[Junk XIII] Breakdown (J 5-2)

edited November 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

What was it? A blown gasket? Ran out of petrol? Why did the buggy break down here of all places, halfway between Bubble City and Oasis? The good news is that there's practically nothing of note from here to Oasis, so that means there aren't many raider gangs riding around.

Of course, bad news is that the reason there's nothing her is that... there's no water, no animals, nothing but scrub, hot days and cold nights. It's a six day walk to Oasis from here. At least you're pretty sure.

Rinso's helping you strip down all the stuff you can carry when he says, "Well... I guess I won't hafta chop off my pinky after all."

What are you guys stripping down to take with you? Why are you so sure this is going to work, out, Jack?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    What a piece of junk! How do you own a motor-vehicle, and not know to change the oil? Were I capable of fixing this run-down piece of junk, we'd be in a better way; but a six-day walk to Oasis doesn't exactly sound appealing.

Mark my words — I'll be seeing things on top of my other dementia by the end of this.

I turn back to him with a look of disgust on my face, "Really, Rinso? I've done some morbid things in my day — but auto-dismemberment?" I shake my head, "you're simply too punishing on yourself." The good news is, I know for a fact that a trade caravan runs through here any day now. I know, because the Boomtown radio station announced their departure for Oasis just a few days ago. There are some tools in the back of the truck, and a jug of petrol — it would be a shame for it to go to waste.

I put a hand on Rinso's shoulder, "You know... Not that I particularly care how this all gets settled, but are you sure you want to go around removing parts of your body? Kiddo will surely want you back intact..."
  • Rinso looks over at you, replies without cracking a smile, "Listen, Jack. Back when I ran with Cherry, we kidnapped a girl named Orbit, and ransomed her back to her dad, Snapple. He didn't want to play ball, so Cherry cut off her finger and sent it to him." He frowns a bit, "He paid up, we sent her home, but I haven't been back to Oasis. I hear there's a price on my head, since she saw my face."
  • Such brutality... How did this woman convince a man as self-conscious as Rinso to do such terrible things? I step beside him, and lean against the hood of the buggy. "Why don't we give him Cherry as an attempt to make amends? Clearly this woman is dangerous..."
  • He shakes his head, "No way, Jack. I was her partner. I let it happen. It's on me. I mean, hell, she's already paying for all the drek she pulled. Poor girl's a hermit in the middle of nowhere."

Rinso sighs, "I just need this done. Snapple is nothing like Tang. He's just some rich asshole, not a low-life ganger. Ya know?"
  • I furrow my brow skeptically, and purse my lips. "It's on both of you, Rinso, and it's obvious that you're the one dealing with this in a healthy way... If not a bit self-depreciatory. Do you plan on killing him too? Pleading for your life? If nothing else, I presume you intend to talk to him..."

Read incoming.
  • OOC: Reading Rinso. Roll+Weird*. +1XP rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 15)
  • OOC: Holding 3.
    Q1: What is Rinso really feeling right now?
  • Rinso reaches up to scratch the back of his neck, "I wanna make it right, at least give Snapple a chance to feel like we're even. I got all the jingle we took and one more for pain and suffering. I was gonna send that in with my own pinkie, tell him we're even steven. And if he wants to come yell at me, he could. And if he sends some folks out to kill me, then I'd know the only way it ends if I kill him."

Rinso feels miserable. He misses Kiddo, even VB. He wants so desperately to earn Kiddo's trust, but he told her he wouldn't leave, so this is killing him inside. He knows he has to make it safe for Kiddo to accept him, but he doesn't think anywhere is safe, not really. So he's just trying to make up for his past sins. Any way he can think of it.
  • Such a disconcerting predicament... The man must truly hate himself. I look up at the mid-day sun, cursing it under my breath for beating down on us as it is. "She is truly lucky to have a man as selfless as you are," I say calmly, "your past aside... Where is she now, Rinso? Do you know?"

OOC:
    Q2: How could I get Rinso to give up on this fool's errand, and go back to his woman?
  • edited November 2013
    Morose coloring his tone, "I hope she's still in Boomtown... but knowing her, she's out on the road. She took up with the North Candies. But it doesn't matter, Jack. She wouldn't say it, but when I told her about my past, when I ran with Cherry, she was. Hell, she was disappointed in me. Like I'd been lying to her."

He licks his lips, wipes some sweat off his brow, "I mean... was I lying to her? I didn't tell her about the drek we did. Wasn't proud of it, but I just. Drek, Jack, I figured she knew it was bad stuff. Cherry was the only one who'd take me on."

