[UW] The Flame Tree Festival [Robynne, Allevard 2.1]

2»

Comments

It's beef flavored. The sensation of feeling sated by gel is galling in the best of circumstances, the false meatiness makes it surreal.

I simply grunt in response to the chances keeping the pistol will give me. I hide it in my jacket, not feeling eager about it.

"If I have to lose Terci, it will be a serious setback. Loyalty can't be bought the same way expertise can." I work through half a tube of gel, fantasizing about any sort of food cart on a street near the festival instead.

"Let's just say I hope to be surprised by your flexibility.. What's your name?"

• edited July 2016

photo f4aba857-c31d-49b5-95ea-a0d367a37573_zpsls7wzncz.png

He smirks, slightly. "Corvus Mar, SID-Six, Sai."

TXR Special Investigations Division Section Six... Did you know they were real? How? How much do you know about them? Most employees in TXR joke about Section Six. It's something a friend of a friend made up. A black ops team that disappeared the incompetent or unfortunate. "Sixed your review, did you?"

Mar stops... listening to his feed again.

"Visitors... downstairs. That's going to cut our time."

"Huh. Well, good to actually meet you, Corvus."

Arguments about business tend to erupt in places where they shouldn't, and SID-Six deals in sensitive matters. I learned they were real by eavesdropping on Onlay Rioccan and my Prime, in some private nook of a public event. Otherwise, though, I haven't had much opportunity to discover what they do and who they report to.

My theory is it's someone high up on the board, and that they attempt to seal up company breeches of honor before it becomes known by the Empire.

"Oh?" I pocket the last gel pack and ready myself to behave like I was just feeling five minutes ago. Visitors..

• He nods sharply still listening. "Noble... Imperial Family? Bloody hell, it's Lady Bai."

His tone is that flat one you've heard military types take when things have just gotten immeasurably worse. The increasing tension of his jaw says that he's not happy about this development and that he's managing a lot of options in his head.

Lady Bai? She's here right now? She can only have come here for me. Certainly not alone. I wonder what she and the crew have planned.

Tamping down my excitement, I ask Corvus, "What should I be ready for?"

• edited July 2016

He looks at you sharply.

"Disaster if she discovers the full scope of this incident. The Imperial family will have TXR over a barrel." He curses. "She's a good distraction though, I'll give her that. If your sib doesn't manage it, I'll have to eliminate her. We need to get you clear before then. Are you feeling strong?"

"ELiminate? Out of the question, Corvus, she's my crewmember and employee. I can handle the repercussions of anything she discovers on behalf of the company."

I straighten up and look down on him. "As strong as usual, I suppose. Whatever's going on here can wait but I'm going nowhere without your word. You won't kill my crew."

• Let's see face adversity + Influence there Robynne. Unless you have a different idea.

Rolling +Influence;

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 1. Total: 3)

• edited July 2016
    He's a little shorter, being a groundhog and all, but he probably is triple your mass and he closes the distance between you, in your space, holding your eyes with his own flinty gaze. Unfortunately his breath hasn't improved. His voice is tight.

"Employee, Mixter? Lady Bai has been Imperial counterintelligence for more than 50 years. She is one of the best. And deception is her trade. The only thing that scares me more than what I know about her 'interventions' is what I don't know. You should not ever underestimate her. Whatever your instincts tell you, it's what she wants you to think."

He settles back a little. "Whatever story she sold you, but you can be sure it bears as much resemblance to the truth as a chrysanthemum does a rabid wolf. I wouldn't be surprised if your being here is some stratagem of hers. And if she gets hold of the truth of this, TXR and your entire family is at stake."

He glances at the door.

"Look, I can't make that promise. You come with me willingly, and we'll make a try for your girl. Otherwise I'll knock you silly and carry you out of here, and she can take her chances."

It's clear he considers Bai a grave threat. Does that introduce any uncertainty in you?