: 8)
  • edited November 2013
    OOC: You fight someone for it
  • edited November 2013
    As the two of you were hunting for medical supplies, Metro commented that the shop he visited just days ago must have moved. A dingy guy in his thirties overheard, introduced himself as Stelite, and offered to take you to the new location.

He led you into a dark alley with a dead-end, then pulled a knife on you, demanding your jingle. How did you fight or get away from Sterlite?
  • For a second my blood ran ice cold as I remembered one of the Wendys sharpening a knife. But then something happened- I wasn't scared anymore- I was angry. I pulled my stun gun out of my pocket and hit him just as he rushed me. He fell to the ground and it was over in a second. I let out a breath and looked over to Metro. I grabbed the guy's knife and resisted the urge to kick him. We got the hell out of there.
  • It happened so fast that Metro didn't get to react. As you ran off, he checked the guy's vitals then followed you. Funny enough, Sterlite got you just around the corner from the concrete building where the med supplies could be bought.

Inside is a guy named Alehouse, portly, sunken eyes, older with a closely trimmed salt and pepper beard. He knows his stuff, you think he's trained. He has a decent set of instruments for sale, and some stuff you can use to resupply stock. One barter per stock, that's his price.
  • It's nice to talk to someone who's trained apart from Kim. His stuff looks good and I'm tempted to just buy one stock and call it a day, but Brillo said deals could be had for haggling.

• OOC: Read Alehouse. Roll+sharp. +1xp for rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 3. Total: 8)
  • "Is there any work I could do? I've got enough for one stock, but I could really use the instruments, too." I ask him.

OOC: How could I get Alehouse to trade me both the instruments and the 1-stock?
  • Alehouse seems impressed with your general knowledge from the brief conversation you had before you started talking about a deal. He reaches up to scratch his scraggly chin, "If you'd be willing to run my clinic for a few nights, I could fill your stock before you go. You know, professional courtesy. A stock per night?"
  • I look over to Metro. "How long are we staying?" I'm not super keen to stay with the hivemind and all, but it's a tempting offer.
  • edited November 2013
    Metro looks at the door, just a glance, then back to you, "We could stay for a few days, let you get what you need, then leave in the van." He glances to Alehouse, "Do we handle our own food and lodging?"

Alehouse answers, "I can put you up at my place, on the couch, share my food with you, Stitch. But not the both of you. Too crowded in my little place"
  • "That won't be necessary." I say to Alehouse. "I'll take the stock as my payment and we'll find our own lodging and food. I don't want to put you out."
    Separating from Metro is a deal-breaker. I'm not going to sleep on some stranger's couch without him.

I turn to Metro. "Two nights ok?" I don't want to stay a second longer than I have to.
  • Metro nods.

Alehouse takes that as enough haggling, and says, "How soon can you start?"

Anything left in this scene?
  • I look over to confirm with Metro. "Tonight? Can you find a room for us?"

I realize after the fact that I've just cost us some jingle- if he needed somewhere else to sleep, he'd just wander around Tradertown. He doesn't sleep. Crap. And I don't have much to pay with.
  • Metro nods slightly, "I'm sure we can find something. Or stay in the van."

You work out any last details and leave Alehouse to get some sleep. Do you want to sleep in an actual bed? That room you rented with Brillo is possibly still available... and paid for.
  • No, I'd much rather go sleep in Metro's van.
  • --END SCENE--