If Rinso thought someone could negotiate some kind of arrangement with Snapple in good faith, he'd let it go. As for Wal-Mart, he's not even sure how to fix that, since Sapphire refused to take a hit on the head of security there.
  • I nod vigorously, a shocked look on my face that this needs to be explained. "A lie of omission is still a lie, Rinso — but surely if she was disappointed in you, then there's hope. Remember what I told you that night back in Boomtown? That you were the man in her heart? Your time would be better served at her side, Rinso. There's a truck coming this way from Boomtown. I say we take it to Oasis. I'll talk to Snapple on your behalf, and then we'll get you to your fair maiden — wherever she may be."
  • Rinso looks at you sidelong for a bit, doesn't reply right away. He looks back at the horizon to the west, puts a hand up to cover his eyes, "You're full of drek, man. I happen to know for sure that Kodak isn't coming this way anytime soon. But I tell you what. If a truck, from Boomtown, does come this way... then evidently the gods sent you to me to help me sort out this mess."

He gives you a half smile, "And if you want to chat with Snapple, I've got ten jingle for you, all I have left. He only paid eight for Orbit, so you've got wiggle room."

"I miss my girls, Jack." Rinso explains sadly, "Kiddo, and VB, too."

---------------

An hour later, you see the truck on the horizon. Rinso claps you on the back and laughs a riotous laugh.

---------------

An hour after that, the truck pulls up. It's Aquafina and a couple of the Libs riding along as security. How long has it been since you saw Aquafina, and how is your relationship?
  • Oh my! It's been months since I've seen sweet Aquafina... The lady has a most exquisite taste in music. I find myself brushing my hair back as the truck rumbles up. Aquafina and I are something of ships passing in the night — two people who quite coincidentally find ourselves in the most unlikely of circumstances. We'll exchange glances, and smile briefly at each other as we pass. She shares in my wanderlust — and we've shared a great deal of things — but as I've said, only for the briefest of moments.

I pat Rinso on the back, and point to the truck as it approaches. "See my good man? Destiny!"

... Or a short-wave radio, I suppose. Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.
  • edited November 2013
    Honeycrisp hops off the bed of the truck where he was sitting as soon as the vehicle slows. Rinso chuckles, "Destiny? I'll take a shower and a warm bed. But this is good enough for now."

Aquafina pulls up alongside the both of you, reaching a hand out of the window towards you, "Jack, you so and so, got car trouble, darlin?" She's smiling like a cat that just ate the family's bird and can barely contain the mirth of getting away with it.

This is her:
    Aquafina
  • I grin back, "always, my dear! It's so hard to find a reliable ride these days — I don't suppose I could tempt you to rescue me from this perilous wasteland with some supplies, could I?"

That woman... Ah, how she smiles.
  • Honeycrisps comes up, looks at both of you, then says, "We get to strip down that buggy on the way back, and you fight with us if we get into trouble there and back." He looks at you, Jack, and adds, "And you owe me one."

Rinso shrugs, like it's not a bad deal, "It'll be cramped. But better than walking. Jack?"
  • I'm partial to not walking as well, so I nod and hop up onto the bed of the truck, making sure I'm closer to the cab — it would be a shame to miss out on whatever wonderful piece Aquafina is playing. I get comfortable, and ask openly to the crowd, "Expecting a lot of trouble, are you?"
  • The truck shifts into gear and starts rumbling along again, leaving the brokeass buggy in the dust. Honeycrisps looks pretty serious when he says, "Not on the way there. But sure as frak on the way back."

Gala responds with, "Yeah... we out ran some Wendys on the way here."

This is Gala:
    Gala
    She's... uhm, he's the oldest Prospect in the Libs, about to make it to full member. Gala identifies as male.
  • edited November 2013
    He looks more like he identifies as a Wendy if you ask me; but I suppose you're not — and from the looks of it, neither is he. I don't flinch at the mention of the Wendy encounter. I'm not surprised.

Of course, it's not pleasant news, but it is to be expected — they're a voracious lot, prone to wander. They get bored. I would know...

"A shame," I loosen my scarf to let the breeze in, "it would be best we don't linger then. Aqua, my dear, how long are you staying in Oasis?"
  • Aqua turns up some old cassette that slightly warped, some heavy rock. The tinny speakers of the truck don't do it justice, but the girl has some pipes, and she wails along. What's the song, Jack?

Aqua puts her arm on top of the backrest to look over her shoulder back at you, "Should be a coupla days, darlin. 'Tech set us up with some trade, an I'm s'pose to bargain hunt for seed an all to bring back. What's got you goin to Oasis?"
  • Damned if I know what song it is — something about Maps I gather — but Aqua's voice carries the measly tune to new heights, and I'm happy to pop my headphones out and listen for a while. I lean back and meet her gaze as she explains her plans, "I'm helping Rinso here set up a deal with an old acquaintance of his... Or rather, settle an old debt with him. The hope is he'll listen to logic — or at the very least jingle. If all goes according to plan, I'd be happy to assist in your little bargain hunting, my dear!"
  • Before she turns back to what passes for a road in the scrub out here, Aqua gives you that patented smile and says, "Well, I would appreciate your company, darlin." Then she's back to driving, picking up speed and the truck bumps along.

Rinso punches you in the arm playfully, and gives you an approving nod.
  • --END SCENE--